Register

Author Topic: Politics '11: Keeping up with the Xornses  (Read 60876 times)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: Politics '11: Keeping up with the Xornses
« Reply #525 on: May 27, 2011, 02:57:41 AM »
The "problem" is culture.  People get tickets for speeding and they gripe about it because it sucks but they deal with it, because they know people get tickets for speeding.  No one up here knows anyone who's gotten a ticket for jaywalking.  It's something people do, and people don't see any reason to change their ways.  I don't have numbers but I'd hazard a guess that jaywalking doesn't increase the incidence of car accidents in cities where it's common, because drivers are on the lookout for walkers, and walkers aren't crazy enough to dart out in the street if there's a possibility a car will actually hit them.

Take it from a guy who cuts through the middle of a 5-way intersection every morning.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 27, 2011, 06:34:08 AM »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 06, 2011, 03:31:31 AM »
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/06/nj_goper_premieres_anti-abortion_suspense_flick_this_weekend.php

For people who thought Seven was a cool movie but the serial killer was the real hero, teaching people about the deadly sins and the fallen state of man.

There is a "pro-life twist" at the end, so I presume our captives will be thanking the captor Stockholm Syndrome style for preventing them from making the terrible mistake of abortion.  The movie will not think about the panic caused for their families and husbands, or the wasted police effort trying to find our kidnapper that could have gone to stopping other criminals, or the fact that only the threat of murder from Our Hero would be stopping the captives from aborting on their own back-alley style (unless they were literally chained to a bed at all times, which would be its own form of torture).

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 06, 2011, 03:43:54 AM »
Idiot of the Day is a few threads over, Snowfire.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 06, 2011, 08:29:18 AM »
Blame Dune for closing the abortion thread, where I first went to post that.

Anyway, in penance, I shall post a new link instead.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/06/world/americas/06peru.html?hp

For those not following Latin American politics, all the sane centrist candidates split the vote and didn't make it to the runoff, leaving behind the probably corrupt conservative daughter of Alberto Fujimori (Keiko) and leftist Ollanta Humala.   And it looks like Humala won in Peru.  This is scary as he said nice things about Hugo Chavez before and, like Chavez, was a military dude involved in a failed coup attempt.  He hasn't campaigned that way, at least, and campaigned as a centrist...  but you never know.  Chavez has certainly reminded people of the old problem of "One man, one vote, one time."  Fujimori would not have been a great pick either, but...  I dunno.  We'll see.  Hope for the best and all.  (Morales in Bolivia hasn't been a completely terrible ruler, at least, so I have some hope for quasi-democratic Chavez allies.)

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 17, 2011, 08:57:18 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/17/opinion/17carter.html?_r=2 <-- Jimmy Carter talks about the war on drugs.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 17, 2011, 11:17:46 PM »
Jimmy Carter continues to be the best ex-president ever.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 18, 2011, 04:44:14 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/18/opinion/18specter.html?ref=opinion

Arlen Specter: Congress should intervene and force the NFL owners and players to come to agreement.  Congress allows the NFL to operate as a monopoly due to a special antitrust exemption, so no one should have cause to complain that Congress is interfering with business if it does so.

I post this because I'm a sadist and I think super will agree with this position, and that agreeing with Arlen Specter will cause him excruciating pain.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 18, 2011, 04:47:57 PM »
I am glad Congress gets to spend time on al the important issues.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 18, 2011, 09:45:32 PM »
Gotta disagree with Arlen Spector here.

Oh, I have nothing against some of his other suggested NFL legislation; the fact that American sports teams don't pay for their own stadiums in America sickens me.

But really?  The economic impact?  Come on.  Hockey is significantly bigger in Canada than NFL is in the States.  Know what happened during the long NHL strike?  People...did other stuff.  Went out to the movies more.  Got into other sports (like the CFL stopped being a non-entity).  Seriously, an NFL lockout might actually be good for the economy, because small businesses would benefit at the expense of the NFL.

Hell, this isn't even like Canada's NHL lockout, where people really had nowhere else to turn.  FFS the college football league in the states is still ridiculously big.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:48:25 PM by metroid composite »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 19, 2011, 01:28:22 AM »
Gotta disagree with Arlen Spector here.

Oh, I have nothing against some of his other suggested NFL legislation; the fact that American sports teams don't pay for their own stadiums in America sickens me.

But really?  The economic impact?  Come on.  Hockey is significantly bigger in Canada than NFL is in the States.  Know what happened during the long NHL strike?  People...did other stuff.  Went out to the movies more.  Got into other sports (like the CFL stopped being a non-entity).  Seriously, an NFL lockout might actually be good for the economy, because small businesses would benefit at the expense of the NFL.

Hell, this isn't even like Canada's NHL lockout, where people really had nowhere else to turn.  FFS the college football league in the states is still ridiculously big.

An NFL lockout would have an ugly localized economic impact in some cities (Especially ones like Green Bay and Jacksonville, where the football team is one of the only draws). I doubt it'd have a serious one on a broad scale. I fully expect this lockout to be over before it could come to this, as A: owners are nearly as fucked as players in a strike unless Doty lets them access their strike fund and B: There is going to be a ton of pressure from sponsors and the like.

That said, Spector is once again talking out of his ass.

Similarly, in the ’90s, when several professional football and baseball teams threatened to move in order to pressure cities to pay for stadium construction costs, I introduced legislation that would have made the antitrust exemption conditional on having the N.F.L. and Major League Baseball (which has a similar exemption) pay three-quarters of such construction costs. Again, the legislation was opposed by lobbyists and did not pass.

One of the strongest assets of any football team is the stadium; it's why a bad team like the Texans have so much value while teams that has been good of late (Like the chargers and vikings) are near the bottom of the NFL franchise value chart.  Much of what you derive from a stadium is unshared revenue (Like parking and concessions) so teams that have newer ones have a notable advantage even with revenue sharing.

Of course, cities shouldn't pay for stadiums and outside of Green Bay they're a bad net economic investment.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #537 on: June 19, 2011, 04:18:43 AM »
The solution obviously is to kick the owners' asses and create more teams like Green Bay *nod*
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 21, 2011, 12:41:23 AM »
http://beta.news.yahoo.com/wal-mart-wins-supreme-court-sex-bias-case-142932169.html

The first big case cut apart by the Supreme Court decision to change their stance on class action lawsuits. Disheartening but expected.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 25, 2011, 04:24:09 AM »
Don't think it's THAT disheartening.  The discrimination case sounded very, very loose - Wal-Mart giving their managers too much discretion, basically.  I can buy that this specific case was too flawed.

Anyway, actual news to post about: New York's Senate, after a lengthy conversation with Mephistopheles and some phone calls from the shadowy Gay Satanist Investment Banker conspiracy, decides to drag the entire state into Hell along with it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/25/nyregion/gay-marriage-approved-by-new-york-senate.html?_r=1&hp

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: June 26, 2011, 04:44:57 PM »
Don't think it's THAT disheartening.  The discrimination case sounded very, very loose - Wal-Mart giving their managers too much discretion, basically.  I can buy that this specific case was too flawed.

It's  not as loose as it sounds; lots and lots of data shows that when you give male managers in a male-dominated culture free reign to hire whoever they want they shaft women, and that's exactly what happened here.  The majority is basically laying out a blueprint for discrimination: let local managers you know or should know are going to do it do it for you, have a nominal but never-enforced policy against it, and you're immune from the consequences of that decision.

The Supreme Court, which is filled with people who know better, had the gall to say that a policy of letting local managers do what they want is "no policy at all" (their words) and hence is not something the defendants are liable for.  That's a disingenuous formation.  A policy of local control is a policy of local control.

Wal-Mart put foxes in charge of the hen house, told them not to eat anything, and looked the other way.  The Supreme Court is allowing them to wash their hands of that.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 28, 2011, 02:58:14 AM »
Well, the thing is, I'd argue that stores have a very good reason for not wanting to micromanage low-level employee promotions and the like: they'd be crap at it.  Even if this was mandated from on high, local management would still basically control the assessments being read / processed, short of some kind of secret shopper deal which can't possibly cover everything.  Now what I'd want to know is what proportion of Wal-Mart's store managers and other local management are men, and what the average in similar industries is.  If somehow Wal-Mart favors men at the local manager position - something which the national organization would be responsible for - then that'd be actionable as a class-action deal, sure.  I don't know the details, though.

Also on the SCOTUS talk, know it was already posted in misc. links, but meh.  Brown v. EMA finished up, with a 7-2 ruling against "violent video games aren't protected free speech so we can regulate them."  I'm a little worried by Alito & Roberts' lukewarm concurrence, but whatevs, Scalia / Kennedy / Ginsburg / Sotomayor / Kagan are still a majority on their own.  However the real gem is Thomas's dissent.  A++ for comedic value, would recommend again.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/08-1448.ZD.html

In the Puritan tradition common in the New England Colonies, fathers ruled families with absolute authority. “The patriarchal family was the basic building block of Puritan society.” S. Mintz, Huck’s Raft 13 (2004) (hereinafter Mintz); see also R. MacDonald, Literature for Children in England and America from 1646 to 1774, p. 7 (1982) (hereinafter MacDonald). The Puritans rejected many customs, such as godparenthood, that they considered inconsistent with the patriarchal structure. Mintz 13.

Part of the father’s absolute power was the right and duty “to fill his children’s minds with knowledge and … make them apply their knowledge in right action.” E. Morgan, The Puritan Family 97 (rev. ed. 1966) (herein-after Morgan). Puritans thought children were “innately sinful and that parents’ primary task was to suppress their children’s natural depravity.” S. Mintz & S. Kellogg, Domestic Revolutions 2 (1988) (hereinafter Mintz & Kellogg); see also B. Wadsworth, The Well-Ordered Family 55 (1712) (“Children should not be left to themselves … to do as they please; … not being fit to govern themselves”); C. Mather, A Family Well-Ordered 38 (1699). Accordingly, parents were not to let their children read “vain Books, profane Ballads, and filthy Songs” or “fond and amorous Romances, … fabulous Histories of Giants, the bom- bast Achievements of Knight Errantry, and the like.  The History of Genesis, pp. vi–vii (3d ed. corrected 1708).

This conception of parental authority was reflected in laws at that time. In the Massachusetts Colony, for example, it was unlawful for tavern keepers (or anyone else) to entertain children without their parents’ consent. 2 Records and Files of the Quarterly Courts of Essex County, Massachusetts, p. 180 (1912); 4 id., at 237, 275 (1914); 5 id., at 143 (1916); see also Morgan 146. And a “stubborn or rebellious son” of 16 years or more committed a capital offense if he disobeyed “the voice of his Father, or the voice of his Mother.”

etc. etc. etc.  Thomas goes ON AND ON about how parents were in charge of everything in 17th-18th century America, which of course leads to the usual originalist argument...  except the insane version, that we must interpret the First Amendment not just in light of what the writers meant at the time (1780s grammar), but also the cultural values of the time.  And cultural values of the time said that free speech doesn't really apply to children.  He even quotes Thomas Jefferson's written instructions on the proper upbringing of his kids...  never mind that these was a PRIVATE FAMILY MATTER rather than a law. 

In other words, if the state legislatures all passed a new Amendment this year that simply said "The First Amendment is repealed" and then followed it up with the EXACT SAME TEXT as the "original" First Amendment, then the video game law would be unconstitutional!  Because now it'd be interpreted in the light of modern values, which do not consider the Father Master Of Everything.  That sounds like fun, actually - we should totally just pass the First Amendment again every year, to keep it up-to-date.  Who would vote against that?!  Plus we apparently need to in order to meet Thomas's guidelines.

Troll harder next time, Thomas.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 28, 2011, 05:44:25 AM »
The Wal-Mart case can be seen, I think, as a microcosm of womens' rights in general.  What Wal-Mart did was not in any respect exceptional.  They, and many other businesses, allowed 'business as usual' to continue, and business as usual meant casual and pervasive discrimination against women.  It is 'merely' a reflection of the widespread sexism that causes women to be paid dramatically less than men, today in 2011, in pretty much every profession.  The conservative men on the Supreme Court have thrown up their hands, said that men are just going to be men, and declared that a nominal anti-sexism policy is all that management of a huge corporation needs to immunize itself, for all practical purposes, from the results of underpaying its female workforce.

As for the violent vidjagames case, it just goes to show that the Supreme Court is a bit unpredictable and protectionist when it comes to children.  Frankly, I expected this to be another 8-1 with Roberts leading the majority and Alito dissenting, just like the crush videos case and just like the funeral protesting case.  Roberts has been zealously pro-free speech in past cases and Alito has expressed a narrow view of what the first amendment protects (nothing he finds icky upsetting, more or less).  But no, the two of them have a lukewarm concurrence together, Breyer and Thomas are dissenting for some reason, and Scalia's writing the majority for the 3 other liberals + Kennedy.  Go fig.

Thomas' dissent...wow.  If the founders had really meant the 1st amendment to be so static, they would have sacked the Supreme Court the second they handed down Marbury v. Madison.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:29:26 PM by NotMiki »

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 30, 2011, 10:10:35 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/06/30/bennett.drug.legalization/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

How wrong do you have to be to have Barney Frank and the NR editing staff both disagree with you? There are several poor statements here (High THC counts are bad, so let's not legalize and not put it under government control! to only big dealers to go jail to my favorite, DRUG USE WILL GO UP 100% NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to the always popular conflating an issue (Hint: painkillers are extremely addictive and our teen drinking rates aren't exactly declining either). I know he is a former drug czar, but you'd think he could write a better piece than that.

ALSO. If your first point is 'HEY WE SCARED CHILDREN INTO NOT USING', perhaps you are short on facts and long on hyperbole.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 03, 2011, 03:34:17 PM »
Drugs again.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/02/florida.drug.tests.welfare/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

>_<

A controversial law requiring adults applying for welfare assistance to undergo drug screening has gone into effect in Florida.

What the fuck. We're going to increase the social stigma of  welfare by making people undergo drug tests before applying? That is insulting.

The aid recipients would be responsible for the cost of the screening, which they would recoup in their assistance if they qualify.

Doubly insulting. Hey if you qualify you get your money back for this demeaning drug test! Ignoring that the law is likely unconsitutional and will be overturned by the courts, I'm still not a fan of it. Anything that pushes people on the edge of society further out and more likely to go to prison should be something we try to avoid.
-------------------

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 03, 2011, 05:40:26 PM »
Yo dawg I heard you liked pressuring drug addicts into finding illegal sources of income, so we made a law that made it impossible for them to get a legal one at all so you can force them into finding illegal sources of income while you pressure them ino finding illegal sources of income.

Sounds like a good way to turn more people that are users into dealers (which has a tendency to reduce the quality of the product on the street thus making the habit even more dangerous) or just straight up get more addicts stealing.

This law is THE BEST.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 04, 2011, 03:03:21 PM »
On the one hand: neat, a step in the right direction.  I expect them to get 50% more work done.

On the other hand, my cynical side notes that 150% of zero is still zero.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 12, 2011, 02:56:53 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/12/world/middleeast/12israel.html?hp

Israel bans advocating boycotts, or participating in them, against the state or the settlements.  Didn't the Old South attempt to arrest boycott organizers during the civil rights movement?  Except at least in American law, you had to make up some other crime like disturbing the peace...  I can't even begin to see how you square such a law with free speech.  And how exactly do you ban participation?  If somebody invites you to do business in the settlements you MUST accept?!  How can that possibly be adjudicated?

Sigh.  Hope the Israeli Supreme Court overturns this one.

Idun

« Reply #549 on: July 12, 2011, 04:04:32 PM »
This reminds me of the alien and sedition acts - at least the purpose for a specific ends. Irony though: is Ilon Gilon's quoted response borderline seditious? What about Hagai El-Ad's rhetoric? If ideas of boycott are developing within the government, perhaps they should host more discussions concerning said reasons, rather than trying to "legally" protect their backs?

There's this delusion that banning speech and assembly is something that can be fully policed and impartial, though it's quite glaring the same cannot be said for Israel's Parliament. Israel's catching wind on boycotts, and I imagine enforcers will run around like chickens with their necks cut off.

I actually like comparison with the Old South, though they succeeded in illegally jailing non-criminal persons for the purpose of weakening the several movements' momentums. The indefinite amount of time in jail was meant to scare off more boycotts, but this is where the local governments realized that the "arrest-everyone" mentality didn't work once it caught national and international attention. I feel like Israel's *always* had international attention, so I wonder how the pressure they're used to will pan out?? 

Edit* So I don't double post:

If anyone is interested in the public school testing scandal in Atlanta, be not surprised. I would love to boil it down to being in the South and the linear relationship it has with quality education, but that's doing these overworked, underpaid and (a lot of the times) one-year contract teachers a significant injustice. So the Atlanta Public School System (oddly including an investigation outside the metro area) are implicated in cheating on the CRCT - basically a comprehension exam of basic subjects like math, english, science and history/geography.

I believe the test goes from 4-8 grade. Teachers are accused of editing scan-trons, administrations are accused of pressuring teachers for pass-able test scores and the School Board is the mastermind behind it. To me, the CRCT was *very* easy (but I came from New Jersey before taking the test twice). Georgia's public school education is a joke, and has been a joke. A few years back after I graduated high school, my county lost its accreditation for several mismanagement and testing issues. Since then, many AP schools have been scrutinized for poor grades, student results and retention rates (my graduating class should have been 700 roughly, only 363... graduated I think?). I had the same teacher in a new subject every year because schools were using fresh college grads as insurance tags and momentary replacements because of constant fluctuating budget costs. These teachers (whom I believe were much better than the established teachers) were forced to adhere to a testing-curriculum as opposed to a comprehension-curriculum: "teach us how to pass the test."

Keeping in mind the pertinence administration felt for pushing kids out of the system, strained financial support, little community involvement (financially, also), increasing crime, increasing teen pregnancy and somehow youth's increasing disrespect for their elders and you have a very bad situation. Case in point: I took several AP courses. Passing the course meant I did not have to take several sections of the graduation test - so the administration told us. Come several weeks before graduating, and the administration tells us we *must* take the test in order to graduate. But what if we fail? What if we're nervous? What if we aren't attending our graduation because we're out of town due to plans made? Then the secretary begins to tell us (in an accusatory way as if it's our fault, or not a problem) that it doesn't matter what we put on the test. We just have to take it and fill a quota. For some damned reason, I was the only one to lash out while everyone balked to their superiors: "Why are we being held responsible for your inability to counsel graduating seniors properly? Why don't YOU guys just fill the tests out and put our names on it?" She got real PO'd then. I just don't get it. Even with the funding that came in because of reported inflated test scores, that's still not enough to save the system here. It's so fucked up.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 05:06:38 PM by Idun »