Author Topic: Good Morning, 2010! The Princess' Diary Intarwebs Edition  (Read 112046 times)

Bobbin Cranbud

• Denizen
    • View Profile
    • The Writing of Joshua Cole
Re: Good Morning, 2010! The Princess' Diary Intarwebs Edition
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 02:28:00 AM »
New Year's Day was uneventful until this evening, when I drove to my customary gaming place - which I had confirmed last week would be open - for the last chance in a month I would have to play in a D&D campaign - in which we ended last session with my character about to try an extremely risky and important ritual.  Over the course of this week, multiple other players called me to confirm that, yes, the store would be open and we'd be playing, because, hey, I'm the one who was asking the clerk last week and the one who has everybody's phone numbers (the GM was among the people asking, BTW).

So anyway, I drive to the shop and - lights off.  No cars in parking lot.  No sign of anyone about.  Call up the clerk, the same clerk I explicitly asked last week, same clerk who fucking KNOWS I'm the organizer here (not that he informed the GM, either, mind), and oh, he's shocked, SHOCKED that I thought the shop would be open.  Yeah.

Not like I blew off a fucking party invitation or anything because this would be my last chance to see these guys in a month, right?  (Or longer, or maybe ever, since one is going in the army.)

So fuck you with a rusty spoon, "F"LGS, and I'll happily buy from fucking Amazon for 2/3 the price from now on.
Read my webnovel, Eye Opener, now available on RoyalRoad.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 12:51:49 PM »
Gaming shops are inevitably a crapshoot. They're mainly useful for organization and a place to game. Reliability, not so much.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 05:04:37 PM »
I almost killed myself on the bench today!

Was benching 185 a couple of times and was going for my 12 rep when I couldn't get it up! It slowly sunk onto my chest while I could do nothing to get it off. Oh, I didn't have a spotter either! It's a shame since it was only my third set, so I should have had no problem finishing it, weird.

Either way I never lift weights with those saftey clamps on each side so I muscled one side up and the weights fell loudly onto the cushioned floor.

Oh, and I'm also the fitness center guy. It would have been embarassing had someone seen me, but luckily (Or unluckily) no one was around to help/see me fail.

Good start to the year!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 07:49:53 PM »
I went bowling and I was jabbering and I dropped a bowling ball on my foot. That was really funny/hurt really bad. Next couple of days were pretty painful for walking at times. Haa.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 08:40:45 PM »
I couldn't get it up! It slowly sunk onto my chest while I could do nothing to get it off. Oh, I didn't have a spotter either! It's a shame since it was only my third set, so I should have had no problem finishing it, weird.

Taking things out of context and deleting a few words makes things so funny.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 08:53:19 PM »
I went bowling and I was jabbering and I dropped a bowling ball on my foot. That was really funny/hurt really bad. Next couple of days were pretty painful for walking at times. Haa.

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2010, 11:20:32 PM »
Blah blah New Year's Eve party at a friends, played video games and drank soda and ate pork. Cool night.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2010, 12:41:16 AM »
January Third and Japanese schools are back in session (after a whole -week- of off-time!). Despite working on Christmas and a lousy mandatory $120 work party that evening, the vacation was full of sex, fun and relaxation. (Are you happy, Andrew? I didn't use a final comma in what could be a list. There's absolutely no ambiguity there.) There was even some RPGmon on the slow days, so I'm happy.

As a side note, RPGmon has to be the culmination of all our work on this site. It really pulls together all the topics and interp questions into a coherent whole. It's also a social activity in addition to being an RPG-crossover game, so it really hits all the high points of the DL at once.

Playing RPGmon again for the first time since before DLCon4 really inspired me to care about stat topics again. Someone needs to fix up the LoL stat topic. Preferably someone who still owns the game. Also, we could totally start databasing this stuff in the profiles.

New Year's Resolution? Hmm... I'm just so perfect already, I can't think of anything to change. >.>;;

Perhaps I'll just resolve to stop hitting on DL members so often? ^_^;;
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 12:46:20 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2010, 01:18:44 AM »
I think you already failed that one...
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2010, 12:54:08 PM »
RPGMON IS AWESOME AND SHOULD DO IT MORE OFTEN!!!

When people stop picking Lights with revival.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Bardiche

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 01:55:44 PM »
I read a book on dating.

So far all I read is "It's all about exuding the 'I want to bang you but I don't want to do it immediately' aura."

>_>

New Year's Resolution? Hmm... I'm just so perfect already, I can't think of anything to change. >.>;;

Perhaps I'll just resolve to stop hitting on DL members so often? ^_^;;

You'd lose your defining trait then.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2010, 03:47:47 PM »

For starters, you could start growing some chest hair.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2010, 04:00:45 PM »
You and your weird Brazillian fetishes. Chest hair looks gross on someone light-skinned like me. Dark chest hair would be too much contrast to the skin tone. You are holding me to your crazy bronzed-skin Brazillian standards. Clearly you should re-evaluate. I am already perfect~  :-*

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2010, 04:33:56 PM »
So, you're telling me you're getting a tan, -then- growing chest hair. Okay.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2010, 05:49:13 PM »
Andrew and I are now planning a trip to England this fall. And by "Andrew and I are planning" I mean I am planning and Andrew will tag along.

Anyway, the fun part at this stage is deciding: when, after August, is the best time to go; how long to stay, given about one to one and a half weeks of paid leave; where to stay  so that we can see/do the stuff in London; and how much to anticipate spending once there.

Anyone who's done international travel and/or lives in the U.K. want to offer some pointers?

(Sadly, yes, this is the first time either of us has been out of the country except for quick jaunts to Mexico before they changed the passport law. In fact, part of the planning process is finally applying for a passport. I am sure I could point out a few more American stereotypes we satisfy, but I'll leave that in more capable hands.)
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2010, 08:16:23 PM »
Why on earth do places of employment giving me two four-day weekends in a row is going to foster anything but absolute apathy when I return to work for a full week? Then we start discussing the potential for mandatory overtime...

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2010, 08:56:42 PM »
Andrew and I are now planning a trip to England this fall. And by "Andrew and I are planning" I mean I am planning and Andrew will tag along.

Anyway, the fun part at this stage is deciding: when, after August, is the best time to go; how long to stay, given about one to one and a half weeks of paid leave; where to stay  so that we can see/do the stuff in London; and how much to anticipate spending once there.

Anyone who's done international travel and/or lives in the U.K. want to offer some pointers?

For seeing things in London, you'll probably want to stay in Victoria for at least part of the visit. It's pretty central, and the Underground station is on pretty much any line you might need, so makes it pretty easy to get around if you need to.
If nothing else, there are Premier Inns pretty much everywhere, so you can probably look them up easily enough and move to a new one every few nights to see everything you want.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2010, 11:41:37 PM »

Contrary to what Youtube may have told you, people don't randomly get into an elaborate dance routine very often.

They're called "chips", not "fries".

Harry Potter doesn't really exist and he won't be on your tour of Buckingham Palace, no matter how much that guy looks like him.

Seriously, though, I have a friend who went to school there for a year. I'll see if I can get some pointers from her.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2010, 05:05:57 AM »

Yay, I'll be useful~

I honestly wouldn't recommend being there much after early October.  It was nice for a week and then England revealed its true colors (do I have to spell that with a 'u'?) and became rainy and dark and cold.  The hostels and hotels are certainly far cheaper, then, but it also makes visiting some historical (re: tourist) sites a royal pain in the ass due to shortened hours, and some outright closed sites.

Did I mention it will be raining the entire time?

Sooooo I'd recommend going mid-to-late September.  Prices on touristy nonsense will be lower than they are in August but higher than they are later in the year.

A few other things:

Since you're only going to be there for a short time, plan as much as you can ahead of time.  Most major cities have a tourism website and you can look up the major attractions and see what you'd visit.  Winging it is way more fun but you need way more time to do it and get enough in to justify the trip.

Stay in a Hostel.  Hotels are stupidly expensive, and staying in a Hostel allows you to meet a lot of other people and meeting people is like 70% of the goddamn point of travelling, if you ask me.  If the whole "sleeping with 6 to 14 other people in a dormitory" thing sounds too sketchy, you can spend a little more to have to room with less people while still having access to hostel common rooms (and occasionally bars) and spend way less than you would at a hotel. 

You'll only be going for a week and a half(?) so this might not be an issue, but if you're looking for a cheap meal, go to a Sainsbury's, Morrison's, Tesco's, or whatever other groceries there are to get food for one or two meals.  You're almost always assured to spend less money than you would have otherwise.  All I can remember is that cheese is stupidly expensive and alcohol is stupidly not.

You might look into getting a railcard.  I'm 90% sure it won't be worth it (or possible) but my memory's fuzzy.  They're nice and get you a discount on the railways.  Buuuuut I'm pretty sure they're only for students and UK citizens so I dunno. 

Manchester may not be your guys' thing, but it may be.  Incredible music scene and good pubs, but  horrible architecture, mediocre museums (though the People's History Museum was being renovated at the time, if that matters?), and I really don't recall much except that there were several bars featuring live music and every night I was there was a fucking blast.  But if concert/bar hopping isn't your thing...

Uh.  Don't bother going to Cardiff unless you're dead set on seeing Wales.  Norwich is a nice city to live in but I'd hate to visit it.  Newcastle was OK but unremarkable.  I hear Edinburgh's a lot of fun, as is Scotland in general, but I never made it.  Stonehenge is nice but Salisbury is a shithole.  London, of course, is the best city of the lot but you assumed that anyway, didn't you?

Now, that being said, there's absolutely no reason to restrict yourself to England if there's not enough you want to see to keep you there the whole time (especially if you're planning on flying damn near ANYWHERE.  This early in advance, budget airline tickets out of England to elsewhere are bound to be cheap.  If it's a language barrier thing, I'd highly recommend Dublin, and I hear Belfast is an interesting city as well.  (And would strongly discourage going to Scotland.  Northern dialects are barely English).  I won't bother writing about stuff in other countries, but there's absolutely no reason to remove the option from the table.

If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2010, 09:03:53 AM »
I am only good for generic travel and customs advice, but yeah I will try and chime in before you guys go off if you want.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2010, 03:44:42 PM »
Scotland is absolutely amazing, at least the parts I saw. Everything looked like something out of a picture book.  I am tempted to get a second job and spend the entire summer wandering the country.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Bardiche

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2010, 06:01:02 PM »
You might look into getting a railcard.  I'm 90% sure it won't be worth it (or possible) but my memory's fuzzy.  They're nice and get you a discount on the railways.  Buuuuut I'm pretty sure they're only for students and UK citizens so I dunno.

You can get 5-day travel cards that give you unlimited free travelling within London with public transit (bus, tube, railway), as I recall, and you needn't be a student nor British f'rit. I ordered it from a website, but hell if I still know what website that was-- might be worth looking into if you care to make abundant use of public transit.

Day cards are available at the trainstation for I think 10 pounds otherwise and they are certainly a valid alternative if you won't travel every day or just don't plan on traveling too much.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2010, 06:33:11 PM »
You might look into getting a railcard.  I'm 90% sure it won't be worth it (or possible) but my memory's fuzzy. They're nice and get you a discount on the railways.  Buuuuut I'm pretty sure they're only for students and UK citizens so I dunno.

Day cards are available at the trainstation for I think 10 pounds otherwise and they are certainly a valid alternative if you won't travel every day or just don't plan on traveling too much.

£6 is for the Tube day card for anywhere that matters (near enough all of London falls into Zones 1-4, and that's the one that's £6.)
You... might be able to get an Oyster card, which is £10 and cuts 2/3 off all train prices. Not sure if that's UK citizens only, but that info should be easy enough to find.

Did I mention it will be raining the entire time?

Sooooo I'd recommend going mid-to-late September.  Prices on touristy nonsense will be lower than they are in August but higher than they are later in the year.
Welcome to England. Weather: Rain. Seriously, we had two weeks of sunshine last year. In October. >_>

Also, I'm toadilly thinking you should visit in mid-to-late September, if only because I can then drag you guys to Torquay for my birthday or something. >.>

Bardiche

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2010, 06:47:20 PM »
I think Oysters are students/UK-ians only. Travel card fees, but only from 7 day and onward... I'm sure I had a 3-day card, though. I've got to ask my classmates. Oyster info here, which says:

Oyster photocards enable students and under-18s to travel free or at reduced rates. Discounted travel is also available to customers who hold a New Deal photocard or a Bus & Tram Discount photocard.

I recall they weren't an option for us.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2010, 06:53:23 PM »
* Yoshiken checks that page, clicks two more links.

http://visitorshop.tfl.gov.uk/english.htm <-- Oyster cards for people visiting from abroad. If you're planning on tourning London, this is without a doubt your best bet.