Register

Author Topic: Good Morning, 2010! The Princess' Diary Intarwebs Edition  (Read 114774 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Good Morning, 2010! The Princess' Diary Intarwebs Edition
« Reply #775 on: April 20, 2010, 11:50:38 PM »
I have nothing to add to that story, other than your entries are fun to read.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 21, 2010, 03:32:00 AM »
Baklava + souvlaki = Mmm. There's a nice Greek restaurant right by our apartment, and it is yummy~
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 21, 2010, 08:41:24 PM »
Mmmmm northeastern food lunch in the city anniversary holiday with my family. Then we went and had huge fancy ice cream cups. Pistachio's still completely badass~
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Idun

« Reply #778 on: April 22, 2010, 05:00:08 AM »
I have nothing to add to that story, other than your entries are fun to read.

Well, I would have rather seen the event from afar I suppose. I was pretty aggressive crossing the street (I had a walk sign every time, but still). There's some times where I just want to knock on people's windows because they fail to realize someone is indeed, crossing, AND they continue to go. Asshats exist, yes? One chick was so close, I should have snotted on her.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 22, 2010, 06:12:42 PM »
Andrew and I adopted a puppy on Tuesday. We named him Talisman (Tal/Tally). The following is my dog story -- a long, wordy rant about dog adoption, addressing why we re-homed Fox and got this puppy a few months later; feel free to skip (it will be in tiny text) if you don't care. I just needed to write it out because I have had to justify myself to several people, and it's frustrating.

I have been struggling with the idea of having a cat or dog again since last summer. I am not as fond of cats as dogs, so I looked into getting a dog. We adopted Fox, the golden retriever I posted previously about, in July from a woman out by Stockton who had to find a new home for the young dog because she had two kids and an older, sick golden retriever. Fox needed way more attention than she thought he was getting there, so he came home with us.

It was fine. I woke up early to take him out in the mornings, I came straight home from work to take him out for a long walk in the evenings, and we adjusted our schedules. When we initially adopted him, I figured it would be fine for him to come to work with me. My company has a very dog-friendly office, and there are at least 2-3 other dogs in the office on any given day. However, Fox himself was not okay with coming to work. He did not understand that the other dogs did not want to play with him, that I was sitting at my computer to work, not to pet him, and that sometimes he needed to occupy himself. When he had to stay home, he had to be confined to the kitchen and bathroom so he wouldn't chew apart (more) electronics and books. He chewed holes in the walls.

Toward the end of last year, I was starting to feel a little desperate. The sweet, affectionate, relatively calm golden retriever we'd picked up was actually an extremely clingy, very neurotic dog with a very high prey drive. He lunged at other dogs and small children. The sight or sound of a bird would drive him crazy. He was quiet, and very well house-trained, but he needed to be in someone's lap at ALL TIMES, whether it was otherwise occupied or not, and hearing another dog barking would drive him crazy. With a very heavy heart, I realized that Fox was the kind of dog who absolutely needed a yard, and other kids, and another dog to grow up with. We brought him to the attention of the local breed rescue and, in January, we rehomed him. He now lives with a vet tech, her two (older) kids and their other two puppies, in a home with a yard.

That was very hard for me, to say the least. I've grown up with dogs, and despite his personality quirks Fox was a really amazing young retriever. His size was never a problem except when it came to correcting his dangerous behavior (like lunging at kids and other animals). Had we lived somewhere with a yard or had another dog, he would have been a fantastic fit. But... it didn't happen that way. I'd far rather he did well and grew up in a place where his personality would fit well than maintain my dignity and hold on to him just because I said I would.

So, the new puppy. How could I possibly justify getting another dog after that? Well, two things: 1) Fox's prey drive was huge; 2) Fox was only about 1-1.5 years old, but he'd already learned some difficult bad habits. Age was a surprisingly large factor. Talisman is very much a puppy, perhaps 3 months old, and gets a chance to start out learning what it's like to live in close quarters around a lot of other dogs and noises. We've registered him in puppy classes, and he will absolutely be attending obedience and probably rally or agility training as well. We'll see how his personality shapes up, but I'd like to train him to go volunteer at hospitals and old folks' homes as a therapy dog when he gets older.

I really think this is a matter of energy and dog personality, not a matter of the living situation. Fox simply was a country dog. He needed space and he needed it now. This puppy... well... it may turn out that he needs space, too, but he doesn't need it now and the substitutes we can provide should be good enough in the mean time. Starting his training early, getting him used to other dogs without being crazy about them, and the same with people and other animals, will probably make a huge difference there as well. I feel okay with this decision.

--

I am indeed frustrated about feeling like I have to justify this to anyone in the first place, and yet there are questions. "You rehomed Fox. Why did you get another dog?" Because. It's not the same. I did not dump Fox at the pound and pick up the first cute puppy I saw. I did not neglect Fox. I very pointedly made sure he got a home with someone who knew what they were getting in to even better than I did -- he didn't go to just any rescue, he went to a Golden Retriever rescue, and he didn't go to just any home, he went to a home with a person who attends to dogs and cats as part of their job. With Fox, it wasn't a matter of not wanting to do the work or not giving him a chance. It was just a very deep, very true feeling that the kind of dog he was (both because of his natural behavior and because of his upbringing) did not fit with the lifestyle Andrew and I maintain or intend to pursue.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 06:14:35 PM by Lady Door »
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: April 22, 2010, 06:25:25 PM »
You're absolutely right about getting a new dog, no shame in that. I couldn't bear to let go of a pet myself, but I think you did it for the right reasons.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 22, 2010, 06:34:57 PM »
Thanks, Dune.

It was not easy. I agonized over it for about a month or so before I went forward. Then it took another 2+ weeks to get in contact with the rescue and bring him over for an evaluation, etc. He's the first cat or dog I've had to give up before he died.

Believe me when I say it was not a decision made lightly.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 22, 2010, 07:05:49 PM »
You made the right call. I'm not at all surprised considering what I heard about that puppy when you first got it, it needed far more space and attention than what you were able to give.  What type of dog is the new one?

I just needed to write it out because I have had to justify myself to several people, and it's frustrating.

This is where 'fuck off, assholes- I know what I'm doing' comes into play. You live in an apartment in a large city, not every dog available is going to fit that.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 22, 2010, 07:14:51 PM »
You made the right call. I'm not at all surprised considering what I heard about that puppy when you first got it, it needed far more space and attention than what you were able to give.  What type of dog is the new one?

I just needed to write it out because I have had to justify myself to several people, and it's frustrating.

This is where 'fuck off, assholes- I know what I'm doing' comes into play. You live in an apartment in a large city, not every dog available is going to fit that.

Well, when they're coworkers and/or boss, my ability to actually do so is fairly limited. <_< I wish, though!

He's a definite mutt. Based on his looks, he has some German Shepherd in him, but his littermates looked more like cattle dogs and some weird tiny lab things. Based on his current size and age, he's probably going to max out at 50-60 pounds, whatever his heritage, which is a good 20+ pounds less than Fox and about the same size as my mom's border collie.

He's surprisingly calm and attentive for a puppy. He of course has his moments of play hard, crash hard, but there's no aggression, no frenetic energy -- just the sense that he's going to be a dog who needs a job (like, say, agility or obedience or therapy work).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:16:23 PM by Lady Door »

Idun

« Reply #784 on: April 23, 2010, 12:24:36 AM »
If I was a co-worker and asked why you got a new dog, I think my question would stem less from having a level of judgmental nature to it. It'd be like, why do you need a dog? Because you want one is definitely a fine answer, but as far as availability and time is concerned, getting a puppy doesn't do much more than make it easier to train depending on the dedication you put toward it. I actually know a few people who have relatively large dogs in their apt, but they've been conditioned to smaller living spaces. I wish you the best of luck anyway.

I don't prefer cats or dogs over each other. But as far as maintenance is concerned, my cat is definitely fitting my inconsistent daily routine perfectly fine, especially with the natural diet I put him on that decreases the excessive appetite many other brands give cats. I do want a maltese sometime in the future, and I don't care if it's pure bred, half bred, etc. A 30lb bag of natural dog food would last a maltese at LEAST 2 months.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 23, 2010, 02:57:35 AM »
The coyotes of Atlanta will eat the maltese~
...into the nightfall.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #786 on: April 23, 2010, 04:43:29 AM »
I have been struggling with the idea of having a cat or dog again since last summer. I am not as fond of cats as dogs, so I looked into getting a dog. We adopted Fox, the golden retriever I posted previously about, in July from a woman out by Stockton who had to find a new home for the young dog because she had two kids and an older, sick golden retriever. Fox needed way more attention than she thought he was getting there, so he came home with us.

It was fine. I woke up early to take him out in the mornings, I came straight home from work to take him out for a long walk in the evenings, and we adjusted our schedules. When we initially adopted him, I figured it would be fine for him to come to work with me. My company has a very dog-friendly office, and there are at least 2-3 other dogs in the office on any given day. However, Fox himself was not okay with coming to work. He did not understand that the other dogs did not want to play with him, that I was sitting at my computer to work, not to pet him, and that sometimes he needed to occupy himself. When he had to stay home, he had to be confined to the kitchen and bathroom so he wouldn't chew apart (more) electronics and books. He chewed holes in the walls.

Toward the end of last year, I was starting to feel a little desperate. The sweet, affectionate, relatively calm golden retriever we'd picked up was actually an extremely clingy, very neurotic dog with a very high prey drive. He lunged at other dogs and small children. The sight or sound of a bird would drive him crazy. He was quiet, and very well house-trained, but he needed to be in someone's lap at ALL TIMES, whether it was otherwise occupied or not, and hearing another dog barking would drive him crazy. With a very heavy heart, I realized that Fox was the kind of dog who absolutely needed a yard, and other kids, and another dog to grow up with. We brought him to the attention of the local breed rescue and, in January, we rehomed him. He now lives with a vet tech, her two (older) kids and their other two puppies, in a home with a yard.

That was very hard for me, to say the least. I've grown up with dogs, and despite his personality quirks Fox was a really amazing young retriever. His size was never a problem except when it came to correcting his dangerous behavior (like lunging at kids and other animals). Had we lived somewhere with a yard or had another dog, he would have been a fantastic fit. But... it didn't happen that way. I'd far rather he did well and grew up in a place where his personality would fit well than maintain my dignity and hold on to him just because I said I would.

So, the new puppy. How could I possibly justify getting another dog after that? Well, two things: 1) Fox's prey drive was huge; 2) Fox was only about 1-1.5 years old, but he'd already learned some difficult bad habits. Age was a surprisingly large factor. Talisman is very much a puppy, perhaps 3 months old, and gets a chance to start out learning what it's like to live in close quarters around a lot of other dogs and noises. We've registered him in puppy classes, and he will absolutely be attending obedience and probably rally or agility training as well. We'll see how his personality shapes up, but I'd like to train him to go volunteer at hospitals and old folks' homes as a therapy dog when he gets older.

I really think this is a matter of energy and dog personality, not a matter of the living situation. Fox simply was a country dog. He needed space and he needed it now. This puppy... well... it may turn out that he needs space, too, but he doesn't need it now and the substitutes we can provide should be good enough in the mean time. Starting his training early, getting him used to other dogs without being crazy about them, and the same with people and other animals, will probably make a huge difference there as well. I feel okay with this decision.

--

I am indeed frustrated about feeling like I have to justify this to anyone in the first place, and yet there are questions. "You rehomed Fox. Why did you get another dog?" Because. It's not the same. I did not dump Fox at the pound and pick up the first cute puppy I saw. I did not neglect Fox. I very pointedly made sure he got a home with someone who knew what they were getting in to even better than I did -- he didn't go to just any rescue, he went to a Golden Retriever rescue, and he didn't go to just any home, he went to a home with a person who attends to dogs and cats as part of their job. With Fox, it wasn't a matter of not wanting to do the work or not giving him a chance. It was just a very deep, very true feeling that the kind of dog he was (both because of his natural behavior and because of his upbringing) did not fit with the lifestyle Andrew and I maintain or intend to pursue.

Just going to say this straight, so don't be offended.

Yes, you -do- have to justify this.

I worked in a dog shelter during college, and frankly, the basic situation sucks for most dogs when owners don't make the right fit. Someone adopts a puppy, it doesn't suit their living situation, the dog is now too big to ever really find the right home.

And this is generally the -best- case scenario for these dogs. Often times, the owners have fucked up the dogs' behaviors, habits, and expectations, too. Or worse, abused them.

So, no, I don't think you made the wrong choice.

However, you really shouldn't be complaining about having to explain it because you -are- the exception; and anyone who knows anything about dog adoption just isn't going to assume that.

Congrats on the new puppy, I hope this one works out better for you.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 23, 2010, 05:08:26 AM »
A picture:

I am frustrated, generally, with people. I think I'll just leave it at that.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 23, 2010, 05:27:12 AM »
Djinn is right (for once >_>), but you are too.  I'll leave it at that.  Suffice it to say,

doggiedoggiedoggiedoggie

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 23, 2010, 05:29:23 AM »
That dog looks a little bit emo.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #790 on: April 23, 2010, 05:49:29 AM »
Djinn is right (for once >_>), but you are too.  I'll leave it at that.  Suffice it to say,

doggiedoggiedoggiedoggie

Now Zenny, remember what everyone told us about flirting on the forums...

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 23, 2010, 06:02:39 AM »
Look, all I'm sayin' is you, me, the bathroom, 5 minutes from now, let's go.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 23, 2010, 08:32:55 AM »

doggiedoggiedoggiedoggie

That you should flirt as much as possible thanks to the hilarious potential maximum backfiring?
...into the nightfall.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 23, 2010, 02:07:48 PM »
Which brings up another pick up line that Djinn should totally use to pick up emoshota in Japan.  "I knew a guy who had the same problem you do until he met me, that cleared him right up.  You just need a bit more of me in you." 

The battle against the universe surrounding my computer continues.  Got my mother board back yesterday, but who wants to build a computer Thursday night when you have work the next day?  So Friday afternoon after a shit day of work I know that I am not up to fighting my PC, so I shuffle around our lounge room setup and move the X-Box to where the Wii is beside the TV, put the Wii on top of the X-Box and connect up the Onkyo CD player I bought months ago.  If I am going to fight my PC I am going to need tunes.  The RCA cable is a bit short so I slide the receiver and the player to the edges of their shelves and the cable just reaches, but it works.  Agents are GO!  So throw in a few CDs and random it up to chill for the night of building my computer.

Take the new case out of the box, pop out the backing plate.  I don't have the backing plate for all my connectors.  So no PC today when I really needed it in the middle of the day after shitty shit day at work and I badly needed to garotte something or play an FPS at least.  Such is life.  Backing plate is at my parents' which is the last place work was done on my PC putting in the temporary board.  Dad can't find the right plate, but he is probaby 3/4 of the way through his Friday night bottle of wine and I am not in the frame of mind to communicate properly, I think he has the right plate and I just suck at letting him know how I am looking at it with how he is comparing it (he compared it to the board on the Asus site which I have just checked, I was talking as if I had the board installed and I think he was talking as if it was being installed on its side). So oh well.  I strip my old case of parts I am moving other than the CPU and fan.  Put in the mounts for the Mobo at least, put in the drives (Full tower, so don't really need the space they take up, but don't do any cabling and I will put in the PSU later).  Pop out the express card bays that I will need.

Might buy a new hard drive as well I guess, going to get the PC up and running first obviously.  Then boot it up in XP with my Windows 7 drive connected to see if I can salvage any data on it first.

So 11 at night and I can finally do something relaxing.  No FPS going to happen, so more comics it is I guess.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 25, 2010, 01:52:33 AM »
So, normally my computer runs at ~2% full CPU usage, and recently something's made it start running at 100% CPU usage.  Restarting, forcibly cooling it down with a large fan, closing tons of processes... nothing's made it start working back at normal capacity.  While this doesn't affect web browsing at all, it makes it all but impossible to play games on it.  This is unacceptable.

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this problem?  I'm running a virus scan now, but I don't know if that will actually help anything.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: April 25, 2010, 04:04:23 AM »

doggiedoggiedoggiedoggie

It's just bad when it's Bard hitting on Niu because he thinks Niu's a girl. Past that, go crazy, it's our blackmail material anyway.

(Not that we couldn't use Bard material for blackmail anyway, but kicking a dead dog is pointless.)
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 25, 2010, 05:16:23 PM »
None of us got breakfast before we left home, so we stopped at Taco Bell on the way home. I get home, crack a soda and start eating. I take a few bites and go to take a sip of soda. At the same moment as I sip and swallow, I half sneeze, half cough. The entire mix goes straight up my nose. It burns like fucking HELL. Spicy nacho cheese sauce and taco and oooooow. It's like blowing my nose is dispensing liquid Taco Bell and pain.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 25, 2010, 05:19:52 PM »
liquid Taco Bell and pain.

No need to be redundant there.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #798 on: April 26, 2010, 01:17:59 AM »
Golden Week is coming up.

I can never think of that as a real thing, it just feels like something that was made up for anime.

Idun

« Reply #799 on: April 26, 2010, 03:38:17 AM »
Falalalalal lalalalala llalala...

I AM DONE

WITH MAH PAPER.

I shall edit it tomorrow.

But.

My plate.

Is officially.

Clean of school.

Sure, I have an exam Thursday in Art and Arch of Ancient Egypt II, but that's absolutely nothing to worry about. Yay (: