Author Topic: Good Morning, 2010! The Princess' Diary Intarwebs Edition  (Read 114648 times)

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
Re: Good Morning, 2010! The Princess' Diary Intarwebs Edition
« Reply #1125 on: July 06, 2010, 12:23:38 AM »
Taking antidepressants and getting the manic reaction is certainly a faster way to the bipolar diagnosis train, but it's likely you don't want it to go that way. Do try adjusting your eating and exercise if you know they're far off what they should be. If you eat reasonably well, though, and are active enough, consider pestering them. Or find things in your history that might be more manic than you think. Psychiatry is quirky in that, except for extreme cases, their diagnosis is based entirely on what you tell them. Sometimes you need to know more about what you're describing than you could ever reasonably be expected to pay attention to.

Eat better, exercise, get some sun, work on redirecting your thoughts regularly (deliberately interrupt a down train of thought, break it down, figure out why it's there, challenge it, reverse it, etc -- it's loopy the first few weeks, but it gets to feeling more natural, and being more effective, the longer you do it), and check back in with the docs if nothing is changing. Medicine should be a last resort, but it shouldn't take until you feel it's your only option other than suicide before you get it. If you suspect bipolar, keep a mood journal. Bipolars react to some really wacky foods, so it would be helpful to keep track of what you eat, too.

Pay attention to the weather. There could be a touch of Seasonal Affective Disorder in there, too, in which case my suggestion amounts to "move away from a place where it's dark and dreary 90% of the year."
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: July 06, 2010, 06:33:33 AM »
Slight derail from depression talk!

Coffee is a hard habit to kick once you get used to it. I only drink it when I'm on vacation since I've always dug the taste of coffee (Granddad used to give use coffee ice cream when we were really young) and don't want to get hooked. When I was over in Scotland, I had a cup of coffee every morning when I woke up and some of the biscuits/cookies with it. It was a pleasant way to start the day, and gave me something leisurely to do while we planned out the day. I really miss all of it, but I can do something about the cookies. I did find some Walker's shortbread cookies at food lion, but they were also 4.50 for nine cookies. Fuck that.  I'll head to the Brit store near my house and see if they sell that. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Having a half of cup of coffee with some awesome shortbread cookies is why I'm rambling incoherently at 1:30am.

Also, summer has been really hot this year. I don't mind it, since I'm not working in a literal sweatbox any more.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: July 06, 2010, 07:22:15 AM »
Yoshi:  Ignore the good advice, take advice from an alcoholic.  Just start drinking.  It helps.  Really.

I'm going to stumble to bed drunk now.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1128 on: July 06, 2010, 08:57:50 AM »
I'm like the Iron Man of drinking or something. It's getting impractical to get drunk.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 06, 2010, 12:41:07 PM »
You don't need the of drinking in that statement.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 06, 2010, 01:17:21 PM »
Slight derail from depression talk!

Coffee is a hard habit to kick once you get used to it. I only drink it when I'm on vacation since I've always dug the taste of coffee (Granddad used to give use coffee ice cream when we were really young) and don't want to get hooked. When I was over in Scotland, I had a cup of coffee every morning when I woke up and some of the biscuits/cookies with it. It was a pleasant way to start the day, and gave me something leisurely to do while we planned out the day. I really miss all of it, but I can do something about the cookies. I did find some Walker's shortbread cookies at food lion, but they were also 4.50 for nine cookies. Fuck that.  I'll head to the Brit store near my house and see if they sell that. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Having a half of cup of coffee with some awesome shortbread cookies is why I'm rambling incoherently at 1:30am.

Also, summer has been really hot this year. I don't mind it, since I'm not working in a literal sweatbox any more.

Funny thing. I had a pot and a half day habit of coffee-just to get going for heavier work-for a while.

I could stop it without much more than just not feeling like doing anything. Which, was why I drank the coffee to start with. I mean it was unpleasant, but with my current half-pot habit I just kinda shrug. Hell, the way I drink coffee not having any is more likely to make me hungry than anything(lots of milk).

Does it make me a bad person to occasionally not mention the coffee stocks that the rest of my family has an over a pot a day habit(barring mom) have ran out, just so I can laugh when the two other coffee drinkers act like they have died and this is hell? (Okay that's only because they only buy any if it's ran out, in one case, or never in the other.)
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 08, 2010, 12:27:53 AM »
So I've been going to the workout center at the school for the past about three weeks. Making an overarching goal of losing 30 pounds by the end of the year by trying to eat healthier, drinking less sweet drinks, and exercising. In my several trips to the gym that I've made (I've decided to go every other day for a while until I decide I want to go every day) I have seen approximately one person who is overweight besides myself. It makes you wonder. I've made one extra little caveat in the trying to lose weight thing; I've decided that if I want to go out and eat, I would like to walk at least one way to get there. That way I will have to think about how much I really want to eat out. I've done this before and it works sometimes!

I'm hoping it will be successful. I lost about 30 pounds a while back in about six months. Only concern is that the pace will be slower due to being 25 pounds lighter than when I started the first time, but I am more capable of exercise and more able to make good decisions for food, since I have a kitchen now. My grandma has already been dishing out terrible diet advice; she thins you need to starve yourself or never touch anything that isn't super-healthy to diet. Great motivator, there.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:29:33 AM by Ciato »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 08, 2010, 03:45:24 AM »
Today has had a number of weird things go wrong or off. This culminated in receiving one of our apartment complex's exceedingly vague but very threatening "pay us in 3 days or leave" letter saying we owed them money.

1) WTF? Why is it so hard to give us a "Hey, what's up?" letter before threatening legal action?
2) WTF? I paid you guys rent.
3) WTF? This amount makes no sense whatsoever and I can't figure out where you got the number.

But of course, I can receive extra details at the leasing office! And by extra, I mean just plain details. The letter is nothing but three pages informing me I owe them $X, and it must be paid, or according to these city laws they can kick me out, etc. Lovely. Just plain lovely.

... oh. But they stealthily dropped it off (note: literally stuck it in the door frame and did not knock, which I know because my brother was sitting 5 feet from the door the entire time I was gone) after office hours.

Grr.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 08, 2010, 03:58:24 AM »
Are you or Andy going to have to take time off work to deal with that?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 08, 2010, 04:10:08 AM »
No, thankfully. Andy works night shift tomorrow, so he'll be home and awake in the afternoon to go figure out what the heck is up.

What a waste of time. Ugh.

Worst thing is, I'm sure they've found something legitimate to charge us for. Some stupid thing buried in the lease that they suddenly decided to start holding us on. Problem is, I have no idea -what-. Not even the semi-legitimate reason makes sense: We haven't turned in our lease (note: same lease, just re-signed), it's true, but we DID turn in the intent to renew for 6 months. Even if they did swap us to month-to-month and charge us the fee for it, the amount doesn't match up.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 08, 2010, 06:45:01 AM »
hey, I don't know about CA law, but there may well be things you can do to protect yourself legally, but you'll want to act fast because something may need to be done before the 3 days are up.  look for a landlord/tenant rights website as soon as you can if you haven't already.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Idun

« Reply #1136 on: July 08, 2010, 05:18:29 PM »
It makes you wonder. I've made one extra little caveat in the trying to lose weight thing; I've decided that if I want to go out and eat, I would like to walk at least one way to get there. That way I will have to think about how much I really want to eat out. I've done this before and it works sometimes!

I like this idea.

Not to be an asswad or anything, but while I lived on campus, I noticed larger people went to the gym at night, probably because everyone else was out and drinking. Funny thing is, I was there with them too. (: Anxiety issue, perhaps? I have no problem running outside, etc. but when it comes to using equipment in front of people, I'm generally paranoid.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 08, 2010, 05:24:21 PM »
It makes you wonder. I've made one extra little caveat in the trying to lose weight thing; I've decided that if I want to go out and eat, I would like to walk at least one way to get there. That way I will have to think about how much I really want to eat out. I've done this before and it works sometimes!

I like this idea.

Not to be an asswad or anything, but while I lived on campus, I noticed larger people went to the gym at night, probably because everyone else was out and drinking. Funny thing is, I was there with them too. (: Anxiety issue, perhaps? I have no problem running outside, etc. but when it comes to using equipment in front of people, I'm generally paranoid.

Fair enough, certainly. I'm only on campus in the daytime or else I'd probably be doing it too.

Uuuugh. I would especially love to blast this stomach fat off the face of the earth, but it's tough. ;_; It seems like it never wants to go away.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Idun

« Reply #1138 on: July 08, 2010, 11:35:50 PM »
Shopped, but I didn't til I dropped.

Someone needs to help me with that!

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 09, 2010, 01:52:09 AM »
Apartment complex is staffed by idiots. Charge is indeed the month-to-month fee -- with the pet rent we paid deducted from what it would otherwise be because they ALSO don't have it down that we have a dog. This is doubly hilarious because of the amount of stress and arguing that went into getting the dog in the first place.

NOT THAT FREAKING HARD and they certainly did it fine (without adjusting our lease) when we got Fox.

Gotta go straighten that out tomorrow, though, because the people who knew how to fix it weren't there today. Of course.

--

In other news! The BART shooting from New Year's has had a verdict announced. It has made people very uneasy. City Hall closed, PG&E sent its city employees home, traffic was packed, Oakland itself is freaking EMPTY -- except for the gathering at the city center, the solid line of police in riot gear, and the news & police helicopters and planes. Fun times here today.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: July 10, 2010, 09:06:31 PM »
I get home, check my snail mail, and apparently I owe a company called Tri Core Reference Laboratories 45 bucks?

I've never heard of this company before and I'm pretty sure somebody's fucking me around.  Either it's the collection agency, the company, or some jackoff who is using my identity.  Either way, I AM NOT PLEASED.

And I find this out on SATURDAY.  When I can't do ANYTHING about it.  Gr.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: July 11, 2010, 01:29:27 AM »
On that note, went to do my Tax return on Friday afternoon.  Get home from work "Does not recognise your date of birth" Ring support guys "Yeah they have your DOB wrong in the records even though it was right last year, you will have to ring these guys on Monday to get it fixed"

Thanks ATO for having good database sanitization and performing basic data validation.

Edit - Of course the place to ring is only open 8am - 6 pm during week days even the week or two after the financial year rolls over.  You know when I leave for work?  8 am and you know when I get home?  5 pm.  So I can ring them at work where I can't test that they have fixed it and probably won't have all my forms or try to ring that at peak hour when everyone is trying to get through just before they knock off!  Nice call centre setup guys.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:31:17 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1142 on: July 12, 2010, 01:38:55 AM »
Correcting some speech contest stuff for some of my students. I thought this one was cute, so I'm posting it here. Already corrected, but if you notice any strange English, be sure to tell me... I've been in Japan a long time and a lot of 'weird English' sounds commonplace sometimes.

What's Most Important to Me

<JapaneseVillage> junior high school

2nd grade <Toshi McTaroMan>

“Otagaisama.” ←( It’s the same for me.  / So am I. )  This is
the phrase my family uses the most. What is family for you?  Family is
more important than my life to me.  I'm lucky that my family is the
kind I can share a lot of things with.  My family often laughs during
daily conversation.  When my family talks, my brother bursts out
laughing at a joke. And it’s funny when my grandmother says things
like “this” or “that.”  My family always laughs a lot like this and we
cannot stop laughing.  If my family doesn’t laugh, I will feel like
I’m in a deep dark swamp.  My family’s laughter cheers me up.  If I
lost my family, I don’t know what I would do!  Because my family is
very important to me like that.  I think family are the most
trustworthy people and it's easiest to relax with your family.

But, we are not always perfect.  For example, I often have a
quarrel with my mother about my homework.  “Kengo, have you finished
your homework yet?”  “No, not yet.”  “Stop watching TV.  Do it now.”
“I know!  You are noisy!”  “Do it quickly!” “I’ll do it after watching
TV.”  “No.  You must do it now!  Studying is a child's job.”  “...OK.”
 In the end, I always lose to my mother.  Then I start to do my
homework.  I know I was wrong.  But, I didn’t want to do my homework.

After a while my mother complained about my homework.  So I got
very angry.  But my mother also advised me on how to finish my
homework quickly.  So I got happy at the same time.  It is difficult
to say how much happy I was.   I could understand my mother’s love.  I
realized she worried about me that much.  So I calmed down. Then I
took her advice and finished my homework very quickly.  I don’t think
we can have quarrels like this if we aren't close.  I think we love
and worry about each other, so we can have quarrels sometimes.  I
think that is very important.

When a homework deadline is coming the next day, I often panic
and I get very nervous.  No one else helps me except my mother for
that!  My mother comes and gives me a hug.  Sometimes, I even cry.
Because my mother is great like God.  But sometimes, my mother panics
too.  I say, “Are you OK?”  My mother says, “I’m OK.  Sorry.  I always
worry you.”  I say, “Otagaisama.” ←(It’s the same for me.  / So am
I.)  I'm thankful for my family.

Family is important to me.  I need my family.  And I was happy
to learn again that they really needed me, too!  I will take care of
my family all my life.  I can’t exchange my family for something else,
but I wouldn't have it any other way!

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: July 12, 2010, 07:01:21 AM »
    After a while my mother complained about my homework.  So I got
very angry.  But my mother also advised me on how to finish my
homework quickly.  So I got happy at the same time.  It is difficult
to say how much happy I was.
  I could understand my mother’s love.  I
realized she worried about me that much.  So I calmed down. Then I
took her advice and finished my homework very quickly.  I don’t think
we can have quarrels like this if we aren't close.  I think we love
and worry about each other, so we can have quarrels sometimes.  I
think that is very important.

When a homework deadline is coming the next day, I often panic
and I get very nervous.  No one else helps me except my mother for
that!
 My mother comes and gives me a hug.  Sometimes, I even cry.
Because my mother is great like God.  But sometimes, my mother panics
too.  I say, “Are you OK?”  My mother says, “I’m OK.  Sorry.  I always
worry you.”  I say, “Otagaisama.” ←(It’s the same for me.  / So am
I.)  I'm thankful for my family.

Bolded stuff that really jumped out at me; aside from that, it feels kinda choppy but is otherwise good and, like you said, quite cute. (First one shouldn't have "much" in there, and the second one is just extremely awkward phrasing. Might work better if it went something along the lines of, "No one else helps me with that except for my mother!" Just some suggestions)
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: July 12, 2010, 08:19:30 AM »
My mother comes and gives me a hug.  Sometimes, I even cry. Because my mother is great like God. But sometimes, my mother panics too.  I say, “Are you OK?”  My mother says, “I’m OK.  Sorry.  I always worry you.

That's the goddamn cutest thing I've ever read.

ugh emotions

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 08:24:56 AM by Makkotah »

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: July 12, 2010, 07:34:28 PM »
That's very cute, Djinn! Well-written for a second-grader, too.

--

Apartment nonsense is cleared up. Stupid system, corporate automation, employees who can't think their way out of a hula hoop, etc. The one employee who happens to have a brain noted everything's fine, and so we're back to $0 owed, which is how it should be after they cash the rent check.

Renewed my interest in moving out. However, the apartment market here sucks. A lot. And so that's its own brand of disappointment and irritation.

--

Brother is flying out August 1. To add insult to the injury of having him live here for nearly 4 months not doing anything except eating food at an alarming rate and consuming internet bandwidth and electricity 24/7, my dad booked a flight that leaves at 7am. Note that August 1 is a Sunday. >_<

A couple days of freedom (!!!) -- and then Djinn plus one will be crashing with us. I am less concerned about the loss of space in this case because at least Djinn and company will be functioning human beings with interests and life experience and stories.

On the plus side, moving into a tiny apartment won't seem like such a problem after this!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 07:36:14 PM by Lady Door »

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: July 12, 2010, 07:49:32 PM »
If you were a horrible person, you'd drop your brother off at the airport the night before. Just sayin, it'd build character.

-------------------

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: July 12, 2010, 07:54:50 PM »
If you were a horrible person, you'd drop your brother off at the airport the night before. Just sayin, it'd build character.

Yeah. Look at all the character it built for Super!!!

Wait. None.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1148 on: July 12, 2010, 08:01:41 PM »
Hey, I'm pretty sure super invented DOZENS of new swear words after that.  That is the ESSENCE of character.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: July 12, 2010, 08:30:13 PM »
Brother can't use the Bart? Or does it not start that early?
...into the nightfall.