Author Topic: Good Morning, 2010! The Princess' Diary Intarwebs Edition  (Read 114615 times)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: Good Morning, 2010! The Princess' Diary Intarwebs Edition
« Reply #350 on: February 09, 2010, 12:35:55 AM »
With a name like Zenni, skepticism is mandatory.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 09, 2010, 01:43:47 PM »
I really wish my college offered Latin, I'd like to take it. I'm at the point where I can translate most simple lines without a lot of problem, but the actual grammar is painful. (I translate literally and of course that doesn't work with Latin.)

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 09, 2010, 07:34:01 PM »
Don't know anything about online glasses brokers, but the adage "If it's too good to be true, it probably is" tends to go double for anything on the internet. If you do decide to go with them, make sure to use a disposable form of purchase (a one-off Mastercard Gift Card, a dummy PayPal account, etc.).

I really wish my college offered Latin, I'd like to take it. I'm at the point where I can translate most simple lines without a lot of problem, but the actual grammar is painful. (I translate literally and of course that doesn't work with Latin.)

But O HILARIOUS all the same! Latin's not too difficult to self-study -- and people have been doing so for centuries. It's a bitch of a language whether you're in a class for it or not.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 10, 2010, 02:04:28 AM »
Tonight is invigilation! So I am hanging out at the office until then. And then an exam tomorrow~
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 10, 2010, 11:14:59 AM »
I am perfectly justified in placing my blame on the DL. Now if only I had beer.

Just clarifying this one again. (Slept in yesterday, missed college, stayed up until 4am, am now at college with 4 hrs sleep.) I'm seriously considering getting, like, sleeping tablets or something at this point - I don't want to keep taking days off from my course because of something stupid like going to bed late.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 10, 2010, 11:22:12 AM »
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl in the US...think the UK name is similar) is probably a decent bet.  Start out low (like 25 mg, which should be one capsule/tablet).  Try it on a weekend first (so Friday into Saturday) to see how you react to it - some people get knocked out by it, some don't (usually they do).  Also, do it at the time you'd like to get to bed (so...2300 or so?  whatever works for you) or a little before to try and get your cirdacian rhythm back to normal. 
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 10, 2010, 06:08:01 PM »
So, JET interviewee numbers are up, and I'm not on it.  Given that I never got a notification card telling me that my application was received, I'm assuming my application barely didn't get in on time.  I'm a little miffed at the professor who took so long with his letter of recommendation and my eye has started twitching which I don't think it was doing a few minutes ago, but I'm mostly all right with this (and kind of expected it, anyway).   Hooray backup plans?

So, hello there Interac and all you other private companies.  Hello there, GREs.  Hello there, Grad school MFA programs.  I suppose I have an impetus to take you seriously now.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 10, 2010, 07:02:30 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Zenny.

On the other hand, I'm also glad I'm not the only person who couldn't get into JET.

Good luck with the various Plan Bs! My plan B sucked, but it was not one of those things you mentioned, it was "be a lazy bum, get some sort of job and vaguely work until you figure out something else."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:04:17 PM by Lady Door »
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 10, 2010, 08:45:36 PM »
Eh, if I can find somewhere that will pay me well enough AND hire me, I may well do that instead of more school.  I'm still pretty burnt out on school, so it would be nice to take a few years off.  The problem is, nowhere except pretty low-paying slightly-above-minimum wage jobs are hiring nowadays and I already have one of those.  I suspect so long as I keep looking something will come up before I have to quit.

EDIT:  Note to self:  Look into how to get work as a bartender.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:14:25 PM by Makkotah »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 10, 2010, 09:19:32 PM »
* Jo'ou Ranbu eyes his desk at work. I have a Power Ranger head sitting under the computer monitor.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #360 on: February 11, 2010, 01:34:13 PM »
So, JET interviewee numbers are up, and I'm not on it.  Given that I never got a notification card telling me that my application was received, I'm assuming my application barely didn't get in on time.  I'm a little miffed at the professor who took so long with his letter of recommendation and my eye has started twitching which I don't think it was doing a few minutes ago, but I'm mostly all right with this (and kind of expected it, anyway).   Hooray backup plans?

So, hello there Interac and all you other private companies.  Hello there, GREs.  Hello there, Grad school MFA programs.  I suppose I have an impetus to take you seriously now.

If you didn't get a notification in the mail about it, then your application didn't make it in time.

If you still want to work in Japan, there are other options besides Interac that will offer you visa sponsorship and similar working conditions to JET. I've been checking job listings recently, so if I stumble across any like this, I'll let you know about them.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 11, 2010, 01:51:22 PM »
Have been having PC problems lately, think I have narrowed it down to a bit of faulty RAM (Hopefully since it is cheapest and easiest to replace), in the process of testing how many sticks it is and if I am on the ball.

Running a system back up in Windows 7 with only 2 gigs of ram is painful though.  200gig backup as well is kind of shit, but such is life, I know I have it if things go tits up at least.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 11, 2010, 04:50:26 PM »

If you didn't get a notification in the mail about it, then your application didn't make it in time.

If you still want to work in Japan, there are other options besides Interac that will offer you visa sponsorship and similar working conditions to JET. I've been checking job listings recently, so if I stumble across any like this, I'll let you know about them.

Well, my post is kind of bad about not getting things to me.  It's happened more than once. 

Question:  Any chance my "late" application will be considered next January, or would re-submitting be necessary?

Thanks for the offer.  More options is always nice.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #363 on: February 11, 2010, 10:19:39 PM »
Not at all.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 12, 2010, 01:49:54 AM »
* Jo'ou Ranbu calls boyfriend, finds out his holiday is free. Oh and he also bought a bunch of Pixar films on request for us to watch together.

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Idun

« Reply #365 on: February 12, 2010, 02:50:13 AM »
Research symposium tomorrow.

Shaking uncontrollably. I will spazz out. But as my advisor and very imposing, stern and unapproachable professor said, "We're all here to support you, Julia."

At least I know someone will call 911.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #366 on: February 12, 2010, 03:10:54 AM »
* Jo'ou Ranbu calls boyfriend, finds out his holiday is free. Oh and he also bought a bunch of Pixar films on request for us to watch together.

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Man, that is an awkward set of films to be having sex to.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 12, 2010, 03:12:45 AM »
We're definitely turning off the laptop before we jump into bed, don't worry. Boo ain't finding out the awkward truth about boys and boys.

EDIT: Well, not from -us-, anyway.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 03:25:30 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Taishyr

« Reply #368 on: February 12, 2010, 03:19:01 AM »
Idun: Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine!

Snow: ... <_<

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #369 on: February 12, 2010, 03:56:45 AM »
We're definitely turning off the laptop before we jump into bed, don't worry. Boo ain't finding out the awkward truth about boys and boys.

EDIT: Well, not from -us-, anyway.

Happy Valentine's Day, Boo. <3

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 12, 2010, 04:18:37 AM »
So, I've been playing the Saxophone again recently since I'm bored out of my tits.  But all the sheet music I have is either A) too simple classical music, B) avant garde modern compositions (re: nonsense), C) Boring as sin.  I've also been on a Beatles kick for the last few months so I pick up a set of sheet music.

Problem?  Somehow, in transposing the melody to Saxophone, they managed to transpose it to some weird key that is NOT AT ALL what the song itself is in.  All the intervals are correct, but the key is off.

This is extremely infuriating, not because I have to transpose the music (which in itself has been OK practice), but because each song is somehow in a different (but still incorrect) key.  So I spent ~30 minutes transposing While My Guitar Gently Weeps the same way I transposed A Day in the Life (A=C, so three keys up and then an octave down I believe?) only to find out that what I had been working on is still in an entirely wrong key.

Sigh.  Lesson learned, I guess (play while I transpose), but it really makes me wonder who the fuck did the transposition for this book and what sort of mental or aural disorder they have.  Or if I myself am just missing something because my music theory knowledge sucks.  Either way, INTERNET WHINING.

EDIT:  I am retarded and transposed in the wrong direction.  Also figured out the problem is that they didn't transpose it to an Eb instrument at all so if I just think in the concert key transposing is now very very easy.

EDIT 2: Actually I have no idea what's up.  That works with some songs but not with others. I'm assuming that it has something to do with them gimping the key signatures to make it easier for beginning players?  Either way, it's a poor way to publish a set of sheet music if you ask me. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 04:48:34 AM by Makkotah »

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 12, 2010, 10:27:53 AM »
asddagdsgdsfgsgdffg.

Have been kinda ill lately. Just a cough, headache, cold, etc - generic sorta flu symptoms, really - but one of my friends has apparently recently had swine flu. Great. >.>
Anyways, I'm now on my way into college, potentially with swine flu, because I have an assignment due in. Unless I have a doctor's note, I can't get an extension on the deadline, and it's easier for me to get to college and do the damn assignment than it is for me to find out who the fuck my doctor even is and get there.

argh. Screw you, system. >.<

(Although, hey, I guess I can blame illness for my sleep pattern! Probably still the DL's influence, of course.)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 12, 2010, 12:12:13 PM »
bought a bunch of Pixar films to watch

You are so gay.

RAM being fucked theory is holding up so hopefully I will just vanish randomly from chat for extended periods for my normal reasons instead of computer breaking.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 12, 2010, 01:30:05 PM »
Steam is a bitch when it can't reach the internet.

Guys I'm totally okay playing Audiosurf in offline mode. And no, no you can't update right now.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 12, 2010, 01:31:51 PM »

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Man, that is an awkward set of films to be having sex to.

I disagree. Any set of movies with titles such as "Up" and "Toy Story" seem to be well suited for that kind of thing. >_>