Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 358416 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #1375 on: March 23, 2010, 02:38:27 PM »
So Kitase and Nomura have each done something to justify their existence (assuming Kitase deserves credit for the overall package of Crisis Core), while Toriyama is a waste of hair and organs. Gotcha.

The biggest irony is that FF7CC could have sucked big time if Kitase did it himself. As a lot of good ideas in CC came from Nomura, who originally wasn't a part of CC until Kitase pulls him in.

This is one of the reasons I can never hate Nomura.  If he can fix up compilation related shit and make it coherent and actually good at times (CC's plot = bad, but it had an occasional well done scene, mostly cause it had oddly good character work...and there's the ending of course), then the guyt has to have some idea what he's doing.

From what I understand, one of AC's problems was that Nomura was stressed out and didn't like directing the whole thing as a result, as it was the first major thing he strong armed the entire way (sounds almost like Kingdom Hearts he kind of just wrote a bunch of ideas down and said "Make a game out of this, please?")
Honestly, if AC is the only real strike against your name (well...ok, he has the "Lets fuck up Cloud's character" thing, which is pretty bad), that's really not that bad.  AC wasn't exactly brilliant work, but it had SOME good qualities (shiny action scenes!)  Contrast to the stuff we blame Kitase for, its something we can forgive <_<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: March 23, 2010, 04:42:11 PM »
K. So I can finally seem to try to empathize with those who say that The Last Remnant is a difficult game. I only noticed it during the spike on the second-to-last boss Gates of Hell on Disc 1.

I have friend stuck on that exact boss fight :) for 2 weeks now and before that he was stuck on Mr Catapult and Mrs human ammo for a couple of months. Hell he brought a guide due to it. I personally like hard gams but LRs style of hardness is unappealing from my observers standpoint.

SO4 - Ashlay finally manned up and allowed me to face him. Party were all level 96 and consisted of Lymle/Meatshield/Meatshield/Meatshield. Method of attack was have Lymle hit for 400K while the rest took hits and crapped out shitty damage (10K? What the hell game).
Trinity Blaze must have some insane multipliers on it because damn thats a lot of damage. Lymle has like 40 times the damage everyone else has (WTF?).

FF13 - *Yawn*. Killing turtles and farming Cp isn't exactly the most exciting thing. When I'm maxed out I'll try facing the superboss who beyond his "Lols I Liek kill u allz" attack has some pretty crappy damage. Oh yeah traps haven't dropped at all yet >:(
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 04:45:51 PM by Rozalia »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: March 23, 2010, 09:11:57 PM »
MM10: Beat Protoman mode!  This mode reminds me why I hate MM7 and all things related to it.  It might make some sense to you if you've played MM10!

Protoman Mode is definitely harder than Megaman.  While all the fun little gimmicks like the Shield, Charge Shots and Sliding are awesome...the extra damage you take just really makes things so much harder.  With Megaman, it often felt like you could take the hit until you got down to about 5 health or so, and that's when you start worrying.  Protoman?  When only 1/3rd of your gauge left, you start freaking out cause you fear that the next hit WILL kill you.  It was like half the enemies were Elecman :(

Also...

The World Ends With You: Finally got around to starting this.  On Day 3.  The game is...uh...not really appealing to me.  Don't like how the stylus really feels in this, and its style just isn't really meshing with me well.  Also not fond of constant j-Rock as like the only style of music in the game.  Maybe I just don't like games that take place in a Modern Japanese Setting <_<

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: March 23, 2010, 11:28:02 PM »
Miles Edgeworth:

Ahh...Phoenix Wright games.  Where having a mountain of evidence against you is a sure-fire sign of innocent, and cleavage and spiky hair are both strong reasons to be suspicious of someone.

Taishyr

« Reply #1379 on: March 23, 2010, 11:33:12 PM »
What if they have cleavage, spiky hair -and- a mountain of evidence against them?

Bardiche

« Reply #1380 on: March 23, 2010, 11:40:45 PM »
Thankfully PW games don't take themselves serious.

Tai: obviously a red herring meant for the final case for full-on trainwreck.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: March 23, 2010, 11:41:37 PM »
Where having a mountain of evidence against you is a sure-fire sign of innocent

<major PW spoiler> Matt Enguarde </major PW spoiler> though yes they deliberate PLAY with their established trope even in this case so it really only makes your point stronger. <_<

Also started AA:I, finished the first case. Digging it so far, case writing seems to have stepped back up from AJ, Edgeworth himself is delightful, and the music is so far series-best which says nothing coming from me but hey. Still too early for more substantial judgement obviously.

MM10 - Also playing this, but don't like talking about MM games until I'm at least done with the robot master levels.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: March 24, 2010, 01:27:20 AM »
FF3DS - Extensive foreknowledge of what to do: handles even bad design. CoD conquered with no resets, although I never went down my toes. Killed both tentacles to be completely safe even, and oddly timed Curagas could've easily spoiled my day even so. All well and good in the end, though!
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: March 24, 2010, 02:36:34 AM »
When was that?  When they put out stuff in the SNES era and rebranded it to be Final Fantasy or Secrets of (ANUS) games?  Or in the Playstation Era when they made sequels for those games?

And you call yourself a Vagrant Story fan! But yeah, Playstation era Square for the win. Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, Brave Fencer Musashi (Think that was them), that game with Mint in it, Saga Fronteir (And that's just off the top of my head). All new games/series, if standalones.
...into the nightfall.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: March 24, 2010, 02:37:48 AM »
Saga Frontier had other games in the series, but they didn't come out in the US.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: March 24, 2010, 03:00:50 AM »
Yeah, the entire Romancing SaGa Series was skipped in the US, which was the SNES follow up of SaGa which did actually come here as Final Fantasy Legends.

I think Final Fantasy Adventure technically wasn't a total name change; IIRC, the full title of the game in Japan was something like "Final Fantasy: Seiken Densetsu" or so I heard, which is why there's stuff like Chocobos and Moogles in the game (Moogles managed to stay in later games, Chocobos...not so much.)  They just removed the "Final Fantasy" in the title when the 2nd game came out, and just released that one here as "Secret of Mana" making the fact that the two games were of the same series confusing in the US!  At least the "Mana" title stood consistent...

I think its also worth noting that FF12RW came out after a time that FF Sequels were not unheard of; before FFX-2, the only sequel was...that FF5 OVA, which apparently had almost nothing to do with FF5, outside of establishing it as being the same world, some ridiculous number of decades later so the relation is purely a setting one.  So in reality, the idea of a true FF Sequel was indeed unheard of before FFX-2.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1386 on: March 24, 2010, 05:37:30 AM »
When was that?  When they put out stuff in the SNES era and rebranded it to be Final Fantasy or Secrets of (ANUS) games?  Or in the Playstation Era when they made sequels for those games?

And you call yourself a Vagrant Story fan! But yeah, Playstation era Square for the win. Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, Brave Fencer Musashi (Think that was them), that game with Mint in it, Saga Fronteir (And that's just off the top of my head). All new games/series, if standalones.

I really enjoyed PE when it first came out, but FUUUUUUUUUUCK it is hard to play now. Lots and lots and lots of unskippable dialogue.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1387 on: March 24, 2010, 05:52:03 AM »
It can't be THAT much, the game's all of three hours long once you achieve "OHKO all enemies" levels.  Well, three hours 35 minutes, but anyway.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: March 24, 2010, 06:13:08 AM »
It's another of those games where scenes take forever because the characters have to go "Scroll all text. FULLY EMOTE. Next scroll of test. FULL EMOTE."

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1389 on: March 24, 2010, 06:16:51 AM »
Ah, the legacy of early polygon animation.  Yeah, that gets old fast.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: March 24, 2010, 06:27:20 AM »
Parasite Eve badly needs a remake. There is so much that is cool in the game, but man it really shows it's age.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: March 24, 2010, 06:38:46 AM »
FACT: Aya doesn't need a weapon because she can cut people with her highly angular face.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: March 24, 2010, 12:26:04 PM »
FFXIII- Chapter Nine. Three things -

*Sazh is the man!

*Dajh is adorable

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
*Vanille is Aeris(Nt)!?

Probably going to end up with Sazh, Vanille and Snow for my party and stick to their specific roles since missions/new roles sound like a grindfest from the way people have been talking. Might also just forge right ahead to complete the story for that reason as well and leave optional stuff for later but I dunno. I tend to become rather unbalanced when I discover a shiny to become stupidly overpowered with >_> I heard it's not possible to return to the area in Chapter 11 so I might end up stopping there for a while at any rate <_<
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: March 24, 2010, 04:32:04 PM »
You can return to Pulse don't worry, also due to the locking of the grid there is never a point you'll feel overpowered. If thats good or bad is up to you.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: March 24, 2010, 05:16:57 PM »
It may be worth it endgame to take Fang (or maybe Vanille if you are going to get lots of CP) into Synergist. They get the buffs better than what the others get.

Idun

« Reply #1395 on: March 24, 2010, 07:54:28 PM »
K. So I can finally seem to try to empathize with those who say that The Last Remnant is a difficult game. I only noticed it during the spike on the second-to-last boss Gates of Hell on Disc 1.

Woah. That's a while.

I did not have an issue on the God Emperor's duo besides not being able to clearly see the troops I was attacking. IE, first battle I ran straight into the fray, second battle I ran straight to the woman and died. Best strategy, I think, is to realize that the extra troop you have guides you in the proper direction to the duo's support troops. The duo doesn't attack for the first couple of rounds and spend a round having to march towards you in the plateau area. That way, hopefully you can kill off all the side troops in 3-4 rounds, the woman in the 4th-5th and then the HUEG guy in the 5-7th. Granted, I went in to the battle after having done plenty of sidequesting and I invested in the 19k dollars worth Caedmon who becomes pretty valuable because of the stat affecting skills he has. Good damage, good defense and so far the best leader if you want a 4th union, which I had until the Gates of Hell.

Emma did 20K on the Gates of Hell with her Hundred Flowers attack. Yeeeeeahhhh. (: Perhaps he needs to battle for stronger techs to take the boss out faster, and do some questing to different areas so his troops can get better equipment from battle booty!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 07:57:13 PM by Idun »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: March 24, 2010, 10:35:28 PM »
Psykoden - Just started. In this game, everybodytalksreallyreallyfastandit'shardtomakeoutwhatthey'resayingsometimes, but then you get to Tally-chu andhereallyreallyreallytalksreallyfastlikeyoudon'tknowuntilyoutryright?

Also, I named the hero Tally-chu because the game refused to let me name him Milhouse -or- Memehouse. Sorry, man.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: March 25, 2010, 01:32:49 AM »
DMC3: Beat up a succubus. Who then turned into an electric guitar. That fires bats at people. Yeah.

(Seems like a pretty impractical weapon gameplaywise, sadly.)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: March 25, 2010, 01:42:47 AM »
The Nevan is actually the single best weapon when it comes to Crowd Control and playing defensively.  At the same time, the weapon is 100% Technical, contrast to the Rebellion and Agni/Rudra which are pretty straight forward *SMASH* and Cerberus which is just "Rapidly Press the attack button."  Its not a beginners weapon, in any event, but it does have plenty of potential and apparently comes a lot in handy on higher modes if learned.

I'd use it more, except I still haven't figured out the proper way TO use it.  The Electric Slide move is about the only thing I know how to do, which while bad ass, is still situational.

(its kind of crappy at boss fighting granted, but that's why you use two weapons!  A&R or Rebellion are generally good fallbacks due to ease of use and flexibility)

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: March 25, 2010, 02:06:56 AM »
That way, hopefully you can kill off all the side troops in 3-4 rounds, the woman in the 4th-5th and then the HUEG guy in the 5-7th

He must have not have had enough offence because it took a lot longer then that for the fight to end. The troops and the women weren't a problem to him, it was the massive guy OHKOing him whenever he felt like using his massive damage move. He only beat them when he discovered he could actually revive his unions, something he still doesn't know how to to make appear in the commands window.