imageRegister

Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 358410 times)

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #1975 on: May 04, 2010, 06:22:14 PM »
One opinion.
Another opinion.

You know what I like about the Fire Emblem games? Anybody can end up decent, and anybody can end up bad, purely because of luck.

This is one of the many reasons I loathe FE games.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: May 04, 2010, 06:29:12 PM »
Also, bullshit on him having 'meat tanks' in the early game. To start out, the only character you have more durable than him is Nolan.
False. The black Knight, Tauroneo, Sothe and Nailah (Untransformed) can all tank while not kill stealing through counter-attacks (Unequip weapon).
Reading comprehension is your friend.  He doesn't have anybody but Nolan for several maps before you get anyone else that can take a hit.  Getting them eventually is not the same as having them at the beginning. 

Seriously, though. Are you basing all your opinions on one single playthrough of the game and ignoring the way characters can come out different and growths and shit?

I should say the same thing to you. Edward can come out bad like all characters can but he can also turn out good so he isn't always as bad as you say. Yet I'm the one wrong because I'm saying Edward isn't always that bad while everyone else is right because he sucked in their game right? Edwards growths are fine so if he turned out wrong then whatever he turned out wrong thats no reason to be so heavy in the hate of him.
You're the one ignoring the way characters can come out different and growths and shit?
Sure, Edward's growths are fine.  That is not the point!  Explain to me how his growths that will generally put him on par with the other swordmasters, NOT way ahead of them, is worth the effort of levelling him all the way from where he starts as opposed to just taking a swordmaster that starts with a several level advantage and is therefore not a liability before he gains a few levels.  This isn't even going into things like how his support bonuses are horrible compared to the others either.  And don't give me bullshit about him not being a liablility.  Unless you're getting extremely good RNG luck he can't afford to be attacked more than once, maybe twice, for several levels and he only has one other person to cover for him for his first few maps when he's at his weakest.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: May 04, 2010, 06:29:42 PM »
Can we add FE9 Lucia to that list?  And FE7 Karla? And FE6 Sophia?

EDIT: That was to Just Another Day.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 06:32:03 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Just Another Day

• Just Another Dollar
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • (BL)
« Reply #1978 on: May 04, 2010, 06:35:43 PM »
Can we add FE9 Lucia to that list?  And FE7 Karla? And FE6 Sophia?

If you like, I'm not going to argue to hard. I do think all three of those are conceivably usable, however, whereas FE9 Bastian I don't think is capable of being anything other than a liability under any reasonable circumstance (save rampant stat booster abuse, which just doesn't count).

Well, okay, he can soften up wyvern knights decently in the chapter he joins in, so long as you keep him away from the real enemies. And the ballistae. And the Black Knight. Sigh.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: May 04, 2010, 07:25:17 PM »
I found Bastian to be at least somewhat useful on the starting map. Lucia... yuck to the durability, and she is range 1.  Those arrows are a serious problem for anyone who doesn't have defense- mostly due to the AOJKSDFLKASDJFSD CRITSSSSSSSSSSSSS OF DOOM, but yeah.

It's not a big deal about a few PC's who join late being bad; as every single FE game I've finished has some sort of emergency backup plan. FE7 has Athos to deal with the dragon, FE8 has the tower so you can level, 9/10 have both BEXP and some very good lategame units to babysit you.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 07:34:15 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: May 04, 2010, 07:41:35 PM »
I should say the same thing to you. Edward can come out bad like all characters can but he can also turn out good so he isn't always as bad as you say. Yet I'm the one wrong because I'm saying Edward isn't always that bad while everyone else is right because he sucked in their game right? Edwards growths are fine so if he turned out wrong then whatever he turned out wrong thats no reason to be so heavy in the hate of him.

No one is saying Edward's growths suck - because they don't. He has what? 45 strength? 40 Defense? 60 Speed? That's pretty damn good. The problem is, he can't really put those growths to his advantage because his bases are pretty bad and at the point where he is present in the game, he dies to like two hits. Even on easy mode. That's just damning.

Also, no one is calling you 'wrong'. You're the one who's basically going oh lolzguize u peeps suck at using Edward >_>. Sure, he turned out great on your file - I've gotten a really damn awesom Edward too. But guess what though? On average, Edward's a worse investment than Zihark because Zihark does the same things if not better for a large portion of the maps than Edward. AND he doesn't need that early experience, which he CAN give to some other units like Aran. That's a much larger advantage. And guess what? When multiple people start playing multiple playthroughs, chances are it is going to conform to the average. So it's no surprise that Edward looks terrible to almost everyone else. Note, even if Edward does dominate in the end, it takes him way too long to get there. Mia and Zihark meanwhile are much safer investments because they start off pretty damn awesome.

Also...

All you guys slagging off Edward are a bunch of haters. Edward is no worse then any of the other swordsmen statwise and is overall better as Zihark steals xp for a time while Mia is an utter waste of space unless you skip Ed and Zihark. If he dies then you're the one doing something wrong as you are given 3 meat-tanks to block any and all hits. The enemy AI is retarded so how any of you are dying I have no idea.

I really really like how this turns out to be an advantage for Edward >_>. Yes, Zihark and Mia are a waste of space because you don't need 3 meat tanks to make them good! In this case, I should jump on the Nino hype train. PENT IS A WASTE OF SPACE BECAUSE NINO HAS INFINITE MEAT SHIELDS TO GIVE HER EXPS AND GET BETTER AND BECAUSE PENT STEALS EXPS!

tldr version:
BLAH BLAH OPINIONS BLAH.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 07:43:36 PM by Tide »
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: May 04, 2010, 07:50:39 PM »
Singleplayer? You're doing it wrong

Can't rank versus yet because I've been concentrating on Scavenge, and I haven't played versus on all the campaigns yet.

Mega Man 10: Cleared enough challenges to reach rank D. Haven't played the real game yet.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: May 04, 2010, 08:39:14 PM »
I don't want to argue this any further as we'll get nowhere and start repeating ourselfs like parrots. Tide pretty much nailed it anyway. I think Edward is worth the effort while everyone else doesn't, end of.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: May 04, 2010, 09:26:44 PM »

Can't rank versus yet because I've been concentrating on Scavenge, and I haven't played versus on all the campaigns yet.

Wait. Are you doing Campaign Mode at all?

Deus Ex-Cleared the mansion, off to go get some shinies. Come to think of it I don't think I did the correct trigger to get Gunther's killphrase, so unless he can be knocked unconscious I'll probably have to take him out. Skill-wise I got Advanced in Pistols, not sure what to do next. I'm swimming in Lockpicks and Multitools, being able to hack turrets isn't really worth it, but I'm not using rifles or any other lethal weapons so those are out too. I guess I could get MASTER OF SWIMMING or something but eh. Augs wise I've got Cloak up to level 3. Next canister I get will probably max that out. Then I dunno. I guess I could max Regen but it's kinda pointless since my only gameover are from getting one-shot by MJ12 Commandos anyway.

Speaking of MJ12 Commandos, Fuck MJ12 Commandos. They take like 6 tranq rounds, are immune to stun from the prod, and basically one-shot me with anything on Realistic. I basically have to Dragon Sword them because literally nothing else works unless I'm willing to spend the entire rest of the game camping in vents or constantly reloading and hoping to get lucky. Bleh. 
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: May 04, 2010, 10:30:26 PM »
Strange Journey - Got up to Sector E, poking around Sectors C and D for Enemy Search demons because why not.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: May 04, 2010, 10:53:01 PM »
One opinion.
Another opinion.

You know what I like about the Fire Emblem games? Anybody can end up decent, and anybody can end up bad, purely because of luck.

At the end of the day all conversation is pointless and all discussion is meaningless *slits wrists*

There's something very wrong with us.  So let's go out tonight.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: May 04, 2010, 11:30:48 PM »
One opinion.
Another opinion.

At the end of the day all conversation is pointless and all discussion is meaningless *slits wrists*

There's something very wrong with you. So let's stay in tonight.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: May 04, 2010, 11:35:51 PM »
pics now
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1988 on: May 04, 2010, 11:39:34 PM »

Wait. Are you doing Campaign Mode at all?

Deus Ex-Cleared the mansion, off to go get some shinies. Come to think of it I don't think I did the correct trigger to get Gunther's killphrase, so unless he can be knocked unconscious I'll probably have to take him out. Skill-wise I got Advanced in Pistols, not sure what to do next. I'm swimming in Lockpicks and Multitools, being able to hack turrets isn't really worth it, but I'm not using rifles or any other lethal weapons so those are out too. I guess I could get MASTER OF SWIMMING or something but eh. Augs wise I've got Cloak up to level 3. Next canister I get will probably max that out. Then I dunno. I guess I could max Regen but it's kinda pointless since my only gameover are from getting one-shot by MJ12 Commandos anyway.

Speaking of MJ12 Commandos, Fuck MJ12 Commandos. They take like 6 tranq rounds, are immune to stun from the prod, and basically one-shot me with anything on Realistic. I basically have to Dragon Sword them because literally nothing else works unless I'm willing to spend the entire rest of the game camping in vents or constantly reloading and hoping to get lucky. Bleh. 

Isn't Gunther one of the two people who have to die no matter what?

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: May 05, 2010, 01:31:44 AM »
Right, but I figured maybe if you knock him out his dead man switch goes off or whatever so technically I wouldn't have killed him. Small hope but oh well.

Now what the fuck I'm gonna do with Walter Simons is what you should have asked.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: May 05, 2010, 03:13:35 AM »
Hey CapK, do you know anything about any upcoming pokemon events, if there are any?

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: May 05, 2010, 03:54:04 AM »
Right, but I figured maybe if you knock him out his dead man switch goes off or whatever so technically I wouldn't have killed him. Small hope but oh well.

Now what the fuck I'm gonna do with Walter Simons is what you should have asked.

Well, after some 20-odd tranq darts and a good 10 or so riot prod shockings Gunther refuses to go down. Luckily, Cloak keeps him from finding me and I can simply run to the metro station since I found everything else there was to find. Now I'm at Vanderbilt, with a fully maxed out Cloak and an Advanced Level Electronics.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: May 05, 2010, 04:19:09 AM »
Hey CapK, do you know anything about any upcoming pokemon events, if there are any?

I'm assuming you mean downloadable stuff?  Celebi and the gerbils with good movesets are being given out in Japan now (or soon, or recently in the past, I forget).  Expect to see them in North America in a few months.  Nothing else going on that I know about.

HGSS:  Breeding for tournament continues, going fairly well.  Should be done this week.  Then just have to EV train and practice/fine tune.

PWI:  Finally quit the game because I just don't have time for it anymore.  Stopped at level 94.

TvsC:  Dabbling with this when I'm sick of hatching Pokemon eggs.  Finally got all the routes on All-Shooters mode, and almost have everything bought from the shop.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1993 on: May 05, 2010, 05:04:57 AM »
One opinion.
Another opinion.

This is one of the many reasons I loathe FE games.

It makes it impossible to have a setting other than "softball" and "cock-punching hard."

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: May 05, 2010, 05:33:38 AM »
Well I also meant anything like Toys'r'us events or anything, but thanks. What do you mean by gerbils with good movesets?

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: May 05, 2010, 05:49:19 AM »
He means stuff like FLare Blitz Entei.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1996 on: May 05, 2010, 05:53:26 AM »
Well, the Yellow Forest event ends this week, so in the next couple the next wifi event should be announced.  Could be a Mew, I think?  Just guessing based on what Serebii has listed for Japanese events.  Celebi/Gerbils will probably be later in the year as a non-wifi thing.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: May 05, 2010, 08:14:25 AM »
One opinion.
Another opinion.

There's something very wrong with you. So let's stay in tonight.

The questions, the queries, the rhetoric, the theories, it hurts me. :(
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: May 05, 2010, 09:23:54 AM »
Record of Agraset War: Finished Generation 1.  Annnnnnnd that's enough for me.  Cross Edge was a terrible game but it at least had Prinnies.  This game however is inherits all the flaws of CE and adds more stupid bullshit (9x9 AOE Instant death attacks? gj bosses).  Everything is cryptic from skill combos to pathsplits and even the "dating" aspect doesn't make any sense. Somehow going north makes the elfgirl hate me while the lance chick like me more? What? Honestly, having ecchi anime elfgirl softcore porn would actually be more interesting just like the game was marketed as.

I know Niu said Idea Factory was bad, but wow they're really bad.  Why can't they make gameplay a bit more traditional given the target audience of "2d on HD" games are people who loved RPGs of the old? Instead they experiment with convoluted mechanics just so they can say the game is deep and strategic.  Also, item synthesis is Atelier's gimmick and okay in Ar Tonelico and CE but there's no real reason to have it in Agarest War.  Now they added in "Monster synthesis" by capturing monsters and trading them in for items.  But good luck capturing monsters with its sub 10% capture rate attack that only works when the monster has 1 HP.

I'm totally using the boobie mousepad FYI.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1999 on: May 05, 2010, 09:43:14 AM »
ARGH SUIKODEN TIERKREIS!

*reads up* Hmm... it's not as bad as Idea Factory at least.

Anyway, STier's Blacksmith upgrades based on how much Trading you do. I don't know how much trading anyone has done in the previous Suikoden games, but if you're like me, you traded one or two things early on and then whatever you had on you later in the game when you were getting money for sharpening. Basically it was a nice system if you wanted to abuse it, but if you didn't want to take the time to copy down item prices from every town in the game for every one of their six thousand trade items, you ignored it.

STier makes things a bit more required. Copied from the FAQ because you should hear it from the point of view of someone who liked the game enough to write a FAQ for it.

What you need to do to increase the Blacksmith's selection is trade, trade,
trade!  You're going to need to trade a ton from one village to another in
order to unlock new weapons and armor.  Just selling a dozen won't work, it
needs to be a lot.

A good place to start would be buying Butterfly Wings in Salsabil and
selling them in Grayridge. You need to, literally, sell 30 Butterfly
Wings to the Butterfly Robe to appear in the Armor section.  Fortunately
for you, Butterfly Wings stack up to 10, so it only takes three trips from
Citro to Grayridge to fill that requirement. The Butterfly Robe costs
80,000 Potch, but is a very nice item that not only has a defense of 60, but
adds 10 Magical attack and 20 magical defense!  At the very least, you may
want to spend some time trading and experimenting with, literally, hundreds
of items in order to unlock new armor.  You'll make a nice profit in the
process. I'd suggest waiting until a bit later in the game, however, to
spend a lot of time trading.  It can be somewhat mind-numbing just wandering
back and forth between areas and you don't want to ruin the normal game for
yourself.

Thanks, FAQ-guy, you've hit the nail on the head.