Register

Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 356297 times)

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #200 on: January 12, 2010, 04:07:47 AM »
How do you chain Meltdown? Do you just press and hold the button again?
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 12, 2010, 04:14:17 AM »
When you're in EX mode, just hit the button again after you let it loose.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2010, 04:35:25 AM »
Press the HP Attack button after the initial shot.  From my experience, its almost always a level 3 that's fire irregardless of the level of the first shot, though I have seen Level 2's fired off.  I think it might depend on how much time is between shots or something. 
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 12, 2010, 04:48:43 AM »
It's got to do with the timing, definitely, then. I have pressed the HP attack right after, and it didn't do anything most of the time. Though the once time I managed it, I got off two Lvl 1's, actually. >_>
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 12, 2010, 04:49:46 AM »
SRWW - Wow, did you guys need to take that long to give me a Black Serena? Oh well. *FUBs it anyway.*
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 12, 2010, 05:19:43 AM »
It's got to do with the timing, definitely, then. I have pressed the HP attack right after, and it didn't do anything most of the time. Though the once time I managed it, I got off two Lvl 1's, actually. >_>

Really? Its incredibly easy to pull off; heck, I just did it now and got 3 level 3's in a row after using a level 1.

You do realize you're suppose to press the attack while she's still in animation of the move, right?  Like fire a level 1, and while she's still recovering from the Fireball, press it against immediately.  Its easier to do wtih a level 2, where I can just say "press it while the fireball is still out."

I...really don't know how you can't get the timing down.  Its pretty simple "press the button as the other one is going on."

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 12, 2010, 05:27:22 AM »
Yeah, alright. I think I'm pressing it too soon.
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 12, 2010, 10:34:44 PM »
SRWW - *Gai gets like 20 levels in a single stage.* alrighty then.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 12, 2010, 10:49:19 PM »

Now, we've got an important question here: Which one?
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 12, 2010, 10:51:14 PM »
I think I shall withhold my advice on Terra Chaining for the moment, since it will immeadiatly be used against me.  Though, I will say there's few things as fun as Twin Holy Combo.

Anyways, J and @G are both still on the backburner, mostly because J's gotten too long and the mid battle save too jittery to actually play it while going from place to place.  And while I am figuring out how to deal with that, trial and error tends to be accidental, and therefore eat a few hours of time each time it happens.  So, Soul Nomad.  I have given a 9 slot Gladitorium to Juno, a schwack of nereids, and filled up the back row with Saboteurs and a Cleric.  It wrecks things.  The other groups I have aren't nearly as settled, though Trishia seems to be staying consistant with three archers, a cleric and a front row of Grunz and some redflanks.  Anyways, everything that can be locked now is locked at 9 slots, and it is kinda fun.

As for plot...  just finished the third world eater arc.  It...  lived up to its hype.  And it got a lot of hype.  So, kinda interested to see where things go from here.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 12, 2010, 10:52:30 PM »

Now, we've got an important question here: Which one?

Gai Daigouji, Nadesico. I figured I'd use Double Gekigan Flare for its over 7k power at cap+Soul-powered glory for 120 Will. For all two stages you get to use it for.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:56:18 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2010, 10:39:09 AM »
WoW: Hahahaha, my shitty tank gear gets me hit capped for some insane reason.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2010, 11:10:57 AM »
That happens sometimes. When I was in full ToC gear I was at the expertise cap, which was fucking ridiculous.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 13, 2010, 01:57:32 PM »
Endless Frontier

Beaten, 1st RPG I beat since.....oh....let's say Persona 4. Haken, you class act, what a way to end the game. And rightfully so, he deserves it!

Fun game, silly story, awesome fighting system. I'd prolly give it a 6/10 or something. I doubt it has much replay value.

Dragon Quest 4

So, I have played the 1st Dragon Quest games when I was just getting into emulator and such, but do not remember their stories other then the intros. I know these games do things like trilogies or something. My question is: Is there anything I should know of importance that happens in the 1st 3 games while I play this one?

Anyways, I named the main Solo because I hate you all. I just finished chapter 2 and now get to play a fat merchant who had some sort of ridiculous cult following which even got him his own game! Yay!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 13, 2010, 02:02:53 PM »
Nope, DQ4 has no tie ins to the previous games. DQ4-6 are the trilogy.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 13, 2010, 03:56:15 PM »
IIRC, DQ4-6 are either related VERY LOOSELY with no actual references to how beyond "They all have Zenithia", and the order is 6-4-5 (I believe in DQ6, you actually save Zenithia and its before Zenithian Equips came into being, or at least, were named Zenithian stuff; the legendary set in that game was something else, which I think the theory is that AFTER DQ6, they were called Zenithian Equips) *OR* the games aren't related and its just reusing the same elements for the heck of it.

The logic is, again, Zenithia's existence in these 3 and its lack of existence in the others, and I believe the fact that there are some trademarks specific to these 3 games as well, but dunno them offhand. 

This is contrast to DQ3-1-2 Trilogy where the game is explicit about the link ups, which are fairly obvious, so really no point in bringing them up.  Don't think the "Zenithian Trilogy" actually references each other at all, so its a loose connection at best.  Its kind of like BoF 1/2/3 vs. BoF4's relation to said trilogy.  BoF2/3 openly reference BoF1 in a few ways that's more than just arbitrary cameos, BoF4 is sometimes predicted to be a Prequel, IF related at all, cause it CANNOT work as a sequel, but there's little to no justification behind this other than things like "BoF4 has Deis!"

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 13, 2010, 08:27:05 PM »
SRW - Final stage already? That's vaguely sad.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 13, 2010, 08:27:28 PM »
Just finished grind fest I mean chapter 3 in DQ4.

No more merchant!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 14, 2010, 12:27:06 AM »
Finally got the PS3 back from my stupid little brother who's had it stolen up in his room for the better part of a year, so went on a demo downloading spree.

Lego Indy 2: Plays almost exactly the same as the original.

Super Rub-a-dub: One of those wooden labyrinth type games... with rubber duckies and sharks! Uses the motion sensor in the PS3 controller, and while it's an interesting concept, I don't think it has enough in it to be worth a full game.

Fat Princess: Pretty darn entertaining. Just one problem - I started the demo map on the default settings, and there were so many players there was no way there was going to be a a winner. After playing for half an hour, I just quit the map.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 14, 2010, 12:37:01 AM »
KOTOR - No, I'm not replaying it, but my roommate is and I've been watching while reading books.  Game is 100% easier with a Guardian with 18/18/10/8/8/8 base stats.  Additionally, naming the main character Darth Revan makes the scene on the Leviathan absurd.

Braid - Beat World 5 after giving up and FAQing the last piece.  World 6 is annoying but I think I can do it.

Trine - Level... 3?  This game sucks.  The combat is obnoxious (So, my cursor controls the shield but the D-pad controls where I attack?  Ugh.) and there's no reason to not just have the Thief spam level 2 arrows to get rid of the enemies.  Physics puzzles are kind of cool but also INSANELY TEDIOUS and the method for rotating Planks is stupid (I should not have to spend 6 minutes getting a plank rotated just right because some jackass decided that the planks needed momentum when you're rotating them.  Ugh.).  I may not continue playing this game for a while.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 01:05:17 AM by Makkotah »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 14, 2010, 12:40:26 AM »
TO: Finally managed to kill enough bosses to unlock floor 26. I haven't beaten either of the recruitable bosses on floors 21 and 24 because seriously, what the fuck. I was actually doing very well on the latter when suddenly...Master Spark brutally sodomizes the team for what I swear looked like six-digit damage. Fucking overkill limit on a 15 million HP boss. We get it game, your bosses are hardcore. Lay off it already.

I'm pretty sure completing inventory of the maingame equips is necessary for getting the fifth star and unlocking something (presumably a PC or two) back on floor 20, but the game will not cooperate with the random drops. There are two items missing. Two. One of them is apparently found on floor 20 and I am astonished it hasn't appeared by now given that I've probably spent a solid five hours leveling on that damn floor. I think the game's just going out of its way to cockblock me by this point. Hate.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 14, 2010, 12:47:02 AM »
Okami: just killed a huge freaking spider through gimmicky means.

...ok, whoever said this game isn't "that much like Zelda" really needs to look beyond the obvious differences.  Yes, combat is different, yes, Amateratsu can Jump, and yes, there are different growth patterns...

But lets be reasonable here; that's what makes Okami not a ZELDA RIP OFF.  Its still very much the same style of game.  You do random things, then a big dungeon with a lot of puzzles (for all that Okami is a bit more blatant about how to do them, for better or worse), sometimes item collecting is involved.  You gain power ups that let you do more odd shenanigans, and you kill enemies to gain things like Health, Money, and Magic Refills, but *NOT* EXP!

There are even many of the same style of items.  I mean, I got the Bomb painting not long ago, and I JUST got an art that's Not!Hook Shot...if I get a Boomerang and Bow&Arrow (which I'm doubtful of, granted), I'll have gotten all Zelda Stereotypes <.<

So, uh, yeah, the game is very much the exact same genre as Zelda, just like any self respecting game, it actually tries to be unique rather than just rip off a popular title.

THAT SAID...the game is fun so far <_<

Note: I'm aware most people basically sum up Okami as "Zelda-like", but there was one person who actually said "I don't get why its compared to Zelda much; the two aren't that alike" and that stands out.  Heck, I even have several IRL friends (a few are MAJOR Zelda fans even), and they openly state "Game is Zelda-like", so yeah, I'm aware whoever said this is in the minority.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 12:48:57 AM by Meeplelard »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 14, 2010, 03:00:38 AM »
Trine - Level... 3?  This game sucks.  The combat is obnoxious (So, my cursor controls the shield but the D-pad controls where I attack?  Ugh.) and there's no reason to not just have the Thief spam level 2 arrows to get rid of the enemies.  Physics puzzles are kind of cool but also INSANELY TEDIOUS and the method for rotating Planks is stupid (I should not have to spend 6 minutes getting a plank rotated just right because some jackass decided that the planks needed momentum when you're rotating them.  Ugh.).  I may not continue playing this game for a while.

Really?  That is a shame.  Control scheme worked really well on the PC...  Aiming wasn't that big a deal and the physics puzzles were pretty intuitive and responsive with a mouse.

Edit - But yes Thief is pretty much how you do combat, but the game is far more about the puzzle elements than the platform elements for where it is best.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 03:02:15 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 14, 2010, 03:16:26 AM »
SRWW - Beat. Cobrayrence was pretty sad, but an improvement over J's hilariously pathetic final. At least, he has 500k HP over both forms.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #224 on: January 14, 2010, 05:24:24 AM »
Playing FFIX, because I'm in the mood for some goddamn nostalgia-based gaming. One, jesus christ ATB was a bad choice for this game and it's long animations that don't stop charge time. And two, I just met a man-lady who is just called "Fuck." It's kind of jarring to see as a character name, but I think it's an improvement over the default.