imageRegister

Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 361305 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #2000 on: May 05, 2010, 02:43:27 PM »
Assassin's Creed 2 - I stab things in the face with knife hands.  Sometimes I stab them in the face with a regular knife.  If I am bored I might just use a sword.  That is all there is to the game really, but if you enjoyed the first game at any points the sequel is worth it because Renaissance Italy is far more interesting for Parkour than ancient Jerusalem.  Also you can stab two dudes in the face at the same time now, so the sequel is like twice as good or something.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: May 05, 2010, 04:28:48 PM »
Mega Man 10: Beat (on easy mode, which still counts, so there). While I didn't get Mr. Perfect, I did win without dying/tanking, and I bustered all the bosses.

Game Room: As of 8:30 AM, I am ranked #6 in the world for Megamania. The fact that the only reason I'm that high is because the game was just released this morning and there may be 200 people in the entire world who have it so far is irrelevant.  ::)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: May 05, 2010, 04:40:55 PM »
One opinion.
Another opinion.

You know what I like about the Fire Emblem games? Anybody can end up decent, and anybody can end up bad, purely because of luck.

At the end of the day all conversation is pointless and all discussion is meaningless *slits wrists*

There's something very wrong with us.  So let's go out tonight.

There's something very wrong with you. So let's stay in tonight.

The questions, the queries, the rhetoric, the theories, it hurts me. :(

Like a double down when stakes are high, my dirty ball will never die. :)
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: May 05, 2010, 05:23:30 PM »
SSF4 - Got my tenpeat trophy today as I won 14 times online before losing 8-). Dudley is the man.

DDS1 - Embarrassingly I never finished DDS2 due to that shithead Meganada so I got this to finish before playing DDS2. Just owned Orochi by rendering all 8 of his turns useless and I'm not going to stop with him as the rest of the superbosses are also going down Besides the DemiFiend, Fuck him.
Just you wait Meganada I'll strangle you with your own tentacle tits you fat bastard.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: May 05, 2010, 10:34:14 PM »
One opinion.
Another opinion.

You know what I like about the Fire Emblem games? Anybody can end up decent, and anybody can end up bad, purely because of luck.

At the end of the day all conversation is pointless and all discussion is meaningless *slits wrists*

There's something very wrong with us.  So let's go out tonight.

You drink champagne and nobody cares about arriving on time.  We know your name and your cross to bear, you'll answer for your crimes and we'll save an extra seat for you on the day you die.

Sit back, relax and take in the view and enjoy your flight.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: May 05, 2010, 11:11:23 PM »
One opinion.
Another opinion.

You drink champagne and nobody cares about arriving on time.  We know your name and your cross to bear, you'll answer for your crimes and we'll save an extra seat for you on the day you die.

You know that my suit costs more than your house. I'm a scoundral, a lover, a murderous mouse.

I look good in your bed. Do ya think I'm looking good? And everybody's happy happy tonight.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: May 05, 2010, 11:25:38 PM »
One opinion.
Another opinion.

You know that my suit costs more than your house. I'm a scoundral, a lover, a murderous mouse.

I look good in your bed. Do ya think I'm looking good? And everybody's happy happy tonight.
This is where we are tonight, everybody under survelliance from a satellite.  You can be the first one on your block to die.

And there's a plague of locusts upon us, and there's a nightmare in the swarm.  And there's a lion out in the desert slouching to Bethlehem to be born again.

Backstreet's back, alright. Alright

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: May 05, 2010, 11:33:36 PM »
* Jo'ou Ranbu writes GrefterXCiato yaoi.

Crack Quest - Wow, the Mana+ items are completely broke. *Web/Petrify.* *Flaming Skulls.* *Wild Magic.* *TEN BILLION 4-OF-A-KINDS.* *Web.* *Lather rinse repeat.*
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: May 06, 2010, 05:29:53 AM »
SC2-  I can basically sum up beta now

1v1-  Game revolves around Roaches and Marauders.  Yes, 2 units are all that matter.  If the enemy gets them, you get the hard counter.  If the enemy doesn't, you don't.  I watched a 107 food army of Zealot/Sentry/Stalker/Templar lose to a 61 food army of roaches/roaches/roaches/roaches.  Why?  Because you HAVE to get Immortal or Void Ray to beat roaches.  Plain and simple.  If the zerg don't go roaches, now you have a fun game, but sadly that doesn't happen.

Marauders are the same.  LOL at Toss Tier 1 being viable the entire game.  Blizzard needs to either make roaches 2 food or nerf them.  A one food unit soloing most 2 food units is silly.  Marauders meanwhile need a nerf too.   For Protoss the Void Ray needs a nerf just to balance the Marauder/Roach nerf.  This game is no supposed to be "I got roaches you get a hard counter or autolose."  Also, a tier 1.5 ground unit should not be better than any tier 2 or 3 ground unit.  Sooo yeah... the games without roaches/marauders are pretty fun.  The games with them are dumb since each unit has ONE counter you have to get.  (I suppose you can get air vs either one, but good luck surviving a timing push.)  And yeah... I was ranked 1 Platinum for a bit, so I'm not a bad player...

2v2- Brother and I went 19-2 and got rank 1 fairly early on.  Granted he's one of the top players in Beta, which helps.  Then I figured out the autowin strat with another ally.  8pool +8rax reaper.  0% of Terran and 0% of Toss can survive this.  So unless you're against dual Zerg it's 2v1.  Teams tried to help each other, turtle, counterattack, etc and nothing matters.  A GOOD Zerg/X team might be able to win, but Terran/Terran, Toss/Terran, Toss/Toss cannot win.  We played some well known players and rolled them.  By the time I got done I had won 20 games in a row with my worst race thanks to an unbeatable harass from a team with decent micro.  Cool.

Long story short, 2v2 is broken as fuck unless this is balanced somehow.  The games are really fun when they go deep... Psy and I had a lot of epic battles vs some good teams.  Sadly, teams like I made with Zerg will always exist and will always win.  SC2 lacks the base defense (Burrows/MoonWell/Ghoul/Call to Arms thingy) to stop this garbage.

Shorthand
1v1- Stop making the game revolve around 2 units and their hard counters
2v2- Find a way to make the proxy + 8 pool unstoppable vs anything, but another proxy + 8 pool.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: May 07, 2010, 02:55:38 AM »
Deus Ex-Beaten.

Funny thing about Walter. His AI really hates it when you go into an enclosed space. As such running into the bunker right next to the main entrance caused him to ping-pong around frantically, trying to come at me but only bouncing off the furniture. Eventually I guess the AI just said 'fuck it' because he wound up just staring at a wall. I like to think he was embarrassed and just decided to ignore JC until he left and he could have a nice cry in the corner. Otherwise Area 51 wasn't a big deal. Plenty of Commandos to Sword, otherwise I had plenty of crossbow ammo so I spammed that. Went for all 3 endings, as usual (Helios Merge is the best one).

Best AI Moment: A MJ12 guard with a GEP Gun. Sees me, turns around, and fires...directly into the wall he was up against, gibbing himself instantly. Hilarious!

So game's really awesome, blah blah, you've heard this a million times. Pacifist run was an interesting way to go through the game, though again Deus Ex happily breaks itself in half for you no matter what you do.

Well, now that I have CoD4 on this PC I suppose I'll give it a whirl.

PS-Leave it to the PC version to make the endings even worse. Whee static heads talking to each other
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 03:00:20 AM by AAA »
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: May 07, 2010, 05:14:07 PM »
Whispered World -

Generally good fun.

It uses effectively the same verb system as Monkey Island 3, which is nice because I am a fan of that style, but unfortunately they don't subtitle what each option is going to entail as you choose it D: There was only one point where I was tripped up by the lack of this information, but still, not the best of all possible ways of going about things here.

There are a noticable number of glitches regarding loading the wrong dialogue and so forth sadly. Nothing gamebreaking. But annoying.

Chapter 1 has a fairly hefty amount of incidental interaction comments. Very nice. As I was afraid of, the amount did drop off somewhat in the later chapters, but there was still sufficient.

I was hoping that the Rock Bros. would pull a Murray and incongruously show up at points later on in the game with other plans but sadly it was not to be. Sadness.

There were a number of characters that vanish from the game... in the end this turns out to not really matter, but at the time it's a bit disconcertening. For example, there are some people in Chapter 2 who are trying to prevent a certain thing from happening, and then it happens anyway and... we don't find out what happens to them.

All up it was pretty good. A number of decent puzzles. A number of overly simple puzzles. Of the whole set of doors in the game which you can close from the other side, I don't believe there is a single one that you don't need to do that to. Were you trying to get people complacent and all 'oh, they won't put something behind the door yet again so I won't bother spending a couple seconds to do it', game? Not going to work.

Hm... the pipes in Chapter 1 are never explained, if I remember correctly. Considering his reaction and the ending, however, it may be that they were an analogy to the cause of the setup.

MMSF2 x Saurian

Beat the main game. The final was initially far too busy on the screen for me to do anything approaching well at it, but I eventually managed to start paying less attention to things I wasn't supposed to be paying attention to and prevailed. Not very nice of them to give him a buffer of invisible health on top of his visible health, but I guess it is Capcom.

Things appear to follow the same general scheme as SF1, with there a powered up version of the final available to fight once I manage to do enough ancillary stuff. If it's anything like the powered version of SF1's final, I'm not going to have a chance in heck, so I'm not even going to bother with that once I get up to it.

Currently I am slowly meandering through beating up the IF version bosses.

Got the BN Blaster aways before finishing the maingame. I don't really see the point of it here. In SF1, you got it really early and it was overpowered for quite some time. At the point in time you get it in SF2, it is far and away not overpowered and really not better than the other options you have available. Especially if you're using a form with a good charge attack. Cannot say that the postBN information that is given out in the process is really all that enthralling either.

Having looked over some postgame information I cannot help but notice that there are things in the game which are limited to people who have hooked up with others with the games in real life. I was fairly sure that SF1 had everything accessible to people with no realworld people to link up with, albiet potentially not as easily. What is your game here, Capcom.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: May 07, 2010, 09:51:46 PM »
HGSS:

Elite 4 goes down. Not sure how much of the aftergame I'm gonna do. Certainly not doing much for team building enjoyment because some of the changes HGSS made is pretty gag inducing (y halo thar voltorb flip asdas;ljasdkjls). I'll probably just end up catching all the bonus pokes like Suicune/Lati/weather trio etc. Game is pretty much as I remembered GSC except the EXP curve is possibly even lower (although I did end up splitting EXPs for a pretty long time). I don't find the game much better than its predecessor though...probably remains at a 6 or a 6.5.

In terms of Gym leaders, it's a little better around this time. As in, there is a certain bit of balance such that its not a completely cruisathon sans Claire. Most notable improvement probably ends up going to Bugsy. That Scyther is now a mean bastard and can probably rip you apart even if his other two pokes are lolmetapod and lolkakuna. Pryce is still pretty lulz and Morty feels weaker than his GSC incarnation. The remaining others haven't changed all that much. Probably something like Claire > Whitney > Jasmine > Bugsy > Morty > Falkner > Chuck > Pryce for me.

The E4 is weird. Some of them are pretty bad, but others are pretty nasty once they get going. Wil and Bruno notably aren't too impressive. Most of Will's pokes are slow, and their dual typing lets you pounce on that even if you don't have a dark type. While Bruno has learnt to deal with flyers, but still dies horribly to a single Psychic poke. Koga gets pretty nasty if you let him pull off any of his combos, but thankfully half his team is weak to FIRE (gogo Choice Scarf Arcanine). Karen's only notable poke is her Houndoom. Nasty plot on that thing = hey kill me in a hit or two because I WILL fuck you up otherwise. The Umbreon is annoying, but Umbreon offense and Gengar is decent otherwise. Lance...I dunno. I got pretty lucky since all 5 shots of Blizzard hit and his lowered levelled ones got one-shotted without problem. Outrage on the level 50 one though is nasty shit. The Aerodactyl is probably his second biggest threat, but getting the ability to set up on Charizard with Feraligatr made it easy to handle.

Pokes used/Final team:

Feraligatr: Used this instead of Typhlosion because a) Water and b) Different pace from using Cyndaquil typically in GSC. Mmm...I think Gate sums it up pretty well. The Gen 4 Physical/Special change, Gator is the one who ends up benefitting significantly. Running Ice Fang/Crunch/Agility/Waterfall made it plenty scary and got plenty of coverage across the board. It also learns its moves in good pacing for upgrades so it never has really any notable amount of lag. Probably MVP overall of the team.

Ampharos: Yeah, I used this thing in GSC. In HGSS, I think the only really notable thing I can think of is that it picks up Discharge on its own. So you don't have to waste coins/TMs on it to give it a stronger Electric move rather than Thundershock. Otherwise, its pretty adequate for the main game. A little slow, but very meaty SpA means it deals plenty of damage even on things that are neutral. TWave rounds out the package for slowing down big threats. Pretty solid overall

Crobat: Wasn't part of the final E4 team due to it being underlevelled, but you know what to expect by now. Horrible horrible failure while as Zubat until it learns Bite. Then it starts getting better with Wing Attack and eventually evolving. The big thing with Zubat though is that if you've been using it regularly, it only takes like 1 or 2 more levels after it becomes Golbat to evolve again. And THAT is a huge power surge, especially since that happens around midgame. Very good when is around though and wins primarily through chippage means.

Arcanine: Ew. I wanted a Fire poke and I always told myself I should give this thing a try since I typically just run Typhlosion. Well okay, so what does it have? It learns pretty decent moves so it gets a solid variety and it stat bases aren't horrible. Flip side, it takes too long to learn the good stuff, stops learning moves after evo, so you can't fast evolve it and even after evolution it isn't performing much better than anyone else since most of them have reached Tier 3 by then too. In short, it's not a good investment - Vulpix > it in-game anyway.

Clefable: Heh. I picked this up in the Safari zone and then just EXP shared it to hell and back, learnt Meteor Mash and then evolved it. In retrospect I probably didn't need to since the end moveset didn't really justify Meteor Mash. Has its usual good points of being a good shoe in since it can learn many different TM abilities. In my case, it got Blizzard, which made it a decent switch option against Lance's Dragonites which either pack Thunder or Blizzard or something pretty nasty. It's relatively tanky too, which allowed it to survive a Dragonite Outrage (with like 5 HP left albeit), and eventually come back with Cosmic Power + Blizzarding those things to death. Very small time period of performance, but pretty good when it was there.

Espeon: STAB Return with Adaptability = Around a 200 powered move when Return is at full power. Jesus christ, that was nuts. Running around with a portable SelfDestruct and knocking things out in one go without trouble was pretty lulz. I did eventually evolve it after learning Baton Pass - and then found out that there wasn't much it could pass and the after game is more raeg then the other Pokemon version >.>. As Espeon, it performs solidly. I could've used a stronger move than Psybeam, but that was enough to hold down plenty of threats for a while. Only the E4 pokes were able to take two on a SE, and they would've died if I had Choice Spec'd it. Probably third most valuable member after Amphy

Butterfree: Eventually got dropped, but is surprisingly solid. Compound Eyes really does help it since it can status things with good accuacy and then proceed to win via chipping. The low stat bases make it pretty hard to keep on using it though.

Pidgeotto: Also got dropped, except earlier. It's notably worse in later gens sice Crobat is worth fielding often which means, you would want to get Zubat to level up and as a result, Pidgeotto gets less levels. It also takes a while for it to reach stage 3, so I can't imagine it being that overly impressive anyway.

Ho-oh: I used it against only 1 pokemon, and that was Karen's Umbreon so it can't pull off its annoying shinaningans. All I can really say is STAB Brave Bird. Ow. With no EVs and default level, that's still strong enough to high 2HKO Umbreon o_o.

<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: May 08, 2010, 02:37:56 PM »
Trips's Deus Ex posts have given me a powerful urge to play the Thief games again. I must get ahold of a copy of the first one. And maybe actually finish the third, although I'm not sure it would be worth it.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: May 08, 2010, 02:46:49 PM »
Can you buy Thief 1 on steam?

LFT: See the LFT thread, doing a no direct damage run. Up through Zirekile falls.

FE10- Just got Zihark and Jill. Benching Edward/Aran/Leo. Leo/Aran are getting RNG fucked like crazy on STR, Edward is just blah overall.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: May 08, 2010, 03:33:45 PM »
Are you sure Leo is actually being RNG screwed? <.< (He has some definite payoff in part 3, but his raw stats on average are, well, um. He has res!)

Phoenix Wright - Started 1-4. I <3 1-3 a lot, but we already knew that.
Fire Emblem 9 - Replaying again, HM as always, up to Chapter 7. Have a party of people I've not used much before roughly planned out, centred around using all the beast laguz.

Wizard of Oz - Fun game so far. Sure, it doesn't have plot or characters, but nor does it pretend to, and the way of telling what minimal story it does have is cute enough. I really appreciate it for what it is - the point of an RPG is its gameplay, and it focusses entirely on that, kinda like Mega Man X Command Miission. No fetchquest bullshit or inane party chatter (not that some games don't have good party chatter, but they're hardly common to me) or item synthesis or etc. etc. Just lets me focus on the battle system, which has a unique gimmick (the ratio system) that makes it rather fun. I'd already heard about this system going into things, but I hadn't realised it applied to the enemies too, which affects battle strategy significantly. Also didn't realise you could use it to affect which PCs are targetted, which also makes for interesting decisions. Mmm mm. It's arguably a shame the system is so simple otherwise (hey look it's Dragon Quest) but oh well. It's hardly going to be a great game but it seems to succeed at what it sets out to do well enough. Currently in Flora's castle.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: May 08, 2010, 03:47:13 PM »
Yes. STR screwed in particular, he has trouble breaking average enemy defense. 
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: May 08, 2010, 04:13:52 PM »
Only Thief 3 on Steam.  You can buy Thief 1 and 2 both in those el cheapo $10 game things though.

Assassin's Creed 2 - Finished.  Did all of the everything to do.  So all done, no reason to play it again.  It is what it is.  Better than the first one, neat to see some stuff taken from the original expanded and done much better (Like the last section before the final boss is actually stealth oriented instead of KILL FUCKING EVERYONE EVERYWHERE), the last 2 chapters were total padding though, WHOOPS YOU LOST THE MACGUFFIN, GO GET IT AGAIN, LOOK THERE IS MACHIAVELLI. Those might have been DLC originally though?  I don't know and I don't really care, I got to stab people.  Neat gimmick for the final boss where you have the Macguffin from the first game, so you get to pull the final boss' trick from the original game on the boss of this one.  Then after the boss goes NOOOOO I WILL USE MY PLOT POWERS TO INCAPACITATE YOU EVEN THOUGH THEY DIDN'T WORK IN THE LAST CUTSCENE he stabs you in the stomach, this seems to do nothing as you get back up and chase after him and go "Okay dude, no more weapons or ancient artifacts lets you and me fisticuffs now" and he is all "kay" for some reason, so you punch him a lot and then it goes to the requisite Assassin's Creed dialogue side reality thing and you tell him you are through killing people, so you won't kill him and then he dies.

So yeah the last few sequences don't make a great deal of sense but they are all quite dramatic.  Then there is some stuff, future plot nonsense.  I was all excited at the prospect of doing the Assassin stuff in the future after the first game, now with a bit more plot, not so much.  I am sure I will play the sequel in a few years time when it comes out anyway, but shit why not.  They are a kind of game that I enjoy once every few years so they can get my money.

It takes itself WAYYY to seriously though.  There is so many lines that feel like they are lifted straight from Illuminatus! (because they are Discordian statements pretty much), but without a hint of irony or humor to it.  Considering Illuminatus! predates it by 20 (30?) years that is pretty fucking funny.  Seriously though, the entire plot is all about Golden Apples, ancient conspiracies and people talk about how nothing is true and everything is permitted.  It makes me laugh.

So.  Assassin's Creed 2 reccomendation is, if you enjoyed the first one then you will probably like this.  If you have no idea, then pick up the first one, this one is better, but the first one is dirt cheap now.  If you want to follow the plot you will NEED to have played the first one (the plot is not good enough to warrant following, but it is kind of there, so I have to).  There is lots of plot stuff hinted at and hidden away from you in obscure historical reference talked about in morse code or just straight up substitution code, but fuck that.  The game certainly isn't worth THAT much effort to decipher a plot point that they will beat me over the head with in the next game and I could see coming in the first game.

Edit - Oh yeah I didn't note this last time I posted about it.  The change in venue from the middle east to Italy does wonders for keeping the interest in a longer game.  I pretty much bought it for stabbing and for jumping around Venice.  Jumping around Venice was totally worth it and I got Florence as a bonus.  Some other shitty places to do as well (Tuscanny was depressingly generic), but hey, still fin.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 04:17:30 PM by Grefter »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: May 08, 2010, 04:30:02 PM »
It's arguably a shame the system is so simple otherwise (hey look it's Dragon Quest) but oh well. It's hardly going to be a great game but it seems to succeed at what it sets out to do well enough. Currently in Flora's castle.

That's basically Oz in a nutshell. Once I started thinking about the system, I realized it could go a lot further than it did, but all the choices the game made were quite conscious. It also helps the game is so short, which also side-steps one of DQ's biggest problems on averag e- honestly, I think the idea they had with the game was "hey let's make a classic DQ-style game for people who want to get acquainted with RPGs, only without the mass DQ bullshit and complete lack of polish". Also, how's the movement scheme going for you?

EDIT: The game HAS one stupid part, which lies in its minimal aftergame (fourth Father Dragon forms, which have MT overkill to Tin Man-level durability at endgame levels), in fairness. But it's completely ignorable and only there for the grindans of the universe.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 04:33:43 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: May 08, 2010, 05:01:18 PM »
Wouldn't be the first game I liked well enough that I decided to give the aftergame the finger to.

And yes, it seems to sidestep DQ's two biggest problems, those being "our battle system is the same recycled unimpressive effort from two decades ago" and "we fail at pacing forever, here have a few dozen fetchquests".

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: May 08, 2010, 11:42:32 PM »
SSF4 - My conection cut out once which cost me 200 points which is anger inducing but besides that a had a meh day. Highlight of the day was Corkscrew Crossing someone who thought it a good idea to try and Raging Demon Dudley. Demon got pwned by british boxing skills 8-)

Currently ranked 12th as Dudley in the Uk, 66th in Europe.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: May 09, 2010, 12:05:17 AM »
SMT SJ: Just finished the stuff with the Lightning and am going back to the 6th sector to finish it up. The story is excellent, but the gameplay is less dynamic than some of the other games in the series. However, most of the SMT series bullshit seems to be absent from the game. The damage seems to be lower than most of the games in the series and to compensate the healing skills are weaker, but Diarahan and Mediarahan are still full heals so now that I've got a few demons with them very few enemies have threatening damage.  The last boss had almost almost scary damage, but gun resistance would have shut it down completely.

Demons are less interesting than in the other games because they usually only have a few abilities, but the demon source system is pretty interesting and makes it easy to get abilities which negate a demons weakness. It also encourages using a wide array of demons to get their sources which is also cool. The sub app system is a bit of a letdown though. It would be better if they just did away with rings and used the sub app system to give the main character support abilities and have him gain points as he levels. Overall the game is worth playing for the story alone, but don't expect too much from the gameplay.

Taishyr

« Reply #2021 on: May 09, 2010, 12:17:08 AM »
SMTSJ: Actually at the exact same damn spot dude789's in!

And... mmm. I'm kinda in disagreement with you. Not on the damage thing (they fubar'd Mediarama/Diarama -bad- and so screwed up and had to give you Diarahan/Mediarahan relatively early, which yeah does skew midgame difficulty outside of the section 4/5 bosses who don't rely on their damage so much), but the demon/demon fusion/demon source/gameplay.

I'm actually pretty well enjoying the gameplay, in part due to the limited options - one demon rarely can cover everything in the universe, which is nice - and will definitely agree that the demon source system encouraging swapping demons is a plus, at least to me. This being said, I'm not fond of use it and lose it pretty much permanently; having the reclamation of used sources be easier would have been very much appreciated. Demon fusion as a result's a lot more tactical, and the fact that that gives fixed results is both somewhat saddening and useful.

Subapp system... mmm, I can see your complaint, but it forces you to consider what you actually want - a chance to give your demons better stuff on levels, trap floor negation, better demon negotiation... Iunno. I feel it's actually a pretty neat concept that worked out, if not perfectly, at least decently well.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: May 09, 2010, 12:47:17 AM »
I don't think that the gameplay's bad just that it's not as good as the press turn system or P3 and 4's systems. As for demons being more one dimensional, it has advantages and disadvantages. It does encourage different party set ups. I've used a bunch of different types of teams including one that was very heal heavy and one that could hit a bunch of elements but lacked a lot of healing and they were all pretty close in effectiveness. The disadvantage is that enemies are pretty easy to shut down and it inflates demons who can get a lot of resistances because enemy demons can only hit one or two elements.

As for the sub-app system, I think they really needed to scale up the points for it to work better and some of the abilities needed a big price drop. 10 points is just two restrictive when some of the more expensive apps cost 7 or more points. Generally, I only use three apps (relax spray, the one that gives you extra items after battle, and the one that lowers the rate of surprises) aside from the ones that alter fusion results and I don't really see myself changing them that often.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: May 09, 2010, 01:36:47 AM »
I don't think that the gameplay's bad just that it's not as good as the press turn system or P3 and 4's systems.

Doesn't look too good for SMT:SJ gameplay if it loses out in comparison to press turns - which are honestly a poor design idea that creates a bad balance limitation.

Also, in general, besides the short stint where all you have is Dia/Media, SMT games tend to have healing close enough to full and plentiful enough sources to get it from that slugfesting is generally a complete failure against you unless enemies have OHKO-level offense. It does happen in SMT, of course, and SMT has never been shy about using non-damage related hax, but healing having screwed-up balance has been a part of SMT for god knows how long.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 01:41:59 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: May 09, 2010, 01:47:52 AM »
Ehhhh I am not one to defend SMT gameplay at the best of times, but I wouldn't necessarilly call Press Turns poor design, it does what they want it to and it gives them lots of options (It is a good way to enable enemies to triple act), getting press turns on crits that still do 2x damage is overly punishing as is losing a turn because you missed, but the basic concept of getting extra turns for doing the right thing tm is an interesting gameplay twist on a more standard TB combat system.  I mean I certainly would have been completely bored out of my skull if DDS had done a Dragon Quest on us and kept using the exact same TB system it has been using since the early 90s with the original SMT.  It isn't a huge change, but it is different enough to keep it fresh (and of course being SMT the presentation of the system is incredibly modern where DQ is still trying to be 8-bit menu systems.