Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 361762 times)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #2050 on: May 09, 2010, 10:07:56 PM »
MK2- Haha. This game is so unbalanced. Just got Enna. Kinda.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: May 10, 2010, 04:45:49 AM »
Gate and Tai play Trickster

Chapter 1: Musical Bunnygirl Gate and Suicide Driller Foxtoro in the case of The Extremely Stubborn Octopi.

Fairly generic, if entertaining MMO. May have only been entertaining because I was playing with Tai, but. Made a bunny for my char(Gate punches things. Shock.) and when Tai heard he decided to make a fox to play along with. 4 power/4 charm for my build, spread my bonus points around for the first 10 levels but focused 3 into AP and 1 into Weight ever since I actually read up on build ideas for a bunny. Did a whole bunch of quests, got up to level 28, cheated a bit with Tai snagging stuff from his higher leveled Dragon to help, but whatever.

Most memorable quests were the ones dealing with Hula Octopi. They have like 5 different drops, and absolutely REFUSED to drop any of whichever one we were trying to get for me. Tai had much less trouble of course. The thing to note is that this happened twice. First we were trying to get 15 flower necklaces each, and Tai ended up having to give me 9 since he got 24 faster then I could get 10. And not becuase he killed things faster, oh no. I was killing these bastards left and right, and they would drop anything and everything BUT flower necklaces.

THen later we discovered that we needed Octopus Legs as well. So back we went. And it very nearly happened again. This time, they dropped flower necklaces left and right! The first three drops in a row I got were necklaces, in fact. And the legs became the rare drop...for me.

I did end up getting 3 Hula Octopus cards during all this, which I'm told is a good thing.

Oh, and to explain the "title" up there, my bunny is named CarbonLeaf after the band, while Tai's fox is RopesIntoMines.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: May 10, 2010, 10:04:59 AM »
FF 13- Up to the middle of the Airship dungeon. Game plots along nicely, although sometimes when it tries to do serious plot it comes out as an overmelodic joke. So far it's done decent at avoiding stagnation in it's battle system, although it would have done really well for chapters 4-6 to be 20-25% shorter.  Lightning smashes worlds.

ToV- Just beat the tower. Barbatos would have been an awesome fight if he kept his aqua-powered chain saw (I mean...the fight was decent enough anyways! But would have been fun to see him lugging that around). But solid boss fights are something the game has done very well except for the hell wolf of course! Fun game, although very Tales. I was very, very, very happy to see the general scene after the Tower (And generally, seeing RPG heroes act like grownups capable of making tough decisions is great. Even if the decision was only made because of stupid non-sensical law systems!). Generally thinking that party now is going to be Yuri/Judy/Estelle/Rita. Seems like in terms of other fighter PCs that aren't Yuri, Repede has the speed, Judy has the combos, Karol has some smashing and gets some durability stuff earlier and light healing, and Raven has versatility (magic, range, status)? That covers it well?

Banter attempts sometime come off as really odd and stilted. Some of Estelle-Yuri's end battle interactions just have ceased after being thrown out once. She's naive, not an imbecile!

Oh yeah, battle system feels like it has too many damn buttons. Fatal Strikes are very unforgiving time wise. Does this alter at all? (As if my wall of text and likely horrid grammar will even let people get to this question!)

Also mentioned this in chat, but yeeee gods that is a horrible fail on the singer's part on the intro song. Well, the translation is pretty bad too. Just really stands out because the voice acting is great, but the intro song was translated via Babelfish and the singer clearly couldn't speak any English.

Finally, no scene skip? Am I missing the method? There are games that still don't have this?

LO- So reminiscent of LoD in a lot of ways. From weird battle specific things like timed hits (Although...I hate LO's system. Why make a timed hit system where you have to hold a button down and then release it? Why not just hit the button at the right time. And then have it in a turn based system where you won't know exactly when the person is acting. Yeah, stupid planning/obvious flaw), the overall clunkiness, and the fact that it's the system makers attempts to make an expensive high-powered RPG (Okay, maybe that alone makes the other comparisons feel so much larger).

Up to the mountains. Something about the game makes it feel very directionless (Well, the city part felt like I had to run around too much. Mountain part...I seemed to have hit a notable dead end). Maps in the game suck badly.  Town maps that don't auto note things like shops and inn when the game's graphics don't make it fully evident? I uh...well, that's actually really weird.

I really, really like the music so far. I also like that the game was able to mention sex, even if it a throwaway! Just because making games where adults can be adult in some manner=great.
...into the nightfall.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: May 10, 2010, 10:33:57 AM »
when it tries to do serious plot it comes out as an overmelodic joke.

FF13s harmonies during plot sequences suck big ones.  Barber Shop is not a unique storytelling style no matter how much you want to pretend it is.  Seriously, this game can't do anything right.

ToV stuff, generally right.  I think there might be scene skip for specific sequences?  Probably just the animu ones.  Fatal Strikes are more forgiving than they seem, to do them you need to not be tied up in a move, so it is very easy to pull off either off an ally's attack, but with attacks that have a longer animation for the attack than the character they are relatively easy as well.  The timing off of Destruction Field is pretty tight though (especially a long range one), which that early in the game was certainly where I was seeing the majority of my Finishing Strikes pop up.

The opening song is very meh and should be skipped to quickly get to the menu where the music will turn off because you have muted the music because ToV is far more advanced than that Square shit and lets me make it shut the fuck up like a civilised game so that I can put on something made by someone with talent (Joking about how bad either OST is, but I would much rather listen to my CD collection than someone elses).

Edit - Not joking about how bad the opening song is.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: May 10, 2010, 03:30:20 PM »
FE10- Just finished 1-7, the one Tormod joins on. I am trying to beat the fail out of Fiona and get her to decent- BEXPed her to level 15, and used a master seal on her. Ended up benching meg- she had gained one point of defense in six levels and no strength on top of bad skill, making her a painful liability in spite of good speed. Frustrating.

Main team is Michiah/Nolan/Zihark/Volug/Sothe/Ilyana/Jill, with me trying to beat the fail out of Fiona. Laura I used a master seal on and gave her paragon, so she has a nice level lead. She has 19 motherfucking HP which... *checks* Means she's gained a whole one HP on levels! Sigh.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 04:02:40 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: May 10, 2010, 04:51:14 PM »
Snow finally has a SHC yay *^_^*

FFXIII- Defeated a Long Gui and mastered the SEN role for two more achievements to bring my total up to 26/35. I've come this far, I might as well go for them all >.> Now that I've finished doing silly things like defeating Attacus and Long Gui (Vanille 1660~ MAG, Lighning and Sazh both with STR below 1000, didn't quite manage to defeat Gui within one stagger though and had to use an Elixir to reuse Vanille's summon) using extremely low stats I think it's time to start uberising characters for the Master's Seal ^_^

I thought that Chapters 4-6 were fine (probably because I like Vanille/Sazh >.>) but that Chapter 7 was overtly long >.> Even though I like Snow ^_^ Chapters 9/10 are fairly lengthy as well but at least things start picking up there with party choice and set ups (YMMV)~
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 05:18:37 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2056 on: May 10, 2010, 04:53:30 PM »
I'm sure the song wasn't translated at all and that's the actual problem.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: May 10, 2010, 08:31:22 PM »
The translation is horrid, but that doesn't change the fact that the singer can't speak English.

And when I say that chapters in FF 13 should be shorter, I don't mean plotwise. I mean battlewise, because the plot structuring in all the chapters and 4-6 really blurs together to much, so it just feels like a large mess smashed together. Granted, 1 and 2 also need to be shorter because the gameplay is lackluster at that point! Granted, 1's plot structuring has soooooo many issues otherwise. Throwing someone into action straight-off is cool, but not when it necessitates a first time game player to read that much backstory on their own to get any basis on what the hell is going on.
...into the nightfall.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: May 10, 2010, 11:12:21 PM »
Oh yeah, battle system feels like it has too many damn buttons. Fatal Strikes are very unforgiving time wise. Does this alter at all? (As if my wall of text and likely horrid grammar will even let people get to this question!)

FS timing is easy, you just have to realize that the ARROW has to appear. Not the colored circle, but the actual arrow. Don't just jam the button the second you see a color flash and you'll be good.

Finally, no scene skip? Am I missing the method? There are games that still don't have this?
PS3 version had this... along with a whole host of other stuff. 360 version was practically the Beta.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: May 11, 2010, 12:09:48 AM »
PS3 version had this... along with a whole host of other stuff. 360 version was practically the Beta

More like the PS3 version was your typical "international" bullshit that adds in a bunch of content to make the new release seem more appealing.  ToV 360 is complete enough as is, don't go trying to claim it has a bajillion polish flaws that the PS3 version worked out, cause it clearly does not.  Its merely the usual "Extra Goodies!" stuff, with a few extra minor tweaks.  If you want a game that's "practically a beta", go look at SaGa Frontier.

(IOWs, yes, we get it, you're annoyed we didn't get ToV PS3, just suck it up and move on; this isn't the first time we've been screwed over from a superior version of a game...and I doubt it will be the last.)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2060 on: May 11, 2010, 01:13:41 AM »
Man, I love that ToV opening song. I love it even more knowing that Grefter hates it.

Suikoden Tierkreis: 54/108 Starbearers. I'm just going to assume that means that I'm at the halfway point in the story too.

Story is starting to become obvious what direction a lot of the twists are going to go... and they seem like they'll be good twists as long as the characters continue to be just as perceptive as any player would be from all the information they have.

I'm particularly starting to like the main (though his voice is still grating). It was actually pretty cool when he sees through the Mage Lord's attempt at manipulation before it became entirely obvious what the guy was up to (it was obvious he was trying to manipulate the Main and Chrodechild's companies, but the exact nature of it wasn't obvious until the Main was already fixing it).

I'm still a little sad that they couldn't have tied this story a little more to the original games (especially considering the multiple-worlds setting, they could have at least given us Viki as some background color).

...However, the addition of a talking Main character is such a great improvement, that I would definitely buy a Suikoden Tierkreis 2.

Gameplaywise, I just recruited some witch who creates illusionary optional bosses that I can refight at my leisure from my homebase. In addition to finally having a good source for levelling up all my PCs (I won't, but I can catch up the ones I wanted to try out), they're also the first bit of challenge the game has thrown at me and it actually made me think about party-building and some fighting strategies.

Kind of curious why other Suikoden games didn't have someone like her...

Recruitment is almost complete FAQ-bait, but a bit more fun than anything else the gameplay has to offer. There are a LOT of playable PCs in this, holy crap. I have 54 PCs and like 6 of them are Support PCs. The other 48 are all 100% playable. Previous Suikodens were more like 60-40% distribution between 'I fight' and 'I'm a Castle decoration'. This really borders on too much, I wanna say. Currently using the hot female Pirate chick and... hell I forget, the hot female Pirate chick is just -really- distractingly beautiful.
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/6/69742/1199889-felecca_large.jpg

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: May 11, 2010, 01:50:20 AM »
Call of Duty 4-I picked up the PC version when it was half off on Steam, so...

Great game. Very polished, very fun, lots of well made setpieces and action. Even the obligatory stealth section was fun! Story was alright, I guess. Infinity Ward had major balls, what with the nuke level. My only real complaint is that it was very short (~10 hours or so). Tried going through again on Veteran but I don't think I'm going to keep trying, it's irritating having to run through everything over and over again and hoping this time I don't randomly die from like one bullet from a terrorist halfway across the level. Tried the multiplayer for a few rounds and it's...interesting, though the fact you have to level up to get better weapons irritates me. Guess I'll troll through my Steam Games list and see if there's anything I haven't played yet that I want to.

Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2062 on: May 11, 2010, 02:03:12 AM »
ToV 360 is complete enough as is, don't go trying to claim it has a bajillion polish flaws that the PS3 version worked out, cause it clearly does not. 

Not having scene skip in this day and age is a pretty glaring omission, on the other hand.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2063 on: May 11, 2010, 03:10:27 AM »
The translation is horrid, but that doesn't change the fact that the singer can't speak English./

Well, what I meant was "I'm sure the song is completely unaltered from the Japanese version of the game".  So of COURSE the singer can't speak English >.>

Why the Japanese like their engrish singers I dunno.  It's not like they don't have access to some native speakers that can sing competently.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: May 11, 2010, 03:14:26 AM »
Except...the song has a Japanese version and I've actually seen the video with the japanese cut?

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2065 on: May 11, 2010, 03:17:14 AM »
Interesting.  I wonder if they didn't get the original singer then, it has all the hallmarks of a non-native singer.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2066 on: May 11, 2010, 03:20:07 AM »
The singer is Bonnie Pink, the album was released before the game came out in Japan with both versions of the song.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: May 11, 2010, 03:24:08 AM »
The singer is Bonnie Pink, the album was released before the game came out in Japan with both versions of the song.

Now with a fake name in a language she can't speak!
...into the nightfall.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: May 11, 2010, 03:29:24 AM »
"Blue jeans on fire
Chevrolet Elvis
Blue jeans on fire
New York!"

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: May 11, 2010, 03:34:01 AM »
ToV 360 is complete enough as is, don't go trying to claim it has a bajillion polish flaws that the PS3 version worked out, cause it clearly does not.

Not having scene skip in this day and age is a pretty glaring omission, on the other hand.

I don't second Rob too often, but damned if I'm not doing it vigourously now.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: May 11, 2010, 03:42:22 AM »
Even Bioware RPGs where cutscenes are kinda part of the gameplay let you sceneskip (well, it lets you mash X/Xvariant through them).  An RPG where the cutscenes are movies?  Sceneskip can definitely break a game.  Hell, I may well have replayed FFX if I could cut through all the bullshit and get at that CTB system.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 04:02:54 AM by Makkotah »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: May 11, 2010, 03:46:59 AM »
While I generally agree that lack of Sceneskip is stupid (though, ToV is not the only one at fault here, but that doesn't justify it either), I was mostly just going "stop bitching about the other things."  Lack of scene skip? Ok, fair, but I don't see how that makes it "practically a beta."

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2072 on: May 11, 2010, 04:43:20 AM »

Better or worse than something like Ke$ha?

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: May 11, 2010, 05:06:38 AM »

Better or worse than something like Ke$ha?

At least she opens herself up for scorn like "Kedollarsignha."

Bobbin Cranbud

• Denizen
    • View Profile
    • The Writing of Joshua Cole
« Reply #2074 on: May 11, 2010, 07:00:14 AM »
Final Fantasy 13
I've been playing this very intermittently since launch, wrapping up Pulse now.  I like almost everything about it, with three glaring exceptions: the series-worst-by-far music, the ridiculous faq-bait weapon leveling, and the pacing.
Oh, Principle, the pacing.
Part of the problem is probably coming to it straight from Wild ARMs 5, which nailed pacing almost the entire way through, but it's still onerous even compared to an average game.  Battles take too long, there are too many battles, dungeons are too long, dungeons are too repetitive, gameplay concepts take too long to show up, gameplay concepts aren't numerous or unintuitive enough to justify the time it takes to introduce them.
Cut every significant gameplay sequence by half, halve XP requirements in the crystarium, halve item costs, and even though the game would be significantly shorter I'd feel like I got more of my money's worth from it.

Sakura Wars: So Long My Love
Haven't done much with this due to FF13/lack of time.  And yet, I've encountered more anime cliches distilled in the first chapter than in all the anime I've ever watched combined.  I don't think it's intended to be exaggerated to the point of parody, but quite frankly it comes across that way.  Amusing, nonetheless.
Read my webnovel, Eye Opener, now available on RoyalRoad.