Register

Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 361767 times)

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #2075 on: May 11, 2010, 08:55:04 AM »
I like the CP requirements for the Crystarium. Granted, they could get a lot worse, but I basically max at everything by the end of the chapter and have to choose well during it. If anything, I wouldn't mind if they were slightly increased at my point in the game (or...just make 10-20% fewer randoms would work too!)

LO- ARGHHHHHHHH WORM BOSS. This took me forever to beat. Seriously, just the absurdity of this being the second boss in the game with horrible healing. Eventually won with only my main living and throwing items (Which...well, it appears that the speed of magic items is far better than spells, which is pretty questionable design decision unless the attack items are worse damage).
...into the nightfall.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: May 11, 2010, 09:39:11 AM »
FF13 battles were pretty short for me...  I'd finish most random battles within like a minute, which is pretty damn good for RPGs.  Also you can uh evade battles if you don't want to fight all of them.  The game even gives you extra tools to do so.

Also, if you didn't expect lots of anime cliches when you got Sakura Wars I don't know what to say.

---

NIER - Done with other half of the quests and finally getting along in plot.  Bosses are still pretty fun.  Previous one started out with a bullet hell form, and then started shooting lasers which was kind of a pain in the ass.  Also spinning.  Lots of spinning.

Also one of the plot arcs has you basically playing mini visual novels.  Only one is required but doing the two optional ones gets you a new sword (which isn't very good anyway).  They were entertaining to read/play though, so no big deal.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: May 11, 2010, 10:59:54 AM »
Dhyer, what is this LO game? I can't think of anything with those initials.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: May 11, 2010, 01:51:10 PM »
Dhyer, what is this LO game? I can't think of anything with those initials.

Presumably Lost Odyssey.

Anyway...

Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes - This game is obviously designed for a younger audience than myself, since even on the hardest setting it's been a cakewalk from the start. The game has focused too much on the characters I don't like (Ahsoka, Anakin) and not enough on the characters I do (Obi-Wan, the clones). It's at least an adequate time waster.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: May 11, 2010, 03:51:48 PM »
SSF4 - Yesterday I decided to make 30 endless lobbies to get the trophy regarding doing as such. I did not get it yesterday due to my policy of taking on all comers till I lost but I'm not complaining. It seems I hit quite a groove because I smashed 26 people (in a row :)) and caused two people to rage quit the game.

I've recently added the move thunderbolt to my game because while somewhat crappy people just don't expect you to use it. I actually knocked out someone who was running away spamming Hadukens with it as they didn't expect Dudley to randomly fly into the air and kick their arse.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: May 11, 2010, 07:06:54 PM »
LFT: Right before Goug. Put this on pause of late to play more...

FE10- Just finished 1-9. No idea who my kill leader is- probably Zihark? Maybe Volug, I should check.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: May 11, 2010, 08:05:58 PM »
FF13 battles were pretty short for me...  I'd finish most random battles within like a minute, which is pretty damn good for RPGs.  Also you can uh evade battles if you don't want to fight all of them.  The game even gives you extra tools to do so.

The flaw being that my insanity dictates on basically all RPGs with this type of encounter system that the most accurate levels are obtained by fighting every enemy group once (and ideally once only!).
...into the nightfall.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: May 11, 2010, 08:17:28 PM »
Have fun once you get to Pulse then, cause distinguishing a group that respawned with one that happened to run over to your general area can get tricky!

That said, yeah, FF13 battles for me were also generally short.  There were a few lengthy ones, but only some of the real monstrous durable ones, which are a minority of randoms.  I honestly thought that overall, FF13 handled random encounters pretty well (not only skippable, but they were fast paced, and generally didn't fail it up completely so it wasn't like a yawn fest either)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: May 11, 2010, 08:46:11 PM »
NIER - Finished the first "half" of the game.  Boss fight music for the last boss of the first half kicks all kinds of ass.

Now I can use spears and two-handed swords!  The ones they gave me are both weaker than the one-handed sword I have though.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: May 11, 2010, 09:00:02 PM »
Have fun once you get to Pulse then, cause distinguishing a group that respawned with one that happened to run over to your general area can get tricky!

That said, yeah, FF13 battles for me were also generally short.  There were a few lengthy ones, but only some of the real monstrous durable ones, which are a minority of randoms.  I honestly thought that overall, FF13 handled random encounters pretty well (not only skippable, but they were fast paced, and generally didn't fail it up completely so it wasn't like a yawn fest either)

Fights on the airship can actually be quite long regularly. After that I think you can really speed things along though.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2085 on: May 12, 2010, 12:14:45 AM »

The flaw being that my insanity dictates on basically all RPGs with this type of encounter system that the most accurate levels are obtained by fighting every enemy group once (and ideally once only!).

Well, there IS that hard-cap.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2086 on: May 12, 2010, 12:17:57 AM »

That's how I'm doing my SaGa Frontier stat topic!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: May 12, 2010, 12:26:44 AM »
Phoenix Wright - Replay finished, which means 1-1 to 1-4 because hey, that gets you to the ending credits. 1-4 was a lot more enjoyable this time around, as I knew it would be; Manfred is too much fun. 1-3 is still my favourite, though. Looking forward to the JFA replay a lot.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: May 12, 2010, 05:11:20 PM »
FE10- Finished up part one. 1-3 was the hardest map in the set.  1-E I had a fair few resets, but usually it just involved how to figure out how to survive a given round of offense. I only used one of the uber PC's, and him only to kill two units who had appeared as reinforcements.

General game thoughts. Some FE9 stuff mixed in here.

The good- Saving in battle. Anything that gives you more precise control of a fight is good. I don't mind what was done with BEXP- I may prefer FE9's system, but either way it is a way to get EXP for your underleveled units without having to feed them kills. FE9 in general improved things across the board (Weapon weight, supports, etc) and FE10 kept a lot of those improvements. It rebalanced units. Mages are no longer complete jokes on the enemy or PC end. The story is a logical progression of what happened in FE9. Izuka stands out for being a scumbag (But a loyal one), and just the general effort shown to show how horrible it is to be occupied by another country. Also, that one general who wasin charge of Bergeion's forces in FE9 vanished into thin air- that raises red flags. Something has to be up there.

The bad: FE10 uses the wrong type of challenge at points. You are heavily restricted with what you can do. The enemies are better, which is nice! You however start the game both short on warm bodies and short on quality characters. Nolan is okay, but no one else in the DB can take a hit until Sothe and Aran join. I found the opening three maps to be exercises in frustration for that reason. Laura I don't even want to talk about, her ineptness at taking hits is so bad that it severly limits her use as a healer. A single bow user or a ranged weapon overkills her by some gross amount and this doesn't change until you promote her. The DB chapters turn into using a few good units (Jill, Zihark, Voluk) and hoping your underleveled characters hit good levels up, because the game can and will slaughter them without breaking a sweat.  It gets much better after 1-5, when BEXP lets you catch up whichever project unit you want to use, but blah.

Also, Paragon for godlike. Laura gained something stupid like 15 levels in three maps thanks to it. She probably has the biggest turnaround that isn't Nino in any FE game that I've ever seen.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: May 12, 2010, 05:38:23 PM »
Pokemon: Heart Gold- I started this this morning. I picked the boy trainer, and I chose Chikorita as my starter. I'm in the second town, just got the running shoes. Hooray for not having to hold down the button!

FE10- Just finished Part 1. After Aran got doubled and killed by a Longbowmen on 1-E, I decided Aran was just going to have to stay dead. I can't imagine someone with 11 speed being terribly useful in Part 3 anyway. Leo is also dead due to PEGGIE SWARM on 1-6. Current party is Ed/Meg/Volug/Jill/Nolan/Sothe/Micaiah/Laura there. Really wish Ed would gain some defense (9 at level 16? ;_;). Micaiah has gained speed 5/6 levels, which means that she basically caught up from her very bad speed start. (Maybe 1 point above average now.) Gave the Energy Drop to Edward and the Dracoshield to Nolan. Meg is better than both without either. >_>

Resets thus far:

1-3: Accidentally let Aran kill Laura
1-4: derp. Meg got doubled by the boss and he attacked her
1-9: SHE JUST GOT OHKOED BY AN AXEMAN!??
1-E: Just a couple of resets involving: a) overestimating Laura's RES b) overestimating Tormod's tankiness c) overestimating Volug's RES
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 05:45:57 PM by Ciato »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: May 13, 2010, 03:49:55 AM »
3D Dot Game Heroes

Picked this up today. It's humor is playing right into my style so far. Less then an hour in, it's already spoofed DQ1, DQ5, Legend of Zelda all over the place, and FF1. Gameplay is very simple and rather easy so far, but I was expecting that. Still fun overall. May try my hand at making my own hero soon~
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: May 13, 2010, 04:29:06 AM »
Resident Evil 4: Just beat Salazar!  Took me 4 tries.  First was me figuring out what the hell the fight was like.  2nd involved me getting killed by his instant death move (ie don't stand right in front of him, and if you do, be ready to jump to the bottom!)  3rd involved me basically running out of resources...but near the end, I realized you could shoot his tentacles, which were the main nuisance of the fight, and temporarily get them away.  4th was VICTORY!

The game is fun, but boss fights leave something to be desired.  I mean they're challenging but they feel really...slow paced.  Its more like "ok, when are you gonna die?" rather than exploiting the gameplay to its finest.  Feels like they're only there cause all games need boss fights.

Other than that, game is good stuff so far.

Street Fighter 4: You know, it occured to me that I never finished Arcade Mode as Seth...so I went ahead and did that!  Ok, NOW STREET FIGHTER 4 PLOT MAKES SLIGHLTY MORE SENSE FOR SUPER!?

...or not <_<

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: May 13, 2010, 04:46:13 AM »
Aren't there only three true boss fights in RE4? I mean, the Right Hand Man fight could be a boss battle if you fought it straight-up, but it's clearly a gimmick fight.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: May 13, 2010, 04:58:34 AM »
well, yeah, thankfully boss fights aren't very common.  Just both Mendes and Salazar weren't particularly fun, more just kind of dragged on.  The game wasn't geared around straight up combat like that, so typical action game/FPS/etc. style bosses just kind of clash with its style and pacing.

Oh, yeah, I would also consider the Gigantes Bosses as well; you do fight more than one, but they're built up as bosses; heck the first one is very much a boss fight straight up.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:00:32 AM by Meeplelard »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: May 13, 2010, 05:00:30 AM »
I always rocket launcher-ed Salazar. They give you one for free.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: May 13, 2010, 09:51:56 AM »
Aren't there only three true boss fights in RE4? I mean, the Right Hand Man fight could be a boss battle if you fought it straight-up, but it's clearly a gimmick fight.

RE4 is actually quite boss heavy having ten bosses. The only other RE game that can boast such a number is RE3 but thats due to the player having to face Nemesis nine or so times.

The bosses are:

Del Lago
First Gigante
Chief Mendes
Right Hand Man
Salazar
U3
Jack Krauser
Jack Krauser again (Bonus content only)
Saddler (Bonus content only)
Final Saddler
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:02:01 PM by Rozalia »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2096 on: May 14, 2010, 05:07:46 AM »
Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn: Started this on a whim. Up to Chapter 1-5.

The Dawn Brigade seems custom-made to feed kills to Micaiah. Pretty much any setup I've gone with defensively has always made it really easy to just come in and sweep up with Micaiah. She's sitting at level 15 while the rest of my team is hovering around 8-9. She's getting to be rather broken.

Benched Meg and Leo once I got the chance, and everyone else has been shades of okay outside of Micaiah, Nolan, and Sothe. And mostly I've just been using Sothe with his weapon unequipped as a Micaiah Support battery/wall. Though in the latest battle, I actually let him counter some things.

The battle against the Laguz was like a Micaiah EXP buffet. I went from level 7 to level 14.

I just realized that I've played this many maps and I haven't used Sacrifice yet. What does it do anyway? Do I get EXP for using it? Can I replace Laura with it?

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2097 on: May 14, 2010, 05:19:46 AM »
It turns Micaiah HP into Someone Else HP.  I don't THINK it's worth experience.  I'm told it combos well with Resolve, but I forget where you get resolve to start with.  Sans that not a good thing; afterall, everyone except Laura has more HP than Micaiah to start with!  She needs it more!
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: May 14, 2010, 05:21:26 AM »
Sacrifice gives up Micaiah's HP to restore someone else's, so you can't replace Laura with it.  It does give experience, though, so you could use it to heal then have Laura heal her if you really think you need extra Micaiah XP.  Which it sounds like you don't, and there's another map basically made to give Micaiah free experience later.

Edit for DotNinja: I am certain that it does give experience, despite CK's belief to the contrary.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: May 14, 2010, 06:13:06 AM »
You get Tauroneo as a temp for a stage and you can steal resolve from him.