Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 361939 times)

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #2225 on: May 22, 2010, 12:13:14 AM »
No Disgaea 3 as Studley is too awesome.

Played a very good Fei Long player a shed load of times today, I used to consider it a bad matchup but it was more I was making too many stupid moves. If I hold back I found there was little he could do and it forced him into making mistakes. It helped that he was proberly peeved about having roses thrown at him for 30 solid seconds ;D.
After that there was no turtling and I managed to come out ahead as while we were quite even Dudley's ultra swayed it in my favour. He had a great deal of trouble landing his ultra while mine was connecting at times twice a round.

Oh yeah also I played 5 MAKOTOS! What were capcom thinking? All her combos are worthless if one punch from Dudley puts things even. She has from what I've seen crap damage, health, speed, ground moves, anti air and command grabs. I should not be able to throw her out of her command throw but thats how crap it is. I am aware of the grab + punch + Super + Ultra combo before anyone says anything. Its honestly not that great, its tricky to pull off and the chances a good player letting it hit is near zero.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 02:04:27 AM by Rozalia »

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: May 22, 2010, 01:49:57 AM »
TF2- Engie+good team=yay positive kill count. My ego needed that after the last time I was pitted against team Trips/Laggy. Now to master ninja Engie with Sage. *Nods*

Ninja Pyro is fun.  I like the changes they made (...after...making changes...).  Flare Gun Sniping is finely annoying to people without medics.  I love the auto-crit at long range - people really don't watch it well enough.

Practically not that effective, but still fun!  Coming behind a pack of people and burning all 6 of them down is fun.

I'll be honest: The way I ninja Engie is kinda ridiculous as fuck, because I've played enough Spy to back up "Come up on someone's back and wrench them to death." as a strategy if I'm lucky. It probably shouldn't work, but people spectacularly underrate Engineers as a combat force. (25% less speed, a little less extreme close range damage(But a better melee weapon) and a double jump is substantial advantages in combat but that DOESN'T MEAN THE ENGIE DOESN'T DO JUST AS MUCH DAMAGE GUYS)

Still, I know some spots. I think my favorite is the Turbine offensive spot where it covers four doors. Teleporters I'm better with and I keep finding new spots for those every day(Yesssss I actually saw someone pull off the Badwater fifth point tele into the back end of the base. Took a dispenser though and they rather stupidly didn't cover it with a gun first. what the hell.).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 01:52:38 AM by SageAcrin »
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: May 22, 2010, 05:28:54 AM »
FE10- In zee final dungeon, saved halfway into E-1. The TV is going to get mighty tired of FE9/FE10 after the last month.

Overall, things have gone pretty smoothly. I decided I wanted to use Tanith, Shinon, and Calill; those were going to be my pet characters and otherwise I would use the best people (or in the case of a near tie, those who made me happiest).

A few things:

1. Marcia was not very good this playthrough. She was strictly inferior to Tanith in most ways.

2. Mia is badass! Definitely a bad enough girl to use in the final dungeon, I must say.

3. Tried to use Edward once again. Ended up dumping in around 3-13. I used him as filler in Part 4 and he even got to Tier 3... because I Master Crowned him at Level 10.

4. Tried to use Makalov. The asshat decided not to gain speed four levels straight with his 75% speed growth. Oh fuck off!

5. Nephenee was excluded from the final dungeon due to having used her both other playthroughs already, but she really deserved to go again.

6. Death count:
Leonardo- gang raped by Pegusus Knights in Part 1
Aran- Doubled by the steel longbow dude in 1-Endgame
Ranulf- magic'd to death
Ulki- Got hit by a crossbowmen on the Save Elincia map
Pelleas and Laura and Marcia died at various points and I was going to let them die but then I had to reset anyway. >_>

7. Final party: Ike, Micaiah, Sanaki, Ena, Kurth, Sothe of course. Volug, Meg, Nolan, Janaff, Tanith, Mia, Calill, Elincia, Oscar, Shinon. Jill was close to being on the team until I realized that I only had one healer so I replaced her with Elincia.

8. Oscar turned out just statistically superior to Titania. It kind of snuck up on me, because I thought Titania was always the best.

9. Dang, Jill got hot in the last three years. Titania is hot too. Fire Emblem rules making hot redheads. Mmm, Raven. Mmm, Joshua.

10. Shinon is quite good. It's a stark contrast to FE9, where he talks all this trash like he's some kind of badass and then can't fucking break defense. Also, Earth/Earth supports are stupid. :D

Also, Alondite Meg y/y
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 05:36:16 AM by Ciato »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: May 22, 2010, 05:29:24 AM »
SH2 - SUPER FLASHY CGI OH LOOK IT'S A RANDOM BOSSFIGHT man Saki's battle is pretty out of the blue. At least she's capable of doling out OHKO offense, which is more than any of the 3HKOing losers so far could say.

[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2229 on: May 22, 2010, 06:26:46 AM »
The GameFAQs SaGa Frontier community is actually cool.

I would think if they're putting this much time in to decompiling and analyzing battle mechanics from Saga fucking Frontier, they're probably quite the opposite.

Oh Rob, you're so delightfully antagonistic!  :-* <3

Yggdra Union: Well, the game is as unique as it's reported to be. Pretty interesting. There are some mechanics that translate really easily to DL format like "The entire SRPG team of 9 can only make -one- attack total in a round". Then there's the weird Clash/Morale system, which essentially gives every PC two forms of HP: Real HP, called Morale, which takes a unit out of play if it reaches 0; and "Buffer HP", called Clash damage, which only serves to determine whether or not a PC gets a chance to damage Morale or not. Buffer HP only lasts for one round of combat, it is completely restored by the next turn, even if all Buffer HP is reduced to 0.

The reason this is controversial is because each PC's Buffer HP looks like a generic mook that follows them into battle.

As an example, Yggdra always rides into battle with 6 Valkyries at her side. These Valkyries are just graphical representations of Yggdra's stats that attack alongside her. If all of them die, they instantly respawn in the next attack. At the end of an attack, the number of Yggdra's Valkyries that survived are converted into damage against the opponent's Real HP. If only Yggdra survives, she does 10% damage (plus a few other factors) to the opponent's Real HP. If Yggdra doesn't survive, then she deals no damage and the opponent gets to counter-attack, but there's no game over unless the opponent manages to bring her Real HP to 0.

After a lot of looking at the mechanics, I've come to the conclusion there's only two ways to view Yggdra Union characters.

The way I suspect most DLers would demand would be "Leader PC fights alone", which is only possible in-game during a single round of combat if the enemy manages to take out all of the mooks, but not the Leader. Mathematically, I can probably still make a stat topic like this, since if only the Leader is alive, they do 10% of damage, which would just make the damage averages look a lot lower. However, most of the skill/equipment mechanics formulas in the game look something like this:

Attacker's TEC - Opponent's GEN = # of Mooks killed

The Mooks themselves each count as basically 1 Buffer HP and 10% of Potential damage. That's basically their entire function is to be a graphical representation of the Leader's Buffer HP, which can be converted into damage if any of them survive. Manipulating how many of them survive on either side during a turn is basically how damage to Real HP works.

This is how I would view Yggdra Union, where mooks are ignored as anything other than meatshields. If they were graphically represented as floating shields, there would be no question on how to interpret this. They have about as much autonomy as FF6's Interceptor (maybe less since technically Relm can get Interceptor, too!). Yggdra always has 6 Valkyries, Durant always has 3 (2-HP) Knights, enemies always have 6 or 3 mooks following them, so calculating Real HP damage using the baseline 6 mooks is actually entirely possible.

And particularly interesting due to the way resists and weaknesses work in the game. All things being equal, an attacking PC normally (no skills used) wins a Clash with only themselves standing. However, there's a weapon triangle, elemental typings, and species/terrain effects that come into play. If a PC has a weapon-type that's strong against their opponent's (like Sword over Axe), then they will win a Clash with more of their mooks standing (which converts into more direct damage to their Real HP). But this system is tiered. Elemental resistance overwrites Weapon triangle, so if the Sword-user attacks the Axe-user with a Holy-elemental physical and the Axe-user nulls Holy, now the Sword-user loses the Clash miserably and deals no damage to Real HP (in fact, they give the opponent a free counter-attack to their own Real HP). Species weakness overrides everything, but there's only like 4 species weaknesses in the game.

It makes an interesting cast full of spoilers who are equally spoil-able. Resisting a YU PC's weapon-type can make them completely unable to damage an opponent without using skills (which are very limited). Conversely, having a weapon-type that a YU PC resists can basically make them untouchable and give them free counters (unless the opponent uses skills/elements/status).

So... while I doubt I'll be able to make a topic that would make people deem the YU cast as 'rankable', I can definitely make a stat topic that has comparable stats for things like Board Tournaments.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: May 22, 2010, 10:52:39 AM »
That is not what truly makes the game unrankable.

The first thing is the individual hp of each mook and leader. They are invisible but still important, especially in a leader vs leader situation.

Second, the actual damage done is determined by the card score. But each individual card's score can vary greatly, and there is no definite ways on how a card will grow. So there is no reliable end game average.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2231 on: May 22, 2010, 11:20:20 AM »
Each mook's HP is exactly 1/2 or equal to the Leader's HP. The Leader's stats are the only stats that matter.

For Card Power, I was going to take the amount of maps that the card was available for (since each card can only be used once per map) and give it the average amount of EXP from enemies on that map (each enemy gives a fixed amount of Card EXP).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: May 22, 2010, 11:57:23 AM »
FE9 - Holy shit they have actually resolved the Jill recruitment with the fact that you are totally making out with every Laguz you come across in this game.  I really didn't expect that to happen.  So props to the game there.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: May 22, 2010, 03:10:05 PM »
MMSF2 x Saurian -

Beat Apollo. Currently I have every regular and giga card, and am just missing 19 mega cards, which I am not going to bother getting.

Pokémon Heart Gold -

Just beat the Elite 4/Champion for the first time. Currently on 115 mons acquired.

I see that the game still has the annoying problem inbattle where if you have Run highlighted, you can't hit Up to go to Fight (and Run doesn't require confirmation). It would help if after accidentally moving off Fight, moving the other direction went back to Fight instead of to Run.

Game is being fine as would be expected of a remake of the best iteration so far.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: May 22, 2010, 03:40:06 PM »
Nier: Finished part 1. Did all the quests because I'm crazy like that. And they give shiny dialog between the characters usually so that is worth it.

Generally sharing some of Tal's thoughts, although playing on Normal means enemies die a whole lot faster. Game is depressing as crap at the end of part 1/start of part 2. To be expected I guess.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:03:11 PM by Pyro »

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: May 22, 2010, 05:38:23 PM »
Disgaea 3:  Just got a L200 Cosmo Infinity.  Base stats are as follows:

365700 HP
146400 SP
1576850 ATK
73300 DEF
73300 INT
131780 RES
146400 HIT
1720182 SPD

Due to 5 sets of L19998 Sprinters, there's 99990 more base ATK/SPD, a Professional tossed on for perfect crit rates, a Guardian to get all the Equipment to offer bonkers bonuses...  Then, the last slot for a L500 Fist Fighter, so go ahead and multiply all those base values by 500.

I am going to thoroughly enjoy this weapon.

And by thoroughly enjoy, I mean clone the hell out of it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 05:42:59 PM by Magic Fanatic »

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: May 22, 2010, 07:40:16 PM »
Let's see...

Well I am still playing the hell out of League of Legends. They keep pumping out new heroes so it isn't getting old or anything either! I think I have seen at least nine new characters since I have been playing. I think Shaco is my favorite champion to use though.

Not to mention I made a Bass player for my GFs band and have been rocking out in some good ole fashion Rock Band 2. Juan Dinero is now a part of Neon Roses!

I have also been playing a good amount of Call of Duty MW2 on the PS3 as of late. Me and my lady got her profile in online mode to around level 44.

Not to mention she has that Sega Classics Collection Package for her 360 so I popped that in and showed her some Phantasy Star 4 and Shining Force 2 lovin. Go figure that she seemed to like PS4 more.

She also just bought  Brawl and Melee so I have been teaching her how to play those games.

We have also been playing that New Super Mario bros game. I think I have beaten that game with three different groups of people now. I enjoy killing my partners. It's more fun that way!

Not to mention I have been constantly playing SS while I have the time. I am around 400 pokemon caught with 15 badges. I think I have to evolve all those stupid happiness pokemon now which is going to be hella annoying.

OH! So I got my friend to dl the After years and what a cop out. I get Kain, he gets all bad ass and magical and then the damn game ends on me. I KNOW that isn't the end, but now I have to pay more to see the rest. How fucking lame. Why couldn't they just make the game a whole game!

edit: Just so you all know, Kain gets Haste, Blink, and Cures along with Esuna now! *dances*
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 09:05:24 PM by Scar »
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: May 22, 2010, 09:50:09 PM »
SH2 - Here lies Nicolai Conrad. He failed almost as spectacularly as Shion on Ice: Springtime for 4chan until the end. R.I.P.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: May 22, 2010, 10:14:54 PM »
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: May 22, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Nier: Finished part 1. Did all the quests because I'm crazy like that. And they give shiny dialog between the characters usually so that is worth it.

Generally sharing some of Tal's thoughts, although playing on Normal means enemies die a whole lot faster. Game is depressing as crap at the end of part 1/start of part 2. To be expected I guess.

Boss durability seems to drop off in part 2, for some reason.  Maybe because spears are cracked.

---

NIER - Finished.  x2.  Hard mode, 100% quest completion, 100% weapon completion.  Good game overall, though it does have its fair of issues (TROLLAN).  Gameplay is pretty fun, but doing all the optional quests can be tedious.  I did all of them on the first run so cycle 2 went by pretty quick.  Fortunately the enemies do get stronger on the second cycle, so it wasn't all that boring.  Some of the lategame bosses can be real bitches though.  Especially one towards the end where you're supposed to blitz BUT YOU CAN'T BLITZ BECAUSE THE HP WAS INCREASED HAVE FUN.  Had a reset there but fortunately NIER continues stick you right at the beginning of whatever PHASE of the boss you died on, not the beginning of the whole battle.  Pretty awesome, that.

Got to finish this run for the other two endings and then I'll be done.  Doesn't seem like enemies got stronger this time, so it should be even quicker (and I can skip scenes because all the new stuff outside the ending shows up on cycle 2 as far as I know).

Oh yeah, and the soundtrack is amazing.  I know I already said that but it needs to be said again.

Taishyr

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2241 on: May 22, 2010, 11:12:05 PM »
edit: Just so you all know, Kain gets Haste, Blink, and Cures along with Esuna now! *dances*

Eh, it helps, but he's no Edge or Yang. Edge gets itemcast haste, blink and protect, and Yang gets a defend/counter cover thing that is just stupid good at turtling.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: May 23, 2010, 02:16:42 AM »
Torchlight: So, I got Fletchette Trap. Now I  have a machinegun, ho ho ho. It's kind of unfair, really; it's like playing Nelson Muntz to the game's Milhouse. "Stop shooting yourself, stop shooting yourself, stop shooting yourself." The game in general has been quite easy, actually, apart from the occasional optional area that has higher-levelled enemies. Probably coulda dealt with playing on a higher difficulty setting--as usual, I just went with the default.

Just fought Ordrak. Mine 'n' run strategy took him out pretty easily (as it does with most things), though there was enough damage flying around that I actually had to heal once. So that's something? Anyway, onwards to Boatmurdered dwarven fortress.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: May 23, 2010, 02:21:57 AM »
Heart Gold: More tournament planning! I now have a collection of about 10 Pokemon that I need to cut down to my final 6, and I have a pretty good idea of the final 6 (4, technically) that I want. Got 4 of them fully EVd, and 3 of those are above Lv 50 (the other is, like, 47 or something) so I'm nearly there! ...but only a week to go. I'm gonna have to speed-play this if I want to win a trip to Hawaii~ ;(

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: May 23, 2010, 02:30:01 AM »
WAoO - Five Tree of Life Ashes, seven Hi-Potions, all my Moonfly Powders and a dead Lion later, I realize why I left Gou Yoku 3 for post-Delphi in my first playthrough. Delphi was pretty underwhelming as a result, though.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: May 23, 2010, 06:44:38 AM »
Each mook's HP is exactly 1/2 or equal to the Leader's HP. The Leader's stats are the only stats that matter.

For Card Power, I was going to take the amount of maps that the card was available for (since each card can only be used once per map) and give it the average amount of EXP from enemies on that map (each enemy gives a fixed amount of Card EXP).

Doesn't work though. The amount of cards you can use per map changes. You can't predict which card you'll use and which one you don't.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: May 23, 2010, 06:47:17 AM »
Got to finish this run for the other two endings and then I'll be done.  Doesn't seem like enemies got stronger this time, so it should be even quicker (and I can skip scenes because all the new stuff outside the ending shows up on cycle 2 as far as I know).

You sure? You should know what ending D does by now....

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: May 23, 2010, 07:12:48 AM »
It's apparently possible to back up your save first and get around that.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: May 23, 2010, 09:06:35 AM »
Already backed up my saves so yeah.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2249 on: May 23, 2010, 11:19:53 AM »

Doesn't work though. The amount of cards you can use per map changes. You can't predict which card you'll use and which one you don't.

It works for an average. Kind of like saying that even though you can play through all of FE7 and never once use Wil doesn't mean that he doesn't deserve to get EXP as if you were using him in your main party.