Register

Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 362587 times)

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #3625 on: September 09, 2010, 07:42:49 AM »
Nice~ Keep linking your updates, and I'll keep watching them!
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: September 09, 2010, 02:13:56 PM »
Playing the Secret of Evermore Rebalance Patch (awwright!)

Recording it too, if anyone's interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG2SXNE-g80

It's great.

Rebalance patch for SoE?  How does that work?  Do they just readjust all the Alchemy spells to make more sense relative to when you get them or something? I'm just mind boggling cause SoE is just one step away from a Solo RPG.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: September 09, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Arch probably made the patch.  SoE 1.3 and all.  Less lolgame
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: September 09, 2010, 02:57:07 PM »
No, he said REBALANCE patch, not "Anal Wanker Hard Mode That's Anti-Grinding That Requires Abusing Every Obscure Facet Of The Game To Complete The First Stage"

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: September 09, 2010, 02:58:40 PM »
You don't understand anything.  1.3 IS a rebalance patch for people to actually ENJOY the game with!  It makes the game BETTER.  EVERY GAME needs a 1.3 patch for the TRULY SKILLED.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3630 on: September 09, 2010, 03:00:11 PM »
Running a Nuzlocke challenge on Pokemon Ruby alongside a couple of friends. Writing up diary entries for it, so might as well post them here. Will give them their own topic if people enjoy reading them.

Do we get to name your battle-pets, too?

Sure, if I'm in chat at the time. >.> I'm not naming anything myself, at least, so I take no blame for retarded names. :)

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: September 09, 2010, 03:12:20 PM »
LO- Cool Grefter is playing this too. Last time it was Enchanted Arms =-) On disc two now, just finished with the haunted mansion and recruited the fourth Immortal into my party. I am around L25 average with my characters but I've been running away a lot. Randoms in this game seem quite competent and I've been wiped out by them two or three times already. I should probably fight more but I worry about running out of resources. I agree with Grefter the dreams system is quite well done. I've missed five dreams already though, the five after "Hanna's Departure" I wonder if it will be possible to go back for them or if dreams will carry over in save data if there's any sort of achievement relating to them at all. Character wise I'm not sure I like Ming, everyone else is pretty cool or at least tolerable though. I'm still not sure I can trust Jansen but yeah. Keeps things interesting.
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: September 09, 2010, 03:29:43 PM »
Playing the Secret of Evermore Rebalance Patch (awwright!)

Recording it too, if anyone's interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG2SXNE-g80

It's great.

Rebalance patch for SoE?  How does that work?  Do they just readjust all the Alchemy spells to make more sense relative to when you get them or something? I'm just mind boggling cause SoE is just one step away from a Solo RPG.

Meeple, see the readme here:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/snes/patches/602readme.txt

It has a lot of changes that I probably never would have thought of making that actually make a good bit of sense (Leveling up one offensive spell levels all of them up slightly, for instance).  Of course, I haven't ever finished it completely (Made it to Gothica before getting sidetracked last time) but I was fairly impressed.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: September 09, 2010, 07:24:06 PM »
Apparently, that Readme file link doesn't work, so I can't really read anything <_<

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: September 09, 2010, 07:25:40 PM »
Apparently, that Readme file link doesn't work, so I can't really read anything <_<

;_;

Well here's the hack, I assume you can find it there:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/602/

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: September 09, 2010, 09:38:09 PM »
Guitar Hero 5-Okay my guitar has pretty much had it, so I think I'm not gonna bother with any more of these games after this. Like GH4, it has a setlist comprised roughly 90% of filler, 5% actual fun songs to play, and 5% shit songs that suck. Of course I'm not playing in a full band so that's not entirely fair but still it wasn't a very good game, GH:M is still easily the best of the post-Harmonix era. The best part is having Kurt Kobain come back from the dead, finding out you can put him in any position in band, and creating a band of 4 Kurt Kobains and then watching Kurt Kobain's character model sing a Public Enemy song with YEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH BOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE in it. Unfortunately I couldn't change my band name into "Hey man, Nice Shot!" but oh well.

Final Fantasy XIII-This is game is FF7 if it took 20 hours for you to leave Midgar and then had a further 20 hours of dungeon crawling and sidequests followed by squeezing the rest of the plot into roughly 4 hours or so of cutscenes.

Seriously, pretty much all of this game is shit. The game is a fucking tutorial for like half its length! It's such a completely stupid decision and I am completely baffled as to why Square-Enix thought it was a good idea. "Walk forward, find cutscene, mash A button, repeat" should not be an accurate summary of half your game. To be fair once it opens up a little and you get to do some actual exploration through something that's not linear corridors, get the ability to change party members (over 20 hours in by now, mind you), and all that shit, it does get better, but by now it's a case of too little, far too late.

The story and characters aren't worth it. The story is a mess of boring shit I don't care about, with a bunch of shit that just wastes time and makes me reach for the 'skip cutscene button'. For example, Hope is angry at Snow because he blames him for the death of his mother. Okay, fair enough. Now he's babbling about actually getting revenge through murder and of course we all know that no such thing is ever going to happen. So the game forces us to watch cutscene after cutscene of Hope talking about how he's totally going to get that guy, like, you don't even know man, he's totally going down for sure because the developers will kill off one major character and make the other completely unsympathetic after hours and hours of effort, right? You could just skip every scene he's in from when Hope first opens his dumb mouth to when things finally get resolved in the most predicable way possible and not miss a single important thing. Vanille's ~*Tragic Backstory*~ works the same way. Just a bunch of wasted time.

It also doesn't hurt that both Vanille and Hope are fucking obnoxious until their plot threads are resolved and they basically just show up for a token line now and then. In fact, I don't think I really sympathized or liked a single member of the cast besides Sazh, who at least was fairly believable and likable, even if his plot shit was just as utterly predictable as everyone else. Lightning, for all she gets points for calling Snow out on his bullshit, winds up spending too much time being a bitch and has nothing but generic "I'm a badass!" lines besides. Snow is a retard and hero hero hero hero save Serah hero hero hero hero Serah hero hero. Fang's alright I guess. Villains suck balls and don't have enough screen time or presence for me to care, same goes for side characters.

Battle system...Paradigm system works well enough, though of course not having control over party members gets annoying. The Cyrstarium was a decent Sphere Grid knockoff, the unlocking level thing was a decent way to discourage grinding, crafting weapons and shit is super expensive and not really worth it. The monster hunts aren't bad but seem more in line for somebody who wants to grind for lots of CP even when you don't really need it. Battles were monotonously easy at first, actually got fun around the middle to the end, then at endgame became frustrating "I give myself 20 stat-ups instantly at the start of battle and can spam AoE stunlock attacks. Also there's 3 more more of me. Hope you ambushed!!!111" shitfests that barely seemed worth the effort to fight. But of course they make the spaces so narrow and the monsters so fast you have to either fight them or blow through your super expensive, rare gameplay skip trinkets.

tl:dr Game sucks, worst in the series since FF8
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: September 09, 2010, 10:05:41 PM »
Bioshock 2: Cleared out the Minerva's Den DLC. Half of the big reveal at the end I had guessed pretty much before I ever even started playing, but the second half surprised me a little. The ending was probably the best part of the entire game.

Red Dead Redemption: Got 100% completion in the single-game.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: September 09, 2010, 10:09:06 PM »
LO - Okay, so I have been playing this wayyyy less than CT.  Did like one dungeon since last posting?  Stupid work.  But yeah, getting all the dreams sort of kills them, because for some reason they decided that you needed to be able to get 5 or 6 in a row straight away.  They are still good writing and the text scroll is well done, but after that many I am caring way less about text scroll gimmick and more about reading so I can get back to doing something.  Game is fun enough.  

I do have a question about how Slot Seeds work though, I assume there is a skill slot cap on each character (48 seeds in the game, 4 Immortals, start with 3 skills each, I assume there is a cap of 15), but on the off chance that there isn't I am stuck contemplating benching one of the Immortals just to jam more skills on other characters, I understand that they are the best characters in the game, but 3 uber PCs with tons of skills with a mediocre fourth might work better than 4 good characters.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: September 10, 2010, 02:51:55 AM »
Notably later in the game, there are some accessories that give +3 and +5 skill (+2/+4 after equipping the skill!). There may be more that I haven't gotten yet. So at the very least, you can add 6 free skill slots pretty easily. I don't think there is a techincal max, but not 100% sure on that (thought I read that DLC unlocks a dungeon with a +25 skill item or something that ridiculous). Even so, some of the later skills that you can put onto Immortal make running all 4 of them at once sensible (Double Item!)

CT, the randoms? Watch out for the next dungeon, it's the most evil in the game for them. I was wiped out...three or four times against back row enemies with some nasty, nasty MT magic casting abilities. The dungeon was fun as hell design wise, but I didn't need to see the majority of it that much.

Dreams can be gone back and gotten later if desired. Minus 1 or 2, they don't unlock anything extra.

Random fighting doesn't give many extra levels (Steep EXP curves or something like that), just the SP.
...into the nightfall.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: September 10, 2010, 04:57:33 AM »
ACE:R- Jesus Yamato is Jesus yet again in this thing..... can he get any more broken? Long lasting SEED effect with Himat Fullburst cost only one tension!!?? A stupidly good multi target physical and Dragoon System that is both grunt and boss slayer?? And god, how thick is his defense after SEED? This is surreal, is From Software made of Kira fan boys??

And ahahaha at Lulu on how ironic his set up is.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: September 10, 2010, 08:18:03 AM »
ACE:R- Jesus Yamato is Jesus yet again in this thing..... can he get any more broken? Long lasting SEED effect with Himat Fullburst cost only one tension!!?? A stupidly good multi target physical and Dragoon System that is both grunt and boss slayer?? And god, how thick is his defense after SEED? This is surreal, is From Software made of Kira fan boys??

And ahahaha at Lulu on how ironic his set up is.

Japan is made up of Kira fanboys, they just sell to them.

Tales of Destiny Remake:

Up to...um fuck I still can never remember Aethersphere dungeons. *Looks it up.* Mikheil. Near the end of the game.

Very, very good remake. Does suffer some of the flaws of the original material(notably Aethersphere is still essentially a 10 hour long dungeon bash with occasional minor plot and skits), but the battle system improvement is ridiculous; ToD was arguably the worst Tales in the series for battle system, while this basically has ten PCs that have actually well done skillsets.

Every single PC is interesting, varied, and good in different situations. Non-fail Hard mode? Yeah it has that too, I know, it's stunning. Good internal balance within skillsets, encouraging widely varying play? Yeah it does that too. Really good game, someone go set fire to Namco for not porting it.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: September 10, 2010, 07:52:31 PM »
God Hand - Beat this. 90 resets in all, average level 1.7 (284/457/47/9 for kills by level). Took a bit over 14 hours. Game remained great fun right up to the end, very happy with it. I'm not going to rant more about it now because honestly my last post covered all the key stuff. The SERIOUS PLOT was a little disorganised but hahaha, like that's worth caring about. Ending was absolutely brilliant, I can't think of a better way to finish a game like that.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: September 10, 2010, 07:59:01 PM »
Wild arms 5: Did the whole thing with the guy who loves his job a bit to much. Elvis was pretty awesome.

SMT3: Finally have this at last. Its not as good as SMT2 but still a decent game. Main has Fog breath, War Cry, Tornado, force boost, shock, elec boost, Heatwave and focus with his specs being str build.

Matador is one of the most well designed bosses i've faced recently. Good model design, the music while not just his seems like it was made for him and the difficulty is just right as he is meant to be a kick to the balls to the player. While made of papermech he still holds up well and you really have to prepare yourself for him to win.
Dante, Thor and the monk guy were jokes though and could do nothing but fall at the tidalwave of buffs/debuffs.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #3643 on: September 11, 2010, 01:41:05 AM »
Just played through the Overlord DLC for ME2. Two thoughts-

1) The main area you explore in the Hammerhead is really, really good-looking. It's like they took FFXIII but made an actual game out of it.

2) Holy fucking god the ending to that is colossally messed-up.

Still, some really good content that was enjoyable, challenging and interesting while being long enough to really get in to.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: September 11, 2010, 04:45:40 AM »
I actually made progress today so....

MMX6(or how I learned that rules are meant to be broken when you can't dash-jump worth a damn.): So, in my unending quest to putz around aimlessly I went over to Metal Shark Player's stage to finally beat him.  Except, near the end of the third area there's a very annoying jump that I just can't get through with unarmored X.  Bt I do remember that WolFang's effect can help, so.... I head to WolFang's stage to get the alternate area and get the lives upgrade.  Then for some dumb reason I forgot I needed the fire nightmare effect to do that.  Oh well, I have the nightmare effect.  Back to Metal Shark!  Where I learn that the ice doesn't actuall help and I just weep silently.  Ok, well, whatever.  I have the metal block effect, I can go grab the last armor.  Go to Heatnix's stage and...  Oh god dumbnut 1 kills me?  PS1 off.

So today, it's on!

Metal Shark Player: I head back here to try and use the WolFang weapon to bridge the gap.  It doesn't work, dammit, but at least I get the nightmare effect up.

Blaze Heatnix: Right, dumbnut one gets its licks in but I beat it and head through an actual level to get to number 2.  Number 2 gets my piddly life 2, but I get his anyway.  Go through door, climb up, see nice pretty block!  Do a bit of maneuvering to get up top, climb some more, save some reploids, get some lives, get cockblocked because one spawns right in the goddamn way and I don't have the anchor.

DIE.

Game off.

Metal Shark Player(FOR REALZ THIS TIME): I have to bit the bullet and use Falcon get through the stage.  Since I'm doing that I... well honestly I don't get any advantages beyond the air dash because I already have the 1/2 damage part and the Falcon buster blows.  Giga attack?  Ha.  Anyway, with the armor I can actually make it past!  Grab the heart tank along the way, smash the miniboss, and smash the SHARRRRRK.  Yay.

Blaze Heatnix: Alright, time to get the part and do this thing!  Back as Unarmored X I somehow enter my playing nirvana and get through the first dumbnut with only two hits on me.  Actual stage and I go through with one hit, and I still have half life once I'm done with the second dumbnut!  Yay!  ANyway, I climb back up and take out the cockblock with the anchor and complete the Shadow Armor.  KICKIN" RAD.  I continue on that path because I thought it led to a route that bypassed the third and fourth dumbnuts.  It didn't.  It led to the alternate.  Dammit.  Anyway, that area is a joke, I get an E-tank and smack Dynamo's pansy ass around some more. 

And now I have enough SOULS to use 4 parts.  Jeez.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3645 on: September 11, 2010, 10:22:34 PM »
So Fuod, I have to ask you:

How's your liver holding up?

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: September 12, 2010, 01:44:15 AM »
So Fuod, I have to ask you:

How's your liver holding up?

My sanity is a bigger worry.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: September 12, 2010, 01:57:25 AM »
I'm kind of assuming that's already gone, and that you're starting to get affected physically.  Hence the liver question.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: September 12, 2010, 02:33:12 PM »
DQ9:  Did some solo powerleveling on my hero, now have all passive stat boosts with her.  I've gotten to where I can grind Agates of Evolution at a decent clip, so I just need orbs now.  Building up the Legacy-slaying team (Gladiator x3, Priest) for that purpose.  Also have full set of Metal King equipment now, and all but a couple of the basic S-rank weapons.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: September 12, 2010, 09:28:15 PM »
Crisis Core- Up to Modeoheim. The quick game flow makes the game very playable, despite the unevenness of the plot scenes. Missions are very doable, but also completely lacking in even the most minor of variety.  Zack is at least less annoying than the early game, WTF is a Cissnei, and they really call Tseng "Sung"? Is there any word that has an "e" that sounds like that?
...into the nightfall.