Register

Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 358703 times)

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #4050 on: October 27, 2010, 04:41:46 AM »
Dawn of Heroes:  Finished the fourth zone.  Game continues to be interesting, especially since they go out of their way to make each battle different.  Characters are level 20 now.  Been cycling through several different ones - they each become useful at times.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: October 27, 2010, 05:42:59 AM »
ToV - Shit gets real. Well, it started getting real a bit ago, and then got realer just today.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: October 27, 2010, 10:29:34 AM »
I didn't actually realize the Cover series was badass until...well, after the game had lost it's challenge (Pyro first told me). It was after I had done the last relatively hard sidequest boss. Of course, I used Cover during the final...but as I noted, I didn't expect the final to be unleashing 10% MT and do something a little less failtastic.

Honestly, I kind of like the gameplay and plot relationship you could play with having the final be amazingly fail compared to the rest of your army of Immortals who worked with mortals and helped bring them to their full potential and stuff.  Of course I assume the game doesn't play with that because this is Square.  Plot and gameplay segregation is pretty standard practice.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4053 on: October 27, 2010, 10:56:57 AM »
Gref, I need you to tell me if you've been to Vault 11 yet. I have thought about it a lot and it is the best part of the entire game.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: October 27, 2010, 01:11:27 PM »
Will be going there either tomorrow night or Friday Night, time permitting it will be tomorrow.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: October 27, 2010, 07:42:02 PM »
Lufia DS: Oh yes, I'd love a final boss with ridiculous amounts of lag and a gimmick for the fight, thanks! I don't mind the time gimmick, but when the basic lag is slowing the system and you throw in the rest of it, it's not hard. No, it's frustrating.

More comments and a bigger post later, mulling things over still.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: October 27, 2010, 09:20:19 PM »
Lufia DS: Finished, total time is somewhere around 25-30 hours, I'd have to check the game clock to be sure.  There be spoilers ahead, in case figuring out if a giant post dissecting a game has spoilers is too hard for you.

Where to begin? I'm going to touch on a lot of crap so I'll break this up into segments.

Gameplay:

This is where Lufia DS shines. Combat fits into the world well and is quite a lot of fun. It's fluid, moves well and maintains a breezy pace. None of the battles are overly long, be them random encounters or boss battles. The normal enemies serve well enough, though there's a lack of variety and things feel the same-ish after awhile. This isn't a big deal do to the breakneck pace Lufia DS moves at. The only real threat in most battles is poison, damage and other statuses aren't remotely difficult to deal with. Boss battles aren't much harder, though often gimmicky or otherwise mixed up from normal gameplay. This is a doubled edged sword; many bosses stand out but there's a constant, pervading air of gimmick-ness to the bosses. This isn't a huge deal nor does it seriously detract from the experience, but it is noticeable. You never really have a real boss fight that plays like a normal battle, with the possible exception of Idura's last form.  I say possibly because he died in about 1.5 seconds.

Gameplay is further boosted by six playable characters. Each has a unique style that feels different from one another. This is good and encourages you to experiment! This is doubly good since I found Maxim to be the best character to play as, so motivation to move off of him helps. The game isn't hard enough to where using the best character is required; in fact, Lufia DS is so easy that you can play whomever you prefer without much problem.  Yes, this is a bit of a backhanded compliment since Lufia DS is piss easy. That aside for the moment, I liked most of the characters with the exception of Guy and Tia. Tia's routine is too fixed in movement in a game that I feel rewards aggression, while Guy's just fucking slow. The others are all good or have ways to work with the system well, much love for their specials.

As mentioned, Lufia DS is easy. E-A-S-Y.  The randoms are never threatening unless you monumentally screw up. Even if you do, the fact that one PC dying simply brings in the next ensures that difficulty is transitory at best. Full heals at level up and full healing save points reinforce this, as does the continuing system. You died? No problem! You can select to restart five levels higher than you were! No, I'm not bullshitting.  Combined with the short length of Lufia DS and it's the easiest game since...damn, I can't think of one. Something really easy. I never saw a game over except once, and that was on purpose to see how the continue system worked. I don't think I ever came close. I think a few times a single PC died?  Usually Guy when using his special on those shell-bug thingies results in him taking 900 damage. It's telling when your few deaths are the result of a strange character quirk.

The final element of gameplay is the puzzles. Like Lufia 2 the game is chock full of them, each dungeon having several. It gets to the point where this is the subject of in character references; Lufia DS is self aware so this shouldn't surprise you. More on that point later. Back to what I was saying, the puzzles are generally solid. None of them are stumpers and they generally feel easier than Lufia 2's. I think there's a bunch of reasons for this. The shorter length means less cracks at making hard puzzles, the general shortness of dungeons and smaller tool supply simplifies thing and I quite frankly think they didn't make them hard. Fits with the rest of the game design, y'know? They may as well call it Lufia: Easy Type.

In fact, being easy is one of the defining marks of Lufia DS. One can pontificate on if this is a reference to Lufia 2 or not - I won't - but it is what it is. The entire gameplay experience is like a warm spring breeze. It warms you up a bit and then it's gone, just like that.  This really syncs up well with the rest of the game, for better or for worse.

Characters:

Posting this here for reference. Wish I had a better scan or image of it. That's a subtle hint if someone does and wants to post it.

Maxim: He's still the hero and his fundamental role in the story hasn't changed that much. He's a little more hot-blooded and more impulsive than his Lufia 2 counterpart. If anything, he feels like a generic good guy anime lead. At least he's old enough to drink, which puts him a few up on typical RPG mains.  This is one of his traits compared to the norm, he's an adult. Not a teenager, not an overgrown ball of emo, but a real, functioning adult.  21 is young, but I can at least accept that, you know? If anything, old Maxim was much more serious. The image up there is a nice reference to that. The old style Maxim is serious to the point of being grave, focused on whatever his problems are. The newer one is less hung up and is often seen smiling in game. I think I slightly prefer old Maxim, but this is less to do with his portrayal here than the general feel and changes to the plot.

Selan: There's not much in the way of changes to Selan's core character. She's slightly more impulsive but very little tweaking was done. The changes are to how she's portrayed compared to Maxim. There's a big movement to make her a full equal to Maxim whenever possible. Instead of staying in Parcelyte when Gades shit goes down, she rushes off and faces him first.  She's shown to be competent compared to the other characters, even when it might not make sense. The scene in the three towers with the Energy Augmenter and Tia comes to mind. You would think the mechanical girl would know what it is and Selan wouldn't, not the other way around. For lack of a better way to say it, Selan feels more modern in her presentation.

The crowning touch to this is when she goes along with Maxim to help stop Doom Island, instead of dying when the Sinistrals rupture. I dislike this particular change, I felt the Lufia 2 version of this last part was more effective. In the Lufia 2 version, there's a slow growing sense of understanding of what's going to happen, what has to happen and what Maxim ultimately wants to have happen. Without Selan, there's no role for him but to be the sacrificial savior. It's equal parts saving the world and suicide writ large. It makes a beautiful end to Lufia 2, as well as being a really good downer ending.  In Lufia DS it isn't quite the same. Selan's still there and fine, there's none of that tension about what's going to happen.

I don't really hold this as a knock against Selan per se, but more against the game itself.

Guy: Guy fills the role Dekar used to have, big hulking brute full of confidence. He's not as dumb as he looks, but he beats the shit out of things with a giant hammer.  He's more developed than in Lufia 2 but I'm neutral to the changes. I like him relatively less but I feel the party dynamic around him is better as a general rule. It makes it hard to say much about him, since I feel he's so tangled up in other things and changes that I don't have much of an opinion.

Tia: Woof. Tia's base character isn't changed too much. Her appearance has and some of her tendencies, but the basic character unfolds like she did before. I have more sympathy for her this time around - Maxim simply doesn't get it at all and then he falls in love with Selan in 5 seconds flat. She resolves the same way, until she shows back up with Dekar in the summer cutscene. Near as I can figure, he dropped by and swept her off her feet, as well as out of emo-land. I'm okay with this! Any possible romance with Dekar and Tia about non-existent, but it gets her back into the party and accepting Maxim's choice. It feels like that and not a relationship, though it's probably due to Lufia DS being so short. Edit: I forgot about Dekar saving her from Idura. Okay, that's one point there but the basic sentiment stands.

From there she's mostly around for minor character stuff, she doesn't change much past then. Tia holding Jeros made me smile, though. That was nice. That more than anything else said that Tia had moved on and provided closure to her old storyline.

Dekar: Having a bad voice actor is what Dekar's second best at, after being the world's strongest man. I couldn't use him in battle since he made me want to kill kittens in pure aural rage. His character was fun sometimes, too over the top in the others. His return scene was completely fucking gimped though. No riding in on a whale and defeating hordes of monsters? C'mon now! The fact that Dekar got a few smiles out of me is impressive, most of the time I can't stand his character type. Anyway, not much more to say about him. What you see is what you get.

Artea: Same character with a gun instead of a bow, as well as a slightly different shade of willowy elf stereotypes. I really don't care much about Artea in Lufia DS, he wasn't around long enough to matter. He didn't have as much time with Guy, due to the party being bigger and less of them being the third and fourth wheel to Maxim/Selan. Oh well.

Lexis: GREAT SCOTT! I'm surprisingly okay with making Lexis into a Doc Brown clone. It works! Making him into an NPC is fine with me in retrospect, since six PCs is already bordering on too many for the game. If there was seventh I'd say it should be Iris. He's okay for what he is, most of my comments related to him are more related to the world changes in Lufia DS. Since he's so tied up in the energy cores mumbo-jumbo I don't really want to go into it here.

Gades: See, I like Gades in Lufia DS. He gets more time to shine, you get to fight him a bunch of times and he works for being what he is. He gets the most work of any villain in the game - I don't include Iris/Erim as a villain - and it shows. Being the God of Destruction is the perfect excuse for someone who goes around and causes cataclysms. It's nice, it's tidy, it works on face value. He's not any great shakes, don't get me wrong, but he works. I can accept this. My only bitch is how his body is a temple, literally. Okay, I thought it was a nice callback and reference a  line in Lufia 2. Iris or someone says how the bodies of the Sinistrals are just temples of their energy. It's a nice metaphor, but you didn't have to take it literally! I prefer my gods to be spiritual entities, not giant temple mecha. This is retarded. Re-fucking-tarded. Full on slobbering all over your juice box retarded, folks. We have passed the stupid horizon and are now in idiot-ville.

Fuck how they pronounce Gades. It's Gaydes, not Gahdes. Just tossing that one out there.

Amon: Also known as bitch-boy. Okay, I liked how he sowed actual chaos in trying to drum up a war. This is good! Nothing else is. His voice is bad, his appearance is pathetic - I miss is awesome old armor - and he goes down faster than Snow on an FFT/SRW crossover. I'd be stunned if people managed to miss either of his dragon eggs. They may as well be freebies. He also doesn't get much face time, but considering how he was doing this is a good thing.

Daos: Daos hit the gym, I see. He's not different in character than his Lufia 2 form. Oh sure, he's a little nastier and deals with Erim himself, but not much has changed until you fight him. His boss fight is a fucking abortion of a last boss, ripe with lag as well as a special time gimmick to further complicate the fight and the lag. The last battle of the game is not where you include a new gameplay element. I don't care how cool or broken it is, this is fucking bad design.  Let alone because he has the last dragon egg and if you want it and fail you have to do Doom Island over again. It's like a fucking nova of bad choices and bullshit mixed together. It's so bad that I'm taking points off of the entire game for it. Never have I felt so ripped off by a last boss. Even fake Myria in BoF1 was better!

This isn't really about Daos as a character, but the clusterfuck of his battle form overshadows all else. Fuck Daos.

Iris/Erim: I like the idea of adding Iris to your party. It develops her better as well as provides some backstory to Lufia DS. I approve of this much. She develops as you go, but the problem is in Lufia DS's pacing. The concept they have needs a lot of work and time to make it believable. She needs lots of development and Lufia DS is too short to provide it. You don't have the emotional attachments to her that you should, or has she had enough time in the spotlight. The high party head count only makes this worse.  It's a shame because the basic idea is really damned good. I suspect the NG+ will help prop this up, or at least I hope.

I think Erim's ultimate realization is that she's in love with Maxim or at least in love with being human. In Lufia 1 Iris gets both her possible loves granted, being reborn as Lufia. In the alternate ending, Arek could be construed as granting this for her sacrifice, but it's vague. I'll go into this more later when I talk about the alternate ending.

Finally, considering the rest of the game avoided stripper-styled outfits, I'm mildly surprised Erim got one.

Part 2 of this after work.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: October 28, 2010, 02:05:12 AM »
New Vegas: So ultimately I went with a build geared towards perception/intelligence/agility, energy weapons/repair/science. I took the Wild Wasteland feature just for the hell of it. Don't think I've seen it kick in yet. I mean, there was one random moment on the road outside Goodsprings where a little confused Pipboy icon appeared in the upper left-hand corner of the screen, but I didn't see much going on to warrant it. There was...a tumbleweed in front of me. And a corpse with a snazzy 1920's gambler's hat. Maybe I was looking the wrong direction. Sure happens often enough when people are shooting me, despite the compass.

Mostly just wandering around after doing Goodsprings stuff. Walked into Hidden Valley but ewww centaurs, later. Walked up past Sloan because hey deathclaws, the ones in Fallout 2 were decent, maybe these ones will--fssk oh god my face, my unremarkable face! So also later. Ran to Mojave Outpost, picked up a bunch of sidequests instead.

Boom headshot is generally a winning battle plan. Dynamite reserved for things with no head.

Just Another Day

• Just Another Dollar
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • (BL)
« Reply #4058 on: October 28, 2010, 04:31:52 AM »
Pokewhite

Finished, into the aftergame. It's a bit of a jarring transition, wha-hey, everything's level 65!

Last couple of gyms were ridiculously easy, wasn't super impressed with the elite four either (4 pokemon each make for pretty easy fights, even if those 4 are pretty competent). But the final fights were decent.

Some thoughts on individual mans:

Tsutarja/Jalorda (smug snake starter, pure grass): Ended up dropping it. If it got decent status it'd be decent (high speed, decent defenses), but it doesn't and it doesn't have much in the way of attack moves available either. There're a couple of decent options for grass pokes anyhow (Monmen), whereas there's a comparative lack of fire and water options early on. Guess that's a common issue with grass starters, but I don't usually feel like I'd be actively better off with say, an oddish than a bulbasaur. D

Monkeys - there are three of these, fire/grass/water, and you get the one that's weak to your starter; they're rare but catchable too. It feels like good game design, though I didn't really end up using mine for long. Kinda dull, stats are nothing to write home about, stone evolutions always kinda bug me. C

Otamaro line (pure water tadpole -> water/earth frog): One of maybe two realistic choices for a non-starter non-monkey water-type. Pretty solid, though you're stuck with mud shot as an earth move until the aftergame (actually, I still don't have the earthquake TM, but I'm sure I'll turn it up soon. That or I just stupidly missed it somewhere). But decent, balanced stats in each of its three forms at each point of the game, plus the final stage subs out one of the stupid rain abilities for something pretty decent (poison hand, or something, contact moves sometimes inflict poison), access to #newimproved Drain Punch in the low 40s, too, which is a surprisingly useful option. Strangely doesn't get access to Waterfall, though, which is fucking annoying, albeit an aftergame concern. B

Moguryu -> Doryuzu (pure ground -> ground/steel mole): I was really excited about moguryu at first, but I ended up dropping it. Ground/steel leaves you with lots of defensive holes, there's a lot of ground and a lot of fighting in this game, and your def stats are awful to boot, so you don't really have the durability you might've wanted. That said, early Earthquake plus great attack and decent speed really ain't anything to complain about. Mostly I think I dropped it because the second stage is extraordinarily ugly (which is sad, 'cause I like the pre-evolution a lot aesthetically). B-

The candlestick from Beauty and the Beast (ghost-fire, three-stage evolution, final form via dusk stone, Hitomoshi to Shandera): Glass canon. Maybe plate glass, actually its defenses are fine, and ghosts always have a bit of tankiness; again, there's a lot of fighting in this game. First form is pretty garbage, but you get through it quickly enough and there's a dusk stone available at pretty much exactly the right time to go straight into the third form. All the decent fire moves, and Shadow Ball, are TMable and available early, so you totally do, and you really, really like the... christ, 145 Special Attack, which bulbapedia tells me is game best for a non-legendary. Yeah, totally excellent, anyhow. Ka-boom. Cool as shit too, so there's that. A-, mostly for the slow start.

Aaken -> Arkeos (rock/flying, two stage): Available very early as a fossil. Fantastic stats, but an ability that drops its attack when it's below half HP. Awesome sweeper, gets Acrobat early (55 power flying move, double if you're not holding an item), immediate TM access to Rock Slide (which ain't great but gets the job done) great attack and speed stats. Reasonable spread of high power off-type attacks available too. The hindering ability doesn't really come up much, and Arkeos is still fast and powerful enough that it can often get the job done anyways. Needs a better rock move, so call it an A.

Monmen -> Erufuun (grass cotton puff): Run-of-the-mill Grass status/drain thing. Has an ability that gives priority, a la quick attack, to non-damaging moves, which is pretty sweet. Lacks sleep powder, though I'm more of a paralysis fan anyhow. Not much to write home about otherwise, fast and decently durable, totally solid. B

Goddamn-punk-kids-get-off-my-lawn pokemans (fighting/dark reptile baggypants thing, Zuruggu -> Zurukin): Great type-combination, defenses are good enough that you don't hate the fighting weakness as much as in others, rocks out against a wide range of other things. Choice of two interesting abilities, either shed skin (chance to heal status at the end of every round) or overconfident (attack goes up a stage whenever you kill). Could use a bit more offense, but definitely solid. I ended up dropping it because A) Kojofu is cool, and B) overconfident gets annoying, the stupid animation goes off even at the end of a battle, but I'd say it's worth the time, particularly with Shed Skin. Oh, also C) the evolution's a bit dumb looking. B

Kung-fu ferret (pure fighting, kojofu -> kojondo): basically a high-offense badass. Available around the 7th gym, so late game, but gets pretty much immediate access to a bunch of cool moves, decent stats in its pre-evolution, awesome stats in its final form. Regeneration is a great ability, and it meshes well with U-Turn, which Kojofu learns at a reasonable level. Pure fighting's a bit limited, of course, but it gets the job done. Good timing on when it first arrives, too; it basically solos the ice gym from capture, at which point it's totally caught up on level. A

Monozu -> Sazhandora (dark/dragon pseudolegendary): easily available on Victory Road, so I thought I'd give it a try. Really a handicap before the aftergame, totally terrible before its final form at level 64 (when it switches Hustle, attack up accuracy down, for Levitate). Given that there's maybe 10-12 rare candies in the game, I guess you could evolve it reasonably right before the final fight without too too much grinding, but yeah. Again, lots of fighting pokemans in this game, so you really feel that weakness. It switches from atk to sp.atk primary with its final evolution, which is inconventient, and its move selection is actually relatively mediocre (without breeding shenanigans you're stuck with Dragon Pulse and... Crunch, maybe? Still rocks out, of course, once you get it going, but... probably not worth the trouble, I'd say. C

Final party was Erufuun/Arkeos/Jiheddo (second stage of Monozu)/Kojondo/Shandera/Gamagrog (final form of Otamaro). MVP for the game was definitely Aaken/Arkeos, probably for the final fights too though Kojondo gave it a run for its money.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 07:46:33 AM by Just Another Day »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: October 28, 2010, 05:35:57 AM »
New Vegas: So ultimately I went with a build geared towards perception/intelligence/agility, energy weapons/repair/science. I took the Wild Wasteland feature just for the hell of it. Don't think I've seen it kick in yet. I mean, there was one random moment on the road outside Goodsprings where a little confused Pipboy icon appeared in the upper left-hand corner of the screen, but I didn't see much going on to warrant it. There was...a tumbleweed in front of me. And a corpse with a snazzy 1920's gambler's hat. Maybe I was looking the wrong direction. Sure happens often enough when people are shooting me, despite the compass.

Mostly just wandering around after doing Goodsprings stuff. Walked into Hidden Valley but ewww centaurs, later. Walked up past Sloan because hey deathclaws, the ones in Fallout 2 were decent, maybe these ones will--fssk oh god my face, my unremarkable face! So also later. Ran to Mojave Outpost, picked up a bunch of sidequests instead.

Boom headshot is generally a winning battle plan. Dynamite reserved for things with no head.

What, you didn't notice the corpse with the hat was inside a fridge?

But yeah, the WW jokes are a little more low-key than the blatancy of FO2's. Like the NCR emergency radio responding to your call with "Bravo Bravo Charlie, The Doctor is on his way."

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: October 28, 2010, 06:02:11 AM »
Godhand stage 4: 72 continues, but I beat Dr. Ion without using roulette wheel, so that's cool, anyway.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: October 28, 2010, 06:43:05 AM »
BBS: Almost done Terra's story. Hunting down Reports and then going to the last stage to finish. Ven's story is up next.

Banjo Kazooie: Finally found the cartridge I bought like 3 years ago. Also, the cartridge finally decided to work! Hurray. I always loved this game more than the sequel. Pretty much 95% done. Only final battle, 3 notes and 2 empty honeycomb pieces left anyway. I may or may not try to dig and find out where they are. Worth noting that I lost more health in the last level (Click Clock Woods) than all the other levels combined due to fall damage. I'm pretty sure I took enough to kill me 5 times over. Thankfully that stage has a lot of health.

Castle Crashers: Played this at a friend's with 3 other people. Fun stuff. Not as fun alone but so it goes. At the last stage (or what I presume to be). Have to kill 4 bosses before moving on and I died to the third one because his minions take out too much of my health :/

Scott Pilgrim: Played this too! Not as fun as Castle Crashers, but not bad by any means. Anyway I suck. Do you restart at level 1 when you run out of lives? Or how does this work?
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: October 28, 2010, 12:22:26 PM »
Fallout: New Vegas - Did Vault 11.  Rob is right.  Also I can say that what happens is likely what actually would for at least a long while Milgrim experiments and Zimbardo stuff being the classic thing to quote here again.[/quote]

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: October 28, 2010, 04:16:07 PM »
Scott Pilgrim: Played this too! Not as fun as Castle Crashers, but not bad by any means. Anyway I suck. Do you restart at level 1 when you run out of lives? Or how does this work?

Nope, you're just kicked back to the world map and the beginning of the stage you were on. You always keep the levels and stats until you choose to revert the character back to Level 1 in one of the menus.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: October 28, 2010, 08:58:56 PM »

I noticed. A corpse in a fridge isn't all that strange by the standards of a post-nuclear wasteland, is all. It was a pretty rad hat, though. I wear it for style points when I don't need to worry about armor.

So how many of the bajillion-and-one items strewn about New Vegas's world are actually worth caring about? Some of the random crap you can pick up I assume goes into some manner of item creation at some point, but it's hard to be sure what might be useful in advance. I sell most of what I find that doesn't have an obvious use for offense/defense/healing (barring occasional unique items, which get stored--motorcycle parts, for example, lead me to believe one can be constructed later).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:03:42 PM by El Cideon »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4065 on: October 28, 2010, 09:39:13 PM »

I noticed. A corpse in a fridge isn't all that strange by the standards of a post-nuclear wasteland, is all. It was a pretty rad hat, though. I wear it for style points when I don't need to worry about armor.

So how many of the bajillion-and-one items strewn about New Vegas's world are actually worth caring about? Some of the random crap you can pick up I assume goes into some manner of item creation at some point, but it's hard to be sure what might be useful in advance. I sell most of what I find that doesn't have an obvious use for offense/defense/healing (barring occasional unique items, which get stored--motorcycle parts, for example, lead me to believe one can be constructed later).

A lot of stuff is junk. Some of it is used in item creation- I'd check the crafting benches to see what you need. Off the top of my head I know that a wrench, some scrap metal and scrap electronics, and duct tape make a weapon repair kit, and a Xander root, a Broc flower and an empty hypo make a stim (thank you, Myron).

Also, Gref: was not the congratulatory message amazing?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:41:20 PM by Rob the Stampede »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: October 28, 2010, 10:19:18 PM »
Yes, yes it was.  Can see why it ultimately ends the way it does.  The loud noises as the walls open up is perfect as well.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: October 28, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »
El Cid: Regarding the motorcycle parts, no you can't build a motorcycle. The tank and handbrake were parts of a creatable weapon called the Shishkabob, the best melee weapon in Fallout 3. While the weapon is still available in game in stores at Hoover Dam, nobody's found the schematics yet so you can't make your own. Regarding the fridge hat - "Crystal Skull".

Rob: As great as Vault 11 is (and believe me, it is great), my personal favorite section so far is Sunset Sarsparilla HQ.

Fallout NV: Nearing the end of the quests I can do before finding Benny. I'm now a knight, a deputy, a courier, an egg collector (and fertilizer IYKWIM), a chronic gambler, and a graverobber.

Punch-Out Wii: Cleared everyone in normal mode and unlocked Title Defense. Glass Joe...  :o

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: October 29, 2010, 02:41:58 AM »
You should go find Benny. You get to meet one of my favorite NPCs and the bad guy.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: October 29, 2010, 06:32:36 AM »
Banjo Kazooie: Finished. Game's still fun (it's a 7-8/10 for me), some of the stages are generic, but others are pretty neat. I love the last two levels (Rusty Bucket Bay, Click Clock Woods) if only because the atmosphere/level design is great. Probably not going back to find the three notes for now anyway. Grunty's Furnance Fun is always neat (Yo dawg, i herd u liek gamez, so i put a game in ur game so u can play while you play); learned a few tricks from reading some of the speed running discussion and finished that pretty quick. Final battle was surprisingly harder than I remembered. I know I had trouble aiming the damn eggs in the last phase of the battle, but neither time was what cause a reset! Both resets were caused from diving off the damn stage. I hate that air attack.

Scott Pilgrim - Also finished on Normal difficutly. Hard and Very Hard remain. Final level was way too long (specifically the portion with the techno space) and definitely a nail biter. I won the last level with 12 HP left on my last life. The bosses for the most part weren't too bad (since its usually 1 on 1). The randoms on the other hand...some of them packed a shit load of damage. Especially the beavers. Good god those beavers are insane >_>. Some of the grunts are pretty strong (the one wearing a snowhat, is quite notable for racking up damage quick) but they were not as annoying as the beavers. Thankfully the beavers appear only in one place. Most of the game was won with Jump attack --> Power attack --> Chase with jump attack and possibly juggle with some jabs if not surrounded.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: October 29, 2010, 12:24:47 PM »
Ninja Gaiden: Caves. So. Many. Fucking. OGRES. I think this is the biggest upgrade the game's gotten from Normal. Forget early Black Spider Ninja, bosses with mook support or having to gather scarabs just to get he Izuna Drop. These guys are assholes, they take forever to kill, have ridiculous reach, and they're everywhere in the magma cave. Anyplace a mini-dragon was, there's an ogre now. PAIN.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 01:58:01 PM by Shale »
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: October 29, 2010, 01:27:55 PM »
Ahhh, right, Doma. I didn't make that connection because really the movie's something I try not to think about in general. The WW easter egg in Nipton, now? That got a good laugh. A wholly inappropriate laugh given the circumstances, but still.

Was up way too goddamn late playing this last night. It's always, "Well, I'll just see what's over this next hill and then stop," and then only the first half happens. Recruited 1x robot, 1x Boone, have some ghouls to kill now.

The Incinerator is unfair.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: October 29, 2010, 03:01:06 PM »
Fallout NV - Spent most of the night working through getting This Machine because I have a soft spot for the M1 Garand and I wanted one.  So this game has 2 of my favourite fire arms from other games, .223 pistol from Fallout and Fallout 2 and M1 Garand from countless WW1 and 2 shooters, this time labeld That Gun and This Machine respectively, this pleases me.

Spent some time starting to work my way through Vault 34 and got a good ways in and realised how deep this place could be, my last save was a quick save near the start and I had no Rad Away, so just played it safe and loaded and went away.  Jurry Rigging makes the durability system far less annoying, but still stupid bullshit that didn't need to be there (WEAPONS DEGRADE SO FUCKING FAST.  I know SMGs are high maintenance weapons, these things you can fire off like half a clip and there is appreciable durability loss though.  They are not -that- poor quality).  This is especially egregious considering a large portion of the fire arms in the area are ostensibly from the Gun Runners who machine and distribute their products locally on a fairly large scale, this area should frankly be swimming in quality fire arms instead of everything snapping in half because you fired 4 rounds.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: October 29, 2010, 03:54:08 PM »
Have you tried loading up FOOK2 NV?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: October 29, 2010, 03:58:16 PM »
Maybe if I could be arsed with a second play soon enough