Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 358681 times)

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #4075 on: October 29, 2010, 07:19:37 PM »
Added SMT: Strange Journey to my list of games in-progress. Got done with the first real mission. Neat little game so far, but I've heard the maps get pretty BS so I'll probably be on GameFAQs a bit once I really get into it.

Is Law in this game Lawful Stupid, or are the alignments less crazy in general?
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Taishyr

« Reply #4076 on: October 29, 2010, 07:25:21 PM »
All sides are _____ Stupid. It just depends on which stupid you think is best, honestly.

EDIT: Though your main becomes _____ Dickish on any path but Neutral, thinking on it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 07:27:31 PM by Taitoro »

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: October 29, 2010, 08:24:19 PM »
New Vegas: Finally got around to meeting Benny after 50 hours, so obviously the next logical step was to rush through the next two hours and beat the game - NCR ending. I have a save right before Benny so I'll get to go through the other endings.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: October 29, 2010, 09:28:24 PM »
All sides are _____ Stupid. It just depends on which stupid you think is best, honestly.

EDIT: Though your main becomes _____ Dickish on any path but Neutral, thinking on it.

Damn you SMT.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: October 29, 2010, 09:36:07 PM »
You expect anything else from SMT?
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4080 on: October 29, 2010, 09:38:36 PM »
You expect anything else from SMT?

Timesink?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: October 29, 2010, 09:39:30 PM »
That relates to quality?

Taishyr

« Reply #4082 on: October 29, 2010, 10:16:51 PM »
Well, arguably the main is also Neutral Dickish on the Neutral path, but uh it takes a rather hard twist to interpret it that way.

EDIT: And frankly the Neutral ending is probably the least logical, oddly. (Not in terms of how you get it, but just what happens.)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: October 29, 2010, 11:20:53 PM »
Saga Frontier - Beat T260G's quest. GenocideHeart was pretty tough! Otherwise whatevs. Used 3 mecs + a monster + a swordsman (Emelia), worked decently. Mecs are pretty cool but they have some pretty big flaws (the main one being Repair Kits sucking); in general, 3 is certainly more than I'd like to use on a normal playthrough. Monsters... are what they are. Cotton had a pretty good stretch midgame but in order to be competitive endgame, you have to get some pretty darn rare absorbs. Bleh to that.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - Weakest Weapons Only playthrough. Got this idea from some madness in chat a few months back. Anyway, da rulez:

-Characters can only use their weakest available weapon (lowest might). If there's a tie, they can choose. For most of the game this means Bronze weapons, basic tomes, etc., though in early part 1/2/3 this means the weakest weapons available. For characters who join in the middle of a map (e.g. Tormod) they can use the weakest weapon they have (e.g. Fire instead of Thunder) but this must be remedied after the map ends.

-Since knives are the weakest weapon class, all knives are legal. Yesz, knife-user hype.

-The weakest laguz weapon is the raven beak (Nealuchi/Vika) so they are the only two laguz who can use their weapons. Other laguz must only be used for utility (shove, rescue, drawing indirect attacks, etc.).

-No forged weapons, except knives. No Master Crowns as they give early access to mastery skills, some of which undermine the challenge a little (Bronze Lance Luna still OHKOs, etc.).

-Normal Mode because FE10 HM is lamesauce.

Anyway I am up to 1-8. Hardest map so far is 1-7. The first three maps are barely different than normal, 1-3 is a bit notable because of a lack of Thani and the Steel weapons you're picking up. 1-4 is where physical non-Sothe offence really goes down the tubes, fortunately 1-4 is a bit of a joke, and I've somehow managed since then.

Leo is LVP, does like no damage. Ed isn't much better. Meg at least can kinda take a hit. All suck. Nolan is getting kinda RNG screwed, so Aran is probably the best non-prepromo physical unit. Or maybe Jill. Still using all three though, as well as all the prepromos and Laura. Volug is not LVP somehow just because of his tank/shove/rescue/move everywhere build which is still better than Leo and possibly Ed. Fiona shouldn't even have to be mentioned. Mages are improved since Thunder/Light isn't nearly as bad as a bronze weapon relatively (-2 instead of -6 from an optimum power non-forge), and Ilyana is actually kinda decent. Micaiah's even better despite the lack of Thani; she sorta plays her usual role as she still 2HKOs armours and nobody else comes close, except Tormod and of course Tauroneo. Sothe is overall MVP so far which is the least shocking thing ever.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: October 29, 2010, 11:27:38 PM »
Are you going to be relying on uberguests at all for the dawn brigade chapters, or are they banned too?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4085 on: October 29, 2010, 11:31:55 PM »
New Vegas: Finally got around to meeting Benny after 50 hours, so obviously the next logical step was to rush through the next two hours and beat the game - NCR ending. I have a save right before Benny so I'll get to go through the other endings.

if you want to run through endings a little quicker, you actually don't have to choose a side until each faction's second to last mission if you play it right.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: October 30, 2010, 01:18:44 AM »
Are you going to be relying on uberguests at all for the dawn brigade chapters, or are they banned too?

Nailah can do what Volug does + Glare things.

BK is fine but he has to use a bronze weapons.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: October 30, 2010, 01:26:51 AM »
New Vegas: Liberated Nelson by just walking in and shooting everyone in Legion armor. Of course, since I didn't go along with ranger's plan, he's now stuck with that event flag incomplete even though every NCR jarhead all over Nevada immediately knows what happened. And the radio says the NCR did it, of course. Bah! They just sat there and watched, same as with Primm (in fact, they made it harder for me in Primm by mining the bridge into town; not real sure why every NPC in the world is saying Primm sided with the NCR, since I only talked to the NCR to get Meyers pardoned and then turned the town over to him. Propaganda!)

Boone is completely unfair and gamebreaking. Between him and ED-E, half the enemies get fragged before my MC can even sight them. So naturally the first thing I did was abuse this to clear the road north of Goodsprings of those damned cazadors (the MC couldn't handle them alone) and go exploring around Vegas instead of following directions to Boulder City or wherever.

Oh, do allies have to worry about radiation? I would assume so, but they also get right back up after being KO'd in a fight, so I suppose they could ignore lethal radiation too. Relevant since I left places like Camp Searchlight and Vault 34 behind; now have good radiation protection for the MC (by way of spacesuit) but not sure it would be safe for companions to venture there (well, I'd assume ED-E doesn't care. I might leave Boone behind anyway--ED-E is merely helpful, but Boone does like 75% of the work in a fight).

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: October 30, 2010, 02:18:38 AM »
Final Fight 3: Spontaneously decided to DL this when I realized it was on the VLC, given that I never played it but played the first two, and it was relatively cheap.  Its...a significant step up from the first two games just in terms of what it lets you do!  Its funny how the game can be summed up as "Mike Haggar and Guy return to beat up thugs, alongside 2 generic nobodies that no one is ever going to use"
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: October 30, 2010, 02:37:33 AM »
HEY, Lucia is pretty good gameplay-wise! Dean um yeah.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: October 30, 2010, 04:07:55 AM »
Added SMT: Strange Journey to my list of games in-progress. Got done with the first real mission. Neat little game so far, but I've heard the maps get pretty BS so I'll probably be on GameFAQs a bit once I really get into it.

Is Law in this game Lawful Stupid, or are the alignments less crazy in general?

Well, it really doesn't hurt to see YHWH finally win for once and conduct genocide on all opposition. This is like the first time he ever get his goodies.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: October 30, 2010, 04:25:46 AM »
Must be his brother or something
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: October 30, 2010, 04:49:44 AM »
New Vegas: Liberated Nelson by just walking in and shooting everyone in Legion armor. Of course, since I didn't go along with ranger's plan, he's now stuck with that event flag incomplete even though every NCR jarhead all over Nevada immediately knows what happened. And the radio says the NCR did it, of course. Bah! They just sat there and watched, same as with Primm (in fact, they made it harder for me in Primm by mining the bridge into town; not real sure why every NPC in the world is saying Primm sided with the NCR, since I only talked to the NCR to get Meyers pardoned and then turned the town over to him. Propaganda!)

Boone is completely unfair and gamebreaking. Between him and ED-E, half the enemies get fragged before my MC can even sight them. So naturally the first thing I did was abuse this to clear the road north of Goodsprings of those damned cazadors (the MC couldn't handle them alone) and go exploring around Vegas instead of following directions to Boulder City or wherever.

Oh, do allies have to worry about radiation? I would assume so, but they also get right back up after being KO'd in a fight, so I suppose they could ignore lethal radiation too. Relevant since I left places like Camp Searchlight and Vault 34 behind; now have good radiation protection for the MC (by way of spacesuit) but not sure it would be safe for companions to venture there (well, I'd assume ED-E doesn't care. I might leave Boone behind anyway--ED-E is merely helpful, but Boone does like 75% of the work in a fight).

NPCs don't take radiation. It's a holdover from FO3's setup.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: October 30, 2010, 06:57:16 AM »
NPCs seem to generally be immortal bodyguards that know no fear.  If I get around to a third (?) play through I will do it high charisma with sod all combat skills and just let me personal army destroy things.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: October 30, 2010, 08:44:19 AM »
video games

Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena-Exactly what it promises. A quick, well-polished quasi stealth game with a fluff plot. The melee combat is fun and feels very physical, gunplay is generic as hell, AI is none too bright, and it's over well before it outstays its welcome. Just the sort of light, fluffy action piece I was looking for. I may possibly be giving it a break for some of its flaws due to the fact that after FF13 this game was like a cool breeze on a hot summer day.

Fable 2-I went into this game with rock-bottom expectations, but actually I quite liked it. The combat was solid, you got a dog to play fetch with, the plot could be quite funny at times, the real estate/money making stuff was addicting, most of the sidequesty stuff was fun to do, etc. The beginning is a little slow but things pick up pretty fast and you're left to your own devices soon enough. Getting Married/Having a kid was done pretty well and made certain..scenes have impact. Unfortunately the game glitched out on me so my wife wound up divorcing me and dying even though she was rated "Very Happy" in all categories. Of course Peter Molyneaux gives you the cutscene equivalent of a punch to the face anyway. Actually made me interested in Fable 3, which I did not expect.

Nier-A solid hack and slash type game. Combat was averagish, mostly just beating up loads and loads of monsters. The crafting system is broken, I got a spear from some quest and fully upgraded it insta-killed basically every mook without armor and killed the remaining bosses in no more than 3 minutes, tops. The music is amazing stuff. It also has a likable, interesting cast which was a pleasant surprise. My only complaints are the obnoxious amounts of grinding required to fulfill some sidequests, but it's not like you have to do those or anything.

Red Dead Redemption-Actually just finished this tonight. Impressive game. Pretty much the only game that made the wild west setting really come alive (no Wild ARMs does not count). The art direction was fantastic, the setting is spot-on, it's all great. Gameplay is pretty good too. Gunplay is probably a little too easy with Deadeye, but they do throw a lot of people at you and you're fairly frail so it's not like you don't need it. The main mission quest is good fun and never really seems to get dull, side-missions are fine for the most part. The challenges and stuff are a lot of grinding bullshit but it's not like you have to do them unless you want 100%. There's so much shit to do and see that the game never gets old. I did eventually get tired of the same old random missions though, but since just riding past them to wherever you're going doesn't penalize you it doesn't matter too much. Story/characters are good enough, nothing mindblowing but still enough to keep me interested. I dunno if it's the best game Rockstar has ever done, but it's damn close.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4095 on: October 30, 2010, 05:18:50 PM »
Civ2- Blame the Ciddy. In like 2500 BC, just exploring and figuring things out.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: October 30, 2010, 06:19:27 PM »
NPCs seem to generally be immortal bodyguards that know no fear.  If I get around to a third (?) play through I will do it high charisma with sod all combat skills and just let me personal army destroy things.

That's exactly why I don't use Boone, btw.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: October 30, 2010, 06:56:37 PM »
Dawn of Heroes:  Finished sixth zone.  I have no idea what to do against the final boss.  May go grind some more money and see if characters I haven't unlocked yet have some tricks to deal with him.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: October 30, 2010, 08:23:41 PM »
Was out of the country for a bit to do some army related things so I've not been posting any progress but i'm back now.

Fallout NV Hardcore mode - Energy weapons and Melee are my main combat stats. Energy weapons are still shit at the start because the Laser/plasma pistol you get early on is rubbish, however after buying a few mods and raiding the Van Grafts of all their weapons I now have a good stock of cutting edge laser weapons.
Its true they're better in NV then FO3 but it involves going all the way to NV as soon as possible to raid some weapons.

In Hardcore mode guests are actually killable so I've not been bopping about with them too much. The flying robot is rubbish, the dog slightly better, Boone is godlike with that sniper, BOS women is okay, Raul has a pretty sweet ability but is crap in combat, Cass I killed off because I didn't give a shit and the Van Grafts pay well.

Also is it just me or do you get a lot more booty in this one? I've been drilled up the ass by a sexbot twice now after assuming the position and I've got some lesbo sex out of a women in a deal with her. I've also tried to have an S&M session with the ghoul cowgirl but sadly my game seems to be glitched or something and she never goes upstairs. Speaking of glitchs this game freezes a lot and the lag at times is horrendus but overall its a much better game. Hardcore mode is a great feature and I'm actually role playing instead of being a super Munchkin like in FO3.

I wouldn't say the side themselves are stupid. The big man himself for example is not a dick in this like people say. I think he is much like in DS in that he is happy whatever outcome happens as long as Lucy/chaos hero/dickhead of the week don't win but if his minions win and brainwash massive amounts of people to worship him then so be it. The stupid lays in the heroes of the factions who are always so extream that you just can't agree with them.

Law Hero is always about mass brainwashing which is getting old at this point but they took it to new levels here with the sheer dickheadness of it. Chaos hero is actually somewhat good at first as he shows emotions besides wanting to kill everything and he hated the brainwashing used by the law hero which is understandable. Then he himself brainwashs loads of people... EPIC FAIL!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 08:45:52 PM by Rozalia »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: October 30, 2010, 10:34:42 PM »
If you want SMT law and chaos options that aren't stupid, there's always Devil Summoner 2, just sayin'.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!