Register

Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 356696 times)

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #4150 on: November 04, 2010, 05:28:24 PM »
Started barreling through Alter Code F.  Gatling Raid is fun times.

Places made jokes thanks to Gatling Raid:

Volcannon Trap.
Court Seim.
Barrier Shelter.

Plot just opened up the Photosphere for me, and I'm still as obsessive as ever about gardening.  I've gotten to the point where I Analyze one of each monster in an area, and then cancel all further encounters.

This might have resulted in me being a bit underleveled.  Just starting to go after the Photosphere.  Jack and Cecilia are level 28, Rudy is 29.  Putting FP Advance on Rudy usually means bosses get one-rounded.  Tempted to go back and farm Trolls for the Fast Draw XP.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: November 04, 2010, 05:38:31 PM »
EDIT:  I seem to be finding this game harder than other people have mentioned.  *looks at Dune's levels*  Geez, no wonder.  He was level 40 for Gades, my highest character was level 20 for that fight.  Makes quite a difference in the challenge of the game if you don't grind.

The game's difficulty is inversely related to your Mystic Stone Board usage. If you don't use it at all you will find the game challenging. If you do use it and use it wisely then smash happens in a big way.My suggestion is to stack all the Str+ stuff to one character and all the Int+ stuff to Selan. That way you have one physical damage dealer/physical tank and Selan has awesome magic damage through her C. Atk while being a magic tank.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: November 04, 2010, 10:30:06 PM »
I have been doing that actually.  Selan's ice pretty much OHKOs randoms even at my levels.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: November 05, 2010, 12:19:40 AM »
Final Fight 3: Beat the game using Guy w/ a Lucia AI partner on Easy Mode.  Why?

I was curious to see what at least one of the "Generic 90s Characters Nobody Cares About" looked like in battle, but didn't care enough to play as them!  Also, was curious about how the AI worked...

All I can say is, when I replay this game as Haggar (how can I NOT?), I am totally doing it solo, unless I have a HUMAN partner.

Why didn't I use Haggar initially?  Cause Guy's easier to use, and wanted to get through the game once with more familiarity, where as Haggar...well, getting my ass kicked a bit in STAGE 1 IN FINAL FIGHT 1 (the demo) with him really showed I'm off my game.  Also, he's not Dean <_<

Anyway, good classic beat em up that I missed when it was on the SNES, nice to finally play it.  Not much else to say.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:23:16 AM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: November 05, 2010, 12:37:39 AM »
New Vegas: Brotherhood of Steel stuff. Most of which I'd already done, outside of Nellis and Vault 11. Vault 11...Was doing that really supposed to make the House Always Wins quest autofail? I don't see any obvious reason it should, but surviving the battle (the horrible, horrible robot battle) does seem to flag that quest as failed. At first I thought there was just some time limit attached to meeting House and I'd slacked off too long, so I reloaded just before the Vault 11 finale, went to talk to him, came back and did the fight again. Again, though, quest failed after the fight, so it's definitely a causal connection. I'm just not sure why. Unless I fail at recognizing timbre and that was House's voice on the congratulation recording. All of this does make me remember a file from one of the earlier games talking about the vaults being set up with differing handicaps on purpose, though. Had forgotten that bit. Actually wanted to go back and reread to see exactly where I found that to make sure it's not just part of my imagination, but Fallout 2 mysteriously doesn't work anymore.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:46:49 AM by El Cideon »

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4155 on: November 05, 2010, 01:19:06 AM »
I couldn't resist. I bough the new Lufia Ds game.

I must say they seemed to have trimmed up the story quite a bit!

They added a whole bunch of dungeons and plots together in the early part of the game. Plus they seem to like to re-visit a lot of the older dungeons.

I just got Dekar, and I always pronounced it "Dee-kar", oh well. I also mis-pronounced Gades' name too.

I don't see why no one likes Dekar. He is just like Maxim and that is a good thing, because Maxim is the only fighter I enjoy using in fights.

Selan gets locked up in combos too easily, but I will confess I haven't used her much except for that one dungeon she is required. Tia is ok. Guy is horrible. I can't stand his slow ass.

Two Maxims are better then one I always say.

~

Oh yeah, I am also plaing Deathspank because it is on my PS3 and hey, free games are fun! It's generic and funny, but I do enjoy spanking me some death every now and then. If only i would remember to block or care to block for the matter I wouldn't die so much!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 01:24:36 AM by Scar »
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4156 on: November 05, 2010, 01:39:57 AM »
New Vegas: Brotherhood of Steel stuff. Most of which I'd already done, outside of Nellis and Vault 11. Vault 11...Was doing that really supposed to make the House Always Wins quest autofail? I don't see any obvious reason it should, but surviving the battle (the horrible, horrible robot battle) does seem to flag that quest as failed. At first I thought there was just some time limit attached to meeting House and I'd slacked off too long, so I reloaded just before the Vault 11 finale, went to talk to him, came back and did the fight again. Again, though, quest failed after the fight, so it's definitely a causal connection. I'm just not sure why. Unless I fail at recognizing timbre and that was House's voice on the congratulation recording. All of this does make me remember a file from one of the earlier games talking about the vaults being set up with differing handicaps on purpose, though. Had forgotten that bit. Actually wanted to go back and reread to see exactly where I found that to make sure it's not just part of my imagination, but Fallout 2 mysteriously doesn't work anymore.

The turrets are mistakenly flagged as part of the Vault 38 faction. You can either stealth-kill them or console-kill them. Supposedly it will be fixed next patch, but I think there's also a mod out there, "collected bugfix mod" or somesuch, that solves it.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #4157 on: November 05, 2010, 02:52:08 AM »
Wait wait, since when is the sister of a Bro off-limits?

Are you saying your sister's on-limits?

My sister's a lesbian, so you're welcome to try.

Djinn's sister and mother were never off-limits, as the Bro Code, much like the Ares Conventions, only protects those who abide by it. It's like the mutually-assured destruction principle.

It amuses me that this is the first time I've ever been accused of, essentially, "not being enough of a Bro."

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: November 05, 2010, 04:13:15 AM »
I would chalk that up to the much lower standards for Brodom over there. You may be a Bro by their standards, but that's a lot like being the best player on a High School team and then going straight to the pros.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: November 05, 2010, 04:27:46 AM »
New Vegas - Have started up a character, but haven't had much time to play thus far. Am bumming around Goodsprings getting to know people and deciding how to handle this Ringo situation.

Tagged Science, Repair, and Speech to start. Chosen traits were Good Natured and Four-Eyes. Upon hitting Level 2, I chose Confirmed Bachelor.

I'm having fun with this character already.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: November 05, 2010, 08:25:53 AM »
Nice to know some things never change with you man.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: November 05, 2010, 02:17:40 PM »
*watches GSL Ro4 results*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: November 05, 2010, 02:22:36 PM »
I miss you too, Gref. C'mon, let's hug it out.

DA: Origins; Awakening - Also played this recently. Did anyone else, around these parts? A pretty entertaining way to spend ~15 hours, but not the most entertaining. Played through on Nightmare with my imported Dwarf Rogue, and destroyed basically everything without breaking a sweat. One exception was the final boss, which caught me a bit off guard by killing the rest of my party in twenty seconds. Then my Dwarf soloed it. Woohoo for rogues.

It would be a significantly better game if more care had been taken with your party members. They were pretty uniformly boring. Story was also not much to speak of, but: Bioware. I'm used to getting some good characters from those guys, at least. I liked the Architect, though?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 02:25:11 PM by Strago »

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
Now with 100% more posted in the right thread.
« Reply #4163 on: November 05, 2010, 05:22:28 PM »
ToV - Poopin' around the Heracles. The Schwann fight was pretty cool, a little challenging but in the fun way. Heracles is also the first FUCK YOU TALES dungeon in the game and it's taken this long, so I'm pretty impressed - and it's still not nearly as bad as a lot of prior games' dungeons.

Rita is starting to get her really good skills like Magic Combo, now to figure out which Altered Artes to tag her with and see if controlling her kills shit faster.

And apparently, dropping Estelle and just having Karol and Raven using healing Strike Artes keeps you alive better later on, even if not having a healer feels like sacrilege to me in most RPGs. I like my traditional parties too much, I suppose.

Now, I'm at forty hours, and expecting a sixty hour game minimum... and since I don't know what the hell they're going to fill a whole ten to twenty hours more game with, I imagine this is the point where the pacing grinds to a complete halt.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: November 05, 2010, 07:03:40 PM »
*commissions Strago/Gref doujin*

Borderlands: Since 1.41 came out, I figured I'd get around to doing the Claptrap DLC. Cleared it in roughly 5 hours, though I don't have all the item drops and I used Gamebreaker McBoobsiren to play it. Probably the second-best DLC they had, behind General Knoxx.

Costume Quest: Played through and beat it in one day on the 30th. Was it worth ~$15? Eh, barely, I'm cheap. It's a good game, but replay value is nearly zero. If this is the quality we can expect from the other DF productions, I'll happily keep buying them.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: November 05, 2010, 09:53:37 PM »

DA: Origins; Awakening - Also played this recently. Did anyone else, around these parts? A pretty entertaining way to spend ~15 hours, but not the most entertaining. Played through on Nightmare with my imported Dwarf Rogue, and destroyed basically everything without breaking a sweat. One exception was the final boss, which caught me a bit off guard by killing the rest of my party in twenty seconds. Then my Dwarf soloed it. Woohoo for rogues.

It would be a significantly better game if more care had been taken with your party members. They were pretty uniformly boring. Story was also not much to speak of, but: Bioware. I'm used to getting some good characters from those guys, at least. I liked the Architect, though?

Yeah, characters were kind of a step down. But it did add some interesting new elements to DA, and it was fun, if extremely poorly balanced. Duelist/Assassin/Legionnaire Scout pretty much just took a bat to the whole campaign, and that was BEFORE I traded in Duncan's Sword for Vigilance (Starfall + Duncan's Sword = MURDER TRAIN).

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: Now with 100% more posted in the right thread.
« Reply #4166 on: November 05, 2010, 10:46:35 PM »
ToV - Now, I'm at forty hours, and expecting a sixty hour game minimum... and since I don't know what the hell they're going to fill a whole ten to twenty hours more game with, I imagine this is the point where the pacing grinds to a complete halt.

Actually, the rest of the plot isn't that bad.  There will not be any head-slappingly stupid moments a la TotA or ToS, at least, and the rest of the game really does follow what has gone on so far decently well.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: November 05, 2010, 11:47:58 PM »
The rest of the plot until the third act works well.  The last part doesn't grind to a halt, but it is pretty bad and totally unnecessary.  It is like someone heard the term three act plot and decided it meant they needed three exclusive plot archs which already happen to have a 3 three act plot.  They ran out of good ideas after 2 story archs.

Monkey played DA:O, I was waiting to finish my second play through to get to it, second replay has been a flurry of start/stopping around other games all year.  I think he and Rob were the only ones that had done it.  The other DLC is worth a look though Strago, mostly Leiliana's song being really nice.  Morrigan one does stuff I think most people were expecting in DA2, so yeah likely worth a look.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: November 06, 2010, 12:23:06 AM »

I think the fact that you couldn't choose one person from your old team to keep is what really soured the experience for me. Come on, give me back my precious, amazing Shale. (Or Wynne.)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: November 06, 2010, 03:49:35 AM »
There is that as well, especially considering more than one character has an ending that is all "Yo dawg lets go chill and be pimps together".

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4170 on: November 06, 2010, 04:52:36 PM »
Fallout: New Vegas - Finished.  NCR ending.  Kind of meh which was what I was expecting it to end up really.  The NCR are just kind of dull.  But hey awesome game and I had tons of fun.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: November 07, 2010, 05:13:49 AM »
Radiant Historia-  Stock is 19? Serious? He should at least be his late 20s. And Shimomura, your music is too good for this game.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: November 07, 2010, 05:54:57 AM »
Okami: Man like Richard said this looks pretty awes-

*PS2 dies*

Richard is this your fault
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: November 07, 2010, 07:00:00 AM »
When is it never RICHARD's fault?
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: November 07, 2010, 07:45:45 AM »
Fallout: New Vegas - Finished.  NCR ending.  Kind of meh which was what I was expecting it to end up really.  The NCR are just kind of dull.  But hey awesome game and I had tons of fun.

I've always felt it's hard to judge the NCR impartially because as a player, I am personally responsible for both their existence and their prosperity. I'd have sided with the NCR if Tandi was still alive, but of course she's not.