Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 355942 times)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #4225 on: November 13, 2010, 11:18:15 PM »
Also, Jack can't possibly have more health than Miranda, and she uses a fucking SHOTGUN. Course, shotguns in general are not that great in ME2 without DLC, except for Grunt's Claymore.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: November 14, 2010, 03:00:51 AM »
ToV: Have the whole party back together, yaaay.

Went and took on the Gigantos BRUTAL, and kinda died horribly the first time.

Then I decided to control Rita instead of Yuri and haha wow.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: November 14, 2010, 07:36:05 AM »
It could just be that, since I randomly pick my squaddies for missions, I've had Jack on some of the easier ones.

If I was running people who seemed to work the best with me, it'd probably be something like Thane/Mordin.

As for handling Armor, I'm running a dedicated Sniper, and as anyone who has played a shooter with me will tell you, I'm very good at that. Things with "armor" that aren't bosses lose that entire health bar with one shot. >Shrug<

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: November 14, 2010, 07:41:20 AM »
On harder difficulties everything has armour.  Everything.  Or shields.  You -have- to be able to handle both.  You are not one shotting things on harder difficulty.

Now lets all act shocked when I say this shifts the power dynamics fairly dramatically.

This shifts the power dynamics fairly dramatically.

*GASP*
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: November 14, 2010, 09:14:30 AM »
Armor, or shields, or barriers. Tough enemies like the YMIR bots get shield over armor over health. Or if you are a total bitch like the Asari from LotSB on Hardcore, barrier over shield over armor over health.

But yes, on Hardcore, even using the Widow AMR, anything that's even remotely non-trivial won't go down with a shot to the head.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4230 on: November 14, 2010, 01:04:38 PM »
This shifts the power dynamics fairly dramatically.

*GASP*

Lufia DS: I haz a Gades Sword.  Which is much worse than the Rune Rapier I already have.  :(

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: November 14, 2010, 02:39:51 PM »
I didn't say one shot killed the enemy. I said one shot ate through the entire "Armor" health bar. There are plenty of enemies on NORMAL that have three health bars. Unsurprisingly, they take about three shots.

Anyhow, what DOES Hardcore/Insanity change? Do enemies have more health? Are there more enemies? Is the AI generally smarter at killing you? Does it take longer to get your shields back up? All of the above?

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: November 14, 2010, 04:20:07 PM »
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare: I need to ask Trips for game advice more often.

Just switched over to the US's PoV. I am hilariously bad at the game, but it's a ton of fun and the setting/visuals are amazing.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: November 14, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »
Smarter, better defenses (so more health kind of), they hit harder.  It isn't more numbers, but those large numbers of enemy fights are now much harder when you have to handle things that rush you down far more effectively and take a lot more to put down.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: November 14, 2010, 11:17:42 PM »
FE10 - Final dungeon. Team, aside from the people who must be used, is:

Volke- Crit machine! I have never used him before so I decided to finally try him out. He's solid.
Ulki- Does not get hit. His damage is okay, I'm waiting for him to get to SS strike.
Volug: +45 avoid support is awesomesauce. 36 STR and 36 Speed is silly-faced. <3 Volug, of course.
Aran: He was ridiculously RNG blessed... speed capped at all three tiers pretty early, str and def caps as well. Total tank.
Zihark: Volug's buddy~ He's solid, just low defense and doesn't have Volug's HP.
Oscar: Avoid support with Ike. He's solid and canto-ey otherwise.
Mia: RNG blessed.
Jill: Absurdly RNG blessed.
Naliah: Is Naliah.
Elincia: Healer.

I tried to use Leo and Fiona but they were both RNG screwed; Fiona slightly and Leo hardcore (-3 STR, -4 Speed).
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: November 14, 2010, 11:29:03 PM »
Smarter, better defenses (so more health kind of), they hit harder.  It isn't more numbers, but those large numbers of enemy fights are now much harder when you have to handle things that rush you down far more effectively and take a lot more to put down.

Reduced CDs on enemy abilities, more enemies with special abilities, and standard enemies pile husks getting armor (making them amazingly dangerous, I might add).

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: November 15, 2010, 02:20:26 AM »
Oh, ew. The dedicated Melee enemies----I find Varren nastier than husks because I have a hard time seeing them in some places, mainly the different times they show up on Omega----deal a ridiculous amount of damage if they get through, and they also make you have to leave cover to avoid them. That alone would make the game a lot harder.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: November 15, 2010, 02:30:40 AM »
Radiant Historia- Beat this yesterday. I am still not believing Headlock actually wrote this thing.

The gameplay ends up to be pretty linear despite what they call the branching plot, as you cannot advance further in one story line unless you met some requirements in another. So things still has to be done in order. Though, how the two worlds affect one another remains interesting, albeit plot holish.

The battle system is traditional turn based system with the typical SMT difficulty with grids. Later grunt fights are like mini boss fights, and how you must use buff or is stupidly SMT like. Manipulating enemies' position on the grids ends up to be very important, it becomes the source of MT damage and ways to reduce enemy damage by pushing them to back row. High damage ST damage and MT is almost none existent in this game, the game really makes you do grid combos if you want any of those. It is not a bad system and a good thing the game makes use it. But it does gets frustrating with the increasing difficulty (enemies hitting too hard thus you have no opening to arrange a combo), but level grinding is easy , so that remedied some of problems.

The plot and characters is too goo to be Headlock. It has been a long time to see a war fought because of power and greed instead of some brain dead RPG logic, and a sympathetic villain with a motive the payers can relate too. The side quests is also handled very well by letting them pay off in the endings (or should I say the world depends on it, the continent is doomed if the ecologist quest is not completed).

Now, my spoilerish rants on the characters:

Stock- He is so NOT 19 years old. Too mature and too intelligent to be one. A professional intelligence worker/assassin who does what he needs to do and does it well. A bit of anti-social but not an ass. Is a captain who knows how use his man an protects them. He is also free from the "people do not notice it despite it is totally transparent" rule. It is pretty refreshing to see he has things all figured out in his head despite the people around him all goes MYSTERY on him, and only have that "I thought so" expression when the last boss makes the big revelation. God, he is free of all the qualities I hate in conventional JRPG main, you serious Headlock wrote this guy!?
His relationship with Roche and Sonia is also well done. He fits in as the oil to let the couple interact well and knock sense in to Roche when he needs to without being awkward. How he reciprocates to Rainey's romantic by firmly states he don't think the same way she does is also out of my expectation when I thought Rainey is the who'll get force fed to us by being Stock's romantic interest. (though, he did told her he'll rethink of her offer when everything is over and completed his duties). It is amazing how he continues to stay a loner until the end and not even once degrades into an ass.

Rainey- Stock's side kick 1. It obvious from the start she is a character got thrown in because Stock needs someone around him when the party gets swap around. Herself didn't have much content, but her interaction with stock has prevent from her become total air and adds to Stock's quality being a captain. The part where she conflicts between her loyalty toward Heis and Stock is a nice touch, if resolved too quickly. But then, I'd like that sort of plot line resolved fast instead of drawn out.

Marco- Stock's side kick 2. Is around for the same reason as Rainey, just didn't have as much of a content. The only time he ever did something is during that spy event, where he really made me go O.o by turning into a vengeful idiot.

Roche- Stock's buddy and a stubborn soldier. Had his spotlight wen he entered the depression after his squadron got wiped out and gave us one hotblooded moment this game need, or this game might get too depressed. His relationship with Sonia also served as good fodder for Stock, in that Stock has to give them the push they need. Also, he looks too old to be 21.

Sonia- See above, works well with Stock and Roche in a set. Too bad she has to fell out of the plot when the plot moves away from Alicetel. Though, I still suspect that she is meant to be a PC originally but got deleted due to hardware restriction. They could have taken out Marco and let Sonia be the healer of the team.

Eruca- A not quite Mary Sue princess who is trying to overthrow her stupid step mother. Not really a Mary Sue as she often acts on her impulses, and the bad ends can show us what happen if she gets too far. It is kinda funny to see her heavy responsibility as a princess is what kept her in control. They could have dug her relationship between Stock a bit deeper though. It quite obvious that she has been fighting in herself to get Stock involved or not and resisting her urges to tell him the truth, and thus limited there interaction. They could really have let Stock just told her that he already remembered what was going on and dug deeper from there. Also, they need to let her insult Protea more often, she is good at doing it.

Protea- The evil step mother who is so stupid and horrible to the point of being funny. I really pity Serban and Dias that they don't have any other pawns to chose but her.

Serban & Dias- the two is really one character. Both fueled by their vengeance against the Gran Org's royalties due to the Victor's tyranny and ultimately want to take over the country for their own thinking they are the better ruler. Too bad they have no pawns in the royal family but Protea, and she totally fucked the country up. Yet, they have to let Protea to stay on the throne if they want the war to go on and they need this war to win their authority. I was expecting them to change sides when their plans are not working, but it turns out they are just too blinded by their own ambition and goes down the path of self destruction.

Ath- Probably got tossed in because the game needs a loli, and like most lolis, she is stupidly annoy. Enough with your MYSTERY or your ways of trying to prevent it got revealed. A completely spoiled brat who just goes MEMEMEMEMEME in front of Stock.

Gafka- Is a Blute, thus boring, next.

Tio & Lipty- They kinda annoy me by being the bystander who'll not do a thing but mumbles about it is against the rule this and against the rule that if they are ever asked to do a thing despite telling Stock to save the world. Though, my impression son them got salvaged by the ecologist side quest, where it actually shows that they want to save the world is not just all talk. Then in the final chapter, when they almost got deleted from the system by acting against the rule and giving Stock too much information, made me forgive them for being rules that and rules this.

Heis- Big bad of the game, pulling strings behind the war in order to brought forth total destruction of the continent... just so he can save his nephew. He was chosen as Victor's sacrifice, but thanks to Victor being a tyrant, Heis gave up on his duty and fled. Having his own brother as an ungrateful tyrant made him felt are dying meaningless death for a corrupted royal family. Plus the fact the offering isn't really curing the deficiency of mana, meaning the offering is a lost cause and the sacrifices had died in vein. Ultimately he reached the conclusion that this continent that was built on the death of the sacrifices can fuck off, especially after he found out his favorite nephew is chosen as the next sacrifice. So he kidnapped his nephew, swapped his memory so he won't remember a thing about the offering, and let him starts a new life as his own subordinate in Alicetel, and hopefully Stock will too find out this continent suck and joins him in destroying it. Too bad that despite Stock agrees that the offering is fucked up, he still finds this world is worth saving thanks to the experience in his new life that Heis gave to him. The scene where Heis finally breaks down when Stock chose to die and thanks him for everything he did is just so very touching.

I give this game a 8.5/10, a solid game all around, if they can make the grunts easier and remove the annoy walking sound effect.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: November 15, 2010, 03:22:41 AM »
Chocobo: Just did Shirma's Nightmare and then did a side quest dungeon I didn't finish before.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: November 15, 2010, 03:31:48 AM »
Oh, ew. The dedicated Melee enemies----I find Varren nastier than husks because I have a hard time seeing them in some places, mainly the different times they show up on Omega----deal a ridiculous amount of damage if they get through, and they also make you have to leave cover to avoid them. That alone would make the game a lot harder.

Wait till you hit up the Derelict Reaper. Hordes of husks fro all directions, and this time concussion shot/shockwave/flashbang aren't all one-hit kills.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: November 15, 2010, 06:06:08 AM »
The battle system is traditional turn based system with the typical SMT difficulty with grids.

Not an ARPG?! And I'm sold on this game. Hopefully gets ported over (sans walking noise...)
...into the nightfall.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: November 15, 2010, 06:11:08 AM »
Dawn of Heroes: Found the town in the 5th Barony.  Game's been picking up in terms of interesting battles, which is always good.  Of course the annoying ones have gotten more so, but they're getting less common, I think.  Gear bonuses ramp up faster than I had expected, and it's showing with the lack of hammers I've been getting, although if I have to get screwed on getting one type of weapon, hammers would probably be the one I care least about.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: November 15, 2010, 08:00:49 AM »

Wait till you hit up the Derelict Reaper. Hordes of husks fro all directions, and this time concussion shot/shockwave/flashbang aren't all one-hit kills.

I'm not too worried. Nearly all of my deaths spring from hitting the generic Crouch/Run button when I'm next to cover, and instead of covering, my character decides to run pointlessly into the obstacle while being shot.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: November 15, 2010, 08:25:16 AM »
You will be.

You... WILL be.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: November 15, 2010, 08:58:32 AM »
Eh Derelict Reaper isn't so bad because of the Husks.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4245 on: November 15, 2010, 10:59:53 AM »
Guh? The last part is fucking crazy. Getting gang-raped by Husks?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: November 15, 2010, 11:29:32 AM »
On normal mode when you can just blast their legs out, yeah it isn't really much of an issue.  You can almost just punch your way through them there.  On normal the Scions are far more threatening.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: November 15, 2010, 12:15:21 PM »
Was talking about hardcore mode, actually. On normal they're a joke, so doing it as a class with shockwave is basically bowling. Possibly the least dangerous things on normal, but on HC, incredibly horrifying.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: November 15, 2010, 12:17:25 PM »
Indeed.  Very much so.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: November 15, 2010, 02:35:18 PM »
I dunno how tempted I am to try Hardcore. I'm almost certainly going to play each game at least three times, but as I said before, I have issues with the basic controls of combat which give me more fits than the missions themselves do, at least in ME2 (which so far seems easier than ME1---although that could just me be getting used to the system----also, the AI is infinitely better.)

My kneejerk idea for dealing with swarms of Melee enemies is to either play as a Sentinel or take Mordin and flash-freeze things with Cryo Blast, but that'd be only a temporary solution....