Register

Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 355662 times)

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #4450 on: December 29, 2010, 05:40:05 AM »
Recettear: This game is full of tallychus. Just got the mage dude's card, so tried out a dungeon with him. Died, since it turns out he kinda sucks. Which is largely okay by me since he's a prick anyway~ Found some weird girl with a spear wandering around in a dungeon, kinda hoping I get either her or the thief girl soon. Thiiiink I'll make the third payment, not so sure if I'll manage the 4th though.

EO3: Floor 20 can blow me. Teleport bullshit AND sections that kill your automap? Oi. At least it's nice enough to give you plenty of shortcuts you can trigger once you muddle your way through the first time. Team is Yggdroid/Hoplite, Monk/Prince, Buccaneer/Gladiator, Zodiac/Hoplite, and Ninja/Monk. Ninja/Monk is clear MVP far and away no questions asked because Bunshin is stupid and Izuna makes randoms a whoooole lot easier.

Resonance of Rob: Just got this, played a bit. Fun so far at least! Hope it stays that way.

Golden Sun DS: Just got this as well. It's...Golden Sun. Now in DS form. Yeah, that's basically all there is to it. My Matthew is less constantly pissy and more manic-depressive, alternating between the super-hyper and emo responses just because it amuses me.

Bunch of random flash game shit on Kongregate: Blame the toro.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: December 29, 2010, 11:09:31 AM »
Finished Mass Effect, so here is my review.

+5 Voiced Main
+2 Creation Options
-4 Repititive Sidequesting
+11 Voice Acting In General
-9 Occasional Unintuitive Response Result
-113 Inventory
-99 Huge Number of Useless Items
+555 Tali'Zorah nar Rayya
-236 No Tali Romance
+256 Urdnot Wrex
+115 Joker
+52  Awesome Finale Sequence
-37 Long Sequences of Boring
-60 Feeling of Lower Amounts of Character Interaction
+32 Choices with Consequences
-111 PC Port Issues
+2 Music
+17 Fun Combat System
-1 Lower Level of Punchy Dialogue
-42 The MAKO
+15 The MAKO After I Figured It Out
-20 Attacks That Penetrate Shields

Final Score: 330
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 11:23:59 AM by AndrewRogue »

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: December 29, 2010, 05:35:40 PM »
Recettear: This game is full of tallychus. Just got the mage dude's card, so tried out a dungeon with him. Died, since it turns out he kinda sucks. Which is largely okay by me since he's a prick anyway~ Found some weird girl with a spear wandering around in a dungeon, kinda hoping I get either her or the thief girl soon. Thiiiink I'll make the third payment, not so sure if I'll manage the 4th though.

Mentioned this in chat already, but Caillou is actually really good, you just have to be careful and not take hits.  And/or buy him some new armor so he can take a few.  His third spell pretty much OHKOs anything except bosses, and against bosses he can just spam it until they're dead because they usually don't get knocked back much.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: December 29, 2010, 08:36:21 PM »
Bard: If you're using Akito, just make sure you keep on going Nadesico routes since that'll get you Gai Gaidoji back, which will open up the Double Gekigan Flare attack that will let him play keep up on the damage curve once you hit the endgame.

Alright, haven't had time to really move forward in SRWJ, but have got my grubby little paws on NHL11 (my most recent Hockey game before this being NHL98, so yay), with some other possible distractions in Fallout 3 and FF13.  Will comment more after I've done more than just done a lot of hockey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4454 on: December 29, 2010, 08:41:01 PM »
-236 No Tali Romance

Saved for the sequel.

Bardiche

« Reply #4455 on: December 29, 2010, 11:02:53 PM »
Bard: If you're using Akito, just make sure you keep on going Nadesico routes since that'll get you Gai Gaidoji back, which will open up the Double Gekigan Flare attack that will let him play keep up on the damage curve once you hit the endgame.

I am full-on Nadesico route. Next playthrough is either full-on Archangel or Great Zeorymer for cheese.

X Aestivalis is rather disappointing compared to the Lunar Frame.

Taishyr

« Reply #4456 on: December 30, 2010, 12:54:36 AM »
Grim Grimoire: Because Suikoden 2 gets to wait until my laptop is functioning. On 2-2, let's just get starte-WHATTHEGODDAMNFUCKITSADRAGON

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: December 30, 2010, 06:30:11 AM »
Alright, haven't had time to really move forward in SRWJ, but have got my grubby little paws on NHL11 (my most recent Hockey game before this being NHL98, so yay), with some other possible distractions in Fallout 3 and FF13.  Will comment more after I've done more than just done a lot of hockey.

Damnit. I just picked up NHL10.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: December 30, 2010, 08:28:32 AM »
Nier- just past the five year jump. I love this game.  Seriously, I haven't enjoyed a game with boring gameplay this much since like... PS:T?

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: December 30, 2010, 09:18:30 AM »
Shame to hear that we wound up with different versions. 

Fallout 3, got to Megaton after finishing off the nefarious Overseer.  Got the Black Widow perk since it gives conversation options, and have already used it to convince Blake to shove off.  After that, got the quest to stop the leaking pipes and a headache from motion sickness, so it's obvious I'm going to be going slow at this.

FF13, man, this game really does start off in the middle of the action.  So much so that Chapter 1 is finished, and I'm not entirely sure who any of these people are or why I should care about them yet.  That said, I'm liking the vibe Lightning and Sahz have going on right now.  Vanille, may be a lot more tolerable than her character type usually is.  Her introduction...  was like a gun-toting MC.  Hopefully, the narritive will eventually get out of this random action sequence.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: December 30, 2010, 01:56:10 PM »
Puzzle Quest: Just about finished. Very addictive game with a unique concept. I would have loved the game so much more if it didn't have random battles that kept popping up at the most annoying times, though.

Gameplay was fun and the writing definitely was amusing at points. Worth the money I paid for it.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: December 30, 2010, 02:06:05 PM »
Vanille will have another gun toting moment in C9 Excal =-) It is awesome sauce. Funny you should say that too because according to one of the FFXIII Ultimanias Square Enix actually considered making her the MC because of her significance in the story.

I would wait until the end of C6/C8 before really forming an opinion of her though because it explains a lot about her behaviour before then. All might not be as it seems! ;) 

Valkyrie Profile (Lenneth)- Started this. At the end of Phase One. Well I have my save before the last period. Have scouted ahead into the next phase a bit but I'm not really sure what I'm doing. Am I supposed to send Belanus, Jelanda or both to Freya? Jelanda has been quite useful for guard breaking so far =/
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: December 30, 2010, 02:14:48 PM »
You don't -need- to send anyone first chapter. Freya always tells you before the beginning of a new chapter what she wants in the Einherjar you send her, so jot that down and send a warrior that fulfills -all- the prereqs, preferrably at max level for the skills she wants.

That said, you can send either Belenus or Jelanda, since it improves the loot you'll get - no need to toss both into the mix. I usually send up Jelanda because you -often- (not always) get a mage in C2, usually Nanami. When you get Nanami, by the way, visit her house again in Hai-Lan so you get the "break randoms for the first half of the game" staff.

EDIT: Make sure their Hero Level is maxed before sending, though (max all traits with CP. Do -not- be afraid to use Experience Orb points for that, since only levelling up gives you any good CP - the game ain't stingy with them and you don't need the XP for your main party -at all-).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:17:02 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: December 30, 2010, 03:09:44 PM »
If you want to know anything at all about VP I highly reccomend http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/931113-valkyrie-profile-lenneth/faqs/12648 as Captain K does amazing work.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: December 30, 2010, 03:11:12 PM »
Mass Effect 2: Its pretty goddamn awesome.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: December 30, 2010, 03:18:13 PM »
If you want to know anything at all about VP I highly reccomend http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/931113-valkyrie-profile-lenneth/faqs/12648 as Captain K does amazing work.

I figured CT wouldn't want to -actually- FAQ, but if you're FAQing VP at all, you Captain K it.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: December 30, 2010, 05:40:39 PM »
And if you want the A ending, you know, the one with all the plot? You FAQ it. I love VP, but I have no idea how anyone just manages to stumble into the A ending without a guide.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: December 30, 2010, 06:04:56 PM »
I suspect Captain K was created exactly for the purpose of unobscuring A Ending. THAT SAID, I'd leave A Ending for a second playthrough.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: December 30, 2010, 06:14:41 PM »
Personally, for sendings and what not?

I wouldn't send Jelanda until you at least get Yumei and/or Nanami.  You ALWAYS want at least one mage in your team, and Jelanda's your only one for a little while (Nanami and Yumei can join as early as Chapter 2, and as late as Chapter 4, I wanna say?)

For sendings, you just need to fulfill as many reqs as Freya asks for that chapter.   If you can get one character who fulfills all the requirements, then you only need to send one.  You also do NOT need to fulfill all of Freya's requirements to get the majority of the benefits (probably just affects Materialize Points; getting the good gear just requires you fulfill a majority of them.)  Sending 2 characters up isn't a bad idea, of course, if you have characters to spare and don't plan on using them.

In Chap 1, send just one of Llewellyn or Belenus.  The only requirement is, IIRC, Hero Value, which you'll get if you max out their Personality traits, and that should get you the full benefits Freya gives you.  And if it doesn't...Chap 1-2 sacred phase rewards are pretty meager anyway <_< 
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: December 30, 2010, 06:17:56 PM »
Sending up two Einherjars is just a bad idea when you're in the chapters you need to fulfill the requirements for A Ending. However, you should just Captain K that.

Also, if you care about using Janus, wait until C3 to send up Llewellyn so you fulfill the Archer requirement. He sucks as a hero, though, so if you do that, you'll probably end up sending someone else along with him to make up for that. Janus is okay, but fighting over the good bows with Lenneth sucks.

kokushishin

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4470 on: December 30, 2010, 06:34:29 PM »
Shit, 170K already!? Matsuno must be dying of laughing so hard.

...How much did this game even sell the first time it came out?

500K, possibly more.

You seem to have forgotten about the   

PSX launch was indeed rather sad, and the SAT sold like well, Disgaea.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: December 30, 2010, 11:13:42 PM »
Woohoo, I'm a verb again.

Wish I had as much free time to work on FAQs like I did back in the VP days.  You should see how many ~75% completed FAQs I have on my computer that I've never submitted.

SO4:  Got what I presume is the final PC, at the cost of another.  Not sure if I like this change or not, but I'll give it a go.  Other than that still enjoying the game.  :P

Ultimate Genesis Collection:  Damn, lot of good stuff on here that I've never played before.  Go go Golden Axe Warrior for totally ripping off Zelda (but doing it right!).  Kid Chameleon may be the baddest dude on the planet.  And Shining Force is pretty cool, although permadeath combined with first boss doing OHKO damage isn't a good combination.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: December 30, 2010, 11:19:56 PM »
SO4:  Got what I presume is the final PC, at the cost of another.  Not sure if I like this change or not, but I'll give it a go.  Other than that still enjoying the game.  :P

He gets Dragon Roar. It is likely the game's best attack. Faize, on the other hand, is unquestionably the worst character in the game.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: December 30, 2010, 11:47:13 PM »
Ultimate Genesis Collection:  Damn, lot of good stuff on here that I've never played before.  Go go Golden Axe Warrior for totally ripping off Zelda (but doing it right!).  Kid Chameleon may be the baddest dude on the planet.  And Shining Force is pretty cool, although permadeath combined with first boss doing OHKO damage isn't a good combination.

Shining Force doesn't have permadeath. Once you get going, there'll be a priest in every town. If somebody died in the first battle, you can retreat from the second by having the MC run to the hut at the eastern edge of the map. Should be a priest in there, if memory serves (and a shittastic new recruit). Also make sure you talk to JOGURT.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: December 31, 2010, 12:07:43 AM »
Kid Chameleon may be the baddest dude on the planet. 

Woo! A new KC fan