Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 356012 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #525 on: January 29, 2010, 02:24:34 AM »
Sorry, I meant that I already have KotOR2, and it's an Xbox copy.  Started a file, finished the space station stuff on second planet and ready to hunt down my ship again, but more importantly I already spent money on it.  Exile IS Female/Lightside, though.  (reasoning: canon, same as Lightside/Male Revan)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #526 on: January 29, 2010, 02:42:44 AM »
NMH2- Fuck you, last boss. You are fucking impossible.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 29, 2010, 02:55:02 AM »
Actually he isn't, he's just got a dumb gimmick. Know when his life gets low, and he does an attack that rushes from one side of the room to the other? Hit him from the front and clash with him during it. You'll get a cutscene. Then you can proceed as normal. That the game does not warn you about this at all is pretty stupid :/

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 29, 2010, 03:02:32 AM »
No, I'm past that part. Once he hits 1/3 life in phase 2 he inevitably chain-teleport-fireball-punches me to death.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 29, 2010, 03:11:24 AM »
FFTA2: This game has too many missions for its own good! As in, I don't think I'm ever beating this anytime soon cause missions are addicting and then there's Clan Quests and *guns to face*

...on the upside, I'd rather THIS be the game's biggest nuisance (cause technically, all that stuff is optional) as opposed to its predecessor whose problem was basically "Everything Sucks."

Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom: Bought this, beat Arcade mode 4 times.  First as Ryu/Morrigan (Ryu's ending), next as Chun-li/Megaman Volnutt )Chun-li's Ending), then Morrigan/Viewtiful Joe (Morrigan's Ending; I wanted to be insured I got a 3rd Capcom win, but wanted to have an easyish time, so I chose someone I was familiar with, hence why I chose Morrigan again), and then Frank West/Tekkamen (Tekkamen ending.)

Game is...a lot better than I expected.  I played it briefly before in the Japanese version, wasn't fond of the controls, since the whole "Kick and Punch don't exist, THERE'S ONLY ATTACK!" led to scenarios like "WHY IS HURRICANE KICK THE SAME BUTTON AS HADOKEN!? WHY!?!?!?", but now that I've gotten use to the controls, its...what a Vs. game SHOULD be.  It has the general insanity and unique all out style of a Vs. game, but at the same time, it never gets TOO hectic to the point where the game just loses all focus and its just a mangled mess of garbage.  Fast paced, fun, intuitive...now if only I recognized a god damned Tatsunoko Character, I'd be good to go!

So far, thoughts on characters I played as...
Ryu is Ryu.  If you've played as him in anything, you already have a good idea how he functions, and lets face it, Ryu's the "Go to" character for "Never changes, just adapts to the new system at most."

Morrigan's like Ryu in regards that "If you've played as her in other games, you know what to expect."  Granted, unlike Ryu, she has some actual tweaks; still plays the same for the most part, but isn't quite as just SUPER TRADITIONAL like Ryu is (this isn't a bad thing from either perspective; Ryu's thing is being Traditional after all, so its nice that they decided to mix it up a bit with Morrigan while keeping her the same.)

Chun-li...wow, never thought I'd get use to her, let alone this fast.  I've never really been fond of Chun-li's fighting style since Street Fighter 2, but she flowed a lot better in this game than I've ever seen, to the point where I might actually consider maining her.

Megaman Volnutt is...not like MvC2 Mega Man much at all, and he's weird and...yeah, disappointed.  Not really someone I can see myself investing in.

Viewtiful Joe meanwhile...I can't tell.  There are times I seem to have an idea I know what he's doing, other times I'm just all "Wait, what the fuck am I doing with him now?"  I just don't understand him...which is why I'm going to play as him more til I figure it out damn it!

Frank West is a riot.  If you've seen the trailer of him, he's every bit as fun to play as he is to watch.  He's surprisingly easy to use too, and far simpler than I expected.  Also, he's freaking Frank West.

Tekkamen is the only Tatsunoko character I've tried...go figure I chose the heaviest character in the game, apparently.  I'm not a fan of him, mostly cause he's got a thing similar to Chun-li's lightning kicks, only they aren't as fast and combo-able; he feels like he's more about hitting hard on a few hits.  On the upside, I REALLY like his 2 lesser supers.  They happened to work well nicely with Frank West's "Real Mega Buster", which was nice!

What wasn't nice is neither character having reliable normal projectiles (Frank West's shopping cart isn't reliable <_<) to deal with the first form of Yami.  After getting past that, the two mostly just crushed the other two forms like they were nothing, but that first form was cruel for that team.  Flipside, Ryu/Morrigan more or less ripped the shit out of Yami on the first attempt!
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #530 on: January 29, 2010, 03:34:25 AM »
From Tatsunoko... you seriously need to try out Yattaman. He's frantic and fun. Weird attack patterns, but I think you can pick him up quickly.

Taishyr

« Reply #531 on: January 29, 2010, 03:36:27 AM »
FFTA2: This game has too many missions for its own good! As in, I don't think I'm ever beating this anytime soon cause missions are addicting and then there's Clan Quests and *guns to face*

...on the upside, I'd rather THIS be the game's biggest nuisance (cause technically, all that stuff is optional) as opposed to its predecessor whose problem was basically "Everything Sucks."

So... from what I've heard of Crisis Core, same issue, except that's probably a touch more addicting at least? (I wouldn't know, haven't played CC yet)

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 29, 2010, 03:54:06 AM »
Dodge more, Rob. I never died once on that phase and I was on normal mode, he really isn't -that- bad >_>

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 29, 2010, 04:17:06 AM »
Cross Edge - Offence is now sky high as the team is now Felicia, Raze, Marie and Lazarus.

Lazarus 2 - Same as last time.

Raizen 3 - The usual slugging match.

Troy and Anesha 2 - Seeing a trend.

Lazarus 3 - Somethng different at last. Lazarus poses no threat what so ever but at least its not another copy pasta fight like the last 3.

Augustine 2 - Didn't touch the prick again. I think a guy in the development team was just being a prick when he made killing Augustine lock you out of the true ending. I mean Augustine is built to annoy you making most people kill him first, then BAM no true ending for you.

Demitri and Lilith - Same as last time.

Bourd 2 - Unexpected but after steamrolling the other guys he stops me dead in my tracks and gives me two game overs. Mostly due to his strangly accurate ID who killed both the people they were hitting 8 TURNS IN A ROW!
Perfect ID with that hit area means its killing two people regardless what you do so this guys badass in combat. Had to defend till he ran away but managed to snag his stuff.

Anesha - Gave me a little trouble due to spamming Ex attacks but I was always in control.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:23:30 AM by Rozalia »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 29, 2010, 04:50:41 AM »
End of Eternity- This somewhat feels like VP2, with more focus on the movement.....

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 29, 2010, 05:26:21 AM »
Tatsunoko vs Capcom.  Smooth controls, gorgeous graphics, great music.  On the minus side, hella obscure characters (and I'm not just talking about the Tatsunoko ones).

Beat it with giant robot who is not a cigarette lighter, followed by Ryu+Batsu.  Granted, I know who Batsu is, but he's still obscure.  If you're going to throw in Rival Schools at least use Kyosuke...

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #536 on: January 29, 2010, 05:30:48 AM »
Batsu is from Rival Schools? I thought he was from the Athena games?

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 29, 2010, 05:35:03 AM »
What the hell would make you think that? Those are SNK property!

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 29, 2010, 05:35:53 AM »
Also, Frank motherfucking West combos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQakJBKOwOw

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 29, 2010, 05:41:39 AM »
You don't fuck with Frank West, he'll fuck your shit up.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: January 29, 2010, 06:08:11 AM »
Has anyone played Karas yet? I'm kind of really hoping that he's awesome.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #541 on: January 29, 2010, 06:40:19 AM »
What the hell would make you think that? Those are SNK property!

Really now? Huh. I've never played anything SNK that didn't have Capcom in it, so I guess I never really thought about it. Who's the guy that works with Athena, then?

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 29, 2010, 07:46:59 AM »
Actually I may be mixing up my facts[since there's a longtime SNK char in most of their KoF games named Athena], what games are you referring to?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 29, 2010, 02:12:48 PM »
IIRC, wasn't there like two Athenas in the SNK time-line?  The actual Goddess who existed like thousands years before, and the girl in KoF whose suppose to be her descendant, hence all those psychic powers?  I believe she had her own game which was similar to the one the other Athena was in, and actually made the connection there, and its the 2nd Athena that's always been used, the first getting a reference here and there when Athena does her whole "COSTUME BEAT DOWN BARRAGE" thing, donning the original Athena's costume in her last hit.

Either way, Athena is an SNK character.  It was pretty easy to remember cause she's on the right side in CvS2, where its the Left = C Side, and Right = S side.

Furthermore, its CvS, NOT MvC.  Generally, the Capcom side in CvS was entirely Street Fighter characters, with very few exceptions.  The SNK side was, for the most part, KoF characters, again, with very few exceptions.
(and Athena is not even one of those exceptions, being a regular in KoF games!)

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 29, 2010, 02:53:34 PM »
IIRC, wasn't there like two Athenas in the SNK time-line?  The actual Goddess who existed like thousands years before, and the girl in KoF whose suppose to be her descendant, hence all those psychic powers?  I believe she had her own game which was similar to the one the other Athena was in, and actually made the connection there, and its the 2nd Athena that's always been used, the first getting a reference here and there when Athena does her whole "COSTUME BEAT DOWN BARRAGE" thing, donning the original Athena's costume in her last hit.

Yes, she did have her own game. It was simply called Athena (Athena's Wonderland in other cases). You could play it on Commodore 64!

The 2nd Athena, who is basically MODERN MORTAL ATHENACLONE... with psychic powers, made her debut in Psycho Soldier (alongside Sie Kensou).

Also, you could use the original Athena in SvC Chaos.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 29, 2010, 03:24:19 PM »
XF: Done through act 2! Game is a ton of fun in spite of my earlier complaints about map design, though I must note the solo clarissa map is really stupid.

*Sets fire to Ragnar* How a game can so utterly miss on one character when most of the rest of the cast is good blows my mind.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 29, 2010, 04:45:48 PM »
I thought the Original Athena was NOT actually playable, but one of two potential super bosses (the other being Red Arremer, who is likely Firebrand...I'll give SvC Chaos one thing, it did use some cool unique characters that I'd like to see used more!)  Either way, I did forget that Athena (original) was in Chaos.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 29, 2010, 08:14:33 PM »
Welp, beat NMH2. The trick was to get him to 2/3 health, switch to the huge lightsaber, and trigger darkside mode. Bam, he's done.

Anyway, that was a bizarre ending, but it made a strange amount of sense when I thought about it during the credits. I'm guessing the lack of resolution on Henry and Travis' fight is a lead-in for a sequel starring Henry (since Suda51 said Travis won't be the star of the next game).

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 29, 2010, 08:47:02 PM »
I thought the Original Athena was NOT actually playable, but one of two potential super bosses (the other being Red Arremer, who is likely Firebrand...I'll give SvC Chaos one thing, it did use some cool unique characters that I'd like to see used more!)  Either way, I did forget that Athena (original) was in Chaos.

Pretty much. She -became- normally playable in NGBC, though.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 29, 2010, 10:26:21 PM »
Dragon Warrior 3 GBC version: I've previously given up on the NES version, but I figured I'd give the GBC version a chance.

Anyway, backstory. Once upon a time there was a hero who went out to fight a demonlord. Like the player controlled heroes, he believed in wandering around randomly a lot before engaging the target. At some point he had a talk with his wife. She brought up the subject of their child. In response the hero starts talking about how defeating the demonlord requires sacrifices. I take it he wasn't to pleased about having a child. Eventually he makes it to the destination.

The battle against the demonlord takes place on the top of a volcano. He does a lot of jumping around, dodging fireballs and sometimes even fires some fireballs himself. Several times he manages to jump from one side of the hole to another which is impressive since the hole is at least 50m wide. Finally, the demonlord hovers above the hole and the hero decides to jump at him. The maneuver succeeds, but has the side effect of transferring a lot of momentum to the demonlord, momentum which was needed to get him to the other side. Down he goes for a hot bath.

Some years later and the hero's child reaches not quite adulthood yet, but run around with swordhood. The child hears an disembodied voice calling.

I decide to try a female and name her Lia. Let's see if the GBC version will refrain from calling her a son.

The disembodied voice tells her he will ask some questions and that she should answer honestly. This is the personality generator. I have another idea, I just pick the personality I want and consult el-FAQo. Valiant sounds good. The disembodied voice agrees, in fact so much he twice tells her that she's basically shitting rainbows. After that the heroine awakens.

Lia's mother is standing at the bed telling her to get up. It's time for her to talk with the king. Yay! Even more yay, Lia's mother does unlike the NES version not call her daughter a son.

The king does call her the late hero's son though, but retracts that statement with "I mean daughter". I don't believe that was a honest mistake. In any case, the king tells Lia the demonking is still alive and she's all "I wanna follow my father's footstep" while the king is all "no, skip the falling into a volcano part". The king suggests that she gets some companions, with added firepower she may actually kill the demonlord instead of getting killed. A good idea since Lia is a girl and therefore can't just impregnate someone before committing suicide. The king also tells her not to mention the fact that the demonking is alive to anyone in order to avoid panic and finally gives her 50 gold to get some equipment. That's almost enough for two clubs!

Lia sets of to get her companions. She skips the preset clowns and registers her own. Turns out every companion gets five seeds to distribute among the stats and I can choose to distribute them manually or have them randomly distributed which is probably gonna include a lot of fighters with intelligence seeds fun. I choose to skip that fun.

I make one fighter named Harl who I may change into a soldier later. I distribute two of the seeds to strength, and the rest to vitality and agility. That makes him a macho which I can buy. Next I make a cleric named Mye who I may or may not change into a fighter later. She gets two strength seeds and three intelligence seeds. Apparently she's a romanticist. The third character is a dealer named Kara. I don't care to much about her seed distribution, but puts them on strength and vitality. For that she becomes a silly person. To bad she wasn't a man and had one of seeds on agility instead, then she wouldn't have to be silly and could instead have been a macho. Anyway, last I make a wizard named Seth, who may change into a cleric or a thief later. He gets intelligence and vitality seeds, in other words, he's a coward. Yeah, that's what you get for being bright and healthy!

I pick the fighter, the cleric and the dealer. My experience is that wizards aren't to strong early on and I thought the dealer will make money grinding faster.

Anyway, I get a club, grind ten gold and get another club. I also talk with the townspeople. Turns out that not telling about the demonlord is in vain, everyone and their grandma seems to know about it.

After five battles the dealer manages to once find 20% extra gold. That's makes 4% extra gold if that keeps up. I admit the dealer may have been unlucky and that that the 20% may have been the game rounding a bigger number down. Still, I decide the extra gold isn't worth a party slot and exchange her for the wizard. The wizard doesn't disappoint, he quickly gets enough MP to cast offensive spells in any battle with anything that resembles resistance.

After playing a bit more, the GBC version appears to be much less of a pain than the NES version. Getting the heroes ready to go anywhere without dying doesn't take as long as I remember. The spellcasters are getting much more MP when leveling up and I seem to need much less expensive equipment. That or I'm simple making a more liberal use of the frame-skip button.