Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 356752 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #600 on: February 03, 2010, 09:58:28 PM »
Odd, I found magical healing in DA to be what really broke the difficulty in the game.  Attack magic is insanely strong, but even just the basic heal spell makes the game so much easier than relying solely on potions.  Throughput isn't the answer to why the spells are good, it is the fact that you can have someone else other than the person needing healing do it for them and they can do it from a range.  Group heal is just a godsend.

And yes ME1 sidequests are a pretty tedious grind.  I recently ran through the game again and did the lot in about 3 or 4 days though, so you can get there if you have to.  Stuff you pick up on Citadel is usually worth doing.  Things you have to trawl throught he galaxy find tend towards more tedious.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 03, 2010, 10:04:09 PM »
Huh, really? I can recall a few times when I was still using Morrigan when I would go, "Geez, I could really use a full-party heal right now." But that number was positively dwarfed by the times I though "Dammit Wynne I wish you could cast Cone of Cold." Seriously, that spell alone is heinous. Let alone Sleep, Nightmare, Paralyze, etc. I feel like those times I wanted MT healing only came when I made aome grievous-but-avoidable error in the first place. We'll see what happens on my next playthrough. It's possible that I'm just not noticing how much the healing is helping me.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #602 on: February 03, 2010, 10:11:49 PM »
Do Wrex's. IT IS IMPORTANT YOU DO WREX'S BEFORE VIRMIRE.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 03, 2010, 10:35:38 PM »
CSI: Hard Evidence - An adventure game... by TellTale... only without a funny license. Cleared the first two cases, and the game is decent enough bargain-bin style play.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 03, 2010, 10:39:49 PM »
Character sidequests are something towards which I am favorably disposed. "Scan all the Keepers in the Citadel" is not.

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 04, 2010, 05:40:39 AM »
Dragon Warrior III: It's almost time for Lia the heroine to rescue the daughter of a spice dealer as well as said daughter's fiancé/husband. With almost it means she wants to explore a bit first. That or she simple missed the tower where the kidnappers are holed up and happened to find something else first.

Anyway, she enters the shrine of Dharma, the shrine of making broken characters. Unfortunately, that doesn't include her since the cleric there forbids her from changing her class. She wonders if she should bother changing her companions' classes at all, there's a danger that they become more powerful than she is. Maybe she can compensate by hogging all stat seeds and making sure they give the maximum benefit, but that will probably not be enough. Fortunately, her current party setup works just fine.

Nearby is a tower, not the one where kidnappers are. Talking to people who for some reason seems to live there reveals that the book of Zen, which allows you to change class to Sage, is there. Sounds good, but Lia never felt that the cleric needs to be able to cast mage spells or that the mage needs to cast cleric spells. The book could make the mage less fragile though, but again she fears she may end up with a companion more powerful than she is and instead stresses the importance of quickly rescuing the victims from the kidnappers.

Back to town and this time the party locates the tower of kidnappers. The tower is easy to get trough and so are the kidnappers. It turns out to be Kandar who this time has more hitpoints, but doesn't seem to do much more damage since last. Once he's throughoutly beaten he again asks for mercy and pulls a "but thou must" to ensure he gets the answer he wants. One day Lia will find a way to outsmart the system!

She free the what's-their-faces and returns to town. There she gets the spice as reward. She gives the spice the spice addicted king who sniffs eats it and then grants her the possession of a ship. Score!

A large part of the world now opened up to her, so it's time to travel to random locations and see if she finds something useful. Unfortunately, the first place she encounters is the castle of snobs. The guard there won't even let her in and calls the party "bumpkins". Maybe she could get the kings she already visited to get her a fancy sounding title. Even better, she could take advantage of the fact that she can temporarily become a queen and prepare all the royal documents she will ever need. Or maybe there’s a specific “get past the guard” item.

Well, she locates the needed item very quickly. The next village she hits has it. It's an invisible herb and the villagers even tells her to go to snob castle after purchasing some. Other than that, the village also has a temple which requires her to get the Final Key to access.

West of the village is a mountain pass. The village is however blocking said pass and there's no way to enter the pass without first entering the village. Lia does so and then exits the village westwards. This is in vain as every exit lands her south of the village. There's apparently no way to enter the pass right now. To the snob castle then.

The party becomes invisible right in front of the guard and then enters the castle. Other than useless snobs, there's also a block puzzle, or boulder puzzle to be precise, in the castle basement. Solving it yields the vase of drought. Lia doesn't know where to use it yet, but figures she will when she sees it.

Next the party locates a village in a very poor shape. The villagers are concerned that they are to close to the demonking and that something bad may happen to them. Sleeping in the run down inn reveals that their concerns were perfectly justified, at morning there's no villagers, there's only bones. At nighttime the villagers will be back again. Anyway, Lia decides to explore the currently desolate village and locates it's puzzle. A pile of bones has a letter stating that the owner of the bones wants to give a certain item to someone while still alive. The item is not with the bones, so it indeed has to be obtained while the owner is alive, or at least sort of alive. The owner happens to be a prisoner and while there's a one tile big hole in the prison, a guard is blocking it during nighttime. The jail can be opened with the Final Key, an item Lia doesn't have.

Lia also finds the Dark Lamp while exploring the village. This lets her change from day to night which coupled with the inn means she has full control over whether the villagers will be dead or alive. Awesome! Unfortunately, using it teleports the party to the village entrance, so the Final Key is still needed.

Next time she maybe finds the Key.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 04, 2010, 06:41:35 AM »
FFIX- You are the reason ATB doesn't work. I didn't even really start to notice until late in Disc 2 (right around the time I recruited the Flaming Lips) but... jesus christ.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 04, 2010, 07:52:56 AM »
Huh, really? I can recall a few times when I was still using Morrigan when I would go, "Geez, I could really use a full-party heal right now." But that number was positively dwarfed by the times I though "Dammit Wynne I wish you could cast Cone of Cold." Seriously, that spell alone is heinous. Let alone Sleep, Nightmare, Paralyze, etc. I feel like those times I wanted MT healing only came when I made aome grievous-but-avoidable error in the first place. We'll see what happens on my next playthrough. It's possible that I'm just not noticing how much the healing is helping me.

Don't get me wrong, attack spells are ridiculously broken.  Healing spells though will let you go on forever no matter what is happening.  Ideally you want both available anyway.  If you send Wynne down say the Spirit line that has Corpse Explosion and Corpse Explosion 2.0 you are pretty much set for any given situation.

Wrex's side quest involves taking a side quest from a Helena Blake on the Citadel to go shoot some dudes.  High reccomend it anyway.  Edit - And generally speaking a suprisingly large number of the side quests do come back up in ME2, especially the Cerberus ones obviously.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 04, 2010, 08:04:05 AM »
I still would have rather the scene where you meet up with Wrex in ME2 had you walking in on him railing a lady Krogan.

"Shepard."

"Wrex."

"Shepard."

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 04, 2010, 01:08:08 PM »
I haven't actually made it to Tuchanka yet, I have it an Illium left and I think I will hit Illium next.  Mostly because I kind of want to delay making any decisions about the Krogan Genophage for as long as possible since it is still something I am unsure on how to approach it.

Just finished Tali side quest.  Running around Citadel with Tali and Garrus makes for highly amusing party banter.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 04, 2010, 04:09:01 PM »
ToDrDC - A TALES GAME WITH A DOWNRIGHT INTERESTING BATTLE SYSTEM ON PAPER WHAT THE HECK
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 04, 2010, 09:45:40 PM »
I haven't actually made it to Tuchanka yet, I have it an Illium left and I think I will hit Illium next.  Mostly because I kind of want to delay making any decisions about the Krogan Genophage for as long as possible since it is still something I am unsure on how to approach it.

Just finished Tali side quest.  Running around Citadel with Tali and Garrus makes for highly amusing party banter.

I'm not worried. I already saved the Rachni queen, if they become a problem I'm sure I can have them wipe each other out again. Besides, I'm pretty sure in ME3 at some point you will be saved by Wrex smashing through a wall riding the Rachni Queen and carrying two heavy weapons AT THE SAME TIME.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 04, 2010, 09:52:50 PM »

I'm not worried. I already saved the Rachni queen, if they become a problem I'm sure I can have them wipe each other out again. Besides, I'm pretty sure in ME3 at some point you will be saved by Wrex smashing through a wall riding the Rachni Queen and carrying two heavy weapons AT THE SAME TIME.

Now I'm imagining Wrex as the Kool-Aid Man.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 04, 2010, 10:20:26 PM »
OH YEAH *CRASH.*
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 04, 2010, 10:38:10 PM »
No. The only way that would work is if Wrex just tosses out a casual "Shepard."
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: February 05, 2010, 01:30:14 AM »
Given the "SHEPARD!!!!!!" *manly hug where balls barely don't touch* moment in ME2, I think we're past that point.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 05, 2010, 01:42:35 AM »
wait Wrex gives Shepard a bro grab? 10/10 goty headed to a gamestop right now
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #617 on: February 05, 2010, 03:53:47 AM »
Sounds like Bioware finally learned how to make an RPG - Cater to the yaoi fangirls~

(worked for Kingdom Hearts)

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 05, 2010, 03:56:59 AM »
Have you ever seen a picture of Wrex? Just sayin'

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 05, 2010, 04:44:10 AM »
FFTA2: ...I really need to call it quits on optional quests at some point, cause this game is never being finished at the rate I'm doing things <_<;

That said, I'm suppose to do something with Airships and Sky Pirates or something or other.

Viewtiful Joe: Picked this up cause its cheap, and its a Clover game I haven't played, and considering they were batting 1000 with the games I played of theirs, spending $5 on this couldn't hurt!

Up to Episode 5, about halfway in.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 05, 2010, 04:58:14 AM »
Sounds like Bioware finally learned how to make an RPG - Cater to the yaoi fangirls~

(worked for Kingdom Hearts)

Epic, epic facepalm.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 05, 2010, 05:09:59 AM »
PWI:  Hit 89, and did my FB.  Decided to go Sage, cause I am a good guy.   ;D

TvsC:  Huh, Roll is actually good.  I daresay very good.  Her mop push hits knocked-down enemies, and you can combo the super mop push after it also.  No coincidence that she has a move that makes you fall down also.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #622 on: February 05, 2010, 05:53:27 AM »
Have you ever seen a picture of Wrex? Just sayin'

If you're implying that it's not yaoi-fangirl-bait just because he's unattractive and barely humanoid, you clearly don't know enough yaoi fangirls.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 05, 2010, 07:08:35 AM »
I'll count my blessings, then.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 05, 2010, 07:42:45 AM »
I'll count my blessings, then.

I am a little mad I can't have a man-love relationship with Garrus but I guess I should be thankful Bioware had Zevryn and whatsherface in Dragon Age.