Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 361896 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #2125 on: May 16, 2010, 01:10:33 AM »
I am going to repeat myself on SH2 here, but when you have a game centred around a guy that has beaten a giant space alien "god" you don't really want or need to put him up against a real villain.  He has already done that in SH1.  SH2 works so much better because there isn't really much of a villain for him to challenge, it makes the situaion all the more palpable.

Shadow Hearts 2 is EXACTLY how to make a sequel.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: May 16, 2010, 01:58:23 AM »
Well, they did go the route of "handicap the hero, with some legit explanation behind it" instead of the usual "BETTAR ADVERSARIES!!!" like most direct sequels have (aka the Shonen Anime style).  Yuri losing all his powers and basically starting from scratch, having only the knowledge he had before, leads to more flexibility with villains; they don't NEED to be stronger than what he fought, just strong enough that they can be threatening to this weakened hero.

Mostly I find it obnoxious when people propose a sequel and say shit like "bring x villain back from the dead!" with the excuse of "its either that or ass pull some stronger guy from nowhere!"  They completely forget that circumstantial problems can cause a villain to be threatening too (pretty much the case in the 2nd half of SHC, IIRC.  No one is really strong enough to deal with Yuri, barring maybe Astaroth if he ever reaches his full potential, now that he's gotten Amon back, but the circumstances he's up against sort of limit his options on what he CAN do, so the villains can still undergo with their schemes.)

...but that just proves SHC did things right.  Handicap the Hero if you want to make him seem weaker, rather than make bullshit new villains who are more powerful than the Gods he just defeated, then after he's recovered, make the threat come from circumstances, rather than making MOAR STRONG STUFF!
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: May 16, 2010, 02:29:18 AM »
Pretty much. Although I think the fact that the second disc is the notably better of the two in SH2 may be partially the fault of adversity by circumstances being better than just making the hero weaker (which mostly serves to create an environment in which Yuri will not dominate his allies to the point that they are useless).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: May 16, 2010, 04:34:38 AM »
LO- Cooke just joined. And holy crap, queen of frail, damageless healers? HP looks about 60%-70%, damage is uh...20% range but uses two turns and is at the end of the second turn or maybe 3% and fast (And the first move needs her to gain 4 levels)! Ha.
...into the nightfall.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: May 16, 2010, 04:42:36 AM »
Muramasa - picked this up a few months ago, actually playing a bit of it now that I have Teh Time.  Hack-slashy fun so far, like the plot such as it is, and the game is gorgeous as advertised, but it's a shame both characters control the same.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: May 16, 2010, 04:47:54 AM »
Disgaea 3 - So I'm going through the list of the bonus content which are all rank 27 levels containing lv 188 enemies. There was a rank 41 level but surely enemies would be lv 500 or something right? BAM lv 9000 overlord Baal!
As I like to see big shiny numbers I let him curb stomp me and as Baal smacks Mao into oblivion *Bling* You earned the trophy "Who Wants to be a Milliondamagaire"

???

Apparently, the game doesn't care who dealt/took the damage, only that the damage happened.

I managed to get the Ten-Million Damage trophy when I ran into Baal Pirates on Invincibility panels, at that.

If you ever decide to go after the Ten Billion damage trophy...  Mr. Champloo will be your most best friend of all time.

...Same game.  Guess what I'm doing.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 04:49:44 AM by Magic Fanatic »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: May 16, 2010, 06:08:55 AM »
BoF5- Picked this back up in the past few days. Went through the Trinity base and mrfed at their leader, then went up to High Sector Borough and smacked Bosch around. Probably used too much D-Ratio on him, but meh. I should be fine.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: May 16, 2010, 08:00:48 AM »
SH2 - Veronica, you -fail-.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: May 16, 2010, 04:24:34 PM »
I dunno if that's plot or gameplay, but yeah, pretty much.

Oz - Scarlet Forest time. Enemies here are definitely an upgrade, I had a bit of a score from some of them before I got a handle on them. Delphi was decent, the threats of charm and better speed (plus dispel to get rid of Overclock, not that I had that for Flora) made her better than the previous boss. Still no resets though~

FE9 - Chapter 17. MVP so far is probably Lethe, surprisingly (well, until Stefan joined. Now it's him). Mordecai on the other hand has been underwhelming, even with a Speedwing there are too many things he can't double and late transform is bad because usually you need more help with early parts of maps (C16 is a weird exception).

Party is Ike, Rhys, Soren, Rolf, Lethe, Mordecai, Zihark, Muarim, and Stefan. Soren is promoted, Zihark and Rhys will probably follow during the four-part monster. And then Rolf. Not many non-prepromos this time.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: May 16, 2010, 04:28:10 PM »
I dunno if that's plot or gameplay, but yeah, pretty much.

This instance is gameplay, but yeah. I think I did mention in chat that Veronica is basically your run-off-the-mill baby-eating anti-gay therapist in plot.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: May 16, 2010, 11:06:50 PM »
SH2 - No matter how badly Veronica failed, Rasputin managed to do worse in all counts. Dude, specializing in S.ATK LOWERING and BUFFING off -that- durability and no status whatsoever to speak of? Good job, mang. I guess Soul Bent post-Surge scrapes a low-middle end 2HKO, but have fun taking advantage of -that-.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2136 on: May 17, 2010, 12:19:59 AM »
I personally found Veronica to be rather entertaining in the story. Gameplaywise, she's an SH2 boss. But I chuckled during most of her scenes. And she's on the same team as LENNY!

Oh right, I play games!

Suikoden Tierkreis: Quests are finally starting to open up, and the premises behind them are amusing enough. Trying to figure out the requirements is a crapshoot, and even FAQs are pretty useless. Luckily, 90% of the quests are repeatable if you mess 'em up. I'm currently investigating the MYSTARY of how poor Yovel's mask got glued to his face.

Got about 58 of 108 Starbearers, so I'm hoping that means I'm over halfway done with the game.

They made the biggest plot reveal so far with finally telling us what's going on with the Worlds randomly appearing and introducing the idea of a main antagonist. Story is a lot different than usual Suikoden fare - it's much bigger in scope. But I have to give it props for introducing things very fluidly and not treating the player like an idiot.

Gameplaywise, I finally got my fifth Chronicle, so all of my PCs have 5 spell options, thus finally giving me some control over their skillsets. It's still pretty bland, but that made it about 10 times more interesting.

Current favorite team: Hero, Roberto, Chein, Manaril/Asad
Current favorite PC: Felecca is still distractingly beautiful.

I play other games!

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

Chapter 3-10. Back to the Fail Brigade it seems. Because they got unique weapons, I let Dward and Nardo back into my party. This should be fun. Micaiah destroys worlds~ My Mist has ended up RNG-blessed and has something like 25 Str and 21 Def... How the hell?!

Had one reset with Leanne on the Bridge mission (seriously, you threw a Lvl7 Heron into the middle of my battle!? GAME!!!! *shakes fist* ). But otherwise, no one's died on me permanently.

This game is too long, I'm really quite bored with it now.

The story is leaps and bounds better than previous FEs, so I'm actually interested in seeing where it's going. However, the entire reasoning behind Gallia attacking Begnion is kinda infuriating though. Throughout the second half of this chapter, the Laguz are all 'O woe are we! However did we end up in this situation where we're losing to a massive empire?!'.  And all I can think is 'you idiots attacked -them-'... Sure they killed the Herons, but that's pretty ancient history at this point. And really, Herons die so easily, they probably didn't even mean it.

Elincia has been really cool so far. Better than I was expecting.

Skrimir needs to be punched in the face more often.

The new skills and such make this FE cast so much more interesting DL-wise it's not even funny.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: May 17, 2010, 01:24:52 AM »
Torchlight: I was on Steam getting X-Com and this was half price, so what the hell. Apparently I was in the mood for some mindless hack 'n' slash. Or shoot 'n' shoot more, I guess. Went with vanquisher because, seriously, it's me and it shouldn't be any surprise by this point that Cid runs with the female PC.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: May 17, 2010, 02:01:17 AM »
Also been on a Torchlight kick recently.  Finished Normal mode with Vanquisher, then tried to do an Easy Hardcore Ironman run with Destroyer.  Died on Ordrak.  :(  Then tried the same thing again with Alchemist and had weird random death in the goblin zone.  Despite that, wow are Nether Imps completly broken.  For some reason you get double the listed number of them.  So you have like 10 of them skittering around all benefitting from Pet Mastery and other bonuses.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2139 on: May 17, 2010, 08:00:59 AM »
The latest in SaGa Frontier formula-cracking. It appears that not -all- of the SaGa formulas make no sense. The Shield Card formula is rather straightforward. It's just nigh-useless. And it's one of the best buff spells in the game. The others degrade too fast to be of any use.

From Zaraktheus:

The Shield spell grants a DEF Buff to the Actor and all its Allies. The size of the Buff depends on the Actor's stats, and is calculated as follows:

----------

/rd means "Divide and round down".

A:INT = Actor Current INT.
A:WIL = Actor Current WIL.
A:PSY = Actor Current PSY.
A:CHA = Actor Current CHA.

(A:INT + A:WIL + A:PSY + A:CHA)
/rd 24
+ 5
= DEF Buff

----------

So, the value of the DEF Buff can range from 5--21. The DEF Buff overwrites any previous DEF Buff/Debuff, meaning it doesn't stack in any way, but it also doesn't decay or ever wear off (within the battle in which it was cast).

The DEF Buff will increase your EDV (Effective DEF Value), which is used to reduce damage from almost any damage-dealing attack (unless it completely bypasses DEF, like BoundShot, etc), but so far, all the SCPs (Status Change Processes) I've translated DON'T count the DEF Buff even when they do count your Status FX DEF, so it probably doesn't help at all in resisting Status Ailments. Also, different EPs use EDV differently, so exactly how much benefit you get from a given DEF Buff depends on what attacks you're facing and which EPs they use. A DEF Buff of 5 generally won't mean much, but a Buff closer to 21, especially since it affects all PCs with just one casting, can significantly reduce the party's damage from most attacks.

Unfortunately, the Bosses against whom damage-reduction would probably be most useful often do a great deal of that damage using EP 14 (Boss) attacks, which use EDV in such a way that the DEF Buff will often make much less difference than usual. As a result, Shield may be less help than you'd like just when you need it most.

Also, since the value of the Buff is so heavily dependant upon stats, the spell isn't really as effective until later in a game, by which time you've probably had the opportunity to get much better armor, and so may not need the Buff as much anyway.

Nevertheless, Shield is one of the better Buffs available in the game, and it's not a bad idea to have your highest-stat PC cast it on the first round of any battle you don't expect to win in one or two rounds. It can help to prevent OHKOs and the like, and especially if combined with regeneration effects from VitalityRune, SelfRepair, and/or the monster Syntheses, it can cut down on the need for healing.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: May 17, 2010, 01:30:49 PM »
FE9 - So someone went and released a GCN/Wii emulator when I wasn't paying attention.  Cheat codes?  Save States?  Cheats that let me set it to Fixed level up schemes first play through?  Well shit I guess I have to do this at least once now.  Save states aren't super awesome, but hey it lets me be lazy.  Chapter 6 or something.  Things happening.  Stabbing some dudes.  This game doesn't have enough Colm.  Shinon might be alright?  I dunno.  zzzzzzzzzzz

Edit - To tired to say much more rather than the game not being worth commenting on.  Some stuff in Chat with generic making fun of character dress sense.  I don't expect to enjoy it, but since I spent money on it I should play it sometime if only cheating the fuck out of it.  I have Baten Kaitos ready to follow it, because damn if that game wasn't a flaming pile of shit that I wasted money on.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:37:07 PM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: May 17, 2010, 01:56:47 PM »
BoF5- Finished. Went from TopSector to the end in one final, huge push. Cheated a bit and did the file reload trick just to pad my levels a bit (From 26 to 32). Made the game a lot more managable and, dare I say, fun. My items weren't saved in the Item Locker though, so I lost them. And the money never carried over, so... yeah. Kinda slightly screwed myself, but I managed. Deamoned Flanders was pretty easy, as was Cupid. Accidentally wandered into Vexacion. Great fight, actually. Nearly ran out of healing, but still beat all the Regents without using Wyrm. Then just cheesed the rest. Final D-Counter before finishing was 80.39%, coming in at a few minutes over 21 hours. D-Ratio for the new file was 1/4096. Oh well. Those resets probably cost me, but being level 39 and not doing any of the Fairy dungeon also had something to do with it. Oh well.

People were right. Shatter was great for Lin. Nina was an all-star. Lag Vahalla was clutch for extra damage against Vex's cronies. Vahalla and Blizzard also helped, but in general stringing her 20 AP skills together was better. Ryu... Slicexwhatever usually beat out anything he had, throwing in some Rust Armor hits. Overly simple and kinda tedious, but once I raised up my levels it wasn't so bad.

Game is... maybe 6/10 overall? Does some things right, interesting system... but not all there. Needed refining. The interface was clunky and it's not ever really clear what carries over and how. Not enough to the story really. The characters had a decent report, for what little time they had. Nothing for the villains, really other than the spooooky SEELE conferences roundtable meetings. Bosch is a wanker and no amount of SOL scenes could redeem him. Elyon at least had some style. Despite the shortcomings, I still felt good seeing them reach the surface, so that counts for something.

I'll probably go with Cross Edge next.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 02:11:03 PM by Hunter Sopko »

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: May 17, 2010, 06:36:22 PM »
Apparently, the game doesn't care who dealt/took the damage, only that the damage happened.

I managed to get the Ten-Million Damage trophy when I ran into Baal Pirates on Invincibility panels, at that.

If you ever decide to go after the Ten Billion damage trophy...  Mr. Champloo will be your most best friend of all time.

...Same game.  Guess what I'm doing.

The same as me I'm guessing. I've heard Champloo can do the job if you set it up right but I think using either the Hero Prinny or reverse healing are better methods. Currently I'm trying to get the Axel and trophy shop trophies and even on the 91st level of the item world they never appear.

Disgaea 3 - Seto Kaiba and his Black eyes blue prinny fall! He thought he was smart summoning a bunch of monsters in one turn but I showed him, Asagi and Marona were also gotten. Marona doesn't seem that impressive really but I'm liking Asagi immensely due to awesome air guitar powers. I was underleveled for the marona fight but by abusing throwing people into panels I was able to kill all the ghosts with Mao/Asagi, Marona is then stupidly trapped and with her stupid AI never healing itself I gunned her down easily.

I'll probably go with Cross Edge next.
Don't subject yourself to that torture. Cross Edge isn't just bad but horrible and retarded in every single way imaginable so I advise you steer clear of such a monster.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: May 17, 2010, 07:15:31 PM »
FE10: Up to 4-2. Dead PC's: All three of the Herons, Mist. Nothing else really notable going on besides Marcia deciding to turn into Haar Jr and Callil being awesome and once again making Soren/Ilyana look terrible.  Enjoying the game, though I am glad to be done with DB shitfests at this point.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: May 17, 2010, 07:28:47 PM »
The latest in SaGa Frontier formula-cracking. It appears that not -all- of the SaGa formulas make no sense. The Shield Card formula is rather straightforward. It's just nigh-useless. And it's one of the best buff spells in the game. The others degrade too fast to be of any use.

From Zaraktheus:

The Shield spell grants a DEF Buff to the Actor and all its Allies. The size of the Buff depends on the Actor's stats, and is calculated as follows:

----------

/rd 24
+ 5
= DEF Buff

Straightforward?! A defense buff that runs off of 4 of the caster's stats is definitely something I'll call overly complex for any other game!
...into the nightfall.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: May 17, 2010, 10:22:49 PM »

From Zaraktheus:

----------

/rd 24
+ 5
= DEF Buff

Straightforward?! A defense buff that runs off of 4 of the caster's stats is definitely something I'll call overly complex for any other game!

This is SaGa Frontier - that sounds horrible simple to me >_>
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2146 on: May 17, 2010, 11:35:53 PM »
Did you not see the magic damage formula I posted a few weeks back?

Here, for those that missed it:

(((((WIL^2 * ((INT+WIL+PSY+40)/4) * 3.125 * HiddenSkillValue1) / (WIL^2 +1600) + (ComboBonus * (HSV1-2) + 4*HSV2) + (PSY^2)/16 + (INT+WIL+PSY+100)/4 * 2 * JPcost) * (128-VIT/4 + DEF)/128 ) - DEF ) / MysticHiddenValue*AllyEnemyLabelMult/3 ) + (RandomValue between 0 and the number of spells a PC knows+10)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2147 on: May 17, 2010, 11:42:08 PM »
How did these games even get made? Did someone have a picture of Square's execs fucking a dog?

Just Another Day

• Just Another Dollar
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • (BL)
« Reply #2148 on: May 17, 2010, 11:55:48 PM »
I liked it. Formula opacity isn't really that terrible sin, particularly for the vast majority of more or less casual gamers.

Not that SF wasn't rough around the edges. It was rough around the middle, really, to say nothing of the edges. But it was fun and quirky and difficult and huge in scope, so, yeah. Worked for me.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: May 17, 2010, 11:58:00 PM »
Worse - pictures of them approving Final Fantasy II.