Register

Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 362845 times)

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #2875 on: July 03, 2010, 08:00:03 PM »
Playing some Dragon Age. Usually my Dwarf runs around smashing in skulls with a giant hammer, but sometimes he likes to fuck.

And you just ruined Dragon Age's plot for everyone planning on playing a dwarf!

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: July 03, 2010, 08:23:33 PM »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2877 on: July 03, 2010, 09:19:55 PM »
Playing some Dragon Age. Usually my Dwarf runs around smashing in skulls with a giant hammer, but sometimes he likes to fuck.

And you just ruined Dragon Age's plot for everyone planning on playing a dwarf!

No, MF did. You'll notice I never specified WHO.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: July 03, 2010, 10:09:05 PM »
Strange Journey - Beat up an oversized snake, wandering around trying to find the ghosts of bosses past.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: July 03, 2010, 10:10:44 PM »
AAI: 5-5. Soooooooooooooo good. Mental scarring is a go.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2880 on: July 03, 2010, 10:59:05 PM »
Also, your mages shouldn't have problems surviving Blizzara.
Oh. Guess I need more training. >.>

Not necessarily either. I know Blizzara overkilled my Black Mage Arc and Hein wasn't a scary boss anyway. You just cope and go ahead, you have Phoenix Downs for a reason. >_>
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: July 04, 2010, 05:13:54 AM »
AAI: Done! I'll be writing up a nice entry for it in a bit, but yay~

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: July 04, 2010, 06:06:03 AM »
AAA has crafted:

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: July 04, 2010, 06:19:25 AM »
FF13: Closing in on the end of Chapter 10. I hope this game ends soon because this entire chapter has just been a mess and did a royally good job at pissing me off >_>.

VPDS: Speaking of things that piss you off, wow. Just...what happened Tri-Ace? I only played like 3 hours, and there's already a list of annoying/bad things popping up -

a) No damage projections? I mean, okay, for a chain, understandable. But for a menu cast spell?
b) I can't adjust my facing after doing certain actions? Great, so I have to adjust the way I move towards where I want to go. Feels needlessly silly
c) Sin requirements/Super Sin requirements feel dumb since every enemy becomes chip, chip, Overkill. Also hard to do on some enemies.
d) Why is everything so freaking slow? From menu loading times to even skipping PWS animation, it feels sluggish. This was not the way VP/VP2 were. And is probably the killing factor here.
e) It would also be nice if your descriptions were more accurate and there was a bit more documentation floating around. Outlining enemy movement when selecting the enemy would also be nice instead of just telling me how far they moved.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: July 04, 2010, 06:31:52 AM »
While I am all for the criticising of VPDS' many faults, I don't think facing direction actually means anything? Could easily be wrong here, and if I am, then yeah, that's stupid.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: July 04, 2010, 06:33:57 AM »
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth: Finished!

Spoilers within!

I think this game is pretty sweet overall, if you couldn’t tell by the fact that I beat it in like 1/30th of the time that I beat the next fastest PW game. I can’t decide where it ranks among the games other than that it’s definitely better than 1. Before 5-5, I was definitely kneejerking it below 3 but 5-5 will make me reconsider this.

So what do I like so much about the game? Well, Edgeworth is one of my favorite characters in the series due to his appearances in 1-3, 2-4, and 3-5 and I think the game is very good at making him seem much shier and more introverted than Phoenix. He is definitely more lost-in-thought than the at times gung-ho and talkative Phoenix. I think they do a really good job at portraying him in 5-4 as this kinda bratty kid who was raised by freaking Manfred. Having him as a cameo in the case was awesome.

I don’t think I could do an epicly long rant because I am lazy and my hands are already starting to hurt but~

5-1: Nice introduction. I think it’s on par with 1-1 and 3-1 in quality or so~ I think it’s a bit better for everything except Maggey Byrde which lowers it down to 1-1/3-1 level.

5-2: I like this case quite a bit. It’s quite neat. I found it pretty fun to figure out what happened and there’s no glaring flaws or anything like that. There’s a little something missing though, and I dunno what it is. It’s a decent case but can’t really compare to things at the top.

5-3: This case I already went over, but I find it comparable to 1-2, which I’m not all that fond of.

5-4: My biggest complaint here is that it is too easy. I love interrogating the Judge and figuring out Gumshoe’s secret. Baby Fran is kawaii. Nice mystery too. I am quite fond of this case just for the various “Wow, cool!” factor.

5-5: The Hallmark case of the game. Very well-executed, has enough mental scarring for my taste, and I quite like the case up to the very end where it suffers from PW-syndrome – aww geez can we just get this over with??!

Overall: 5-5 > 5-4 > 5-2 > 5-1 >>> 5-3! Yo.

Oh, the game also has the best music in the series and the best art. Edgeworth actually looks like a bishie like he seems like he's supposed to throughout the series!

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: July 04, 2010, 06:34:21 AM »
Well from what the game suggests, if you're struck from behind/side, then its easier for you to be stunned. Attackers hitting stunned opponents have a greater chance to generate red gems which leads to more attacks. So yes, if the game's documentation is correct, then it should do something.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: July 04, 2010, 06:35:40 AM »
Oh right, I remember reading that too now. Yeah, stupid.

Maybe.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2889 on: July 04, 2010, 08:52:14 AM »
Look, I know you're interested in the game, but could you please take it to PM?  I have no idea if this game has any chance of ever getting over here but if it does I'd like to not know half the plot before release.  Niu is bad enough about spoilers without someone egging him on.

Sorry, I figured Blaze Union would be a pretty safe game to ask about in regards to spoilers. For starters, I didn't think anyone hear cared about Yggdra Union series. But also, due to Blaze Union's status a prequel game telling some backstory on YU, I don't think there's too many big spoilers to be found that YU itself doesn't reveal.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: July 04, 2010, 02:42:59 PM »
*shrug* I always thought it was stupid that you could face any direction you wanted after doing moves in FFT.  So VPDS's change was welcome.  You're not going to attack an enemy and then turn your back to them when you're done.  VPDS punishes you for rushing out and playing hero in the middle of battle by having enemies gang up on you.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: July 04, 2010, 04:45:53 PM »
On the other hand, if you attack on a diagonal (which, unlike FFT, is something all but 2(?) PCs can do), you're at the mercy of the game's random whims of which of the two directions you face. Also from a realism standpoint, I don't see why you can't attack an enemy and face another easily enough, especially if e.g. you're an archer attacking a distant enemy then turn to focus your attention on one beside you!

I'm all for SRPGs which get rid of the time needed to make that facing direction decision... but the way to do -that- is by making facing not matter.

Also, almost every SRPG ever made punishes you for rushing out and playing hero, that is not unique to VPDS and has nothing to do with the facing direction thing which just smacks of bad polish.

Maybe.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: July 04, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
I don't know. Facing direction seems like something that it makes sense to not give you control over. If they do it, then fine it adds a little bit of strategy at the cost of time after each turn. But at the same time I kinda feel that forcing you to remain facing the direction you attacked in adds a little bit of strategy too. It doesn't seem like something you should dock a game for.

Magna Carta 2: At the endgame, basically. With all of the Kan Costs -1/2 stuff floating around I can access really powerful skills quite readily. I prefer not to use the ultimate skills because they take forevvveeerrrrrr to animate, even if they freeze time and do ginormous damage. Bosses are actually pretty capable of laying on the hurt now, although randoms are still complete garbage who are incapable of doing anything other than be timesinks. Have I mentioned how much durable randoms that do no damage are a horrible design choice? Let me do that again because they really really are.

Anyway, look forward to thinking about a stat topic for the game. Not feeling the plot or characters (surprise) although I will give points to the game for having a grade S Evil Sexy Bitch. Claire is wicked, beautiful, and somewhat crazy and realizes this.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 05:00:55 PM by Pyro »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: July 04, 2010, 05:03:16 PM »
There's no strategy in hoping that you face the right direction after you make a diagonal attack.

Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2895 on: July 04, 2010, 05:19:44 PM »
Its one thing if the game is consistent and its "You always face the direction of your last attack."  Not saying I suppose this, but at least you know what's coming ahead.  But then, the diagonal thing still exists (though, there could be ways around that, such like "Which way you face depends on which way you were facing before hand" as a random example) for moves with more than one range. 

Being at the mercy of the RNG for stupid shit like that is just lack of polish.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: July 04, 2010, 06:50:35 PM »
Not that it really matters, given how badly VPDS fails at being challenging and strategic in most all fronts anyway and the way you face ends up being mostly irrelevant in practice. This, of course, in no way excuses the braindead mindset VPDS kept when building up its general design ideas regardless.

XF - 3-5 or something. The plot is like the horrible culmination of all the cheese in the moon and in Switzerland and it's glorious. I haven't had this much fun with a villain cast in fucking years.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 06:53:58 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: July 04, 2010, 07:17:30 PM »
Oh, since this is the What Hats Are You Wearing? topic for this page, in part:

<Laggy> ...
<Laggy> you got a killer kabuto?
<SageAcrin> Me?
<Laggy> Yes.
<SageAcrin> I did?
<SageAcrin> ...
* SageAcrin looks.
<Laggy> Or I am staring at the wrong profile.
<Laggy> Hotrod, ushanka, killer kabuto.
<SageAcrin> ...
<SageAcrin> I'll be a son of a...
<Laggy> And beanie.
<SageAcrin> When the fuck did I get that!?
<Laggy> I don't know.
<SageAcrin> ^_^
<Laggy> Go make Trips rage some more.
<Laggy> http://www.tf2items.com/profiles/76561198014931847
<SageAcrin> Some time in the last six days.
<Taishyr> *cry some more
* SageAcrin checks history, that's all he can get out of it. Huh, I...know I flip through the item screens awfully, awfully fast sometimes.
<SageAcrin> "FUCK NO TIME FOR THIS PEOPLE DYING", etc.
<SageAcrin> Must have been one of those.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2898 on: July 04, 2010, 08:21:59 PM »
I fucking hate square grids, to be honest. Hexes, please.

(Thank you, Civ 5).

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: July 05, 2010, 12:05:23 AM »
Me and a bunch of friends went down to the local yugioh tourny to see how we matched up but they chickened out because their decks weren't ready/didn't have the money, so I was the only one entering out of us all. The Decktype I use is Vanilla. For those not familiar with the game there are five types of monsters, Normal which is mostly known as Vanilla, effect, Ritiual, Fusion and Syncro. Vanilla cards are widely considered worthless because they lack effects like the other types but that is why I love them so much. Smashing snobs who use cookie cutter decks worth huge amounts of money with a deck of "Worthless" cards is so much fun.

My Deck isn't yet at a point I could call perfect but its still decent enough win me 3/4 of the duels I had.

Monsters: 19

10 Vanilla 1900s
3 Gene-Warped Warwolf
3 Blue Eyes White Dragon
1 Marshmallon
1 Morphing Jar
1 Sangan

Spells: 13

3 Heart of the Underdog
2 Hand Destruction
1 Lightning Vortex
1 Heavy Storm
2 My Body as a Shield
2 Ancient Rules
2 Symbols of Duty

Traps: 16

2 Skill Drain
1 Call Of The Haunted
2 Birthright
2 Justi-Break
2 Dark Bribe
1 Solemn Judgment
1 Starlight Road
2 Curse of Anubis
2 Ultimate Offering
1 Torrential Tribute

Total cards: 48

Extra deck

1 Stardust Dragon

The duel that stuck in my mind was:

Vannilla vs Ancient Gear deck
First Round: I was surprised to see Ancient gears, but no doubt he was more surprised to see me run Vanilla. First round went to him as while I had the traps to stop him I couldn't use them due to the Ancient gears effects.

Second Round: From the reactions he was giving it was like he had a bad hand so he stalled with swords which gave me time to get 5 1900s out onto the field. Then he pulls Ancient gear Golom (3000atk), the super version (4400atk) and the dog gear (2000atk). He had bluffed of course but so had I! Its true that I can't stop Ancient Gears when they attack due to their effect but I had an ace up my sleeve in Skill Drain. He was unfazed of course and attacked anyway.

Me: Activate Trap card! JUSTI-BREAK!
Him: What the hell does that do?
Me: Simple. You touch a vanilla monster and all your effect monsters go boom.
*His whole monster field wiped out*
Him: Damn I've lost this.
*I attack for 10,000 or so lifepoint damage*

Third round: This one lasts much longer because we both kept drawing massive amounts of defencive cards but I got him in the end. He once again relied on his Super Gear (4400atk) to win the game and it did... for me that is! I used Curse of Anubis to render his Golom weak and powerless allowing me to destroy it. Then one of my lovely Vanilla Monsters gave his life to power my Symbols of Duty card.
Me: I activate Symbols of Duty.
Him: What does it do?
Me: I have to destroy one of my Vanilla monsters to use it but then I can bring any monster from the grave to the field.
Him: Any?
Me: Yes such as your 4400 atk Golom.

I went on to win of course with his own monster. Besides this duel everything went pretty standard but people there used more varied deck types so it was overall more fun to play this time round. Normally 99% of people run the same deck against you which gets annoying buts it nice to play against other decktypes for a change.