imageRegister

Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 362630 times)

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #3325 on: August 03, 2010, 03:52:26 PM »
No GIGATHROW hype?!

I built Eight as Courage/Swords, Yangus as Axe/Scythes/Humanity (for WHISTLE and KABUFF - he also gains Midheal and Golden Oldies, though those are high level), Jessica as Staff (Kazing at 100, and loads of support skills before that)/Whips (up to Attack+25)/Sex Appeal (Why WOULDN'T I build a skillset called Sex Appeal?), Angelo Bow/Staff.  Any set-up works acceptably for anyone, though some are better than others (still haven't found a use for Jessica's daggers, for instance).
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: August 03, 2010, 04:18:07 PM »
With regards to War's art...

I didn't mean the ART was bad so much as the character design is pretty laughable.  I mean, I figured Yahtzee was exaggerating here as he often does, but no, he was very much spot on; its like a WoW character shoving all the best things on with no regard for how good it looks, so your outfit looks like a garbled mess of everything.  I've seen Soul Calibur Auto-Generated Characters whose designs make more sense than War's for crying out loud!

Thankfully, it is tolerable, as there's nothing offensive about it, just looks bad and silly.  The art itself isn't bad, its a pure design thing.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: August 03, 2010, 07:16:59 PM »
Dragon Quest VIII: Had the alchemy pot (and the horse who for some reason didn't resist) stolen, got it back and then did the quests that gets me a ship. Also cleared two arena ranks. I'm currently moving around and unlocking places for my Zoom spell.

Random encounters are really easy with my builds. Super Throw + Thin Air leaves very little alive. Yangus' Thin Air will eventually lose it's edge, but by then I should have other options. As has been noted, the hero lacks a good boss killer move. I think only Dhoulmagus will be a problem though and it shouldn't get worse than that I have to beat form 1, wipe, then beat form 2.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: August 03, 2010, 08:17:16 PM »
DQ9:  Finally got to where I can beat Baramos (cough, at level 1) reliably.  Used him to get up to 80 mini medals for the last item.  Zoma is still too damn strong.

Party is currently Luminary (the hero), Gladiator, Ranger, Priest.  Luminary sucks, but I still like it.  Currently have the hero with sunglasses and a guitar so I can rock out on enemies in style.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: August 03, 2010, 08:23:42 PM »
Oh of course, it is Warhammer art.  Warhammer is retarded.  Especially in the character design department.  HEY GUYS I HEARD YOU REALLY LIKED CHAINSWORDS AND STUFF SO LETS MAKE A GAUNTLET CHAINFIST THAT HAS CHAINS MADE OUT OF PURE ENERGY SO YOU CAN PUNCH TANKS WITH IT OKAY THIS IS SO AWESOME.

BoF 4 - Been poking at this slowly.  Just got Scias and started fishing at Ocean 1.  All things told I have probably sunk almost as much time into fishing as I have the regular game and I even missed Lake spot 1 by accident.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: August 03, 2010, 11:17:16 PM »
Beat OG1. Fun game, but nothing amazing. Shame people dislike robots in the DL.

Also started OG2 and man you can really tell five years passed between the games. Stuff like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SziDbSthYDA makes me wish I was playing the PS2 version instead though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds46-Q3LUo4 (POSSIBLE SRW PLOT SPOILERS I GUESS.)

This is what I think of when I think of OGs and pretty. (Game's pretty in general though. The real quirk is that even low end mechs get pretty finishers.)
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3331 on: August 04, 2010, 12:27:33 AM »
WA XF: Still slowing chugging away at this. The battles just take so long that it's hard to keep any sort of momentum going. And if I manage to get into the battles, then the story segments are too long and unskippable.

I'm liking Katrina more than I expected.

Just got the third set of jobs. These things have all kinds of nice broken options as their second-learned skills. Except Strider. Why does Strider exist?

Any suggestions about this particular set of jobs? I think Enigmancer may have some kind of potential that I'm not immediately seeing.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: August 04, 2010, 12:40:13 AM »
Strider exists because its OC is awesome. Swift Shock is Quick Hit, never a bad thing to have. Drop Kick is -finally- a long-range physical attack, and pretty much the most damaging one (depending on equips) too. Mesmerise is a pretty MT bilnd move, and Trail has situational uses, especially for the last PC.

Also Aim+25% is cool. Accuracy isn't really something you can take for granted in this game. As a carrier, all it really offers is that and 7 CLM, but eh, could be worse.

Enigmancer has Devastate, which is a terrific, multitarget, powerful magic attack. Toss in Rush and it's a great way to kill things (though it's decent even without). The rest of the OC has some decent situational uses, especially Dispel, which acts as both a classic dispel and status healer. IFF is terrific to stack on top of Devastate, obviously, but also Widespread and a few other things. And it's a 4 move mage, as a carrier.

Berserker has good overall stats and 8 move but can only move in a straight line. There's a couple battles where it's immensely valuable, but otherwise, you should play with the move and see if you can make it work for you. Quick Step's neat, the rest of the OC worth talking about needs a spear and a flat map, though is good then. MOV Up is a great ability, but takes serious investment to the point where I've never actually gotten it.

Grappler is my least favourite, but if you can make moving enemies and allies work for you, go for it. It's not terrible on damage, either; I'd like it more if it didn't show up at the same time as two other appealing options for physical characters. Accelerate deserves note for being rather potent for a L3 skill, though. I don't really like what it does to long-term strategising, but it's hard to argue with its bang for its buck; it's probably over half as potent as Rfx+25% and costs about 10% of the CSP to get.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: August 04, 2010, 12:41:40 AM »
Oh, speaking of XF, I should post this too. Almost done~~

5-1 (No time for sin and Weis)

Weisheit and Asgard, together at last! I split up my forces here, with Elayne heading to the right to take out the golems there since she two-shots them, and the other two head up the left. This has the benefit of separating Weisheit and Asgard. I wipe out all the six regular golems, and when I do, four more arrive. Elayne isn't able to deal with this on her own, and gets killed by a combination of one and Asgard. Clarissa also dies on the other side, but Vin is able to retreat down a cliff (catching Weisheit above it where he can't do much), and use Revive Fruits until I get back in the battle. From there on it's a matter of wiping out the remaining golems. Asgard can nicely be ignored, as he's out of the battle now and will stay that way.

Weisheit himself is similar to last time, but easier now that I've separated him and his help. Spam Rob Turn and the usual three stat downs, profit. Pretty tough overall and what I did with Asgard arguably qualifies as degenerate, but oh well.

5-2 (Gate Victims)

Gate Victims are pretty durable for their unimpressive HP, with the flying attribute, ridiculous elemental resistances, and decent status resistances. Levin gets to shine here as he turns their 30% chance to be hit with petrify into 45%. I get rather ridiculously lucky with this, and even Clarissa's boring old 30%, which really helps. The harpies themselves have oodles of status ailments which are quite annoying, and they're quite damaging as they inflict said statuses. I lose a PC here, unshockingly, but it's nothing I can't regroup from. Fortunately, I do have the aforementioned good luck, and there aren't that many enemies/none are overly durable (I just kill some outright with non-elemental magic well enough), so this isn't too bad.

5-3 (Blackbird singing in the dead of night)

The clysmian is really shockingly wussy for the plot hype. 3500 HP is solid enough, but nothing that matters really is. Oh, she flies and has good physical durability stats, but the magic durability is lacking, and that's the important one if anything. I guess there are worse gimmicks to have, but when you start in front of all your support and Devastate spam is so good at carving you up, you'd better have awesome speed or damage or something. She's not horrid at these, and Prevent no longer works unlike the first fight, but eh, easy enough. Usual three stat downs are set, then Elementalist Elayne slaps on Devastate upon Devastate and I turn shift her to get more, the battle is short enough that I can do this. The Fright Knights eventually reach her and start trying to heal her but they can't keep up with the silliness of Turn Shift-boosted offence. Kaboom. Easiest fight in the final act.

5-4

Uh oh.

Maybe.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: August 04, 2010, 01:09:47 AM »
WC3 - So SC2 babble got me interested, and when I get a new rig I'm going to get SC2, so I figured I may as well learn an RTS before doing so.

I'm... at the end of the Human campaign, I think?  One of the last maps in any case.  I do pretty well when fighting, and the maps where you don't have a base are my bitch since I got those skills from playing Footmen Frenzy.  However, micromanaging my shit is... uh... yeah.  Fortunately, my roommate knows all the keyboard shortcuts, so once I get used to those I'll do a lot better I think.

Also, the story is terrible. 

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: August 04, 2010, 02:42:32 AM »
Makai Kingdom- Was looking for a game to play, remembered I had this and Devil Summoner from Miki. Just started it. I have to say, the VA for Zetta is *perfect*, and really helps set the tone for the game. It's making me smile and the combat looks fun enough.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: August 04, 2010, 03:47:46 AM »
BoF4 - At about the same spot as Grefter, just not as slowly. Haven't fished yet or anything.

I'd like to say that I really, really like it, but... man, it might just be playing on a keyboard, but actually getting anywhere in a damned town is a chore, and some of the required mini-games are bad. Nice little package otherwise though. I like the battles, I like the characters, setting, music, etc. Nothing terribly stand-out (yet) but Fou-Lu is already pretty cool, and I definitely want to see where things head with him.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #3337 on: August 04, 2010, 03:52:58 AM »
BoF as a series has some shit camera issues, and the hide and seek game turns this into world rending rage.  As you go, though, the towns tend to be small enough that you don't have the issue as much as I recall.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: August 04, 2010, 04:16:38 AM »
Fucking Capcom.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: August 04, 2010, 04:55:36 AM »
S5 - The scene after the Queen's Campaign is still plennnty effective on a replay.

Gameplay notes... lost the QC war battle because "enemy retreats... right into Roy!" happened twice in a row, awesome war battle system is awesome. For normal battles, so far I'm running 13 PCs semi-seriously: Prince, Lyon, Miakis, Belcoot, Isabel, Mathias, Richard, Bernadette, Shigure, Zerase, Nelis, Kyle, and Lorelai. I have three Magic Absorbs, six Double-Edges, a Boost, Power, a Fury, two Rages, and more Crazeds that I know what to do with (I don't like 'em much anyway). Worlds get smashed, I could give detailed PC notes but that probably belongs later anyway. Most of it would be pretty boring, holy crap most of these PCs are broken! Prince/Kyle/Mathias feel like the weakest of the 13, unfortunately in the former's case (gah no RH slot + below average speed). He's still decent enough mind.

The game is inferior to S3 in so many small ways it drives me up the wall (mostly remarking on this due to watching one while playing the other), from graphics (anywhere but cutscenes) to menus to interface to load times to of course the obvious things like recruitment and challenge. S5 does win the things it does very well though, such as translation.

Currently around 37 hours in.

Maybe.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: August 04, 2010, 05:11:15 AM »
Blazblue CS- *Downloads update

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: August 04, 2010, 12:08:17 PM »
StarCraft 2: Tosh is a badass.

Pffft, Nova is way cooler!

Horrible lies!

Well, I've also gone and beat Starcraft 2.  On Normal of course, because I would have broken my desk if I had to reload a mission because it takes 40 minutes.

The ONLY complaint I have is that most of the missions that introduced new units were usually "mass this unit and win or don't mass this unit and lose."  The major exception was the goliath mission...  Marine/Medic beats air a lot better than goliaths do.

That mean you used Wraiths?

Yeah on the Odin mission... they were useless outside of that mission.
Diamondbacks were freaking awesome, but not getting mediced means I didn't use them outside of their mission.
BCs are cool, but too slow.  Only used them on their mission
You get Thors late... and they may have some value on the final mission, but I only used them on one mission and probably didn't need to.
Banshees were only used on their mission.
Firebats were only used on their mission... and even then only the 2 they started me with.

Basically... Marine/Medic/Tank beats the game minus the "use this character" missions, with Vikings for the final mission.  (If you're doing air.  For Nydus I just got to 200/200 and built Planetary Fortresses after that.)

Not saying you couldn't use all the other units if you wanted to, they'd have worked okay... just not as good as M/M/T.

Anywho, as of late I've been getting WTFed by battlenet.  Our 4s team is 29-3 and stuck in Platinum.  Meanwhile some 20-8 team got promoted to Diamond ON THE SAME DAY WE BEAT THEM 3 TIMES IN 2 HOURS.  They seriously go L,L,W,L,W and get promoted... kind of annoying.  I have a few other decent teams, but nothing with enough volume to be of note.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: August 04, 2010, 03:55:10 PM »
holy crap most of these PCs are broken!

I disagree based on the games combat being a joke.

WKC - I now have 1 GR10 water blade, 4 GR9 blades for fire, wind, earth and non-elem. My armor is taking far longer to get but I have 2 GR10 pieces at the moment so 2 to go.

I could have worn the generals set ages ago but I hate that armor as GR10s seem to think its a uniform they must wear once they hit GR10. I guess its because it is so easy to make but seriously the armor is horrible.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: August 04, 2010, 04:03:40 PM »
I disagree based on the games combat being a joke.

No, really?

Maybe.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: August 04, 2010, 04:27:06 PM »
StarCraft 2: Tosh is a badass.

Pffft, Nova is way cooler!

Horrible lies!

Well, I've also gone and beat Starcraft 2.  On Normal of course, because I would have broken my desk if I had to reload a mission because it takes 40 minutes.

The ONLY complaint I have is that most of the missions that introduced new units were usually "mass this unit and win or don't mass this unit and lose."  The major exception was the goliath mission...  Marine/Medic beats air a lot better than goliaths do.

That mean you used Wraiths?

Yeah on the Odin mission... they were useless outside of that mission.

That doesn't excuse anything!

Diamondbacks were freaking awesome, but not getting mediced means I didn't use them outside of their mission.
BCs are cool, but too slow.  Only used them on their mission
You get Thors late... and they may have some value on the final mission, but I only used them on one mission and probably didn't need to.
Banshees were only used on their mission.
Firebats were only used on their mission... and even then only the 2 they started me with.

Basically... Marine/Medic/Tank beats the game minus the "use this character" missions, with Vikings for the final mission.  (If you're doing air.  For Nydus I just got to 200/200 and built Planetary Fortresses after that.)

Not saying you couldn't use all the other units if you wanted to, they'd have worked okay... just not as good as M/M/T.

Planetary Fortresses?  You're the first person I've met who chose those over the Flame Turrets.  Banshees shine on the Nydus final though.  Since nothing else can reach the worms as fast as them.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3345 on: August 04, 2010, 06:27:48 PM »
Isn't the fortress in multiplayer? Chapin's a tryhard tourneyfag, so that would make him gravitate toward it.

I never had luck with banshees against the worms. Too damn fragile, and all the overlords flying around mean they can't cloak their way to the worms. They were great for taking down the boss though. The worms needed to be battlecruisered.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: August 04, 2010, 06:29:20 PM »
S3: Should I play as Hugo or Geddoe for my FC?
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Bardiche

« Reply #3347 on: August 04, 2010, 08:38:39 PM »
Did you do either of them before? Hugo's got a pretty boring storyline as far as I know. I played with him as my FC. I hear Geddoe's FC path shows some more history on the Flame Champion.

iirc all Hugo's did was. Uh. I... don't think there was anything too unique about his PoV, even though he's the canonical FC.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: August 04, 2010, 08:40:15 PM »
I've done Chris before and that's it.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #3349 on: August 04, 2010, 08:44:41 PM »
Ohhh.  In that case, definitely Geddoe.  There's not a LOT of extra story there, but it's more than Hugo has, and Geddoe makes a good flaming champion; the extra point of Fire grade he has makes him a lot easier to twink for it.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.