Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 361956 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #3875 on: October 08, 2010, 08:12:21 AM »
Not an RPG but should be out in Platinum/The Best/El Cheapo edition by now, inFamous is pretty awesome and looks to be the one of the two that has lasted longer in gamer's collective memory between it and Prototype.  Errrr Force Unleashed was alrightish?  RPGs on PS3 are honestly kind of meh.  Eternal Sonata sucked horribly.  It didn't get Blue Dragon.  Enchanted Arms is alright?  It has none of the "decent release RPG for a change" thing going for it that the X-Box version did.  It has a tranny playing saxaphone I guess.  If you are just after "eh this is alright" and need an RPG it is a good contender.  Star Ocean 4 blows goats for quarters.  There really isn't that many RPGs on the system I bother with.  It has a good stable of action games though.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #3876 on: October 08, 2010, 09:24:35 AM »
There aren't a whole lot of noteworthy RPGs on modern consoles, and a lot of the quality ones are better played on a PC anyway.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: October 08, 2010, 10:27:33 AM »
Demon Souls? That's the main reason I want a PS3, other than VC. >.>

Anyways, @topic:
Etrian Odyssey 3: For something that kills me so damn much, this game is addictive. The port exploration is so much fun, mostly because I'm a sucker for puzzles and that's more exploration-based puzzle than griiiiiiind.
...Except I just died on a sea quest. Hrm. Go, go, difficulty curve? Ah, well, time to carry on griiiiiinding. >.<

Taishyr

« Reply #3878 on: October 08, 2010, 01:16:17 PM »
Sea quests... in general you'll do okay if you're a few levels above the NPCs asking you to help out.

EO3: Almost... done... with... second... strata...

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: October 08, 2010, 01:45:54 PM »
Oh, hrm. Managed to win one of the second set of quests, despite only being around Lv 10 at the time. Then really failed it up against the next one. >.>

Taishyr

« Reply #3880 on: October 08, 2010, 01:58:02 PM »
Heh.

Some of the help is... uh... severely incompetent compared to what needs to be done. Some aren't. Really depends on which group it is. (The Princess+bodyguards squadron is usually pretty competent, esp. for a three-person group. Then there's the "Three Youth", who pretty much suck.)

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: October 08, 2010, 05:15:14 PM »
Some of the help is... uh... severely incompetent compared to what needs to be done. Some aren't. Really depends on which group it is. (The Princess+bodyguards squadron is usually pretty competent, esp. for a three-person group. Then there's the "Three Youth", who pretty much suck.)

*strikes Three Youths, replaces with Farmer and Gladiator duo. <_<*

Granted Three Youths works to the nature of the Batavia Sea Quest, but still, the Farmer and Gladiator duo is sorta terrible.

Etrian Odyssey 3: So, this game isn't out over here, but one of my friends got me an import copy for my birthday. OH DEAR GOD I KEEP DYING. Yeah, this is typical Atlus. That said, having not played EO2, this is a huuuuge jump up for me. Limits, the Port and actually having some early character interaction makes this much, MUCH better than EO1, and I like the vaguely different classes, for all that I'm not using most of the original ones.

Team is:
Prince Cosmos
Monk Katylin
Arbalist Leodil
Zodiac Isolde
Farmer Wololo

That's a pretty frail team right there, in fairness.  You may or may not want to switch out someone for a Hoplite, since they tend to make good targets for the AI, have decent damage, and can cover people.  Though if you don't want to go through the trouble of raising one up from scratch you can probably manage without.

Also oh right yeah I play things.

Etrian Odyssey 3: Oddly enough I haven't run into a wipe yet.  Well, I'm only on Floor 7, so that's bound to change eventually.

4 Heroes Of Light: So this is a game about hats.  I see.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:21:37 PM by Random Consonant »

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: October 08, 2010, 05:57:57 PM »
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
All three stories finished, final scenario beaten.

What can I say about KH BBS? It's fun. Whether making new command/abilities, taking out hordes of enemies while balancing several of your powers/abilities/modes, or beating an insanely hard boss, the game just doesn't ever stop being fun. I will say that some of the bosses are unfairly hard on Proud mode (which I was told I had to play lest it be impossible for me to get the final scenario). But I suppose I am partly to blame for not optimizing skillsets prior to boss fights (Some group-target stuff is worthless against them, say).

The plot is silly, but hey Disney characters so it can be at least nostalgic. The main three characters aren't exactly stellar, in part because of some very poor VA on the part of Terra and Aqua (This does not prevent me from liking Aqua due to style. CARTWHEELS).

But yeah, fantastic gameplay and Disney =  a KH game for sure.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3883 on: October 09, 2010, 04:46:09 AM »
Resonance of Fate: Hey, I finished this! Also, I recommend it as a breezy current-gen RPG.

Plot is scarce, but character interaction is really fun and light-hearted, despite the very dark setting.

More importantly, the battle system comes together quite nicely. My only complaint is that it stagnates as it goes on. It really needed to evolve a little bit more or offer more powerful options or something.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: October 09, 2010, 04:34:51 PM »
Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition (Not sure if this is different then any other edition.)

Started on Ameture, because I haven't played a RE game since Code Veronica.

Uhm, this game is fun I guess. My gf won't even watch me play this game which is mildly amusing. She says it will give her nightmares, but whatever.

I must have missed quite a bit in the RE storyline, because I am lost as far as some of the things that are going on in the story.

I am currently in chapter 3-2, and I just got away from the oil factory.

Question: Should I save my money on better weapons to upgrade or should I say...upgrade this Magnum which I and sexing with right now?
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3885 on: October 09, 2010, 05:31:41 PM »
You can find pretty much every weapon in the game for free if you look hard enough. Also generally speaking upgrading the default weapons wind up working out best.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: October 10, 2010, 12:20:14 PM »
PW3 Trials & Tribulations Wii -

Finished. Pretty good in general.

Loading pause-saves didn't end up deleting them simultaneously, thankfully.

Overstated the amount to which point-out-on-this-picture screens are shrunk to last time - it's closer to one quarter than one sixth, as would make sense. This does not exactly let it off the hook however, especially since I found out later on that you could hold 1 while you have the court record up over something to render it invisible instead of closing the record and reopening it afterwards. The heck didn't they use that sort of functionality.

Breath of Fire 1 GBA -

Picked this up to see whether an ebayer was selling generic games or not as it was cheap compared to something else I had my eye on and I really should have a legit copy of BoF1 anyway. Doesn't seem to exhibit any of the regular symptoms of generic-itis, but the other item I was considering was sold off while BoF was shipping, unfortunately.

Anyway, I hadn't replayed BoF1 in a while, so it was the perfect time to start.

Currently up to fetching some water to deal with Romero's zombies.

Persona 3 -

Currently 26/04. Recently unlocked the 5th floor terminal so I will be heading up there the next chance I get probably. Seems fairly enjoyable so far. Seems like people get tired pretty easily - hopefully this is just due to being early on?

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #3887 on: October 10, 2010, 07:55:31 PM »
How long you go before getting tired is a function of level, so yeah.  It's just because you're early.
Level (or, rather, level GAPS) are also a modifier to damage dealt and status hit rates, so basically if at any point in that game you struggle you're supposed to go out and level.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: October 10, 2010, 08:00:24 PM »
Saga Frontier - Beat Asellus' quest! Got the full mystic ending for great Ciato fandom, it is pretty awesome.

Game was quite fun overall. It has a bit of a learning/adapting curve which is mostly the fault of its rather cumbersome, clunky interface. The game just plain doesn't tell you a lot of important things, from navigating the world to how most of its systems work. It's a shame because, although they're not perfect, it's obvious a lot of love went into said systems. The game ended up being quite addicting by the end and the fanbase is easy to fathom, although I have nooo idea what I rate the game myself. Game's plot barely exists, but what is there is far from the genre norm, so that's something I respect at least. It's not a game you can really play for plot, but for a gameplay game with little plot, it works okay.

Final party had around 800 HP by the end or so, which I'm told is a bit high, but eh, I did all the dungeons more or less, even ones that there's no compelling plot reason to do, so that's probably why. I didn't fight nearly everything in 'em though. For all that the game doesn't really encourage you to? I dunno. Don't think it matters too much. Game time was around 14 hours.

My dudes!

Asellus - Well, I was too lazy to get good absorbs for her, so she couldn't really rape bosses as badly as would have been fun. Since bosses in the game are kinda rare and the only competent late one was Orlouge, this didn't really matter too much. Anyway, loved swords. Deflect and Kasumi are sexy, and Asellus got RosarioImpale and Haze-to-Wheel easily, with various other ST attacks and Gale Slash (really early!) holding her until then. Asura is pretty broked for... pretty much the whole game, but certainly stupidly so early.

White Rose - Great early as a healer/support character/decent mage. Her stats and damage both certainly fell off as time went by, particularly the latter, even though she had Megawindblast. 'sokay, works as a jeigan of sorts.

Mesarthim - Only had for one dungeon, but I have to point out that Life Rain is awesome.

Gen - Used him to punch things. He got DSC like halfway through the game, but I refused to use it since it is silly. (Well, besides once to see shiny.) Anyway, fists generally seemed a little inferior to swords, due to lack of MT and deflect-style shenanigans (Okay, there is KO Throw and Swayback, but whatever), as well as less damage overall. Of course, they have the benefit of not needing a weapon, which isn't negligible or anything. Solid enough.

Emilia - Gunner. For the first half of the game... well, bad initially. Then she got Stun Shot and Quickdraw, and suddenly she could MT stun enemies about 2/3 of the time. Not bad! But not much else, so pretty mediocre, especially for those rare bosses. Then eventually I decided "uh maybe I should actually give her a gun that didn't suck". This was after she'd learned the entire damn gun skillset, for the record. And suddenly she vaulted into game-best damage with Two-Gun Lethal Gun Trick Shot, decent MT backup, initiative, etc., and was one of the best PCs for sure. Eventually lost best damage to Asellus again but no big.

Rouge - Casts the spells that makes people fall down. Just seemed so good at picking up and using any magic I wanted, 8 skill slots unlike the mystics was really nice. Got Light early to go with his Realm stuff, Arcane when I did that quest which was probably done about halfway through or so. Arcane wasn't really too impressive (biggest use I got out of it was free Snake Oils, in effect) but smashing things with Megawindblast worked very effectively and Implosion was a terrific cost-effective damage/instant death move, and Starlight Heal is always handy. Speed and durability were a bit shaky (main downside of magic near as I can tell, for humans at least), but skillset + MT is cool.

Sharp Pain Zozma - Holy crap Sharp Pain is stupid good. Nothing else about Zozma is especially notable, but hey, Sharp Pain made him an easy fit to slide into another party. Waited until getting him to do the Rune quests so he could do something in boss fights, Victory and Vitality Runes are cool enough, Soul Rune seems like it'd be cool on someone with damage but haha. Starlight Heal is helpful as always. Managed to get him three Suzakus as absorbs which are apparently really good, who knew! Generally I found mystic abilities not even close to worth the troubling of messing around with, just getting the stuff for non-fail stats was trying enough. And he had a cannon if he really needed to do something approaching damage, but why bother? Sharp Pain everything, be a good buffer/healer for bosses. It worked.

Uh huh. Don't ask me which quest I'm playing next. Maybe Emilia.

--

LFT Summoner SCC - At Murond. I'll throw a more detailed summary into the LFT topic at some point, since Laggy actually reads that. Odin is awesome. Adramelk is satan.

Suikoden Tierkreis - Level 42, 51 stars of destiny, 25 hours in. Still a highly enjoyable story. Little to say without spoilers.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: October 10, 2010, 10:17:46 PM »
Did you enjoy the furrytastic scenes?

Lost Odyssey - Side questing time on Disc 4.  Doing stuff.  Things are happening.  Going to do the download dungeon because I payed for it more than I really wanted to.  Good game but just a touch to long, the plot and gameplay aren't fully realised enough to sustain a 40 hour RPG (nevermind that I have like 50 hours up on it?  I think I left it on by accident one day), but a 30ish hour one would have worked just fine.

Have read a few guides on bits and pieces and have seen fights that people reccomend parties that don't use all the Immortals.  This is silly.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: October 11, 2010, 01:09:14 AM »
DQ9: Beat main game, got the Whistle.
Hero (Warrior): Mastered swords, shields, Paladin, dabbled in a few others. Focused on tankitude and dealing damage through swords. Was consistantly the best damage shield, MVP.
Female Gladiator: Mastered knives, Paladin, Thief. Basically centered around speed and stealing, which was helpful in everything but fights. LVP of the final sections.
Female Martial Artist (L59): Mastered claws, halfway done MA. Never changed vocations. Ever. A definite Glass Cannon, best damage dealer from about Alltrades until the Hero got Erdrick's Sword.
Male Sage: Mastered wands, Sage, Mage, about half-done several others. Healer for the final battles.

Super Mario Galaxy: Unlocked third hub, 21 stars.

No More Heroes: Two words - Flat "What." Got to the first save point.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: October 11, 2010, 03:33:50 AM »
Etrian Odyssey 3: Whee second stratum cleared and subclasses get

Taishyr

« Reply #3892 on: October 11, 2010, 04:31:48 AM »
EO3: B12. Ninja/Monk is completely hilariously awesome silliness. Not... broken, per se? But totally amusing. CLONE *clone dies, enemy eats a fire counter, team gets 60 HP healing, Ninja heals TP* CLONE *ad nauseum* Accurate damaging MT can take the wind out of its sails easily enough, but ST opponents -hate- the Ninja. Flat out hate.

Chose to protect, which I think means I get Yggdroids. Will probably do retirements after I get them (well, get people to L40 since everyone's close) and recalibrate my team some. Main team's Hoplite/Warrior/Princess// NinjaMonk/Buccaneer, haven't solidly decided on subclasses for Hoplite/Princess/Buccaneer, gonna do YggdroidWarrior.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: October 11, 2010, 04:58:42 AM »
LO- Also doing most of the side 4 on disk 4! Cleared out basically everything minus...Temple of Enlightenment and one other dungeon I believe.
...into the nightfall.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: October 11, 2010, 05:01:57 AM »
started Soul Nomad.  I underestimated how literally this game is Ogre Battle meets Disgaea (closer to Makai Kingdom, actually, what with the bodiless overlord/menu, but anyway...).  Gig is entertaining, and whatsername the cowgirl is a great foil to him.  Fun stuff.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 07:16:31 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: October 11, 2010, 11:22:52 AM »
whoaholyshit were those your end game levels or ones after doing post game?  Cause maaan I did the final at like 45 at highest and still haven't wiped yet >_>  Ooooooooverkill.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: October 11, 2010, 11:57:29 AM »
That's a pretty frail team right there, in fairness.  You may or may not want to switch out someone for a Hoplite, since they tend to make good targets for the AI, have decent damage, and can cover people.  Though if you don't want to go through the trouble of raising one up from scratch you can probably manage without.

Yeah, figured that much myself. Decided to create some different classes anyways for fun, so got a Buccaneer, Hoplite and Gladiator; I decided to keep Ashnan the Hoplite, replacing Prince Cosmos. Currently levelling him up and still failing at quests. >.>

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: October 12, 2010, 01:08:00 AM »
FFTA2- Done.

The game is a massive step up from the little I played of FFTA1, but still pretty flawed.

The good: Large, varied cast system. Plot and writing are perfectly acceptable with the context of the game. Gameplay's addictive. It's a ton of fun to play and sucks up time like crazy. I'm being briefer here, since the flaws are what I want to focus on and it's merits are pretty obvious.

The bad: The actual balance of the system's wonky. Your gear is highly dependent on how devoted you are to stealing/missions, which is one thing. But if you get one of the looting skills early or late, you can really miss out. You don't get as much variety within the system until late as you expect due to this.  Law mechanics are still highly stupid, and the game takes away revival from you if you break laws. The game needed a sceneskip/textskip option as well.

The WTF: RANGER. ZERG. RUSH. There is no reason to do anything else for the main game offense wise. Mirror Item and item lore are easy to get, and rangers are a free recruit. Once you do that, hello GDragon level damage that only recruits spending a cheap storebought potion.  The stat topic probably undersells just how average shatteringly good Rangers were for the entire game, as damage spikes up some at endgame. Blood price summons/green mages make great support as well. Beyond that, the actual gap in value between value with the races is pretty bad. Rangers (Seeq) dominate the game offensively, and Viera have about a half dozen excellent classes and are really awesome status slingers. The rest is some shade of filler, though humans do have some nice lategame setups.

Ended up with 110~ missions done, but also rushed endgame a fair deal. The system was addictive as hell and you could advance the plot whenever. Final gametime was 54 hours.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: October 12, 2010, 01:37:27 AM »
Mesarthim - Only had for one dungeon, but I have to point out that Life Rain is awesome.

You can go back and get her permanently if you want to, at least in Asellus's quest. I do this in pretty much every quest that lets me because yay Life Rain.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: October 12, 2010, 08:00:22 AM »
RE:5 Beaten

Uhm, it was ok, needed more scare moments, but the whole partner thing I guess takes away from that.

So....this is the end of the series?

Oh well on to Red Dead Redemption!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion