imageRegister

Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 356695 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #4175 on: November 07, 2010, 08:02:21 AM »
Oh it works fairly perfectly thematically with so much cowboy stuff in this game, siding with the government that is coming in and settling the area, standardising the whole thing and generally making it safe is never really a positive thing in Westerns (something Rockstar hammered home perfectly in Red Dead Redemption actually).  There is other fun thematic things this plays with (post apocalyptic version being west going eastward bound and so on).  It is unsatisfying and I completely expect it to be intended as such.

I honestly really wanted to just grab the fuck them and be the man ending, but couldn't justify it without Mr House' longevity and I ahd kind of backed the NCR the whole game, so yeah stuck with the original plan.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4176 on: November 07, 2010, 10:31:41 AM »
Well, frankly, with what we know of the Fallout world, if the NCR takes out Caesar's Legion and holds New Vegas, there's nobody organized to stop them until they reach the Fascisty BoS from FOT.

From what I can gather, incidentally, FOT is canon, but only Chapter 1.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: November 07, 2010, 11:46:25 AM »
Oh yeah, I still play games, don't I?

Pokemon Heart Gold: So, there was a tournament for this at the convention I went to. I found out about it the day before and, as such, started training a team of Heatran, Scizor and SLOWBRO. Aww yeah. And then the tournament started an hour early. ...ah well, at least I still have my amazing Slowbro. (Seriously, though, why is Slowbro not used more often? Curse, Slack Off, Amnesia and Zen Headbutt or something? >.>)

Mana Khemia: Finally started a NG+ on this. Cleared Chapter 2, haven't found anything new yet. How do I get the NG+-only stuff on here? ;(
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 04:18:03 PM by Yoshiken »

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: November 07, 2010, 02:25:45 PM »
Slowbro lost his niche when other bulky waters started joining the fray. (fscking MILOTIC, Suicune, etc)  He's awesome, though. 

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: November 07, 2010, 02:29:36 PM »
Mana Khemia: Finally started a NG+ on this. Cleared Chapter 2, haven't found anything new yet. How do I get the NG+-only stuff on here? ;(

The Bonus dungeon opens up whenever you clear the chapter with the bowels of the old schoolhouse.  The Chimera area or whatever.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: November 07, 2010, 03:28:31 PM »
Slowbro's problem is that it gets slaughtered by T-tar and Scizor - not a desirable quality for a bulky Water-type in OU. Pursuit and U-turn weaknesses are not good when you're trying to tank.

Also, for what it's worth Slowking is better for Curse since it has higher special defense while Slowbro is better for Calm Mind since it has better physical defense. You want the defensive stat that you aren't boosting to be as high as possible to withstand hits better while setting up.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: November 07, 2010, 04:14:57 PM »
Hmm. Which brings me to my next question. Since Slowking has higher SpD and lower Def and nothing else different, and also gets Nasty Plot, why is it NU where Slowbro is UU? >.>
And does Curse work alongside Trick Room? Because that was my initial plan. =P

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: November 07, 2010, 04:50:10 PM »
Because Slowbro looks cooler.  Duh.  And yes, Curse+Trick Room works great.

Dawn of Heroes:  Finished unlocking all the characters, been playing multiplayer.  Play this game you slackers.

Lufia DS:  I have a magical singing elf.  LALALALALALA

Feldschlacht IV

• Dick Justice
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: November 08, 2010, 12:14:51 AM »
Yeah, I'm all over New Vegas like white on rice.

Well, frankly, with what we know of the Fallout world, if the NCR takes out Caesar's Legion and holds New Vegas, there's nobody organized to stop them until they reach the Fascisty BoS from FOT.

You never know, the Pitt (I don't know what the canonical outcome of that DLC is, but either way, they still have a working mill) and the Capital Wasteland (considering the Brotherhood of Steel is the most powerful presence there, what with the Citadel, Liberty Prime, and their unique open membership), might be top dawgs by now.
It's new. It's improved. And it's the best gamemaking site around. (and also, we host your games, screenshots, and progress logs of any maker.)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: November 08, 2010, 12:19:57 AM »
Yeah, I'm all over New Vegas like white on rice.

You never know, the Pitt (I don't know what the canonical outcome of that DLC is, but either way, they still have a working mill) and the Capital Wasteland (considering the Brotherhood of Steel is the most powerful presence there, what with the Citadel, Liberty Prime, and their unique open membership), might be top dawgs by now.

Liberty Prime is trashed as of Broken Steel, and moreover, the NCR threw down with the main Brotherhood and won. The Capital Wasteland bunch can't hold a candle to the Maxson bunker crew in terms of gear or skill.

I mean, it's a big deal in The Pitt that someone can make ammo, which I guess doesnt really happen on the East Coast. Meanwhile NCR has actual factories again, pumping out parts that the Gun Runners assemble on-site into weapons.

Nope, if anyone can take the NCR it's the Chicago Brotherhood. Open membership, but none of this volunteer crap- they come in and take over your town and you fight for them, end of story. They have the bodies, the tech, and don't waste their strength on altruistic missions like the Lyons crew.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:23:53 AM by Rob the Stampede »

Feldschlacht IV

• Dick Justice
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4185 on: November 08, 2010, 12:25:19 AM »
Liberty Prime is trashed as of Broken Steel

Right; but it's been a few years since then. It is an assumption on my part, of course, but as of Broken Steel, the main scribe did start a project to repair and possibly improve it, the Lone Wanderer can even help in a quest (it never comes to fruition within the game, but who knows what could happen in four or so years between FO3 and NV).

and moreover, the NCR threw down with the main Brotherhood and won. The Capital Wasteland bunch can't hold a candle to the Maxson bunker crew in terms of gear or skill.

See, that's sort of the thing. The Brotherhood out West and the new Eastern Brotherhood are fundamentally different; the Western Brotherhood did have the advantage of being on their original home turf with the best of their stuff, but their reclusive and 'underground' modus operanti eventually worked against them in an all out war. Just doesn't end up working well.

Meanwhile, the East Coast BOS is stomping all with their balls out in the open, with a giant Citadel, Vertibirds, Enclave technology (which I remind you is by and large more advanced than BOTH Coasts BOS), open membership (meaning, they have the entire population of whoever to recruit from, just like the NCR), and most likely the support of the entire region; after the events of Broken Steel and the Lone Wanderer's affiliation with them, I doubt centres of power like Rivet City and the like wouldn't help out in any foreign invasion, including against the NCR.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:33:51 AM by Feldschlacht IV »
It's new. It's improved. And it's the best gamemaking site around. (and also, we host your games, screenshots, and progress logs of any maker.)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: November 08, 2010, 12:35:12 AM »
Except for one thing: the Eastern BoS has no manufacturing strength to speak of. All their gear is salvaged; as per Ashur they don't actually build anything new.

NCR would have, if they win, the ability to turn all of their strength East. They're closing the tech gap on the stagnant Brotherhood fast. They build their own powered armor, vertibirds and energy weapons back in California, and now they're bolstered by the Archimedes system at Helios. Not only that, but they grossly outnumber the Capital Wasteland crew.

The longer the NCR has, the more time it had to build it's new gear. When you rely on a tech edge, it is not a good position to have a massive enemy approaching you're not even aware is coming.

Feldschlacht IV

• Dick Justice
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: November 08, 2010, 12:46:59 AM »
Except for one thing: the Eastern BoS has no manufacturing strength to speak of. All their gear is salvaged; as per Ashur they don't actually build anything new.

That is true. If I were to try to debate this statement I'd have to consider some assumptions on how the Capital Wasteland is going to progress in the future. Which I shall since Fallout is fun. Here goes;

1. There is the Pitt; which is an incredibly valuable resource for obvious reasons. Like I said before, I'm unsure what the canonical outcome of The Pitt DLC is, but either way, it wouldn't be impossible for the Lone Wanderer to go as an envoy to Pittsburgh and convince whatever ruling power is there that 'Hey bros, there's a massive force coming in from the West, can we uh...borrow your Steel Mill?  Real quick?'

If anything Ashur seems like a reasonable dude and he might be down with an alliance, even if it's temporary. Hell, he could even call up the military power of Ronto, and the geniuses of the Commonwealth, make it a party.

Alternatively the Capital Wasteland BOS could take a gamble and just try to take it the fuck over.

2. How did the NCR rediscover manufacturing? If they did it, the BOS should be able to do it as well, especially without fundamental challenges such as clean water and constant Super Mutants all up in their ass. Combined with their continual search for knowledge (the Arlington Library, for example), and its sooner rather than later.

NCR would have, if they win, the ability to turn all of their strength East. They're closing the tech gap on the stagnant Brotherhood fast. They build their own powered armor, vertibirds and energy weapons back in California, and now they're bolstered by the Archimedes system at Helios. Not only that, but they grossly outnumber the Capital Wasteland crew.

I guess this depends on what/who is lying out there in the Midwest/Great Plains/East Coast. There's a lot of ground that Fallout hasn't covered yet, and there may be a third party that's a wild card that also has the strength to give NCR a fair fight. But even if not, the NCR has to be able to expand themselves indefinitely across the entire mainland from coast to coast. One of the major things the Courier can call out on the Caeser's Legion (and thus cause them to abandon their entire efforts on the West, in just a few sentences) is this (entire conversation paraphrased as hell);

Courier: 'So uh, once you march on the West, how are you gonna babysit the East?

Legate Lanuis: 'LISTEN HERE BUDDY WE'RE THE LEGION AND WE'RE SO GREAT JUST YOU WATCH'

Courier: 'But, uh...you have finite manpower and the NCR is really, really big. So, uh...'

Legate: "'UHHH WELL YOU SUCK WE'RE LEAVING'

a massive enemy approaching you're not even aware is coming.

The East Coast BOS still has contact with the West Coast (somehow). This much is confirmed in their background story on how Lyons got dicked by his Lost Hills superiors when they changed their attitudes towards the Capital Wasteland.

I'll say this; the edge right now is with the NCR. Massively. But depending on how the East Coast plays its cards (and how the winds blow), they'll be a powerful force in its own right, very, very quickly. The days of the Capital Wasteland being a blasted hole in the ground with everyone beating rocks together, getting nothing done is over.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:56:19 AM by Feldschlacht IV »

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: November 08, 2010, 01:08:56 AM »
From what I've seen the NCR can't even defeat the fiends because they spread themselves too thin. I've not yet confronted benny but unless the NCR has been holding back this whole time for some reason I simply don't see how they can take the east coast when they have a hard enough time holding their current lands now.

Fallout NV - BOS women glitched after I finished her missions. She will no longer follow me and will just stand there so I'm now bopping about with Arcade.

While running around I encountered 3 deathclaws which messed me up so much I had to flee into the river to escape. Of course I never retreat, I make tactical withdrawals and so I chased after those deathclaws which went back to their nest where there were 15-20 deathclaws (1 alpha male, 3 mothers).
Only one way to do this. Strip naked, grab Oh Baby! get drugged up and rock house. With my str, end, per maxed, 50% damage increase and a 50% defence increase it was on. I was swarmed by them all but it mattered not as my hammer sent deathclaw after deathclaw flying, that is if the hammer blow didn't outright decimate them.

Best game moment thus far.

Yugioh - Went to the sneak peek and won! Won a 20 pound mat as a prize but besides Delg I pulled some rubbish cards. I got 1 Wightmare and managed to get one for free off someone else but I'm still short 1.

Feldschlacht IV

• Dick Justice
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: November 08, 2010, 01:12:47 AM »
From what I've seen the NCR can't even defeat the fiends because they spread themselves too thin. I've not yet confronted benny but unless the NCR has been holding back this whole time for some reason I simply don't see how they can take the east coast when they have a hard enough time holding their current lands now.

True; but the NCR has no problem holding on to their home turf; hell, a few people in NV say they're currently in the Mojave because the NCR is too, get this; safe and boring. NCR got its own lands on lock. Their main issue is like you said; they spread their efforts too thin in annexing other lands. They don't own NV, they're in the process of annexing it, which can go either way depending on the Courier, of course.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: November 08, 2010, 01:52:55 AM »
The East Coast BOS still has contact with the West Coast (somehow). This much is confirmed in their background story on how Lyons got dicked by his Lost Hills superiors when they changed their attitudes towards the Capital Wasteland.

Thanks for reminding me why Fallout 3 is dumb as shit.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: November 08, 2010, 04:02:21 AM »
Chocobo Mysterious Dungeon: Just Beat Phoenix, so onto Chap 3!

Yeah, finally got back to playing this, what of it?
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: November 08, 2010, 06:19:38 PM »
Radiant Historia- Outside one plot hole, this game actually has a consistent story, believable villain, a sensical and likable main....
Are you sure the Radiata Story team really write this thing?
And Shimomura, you are just getting too good. Going freelancing really is a wise decision on your part.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: November 08, 2010, 06:24:20 PM »
Hey, Jack is likable in the Fairy Path where he gradually grows a brain and becomes an actual decent human being.  And RS' main villain was actually pretty well done too. 

...we don't talk about the human path Jack...or characters like Zane...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: November 08, 2010, 08:19:36 PM »
Chocobo Mysterious Dungeon: Just Beat Phoenix, so onto Chap 3!

Yay for rougelikes.  Also, equipment can be so abusive, but fun.  Trust me, though: you want either equipment with a Rust-proof innate or the Gold Seal on both things.  Next few story dungeons can slap you around with the Rust status effect which is far and away not fun.

Have a favorite job yet?

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: November 08, 2010, 08:33:48 PM »

That is true. If I were to try to debate this statement I'd have to consider some assumptions on how the Capital Wasteland is going to progress in the future. Which I shall since Fallout is fun. Here goes;

1. There is the Pitt; which is an incredibly valuable resource for obvious reasons. Like I said before, I'm unsure what the canonical outcome of The Pitt DLC is, but either way, it wouldn't be impossible for the Lone Wanderer to go as an envoy to Pittsburgh and convince whatever ruling power is there that 'Hey bros, there's a massive force coming in from the West, can we uh...borrow your Steel Mill?  Real quick?'

If anything Ashur seems like a reasonable dude and he might be down with an alliance, even if it's temporary. Hell, he could even call up the military power of Ronto, and the geniuses of the Commonwealth, make it a party.

Alternatively the Capital Wasteland BOS could take a gamble and just try to take it the fuck over.

I'm still not clear on whether they actually made steel there or if they scavenged the steel and just made iron and shit there. I mean, if they could make steel, why do you need to search for ingots?

2. How did the NCR rediscover manufacturing? If they did it, the BOS should be able to do it as well, especially without fundamental challenges such as clean water and constant Super Mutants all up in their ass. Combined with their continual search for knowledge (the Arlington Library, for example), and its sooner rather than later.

Near as I can tell, they've never not been able to. The Gun Runners have been making all their own merchandise since Fallout 1.  Not sure about the Necropolis outcome, but if it's the good ending, a bunch of pre-War Ghouls got in to Engineering as well. I'm sure the BoS theoretically knows how to rebuild a factory, the problem is that the East Coast got drilled so much harder that one intact factory is this amazing miracle, so they're not having to "rebuild" anything, they're just having to build from the ground up.

I guess this depends on what/who is lying out there in the Midwest/Great Plains/East Coast. There's a lot of ground that Fallout hasn't covered yet, and there may be a third party that's a wild card that also has the strength to give NCR a fair fight. But even if not, the NCR has to be able to expand themselves indefinitely across the entire mainland from coast to coast.

Well, we know that the Southwest is all Caesar's land, and their strength is broken. The Great Khans might relocate to Wyoming, but if we're going with the NCR ending, they're NCR allies. Then depending on how much of Fallout Tactics is canon, the Midwest Brotherhood controls either the Chicago area or everything from Chicago to the Rockies. Much of the midwest is, according to Cassidy, just one big dustbowl with mile-wide tornados all over the place anyway and so probably uncontrolled by organized government.

I'll say this; the edge right now is with the NCR. Massively. But depending on how the East Coast plays its cards (and how the winds blow), they'll be a powerful force in its own right, very, very quickly. The days of the Capital Wasteland being a blasted hole in the ground with everyone beating rocks together, getting nothing done is over.

Oh, I'm sure the Capital Wasteland BoS knows the NCR exists. I'm just not sure that they'd get advance warning if the NCR was on the move towards them, as the Lost Hills bunker really doesn't give a shit about them and the Hidden Valley bunker is, in the NCR ending, a possible ally to the Republic.

And... eh, they have a stable society finally, but they need to rebuild their infrastructure from the ground up. Not a good position to be in.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 08:37:21 PM by Rob the Stampede »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: November 08, 2010, 10:04:19 PM »
Much of the midwest is, according to Cassidy, just one big dustbowl with mile-wide tornados all over the place anyway and so probably uncontrolled by organized government.

How is that different from the real world?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: November 08, 2010, 10:21:57 PM »
The tornados are radioactive and shoot lightning at people.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: November 08, 2010, 11:39:05 PM »
Lufia DS:  Finished.  Final party was level 46.  Amon was a joke, Erim was Erim, and Daos died in two Dual Blade combos.  Guess he would be hard to fight the legit way, but Artea seemed like he could beat him if you were careful.

Overall, game is about what I said before.  Gameplay is poor, but the story and characters were good.  Especially enjoyed the way they handled Iris.

It's about a 6/10 game, but I'll bump it up to 7 since they didn't completely shit on the original like they could have.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: November 09, 2010, 02:22:37 AM »
Lufia DS:  Finished.  Final party was level 46.  Amon was a joke, Erim was Erim, and Daos died in two Dual Blade combos.  Guess he would be hard to fight the legit way, but Artea seemed like he could beat him if you were careful.

Actually the best way to fight him without stopping time is Maxim's Cross Dash. Artea is also decent at attacking and avoiding, but even ONE hit by pretty much anything ensures his death, and it ends up being a loooong fight without Time Break.