Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 355854 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #475 on: January 26, 2010, 10:04:22 PM »
They're affordable enough, I found, especially with -equips- themselves not being very expensive. I suppose that level of offense leads to a rough earlygame, but by the midgame, you won't be worrying about that much.

EDIT: Hope you enjoyed Kyon of the borderline 2HKO GT paralysis hax, by the way.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #476 on: January 26, 2010, 11:59:23 PM »
Mass Effect 2, FUUUUUUUCK YEAH

I hate you so much.

Also I heard in this one you get to romance Tali and Garrus c/d????

Confirm. There's four options per gender this time, which is nice. You can't romance Grunt or Legion, though. I can tell you are disappointed.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 27, 2010, 12:32:48 AM »
No More Heroes 2 was sold out (of course, I don't own a Wii, but that never stopped me from buying stuff before), and I still haven't gotten around to playing ME1, so I picked up Infamous. Having played the demo, I know it's decent.

WAXF: Got screwed on the poison swamp mission because I couldn't get over the hill in the middle of the map and all my distance fighters got worn down. So I shifted people to Elementalist and I'm going to pick up a little bit of CP before heading back. Sacrifice on a magic build crunches everything right now.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 27, 2010, 12:37:08 AM »
Cross Edge - "Voice acting is pretty decent" I thought... then Augustine opened his mouth. Yuri lowenthal of all people is who they chose to voice the bloodthirsty madman. Come on they have Dave Wittenberg on board and they don't ask him to do a role he does perfectly, madness.

Also its retarded how according to what I've read killing August locks you out of the best ending. Why? Really why would that happen? Moving on.

Augustine - Wiped out a lackey a turn so it ended on turn four. August was less of a threat then the witchs he was paired with.

Bourd - Having to use two characters I don't normally use means I couldn't overkill him. Still died and dropped a crap ton of xp.

Troy and Anesha - They put up a good fight due to double turning but they got crushed by turn four.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 27, 2010, 01:45:56 AM »

I hate you so much.

Confirm. There's four options per gender this time, which is nice. You can't romance Grunt or Legion, though. I can tell you are disappointed.

I'm still holding out hope for Wrex, but maybe they're saving that for ME3.

Shepard
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: January 27, 2010, 03:30:40 AM »
XF: 2-4 can fuck off and die as always. No really, I get a game over because I get a freak critical hit? Not only that, it manages to have two incredibly obnoxious mission requirements!

I love XF's core battle system, it's the best pure SRPG with jobs since FFT. The stage design belongs in Hoshigami; almost every single fight to this point has strongarmed you into a certain class or skill. This would be more forgivable if it weren't like the first 20-25% of the game. Polish is pretty terrible at points too. Seriously, you deequip everything when I change classes? Thanks guys.  XF does so much well then gives you some obnoxious map and welp back to square one.

I am pretty sure I made this rant a year ago or so when I was playing it for the first time, but damn. I like the game a hell of a lot but *sets fire to 2-4*
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:44:35 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 27, 2010, 03:50:39 AM »

I hate you so much.

I'm still holding out hope for Wrex, but maybe they're saving that for ME3.

Shepard

If you don't have a ME1 save, Wrex is dead, sadly.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 27, 2010, 04:58:55 AM »
FF7: Green Chocobo get!  Its also A Rank now!  Ancient Forest will probably be done next and Carry Armor won't be pleased <_<

FFTA2: Just met Lezarfold.

Okami: Ninetails has fallen.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 27, 2010, 09:11:12 AM »
Seriously, you deequip everything when I change classes? Thanks guys.  XF does so much well then gives you some obnoxious map and welp back to square one.

While kind of annoying, I can certainly see why they did this programming wise. Since otherwise you'll run into redundant skillset/item stuff that could be annoying to try to program around.
...into the nightfall.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 27, 2010, 11:16:17 AM »
SDGGGW -

So, Stage EX V... it makes me a sad person. For a start you only get to take in one group when every other stage in the game allows two. There are three gun platforms with MAP attacks that each have ????? HP (roughly 150k) which is the first time anything in the game has gotten so high (previous high as far as I remember was around 60k, 95% of things are below 30k). You need to destroy all of them for the break, which I managed to do around 2/3 of the way into the stage... then it brings them all back and you have to destroy them all again for the next break. Remembering that they have MAP attacks and you are now situated all amongst them instead of aways off as you started the map. A fine game of soldiers that is.

The Gundam Copies that are the main focus of the level are jacked up on stats but fair. They're also kind of dense and didn't seem to use MAP attacks when available and so on. The final copy, however... 80 thousand HP, stats jacked up even higher, a barrier that reduces several sorts of damage and immunes MAP attacks, a full set of character abilities - all of which are maxed, when no enemy previously in the game has had any ability over level 1 - these abilities include one which negates all of your characters' abilities, one which allows it to make Supercriticals while not in Ultrahigh Tension...

It fires its big gun, which is a beam weapon, at Mark. Mark is currently in Crossbone Gundam X1 Full Cloth, which has a Beam Shield, an I-Field, Antibeam Coating, all of which reduce/immune Beam damage, and a Full Armour System which reduces damage in general. IT GOES THROUGH WITH SEEMINGLY NO REDUCTION.

So! I gave up on that stage for the moment. Vaguely considering getting a Destroy since Photon Reflectors immune all beams whatsoever no questions asked in my experience, but it's also possible that his Nihil also negates unit abilities in addition to character abilities, which would certainly explain poor X1FC.

Currently I only have Turn-A (Empowered), Powered Wadom, and Turn-X left to get (leaving aside the question-markèd units in the 00 section). Looks like I'll replay some earlier stages and get those, and then consider my next goal from there. Assuming you can replay earlier stages, since I haven't tried yet.

Various thoughts on units and such-

Neue Ziel is spectacularly fearsome, which is an impression I've never really gotten from its appearances in SRW. A shame that it is restricted to space, although the majority of levels are space anyway. It's arguably better than the Neue Ziel II despite the hefty HP gap due to having a nice set of missiles which the II doesn't, although missiles drop off sharply in the EX stages anyway due to the increased enemy defence.

Just noticed that I'm also missing a custom GM Quell (presumably it is a Quell, but they could have mixed the order up again). The custom unit system has to be one of the more worthless functions in the game. OH MAN if I put Char '79 in a Gelgoog he will use it as a Char Custom Gelgoog with slightly increased stats! WHY THE HECK AM I WASTING A SLOT ON A GELGOOG? Very occassionally they will get new attacks, like the Live Zaku Warrior which gets a MAP 'attack' that raises unit tension. By a miniature amount. And you need to have Meer piloting it for it to exist. And Meer fails at life. No. Further, I put Amuro '93 in the Zeta Plus and it became the Amuro Custom Zeta Plus out of it, but for some reason this doesn't count as actually 'having' it for the purposes of the profile gallery and you need to use Amuro '87 WHAT

Zeta Gundam is immune to funnel attacks! That came in handy a couple of times. But it's not a particularly good unit.

F91 is, I believe, the first unit on the list that changes once it gets into Ultrahigh Tension. In this case it change to F91 Overheat Mode... however it doesn't seem to get afterimage from this (aside from a small effect while it's moving), it just get access to several different weapons than in Regular Mode. Why exactly can't F91 use its VSBRs unless it's overheating? Madness. Still, F91 gets off easy compared to some others.

Burning Gundam, similarly, goes into Hyper Mode once it hits Ultrahigh Tension. Burning Gundam, similarly, gets access to new weapons in Hyper Mode that it doesn't have in Regular Mode (more believable here however). Burning Gundam, unsimilarly, EATS TENSION WITH THESE WEAPONS. So directly after using them you get punted out of Hyper Mode. SPECTACULARRRRRRRRR

Thoroughly unlike SRW, Master Gundam only managed to hit Hyper Mode one time which was when the game forced it into being Hyper Mode permanently. Every other time I fought it it languished at low tension due to how the system works. Glee.

Virgos, urgh. Planet Defensers appear to be able to completely immune any weapon which isn't melee or remote-controlled. And they'll almost always use them on defence if they're being attacked by a weapon they're effective against. Extremely minor positive side is that you can have a support group with one unit using a weapon that's going to fail and everyone else using working weapons, and they'll throw up the defensers instead of attacking back or defending through a different method.

Turn-A Empowered's MAP Moonlight Butterfly. Completely drains the energy of every unit on the map (except people immune to MAP attacks and so on). It is hilarious. Especially if you have all your units in your warships and consequently not counting as 'on the map'. It needs to be in SRW (to be fair I haven't played any SRWs with Turn-A so it may well be).

Stargazer is in the game, but the only characters from Stargazer in the game are the villains? What is the meaning of this inanery.

I was not completely impressed to find that there is a Phoenix Gundam Powered in the game that doesn't show up in the profile list that I found completely by accident. Now I am vaguely paranoid that there are other things secreted away.

Current Team -
Albion/Zenon (GG) et al [Devil Gundam (Final)/Amuro '79, Crossbone Gundam X1 Full Cloth/Mark (GG) [Gundam Aquarius/Lanalowe (GG), Gundam Nataku/Eris (GG), Gundam Heavyarms Custom/Aina], Verde Buster/Kou [Providence Gundam/Char '79, Burning Gundam/Alfreda (GG), Palace Athene/Shirou]]
Ra Cailum/Bright '87 et al [Psycolo Gundam/Camille, Strike Freedom Gundam/Amuro '93 [V2 Assault Gundam/Usso, Wadom/Luke (GG)], Infinite Justice Gundam/Athrun '73 [Destiny Gundam/Lunamaria, Turn-A Gundam/Judau, Freedom Gundam/Sibbuk]]

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 27, 2010, 12:36:49 PM »
*nods @ super* Seriously. That damn battle had me near tearing my hair out and threatening to give up on the game too. Glad that's over, now I can get back to enjoying the game ^_^ I has plot scenes!

(Levin is too powerful, Clarissa dies, Labby dies, enemy thrusts Clarissa into a hole, enemy thrusts Labby into a hole, Labby makes enemy ded with counter attack, Levin dies, Labby makes enemy ded with counter attack, everyone makes it through the Gate but Ragnar - enemy uses Shut In, enemies gang up and make Ragnar ded - and so on)

My final set up was two Enigmancers (Clarissa, Labby), an Elementalist but with the weakest spell book (Levin), a Gadgeteer (Felius), Ragnar as his default and Tony. Clarissa had Elementalist and Sacred Slayer OCs as extra, Arcanist and Sacred Slayer for Labby, Martial Mage for Levin (<3 Blast), Sentinel for Felius and Ragnar. I weakened the two enemies at the front with Levin, then had everyone shift to the hard left and make their way to the gate from there. Healing, Protect and Turn Shift abuse commenced and then once I had everyone close I had Levin start wearing done the mage. Once she was weakened and the other enemies appeared much healing and Turn Shift abuse commenced until everyone was through the gate, taking out the Shut In abuser as they went. It ended up with Clarissa, Labby and Levin turn shifting each other for speed boosts. Yay! I think I finished off that damn mage at some point too but who knows. Nightmare~

Yoshi - Possibly but only for other randoms  :P Bosses are easy (L1 Peppita with counter hax says so ;)) :P Seriously though Kaddan wasn't too bad for super and I because we made Maria Convert Damage so she could be an MP tank and an Elven Cloak for Adray (later on we gave him Convert Damage to MP too >.>) but I'd usually just skip the randoms there myself. More trouble than they're worth (except the green golem things with Triple EXP going for mad XPs and Regeneration Symbols, levelling doesn't matter too much to me but the MP regen accessories for the girls and Adray are nice =-))

Are you playing P3 on Hard mode? Watch out for the Hama/Mudo hax from enemies too. I only played it on Easy but I'd run out of those feather things for Minato and yeah ...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:56:07 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 27, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »
I'll probably get back to SO3 eventually, CT. Just... not until after P3 and BoF4, at the very least.

Playing P3 on Normal, so ID spam isn't a concern yet. Did pick up a Homunculus a couple of floors back, though, so guessing it probably will be.. once I get Mitsuru in my actual party? But I have a boss to beat before that, and UGH. >.<
Edit: Also, I hate the standard lines for things like Game Over, winning fights, criticals, etc. "A single strike...?!" No, actually, those were three different attacks.
* Yoshiken head-desks.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 01:25:11 PM by Yoshiken »

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 27, 2010, 02:54:14 PM »
Turn A... does not have anything nearly that exotic in SRW.

Alpha Gaiden, the Moonlight Butterfly MAP is just a really powerful attack that sucks up tons of EN. Still nice, and Turn A is a solid unit though you pretty much have to use Loran in it because it's mostly melee, and UC pilots are shitty at melee damage.

Or you could put Sochie in it.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 27, 2010, 03:16:04 PM »
Yeah, 2-4 is almost certainly the hardest map in the game. Though, not sure why you were using regular physicals against an enemy you are forbidden from killing, at least if you weren't prepared for the chance of a crit game overing you and willing to risk it. If you haven't noticed that regular attacks crit and everything else doesn't by 20 battles into the game then you really haven't been paying attention.

Mario games - Are awesome.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 27, 2010, 03:19:45 PM »
It's just typical bad XF design. It's not hard because of the challenge, it's hard because of obnoxious mission requirements that force you to win in a very specific way.

I was using physicals since oh hey, what are the odds it's going to crit and be enough to kill someone? *Splat, reset, rage*

XF's first chapter and a half is like a tutorial on how not to design SRPG's. So much bad design in what is an otherwise outstanding game.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 27, 2010, 06:33:59 PM »
Demon's Souls: Beat. Fun game, but the end was relatively disappointing. Last few bosses were relative cakewalks.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant: IAQ has made me want to play what I consider one of the pinnacles of the genre again, so I am. Playing without Crests for kicks. It has actually caused some problems for me, and I even lost the first legit boss battle due to it simply taking too long to physical him to death. Lame. Beat Andre and recruited Lucia, who I assume will be super useful without any crests. Hurrah.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 27, 2010, 08:11:12 PM »
P3: Spent an entire day off playing this, and have FINALLY just got the 2nd Old Document. I panicked when this wasn't on the same floor as Change Relic, but blitzed the next few (mostly empty) floors and found it at the barrier. Yay.
Change Relic itself went from a OHKO before training to a very high 4HKO after training (thanks to Wind resist Persona), and I had Dodge Wind as well. Then I got screwed over by Poison, so went through some more fusion to get the same thing, but with Posumudi as well. Then Change Relic got (very very slowly) owned. This kinda variety is why I like SMT games, though.

Off to rank up some more S-Links and get a new character. Yaaay.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 27, 2010, 08:29:45 PM »
Mass Effect 2: GARRUS.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 28, 2010, 12:07:28 AM »
Mass Effect 2: GARRUS.

Now with 3 times the ugly.

Smashy v2

• Pirate Beep
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 28, 2010, 12:20:32 AM »
Touhou Oddessy: Killed off the final some time ago, Chenlevel 135.  I must have missed something or had a good idea/bit of luck with Sword of Rapture because the final wasn't all instant doom like I'd heard.

Screw Djinn Storm, though.

Anyways... aftergame stuff!

Bloodstained Seals: Facemelt on a Plane kinda sucked.  Longname McFacemelt died after I'd gotten about 10 levels from killing off V2 bosses, which let me get WSMR off before it went ensuring everyone's survival and then promptly killed it before it got Final Danmaku off.  The other two are still way out of my league though.

V2 bosses:  Beat Chen, Reisen, Rumia, and Yuugi.  The others are just too damaging for me at the moment, although if I twink properly I should kill off Cirno easily enough.

Everything else?  High 2HKO MT or solid 2HKO MT with durability.  Or just plain facemelting.  Or being Nitori. 

That said, up to around 147 Chenlevel and I still need the Scourge for 100% of the first 10 pages so yeah, still lots of work to do before I even touch 21F.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 28, 2010, 12:23:17 AM »
Cross Edge - "Voice acting is pretty decent" I thought... then Augustine opened his mouth. Yuri lowenthal of all people is who they chose to voice the bloodthirsty madman. Come on they have Dave Wittenberg on board and they don't ask him to do a role he does perfectly, madness.

Wait, that was Yuri Lowenthal?  Has to be one of his better roles then.  ...whatever that says.  Probably not much.

Definitely agree they should've given it to Dave Wittenberg instead though.  Maybe they thought the disc would explode from too much awesomeness?  I got nothin'.

Also its retarded how according to what I've read killing August locks you out of the best ending. Why? Really why would that happen? Moving on.

Because the best ending is FAQ-bait and retarded.  Half of it makes no sense, though those tombstones hint at it.  ...not all that well.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 28, 2010, 12:24:08 AM »
I was using physicals since oh hey, what are the odds it's going to crit and be enough to kill someone? *Splat, reset, rage*

I'll grant the criticals, but besides that the "lower enemy HP but don't kill them" was a fine exercise in having to control damage. The game offers you more than enough ways around this so that you can pull it off. Now just imagine it without any damage projections.

DQ5: About where Scar was when he posted! Generally liking the game, as the combat is very very fast-paced (at fastest battle message speed). Also the yeti monster is awesome because the MT stun is like 100% unless resisted. Hell yes.

Bardiche

« Reply #497 on: January 28, 2010, 12:43:48 AM »
Sands of Destruction: I think I am at the final dungeon. I'll hazard a guess I am as I just ran around the continent gathering what I PRESUME to be Ultimate Armour and Ultimate Weapons. Rhi'a may have one more but I have to do tedious research into inconsequential things to be sure.

The last leg of the game is, as expected of jRPGs, a... dredge. Dungeon->Dungeon->Dungeon with little PLOT attached so it just feels like I'm pointlessly hauling arse from dungeon to dungeon in order to defeat the latest boss they came up with for no particular reason at all.

Oh well. Game's still a bit broken against randoms, but post-buffing they are now a threat, and mages are a threat regardless. Blade Block is a god tier skill.

As far as characters go, extremely displeased with how weak Morte is considering she's a pretty cool character. Unfortunately her attack finds no fault, just everyone else overshadowing her something fierce. Seems like she's a good dueller still, though, as she has buffs which some characters SORELY want. (Sands of Destruction buffs are really, really potent)

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 28, 2010, 01:03:48 AM »
Because the best ending is FAQ-bait and retarded.  Half of it makes no sense, though those tombstones hint at it.  ...not all that well.

I thought they were just plot walls but they're clues :o! Its all dawning on me now yeah, that rip off story of Ikarus was so telling me to defeat Lazarus in 5 turns.
I enjoy reading them but the reason for there existance is retarded.

Raizen - Mans a beefcake. Was forced to use Zelos so I was down to three people but even with a full party it would have been difficult to knock off such massive hp in five turns.

Etna 2 - Joke fight when compard to Raizan as I easily overkilled Etna on turn two.

Raizen 2 - Beat him this time even though I was a man down. Just couldn't break so his defences were basically cutting my offence down to a third.

Reicher - Couldn't kill him. I use Raze so I wasn't a man down but he regens to much to be killed in five turns.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:05:59 AM by Rozalia »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #499 on: January 28, 2010, 01:06:08 AM »
So Bard... are you loving the Dragon-chick in SoD?

...she was quite the Tsundere in the anime. I figured you'd feel some kinship there. ^_^~