Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 363009 times)

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #650 on: February 07, 2010, 05:37:51 AM »
Smt Devil Survivor - Just beat the king of demons ending. Greatly enjoyed the game as it was more of the same you find in Smt 1 & 2. Next on the list is devil summoner as I haven't yet played one and if it proves as good as Smt 2 then I'm in for a treat.

Cross edge - Finished. Found myself having fun here and there but it ranks as one of the worst games I've played in a long while.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 05:45:01 AM by Rozalia »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: February 07, 2010, 07:43:15 AM »
Yay devil summoner!  Do you mean the PS2 games or the older ones?
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: February 07, 2010, 07:51:40 AM »
The downloaded Pichi is just a shiny Pichu with the 'Fateful Encounter' flag set.

If you trade it over to HGSS, you can unlock the special 'Spiky-Eared Pichu'. This is an alternate form(e) that can't be traded or evolved. However, it does get Pain Split as an event move! That's totally worth it! [/sarcasm]

Actually the download one also comes with Endeavor, which Pichu doesn't normally learn.  Potentially useful since they're fairly fast and have fail HP.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: February 07, 2010, 08:24:56 AM »
Blueberry Garden - I have decided that this game is Tai.  It is nice and simple looking and I spent my entire time playing it wandering around aimlessly while my world slowly drowned.  It was a nicely dressed up exercise in futility.  You also eat fruit that turns you blue and makes it easier to fly.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: February 07, 2010, 02:32:31 PM »
Dragon Warrior III: First on the to do list is revisiting various castles and see what the Final Key can get her. The most noteworthy find is the Expel Shield. It turns out the fighter can equip it and suddenly he has the highest defense of the party. The situation is getting out of hand. He now has higher attack, defense, hitpoints and agility than Lia does and she does not yet have any noteworthy spells. Fortunately she has a group hitting weapon which he can't use, but it still doesn't seem right. Isn't it supposed to be sidekicks who has one skill that exceeds that of the hero while the hero is better at everything else?

While hoping the situation will somehow resolve itself, Lia visits the town under construction. It looks like Kara got a small shop going and a few people has been suckered into immigrating. The town is not yet really useful.

Next Lia goes to a shrine which warps her to a kingdom surrounded by mountains. This one suffers from quite a serious problem, other than the big one threatening the whole world that is. The king has suddenly started to act suspiciously and is now execution happy. Also, people are taking about the Change Staff that allows you to change appearance. Obviously there's no relation between the two. People are also talking about a mirror that allows you to see how things really are.

The first course of action is to go shopping. Then it's time to take a look at the king. The guards won't let the party in, but there's a convenient side entrance. The guard there asks if Lia is there on business. Of course she is, that's why she's taking the side entrance instead of the front entrance! Thus she makes her way to the king which in turns orders the guards to throw her and her followers into prison. The guards does so, but doesn't confiscate any of her equipment. Lia doesn't know if it's because they are dumb or because they are smart.

She uses the Final Key to get out of her cell. A guard is blocking the straightforward exit. Taking to him just yields a "Zzz, I'm talking in my sleep. The king is behaving really suspicious!" and no getting out of the way. Oh well, there's always the less straightforward exit. While getting out the long way, Lia finds a man locked up deeper down than the others. He identifies himself as the real king. Lia is really starting to suspect that the fake king isn't very good at the whole villain business.

Since the guards are already very suspicious of the impostor king and Lia just opened the cell to the real king, he could easily have walked out and rallied the guards. However, he refuses to move. Lia gets the feeling that she is supposed to get the magic mirror she heard about earlier. While much more complicated than needed, this method will get her much more glory than if the real king reclaimed his kingdom, so she doesn't complain.

The mirror lies in a nearby cave, another sign that the impostor king isn't very good at his job. Anyway, the layout of the cave isn't very complicated, but still manages to frustrate the party a bit by negating the "hug the left/right wall" method. Monsters there also like to drain the party of magic. Still, getting the mirror doesn't prove to be to hard.

The first plan is to reveal the fake king right in front of his guards. Unfortunately, cutscene fiat gets in the way and the party is thrown into jail a second time. Not surprisingly, the party still doesn't have their equipment confiscated, so out they go. This time Lia waits until night and enters the king's bedroom and produces the mirror while he's asleep. The king turns out to be a troll who looks about as intelligent as you'd expect considering his actions. Boss battle time.

This fight seems easier than the Orochi fight. Things does get a bit more problematic though when the troll takes out the healer via a critical hit and Lia still hasn't learned Healmore. Nevertheless, her party wins and this time Lia remains standing.

Other than glory and fame, she also picks up the change staff. Time to have some fun.

First she goes to the elven village. Her first plan is to change to an elf or a hobbit and see what she can do. However, the staff transform the party to slimes. To her surprise the elf shopkeeper is willing to sell to them in that condition. Are humans the only creature elves discriminate against? In any case, the rest of the elves manages to see trough the disguise so no fun can be had here.

Next Lia goes home to see if she can scare her mom a little. It works. It also works on a lot of other villagers. Eventually she gets tired of that game and trades the change staff to a hermit for a pirate bone which allows her to find a ghost ship.

Before tracking down the ghost ship, Lia pays the town under construction another visit. Things have changed. The town is now called Karaburg, has a weapon shop with quite expensive equipment, a theatre, a cell and a mansion for Kara herself. Despite the serious lack of housing, there’s actually quite a number of people there.

After some shopping, the party visit’s the theatre. There’s male dancers, a bar and some loot. Lia gets the loot and then leaves. As she’s about to leave, she’s presented a tab of 50,000 gold. While she’s not the type who regularly visits theatres, Lia still got the impression that you’re supposed to pay for entering, not exiting. She refuses to pay and the tab is waived upon the account of her being a friend of Kara. Alternatively, even 50,000 gold isn’t worth getting impaled by a flail.

Taking to the villagers reveals that they aren’t to happy about how the town is running either. One of them however reveals that Kara recently purchased a Orb, so she’s doing something right at least. Lia therefore pays Kara a visit, but she won’t just fork over the Orb. Maybe returning at night will be more fruitful?

Unfortunately, Kara was sensible enough to hire a guard. The guard however also bars the man, who had the idea of building a town here in the first place, from entering Kara‘s mansion. The man wants to warn Kara about an upcoming rebellion, but is now unable to.

Lia looks around and sure enough, she overhears some townspeople plotting rebellion. They seem to be worried when they realise she overheard them. One of them defiantly states she can’t stop it. While Lia is sure she could stop them from much more including breathing, she has no intention to stop anything. Things has to change for her to get the Orb.

Seth casts passtime and it’s day again. Now things are different. The town greeter reveals that Kara is no longer the mayor. The weapon shop has even better equipment to sale. The theatre has turned into a children singing contest hall. In this case Lia gets the suspicion that the townspeople just wanted to spite on Kara and made the theatre as much the opposite of what it previously was as they could. Thinking of it, was there even any children in this town yesterday?

Kara is chilling out in the cell. She wonders what she did wrong, but also reveals she hid the orb behind the throne in her mansion. Lia goes and gets it and decides this earns Kara a get out of jail free card. Kara however decides to stay and hopes the townspeople will forgive her at some point. She may not be to far off, at least one of the townspeople is already starting to wonder if things weren’t better with Kara running the show. Well, making the theatre into a children singing contest hall is a good sign that whoever’s now making decisions isn’t to competent either.

Five orbs of six gained. Next time Lia tracks down a ghost ship and maybe even the last orb.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: February 07, 2010, 03:42:22 PM »
inFamous- Beat the first island. I'll miss Sasha's sexy voice and her tripped out interludes, but thus is progress. I'm unsure of whether to call her boss battle awesome or meh. Massive style points, but I can't say it involved much other than moving around firing at nothing and hoping it's real... but then again, thats supposed to be the entire point that it's a headtrip... hmm. Still, awesome game thusfar. Except for Follow the Courier sub-missions. Those can die.

Got all the Dead Drops in Neon, as well as all territory. Woo. Kinda let Blast Shards fall by the wayside while finishing things up though. 43/350 there.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: February 07, 2010, 09:48:35 PM »
Blast Shards are kind of meh and yeah Courier sub-missions are the worst.  They seem to stop after the first island.  There is a few swear inducing Satellite Uplinks after that but generally found the side missions less annoying after the first island (mostly just due to less Surveillance ones and no Courier)

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: February 07, 2010, 10:05:36 PM »
After Mirror's Edge, Satellite Uplink missions are LOLEASY.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 07, 2010, 10:13:06 PM »
Yay devil summoner!  Do you mean the PS2 games or the older ones?

PS2. Lack of translation means I can't play the old ones for the time being.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 07, 2010, 11:49:22 PM »
WA:XF -

-1.9, In Which Levin Is Still An Idiot. Puzzle map is easy, the fight after isn't as much so. Levin and Felius crush the peons with Blast and physicals respectively, and Clarissa alternates healing and Sacrifice on the boss.

-Synthesis, In Which I Have To Spend Money To Wait So I Can Spend Money To Get Equipment To Kill Things To Get Money That I Spend.

-1.10, In Which Not!Janus Doesn't Win "Boss Of The Year". I win through a combination of Elementalist spells and ranged physicals wihout much problem.

CSI - Beat. The game wasn't impressive, though it was at least somewhat entertaining.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: February 08, 2010, 12:25:14 AM »
Mass Effect:

Train Wrex in shotguns, or just keep him with Assault Rifles?

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 08, 2010, 12:46:39 AM »
Assault rifles are better even at close range.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #662 on: February 08, 2010, 01:05:07 AM »
In terms of damage output, assault rifles are the clear winner. Shotguns are kind of a niche weapon that you use against groups of enemies or at close range to knock something down.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 08, 2010, 03:42:31 AM »
So it turns out that Master Dragon, ruler of Zenithia and overall Big Cheese of the DQ 4-5 world, spends his spare time moonlighting as Ned Flanders.

That explains a lot about the DQ universe, really.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #664 on: February 08, 2010, 04:06:30 AM »
-Synthesis, In Which I Have To Spend Money To Wait So I Can Spend Money To Get Equipment To Kill Things To Get Money That I Spend.

Accurate description of all RPGs?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 08, 2010, 04:48:29 AM »
FFTA2: I MADE SOME PLOT PROGRESS! Also beat the Red King and got a really nice sword with no skills!  That's going to my Chocobo Knight!

Also, when did Vaan suddenly start taking pages out of the Book of Balthier?  He's not only stealing his lines, but he's also kind of dressing like him.  On the upside, we finally get a Penelo design that doesn't make me want to punch someone (her FF12 Design was just ugly, her FF12RW design was just like the most hideous fashion statement ever)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #666 on: February 08, 2010, 06:03:41 AM »
Also, when did Vaan suddenly start taking pages out of the Book of Balthier? 

Since roughly 10 minutes after meeting him?

On the upside, we finally get a Penelo design that doesn't make me want to punch someone (her FF12 Design was just ugly, her FF12RW design was just like the most hideous fashion statement ever)

Quoted for truth. On that note though, FFTA2 character art is surprisingly nice. Still resembles FFTA/RW art, but it's so much more detailed and clean. And the proportions are just slightly more realistic so it hurts less to look at it.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 08, 2010, 09:29:37 AM »
Blazblue - Fought a really awesome Taokaka (and won)...  But I saved the match, since my opponent's combos were better than my own.  Just 73 more Ranked matches, and I'll have all the trophies in Blazblue.

Disgaea 3 - Trying to work on proper monster recruits to get their defenses high enough to actually survive in the Reverse Pirating of my Trapezohedrons.  It's...  Only going slowly, since I'm also obsessed with going through their Class Worlds with at least one cloned item.

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - Just to give the series a fair chance (and since a friend said he'd pay me if I actually beat this one or FE7), I gave this a try.  Got to chapter 4.  Is it always going to feel this slow and painful to play?

Bowser's Inside Story - Put this down for a long while.  Still at the trash heap behind Mushroom Kingdom's Castle.  That's not a fun boss, even if it is easy while I have the Challenge Medal on.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 08, 2010, 09:39:57 AM »
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - Just to give the series a fair chance (and since a friend said he'd pay me if I actually beat this one or FE7), I gave this a try.  Got to chapter 4.  Is it always going to feel this slow and painful to play?

I am fairly sure there is an option to turn off the animations if it's that bad. Makes things very dull, but definitely quicker.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 08, 2010, 10:06:32 AM »

I am fairly sure there is an option to turn off the animations if it's that bad. Makes things very dull, but definitely quicker.

I'm more along the lines of conversation that is slow and pointless and boring and unskippable.  Animations are cool, even though enemy turns also take forever, since they move one at a time instead of all at once.  Yes, I'm very spoiled by Disgaea here.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 08, 2010, 11:40:04 AM »
...wait, what? Fire Emblem conversation is no worse than any other RPG, and you're comparing it to Disgaea which... well, I found the conversations in Disgaea to be hideously slow and dull.

Each to their own, I guess. >.>

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 08, 2010, 12:02:52 PM »
So it turns out that Master Dragon, ruler of Zenithia and overall Big Cheese of the DQ 4-5 world, spends his spare time moonlighting as Ned Flanders.

That explains a lot about the DQ universe, really.

Madchen: So then Dr Agon is also a god, right? Does that mean he is married to the goddess? I feel sorry for the goddess.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 08, 2010, 12:17:44 PM »
Deus Ex: IW - This still sucks but I will finish it anyway.

Hey if you have to play one of the FE games you may as well make it 8 since it is the easiest of the lot and practically breaks itself for you, easy money.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 08, 2010, 12:25:27 PM »
...wait, what? Fire Emblem conversation is no worse than any other RPG, and you're comparing it to Disgaea which... well, I found the conversations in Disgaea to be hideously slow and dull.

Each to their own, I guess. >.>

Yes, but at least conversation in Disgaea is skippable, compared to...  How many shades of generic and required watching?  Sure, the beginning/end of a chapter may be required watching in Disgaea...  I'm not sure, I never bothered skipping it; but the fact remains that even though the number of stages between Disgaea and FE could be comparable...  The pacing is far from being even remotely close; Disgaea has maybe...  6 stages on average per chapter, for maybe an average of 11 chapters.  FE does this at the beginning and end of each chapter...  Where chapter = stage...  At least 30 times? Nevermind, I just found the skip cutscene function.

Besides, I wasn't comparing the script to Disgaea.  I was comparing gameplay - enemies in Disgaea all move at once before attacking, while enemies in Fire Emblem...  ENEMY TURN -> Move -> Attack -> Move -> Attack -> Move -> Attack repeat ad nauseum.  In Disgaea, it's ENEMY TURN -> All Move -> Attack -> Attack -> Attack...  Not to mention that in Disgaea, you don't have distractions of "SHUT THE HELL UP AND LET ME PLAY!" caliber in the middle of a map...  And don't even get me started on the method of gaining items.

Please don't tell me there's an option to make the game more dull.  It really doesn't need that.

This isn't even to mention that the series' reputation of style feels like it's punishing my style of OCD/preference of gameplay.

But like I said, I only recently hit chapter 4.  The game could pick up, I don't know.  I just know that this early on, it feels boring.  I think the biggest challenge of playing this is going to be not falling asleep or raging out from frustration while playing.

EDIT:  And the game did manage to pick up in chapter 5!...  After I finally caved in, and used Seth to recruit Joshua after 6 frustrating resets of character deaths.

...Maybe I have been judging this game too harshly...  A little.

But the fact still remains that it punishes my preference of gameplay and I don't like it for that.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 02:24:01 PM by Magic Fanatic »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 08, 2010, 01:23:45 PM »
SRWK - Okay, so I have to redo the Claw stage in order to actually get Fasalina and Michael. The upgrade given to Dann of Thursday is so utterly overkill that I can't help but wonder just how much of a GxS fangirl Terada is. Also, Blade Gainer inherits Godannar's upgrades? Fuckin' ace.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....