Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 362264 times)

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #700 on: February 09, 2010, 11:37:45 PM »
Knights of the Old Republic: Started this and I already want to set fire to Carth.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 10, 2010, 12:38:46 AM »
non-sword weapons failing

Don't forget about anima magic! And bows deserve note for being probably the least bad they have ever been in the series, since they're quite accurate, and hit 3x weakness on an enemy type the game goes fanboy mode over in the second half, wyvern riders.

FESD - Wow, around Chapter 13, the game finally discovered map design. This is pretty refreshing seeing as it is something that the series 90% of SRPGs could really stand to pay more attention to. Also, I take back what I said about the game's polish (well, some of it) because I realised it has mid-animation animation skip (and unlike SRW OG1-2, it still shows the effect on HP), and enemy phase display skip. Cool. Still has its other flaws (hahaha what plot, stupid character clutter, clunky menu system, some questionable balance decisions) but now it seems like they actually have tried to remake a shitty game and make it notably better while not pissing off the original fans too much. So uh good for them? Respect for game up, might be a 6 or something.

MVP so far is probably Caeda, also using Marth, Abel, Barst, Athena, Merric, Linde, Beck, Wendell, Minerva, Julian, and now Catria. Prepromos will probably both be dropped eventually (the base stats are just bad, for the level) but both are rather handy now.

Super Luigi Galaxy - Oh yeah, since I don't think I mentioned, finished this, cleared the Grand Finale galaxy. I am teh SMG master or something. Fun romp, not much to add about it at this point.

I also beat NSMB again since I'm not sure I mentioned -that- either.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Bobbin Cranbud

• Denizen
    • View Profile
    • The Writing of Joshua Cole
« Reply #702 on: February 10, 2010, 06:51:28 AM »
Finished InFamous and Radiata Stories, started Wild ARMs 5.

InFamous was a lot of fun.  I enjoyed, not necessarily the selection of powers, but the availability of all of them at once without weapon switching.  Story was cool in a wonderfully comic book-y way; the ending (I played Hero) fits supers so well, it's hard to believe no major Big 2 character has it as their origin - but offhand, I don't know of one who does.

Radiata Stories was... less fun.  Not aggressively bad, but the pacing was incredibly uneven (60% or more of the game, including a majority of the optional content, comes BEFORE the split path?  Man, what?) and the romance that was central to at least the direction I went was ridiculously undersold.  Probably a 5 game, ambitious and did a lot of interesting things, but did them awfully poorly in many respects.

Wild ARMs 5, on the other hand, is freaking AMAZING.  I can't believe how good it is.  Best game on the PS2?  Unless it falls apart at the end, I'm pretty sure it's going to be.

Best script of the PS2 era?  Again, barring a late-game collapse, it's a lock; if Uncharted 2 didn't exist I'd seriously consider it a possible best script in gaming, full stop.  FF12 and DQ8 have better DIALOGUE because their voice acting is superb rather than awful, but mute those voices and look just at the lines and every bit of WA5 is pitch-perfect.  It sells me on scenes I've never been sold on in another game (or anime).  Dean especially SHOULDN'T work (he's basically a generic Shonen protagonist), but his lines are done just so and I can actually buy him as a brave, determined young man rather than a moron.

I had four complaints early in the game: under-complicated puzzles due to replacing the tool system with the ammo system (but the ammo types have multiplied enough to be sufficiently interesting), too many random encounters (but the pacing of the ability to negate them is just perfect and negates this), too easy (but avoiding random by running pretty much brings bosses to "just right" difficulty at the point I'm at) and shitty voice acting.  Only the shitty voice acting (mostly Dean; he's a tough sixteen year old, dammit, not a fucking little kid!  Did you even READ the script?!  Or speak to a sixteen year old in decades?!) remains to drag it down, which is a shame, but the game is PRETTY good about allowing me to shut those off.

Character customization, challenge, exploration, puzzles and dungeon design all seem very good, too.
Read my webnovel, Eye Opener, now available on RoyalRoad.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #703 on: February 10, 2010, 07:19:16 AM »
Wild ARMs 5, on the other hand, is freaking AMAZING.  I can't believe how good it is.  Best game on the PS2?  Unless it falls apart at the end, I'm pretty sure it's going to be.

Best script of the PS2 era?  Again, barring a late-game collapse, it's a lock;

Ohhhhhh.... boy. You are in for some serious scrotum-twisting.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 10, 2010, 08:11:10 AM »
Just wondering, did you play WA4?  The DL is one of the few places I have seen that actually picked up a relatively strong positive reaction to the game, wondering where that would fit in.

And on FE8 and anti-grind.  FE8 level cap is so ridiculously easy to hit that it qualifies really.  You don't even have to try.  Compare it to Disgaea and the differences are astronomical.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Bardiche

« Reply #705 on: February 10, 2010, 08:56:21 AM »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #706 on: February 10, 2010, 09:16:40 AM »
Wild ARMs 5, on the other hand, is freaking AMAZING.  I can't believe how good it is.  Best game on the PS2?  Unless it falls apart at the end, I'm pretty sure it's going to be.

It's nice to see enthusiasm for a game. It really is kinda rare to see this type of effusive display at the DL. I also enjoyed WA5's general tone and its ability to sell some particularly embarassing anime-trope-style scenes better than other games (ToS, Lunar come to mind for comparison).

Though, 'best game on the PS2' is the kind of overstatement you find in GameFAQs reviews... >.>;;

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 10, 2010, 10:05:16 AM »
Just wondering, did you play WA4?  The DL is one of the few places I have seen that actually picked up a relatively strong positive reaction to the game, wondering where that would fit in.

I'm still baffled by some of the criticism WA4 gets. I mean, I know people expect game filler like that, but what would it have mattered if Hugo got his powers by falling in to a vat of liquid time? He just uses them to try and kill you, and when someone tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back. I mean, yeah, it would be nice if there were optional quests where you could investigate them or something, but I'd rather it not be in the game at all rather than have it be mandatory.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 10, 2010, 10:13:31 AM »
WA4 really didn't need its central theme, the main plot is fine(ish), but the CHILDREN ARE JESUS was not needed, but yeah I agree on the pacing and way the game handles most of the villains, death and whatnot.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 10, 2010, 10:45:44 AM »
Mentioning Crescent Hawks' Inception made me want to play Crescent Hawks' Inception. GO GO DOS BOX!

Now, it's time for my trusty exploit. Step one: get a few hundred C-Bills. Step two: Use all C-Bills to buy stock in Defiance Industries. Step three: Go to bed. When I wake up I will be disgustingly rich because Defiance Industries' stock price only does two things: go up, or stay the same.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 10, 2010, 12:12:40 PM »
Which RS path did you take? Human or Fairy side?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 10, 2010, 02:02:08 PM »
WA:XF

-1.11, In Which There Are Puzzles Solved By Smashing Things.

-Intermission, In Which Some Crazy Guy Is Making Soup For Dead People, And I'm Completely Sure There's No Way He'll Become a PC Whatsoever, Nope.

-1.12, In Which Brute Force Trumps Stupid Puzzles. Yeah, Didn't bother with the Laypoint puzzle. Instead, I had five people playing vanguard/healer to Levin as he crushed every one of those stupid enemies with Blast.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 10, 2010, 03:39:38 PM »
Mentioning Crescent Hawks' Inception made me want to play Crescent Hawks' Inception. GO GO DOS BOX!

Now, it's time for my trusty exploit. Step one: get a few hundred C-Bills. Step two: Use all C-Bills to buy stock in Defiance Industries. Step three: Go to bed. When I wake up I will be disgustingly rich because Defiance Industries' stock price only does two things: go up, or stay the same.

Except when Hesperus II gets invaded.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 10, 2010, 05:46:46 PM »
Does that happen in CHI? I've never seen it, mostly because it's set in that long gap between the Twelfth and Thirteenth Battle of Hesperus II.

Bobbin Cranbud

• Denizen
    • View Profile
    • The Writing of Joshua Cole
« Reply #714 on: February 10, 2010, 06:00:42 PM »

Disliking WA4 (compared to the rest of the series) is why I hadn't played WA5 until 2010. :P  The theme, characters and story massively unsold me, the puzzles were series-worst to the point of seeming almost nonexistent, and WA is one of the VERY few series where losing a traditional world map was a HUGE blow rather than an actual improvement.

It's the low point in the series to me by far, but in fairness Wild ARMs is, taken as a series, pretty much the most consistently excellent in the genre.  (WA2, WA3 and WAXF are all 9/10 games on my rankings, and WA5 so far seems better than any of them.)  WA4 I would call exceedingly average, although, like Radiata, it *tried* a lot of things, I didn't feel it succeeded at many.

Though, 'best game on the PS2' is the kind of overstatement you find in GameFAQs reviews... >.>;;

:shrug: Somethin* has to be system-best.  For me, that means WA5 barring a late collapse, Final Fantasy 12, Dragon Quest 8, or the original Devil May Cry.  If Resident Evil 4 Wii didn't exist, the PS2 version might make the short list, but there's no way I'd consider giving system-best to a game that has a strictly better version available.  I can't think of another game I'd even think to include.  DMC3, maybe?  But it was hard to the point of being frustrating/hurting my wrist/preventing me from finishing it, at least to date.  Final Fantasy 10?  I guess it would round out the list.

"Best on the PS2" is sort of damning with, if not faint, at least moderate praise, though.  Even if WA5 just keeps going from high to high from this point on, I doubt it would manage to get into my Top 5 on the PS1, and as of this point it would be struggling to Top 5 on the PS3.  Yeah, probably wouldn't crack the Top 5 PS3, either, unless it knocked Valkyria out?

Which RS path did you take? Human or Fairy side?

Fairy.
Read my webnovel, Eye Opener, now available on RoyalRoad.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 10, 2010, 06:14:14 PM »
Fairy

You should give the Human path a go then, its far more entertaining except for the ending scenes which are retarded.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 10, 2010, 08:25:33 PM »
Fairy

You should give the Human path a go then, its far more entertaining except for the ending scenes which are retarded.

I went with it simply because the city of Radiata > everywhere else, but mostly because there are NO GODDAMN ELVES.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 10, 2010, 08:30:35 PM »
Amen to that.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 10, 2010, 08:35:47 PM »
Fairy Path is>>>>>>>>>Human both for story and Jack's character work. I found him pretty insufferable on the human path.

Gameplay I hated either way.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Bardiche

« Reply #719 on: February 10, 2010, 08:54:22 PM »
I found Jack's voice during battles insufferable. I wanted to strangle whoever decided "turn off voices" wasn't an option, and that Jack needed to yell EVERY. DAMN. HIT.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: February 10, 2010, 09:22:03 PM »
Fairy Path is>>>>>>>>>Human both for story and Jack's character work. I found him pretty insufferable on the human path.

Pretty much agree with that.  I honestly don't see any advantages, plot and writing wise, to the human arc.

I also don't see how its more "entertaining", unless you find Jack's cronic idiocy in the Human Path actually funny (personally, I just wanted to punch him every time he spoke.  Fairy Arc, they made him a serious character...and wouldn't you know it, he actually wasn't half bad as one either.)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 10, 2010, 09:38:31 PM »

Ohhhhhh.... boy. You are in for some serious scrotum-twisting.

Agreed, and I loved WA5. I agree with BCB about the beginning, but you'll run into the problems beforelong. The problem with the game is that it seems they took what was probably and amazing script/story from the novelist and rewrote it with RPG and Wild Arms tropes, so you have some amazing base concepts and a fantastic start to the game, but after a certain point things just are not fleshed out with the exceptions of a few flashes of brilliance. It's just a case of horrible execution. I heard the novelist was very unhappy with what they did with her draft, so I'm really curious of what that was like.

Does that happen in CHI? I've never seen it, mostly because it's set in that long gap between the Twelfth and Thirteenth Battle of Hesperus II.

No idea. Never played CHI. Just making an off comment, since a Hesperus invasion can mean anything from getting nuked (First Succession War, Wobby jihad) to mediocre slapfights (The 3057-8 GDL affair).

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 10, 2010, 09:56:21 PM »

Pretty much agree with that.  I honestly don't see any advantages, plot and writing wise, to the human arc.

I also don't see how its more "entertaining", unless you find Jack's cronic idiocy in the Human Path actually funny (personally, I just wanted to punch him every time he spoke.  Fairy Arc, they made him a serious character...and wouldn't you know it, he actually wasn't half bad as one either.)

The recruitable characters from human path are... like a billion times better, mostly. You have all the various guild members, city residents, farmers, and Jack's sister as a joke character, or three different characters for Fairy path (Elf, Orc, Goblin) palette swapped twenty times.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 10, 2010, 10:02:09 PM »
Oh, I'd believe the PC's are better, the guild leaders alone are crack. I don't care for RS's gameplay at all though, so the story and characters are what it has going for it.
-------------------

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 10, 2010, 10:05:50 PM »
Pretty much agree with that.  I honestly don't see any advantages, plot and writing wise, to the human arc.

The bolded words are the important part.  I specified those specifically cause I'm fully aware that the Human Arc has better PCs, and wanted to avoid someone responding in the way you did.  Clearly, saying outright what I was comparing wasn't enough -_-
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A