Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 362240 times)

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #725 on: February 10, 2010, 10:28:54 PM »
Hey, it has a plot and writing advantage if you're racist!  And only like humans! 

*Waves his "Burn all Elves!" sign*
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 10, 2010, 10:39:42 PM »
<Elfboy> :(

SRWK - hrhrhr space stage I NEED TEN BILLION THRUSTER MODULES AGH
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 10, 2010, 10:50:15 PM »
Human path Jack is given a different impetus for going forward than Fairy path Jack. What comes off as Jack being a dick is more his desire to prove himself (which you could identify pretty early on easily enough).

Wild Arms XF: Replaying for great justice. I forgot how nutty a properly set up Sacrifice was.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 10, 2010, 11:00:55 PM »
Its not Jack being a dick in the human path, he's just a complete moron.  He shows little to no thought in his actions, mostly just follows orders like the dog he is, and is still an immature little freak whose basically just good at fighting enough that no one around him cares but Cross, who mans up to bitch slap him for being a moron in one scene (while still being the major douche that he is.)

Contrast this to Fairy Jack who actually uses his brain from the get go, and shows signs of maturity.  Heck, the early Fairy stuff alone was more brain power than the entire human arc.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #729 on: February 10, 2010, 11:37:17 PM »
I never really saw Jack as anything more than eager to please and/or prove that he is awesome. Demonstrating intelligence and insight would be kind of unusual considering. The King says "Yo, I need you to fuck up this dragon" and he will respond "AWESOME I have always wanted to fuck up a dragon, Your Highness," not mine the dialogue tree for reasons that the dragon needs to be fucked up and what its personal history with the region is.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 10, 2010, 11:38:08 PM »
DQ5 DS - reached Nadiria. I'll leave the big picture comments on the game for when I beat it, but some comments on smaller details now:

-The huge nerf to Buff/Kabuff (down from +100%/+50% defense to +40%/+20%) really killed their utility. Against bosses who dispel they are way to slow to be effectiveness, and bosses without dispel don't use physical attacks much or are just plain easy without them anyways.

-The Happy Hat/Hat of Happiness really got beat with the nerf stick. In the original version it was 1 MP per step taken, which I found from experience meant I can freely cast Oomph, Kasap, even Kaboom as much as I wanted to with no risk of running out of MP at all. Here it's 1 MP per 8 steps or worse - ouch. This, along with the Oomph nerfing (probably justified) make Madchen a lot less effective than she used to be since she can't throw out endless Oomphs in every random for 2.5x-3x damage buffing. Oomph+Kasap is still really good for bosses, but I spent most of her turns using itemcasts this time around to conserve MP. These nerfs also counteracted the extra fighter and healer that Slime Knight provided, so the game remainedly merely easy instead of becoming a complete slaughter.

-The cave where the Pallium Regale/Royal Cloak is found is a *lot* easier this time around, as they removed Kamikaze from whichever random had it in the original (I forget). The Fire-Eaters and Ice-breakers still do some pretty hefty physical damage, but without the constant threat of massive MT damage the whole thing was pretty comfortably managable, unlike in the original where I got my ass kicked repeatedly, to the point of losing one Prayer Ring regaining healing MP and being lucky not to lose another one.

-The targetting for physical attacks against an enemy group is very noticably not random in this game. Attacks pretty much always focus on a single enemy within a group at a time, which is really nice. Wonder which DQ game they implemented this in.

Also, would anyone object to giving the main a higher exp value than everyone else in the DS stat topic? He should have a huge exp advantage over every other human PC due to their massive availability issues. Having the kids and wives at a higher level than him like in the SFC stat topic just feels wrong to me, that shouldn't be happening in-game unless you specifically grind their levels while he's dead to catch them up. Not that 1-2 levels is a big deal, but it's the principle of the matter.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 11, 2010, 12:16:21 AM »
Yeah, Hinode. The main has a fairly large exp edge. That said, it isn't MASSIVELY better than the kids/Pedro. The wife however is just fucking out of luck.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 11, 2010, 12:48:15 AM »
Knights of the Old Republic: One HK-47 get.

:)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 11, 2010, 03:12:22 AM »
FFTA2: Quests.  There are too many of them.  I'm thinking I might just say "fuck it" to the rest from here on out, and just do required ones, unless some quests give me new jobs, I might do those <_<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 11, 2010, 09:59:26 AM »
So, I've heard a lot of grousing about how games used to be "longer" back in the day. And I think I have figured out a very big reason for that, going back to modern-gen games after replaying PSX-era shit: Dialogue scenes in PSX games tend to go "Emote, finish animation, speak, other character moves, animates, repeat." It takes fucking forever.

Just something I've noticed.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: February 11, 2010, 11:03:09 AM »
Hey, it has a plot and writing advantage if you're racist!  And only like humans! 

*Waves his "Burn all Elves!" sign*

This. Not that the non-humans give me any reason not to hate them anyway.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 11, 2010, 02:12:37 PM »
So, I've heard a lot of grousing about how games used to be "longer" back in the day. And I think I have figured out a very big reason for that, going back to modern-gen games after replaying PSX-era shit: Dialogue scenes in PSX games tend to go "Emote, finish animation, speak, other character moves, animates, repeat." It takes fucking forever.

Just something I've noticed.

As a general rule, I advocate face-punching for anyone complaining, in any context, that things just aren't as nice as they were in the good old days. Nostalgia wankery is so irritating.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 11, 2010, 02:18:14 PM »
Agreed. Anyone who complains that new games are shorter needs to play FF12. Sure, it's not an amazing game, but it can never, EVER be considered a short game.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 11, 2010, 07:08:04 PM »
Cross Edge Hard mode - Been at this a devil summoner hasn't yet arrived :( Got through up to brosst 3 and then the event "Nikran Fire Spot" glitched on me....  >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'(
Yeah I'm never playing this again unless theres somehow and I doubt, a way to unglitch the game. I'm not one to sell games but selling CE seems very appealing right now. No game I've had has ever reached this line and I've played Dragoneer's Aria.

Unless theres a DLC weapon that completely overkills everything up to the final boss. Then I might replay as it would take no effort at all to get to where I was.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:28:15 PM by Rozalia »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 11, 2010, 08:27:50 PM »
Okay what the fuck. I just realized BioShock 2 ALREADY CAME OUT. There were two games all last year that I even considered buying (NSMBW and SO4, and SO4 was a huge disappointment) and they have put out four games I want in three goddamn WEEKS this year.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 11, 2010, 08:35:53 PM »
Blame it on Call of Duty as a lot of games were pushed back due to it. I myself have the same problem with about three/four games all released in march that I want.

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 11, 2010, 11:54:40 PM »
Dragon Warrior III: Now with a flying mount, the first stop is the dragon queen's castle. The castle has a lot of talking horses, hobbits and elves. Apparently, they aren't very happy at the moment. The dragon queen is dying and laying an egg, something she apparently didn't do before, will kill her. Lia makes her way to the dragon queen for a talk which gives Lia the Light Orb, lays an egg and then dies.

Next destination is the castle of the demonlord. Since Lia is very close to learning Healmore, she makes sure she learns it before challenging the demonlord. The demonlord is found in a red glowing room and it's name is apparently Baramos. There was probably someone who mentioned his name somewhere and somehow Lia forgot, but now she knows it.

Reality 1 and 2: Baramos has attacks that hits everyone in the party about as hard as Healmore heals. He also gets two actions. It simple isn't possible to keep up the healing with only Healmore. Unlike with Orochi, keeping the fighter alive and hope he strikes the killing blow in time doesn't work. Baramos has in addition to his multi target attacks also strong single target moves which will concentrate on a single survivor. So, keeping the whole party alive means it takes more damage per round than it can possible heal and letting people die means the survivors will eat concentrated fire. This doesn't work out at all for anyone except Baramos who reigns supreme.

Reality 3: Lia figures out that she should go one step further than Healmore and also learns Healall (seriously, when the hero learns Healmore, she/he is 4 levels away from Healall and the cleric probably only has one level to go) while at the same time making her party overall stronger. This time the party fares better, that is until Mye becomes confused. Mye who previously kept the party alive proceeded hit the same party with Infermore. Again Baramos wins and reigns supreme.

Reality 4: This time it's Harl who gets confused. While he has Twinhits on, Twinhits seems to double damage, not attack. At this rate Seth has stacked five or so Increase spells on the party and even Harl can't punch trough all that defense. Since he's no longer useful, Lia lets him die and the remainders proceeds to beat Baramos. Harl loses the exp lead he had due to surviving both Orochi fights. Actually, he had even more exp lead than that. Mye and Seth were weak enough to occasionally snuff it against randoms and Lia once got hit by a Beat spell right before the party finished a battle which included a Metalbabble and therefore missed a huge exp reward. Now the exp lead has come to an end however.

Harl is revived and the party returns to the king of their home-country. A celebration, which includes six soldiers blasting away with trumpets, is held in Lia's honor. Something goes wrong though. A new demonlord shows up and introduces itself as Zoma. It proceeds to zap the soldiers with lightning. Lia has to admire their dedication, they keep blowing into the trumpets as their comrades are killed and even as the fifth soldier is killed, the sixth one is still going at it. After the soldiers are killed, Zoma holds a speech which boils down to "I'm evil because I'm evil" and then disappears. The king is distraught, but decides that Zoma must be kept a secret, just like Baramos was a secret. Lia wonders what the king is going to tell the friends and family of the dead soldiers, but "I'm deeply saddened to bring you these unfortunate news, but while on duty your father/husband/friend got ambushed and devoured by a flock of wild hens" would be her suggestion though.

Well, somehow it works. While everyone and their mother knew there was a demonlord Lia has to defeat, nobody seems to know that anything is wrong now. However, it's time to rest before going after then new threat. Lia goes to her mother to sleep. There she makes a new discovery, her mother doesn't let her stay anymore. Oh well, there's always the inn.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #742 on: February 12, 2010, 01:19:12 AM »
When Crystalgate finishes DQ3, I want him to gather and preserve all his logs in a single topic. This is probably the most enjoyable way to experience DQ3. Vicariously, with all the grinding cut out, and as much snark as possible while taking the story surprisingly seriously.

Hey, I play games:

Eternal POIZN: Rondemion's chapter was great. More JRPGs need this style of main character.  Not sure if I'll ever play the last chapter as it requires collecting all the Majin. And... well, I certainly haven't been trying to do that, nor do I care enough to do so. Might just have to Youtube the ending.

FF12 Revenant Wings: Slowly going through this at my usual handheld speed. Fun to pick-up and play, but I'm already forgetting the details of why Vaan and company are doing anything. Luckily, the logbook is still amusing and the PCs continue to banter with eachother while explaining the plot.
Oh, I've finished translating all the PC skills from the Ultimania, so I can start calculating endgame damage stuff.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 12, 2010, 01:23:05 AM »
Battlefield 1943: Been playing a bunch of this today. It's like FPS Lite, with only three sets of weapons and four maps. But you get to fly in planes, and blow stuff up with tanks, so it's all good.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 12, 2010, 01:29:27 AM »
When Crystalgate finishes DQ3, I want him to gather and preserve all his logs in a single topic. This is probably the most enjoyable way to experience DQ3. Vicariously, with all the grinding cut out, and as much snark as possible while taking the story surprisingly seriously.

This. That last writeup had me in hysterics.

FFT: Thanks to Super, ePSXe is actually running decently well now! Just 'beat' Wiegraf 1 - was actually decently challenging, was wondering why Wiegraf's Crush Punch wasn't better respected here until he, uhh, fled. Off to recruit monsters (okay, learn to talk to them) and learn some new stuff before moving on~

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 12, 2010, 01:45:01 AM »
Yes Crystalgate's DQ3 summary is made of win.

Eternal POIZN: Rondemion's chapter was great. More JRPGs need this style of main character.  Not sure if I'll ever play the last chapter as it requires collecting all the Majin. And... well, I certainly haven't been trying to do that, nor do I care enough to do so. Might just have to Youtube the ending.

You don't need to do this. I'm pretty sure you just have to see/kill them all. Although Youtube always works, it is kind of a shame to miss some parts of the final chapter.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 12, 2010, 01:51:56 AM »

FFT: Thanks to Super, ePSXe is actually running decently well now! Just 'beat' Wiegraf 1 - was actually decently challenging, was wondering why Wiegraf's Crush Punch wasn't better respected here until he, uhh, fled. Off to recruit monsters (okay, learn to talk to them) and learn some new stuff before moving on~

Wiegraf 1's Crush punch is only 25% ID. All Holy Sword is fixed odds.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 12, 2010, 01:52:41 AM »
KotOR - Oh noes the jedi bitch got herself caught oh hey a cool old guy

Also: loldarthmalak

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 12, 2010, 01:56:57 AM »

Wiegraf 1's Crush punch is only 25% ID. All Holy Sword is fixed odds.

...what. Are you freaking serious? That thing missed, like, once in about 4 fights, so about 15-20 shots. What the fuck.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 12, 2010, 02:17:31 AM »
Yes, it's only 25%. Seems like you suffered from a serious case of the RNG hating on your guts.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....