Register

Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 362219 times)

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #775 on: February 13, 2010, 02:11:55 AM »
Dragon Warrior III: Before going after Zoma, Lia pays a visit to Karaburg to see if there's anything new that happened. Sure enough, the prison no longer exists and Kara is in charge again. It's night however and her manor is closed. Seth casts Passtime and it's day. But just as the party make it to the mansion, Kara hands over the command to someone else. Hopefully it's someone competent. She then greets Lia and announces that she will return home. Now she can be added to the party again. Hurray!

The theater now serve as a children's singing contest during the day and has male dancers at night. That's probably a representative of how this town wants to achieve a balanced rule, take half from one incompetent ruler and the other half from a second incompetent ruler and hope it translates to a competent rule. Give it a year or two and the town will probably be in the same state as the party originally found it in.

With that lose end tied up, it's time to pursue Zoma. The only place left to search is a cave in a swamp. The cave leads to a pit which eventually drops the party into a building. Talking to people there reveals they are in another world. More towns and more dungeons awaits!

Lia soon locates the first town. First step is to gather information. Apparently it's always night in this world. This is reflected by the priests and innkeepers always wondering what she is doing up so late. Everyone lives in fear of Zoma and Baramos was only one of his disciples. So, Zoma is threatening the worlds, ruined a celebration held in Lia's honor and now her victory over Baramos has been marginalized. Lia now has all the reasons to go after him.

Also, Ortega has been seen here. Finally, Lia knows that her father wasn't boiled in a volcano, he was trapped in another world! Then a chill goes down her spine as she realizes that the return spell or a Warpwing bought from a local store was all that he'd need to get back to his wife and daughter. When she finds him he better have a really good explanation!

Last, but definitely not least, Zoma hit the castle and swiped it's treasure before she got here. From the description of what was lost, it's equipment for her that's superior to what she currently posses. One of the residents gives her a map that works in this world, so it's always something.

The world turns out to be as big as Lia's homeworld, but has about 1/3 the content. As a result, it's rather empty which combined with the constant night brings an atmosphere of dullness. Anyway, somewhat close to the town is a cave, one where just like in the pyramid basement, magic doesn't work. Inside the cave is enemies who can breath fire, something you apparently can do just fine without magic. Lia finds herself the sole survivor after a nasty battle and makes a hasty retreat. 99 bought herbs later, the party makes a second attempt. This time they have better luck. They make their way to the bottom and finds a couple of chests, one containing the Hero shield. That seems to be one of the stolen treasure and Lia gladly attaches it to her arm.

Her defense is now considerable higher than that of her companions. This coupled with her somewhat recently gained ability to cast Healall means she's finally becoming the hero she has waited way to long to become.

Most of the world seems to be accessible right away, so Lia decides to do some scouting and add as many towns as she can to her Return list. One town is a desert town. It's local problem is drought, no doubt caused by the endless night. Another town is known for it's walls and the townspeople there a busy moping about how the walls are useless against a domonlord. The last town she finds has even more useless inhabitants, the majority have just laid down to sleep out of angst. Lia reminds herself that saving this world will be a necessary side effect of saving her own world.

During her travels she hears more news about her father. Naturally, he decided to go after Zoma. Some believes he will succeed. Other knows that he lacks any form of preparation that makes success possible. Most are of course just moping around.

Speaking about preparation, Lia picks up an oral list of needed items, the Sun Stone, the Rain Staff and the Crest. Even better, she actually picks up one of the items in a shrine between angsty town #2 and angsty town #3.

In that shrine is a woman who introduces herself as the fairy queen. She explains that she contacted Lia in her sleep. So, she was the disembodied voice that spoke to her in the beginning? The no longer disembodied voice then apologizes for any bad thing she may have said. She didn't say any bad thing though since Lia picked a personality she approved of, but it's still a nice gesture to apologize for what she may have said had the reality been different. The fairy queen then proceeds to give Lia the Rain Staff.

Next time Lia goes trough the towns again and pays careful attention to the clues the townspeople give her. Then she has to follow the clues will lead her to the needed McGuffins and some nice extra loot. That or she prays to elFAQo for guidance, whatever she feels like.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 13, 2010, 02:57:27 AM »
inFamous- Zeke is a punk. Poor Trish ;-; The conflict with John and Moya is pretty neat. Otherwise, the villains so far are eh. Funny when your allies are more interesting antagonists than the villains. Anyway, Lightning Storm is badass. Almost done liberating the Historic District, but I probably have a few more story missions to go.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #777 on: February 13, 2010, 04:45:57 AM »
ME2- So, no matter whether you picked Ashley or Kaiden to die on Virmire in ME1, state policy apparently becomes to memorialize them in the most ironic fashion possible.

If Kaiden dies, the Alenko Foundation is established to identify and train young Biotics. Supposedly it's nicer than BAaT because they have sonic stunners instead of stun guns to subdue the students with if they go out of control.

If Ashley dies, she becomes the first human ever to be decorated by an alien government (two, actually: both the salarians and the turians award her their highest medals of honor). Her epitaph is something Kaiden would say falsely attributed to her.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 13, 2010, 08:19:42 AM »
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army - Worked my way through the first case which was mostly fetch quests but I don't mind as the game is still in its opening. No idea why that guy transformed into a demon but I'm sure I'll find out and that shadow man will be responsible.

Now into episode 2 where I got into a fight in a bathhouse with two mobsters while NAKED! Well Raidou keeps his awesome hat because well, would anyone ever take it off? I don't think so.
Gameplay wise I've put a lot of points in Str which is something I never do in SMT games. I hope I don't come to regret that.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 13, 2010, 04:41:08 PM »
DQ5 - Somewhere! I just got a magic carpet, and now want to watch Aladdin again! Also, not sure where to go, but that's because most my time has been spent on...

League of Legends - Addicting! They just released a new champion named Pantheon who is a spear toting, jumping fiend of a crazed spartan. Needless to say, he fits my dragoon obession and has become my favorite character to play with. <3

Tatsunoku vs Capcom - Interesting game. Not exactly like MvC, but then again it's made by a different company and also...it has G-Force character! Just trying to unlock all the characters right now. Fun anyways.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: February 13, 2010, 05:20:56 PM »
Before I start the grinding process with exp modifier cheat codes, would anyone happen to have a DQ5 save file with Nera or Deborah at around 400K exp and no seeds used? That should be L36 for Nera and L37 for Deborah, respectively.

It'd save me some trouble if I could get stats for either from someone else.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 13, 2010, 07:26:40 PM »
KOTOR 2 - Just got off Taris.

Enjoying the game.  Having low influence with Kreia is marginally annoying since she's unwilling to tell me everything.  Despite that she's still my best non-main character just because of her quantum entanglement force bond with Myi'Chell Auobammz.  Baldur Bao Dar only has a spot on my team because my other options are lol utility droid and Atton.  While Atton is less offensive to the taste than Carth by far I also built him stupidly and blasters kind of suck right now. 

I wonder how much longer it is until I can upgrayedd to Weapon's Master.  I've been dying some recently since I haven't leveled up past 8 (my teammates, for reference, are level 11.) 

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 13, 2010, 08:24:23 PM »
Now into episode 2 where I got into a fight in a bathhouse with two mobsters while NAKED! Well Raidou keeps his awesome hat because well, would anyone ever take it off? I don't think so.

So awesome.

You won't regret those points in strength, by the way.  There are a few things in the game that reduce or immune physical damage, but not enough to be a serious concern.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 13, 2010, 09:57:57 PM »
KOTOR 2 - Just got off Taris.

Enjoying the game.  Having low influence with Kreia is marginally annoying since she's unwilling to tell me everything.  Despite that she's still my best non-main character just because of her quantum entanglement force bond with Myi'Chell Auobammz.  Baldur Bao Dar only has a spot on my team because my other options are lol utility droid and Atton.  While Atton is less offensive to the taste than Carth by far I also built him stupidly and blasters kind of suck right now. 

I wonder how much longer it is until I can upgrayedd to Weapon's Master.  I've been dying some recently since I haven't leveled up past 8 (my teammates, for reference, are level 11.) 

Level 15. Also, Atton's build can be easily fixed by making him a Jedi and putting Finesse: Lightsaber on him. I don't even know what you did wrong but that will fix it.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 13, 2010, 10:24:44 PM »
Blasters are great long-term, this is not KotOR1. You will get things that give them enough stopping power to make them the second best weapons in the game(And, due to how the upgrade-everything-ever system works, Lightsabers aren't a good idea to just run. You can. But...it's better to keep some different weapons around. You'll run out of crystals and then they won't be better anymore.).

Of course, Rob is still right. You could try to build Atton almost any way and that would at least salvage him somewhat, pretty fast.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 13, 2010, 11:02:54 PM »
Jedi Defense + Lightsaber defense + Scoundrel's Luck makes him INCREDIBLY hard to kill. And if he does go down, he gets back up.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 14, 2010, 01:23:31 AM »
Then I'll resume using him after Nar Shadaa.  No point in risking screwing him up further until then.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 14, 2010, 02:04:48 AM »
He's got a boss fight on Nar Shaddaa, so maybe keep that in mind. Also, NS is where you Jedify him.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 14, 2010, 03:08:14 AM »
He's got a boss fight on Nar Shaddaa, so maybe keep that in mind. Also, NS is where you Jedify him.

Hence while I'll be keeping him a lower level until then: Jedi Sentinel levels > Scoundrel levels I assume.  And if by "He has a boss fight" you mean "he's forced in a boss fight" then that's fine; Myi'Chell Auobammz, now that I know that there's no point in saving levels for her, is a one woman army. 

Anyway, went to Dantooine, have not started the main quest yet but have gone through the crystal cave and I think I'm done with 3/4ths of the sidequests.  Bao-Dur has recently gotten a feat level and is now able to survive more than a couple hits before dying.  Hooray toughness.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 14, 2010, 03:43:45 AM »
FFTA2: Obtained all generic classes finally!

Also, Ultima Shot is awesome, even though it costs 32 MP...

...oh, hi there Ether Shell from Canoneer <_<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 14, 2010, 03:44:56 AM »

Hence while I'll be keeping him a lower level until then: Jedi Sentinel levels > Scoundrel levels I assume.  And if by "He has a boss fight" you mean "he's forced in a boss fight" then that's fine; Myi'Chell Auobammz, now that I know that there's no point in saving levels for her, is a one woman army.  

Anyway, went to Dantooine, have not started the main quest yet but have gone through the crystal cave and I think I'm done with 3/4ths of the sidequests.  Bao-Dur has recently gotten a feat level and is now able to survive more than a couple hits before dying.  Hooray toughness.

No, I mean he has a solo boss fight. He's also got a sequence where you are seperated from the group and Atton is the party leader. You can turn him in to a Jedi before having to do any of that, though.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 14, 2010, 04:26:12 AM »

Hence while I'll be keeping him a lower level until then: Jedi Sentinel levels > Scoundrel levels I assume.  And if by "He has a boss fight" you mean "he's forced in a boss fight" then that's fine; Myi'Chell Auobammz, now that I know that there's no point in saving levels for her, is a one woman army. 

Anyway, went to Dantooine, have not started the main quest yet but have gone through the crystal cave and I think I'm done with 3/4ths of the sidequests.  Bao-Dur has recently gotten a feat level and is now able to survive more than a couple hits before dying.  Hooray toughness.

No, I mean he has a solo boss fight. He's also got a sequence where you are seperated from the group and Atton is the party leader. You can turn him in to a Jedi before having to do any of that, though.

Then the Final Solution to the Atton Question will go forward as planned.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 14, 2010, 05:12:15 AM »
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - Yeah, I dunno what it is, but the game is rather addicting. I've ended up enjoying it a lot more than I expected. Just beat Chapter 20x. Caeda has been promoted for quite a while (as in she's Level 5-6 or so), Athena and Abel have promoted more recently. Still waiting on other dudes.

The Starsphere is awesome. Beck was getting murdered by limited weapon use (would it have killed them to drop another Hoistflamme?) but between finally getting a weapon upgrade and that little dandy he is much better. Granted, he has to fight various other people for it, but the concept of the ballistician is neat enough that I am willing to favour him a little. Boots similarly help him a lot. Not sure he's great objectively but it's neat to try a different kind of PC.

I missed Tiki because you have to keep a scrub PC alive for a long time to get her. :(

Party hasn't changed significantly since my last post. Etzel works as a second staff user filler but he's inferior to Wendell because he only has a D rank.

Super Mario World 2 - Game I feel very, very overdue to play. I actually did play it... 14 years ago or so... and remember liking it but haven't touched it since so I've been meaning to see it again with a more discerning eye for a while. I literally only remember three things about the game: the intro sequence (the setup is memorable), Baby Mario's waaaaah waaaah (MUST GET HIM BACK MAKE CRYING STOP) and the Raven who is pretty much the most creative boss fight in a platformer ever. Annnnyway, I'm up to the second half of world 3. Quite a number of things I like about this game. In particular, stage design is very varied and creative. As in, SMB3 level. Maybe. It's different. Bosses... early ones were just horrible (oh hey shoot eggs at them repeatedly) but then the game throws the Flower Pot ghost at you which is just brilliant. Also the froggy to a lesser extent. Challenge level is generally in a good place, too, which is nice. My main issue is with the controls, I just don't like how Yoshi handles much at all. I feel like I have much more trouble than I should landing in the correct place. The hovering thing is pretty cool at least, just the execution of the controls could have been better.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: February 14, 2010, 05:21:05 AM »
PWI:  Hit level 90, and got my gold TT90 armor set:

Can you withstand the sexy?

TvsC:  Unlocked all characters, still have a few to get endings for.  Got a 47-win streak in Survival mode with Roll (and minor assistance from Tekkaman Blade).  Roll is so amazing.

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: February 14, 2010, 06:21:52 AM »
Dragon Quest 5: Finished. The second Nimzo fight took forever due to his HP getting pushed up to 7000, but I was under very little threat so long as I maintained Insulate up and spammed Sage's Stone, and with the 2x speed accessory on Parry that wasn't exactly hard.

As a game, DQ5 is really distinguished from bog standard RPGs by two things: the "generations"-spanning plotline and the monster recruiting system. Unfortunately, both of them seriously suffer from being bound by Dragon Quest sensibilities.

More than any other game in the series that I've played, DQ5 desperately needed a main who could talk and exhibit an actual personality - even a relatively generic one would help. So much of the plot revolves around the main's personal life rather than saving the world per se that the game would've benefited greatly from showing just how he reacted emotionally and grew from everything he went through (many of which are genuinely NOT cliched or bog standard for RPGs, for once). Instead we get an emotionless cypher who never shows any reaction to anything. The improvements to the script just accentuate how much of a missed opportunity this was.

Any claims that a silent main lets the player "step into the role" are invalidated by the fact that every single personal decision (and there are some pretty significant ones) is railroaded by the game with no chance to mold him in your likeness in any fashion, except for the marriage - and boy, does the game try to guilt trip you into doing what it wants there as well. Speaking of that much-hyped marriage decision, it basically boils down to the game repeatedly telling you over and over that Bianca is your One True Love because there's no way in hell to actually show a dialogue-less, expressionless blank having actual feelings or chemistry with anyone. Nope, gotta resort to the bludgeon with NPC text, including from one of the wife choices even!

Monster recruiting is a pretty neat idea on paper; it gives you access to an enormous variety of PC options, with tons of variety in terms of stats, skills, equipment, and everything. It also takes advantage of the fact that Akira Toriyama is a vastly superior monster designer than he is with humans (see the main looking exactly like Goku with a turban, or Bianca pretty much being Android 18 with different clothes). The "recruit by killing lots of them until one joins" system, combined with rates that are often pretty rare is a huge fundamental problem though. Most monsters require a lot of luck or a very significant time investment to actually get, and nothing speeds up the process so you just have to sit there and grind more. Oh, and when you finally get one to join you'll probably have to get it caught up on levels, too. More grinding, whee! Just what we needed in a Dragon Quest game! All the new monsters added in the remake help, since more of them means a better chance of getting something good to join up, but it doesn't resolve the fundamental issue.

Now in fairness you can easily go through the game with just Slime Knight (easy recruit), Rotten Apple (ditto), Saber (plot recruit), and assorted high rate flotsam like Slime/Brownie/etc along with your human PCs. But not going any further with monsters seriously limits the game's variety and replayability. It basically becomes just another generic averagish RPG with a substandard plot and some direction problems at time (though way better than most DQ games, admittedly). Now there's nothing wrong with a generic averagish RPG, obviously I've been in the mood for one of those enough to play the game twice (<_<), but barring these sort of irrational urges there's not much to recommend it over other titles lying in the sea of RPG mediocrity. Preferably one where the basic revival spell isn't a foul monster who steals mens' souls and makes them its slaves.

On the upside, Party Chat is a really neat addition that really does add a good deal of personality to both the human characters (when they're around, at least) and to the game itself, to some extent. People besides Harry/Henry actually exhibit a personality this time around, instead of being an indistinguishable morass of genericness. Since people react to almost every location (and almost every line of NPC dialogue, even), it's actually pretty fun to walk around and talk to everyone, then gauge your party's reaction. A lot of the kids' lines in particular were pretty charming in gen 3. Definately the best feature of the game to me, enough to enjoy replaying a game that I didn't really care for in the original form.

Party chat aside, NPC dialogue has been revamped subtly to better give hints on the plot and make the world a bit more developed. Stuff like namedropping Nimzo and his influence on Nadiria earlier on give a better sense of what the world's like for those players who try to talk to as many NPCs as possible. I also approve of the decision to expand on Ladja's plot presence; I remember thinking with the original that they had enough plot to make one villain distinctive but split it out between a whole bunch of people (Gema, Jami, Ivol, Mildrath, to use the original names) so that none of them were memorable in the slightest. Ladja isn't exactly a developed or nuanced villain in any sense, but at least you develop enough familiarity with him that ultimately killing him feels like an accomplishment.

There were tons of polish improvements compared to the original, as well: a bag to store items in instead of needing to deposit them in a bank (a painfully slow process, given all the NPC dialogue you had to go through to drop off/grab any single item), doors opening automatically instead of needing a menu command, no time wasted on a dialogue box if you search an area and don't find any items, being able to buy items in bulk, not having to go through a five-nested menu option each time you cast a healing spell out of battle... the list goes on and on. None of these are deal-breakers individually, but combined they removed a lot of tedium from gameplay. The game's balance has been tweaked in a number of minor ways, some of which I mentioned earlier, which are a pretty clear improvement overall.

On the whole, I'd say the game went from a 4/10 for the original to a 6/10. An alright game with some interesting premises but handicapped on execution by Japan's general "Change = EVIL!!!" policy on Dragon Quest games.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: February 14, 2010, 06:47:32 AM »
It also takes advantage of the fact that Akira Toriyama is a vastly superior monster designer than he is with humans (see the main looking exactly like Goku with a turban, or Bianca pretty much being Android 18 with different clothes).
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Such a low bar to clear anyways!
...into the nightfall.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: February 14, 2010, 06:58:51 AM »
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army - The mobster boss is impressed by my brawling skills, but asks the qestion of who wears a hat in a bath? Raidou Kuzunoha thats who!
Anyway the mission for this episode is a fetch quest but instead of fetching items, you fetch people.
First is a rickshaw runner who has been captured by the SOULLESS army. In the process Raidou gets captured but thankfully the SOULLESS army is incompetant and leaves him outside(!?) a cage guarded by two weak zombie guards. After a few sneaking moments later the runner is saved, who tells me I must first bring him his sister.

A quick detour to the mobster boss gets me the info that she is working in the red light district not far off to the north, and fair enough she is. Unfortunately she refuses to leave till I find the attacker of her husband, sid attacker goes by the name of "Red cape". Not "The Red Cape" but simply "Red Cape".
After beating info out of a ghost taxi (Really), Raidou finds that the Red cape hates taxis and had a piece of a rickshaw on him. Now who hates Taxis and uses Rickshaws? OH SNAP!
With this new info Raidou easily solves the case (After a silly puzzle of course) and kills the Red cape for his crimes.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 14, 2010, 07:07:21 AM »
I'm sure that solved everything!  Case closed, boy, what a short game.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 14, 2010, 08:40:23 AM »
Toriyama can only draw three faces: Male 1, Male 2, and Female.

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 14, 2010, 06:15:20 PM »
Wild Arms of Oz: So gaiz why no boss Strawman/Lion/Tin Man stat topic yet