imageRegister

Author Topic: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!  (Read 362040 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Some Motherf*$&ing Games: 2010!!!!!!
« Reply #1050 on: March 01, 2010, 08:32:13 PM »
ToDr - Unrepentant Asshole x1 get, Swordians x2 lost. Screw you, Leon Magnus. Also, why do I find Rutee more fun to control than Stahn?
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 01, 2010, 08:57:24 PM »
This is supposed to fix itself this evening.  It's an internal clock bug caused by, of all ridiculous things, Y2k.  Preliminary reports indicate you won't actually *lose* any of your saves, trophies or downloaded content, it just isn't available right now.

I hope thats correct. Losing SO4 data is something I do not want. I already had to restart the game while 10+ hours in, to do again while 40+ hours in.... Would pretty much kill the game for me.

By the way anyone know if places like Gamestop (Online) deliver to the UK. Strange journey comes out soon but isn't coming to the UK so I was thinking of importing it. I don't think the DS lite is region locked so besides the large shipping fees it shouldn't be a problem right?
Sorry to ask here but most of those sites don't list where they deliver to and the ones that do don't deliver to here.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:06:11 PM by Rozalia »

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: March 01, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
wait what Strange Journey isn't coming to the UK?

...So, uhh. DS shouldn't be region-locked, so seconding the call for some good places for importing. >.>

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: March 01, 2010, 10:08:42 PM »
ToDr - Jesus Christ Leon is a lot of fun.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: March 01, 2010, 10:27:59 PM »
wait what Strange Journey isn't coming to the UK?

Shouldn't have said that really as I could be wrong but I just don't see it likely. Vs King Abaddon didn't and a lot of companies like to save money by not releasing it here. I can see the reasons why, it just irks me.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 01, 2010, 10:40:54 PM »
Hm.. I've heard nothing of a UK release, but with SMTN being released over here, I imagine Strange Journey will as well, if only 'cause it's part of the main series and on a ridiculously popular console.
Still, likely to be a limited print run, even if it does eventually come over here. Siiiiiiiigh.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: March 01, 2010, 11:16:05 PM »
Nocturne got the PAL release a long time after the NTSC release, like nearly 12 months or so.  I wouldn't hold my breath if you are using that as a yard stick.

DS Lite is not region locked.  Amazon exports plenty of stuff to the UK from memory, so I would try there.  Alternately Playasia or something like that.  Not so good with importers to the UK, but I know a few for Oceania that are not bad (pretty sure Playasia are faaaaiiirrrlly world wide though and I know the one I used for a few games that is actually Brisbane based do ship all over the world, but probably not really worth the cost and their timing is not the greatest).
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 01, 2010, 11:20:42 PM »
ToDr - Rutee Katrea for Straylize Temple MVP. Ice Needles for Godlike or something. Also, PHILIA JOINS AS A NPC, THUS BEING BEREFT OF A BRIEF STINT WHERE SHE'S COMPLETELY WORTHLESS? I DO NOT ACCEPT THIS

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: March 01, 2010, 11:57:14 PM »
Vs King Abaddon didn't and a lot of companies like to save money by not releasing it here. I can see the reasons why, it just irks me.

Laaaaame.  Of course, it barely came out in the states, even.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1059 on: March 02, 2010, 12:19:05 AM »
Has anyone heard anything about the SaGa 2 remake being translated yet?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: March 02, 2010, 01:50:06 AM »
Mega man 10: Played, Beaten Mega Man's side, will do Protoman in a bit...which I know is the same thing, just different character, but hush!

Anyway, quick run down cause, well, its Mega Man, you know the basics!

-Robot Masters are a little on the easy side barring one or two exceptions.  They aren't laughable jokes, mind, but felt they were easier to figure out and get a hang on than the previous game.  To give you an idea?  I bustered all the Robot Masters with no E Tanks (though I had to try Solar Man at least like 6 times!) this playthrough already.  Mind you, I nailed them with weaknesses on the Boss Rush (Mega Man? A BOSS RUSH!? OMG SPOILARS!!), but that was partially cause I was in a hurry (Mandy wanted on), and bustering Boss Rushes can get frustrating.
-Stage design is still cool stuff; its not quite MM9 level, but that's asking for a lot, so I'm pleased with what we did get, as there's still creativity and generally well handled.  One stage I can say I openly did not like was Wily Stage 2; just filled with annoying death traps, and its kind of bland, with 2 Mini Bosses, etc.  Its not the worst stage ever, but I still wasn't fond of it.
-Wily Stage 1 is made of infinite win.  I'm not gonna spoil why, but if you get there, you'll figure out pretty quickly.
-The Teleporting Wily ship (...come on, they've used this since Mega Man 4, and have failed to not bring it back, YOU KNEW IT WAS GOING TO BE THERE) was cool for a number of reasons.  First off, there was an obvious MM2 nod (actually, a few but lets not get into that) in the way it was presented.  Secondly, an obvious MM3 nod as well.  Lastly, THEY DID SOMETHING ORIGINAL with it, rather than the usual "He teleports, DODGE HIS MOVE AND ATTACK HIM WHEN HE APPEAR!" thing (they did, at least, try to come up with creative attacks in previous games, but here, it was the same spirit with a unique twist that made the fight cool.)
-Addition of being able to select the Shop between game overs without going to the Boss Select Screen was a nice convenience, on that note
-Weapons...are hard to judge.  They feel almost entirely niche based, though I didn't use them a lot.  They felt closer to, say, MMX4/8 style Weapons which were more Compliments to the Buster than stand alone weapons.  Though, again, I didn't play around with them a lot, so take this with a grain of salt.
--I will grant that the Water Shield was cool stuff.  A nice In-Between of the ludicrous shit like Jewel Barrier and the meh stuff like Plant Shield.  Its like Junk Shield, only a bit easier to work with and better at stopping projectiles, etc (also has the luxury of being in a better game <.<)
-Plot is back to the old Mega Man Formula! "Wily isn't responsible for the shit going on...OH WAIT YES HE IS ACT SHOCKED!!!"  At least MM9 tried something creative, MM10 was basically just rehashing MM3's plot...then again, MEGA MAN PLOT!!!!
-Ending is a bit disappointing.  No, I don't expect an EPIC ENDING, but Mega Man 9's was just really cute in what they did, and would have liked to see something similar.
-Music is...eh, disappointing, I guess.  Its not bad, but the themes aren't memorable, which is subpar for a Mega Man game.  TO ITS CREDIT, the Victory Theme, and the Boss Intro Theme, while the classic songs, have their own redone 8 Bit style in MM10, rather than just ripping directly from MM2 like MM9 did, so it was a nice touch.  To branch from that, the "Get Weapon!" song was a lot better than what MM9 used too (using MM2's Weapon Get Theme? Seriously, what were they thinking!?!?)

Overall?  A decent enough entry.  Its not as good as MM9 if you ask me, which was absolutely brilliant, but its a decent enough follow up; asking it to be as good as MM9 is really a tall order if you ask me, so I'm content with what we got.  A new entry to Mega Man series that's fairly good, that's really all I ask for, and that's what MM10 is, to say the least.
Its similar to DMC4 in that regard, where a similar "Its no DMC3, but its still pretty darn good on its own merits" thing kicked in.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 02, 2010, 03:21:48 AM »
ToDr - Rutee Katrea for Straylize Temple MVP. Ice Needles for Godlike or something.

Indeed, low level spell in this game have uses. You'll also be finding Woodrow using Wind Arrow a lot.
And she technically is better than Sthan at combo as well due to she has more spell that actually enhance your comboability.

It' won't be problematic if their attack are too fast, but having short duration hit box is huge problem. I have problem connecting his Vysaga based skill set due to that.
Punchy glove? You means Rare Hunter.... I think I saw that back in NxC somewhere.....

The thing is that the fast execution means you can wait until the enemy's right in front of Axel before pulling the trigger. It's more annoying with other characters because not only is there a short window to land the hit, but you have to factor the windup time into the equation. Axel's happens instantly so there's no guesswork of "I guess he'll fall in a second and ahalf..."

As for the scene, Pete Pain's about to do the usual EF boss "I don't care that you beat me, I'm just going to do what I was doing anyway and teleport away" routine when MOMO says "fuck this, STEALING MOVE FROM THE FIRST XS GAME THAT NOBODY EVEN REMEMBERS" and fishing-poles the glove right off his hand. It was just a perfect in-game use of something that (a) only ever comes up in battle and (b) is from so long ago that I think I'm the only person who remembered that it even existed.

It is Hamelan, not Pete Pain.

Also, indeed Axel has no guess work, but his combo requires PRECISE timing. Despite fast, his hit box is still short last and small, making timing even more important. I'd rather have a slow move, but have long lasting hit box that I can just hit the buttons early and wait for enemy to fell into it. Why Alice is so easy to combo, as well as Kaguya. Axel is ridiculously lacking in this department and controlling him quickly becomes a tiring job.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: March 02, 2010, 08:08:07 AM »
Estpolis:

<Gades> lolololololmeteorspam
<Maxim> GRAH GET DOWN HERE SO I CAN STICK THIS SWORD INTO YOU DAMMIT

Also hurray for dodgerolling.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: March 02, 2010, 01:21:45 PM »
AAI Edgeworth -

Terrific, as expected.

Problems consist of: there are too many presentations where they explain to you exactly what you have to present, even some in the final case; one of the presentations in case 3 is enraging and resulted in me looking it up - in fact there are certain similarities to the presentation which caused me ire in JFA, and I will have to endeavour to keep those in mind in the future to watch for the same trick being pulled again; another presentation in case 3 follows a sketchy train of thought that I can't really argue against because there is really no better possibility available at the time, but still; and Lang seems to undergo a fairly noticable personality-softening between the times he appears.

Maybe a bit too many returning faces. The Logic component was a bit weak also; there are never any pieces you don't use, and the most you ever have at once is 6 if my memory is holding out. It also feels like you have considerably more health than in the previous games, and on top of that you almost never face increased penalties.

It was good fun all round anyway. The final also stands out as considerably more savvy than any of the villains in PW1/2/AJ.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: March 03, 2010, 02:15:23 AM »
Out of Curiousity, which presentation are you talking about in JFA?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: March 03, 2010, 04:13:22 AM »
Ys Origin - Started this. Looks really pretty! Also, Hugo is freaking wrong. DANMAKU WHORING AND GETS A SPAMMABLE CHEESE BARRIER AS HIS FIRST SKILL THIS TOTALLY ISN'T UNBALANCED

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: March 03, 2010, 05:03:00 AM »
Wizard of Oz: in the Frozen Castle.

MM10: Started Protoman, beat Sheep Man and Commandoman.  Former was about the same difficulty, maybe easier cause his fighting style really supports charge shots, latter was harder, cause the extra damage you take REALLY makes a difference in that style of fight, such that the room for error...yeah (Mega Man can take a few hits and not be in too much danger, so screwing up a few times isn't so bad.  Protoman...gets 3 shotted.)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: March 03, 2010, 05:40:18 AM »
Estpolis:

Kill him fast and get Gades Blade.

Ys Origin - Started this. Looks really pretty! Also, Hugo is freaking wrong. DANMAKU WHORING AND GETS A SPAMMABLE CHEESE BARRIER AS HIS FIRST SKILL THIS TOTALLY ISN'T UNBALANCED

Do you desire a full lecture on Y's Chronology?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: March 03, 2010, 05:45:33 AM »
Do you desire a full lecture on Y's Chronology?

Board PM that to me? I mean, I'm not really much on the "care about Ys plot" wagon, but having something to read and have a vague understanding of Origin over never hurts.

Ys Origin - In which I meet and lol danmaku Epona the Furious Female Pony Fighter. I now discovered the limits of Hugo's Wind Barrier.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: March 03, 2010, 07:16:27 AM »
Estpolis:

Kill him fast and get Gades Blade.

Is this a reasonable accomplishment or does it rely on the AI roulette not wanting to spam meteors every six to ten seconds?

Edit:

Estpolis - So Gades is actually a giant robot eh.

Also holy crap Gades Round 3.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 08:51:41 AM by Random Consonant »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: March 03, 2010, 07:57:35 AM »
Spectral Souls- Finished Chapter 5. Did the Neverland Historical Battle. Using Illfx was cool, but finding out the Double+Triple+Quad Attack combo using Geoff IV made the battle worth it. Also kicking Anderson's worthless ass. Holy Empire are a bunch of lamers.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: March 03, 2010, 08:58:16 AM »
Out of Curiousity, which presentation are you talking about in JFA?

It was the one during the Max Galactica case where the testimony mentioned two things and you had to complain about there having to be three things. As I remember the situation, there was no implication that the third thing wasn't present... but to me now, that would probably be enough to make it worth questioning. Either my skills at the time were deficient, or I don't remember enough of it to accurately judge what my problem with it was, but it was annoying.

In any case, that situation was at least more of me having no idea as to how to proceed compared to the AAI situation where they completely lead you up the garden path as to what your current problem with the testimony should be. Was mostly just stating the coincidence between the two as it came to mind.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: March 03, 2010, 12:58:48 PM »
Estpolis - So Gades is actually a giant robot eh.

Is this out in English release already or are you hitting up a Japanese version also?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: March 03, 2010, 02:27:32 PM »
He's hitting a Japanese version.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: March 03, 2010, 03:17:20 PM »
Twil:  Oooooh, yeah.  I don't remember exactly, but I do recall one of the presents about Max's personal effects being complete and utter bullshit.  I chalked it up to a mistranslation.  Good to know that I should keep an eye out for that when I play AAEI.

Mass Effect:  Okay, I don't get it.  Graphics turned down to the lowest settings, except motion blur is still on so I don't get a headache playing the game.  Reinstalled my GEForce 8400 GS drivers. After upgrayedding RAM I even meet the "Recommended" reqs in everything except processor and graphics card, both of which meet minimum reqs.  Why the hell won't the game work for more than a few minutes at a time?!  It always crashes when switching from a menu back to the main map, too.