Register

Author Topic: Puny Miscellaneous Links for Mortals: 2010  (Read 92965 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Puny Miscellaneous Links for Mortals: 2010
« Reply #325 on: April 14, 2010, 01:50:52 PM »
At what?  The risk of another bad game in the X-Com series?  I think we stopped caring about that 3 games ago which is over a decade ago.  A spiritual successor that might suck?  We stopped caring about that 6 games ago (which is less than a decade ago).

X-Com is godly, but it is all frontloaded.  It does not cut to deep.

Edit - Oh I missed that it was an FPS.  2K Marin are competent if not stellar at making FPS.  Better them than Raven Software or something, but even they would do.  It wouldn't take much to get me at least interested in an X-Com shooter.  Enforcer had way more wrong with it than the fact that it was a shooter.  It was the fact that it was a bad shooter that had no concept of Canon which made it a flaming pile of shit.

Sure I would prefer a turn based strategy game, but the series is well established with spin offs at this point, it was like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, sure I would have preferred a new Might and Magic game, but he series already did spin offs into other genres and that one actually did them well.

This is nothing like the sacrilege that was Fallout 3.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:56:12 PM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 14, 2010, 02:55:32 PM »
This is nothing like the sacrilege that was Fallout 3.

I dunno about that.  I mean, it's a shooter spinoff in a series that's already had some bad spinoffs made by a high-profile studio versus...a shooter spinoff in a series that's already had some bad spinoffs made by a high-profile studio.

Sounds like exactly the same sacrilege.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #327 on: April 14, 2010, 06:04:55 PM »
I didn't really mind Fallout 3 being a shooter so much because combat is inherently the least-interesting part of every turn-based game I've ever played. It also did a great job with ambiance, and exploration was certainly more interesting than it had been in other games.

No, my primary gripe is dialogue. But nothing has dialogue on par with the originals anyway.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 14, 2010, 11:01:26 PM »
Fallout only had Fallout Tactics, which was not that bad (Better than X-Com Apocalypse, also third game in the series and still pretty aright) and still functioned largely the same as Fallout.  It just shifted the TB RPG into a TB Squad based tactics game.  The difference there is like the difference between a good Pen and Paper table top RPG and straight up table top war gaming, which is a fine jump.  Not one that I consider a great idea, but you are talking to pretty much the same audience. 

Interceptor is really bad and Enforcer is absolutely laughable.  But comparing Fallout 3 to the equivalent jump (Interceptor) I will give Interceptor this, it actively tried to keep some of the old core gameplay, it still has base building and fairly freeform gameplay for your overall strategy (even if actua individual missions are spoon fed to you), it actively tried to keep the same macro gameplay the series has had  in one form or another the whole time.  Fallout 3 has HEY GUYS WE HAVE SPECIAL WHICH IS FUCKING USELESS AND NEUTERED LOL.  Interceptor embraced the canon and tried to progress what had become a plot line spread over a few hundred years at that point.  It didn't do everything perfectly, but it really tried and didn't outright retcon the fuck out of it (OH GODS I JUST REALISED I HADN'T BEEN TAKING INTO ACCOUNT BOS EXISTING).  Okay so see those last aside.  You are right.  You are totally right.

Sooooooo I am going to look at it differently.  Fallout 3 was the follow up to an abomination that should have never existed and all it took from that abomination is that the fans are douchebags who won't give a shitty game a chance, so they just straight up ignored the fans and made a shitty game with no respect for the canon.

This on the other hand is the follow up to an abomination that had no respect for the canon and it is being made by people that are at least competant at making the kinds of games they are.  So totally different kind of sacrilege because 2K Boston have talent where Bethesda has design by comittee >_>

Edit- Posted for the funnies since the realisation that I had successfully completely blanked the community trolling effort that is Brotherhood of Steel out of my mind completely just made me laugh.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:03:15 PM by Grefter »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 15, 2010, 06:20:59 AM »
Eh I dunno, might be background and the company you keep?  Or amount of times I have had to spend away from music while more and more often being unable to listen to music while I work?

I studied a Science at University (lolpscyhology=science) where you started with Music and went on to English.  I live with two people who although listen to music and like it do not embrace and completely envelope themselves in it and refuse to take it to the art fag level I do.  Whenever I try to explain to people why I need music to sleep well or why it helps me think or how even ultra aggressive music calms me (or focusses me at least) and just plain makes me happy I can never really put it into words.  It is just music, that is what it does, that is how it feels.

Someone successfully putting that into a comic astounds me, especially with how bady the medium handles music, it abandons tryig to emulate music and succeeds in just plain showing how music feels. 

Those things together astound me.  It also helps that the first comic is probably the weakest of the 6, Penny is shallow, but she is a good centrepiece to set the stage for the stories around her.

Uh.  Okay.  No, I totally get the music as a calming effect... symbol? Image?  Whatever the correct term is.  I just don't see how the comic is awesome, though.

The art's okay, but the writing's just not that good.  So she likes to dance, and then when she isn't dancing everyone hates her, and then everything is okay once she's dancing.  Right, calming effect of the music, but... nothing else.  No conflict is resolved, the characters never really develop, and it's not even really that clear that the calming effect of the music is what the comic is about.  Sure, it's got that metaphor but it's really not even that well constructed.

It's not bad, no, and perhaps if I had seen the first volume (set? Whatever) I would be more familiar with the setting, and thus the comic.  As it is?  It's pretty damn mediocre, and doesn't do that good of a job of getting across it does.  It gets it across, but I wouldn't say it gets it across well.

EDIT:  Incidentally, this may be the most redundant, repetitive thing I've written in a couple weeks.  Whatever, alcoholism.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 06:22:59 AM by Makkotah »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 15, 2010, 07:55:24 AM »
Fallout only had Fallout Tactics, which was not that bad (Better than X-Com Apocalypse, also third game in the series and still pretty aright) and still functioned largely the same as Fallout.  It just shifted the TB RPG into a TB Squad based tactics game.  The difference there is like the difference between a good Pen and Paper table top RPG and straight up table top war gaming, which is a fine jump.  Not one that I consider a great idea, but you are talking to pretty much the same audience. 

Interceptor is really bad and Enforcer is absolutely laughable.  But comparing Fallout 3 to the equivalent jump (Interceptor) I will give Interceptor this, it actively tried to keep some of the old core gameplay, it still has base building and fairly freeform gameplay for your overall strategy (even if actua individual missions are spoon fed to you), it actively tried to keep the same macro gameplay the series has had  in one form or another the whole time.  Fallout 3 has HEY GUYS WE HAVE SPECIAL WHICH IS FUCKING USELESS AND NEUTERED LOL.  Interceptor embraced the canon and tried to progress what had become a plot line spread over a few hundred years at that point.  It didn't do everything perfectly, but it really tried and didn't outright retcon the fuck out of it (OH GODS I JUST REALISED I HADN'T BEEN TAKING INTO ACCOUNT BOS EXISTING).  Okay so see those last aside.  You are right.  You are totally right.

Sooooooo I am going to look at it differently.  Fallout 3 was the follow up to an abomination that should have never existed and all it took from that abomination is that the fans are douchebags who won't give a shitty game a chance, so they just straight up ignored the fans and made a shitty game with no respect for the canon.

This on the other hand is the follow up to an abomination that had no respect for the canon and it is being made by people that are at least competant at making the kinds of games they are.  So totally different kind of sacrilege because 2K Boston have talent where Bethesda has design by comittee >_>

Edit- Posted for the funnies since the realisation that I had successfully completely blanked the community trolling effort that is Brotherhood of Steel out of my mind completely just made me laugh.

I still think you're grossly underrating Fallout 3. It's got some major issues, sure. Weapons are apparently made of soft plastic, being my first. But it's far from shitty. My next-biggest gameplay issue (ammo and stims being way too common to make the game truly about scavenging) carried over straight from the first two games.

It's a net loss, sure (-worse skill system, -dialogue, but +it is actually kind of fun and not all cumbersome and shit to kill things) but it's far from shitty.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 15, 2010, 09:59:54 AM »
There is this 18 year old girl, she is pretty trendy and shit, people like her, she does stuff.  She goes to the club in the hopes of dancing with this guy who is OMIGOSHSOCUTE, she then proceeds to break one of the three rules of the club (No magic, she tries to charm the DJ into playing a track she wants to while asking for a track he shits all over), but whatevers yeah?  So she goes and asks the boy she likes and HE tells her to fuck off as well!  SO she goes to find her friend who has TOTALLY bailed on her (which didn't really happen, you see her friend hiding behind the toilet door while someone covers for her) and she is told by some total bitch!  Then she is being bothered by Lloyd who is telling her like she is a TOTAL vamp, but whatevers man, it doesn't matter, because that amazing song is playing and nothing matters, because music is that magical.

It is a story written from the point of view of a trendy 18 year old girl, of course there is no character development and the drama has no resolution, because it isn't real drama.  It is just typical short sighted teenage bullshit.  The other characters don't develop because they either don't talk to her or she doesn't listen.  The only person who really talks to HER the whole time that she pays attention to is the DJ and he is a total dick.  Her best friend talks behind quotes from Long Blondes albums, she totaly ignores Lloyd when he is talking to her at the end, Marc is off in his own little world the whole time.

The character development for the other characters is all in their own respective books (there is 5 after this that I have read.  Marc, The chick from the bathroom, the DJs, the best friend and Lloyd, so pretty much everyone Penny interacts with, but one I haven't read) and they ultimately help shape a story that show that there is plenty of other shit happening outside Penny's small world that are causing the things in hers, but she is way to self centred to even consider they are there let alone see them happening.  They all have that central thing that Music is Magic.  They each show it in their own different way.  Music is magic and it is magic to everyone in their own special way.

I am gushing over the entire mini-series, not just the first comic.

This is the second miniseries though, the first one is apparently far more standard plot structure while still being in this magical music setting.  It is all about a guy trying to save the embodiment of Britpop from the dreaded Retromancers.  6 issues long I think?  Heard it is pretty damned awesome as well.

Edit - Regarding Fallout 3 shooter gameplay being more interesting than Fallout 1 and 2.  I have played enough shooters in my time that an uninspiring boring shooter is pretty much a travesty, mix it up with bad item durability system and there is nothing there for me.  Strip out the Fallout setting (which is bent over and ravished with a nailbat) and you have a STALKER knock off with way more enemies to grind through and far less competent shooter gameplay.  I don't give Fallout 3 the credit it maybe deserves, but there is nothing there for me.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:03:27 AM by Grefter »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 15, 2010, 03:44:16 PM »
I am gushing over the entire mini-series, not just the first comic.

And that's part of my problem, I guess.  That first issue wasn't very good.  The rest of it might pull off the metaphor better.

EDIT:  Is the first miniseries free online by chance?  Not that I don't already have a lot on my reading list to start, but if it's good enough I might read it soon.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:02:39 PM by Makkotah »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 15, 2010, 04:05:48 PM »
Not legally.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 15, 2010, 06:56:56 PM »
http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/04/15/heroes-of-might-and-magic-online-mmo-announced/

A persistent HoMM game could be cool. You know, like how online multiplayer in C&C:TS was originally supposed to be, where the world was divided up in to a bunch of small theaters and whatever faction won the most games there in a given span of time would control it on the map.

The bad news? It's being developed by some Chinese game studio so we can count on having to use only Peasants until we grind for a million hours on single-pull mobs until we can use Conscripts.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 19, 2010, 01:01:00 AM »
http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/events.php

They finally announced the dates for the Pokemon Videogame regionals this year.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 19, 2010, 05:11:48 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/8626041.stm

So uh apparently Germany is the most liked nation on earth.

Man, talk about a comeback.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 19, 2010, 07:04:44 AM »
http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/content/cultivated-play-farmville

Interesting sociological article about... well, Farmville.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 20, 2010, 12:48:50 AM »
http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/93590?fp=1

Octopus steals a dude's video camera and swims off with it. While it's still on.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 20, 2010, 10:12:41 AM »
Stop what you are doing and watch this, you fucks.
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=161ixqw&s=5

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 21, 2010, 12:31:19 AM »
Holy shit, they got the license back.  *goes to look at srk*

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 21, 2010, 08:29:56 AM »
People who need to be in it:

Gambit
Juggernaut
Leon S. Kennedy
Wily (as the requisite 3-stage final boss)

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 22, 2010, 05:11:10 AM »
About fucking time!
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 22, 2010, 05:53:59 AM »
Frank West was announced for Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
No sexual encounter can compare to the feelings of delirious delight that I am currently experiencing.
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 22, 2010, 07:26:57 AM »
Hell yes! Totally made my evening.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 22, 2010, 09:02:43 PM »
No sexual encounter can compare to the feelings of delirious delight that I am currently experiencing.

Seriously?  I was afraid he wouldn't return with the reveal of Chris Redfield, cause it felt like the reason they didn't use any RE characters in TvC was cause they ended up going wtih Frank West (who took the whole "Summons Zombies" gimmick), but if he is in, kick ass.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 22, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
http://instantsfun.es/

Endless fun with instant soundbites. Epic?! is my personal favorite, though COMBO BREAKER and It's a trap! are up there.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 22, 2010, 09:32:07 PM »
Loop Wilhelm Scream, reach Nirvana.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 22, 2010, 09:58:02 PM »

Seriously?  I was afraid he wouldn't return with the reveal of Chris Redfield, cause it felt like the reason they didn't use any RE characters in TvC was cause they ended up going wtih Frank West (who took the whole "Summons Zombies" gimmick), but if he is in, kick ass.

Well, Chris and Leon have other shit now. Like suplexes and punching boulders.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 22, 2010, 10:09:44 PM »
Leon, yes, and I consider him the most awesome Resident Evil Protagonist for a reason!  Chris...I don't know what he does in RE5, I just assume "better than whatever the fuck Jill can do"

EDIT: Looking at the Art Poster they released, and checking a comparison and shit, it looks like there's a VERY good chance Dante will FINALLY be in a Capcom Crossover.  ABOUT DAMN TIME TOO if it happens!

Dante + Frank West = Game is already more awesome than MvC2 <_<
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:20:17 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A