Author Topic: Puny Miscellaneous Links for Mortals: 2010  (Read 94683 times)

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
Re: Puny Miscellaneous Links for Mortals: 2010
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2010, 07:41:08 PM »
http://www.recombinantrecords.net/docs/2009-05-Amusing-Ourselves-to-Death.html

So who got it right: Brave New World or Nineteen Eighty-Four?
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2010, 02:19:32 AM »
Neither.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2010, 02:28:31 AM »
Both. 
Edit for more snark-despair: conservatives are ruled in Orwellian fashion, liberals in Huxleyic.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2010, 10:42:21 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/magazine/10psyche-t.html?pagewanted=1

America/the industrialized world has, in addition to all its other exports, apparently succeeded in standardizing mental illness.

Old news for pretty much everyone in the industry outside of the States to be honest, but such is life.  It doesn't stop it from being a useful benchmark.

Orwell was of course right.  It is just being done through methods outlined by Huxley.

Edit - And they miss out on bonus points for failing to note that the methods Huxley puts forward are used to control the Proles in 1984.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2010, 10:46:04 AM »
Meh, give it a few more years. Then I'll be able to come up with a bulletproof, a-ok reason to start PERSECUTING THE WEAK.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2010, 09:38:36 PM »
Both.  
Edit for more snark-despair: conservatives are ruled in Orwellian fashion, liberals in Huxleyic.

As comedic as that is, liberals are significantly ruled by fear as well.  Like, when you buy a $200 car seat for your baby--there's basically no real difference between car seats as far as survivability goes.  Or when you don't let your kid go to Jenny's house because Jenny's father keeps a gun in the house.  (But do let your kid go to Jake's house which has a swimming pool--note that kids are about 100x as likely to die in a swimming pool than to die by firearms left around the house).  Or when we redo all our plugs because we're afraid a kid will stick their fingers in and electrocute themselves (I tried really hard to pull that off as a kid; didn't succeed; not sure if it's even possible on a standard well-installed plug).  Or when people insist that genetically modified foods should be labelled as such, even though genetic modification has been the cleanest, safest technology in a very long time.  Or how about global warming--most leftists are pretty panicked about that (although granted, panic seems justified here).  Or how about fear of sounding racist in front of black coworkers, or (in the case of men) fear of sounding sexist in front of female coworkers, and doing anything from being extra careful with wording to out right censoring their own speech.  (There can be reasons to be fearful, like discrimination lawsuits, but most leftists would be careful anyway out of a paranoia of coming across as an asshole).

And let's not forget who came up with "9/11 was a Bush conspiracy", "Iraq was entirely motivated by oil", "Bush is going to make us teach Intelligent Design in schools."

By contrast, conservatives in the US could be defined by what they love.  Southern Baptist Christianity.  The right to bear arms.  Low taxes, and a free market giving them a feeling that they may not be well-off now, but if they just get the right idea they could make millions.  And of course, the idea that "anyone who messes up my life will have America kick their ass."  Or to be more cartoonish "we always catch and punish the bad guys."--a comforting worldview to many.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:40:07 PM by metroid composite »

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2010, 10:08:40 PM »
By contrast, conservatives in the US could be defined by what they love.   And of course, the idea that "anyone who messes up my life will have America kick their ass."

Woohoo I'm a conservative!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
Both.  

As comedic as that is, liberals are significantly ruled by fear as well.  Like, when you buy a $200 car seat for your baby--there's basically no real difference between car seats as far as survivability goes.  Or when you don't let your kid go to Jenny's house because Jenny's father keeps a gun in the house.  (But do let your kid go to Jake's house which has a swimming pool--note that kids are about 100x as likely to die in a swimming pool than to die by firearms left around the house).  Or when we redo all our plugs because we're afraid a kid will stick their fingers in and electrocute themselves (I tried really hard to pull that off as a kid; didn't succeed; not sure if it's even possible on a standard well-installed plug).

In my experience, freaking out about their kids is a generational thing, not a political alignment issue. My far-right wing aunt who doesn't even want her kids to know that gay people exist freaks out about that shit. Meanwhile, my leftist aunt with the six kids let us teach her youngest how to shoot over Christmas.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2010, 11:35:54 PM »
So it's liberals rule by love and are ruled by fear, conservatives the opposite? Heh

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2010, 02:18:26 AM »
Disclaimer: I've read 1984 but not Brave New World, so my understanding of Huxley's distopia is second-hand.

Anyway, clarification.

On Conservatives- As Grefter aludes to, you have to keep in mind that 1984 keeps control over society in separate ways for the working class (proles) and the white-collar class (such as Winston, the protagonist).
Anyway, the thing to remember is that the typical things associated with Big Brother (the TVs you can't turn off with continual two-way monitering, the secret police, changing history to match the present) are restricted to the white-collar class.  The proles, for the most part, are left alone, and controlled through rationing and patriotic fervor; the reason Oceana is always at war is to create visible enemies and shortages to make this possible.  While rationing in modern society is something that'd be tricky to argue at this level, the idea of creating a highly visible foreign enemy and continually enforcing patriotism against them resembles quite strongly a lot of modern conservatism.
On the higher class end, you have the unlimited police powers, continual spying, giving them a tiny bit more than the proles, and the 10 minutes of Hate, directed very specifically against the "traitor to the Party/Big Brother".  You could argue all day about which party demonizes the other more, but if you look at sideways, the continual preaching about compromised family values, the bigotry against homosexuals, and many issues bundled up in that package are also an easy stand in.  and, generally, well off folks tend to be conservative (and even the ones that aren't think of themselves as such, since they aren't non-tax paying hippies and immigrants), and so you get a lot of propaganda telling them that liberals are trying to increase their taxes, take their guns, and impoverish their children.

On Liberals- Well, the comic in the original link was essentially a giant list of all the ways many americans are distracted from real issues by pleasures, trivialities, and entertainment.  While lots and lots of people fall into this, my experience is that Conservatives are more likely to find such things insulting and stupid, which suggests in turn that left-leaning folk fall into it harder.

And...  I dunno, I find that "won't someone PLEASE think of the children!!" is pretty universal to certain segments of both sides. 
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2010, 08:31:28 PM »
Interesting read: "State of the World 2010" by Bruce Sterling

"Americans really want and need and desire a Futuristic Vision Thing, they get all lonesome and moody without one, but it's absolutely gotta be one of those good-old-fashioned American Futuristic Vision Things, just like the Americans had in the 1950s when everybody else was still on fire from total war and cleaning up the death camps."
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2010, 08:51:23 PM »
Wow, those are pretty interesting snippets. Like the read.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2010, 07:11:20 PM »

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2010, 08:00:19 PM »
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-01-18/dragon-ball-actor-daisuke-gouri-reportedly-passes-away

I know only some folks will care about this, and I already linked this in chat, but longtime japanese VA Daisuke Gouri was found dead today in what is being considered a suicide.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2010, 10:24:04 PM »
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/466307/betrayed-once-more-2nd-edition-is-now-a-go

Betrayal at the House on the Hill: 2ND EDITION, MOTHERFUCKERS! Also with a Create a Scenario contest!

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2010, 10:40:05 PM »
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/466307/betrayed-once-more-2nd-edition-is-now-a-go

Betrayal at the House on the Hill: 2ND EDITION, MOTHERFUCKERS! Also with a Create a Scenario contest!

Oh hell yes.  One of the few board games that I'd really like to own a copy for myself.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2010, 11:23:16 PM »
I completely had a dream where that game appeared this week too.
...into the nightfall.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2010, 11:43:40 PM »
Fantastic.  I've always wanted a copy, but the price was prohibitive.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2010, 08:14:09 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6DBwUKUKMQ

Well, it's not quite Star Wars kid, but it's still pretty hilarious. It wouldn't be as good without the sweatsuit and the way he talks, though.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2010, 09:22:18 AM »
The absolute killer mullet makes it.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2010, 09:39:58 AM »
Mullettail, sir. Mullettail.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2010, 09:41:15 AM »
Touche.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2010, 09:48:56 AM »
What really gets me is every time he starts hanging out of his sweatshirt. I can't help it.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2010, 03:21:44 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi8VTeDHjcM

The internet is made of cats.  This is FACT and also science.  Rathergood has made this educational song on the subject.  It is wonderful and will also make you clever.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 03:24:33 PM by Makkotah »