Author Topic: Rate this game in the DL: FF6 and OB  (Read 6291 times)

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
Re: Rate this game in the DL: FF6 and OB
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 02:52:29 PM »
Can't see half the thread due to annoying library security net issues but good stuffs so far. Yay for FFVI and discussions. Too bad I can't play it due to the PS2 not playing PSX games ;_; I think that last thing I was doing was playing a low level game so that I could make the most of esper stat boosts later. Had just got Relm and was spell building with espers irrc.

Final Fantasy 6

Favorite dueller: Terra and/or Shadow and Mog.
Least favorite dueller: Celes/Sabin/Cyan/Locke

Strongest dueller: Ignoring Kefka - Terra?
Weakest dueller: Gogo w/o skill sets/stats. Haven't decided on what the hell to do with him either <_<

Favorite moment in the DL with this game: Ultros defeating Maria. Or maybe it was Maria defeating Ultros, can't remember. Either way intresting match. Nel vs Shadow was cool too yes.

Least favourite moment in the DL with this game - I must have blocked the horror of Cyan beating Melody out of my mind ;p Now that I remember it though yeah ...

A character you'd like to see added to the game: Goddesses

Will possible expand on this post when I have access to home PC at weekend.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 02:57:03 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 09:13:05 AM »
Final Fantasy 6

Favorite dueller: Terra, for being a great main duelist without being overpowered. Strago, cause -someone- has to love Blue Mages... they're so... Blue.
Least favorite dueller: Gau, for destroying everything I love about Blue Mages. Also, Locke, for having no skillset worth mentioning.

Strongest dueller: Terra and Kefka are both up there. As much as I like Kefka, I don't have a lot of FF6 boss respect.
Weakest dueller: Gogo - a lovable, useless DL Puny!

A character you'd like to see added to the game: The Goddesses. This game has high enough draw to support them. My normal stance is 'less is better', but I could actually get behind this idea.
A character you wouldn't have ranked from this game: I also wouldn't be against booting a lot of the ranked characters. Depends on what the voting trends are like. All the non-Kefka bosses could be ditched. Gogo and Umaro too, as much as I love 'em.

Any other notes/thoughts about the game? This game still feels like the quintessential RPG. My ideas of RPG stat mechanics, party setup, distance in a TB system, dungeon design, elemental systems, and sidequests all stem from the basic ideas presented in this game. Feels right at home in the DL. When I'm mentally comparing two characters from wildly different games, they tend to be translated as directly as possible into the FF6 system and then a match ensues.

Ogre Battle

Favorite dueller: Fogel, for all that it took me a game genie to finally get him, I enjoy his matches.
Least favorite dueller: The clerics.

Strongest dueller: Rashidi, I suppose.
Weakest dueller: Yushis maybe?

Favorite moment in the DL with this game: Tristan champ. As much as I would have enjoyed a different outcome that season, I was still happy for Tristan.
Least favorite moment in the DL with this game: Don't much enjoy any of Rashidi's appearances, though I have nothing against him.

A character you'd like to see added to the game: I would argue Deneb, simply for being the OB mascot. Also, unique starting class. I also like Warren...
A character you wouldn't have ranked from this game: Aisha.

Any other notes/thoughts about the game? Just recently replayed it, so I'm happy it hasn't been forgotten, though a lot of the characters feel too similar or too obscure. A smaller rank would make its more famous characters stand out more. Though really, as long as the unimportant characters just stay out of the main tournament now that they've gotten their token matches while the popular characters keep getting in, it's about the same...

-Djinn

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2008, 12:55:35 PM »
Deneb's a generic in normal OB. Witches are entirely worthless in the DL.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2008, 03:51:05 PM »
Wasn't the main reason she WASN'T ranked was cause she was in other games in the series?  I seem to recall one of the criteria for OB ranks were "Does not appear in later games in the series like TO" if only to avoid all those BS "Hey Canopus has a TO form! HE WINS WITH THAT!" interps and such.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

alanna82

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 09:18:15 PM »
Final Fantasy 6

Favorite dueller: Celes
Least favorite dueller: Umaro and Gau

Strongest dueller: Kefka
Weakest dueller: Cyan, I allow Gogo at least the default 3 party members skillsets, and one of those is tools

Favorite moment in the DL with this game:  Relm winning matches!
Least favorite moment in the DL with this game: cant think of one

A character you'd like to see added to the game: None
A character you wouldn't have ranked from this game: well Leo was booted, and Banon is fine, so its fine the way it is now.

Any other notes/thoughts about the game?

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 06:49:06 AM »
Wasn't the main reason she WASN'T ranked was cause she was in other games in the series?  I seem to recall one of the criteria for OB ranks were "Does not appear in later games in the series like TO" if only to avoid all those BS "Hey Canopus has a TO form! HE WINS WITH THAT!" interps and such.

Yeah, Lans/Warren/Canopus/Deneb not ranked despite the first two being the easiest 2 people to get.  Problem is that Canopus in OB is a low middle (Good evade, no damage), whereas I think he's low godlike in TO?  Headaches and what not.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2008, 07:01:07 AM »
Chapin, for reference, OK is a Pharmacy student.  That should be saying enough.

Makes sense.

As for Rashidi... I don't think people give him HP hype, I think it's more like "Doesn't have worst HP ever."  OB fights are team on team, meaning scaling isn't really necesary for bosses... they come with their own support.  This gives Rashidi 320ish HP to a 230 team average.  He does only have 2 support units though, so he could be fighting 3 on 5 if you want to scale him to that.  Either way, the point is that Rashidi has PCish HP at worst (Unless you wanna count Tarot Cards... meaning all OB bosses are lights.)  PC HP + 6 attacks per round of any element is where the hype comes from.  (No PC gets more than 3, meaning Rashidi is by all means FAST.)

Either way, he's only a mediocre godlike.  The most generous scaling (none) gives him 1.4 PCHP, which a good deal of godlikes can OHKO.  His blitzing isn't the best despite his speed too.  From my last playthrough it seemed like 3 attacks was kill for him, 2 for my lowest HP unit.  Soo... even with his 3x average attacks, he is still only dishing out 1.2 PCHP per turn.

All in all... 1.4x HP and 1.2x Damage, with boss immunities, is a decent godlike.  Not champion material barring a good draw, but also not total OHKO fodder like some people hype.  (Fuck drain hype, since it didn't seem like a move of choice of his in games, and much like I don't let Jade spam BoltX I wouldn't let Rashidi spam drain.)

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2008, 07:12:19 AM »
With no scaling at all Elmdor is nearly 2PCHP, and Dycedarg breaks past it after defences. Fuck "no scaling at all" for SRPG bosses, these guys die way faster than Kefka in-game, support be damned.

As far as I know he's never been hyped for 0.0001PCHP or whatever nonsense this is (though maybe the same people who consider BoF5 bosses OHKOed by everything do? Blah to that), but sub-PC? He sure as heck sounds like it. The only OB boss I fought had Lambda-level HP as far as I'm concerned (godawful even by SPRG standards!), but Warren so doesn't count. <_< (Disclaimer that Elfboy takes a hard line on boss HP holds, but yeah.)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2008, 02:19:20 PM »
It's referring to the idiotic levels of antihype his HP has gotten.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2008, 08:49:13 PM »
Obviously .000001 was hyperbole!  Still, barring Tarot Cards Rashidi doesn't die that fast in game unless you have a row of Ianaku's (sp?) in the back along with a princess leader.

I can see taking him as slightly below PCHP if you have evil interps, but even then his silly int/str/castle make up for that.  He's definately no tank, but he's also not uber OHKO bait is all I'm saying.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 08:51:12 PM by Chapin »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2008, 09:25:13 PM »
Bah. Tarots are a big part of fighting bosses in the game, and it's not like you don't have plenty access to them by the final/second-to-final boss. I think one should be factored in especially for him being the person whom you SAVE them for. And unlike BoFV's trump card, there's no penalty for them... (Note: I am not saying that he should be scaled to Judgment tarot spam, just that it shouldn't just be ignored.)
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2008, 02:30:05 AM »
Even slightly sub PC HP isn't OHKO bait in Godlike since when?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2008, 03:04:47 AM »
Godlike's not without it's slugging style bosses or unlimited status whores that would fail to OHKO Rashidi (Assuming he's comperable to Belial or so.  I have no idea obviously), although his damage doesn't sound high enough to lay waste to them before they do kill him.  He's pretty much toast against Godlike PCs (who tend to OHKO as a rule, barring super spoilers like Celes), and obviously the upper crust beats the tar outta him.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2008, 03:48:34 AM »
Which is exactly my point.  The textbook golike PC has near OHKO damage.  Most good heavies can even pull in 2HKO under most circumstances with the fairly one dimensional ones pulling in very strong 2HKO giving them a good chance of doing some nasty damage to him as well.

Sub PC HP on a boss in godlike is something worth mocking.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2008, 04:30:17 AM »
His strength is passable so physical damage isn't quite as good as it seems.  The big thing is his 255 int score, which IIRC makes his magic defense pretty awesome despite his mehish resists.  Obviously this doesn't fly against the likes of Terra and co, but the likes of Citan (fear 2HKO damage after buffing!) and Rika (Nothing on paper? although dunno her game) are fairly insulting.

Obviously we all have different interps, but Citan... come on now.  Citan is 2HKOing at best, is getting doubled every turn pre haste, doesn't have good healing, and pffft.  You have to see Citan either OHKOing, which means Rashidi has like 60% HP, or see Citan 2HKOing, surviving 3 attacks, and not letting Rashidi use even a single drain.

Despite bad HP in Godlike, he still loses some silly matches.  At least his most recent loss seems legit from everything I've heard about Xorn.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2008, 09:03:46 PM »
Well yeah of course he has things that put him in godlike.  His raw HP is still something pathetic for the bracket.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2008, 01:56:59 AM »
All in all... 1.4x HP and 1.2x Damage, with boss immunities, is a decent godlike.  Not champion material barring a good draw, but also not total OHKO fodder like some people hype.  (Fuck drain hype, since it didn't seem like a move of choice of his in games, and much like I don't let Jade spam BoltX I wouldn't let Rashidi spam drain.)

There's a good reason for him not using Life Drain. (He has zero AI restrictions on what to use, same as a PC OB mage). It's not usually his best damage against a full team of enemies and it's his only ST attack. Why would he use that when he can hit five units with Thunder Flare or Jihad?  It's perfectly legit as a move and there's no AI or in game use reason to restrict him for it.
-------------------