Register

Author Topic: Fire Emblem levels in the DL  (Read 3824 times)

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem levels in the DL
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
Will Marcus always have more though?  I mean it'd be silly to use him early game, but if you do it takes like 40-50 kills in the first 10 levels to gain 2 levels.  Get Nino 40-50 kills and she's... pushing 20/20.

I dunno, I see where you're going with this, but it seems to give the prepromoted people a huge edge when in game... they usually got thrown to the back of the cast for a while until they quit stealing the experience.

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 08:40:48 PM »
Get Nino 40-50 kills and she's... pushing 20/20.

Get Marcus those same 40-50 kills against the same enemies (even assuming he sat on the bench until Nino joined!) and he's also 20/20, and in fact hits it earlier. The point is that if Marcus and Nino do the same things, Marcus will always have a higher level, until both are level capped. If you want to assume everyone is 20/20 in the DL then go for it but given that a lot of people believe endgame is something lower (and I agree) then it makes sense for people to be varying levels.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 01:38:24 AM »
Except you said give everyone equal experience after they join.

This means Marcus is getting his share of the kills in all of those levels that he is a complete experience drain.  Sure, that'll make him a logically higher level because by the time everyone is hitting 20 he'll be a whopping 20/4 or so, but that is completely against how the game is actually played.  You don't use the higher level characters early because there is absolutely no point to it, which basically nullifies their higher level.  By that same token, you use the lower level people (if you are choosing to use them) a lot when you get them because they get such awesome amounts of experience that it becomes more efficient to do so.

Again, I can't speak for 9 or 10, but in FE7 and 8 I can't see the logic behind rewarding characters who better be on your bench for most of the time you have them.  Unless you plan on saying something like "Marcus starts getting real experience at mission 18.  So instead of saying he joins at mission 11, I'll say he joins at mission 18 and start him from there."

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 02:04:37 AM »
Here's how I understand the EXP dividing process.

Find out all the experience gained on a given map.
Divide by number of people you deploy on the map (10 or so?).
Give that much experience to everyone who can be deployed on that map.
Repeat for every map in the game.

It's not equal experience overall, it's equal experience for every map they're available for.

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 07:22:02 AM »
This means Marcus is getting his share of the kills in all of those levels that he is a complete experience drain.

So what if he's an Exp drain? Matters for the Exp ranking, but I doubt you care about that. In all other senses he is no more an Exp drain than, say, Lowen. Either way, if I give them 10% of available kills, that's 10% that nobody else in my party can get. Giving Marcus 70 kills = giving Lowen 70 kills. In comparing Marcus and Lowen, who are available for exactly the same number of maps, it is only fair to give them the same kills. Yes, Marcus getting those kills means nobody else can... the exact same way Lowen prevents other people from getting those kills. The only person who suffers for Marcus getting less Exp than Lowen is Marcus himself... and this is factored into his calculated Exp gain.

(Also, Tal is pretty much correct.)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 08:36:45 AM »
Yes I see what you're doing here, but it's completely against how things work in game.  Nobody in their right mind gets Marcus kills early on, so dividing the kills on each map evenly it just counter intuitive to how the game is actually played.

I mean, some characters in the RPGDL are counter intuitive to their in game use so it isn't totally unheard of for you to do this I just don't see the point in trying to give leveling rules that have nothing to do with the game.  That's my bit.