imageRegister

Author Topic: Season 56 rankings- making the final cut  (Read 11431 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Season 56 rankings- making the final cut
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2010, 12:58:29 AM »
Persona 4 bosses
Played it.

Yes to Killer.  Abstain on Mitsuo and Kunino.  Killer is pretty much the text book example of a rankable boss.  Mitsuo and Kunino both have shades of plot, but unsure if I really feel its enough? 

No to everyone else.  Shadows are not the same as IQA and Id the way we have them ranked,  for reasons noted earlier.  Izanami is a fudged ass pull who pretends to have plot and she's apparently really damn good, so uh, yeah no. 

Wild ARMs XF

Yes.

Rank it.  PCs, and...meh, too lazy to list bosses, I'll just say whoever is getting reasonable amounts of support.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2010, 01:04:43 AM »
You may have heard Kunino-Saigiri by his better known name: Hippie Jesus.

Votes to come in a second.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2010, 01:05:37 AM »
Persona 4 bosses
1. No
2. Abstain
Yeah, I'll get around to it someday. (And everyone takes a sip in the DL Drinking Game for Doma procrastinating on playing or writing something and mentioning it (and a chug for brackets in brackets).)

Wild ARMs XF
1. Yes, but not enough to really vote on it.
2. Yes, rank all PCs (especially Tony), all bosses. No to Generics, but with the understanding that I'm sure they'd be great for NR matches *totally unsubtle hint*.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2010, 01:15:29 AM »
You may have heard Kunino-Saigiri by his better known name: Hippie Jesus.

I know who Kunino is (yet, HIppie Jesus is someone I would never have figured out if super didn't tell me recently), doesn't change my stance.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2010, 01:18:12 AM »
I'm really curious as to why people are saying that Mitsuo and Kunino don't have enough plot for the to be ranked. Just looking through godlike alone there are a number of bosses who have less plot than them and nobody seems to have a problem with those bosses. Leoplod from DQ8 has similar plot to Mitsuo and less plot than Kunino and from what I've seen he seems fairly well liked.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2010, 01:22:33 AM »
UUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLL!!
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2010, 01:56:05 AM »
MICHAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2010, 01:57:44 AM »
...yeah, I've not understood the "What plot?!" arguments either. I mean, sure, they don't impact the -final- plot, but both have major sections in their own right which, from what I've heard, is what got Scythe and Belial ranked. Not only that, but Kunino does have a huge impact on Killer's plot, being the final link towards solving the mystery. So... yeah, really can't see where the arguments are coming from for either, but Kunino especially.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2010, 02:09:47 AM »
MICHAEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2010, 02:53:34 AM »
Pers 4 Bosses

Played it, beat it.

Rank it. Specifically Killer, Mitsuo and Kunino. No to Izanami. No to Ameno. No to PC shadows.

WAXF

In process of playing it.

Rank it. No comments on who/what to rank, though. Haven't beaten the game yet!
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2010, 07:31:56 AM »
Dhyer: Eh, it does sound like our playstyles were just different.  I don't feel bosses should be held against twinked setups, no, but I don't feel I had a twinked setup at all; I felt I had a pretty standard one, and don't think it was built for melee at all, or somehow skimping on killing the support.  No synthed items, most characters in their base class or at least having their base class's equipment on, etc.  Just once the support was dead, Formation Arts tend to be better than about anything other than Six Shooter with Fragile & Degenerator both (and even then, crits and good hit often make the Formation Art a better choice - I don't think it's reflected in the attack preview, but I've seen Formation Arts hit seemingly way more often than they "should."

While I don't agree with NEB about Haste spells being ignored in CTB systems (that is a form of damage buffing, and often a very effective one), I don't believe you should hold the XF cast's ability to cancel/slow down turns against the bosses. If you want to punish their durability for facing things like Six Shooter and a cast full of speed-buffing freaks than that is your prerogative, but debuffs are just the PC cast being badass. Badass casts usually are matched up with badass bosses.

This is a fair enough point but it's actually an issue that the DL is very, very weird about.  For example if you add two zeroes to the end of all the numbers in your game, is this a case of both PCs and bosses just being so incredibly badass so let's give them credit?  The fight is exactly as hard but we don't let the second crew have 100x the stats in the DL.  Now, you're absolutely right that we can't just rank "in-game difficulty" either due to how radically different, say, a ST OHKO is between game systems, but I don't like it when bosses translate strangely.  I'd compare it to why DDS Bat wasn't ranked - he's an ubergodlike in the DL and a wimp in-game since you're guaranteed to have Argilla be able to go wild on him with earth damage.   (Apparently, never played DDS, but know his trick). 

Quote from: Dark Holy Elf
4. We don't scale bosses against speed buffing or debuffing.

Well, as I mentioned before, I generally agree!  (Though I'd agree with Pyro that I would be willing to hold it against boss *HP* maybe as a damage buff.)  However, I see a qualitative difference in Cancel Strike - there's a big difference to me between "getting constantly doubled" and "can't take turns."  Interpreting the second I find to be a headache in the DL.

---

Anyway, to be clear, the general worries about XF are just that - general worries.  If it was only that, I'd probably not be voting DNR, I'd be abstaining like I am with Rupert.  Chelle, already mentioned the Predator Strike respect worries, Charlton's better but I definitely think Charlton 2 is his most legal form.  And on that note, now that I've taken on final Weisheit...  ack, he's a weird one too.  If you let the battlefield be cluttered with obstacles it seems that Weisheit just *loses* to anyone with half his speed or more (and writhes in Light, since he's not double average speed).  Never saw Weisheit use his earlier skillset at all (with Divider) in the final battle, though I suppose he can drop back to one of his earlier forms.  On the other hand, if you make it hard to dodge behind the obstacles, then he's Godlike, sure, but that doesn't really strike me as true to the game where you're specifically prompted to play dodge-a-Merchant.  Or you could say there are some obstacles and say there's an X% chance of having some place to dodge, modified by your movement if any or else agility if you're from a game with no movement.  The most true to the game, but also somewhat arbitrary.  Hrmm.  I don't want to be Captain Negative here, but this sounds like a do-not-rank problem as well.

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2010, 07:46:34 AM »
Even if you let opponents spend a turn to get away from Weisheit (ignoring that he has an effective range of 9 so this is likely impossible in many situations, including at the very least anyone who relies on close-range attacks), he wins as soon as he doubleturns them, which with his speed (180%?) happens pretty quickly. And if you hype this you should hype things like Oscar attacking then running away so he can't be hit next turn, or Ramza running around the battlefield screaming and staying out of enemy reach. (Actually that's much more reasonable since it doesn't assume the arena is uneven height littered with obstacles, etc.... all things I view the arena as profoundly NOT.)

Trying to solo Weisheit, particularly on the desert (the last map makes it a bit easier, I think to compensate for the fact that you face Asgard as well, though IMO the desert is the much harder map of the two), seems borderline impossible even if you remove his golem flunkies and cut his HP, and the DL reflects this. *shrug*

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2010, 02:05:12 PM »
Switched to a no on Izanami. Much as I'd like to rank her, if the formchain is that airtight she is probably too strong. Granted, we have a few bosses as strong in the DL but only really Myria1/Zophar I think? Still, pass for now- if something changes we can always rank her as a FW.

EDIT: What are we ranking 8bit and Kunino as? I'm fine with them as their real names (Mitsuo and Namatame), and the art will match that.

I'd compare it to why DDS Bat wasn't ranked - he's an ubergodlike in the DL and a wimp in-game since you're guaranteed to have Argilla be able to go wild on him with earth damage.   (Apparently, never played DDS, but know his trick).

Bat's a marginal idea from a marginal rank who has some annoying translation issues, who may or not be bluelike thanks to requiring some very specific skills to beat him. The XF stuff sounds more like typical boss scaling issues to me.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 03:01:05 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2010, 03:24:44 PM »
I'd say to rank the P4ers as their real names, yeah. Those're what've got the plot/character in the first place.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2010, 03:51:21 PM »
SPOILERS GOD I AM SICK OF SAYING THIS IN GIGANTIC TYPE

I would suggest the ranking of them to be:

Bored Sociopath Tohru Adachi
Hippie Jesus Taro Namatame
Fetus Mitsuo's Shadow - NOT as Mitsuo, as the two are separate entities...man, Mitsuo really is reminding me of Ull, in terms of the ranking discussion >_>

I would support using, graphics-wise, the official art for the first two, and the Shadow (i.e., red eye) face pic for the last.

SPOILERS GOD I AM SICK OF SAYING THIS IN GIGANTIC TYPE

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2010, 04:45:23 PM »
If Mitsuo has no other form (which I believe is the case?) then I'd just rank him as Mitsuo. Sorta like the fact that we don't rank Jecht as Braska's Final Aeon despite that being his in-battle name and him being not 100% Jecht any more.

Maybe.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2010, 04:47:47 PM »
NEB, it is a different circumstance. Mitsuo is a crazy kid who got thrown into the TV world. What you actually FIGHT is Mitsuo's Shadow, a manifestation of Mitsuo's inner self that is effectively a separate entity from Mitsuo. This is the same case for all of the PC Shadows.

Persona 4 bosses

1. Yes.
2. Rank Nametame and the Killer (next round I am using the real name regardless of who hasn't finished it. We are ranking this person and are not going to put a giant question mark by their name). No to the PC Shadows, Abstain on Izanami and Mitsuo's Shadow.

Wild ARMs XF

1. Yes.
2. Rank the seven PCs (including Tony!), Rupert, Chelle, Weissheit, and Charlton.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 04:50:45 PM by Pyro »

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2010, 05:01:26 PM »
Pyro: I'm aware of that. My point is we rank other fudgy bosses by their most recognisable name, rather than trying to be technical on exactly what they are.

Maybe.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2010, 05:22:17 PM »
2. Rank Nametame and the Killer (next round I am using the real name regardless of who hasn't finished it. We are ranking this person and are not going to put a giant question mark by their name). No to the PC Shadows, Abstain on Izanami and Mitsuo's Shadow.

What's funny is that the Persona 4 guidebook goes to insane lengths to avoid that, and actually DOES use a picture of a Question Mark (?) for the boss graphic (all the others get actual pictures, and while Hippie's identity isn't explicitly stated, they do have the picture of them CONVENIENTLY on the same page >_>)

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2010, 05:25:30 PM »

Elf (SPOILERS, if you care):

Well, it is most recognizable as Mitsuo's Shadow, really - it's the in-battle name, and makes the most plot sense.  And really, Mitsuo's Shadow vs. Mitsuo is...not much of a distinction, as people will know Mitsuo's Shadow stands for what it does, but it is the more correct and recognizable game, compared to Mitsuo himself. 

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2010, 05:27:28 PM »

What's funny is that the Persona 4 guidebook goes to insane lengths to avoid that, and actually DOES use a picture of a Question Mark (?) for the boss graphic (all the others get actual pictures, and while Hippie's identity isn't explicitly stated, they do have the picture of them CONVENIENTLY on the same page >_>)

The on ly reason I'm bothering to spoil the Killer at this point is one last person is finishing up the game right now. Otherwise yeah. Spoilers suck but come with the territory.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2010, 05:31:33 PM »
Yeah, pretty much. Anyone still playing the game should avoid the next topic since we should definitely be using the names as they will appear when ranked in the final topic. (If they want to rank other things anyway they can always PM someone else to post rankings for them without seeing anything.)

Maybe.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2010, 05:34:26 PM »

The on ly reason I'm bothering to spoil the Killer at this point is one last person is finishing up the game right now. Otherwise yeah. Spoilers suck but come with the territory.

I was commenting on Pyro's "...not going to put a giant question mark by their name" comment, as the guidebook does just that.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2010, 05:55:59 PM »
I'd say to rank the P4ers as their real names, yeah. Those're what've got the plot/character in the first place.

This. It's just more fun to call them 8-Bit Hero and Hippie Jesus~
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2010, 05:57:59 PM »
Eh, Hippie Jesus and Baby Fetus are relatively awesome names too