Register

Author Topic: <Untitled IAQ Project>: Round 3: Wherein Attack=((((Y/Z)^M)*T)+R)/0...  (Read 10696 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: <Untitled IAQ Project>: Round 3: Wherein Attack=((((Y/Z)^M)*T)+R)/0...
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 07:40:31 PM »
I'd just like to toss in a hearty fuck no to denying anything for a person being dead at the end of battle.  And a very general, and very strong and emphatic no to basing anything on using someone in battle.  It's not necessary, and it's just annoying.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 09:08:18 PM »
On AP: Outright against for a number of reasons that have mostly been covered in topic, so whatevs.

On stats: I think I liked Tal’s or Don’s or some hybrid list best? I’m still trying to sort things out but, speaking as a WoW player, I think derived stats are a bit more interesting as they provide more elements for give and take between individual items, which, if we’re having overlap, is a good thing! You can give that PC a weapon with a ton of raw attack, but you lose out on the riders of having the one with a lesser amount of Agi instead! Oh noes.

On elements: I’m all for consolidating when possible. Setting wise, I am going to say I’m only for Light/Dark elements if they are portrayed in the literal sense of Light and Dark. I am fairly against any sort of Holy/Unholy. I do support having fairly standardized/transparent elements so as not to scare people off. The only strange element that should exist is Quieting, and it’d pretty much be close to the game’s version of Almighty/Death. Don’t mind a physical split. Idle thought cribbed from WoW suggests combining the oddball elements (water, air, earth, etc) that exist in kind of a weird space into “Nature” damage or something similar. Not fond of combo elements. Just make attacks multi-elemental and invent a rule for how resistance/weakness to one or more types is handled.

On movement: Instant, please. We’re aiming more for positional strategy than other janky move tricks, so let us not make it more obnoxious than need be.

One Equipment: Slot wise, I would encourage something along the Shadow Hearts/Suikoden/etc line of Weapon Slot, Armor Slot, 1-3 Misc Slot. On generalized overlap, I really have no opinion. I would like each PC to at least have one, unique, Ultimate piece of equipment. I’d prefer at least one in each slot, but I’m willing to compromise down to just one, period to better accommodate our large-ish cast. This way you still keep equip options AND the character has a specifically tuned piece of gear with their name on it.

On math: From the sound of it, subtraction sounds like it potentially works the best for a lot of reasons (cute math tricks, tricky fights/situations, etc). But I’m shit at math, so I leave this to the smart people.

On leveling vs stat growths: Sacred cow defense kicking in. Leaning towards just simple, straightforward leveling. We’ve already got a desire for crazy go-nuts skill learning variety. Let’s not muck up just gaining your stat boosts. >_> Also against any sort of randomization as its either meaningless or would cause problems for a very finely tuned hard mode.

On undead: Disquieted abominations are the closest we’re getting if it were purely my choice. We can have some semblance to undead beasties, but I’m not suggesting we group them out as their own thing.

On charge times: So, are we planning on interrupting attacks being possible?

On movement: Constant please. Very minor change due to very specific equipment at worst.

On crits: Visible, please.

On weapons: I’m okay with categories varying notably.

On “Hex Effects/Terrain”: Should be saved for plot/boss fights and be very rare otherwise.

Scanning: Yus.

On breaking up the five sensory tricks/three magic types: Against on basis of flavor. This should already be represented via the way the character’s specials, as well as the way we align their stats. Also against any sort of weapon triangle effect, since it very much does NOT work like that in plot style. Also setting aside that it can’t, really, given the nature of Resonance.

On Dead Exp: Please. Please. Please.

On Out of Battle Exp: See notes about the Hard mode. I either support full sharing or Suiko style exp where they will catch up nearly instantly.

On resources: I think we should generally think a little bit about using Excal’s three system idea as a base concept and work from there, seeing how much variety we can score via passive abilities that modify how the resource works… then worry about branching out into completely new systems if we find this too restricting. Just a decent baseline.

On making someone arrange what looks like the popular ideas at the moment so we could see what it looks like: Please?

Whee. I think that catches me up?

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 09:19:48 PM »
One Equipment: Slot wise, I would encourage something along the Shadow Hearts/Suikoden/etc line of Weapon Slot, Armor Slot, 1-3 Misc Slot. On generalized overlap, I really have no opinion. I would like each PC to at least have one, unique, Ultimate piece of equipment. I’d prefer at least one in each slot, but I’m willing to compromise down to just one, period to better accommodate our large-ish cast. This way you still keep equip options AND the character has a specifically tuned piece of gear with their name on it.

All for this.  weapon, armor, and accessories are generally enough, and if we have more slots (3) for accessories, that does give a fair amount of twinking options.  Do agree that characters should get a unique ultimate weapon, armor, and accessory (even if we have 3 slots, we only need one unique here).  Some of these could be from sidequests, while some could just be in a treasure chest or storebought somewhere.  Do not think all of them should be from sidequests UNLESS we just package all of a person's uniques together in the same sidequest (actually that's not a bad idea, and we can throw in an ultimate skill in there if we wanted).  50 sidequests is probably too much.

On undead: Disquieted abominations are the closest we’re getting if it were purely my choice. We can have some semblance to undead beasties, but I’m not suggesting we group them out as their own thing.

Growlanser: Heritage of War had something similar in the screapers, which weren't actually undead, but still a "special" type of monster.

I think so?  Not sure if EVERY skill needs a charge time (probably not), though.

On resources: I think we should generally think a little bit about using Excal’s three system idea as a base concept and work from there, seeing how much variety we can score via passive abilities that modify how the resource works… then worry about branching out into completely new systems if we find this too restricting. Just a decent baseline.

I agree.  We can start there, and if we have other neat ideas or need to branch out to keep variety, we can later.  But these three systems do give us a good deal to work with, so let's do what we can there first.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 12:49:46 AM »
On stats: I think I liked Tal’s or Don’s or some hybrid list best? I’m still trying to sort things out but, speaking as a WoW player, I think derived stats are a bit more interesting as they provide more elements for give and take between individual items, which, if we’re having overlap, is a good thing! You can give that PC a weapon with a ton of raw attack, but you lose out on the riders of having the one with a lesser amount of Agi instead! Oh noes.

I'm all for derived stats. Pulling from Eternal Poison, I think it would be pretty easy to fit a lot of stats on screen, and in addition to something like Tal's list, we'd need to include a PC's individual Elemental resists.

Also, I'm strongly in favor of each character having a Dissonance/Resonance/Quieting affinity that would work as a multiplier for each type of skill. This would make each skill in the game necessarily have one of these typings. Also, the typings don't effect damage flavor this way.

On elements: I’m all for consolidating when possible. Setting wise, I am going to say I’m only for Light/Dark elements if they are portrayed in the literal sense of Light and Dark. I am fairly against any sort of Holy/Unholy. I do support having fairly standardized/transparent elements so as not to scare people off. The only strange element that should exist is Quieting, and it’d pretty much be close to the game’s version of Almighty/Death. Don’t mind a physical split. Idle thought cribbed from WoW suggests combining the oddball elements (water, air, earth, etc) that exist in kind of a weird space into “Nature” damage or something similar. Not fond of combo elements. Just make attacks multi-elemental and invent a rule for how resistance/weakness to one or more types is handled.

Well, if we make Quieting its own element, then we wouldn't need to give PCs an affinity for it and it should probably work outside the normal rules, akin to Almighty. I'm in favor of this personally.

Splitting Physical into the 3 big types (Slashing, Piercing, Bludgeoning) seems good.

Note that I'm not big on the 5 Senses being elements. I was imagining them more as being how we break up the resources and individual learning styles of each PC.

On movement: Instant, please. We’re aiming more for positional strategy than other janky move tricks, so let us not make it more obnoxious than need be.

Not a huge fan of making this IAQ about positional strategy, I'd prefer if the focus was on speed and skill selection. Especially since that's easier to convey in IAQ form.

I'm very much in favor of 1 Weapon, 1 Armor, 3 Accessories. I'm in favor of characters sharing weapon types a la Eternal Poison. However, I would be very happy to see at least a few unique weapon types (Seriously, how many of PCs can fight with Violins? Just the one). And I feel very strongly that each PC should have at least one unique weapon/armor each, and possibly several mid-game uniques that aren't necessarily hard-to-get or overly special, but just unique to give our cast a little more diversity. How PCs interact with equipment (maybe the same piece gives different stats to different PCs in some cases?) is an easy-to-implement and fun way to diversify how the PCs play.

On leveling vs stat growths: Sacred cow defense kicking in. Leaning towards just simple, straightforward leveling. We’ve already got a desire for crazy go-nuts skill learning variety. Let’s not muck up just gaining your stat boosts. >_> Also against any sort of randomization as its either meaningless or would cause problems for a very finely tuned hard mode.

Tal mentioned that the problem with the CC-style levelling was the Arbitrary Caps and Random Growth. I suggest not having that. Instead, I'm suggesting a linear levelling progression very much like what we're used to, but making it a bit more natural. Instead of Fight-Fight-Fight-Fight-zOMGI'mStrongerLevelUp!; I propose that we decrease the gains to a mere one or two points (and for only one or two stats) and simply make the gains more frequent. Such that every fight gives you -some- reward. This is much more realistic, but still gives a linear progression to the same point. Also it means that each random  you decide to fight can actually make a decent impact on your characters.

If you want to look at it skeptically, I'm suggesting a 'level up' after every battle, but each 'level up' is like +2 or 3 to a single stat that maxes at 999 or something. I was thinking of it more as an organic linear stat increasing, but the end result is the same.

On movement: Constant please. Very minor change due to very specific equipment at worst.

On crits: Visible, please.

On weapons: I’m okay with categories varying notably.

On “Hex Effects/Terrain”: Should be saved for plot/boss fights and be very rare otherwise.

Scanning: Yus.

On breaking up the five sensory tricks/three magic types: Against on basis of flavor. This should already be represented via the way the character’s specials, as well as the way we align their stats. Also against any sort of weapon triangle effect, since it very much does NOT work like that in plot style. Also setting aside that it can’t, really, given the nature of Resonance.

On Dead Exp: Please. Please. Please.

On Out of Battle Exp: See notes about the Hard mode. I either support full sharing or Suiko style exp where they will catch up nearly instantly.

Big section of 'Yes, I think so, too.'

I agree about it being a decent baseline. It's what I based my thoughts on the 5 Senses system on. It's also what I based by mock-up PC builds on in this very topic. It's notable that I already proposed at least one alternate resource method for Eirwen in that she has to gather and store her resources from enemies as 'ingredients' items that basically only she uses. I'm perfectly fine with each PC having some combination of each type of resource method, though I would be heavily in favor of each PC having a 'favored' type of skill. Like... Mirek has a lot of 'Focus' skills, but might have one or two that run off of MP too (or run off of HP in his case?).

On making someone arrange what looks like the popular ideas at the moment so we could see what it looks like: Please?

Uh... isn't that what you just did?

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 12:59:17 AM »
New Post because it's a big discussion point and I didn't want it lost in the middle of the above post.

On math: From the sound of it, subtraction sounds like it potentially works the best for a lot of reasons (cute math tricks, tricky fights/situations, etc). But I’m shit at math, so I leave this to the smart people.

I'd like to see a simple formula with just a bunch of room for Multipliers, personally. Maybe something like... Attack = Damage (and therefore the Magic Formula is M.Attack = Damage).

From there, you can have multipliers like (making up stuff)

Attack * (Attacker's Atk - Defender's Defense) * FireSwordBlast's innate power mult (10x?) * Elemental mult (1.25x) * Cancelled Defender's Action bonus mult (1.05x) * ShadowClone's added damage mult (2x) * Attacker's 'Pancake Eater' passive boost mult (1.5x, increases by .01 for every 50 points of Vitality!) * Defender's 'Added Syrup' damage reduction mult (0.25x) = Effective Damage.

Perhaps there's a better way to balance the subtractive defense though? Since I have Attack being counted twice?

At any rate, I think a basic formula of Obvious Transparent Stat * Bunch of Mults = Damage is an easy system to follow. You could just have each skill in the game have a Base Power. And then Base Power * (Attack - Def) * Bunch of Mults = Damage. For basic physicals, you could give each weapon this Base Power number, or just use Attack.

Thoughts?

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 03:34:08 AM »
Hm.  Idea I've had here for a basic formula would be something along these lines for a 'standard' weapon skill:

((ATK+Skill base power)*(ATK/target DEF)-(Target DEF+Target ARM))*mults

ATK and Target DEF are total (including equipment), ARM is the target's "Armor" stat--in essence, a second form of defense derived only from your equipment--and maybe buffs.  Zero and negative skill bases would be viable; in fact, I'd see a basic physical as having base power 0

Alternatively, could have DEF multiplied by ARM rather than adding the two.

Also, having the idea of hit rate equalling (ACC+Skill mod-(EVA+50))%  Critical stat is likely to be a flat rate, possibly with mods on weapons and skills...possibly being a rate out of all the hits, rather than attack attempts.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:39:57 AM by Namagomi »
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2010, 06:57:29 AM »
Damage formulas: The one Nama posted is quadratic for attack, and... confusing for Def. Don't like it for Def, basically. Also, it's pretty essential, I think, that skill multipliers/additions can be either before or after defence.

I'm for PC base defence varying little; defence always struck me as something that should come mostly from armour since, well, slicing someone with a sword has about the same effect whether you slice someone athletic or not. MDef on the other hand can vary plenty since that has to do with attunement and mastery over flow or whatever. (Suikoden handles this a few ways we might want to copy, with S3 having no base Def stat for humans and S5 having one that barely varies.)

On ultimate unique equips: Voice of dissent, here. I think there's potential for them to suck. Basically, are we going to have a really interesting equipment system where different PCs compete for different things, and many equip options that are viable... only to erode it at the end by handing everyone a clear "ultimate" which they should obviously use and isn't competed for? That sounds really lame. Making the player think about equipment choices = good.

I'm not opposed to some unique cool stuff, -especially- if it makes sense plotwise... but please try to keep options open. This probably means (a) some of the sexy ultimate stuff is shared, a la FF6, and/or (b) the ultimate unique stuff may be only situationally better than some other widely available stuff (see final XF PC's unique weapon which is weaker on raw stats than generic swords but has a cool extra effect).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2010, 09:35:23 AM »
Perhaps there's a better way to balance the subtractive defense though? Since I have Attack being counted twice?

Thoughts?

This is mainly the issue with using subtractive defense. The simplicity of it all may lead to some balancing issues, and you also have to take into consideration the scale of the values you're incorporating. A high scale of values being used would require the formula to be balanced and adaptable to high values so that the output is not completely broken and such. But then, at least, we have a general idea on how our damage is going to be calculated. Adjustments can always be made after we've consolidated the other pertinent information regarding the number crunching.

Re:
((ATK+skill.base.power)*(ATK/targ.def)-(targ.def+target.arm))*(multipliers.here)

It seemed fairly normal enough until I boggled at how defense was incorporated into the formula. It seems rather arbitrary that you'd lump division by targ.def with the quadratic aspect of damage when you already have subtractive defense in there. I don't really get it. Or I'm just completely stupid and dense as lead. I'd like some clarification on this
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2010, 03:22:33 PM »
It's meant to try and incorporate both divisive and subtractive defense at once.  However, I can see how that can prove to be a bit of an issue.  An alternate means would be ripping a page from Touhou Odyssey's book; each skill has its own formula that incorporates relevant stats differently, though notably always subtractive; stats would need to be given a careful look, to say the least.  Most attacks use just four stats;ATK, DEF, MAG, MND.  ATK/DEF/MAG being obvious, and MND being your MDEF stat, and most follow the pattern of A*(B*(ATK or MAG)-(DEF or MND)*C), where A, B, and C are constants of a given sort, C often being fractional in nature.  The multipliers given are indicative of the defense penetration of the attack.  (Interestingly, basic attack formula in there is (ATK*1.5)-(DEF/2).)

Other common forms of attack in that game are those that ignore defense (A*(ATK or MND), A being constant) and those that are composite in nature ( A*(B*(ATK*C+MAG*D)-(DEF*E+MND*F)*G) is the easiest way to summarize it --actually, that's probably the basic equation that is worked from to derive every non-Master Spark attack in the game.  They get very complicated-looking, but all the multiplication and division is by constant and the rest is subtractive.  Surprisingly variable before the other parts of it(ranging from typical added-on status/statdowns, to varying recovery times, to screwing with enemies and sometimes allies' turn order.))

But that mess of equations and hype aside...it's very easy to use a subtractive equation, but it's notable that it usually leads to damage values hitting extremes.  Either defensive stats stop mattering (Every Disgaea ever made once you're far enough into postgame.  Dis3 even sooner) or your offense becomes completely pointless.  Keeping things in the middle with subtractive defense is...tricky, to say the least.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 03:36:07 PM by Namagomi »
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2010, 09:59:25 PM »
Okay, I'm on-board with this latest Nama formula.

I'm assuming that ATK+MAG and DEF+MND wouldn't normally be added together in every attack. Since most attacks are going to be typed Physical OR Magical. But apart from that, I'm okay with a simple formula like that. This -does- mean that ATK isn't going to translate as straight damage most of the time, but I'm okay with that.

So...

(ATK * SkillPower * Elemental mults * Buff mults) - (DEF * Elem Res mults * Buff mults) = Damage (*Special mults)
(MAG * SpellPower * Dissonant Resonant affinity mult *Elem * Buff mults) - (MND * Elem * Buff mults) = Damage (*Special mults)

Or something like that. It -does- make ITD attacks amazing though.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2010, 11:57:06 PM »
Probably out of order, just cherry picking things out and then replying in whatever order I think of replies.

On stat levelling: Djinn: One fight against enemies in area 1 is different from one fight in the final dungeon.  If you're getting stat boosts every battle period, you can grind really really easily in area 1 at the end of the game, and we don't want to make it THAT easy to just grind to 999 stats.  Please take this into account somehow.

Also that is harder to balance bosses around.

On damage formulas: Using a derivative of the Labyrinth of Touhou formula Nama posted would be fine.  It allows for different levels of defense penetration and still makes defense a good stat overall.  It's actually similar mechanically to an idea I was mulling around with before I even played the game (I had weapons interacting with it more, but LoT doesn't have weapons anyway).

Djinn: It doesn't necessarily make ITD that awesome.  In LoT, Rumia has an ITD attack and it's not even her best attack for raw damage (actually it kinda sucks, IIRC).  All you have to do is make the mults lower to balance the ITD part.  And yes, not every attack has both ATK/MAG and DEF/MND in the formula.  Just certain skills (LoT calls them "composite").  I'm a fan of having some attacks that are both physical and magical as well, but we don't have to do it that way.  We can just make them have one hit of physical damage and one hit of magical damage (or more hits on either side).  Ar tonelico does something similar with Jack's basic physical attack (part of it's physical, and it has attached fire damage that depends only on the target's fire resistance and doesn't care about defense at all).

If we want to do something that includes both subtraction and division, we could do something like (ATK-DEF)*ATK/DEF (or the previous (ATK-DEF)*STR/VIT idea I posted awhile back... I think).  The latter only works if we want to keep STR/ATK separate etc., though, which doesn't seem to be the case.  Of course, with the first we can still have pre-DEF and post-DEF mults, and I believe we should if we adopt it.

For the record, I believe the first is the formula FF3DS uses.  If you expand it out, you get ATK^2/DEF-ATK, which looks much weirder, but makes it obvious that ATK is quadratic (and while DEF only looks divisive here, it's applied before the -ATK, which is where the subtractive part comes in).

In the end, it would be something like (ATK*k-DEF)*m*ATK/DEF, k and m are the two mults, though we could have mults for the two DEF factors (bufs?) as well.

But that's just an idea.  Like I said before, a derivative of the Labyrinth of Touhou formula works fine as well.

On ultimate equips: Actually... we could have the "ultimate" equips not completely outclass the other equips.  Since they're per character, they could somehow enhance the character's innate abilities/strengths, but at the cost of lower raw attack power or other stat bonuses.  "Ultimate" just kind of implies "last" to me, not necessarily "best" in practice.  For example, we could have an armor with (+100 DEF, +100 MDEF, +4 VIT), and a character's ultimate could be (+60 DEF, +150 MDEF, +5 AGI, halves fire), and we'll assume the character is a fire mage with good speed and magic defense.  Better suited to the character, but you definitely want to use that former armor if the character is dying to physical attackers a lot (which might be the case if he or she has low physical defense!).

So yeah, basically just expanded on what NEB said I guess.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 12:08:14 AM »
Probably out of order, just cherry picking things out and then replying in whatever order I think of replies.

On stat levelling: Djinn: One fight against enemies in area 1 is different from one fight in the final dungeon.  If you're getting stat boosts every battle period, you can grind really really easily in area 1 at the end of the game, and we don't want to make it THAT easy to just grind to 999 stats.  Please take this into account somehow.

Also that is harder to balance bosses around.

I was under the assumption that our visible randoms were limited. No grinding at all. At least not until near the end? The primary method of getting stronger in the early game is to do the quests that give your PCs more skills. That was my impression of the first round consensus anyway.

On damage formulas:
If we want to do something that includes both subtraction and division, we could do something like (ATK-DEF)*ATK/DEF (or the previous (ATK-DEF)*STR/VIT idea I posted awhile back... I think).  The latter only works if we want to keep STR/ATK separate etc., though, which doesn't seem to be the case.  Of course, with the first we can still have pre-DEF and post-DEF mults, and I believe we should if we adopt it.

If we want to use subtractive -and- divisional DEF... then I'm in favor of the composite formula with both DEF and VIT. Makes it more interesting.

However, I'm far more strongly in favor of a more transparent formula and then we simply list lots of obvious mults/effects on individual skills and equips.

On ultimate equips: Actually... we could have the "ultimate" equips not completely outclass the other equips.  Since they're per character, they could somehow enhance the character's innate abilities/strengths, but at the cost of lower raw attack power or other stat bonuses.  "Ultimate" just kind of implies "last" to me, not necessarily "best" in practice.  For example, we could have an armor with (+100 DEF, +100 MDEF, +4 VIT), and a character's ultimate could be (+60 DEF, +150 MDEF, +5 AGI, halves fire), and we'll assume the character is a fire mage with good speed and magic defense.  Better suited to the character, but you definitely want to use that former armor if the character is dying to physical attackers a lot (which might be the case if he or she has low physical defense!).

So yeah, basically just expanded on what NEB said I guess.

I'm all for this. I was thinking the 'ultimate' equips would be more about passive effects than stats. It would also be cool to have a few unique equips throughout the mid-game too, to encourage the use of different PCs. Like a 'mild regen to whole party' unique accessory for a ressonance user or something.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 12:46:04 AM »
I was under the assumption that our visible randoms were limited. No grinding at all. At least not until near the end? The primary method of getting stronger in the early game is to do the quests that give your PCs more skills. That was my impression of the first round consensus anyway.

I don't think that our "randoms" should be limited.  They should respawn if you leave the dungeon or something.  If people want to grind, just let them, but the visible randoms have the effect of making it easier to figure out what an "average" player would end up power wise (also people just hate on random encounters in general).

Making the randoms limited does stop grinding, but if we design our bosses to be difficult, there are going to be players out there who just can't deal with it (trust me, there are people who find easy bosses difficult), and have no way to deal with it since they can't grind.  It's an option that should be there, just not emphasized.

However, I'm far more strongly in favor of a more transparent formula and then we simply list lots of obvious mults/effects on individual skills and equips.

The formula is "transparent" as long as you tell the player what it is.  If we include damage projections, they don't even need to memorize it unless they want to.  And it's not even that complex of a formula.  Pretty intuitive once you know it, actually.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2010, 12:49:31 AM »
In this case, when I say 'transparent', I mean... you look at a PC's 'ATK' stat, and you have a pretty good idea of how much damage you will do.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2010, 12:57:17 AM »
Well, I'm fine with allowing grinding. But if you're worried about earlygame enemies = endgame enemies, then you just program in diminishing returns on the earlygame randoms as player's stats go up. I mean, we can still use an EXP system, I'm just proposing more frequent, but less potent growth.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2010, 02:54:11 AM »
Well, I'm fine with allowing grinding. But if you're worried about earlygame enemies = endgame enemies, then you just program in diminishing returns on the earlygame randoms as player's stats go up. I mean, we can still use an EXP system, I'm just proposing more frequent, but less potent growth.

Yes, we can.  But that issue has been ignored every single time this kind of thing has come up.

And if we do that somehow, then we wouldn't be getting stats "every battle".  So we'd need to have visible progress shown somewhere.

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2010, 03:25:42 AM »
Noemi - Some starting spells, some plot-given, a few EXP-given. Primarily skill-tree-based learning. As she uses different spell elements, she gains more related spells. I see her as a dagger-wielding type, but she could know how to use a few simple weapon-types (maybe just 2?) and each could have some related techniques. Since she's the main, I'd like to see her have a combination of Cooldown and Limit-break moves. Leaning mostly Cooldown types, with only one or two Limits that are built up by dealing damage (rather than taking it, so she's not a good damage sponge). The Limits are possibly learned through Epiphany-style stat-threshhold breaking. High speed/movement.
Hm.  I disagree on a few points.  While I get the feeling she'd have a normal means of learning spells (Leveling!), I get the feeling that Noemi would be a MP-based mage, who is generally fast.  Possibly evasive as well.  Not sure what she'd have for a weapon, but she'd have a few buffs amidst the spells she has, no doubt.
Mirek - Former guardian, so his skills are mostly physical-based. A lot of starting skills, mostly Limit-style, based on amount of damage taken (each skill builds up a separate bar for him, so he can save up for a large burst of successive power skills). A few passive skills learned through sidequest-type stuff (I'm thinking since he's pretty reactive to the Disquiet, that he learns passive skills just by going to certain locations... or perhaps by going to a certain locale and spending enough time there to solve a puzzle or something and he naturally picks up a new ability, without even really realizing it himself). Average movement/high speed.
Mirek...yeah.  Full physical.  Not sure on learning methods, but I get the feeling that going with the proposed 'iaijutsu'-ish deal that Andy seemed to have in mind for Mirek, the guy's techs are going to be of the cooldown variety, with very short startup, and long recovery.  In essence, his moves have their delay back-loaded, with maybe one or two normal attacks.  Not sure on learning methods.  High speed/average movement works well here.  Might get Quieting(Dispel/ID) later.
Isolde - Seeing her more and more as some kind of Tactile mage. She focuses her power through touching an opponent (and then perhaps that casts an explosion spell from point-blank range?). Learns Blue-Mage style. She'll get attacked by an enemy mage or magic-distort random/boss and pick up the skill, though the range would end up being point-blank when she uses it. Not a ranged fighter with magic. If she needs some kind of range, she's using spear/halberd abilities. Weapon abilities for her would be few and cooldown-style, while her magic is just normal MP (I guess you could do Suiko-style charge levels, but I'm leaning against it since she already has range issues as a drawback). Charge times should match the enemy's. Thinking she can learn around 10-15 abilities through Blue Magic. She starts with some 'Earth' magic. High movement/average speed.
Hm.  Not quite seeing a few things here.  Visualizing her as more of a type who channels her magic through her weapon, as opposed to just by touch, for one.  Burns HP in addition to costs regarding her magic, and I'm seeing her primary element as something else.  Lightning, Water, or Darkness, if any element.  Dunno why.  Feels like that fits.  Possibly having some minor AoE (Melee HT, Evil Blossom-style RT, short LT) in addition to her melee ST spells.  Her magic, as an aside, would likely be gained through plot--as she'd be less likely to learn new stuff, and just start using old stuff again.  As for weapon techs...probably a few starting, and nothing more.  Cooldown-type, of course.

Lastly, how I see her tactile magic coming out...less Blue Mage, more Counter Magic (though I'm seeing her with functionally horrible mEVA on the side).
Erastus - Aural mage. Thinking he's big on AoE stuff. Lots of smash. Erastus is amazing, he's normally not limited by resources (lots of MP), but his Sound-based magic takes a lot of time to cast for big damage. His support-stuff can work like FFX2 Songstress skills - as long as he's chanting, the effect is in place, but he can't do anything else. Later on, there may be some skills where this isn't true and he CAN in fact be double-chanting two effects... maybe after he learns a passive ability to do so... DoubleSpeak, or what-have-you... he IS awesome after all. Since he's a skilled Vision mage too, he might be able to do both. Thinking he learns skills through using different Tomes/Tools. Low movement/speed.
...yeah.  He comes off as slow, frail, super-blasty mage with huge AoEs on his damage and debuffs(Don't forget, he has Resonance despair), but slow charge/recovery times.  Not much more that I can say on the matter.  Thinking Andy'd be better at detailing how/if he learns anything.

Sir Donald 3.2

• Wanting some Kingdom conquering
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2010, 03:27:44 AM »
On breaking up the five sensory tricks/three magic types: Against on basis of flavor. This should already be represented via the way the character’s specials, as well as the way we align their stats.

I'll need to see how that would work before I render judgement.  This is as good of a place as any to propose a new list of base stats:

Strength: Physical Power
Vitality: Physical Resilience
Agility: Maneuverability
Knowledge: Magical Power
Willpower: Magical Resilience
Intelligence: Awareness
Luck:  Just plain Luck

These base stats would figure into the derivations in some manner.  The table I have below is tentative and mailable, so long as each stat has an equal influence (read:number of slots) overall.

HPnts   Vit   Vit   Wil
PhRes   Vit   Str   Int
MaRes   Wil   Wil   Kno
PhOff   Str   Str   Agi
PhDef   Vit   Vit   Str
MaOff   Kno   Kno   Wil
MaDef   Wil   Wil   Vit
PhAcc   Str   Agi   Luc
PhEva   Agi   Agi   Luc
MaAcc   Kno   Int   Luc
MaEva   Agi   Int   Luc
Speed   Agi   Int   Int
PCrit_   Str   Int   Luc
MCrit_   Kno   Kno   Luc

Quote from: AndrewRogue
Also against any sort of weapon triangle effect, since it very much does NOT work like that in plot style. Also setting aside that it can’t, really, given the nature of Resonance.

Ok, major misconception on this point just because I mentioned Fire Emblem.

Regarding the five schools, If Taly says Eternal Poison is a better analogue, I'll take his word for it.  

Still think that practitioner of a particular school should be better able to defend against the types of spells they practice than the types of spells they don't.  This could also extend into the 3 Magic types in lieu of my triangle proposal reiterated below.

As fat as the Dissonance-Quieting-Resonance "triangle" is concerned, it's not an FE Triangle.  What it is is a power triangle wherein too much focus on one school leaves you defenseless against both of the other two.  It's all in the balance.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2010, 03:39:05 AM »
Strength: Physical Power
Vitality: Physical Resilience
Agility: Maneuverability
Knowledge: Magical Power
Willpower: Magical Resilience
Intelligence: Awareness
Luck:  Just plain Luck

Intelligence is Awareness?  Not only does that not make much sense, but it's horribly unintuitive.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2010, 03:53:42 AM »
Noemi - Some starting spells, some plot-given, a few EXP-given. Primarily skill-tree-based learning. As she uses different spell elements, she gains more related spells. I see her as a dagger-wielding type, but she could know how to use a few simple weapon-types (maybe just 2?) and each could have some related techniques. Since she's the main, I'd like to see her have a combination of Cooldown and Limit-break moves. Leaning mostly Cooldown types, with only one or two Limits that are built up by dealing damage (rather than taking it, so she's not a good damage sponge). The Limits are possibly learned through Epiphany-style stat-threshhold breaking. High speed/movement.
Hm.  I disagree on a few points.  While I get the feeling she'd have a normal means of learning spells (Leveling!), I get the feeling that Noemi would be a MP-based mage, who is generally fast.  Possibly evasive as well.  Not sure what she'd have for a weapon, but she'd have a few buffs amidst the spells she has, no doubt.
Mirek - Former guardian, so his skills are mostly physical-based. A lot of starting skills, mostly Limit-style, based on amount of damage taken (each skill builds up a separate bar for him, so he can save up for a large burst of successive power skills). A few passive skills learned through sidequest-type stuff (I'm thinking since he's pretty reactive to the Disquiet, that he learns passive skills just by going to certain locations... or perhaps by going to a certain locale and spending enough time there to solve a puzzle or something and he naturally picks up a new ability, without even really realizing it himself). Average movement/high speed.
Mirek...yeah.  Full physical.  Not sure on learning methods, but I get the feeling that going with the proposed 'iaijutsu'-ish deal that Andy seemed to have in mind for Mirek, the guy's techs are going to be of the cooldown variety, with very short startup, and long recovery.  In essence, his moves have their delay back-loaded, with maybe one or two normal attacks.  Not sure on learning methods.  High speed/average movement works well here.  Might get Quieting(Dispel/ID) later.
Isolde - Seeing her more and more as some kind of Tactile mage. She focuses her power through touching an opponent (and then perhaps that casts an explosion spell from point-blank range?). Learns Blue-Mage style. She'll get attacked by an enemy mage or magic-distort random/boss and pick up the skill, though the range would end up being point-blank when she uses it. Not a ranged fighter with magic. If she needs some kind of range, she's using spear/halberd abilities. Weapon abilities for her would be few and cooldown-style, while her magic is just normal MP (I guess you could do Suiko-style charge levels, but I'm leaning against it since she already has range issues as a drawback). Charge times should match the enemy's. Thinking she can learn around 10-15 abilities through Blue Magic. She starts with some 'Earth' magic. High movement/average speed.
Hm.  Not quite seeing a few things here.  Visualizing her as more of a type who channels her magic through her weapon, as opposed to just by touch, for one.  Burns HP in addition to costs regarding her magic, and I'm seeing her primary element as something else.  Lightning, Water, or Darkness, if any element.  Dunno why.  Feels like that fits.  Possibly having some minor AoE (Melee HT, Evil Blossom-style RT, short LT) in addition to her melee ST spells.  Her magic, as an aside, would likely be gained through plot--as she'd be less likely to learn new stuff, and just start using old stuff again.  As for weapon techs...probably a few starting, and nothing more.  Cooldown-type, of course.

Lastly, how I see her tactile magic coming out...less Blue Mage, more Counter Magic (though I'm seeing her with functionally horrible mEVA on the side).
Erastus - Aural mage. Thinking he's big on AoE stuff. Lots of smash. Erastus is amazing, he's normally not limited by resources (lots of MP), but his Sound-based magic takes a lot of time to cast for big damage. His support-stuff can work like FFX2 Songstress skills - as long as he's chanting, the effect is in place, but he can't do anything else. Later on, there may be some skills where this isn't true and he CAN in fact be double-chanting two effects... maybe after he learns a passive ability to do so... DoubleSpeak, or what-have-you... he IS awesome after all. Since he's a skilled Vision mage too, he might be able to do both. Thinking he learns skills through using different Tomes/Tools. Low movement/speed.
...yeah.  He comes off as slow, frail, super-blasty mage with huge AoEs on his damage and debuffs(Don't forget, he has Resonance despair), but slow charge/recovery times.  Not much more that I can say on the matter.  Thinking Andy'd be better at detailing how/if he learns anything.

Nice to finally get some feedback there!

I can see where you're coming from on Noemi (the only assessment of yours I disagree with). However, I strongly feel that she should be a little more interesting than just 'Level up/Fast MP mage'. I mean, we can give her the coolest skillset ever, but that won't make this setup any less boring. At least give her some variety in which resources her skills work on. She's a progidy, she should be able to use a few different tricks.

Honestly, if Andy hadn't pigeonholed her into Vision magic from the get-go, I'd have imagined Noemi as the Blue Mage type learner with the intuitive control of magic and a few plot-learned special skills. We want our Main to stand out as interesting and worth using, though not necessarily overpowered.

Note that if you see Mirek as a cooldown-type fighter, then I'd like to see Isolde as the Limit Break fighter. They just strike me as good PCs to have opposite styles in this sense.

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2010, 04:21:47 AM »
Okay, mechanics idea. This governs entirely physical damage, I won't be talking about magic here except tangentially. I'm going to have math in here, but also describe how the formulas will affect things qualitatively and why I am putting things forward they way I am. Also I am going to wall of text here. The important stuff is in bold.

I mentioned already that weapons should specialise in overcoming defence and/or having a high multiplier (via swings). Here's how I see it working:

First of all, we create a stat called Agility. (it can have another name, or could even overlap with another stat; the concept is what matters) Agility represents two things: your ability to swing multiple times, and your ability to avoid being swung at multiple times. Basically how fast you are in close combat (rather than how fast you get turns). In theory this can be split up into offensive agility and defensive agility but I consider that unnecessary because we can (and will!) modify offensive agility with weapons.

When you attack an enemy, your agility is compared to theirs. If your agility is less than the enemy's you swing once. If it's greater than or equal, twice. From there on, you can additional swings if you beat the enemy's agility badly:

3 swings if your Agl > 125% of target Agl
4 swings if your Agl > 150% of target Agl
5 swings if your Agl > 175% of target Agl
And so on, possibly until some cap to prevent 100 swings if your agile fighter faces an earlygame slime or something.

Now, to prevent 1 swing (i.e. the only attack a low Agl fighter is going to get, most likely) from being too weak, all the swings except the first do half damage compared to the first. It makes sense, those added blows you land don't hit with the same force as the opener.

Weapons of course modify attacking agility. They work as multipliers, which exaggerates the existing Agl differences of PCs. Because of this, low Agl PCs will usually do better with low-swing weapons, while high Agl PCs will usually do better with high-swing weapons, which makes sense - the slow, lumbering tank is going to get better money out of a warhammer while the speed demon will get more out of knives, and so on.

To illustrate this, here's an example of how this will work. You have three PCs, with Agl stats as follows: Noemi with 29 Agl, Mirek with 21 Agl, and Isolde with 15 Agl (example may not reflect the real stats of these PCs, obviously). And you have three weapon choices:

-A warhammer that does 180 damage with one swing, and an Agl multiplier of 70%
-A sword that does 150 damage with one swing, and an Agl multiplier of 100%
-A dagger that does 100 damage with one swing, and an Agl multiplier of 140%

We're facing off against a goomba with 20 Agility. Using the mechanics as I've set forward...

Isolde's options:
-Warhammer for 15x0.7 = 10 Agl, swings once for 180
-Sword for 15x1 = 15 Agl, swings once for 150
-Dagger for 15x1.4 = 21 Agl, which beats the Goomba's and swings twice for 100 + 50 = 150

Warhammer is the best option.

Mirek's options:
-Warhammer for 21x0.7 = 14 Agl, swings once for 180
-Sword for 21x1 = 21 Agl, swings twice for 150 + 75 = 225
-Dagger for 21x1.4 = 29, swings three times (beats Goomba Agl x 1.25) for 100 + 50 + 50 = 200

Sword is the best option.

Noemi's options:
-Warhammer for 29x0.7 = 20, swings twice for 180 + 90 = 270
-Sword for 29x1, swings three times for 150 + 75 + 75 = 300
-Dagger for 29x1.4 = 40 Agl, swings six times (beats Goomba Agl x 2) for 100 + 50 + 50 + 50 + 50 + 50 = 350

Dagger is the best option.

Hopefully this illustrates the system at work. Of course, to avoid Noemi destroying Isolde for damage, we give the PCs different strength stats, which will multiply damage dealt. If Isolde has double the Strength multiplier of Noemi she'll do more damage, for instance. More on that later.

Noowww, if this were all to the system, then each PC would just choose the obvious weapon after doing the math above and we'd be done. This would be lame. The point of the weapons isn't just who uses them well (especially since each PC will only have limited options, though hopefully more than one!), but it's how well each weapon, and hence each fighting style, works against different enemies.

-High power weapons do well against high Def. Knicking a heavilly armoured enemy repeatedly with a dagger probably won't do much, but the hammer won't be slowed down as much.
-Weapons which only swing once aren't bothered by enemies with high Agl. Oh no, my hammer goes from swinging once to swinging once. Meanwhile, the 6 swings Noemi got against a goomba? That's dropping to 3 if she faces a SUPER GOOMBA with 30 Agl, which takes out just under half her damage.
-Okay, both of the above favour the heavy weapons. Does this mean the heavy weapons are always better against stronger enemies? No. Think about it: would you want to hit a dodgy enemy with a hammer? Probably not. Now, a knife fighter? She might have a better shot. So, generally speaking, high power, low-swing weapons will tend to have lower accuracy. Accuracy won't matter much against an unevasive target, but it sure will against the evasive. I don't have an accuracy formula for this but FFX is an extreme example of this at work.
-The exception to the above rule will be ranged weapons, which will likely tend to be high-power, low-swing, but high-accuracy. That crossbow is only hitting once, ever (Agl multiplier of 0!) but hits things fine.

So, back to illustrations, since I love them. Consider the following enemy types, and observe which weapons might work best.

-An average soldier, like the goomba above. Averagish on all ways defensive. Each character wants the type of weapon which fits her stats best. We already discussed this situation.

-A heavilly armoured, slow-moving tank in plate mail. Bad evade, bad Agl, awesome Def. Daggers are practically tinking (even if they hit 8 times), while the hammer? Sure, it's taking a damage reduction from the armour Def, but not nearly as much as one... and it may even swing twice, unlike normal, which means it isn't taking a damage cut at all most likely. Characters will want to switch to high-power weapons to do well here.

-A balanced defensive fighter, like your stereotypical paladin with chain mail and a shield. The shield gives him solid evade (hoses hammers), and he has solid Def (hoses daggers). If neither stat is extreme, the sword may sneak up the middle and be the best. Or we're falling back on magic here.

-A combat mage armed with a buckler, with poor Def, good evade, and mediocre Agl. Dagger wins, should be obvious by now why. Go go light, accurate weapons.

-A lightly-armoured, lightning quick whirling dervish. Lots of Agl, lots of evade, bad Def. What weapon works well here? Not the hammer, good luck hitting. Not the knife... it'll hit, but with that Agl, probably not more than once or twice, which destroys its damage. Solution? Indiana Jones had the right idea. Just shoot the bastard. High accuracy, isn't losing any swings, leading to nice, reliable damage. He can't dodge or dance out of the way of that.

So, wrapping this up, damage formula time. Now, I already mentioned Strength is going to be a multiplier. I haven't yet justified why, so here goes: in order to not have a completely overpowered attaker, Strength and Agility will generally need to not both be too high on the same PC... in fact, for attackers of equal competence, the two need to be in opposition. Thus, since high Agl characters like knives, and high Agl characters tend to have lower Strength, it follows that knife users tend to have lower Strength. However, if we ADD the weapon power of knives to said Strength, then it's going to be pretty bad at overcoming defence compared to the same knife in the hands of someone with high Strength, which will lead to the high Strength character being better with knives against higher Def enemies. This is bad. To avoid this situation which I find wholly unintuitive, we make Strength a multiplier. Strength doesn't help you break defence, it just helps you do more damage. Even someone muscular isn't going to be damaging a giant armoured crab much with a slim knife. Now, if it were a masterwork, resonance-forged knife, then maybe... but that's represented via higher weapon power, again emphasising that weapon power overcomes defence. Thus!

Damage formula = Strength * (Weapon Power*A - Defence*B) * (Number of Swings + 1) / 2 * C

We can call Strength something else if we like, same with Agility. A, B, and C are arbitrary constants to make the formula work. They ALSO may represent buffs, skills, and other effects. Stuff like elemental defence probably goes where C is in the formula, A might be something like a proficiency bonus with a certain weapon, etc.

Passive skills can have a number of effects, here. Some examples off the top of my head:

-Quick shot: Allows a character a second hit with a bow.
-Defensive mobility: Provides a 25% bonus to Agility when attempting to avoid enemy attacks
-Freak strength: 25% bonus to weapon power (allowing the character to better overcome Def because he hits just that hard... maybe he can take down a giant enemy crab with a knife)
-Stunning blow: The shock of your attack multiplies the target's Def by 25%, making its armour nearly useless

Active skills, on the other hand? May increase the multiplier of your damage (C) or they may help you overcome Def better (A). They may or may not change your number of swings (down to 1, or a boost, or anything in between). Depends on the skill. We really have a lot of flexibility for different attack skills with this system... and that's without bringing magic and half-magic attacks into things!

You get the picture. Anyway, this is what I'm proposing.

Finally, criticals. This is somewhat unrelated, so it gets to be a footnote, but I thought of it as well. Criticals should overwhelm (ignore?) defence against human targets since their armour has weak points, but possibly not creatures lack weaknesses (golems, possibly, maybe some rare monsters). Suikoden 3 basically did this, but it is a good idea and we should rip it off. Either way they should probably have a damage boost to final damage of 1.5 or something (boosted by some skills).

Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2010, 04:51:03 AM »
My, you -do- present your ideas well.

I like your proposal for Agility/Multiple swings. I'd like to see this kept no matter how we implement our damage formula.

My only concern is that you've tied everything to Weapon Power in your formula and now that means we're looking at very different values for basic physical attacks versus skills.

I like the flexibility of your formula, but I'd prefer to be able to look at one stat 'ATK' and have a rough idea of basic damage. Weapon Power being directly in opposition to Defense really inflates the importance of weapons (Your mileage may vary on whether that's good thing or not, though). But the problem I have with that is that it really separates weapon power from strength. Weapon's don't boost STR, they -are- strength. It's not a horrible way to look at it, but it does imply that a character without a weapon does negative/zero damage. Bothers me a bit.

For crits... I'm fine with something as simple as... if CRT=25(%), then the character deals 2x damage every 4 turns.

Dark Holy Elf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2010, 05:07:52 AM »
Djinn: The problem with not separating them is that it means that high-swing weapons WILL be better in the hands of people with high Strength, which... seems like the opposite of what we want (big barbarian is better with a knife, skinny rogue is better with an axe? Really?). I don't really see how to correct this without separating the two. Moreover I don't really see the downside of separating the two. Sharp or powerful weapons break armour better, while strength (we can call it ATK if you'd rather) represents your ability to use said weapon to cause damage, by inflicting blows in more precise places. Now that I think about it Strength really isn't a good name for the stat.

Maybe.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2010, 05:16:53 AM »
Damage formula = Strength * (Weapon Power*A - Defence*B) * (Number of Swings + 1) / 2 * C

This is actually a modified version of what Final Fantasy 12 did, I believe, just with multiple swings being based on a stat (and the formula being a lot simpler).

Anyway, not bothering to quote the whole post, but I definitely do like the idea.  Do think skills should modify both A and C on a regular basis to allow for different levels of defense pentration.  I do kind of think there should be an opposite stat to Strength (Vitality?) that works as a divisor on this thing.  The character's body's innate resistance to damage if you want flavor behind it.  I dunno, just feels weird to have two offense stats and only one defense stat.

If you want another name for this "Agility", we could use Dexterity.  Makes some sense and isn't confused with an actual speed stat.

Finally, criticals. This is somewhat unrelated, so it gets to be a footnote, but I thought of it as well. Criticals should overwhelm (ignore?) defence against human targets since their armour has weak points, but possibly not creatures lack weaknesses (golems, possibly, maybe some rare monsters). Suikoden 3 basically did this, but it is a good idea and we should rip it off. Either way they should probably have a damage boost to final damage of 1.5 or something (boosted by some skills).

I dunno, I'd kind of kneejerk monsters having weakpoints too, and am mostly against changing the behavior of crits depending on type of target.  I also don't think crits should IGNORE defense (I've always found that kind of annoying).  How about multiply defense by 0.5 or something on a crit (along with the final 1.5 mult)?  Constant subject to argument, of course.

For crits... I'm fine with something as simple as... if CRT=25(%), then the character deals 2x damage every 4 turns.

fffffffffffffffff

25% means the character has 25% chance of criticalling.  Not that they critical every 4 turns.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2010, 05:22:10 AM »

fffffffffffffffff

25% means the character has 25% chance of criticalling.  Not that they critical every 4 turns.

Yes... I'm aware of that. Sorry for writing it like that, I didn't mean to cause confusion. The point of that line was the Damage x2 (after all of the other calculations) part. Add an 'about' in front of the '4 turns' and then we have no problems, right?