Author Topic: VALIANT HERO Mafia! [World is Saved]  (Read 59523 times)

Bardiche

Re: VALIANT HERO Mafia! [Day Six]
« Reply #600 on: February 27, 2010, 07:10:13 PM »
Information baiting? Asking why Smax revealed he only had one shot of self-protection and who the other person Hazel saw was?

The former was because it genuinely looked to me like TMI because scum'd kill him then knowing he had no self-prot, HAzel was because he said he was 100% sure of who the Doc was so I was curious what made him feel that way when someone else acted on Smax, too.

When Smax said he was the Doc, it confused me how Hazel knew despite that mystery third person that Smax was the doc.

NINJA KILGA:
WHAT! Roukanken was Gordon? Uh, wow, that... is hard to swallow. What the hell is up with that, Rou? I absolutely wouldn't have been able to tell at all.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #601 on: February 27, 2010, 07:14:05 PM »
I assumed Cid mentioned the one-shot thing as a gambit and that he could really self-protect at any time and just wanted to see if he could bait a second kill.

Turns out I was only half-right!

Speaking of Roukan, I believe he actually guessed me too, now that I think back on it. I misguessed him (as Almaz, actually) which was stupid because Gordon dropped a T_T on Day 2 or 3 and that should've clued me in instantly.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 27, 2010, 07:17:26 PM »
Kilga: You screamed cop to me when you instantly voteflipped on planet in day two. Other than that, well played game.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 27, 2010, 07:37:16 PM »
My mentality this game was "hmm, I picked a character from a literary classic, I think I can do a passable Alex, he told me I was sort of acting like him in Villains, let's see how many people I can fool" and everyone that I've seen speak up about it was indeed tricked except for Yakumo. Even Sopko, who can read me like crazy for some reason, had me down correctly but later switched. I consider this a personal victory alongside the team one.

Uhwut? I didn't even guess anything for this game aside from pretending I was in it in chat. I barely paid attention...

EDIT: Except thinking that Snowfire was Hiro. That was about it.

Roukanken

• Oh hey look I finally have an avatar
  • Denizen
  • About damn time, too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 27, 2010, 07:46:03 PM »
I got Kilga as Hazel based on general attitude, insistence on consise posts, and 'I make no apologies for conviction' sounds VERY Kilga.

Only after I made that guess to you did I realise your rise in activity coincided with your death in Mai-Hime and 'Oh wait, Hazel and Reisen are both rabbits. Damn.'

I was clueless about pretty much anyone else. I actually guessed the Almaz was UK, which was...yeah. >_>
<@Tanaka> You just have this aura in mafia that reminds me of a big eyed cute innocent puppy

Bardiche

« Reply #605 on: February 27, 2010, 07:46:55 PM »
In other words I pretty much lost the game.

Uh, wow, Rou. I'm going to weep a little now. ;_;

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 27, 2010, 07:48:40 PM »
Apologies to town for a crappy game on my end.  But...  not really for the Day 4 disappearance.  I thought there was 72 hours in the day, and wanted to sleep/check out some of the Olympics before they ended.  So, when I sat down to start contributing, I was a little stunned to find out that the day was over.  My being dead was slightly more predictable.

Then again, all things considered, I was toast the moment Comedian swapped out anyways, so whatever.

General Kudos to Cid and Tai, you guys played awesome.  Mage too, since your inability to play well has...  well, always baffled me.

However, I want to really thank Gate, Roukanken, and, apparently, Snowfire.  The RP you guys tossed out really helped make this game fun and keep my interest in it.  Just wish I had been around more often in order to do the night time duels with you, Gate.  Finally, thanks Yoshi as well.

Setup seemed a little bit town slanted, but I haven't looked too closely yet, and honestly, the Scum really did catch some really unlucky breaks on days 1/2, before getting day 3 and 4 going in their favour, but...  not really enough to make up for losing two power roles, not hitting any town power roles (even on lynches) and then get blocked twice.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 27, 2010, 09:04:40 PM »
Thanks for posting the character list, Kilga. I was out today and asleep really early yesterday, so... yeah.

Ignoring the odd failure here and there and some 'slight' unbalance, didn't go too badly? I'd feel sorry for screwing over scum with the roles, but... the first two days really closed the case on that one.

My favourite things from this game:
1. The songs. Seriously, of all the Mafia games I've ever seen, this has to be the most fun one to read. Gate, Excal, Snowfire, you guys were awesome. (And thanks to Snowfire for co-modding!)
2. The roleplay. Even of some characters I didn't know! Mage and Tai stood out primarily here, so congrats.
Playing lazy is pretty sensical if you know you can be confirmed not that I would do anything like that if I were in the same position or anything.
4. Carthrat is identified as Saber by Cid before making a single post. More people thought Ciato was Flay than got it right.

Anyways, hope it was all good~

Oh yeah! Town MVP is actually close for me, since Cid hit the two saves, but Mage and Tai seemed to do better in the post content. Leaning towards Tai of the three, but all were awesome.
Scum MVP is definitely Gate, although occasionally at the price of an ally. Some of scum chat was quite funny in this sense, just noting the copious amounts of head-desking. ^^'

Idly, the roles were randomly picked, which makes the Prinny, Dark Hero and anti-hero as scum and Hilda as the undead one even better.
Oh, and last point? Setup was definitely unbalanced, yeah. Town also had a Ghostwriter who didn't die in Hilda.

Taishyr

« Reply #608 on: February 27, 2010, 09:31:35 PM »
I think I did pretty okay for the time I was alive, got killed because I sounded like a cop and Gate knows me well enough to know that a power role Tai can be scary.

Cid is my nom, though, with Mage a close second. Mage managed to save a very painful and probable mislynch, not just by mason-claim but by pretty much being so convincing as town that no one was willing to consider it a scumploy (as I'm not sure -anyone- would have been against a Tick lynch D2 or later otherwise.); Cid got two doccings and had me convinced from D1 he was town, tho. Town played pretty decently overall here anyway, even before powerrole jagsiw puzzles, so props there.

Also mad props to Gate, very very few people suspected you until you were throwing in the towel in effect and even then none of them could substantiate it. I know I had you pegged as very likely town for a while. Too bad you keep getting scumroles. :/

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 27, 2010, 09:51:30 PM »
Yeah, Yoshi.  The night phases were so much fun, I'm considering handing out anonyroles in my non-anonymous game so that people can do that whole RP fun thing at night without necessarily revealing who they are.

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 27, 2010, 11:34:21 PM »
Random comment: In anonymafia, if someone is being replaced, is it really necessary to tell everyone?
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 28, 2010, 12:03:44 AM »
Hmm. Didn't really think about it, but I guess not? I'd not say it makes a difference around here now, though, considering the last two replacements have been for scum. Don't think they really change things at all, so no harm in mentioning it.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 28, 2010, 01:22:13 AM »
I apologize to town for my fail performance day 1, I was both sick and entertaining, so my flounce was genuine, since I didn't think a replacement was fair being at L-2 with an hour or two to go.

However, on day two, I came back invigorated, with a sharper perspective. Why?

Because you no longer had to deal with me alone- You dealt with the Mad Aielman!

...Yeah, Me and super sort of teamed up a bit in terms of talking things out, sharing insights. He helped me craft the case on Planet and Kirk.  I honestly thought I had Kirk pegged. I apologize for using the timezone argument- I know one of the frustrating things about Mafia is having to sometimes practically obsess over it to keep up. Like I said, the argument was inconclusive, and I felt kind of bad about it after the fact.

But yeah, that explains my change in demeanor a bit. Beware the SuperFnorder!

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 28, 2010, 02:16:45 AM »
Personally think Flay/Hiro deserve most of the credit for pushing through the day 1/2 lynches. I figure scum morale was pretty much trashed after that. I know town felt very unfocused after Hiro died and I was starting to get worried after Kirk flipped town that there was scum hiding in one of the players I'd taken for granted (and yep, there was). Honestly don't think I did a heckuva lot apart from night actions. The only scum cases I got on were ones other people had started. I mean, sure, I was onto Planet early, but I did almost nothing to convince people about him and that's half the battle (yes the other half of the battle is knowing; it's a shame there were no G.I. Joes here). Other stuffs:

-Didn't call most of the player identities correctly. Just got the blatantly obvious ones (Tai, Rat, Ciato). And no, Kilga, I didn't think you were Alex. Know who else I didn't think was Alex? BATMANUEL.

-Sad that so many people guessed who I was, but I did totally fall out of character on day 3. Partly due to day 3 just dragging on and on, partly due to exhaustion from trying to follow two games, partly because Smax is more of a jerk than I can really be without a heckuva lot of effort.

-Setup was definitely town-slanted but this only partially contributed to the town victory. Strong town play from several people, mostly inexperienced scum players, scum getting their power roles lynched the first two days, incredibly bad luck with night actions and mislynches (they only ever hit vanilla town. Well, night five, but). Almost everything that could go wrong for them did.

-Props to Glen for filling in for the Comedian. Just ow, taking up the role of most suspected player in the game.

-My reason for making the full claim was exactly as stated in-game. Didn't want people going, "Wait, self-protecting doc is too broken. He must be lying." Though it occurred to me that, given Hazel's claim, we couldn't really lose any more even if I died. I prevent Hazel from dying, Hazel watches me in case someone kills me. Didn't want to say it out loud because why tell scum exactly what you're doing, but I was kinda assuming I would die night five and Hazel would see who did it. Barring a LYLO situation with the two of us and Axel, it was only a matter of time before the final scum got noticed through night actions.

-Tom was incredibly lucky that he was a mason. He totally would've been the day 2 lynch otherwise. Heck, part of the motivation for self-protection night 4 was that Tick's whole "Oops I just accidentally hammered a townie" blunder at the end of day 4 made me worry people were going to start wondering about scum Flay/Tick again and I wanted to be sure I was around to stomp on that shit like it was a rabid goomba. Otherwise it was mostly just a process of elimination: I figured they would assume the doc was sitting on Flay and not try him again, killing Tick would be pointless because he didn't contribute a whole lot (sorry, Tom!) and his flip would only confirm Flay for everyone to see, Almaz/Gordon/Bats/Comedian would likely be saved for mislynches later if they weren't actually scum...so it was one of Hazel/Hilda/Axel/me. 25% chance of dying wasn't encouraging odds when I wanted to make sure I was around to at some point to confirm Flay's alignment via night 3 actions.

-I wanted an excuse to claim day five even before Hazel gave me a better reason. I was worried about getting NK'd without the ability to self-protect again, and if that happened then some scum player could see the flip and go, "Oh yeah, he prevented me from getting killed night 4," and get away with it. (Not that they could have because, y'know, Hazel, but I didn't know that at the start of the day.)

-The crazy thing about night 4? It could easily have not happened. I sent in my night action PM for night 2 to Yoshi just as the day ended; when I woke up for work the next morning and checked on the topic I saw the "Where's the doc--he's gone" or whatever line in Axel's flavor post, spazzed out and went all SCUM GOING TO KILL ME and sent in a PM to revise my night action to self-protection. Yoshi had already sent out PMs for people's night action results, though, and couldn't change it. Good thing, obviously, especially since it occurred to me five minutes later when I was on the road how dumb that was on my part (scum wouldn't announce who they were killing in a flavor post, seriously. This is why important decisions should not be made at 6AM). Was very relieved when I got home to see that my one shot of self-protection didn't get wasted by a sudden attack of paranoia.

-Read Top Ten, you mooks.

Taishyr

« Reply #614 on: February 28, 2010, 02:37:32 AM »
Hah.

Day one I was just staring at the screen end of the day, praying that I was right on Prinny and right in trying to convince Middeman to swap - if Prinny flipped town, yeah, that entire interaction would've caused a massive shitstorm with me/Middleman that... likely would've muddied the game up for a long while. Fortunately, we grabbed him there, which helped set the pace.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: February 28, 2010, 03:18:24 AM »
I am just smugly satisfied about being the person on the Comedian train first. Oh come on guys~ Lynch lynch lynch~

Otherwise I was really really wrong on Hazel/Almaz but eh that's life.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 28, 2010, 05:31:26 AM »
I must give mad(ly bitter) props to Hazel and Almaz for having what is, by far, the largest and most disturbing (as in it disturbed the game itself) spat I have ever seen. Probably in my life. That was quite an impressive argument. Or, at the very least, it seemed that large to me.

Still cursing the lack of having my flavour kill, but the Prinny flip did make me feel very nice.

Props to Axel for being very town--if it hadn't been for roleclaims, you easily would've made it quite far--and to Smax and Hiro for awesome play. Especially the double-doc'ing. I'd say that was town MVP.
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #617 on: February 28, 2010, 06:02:08 AM »
One of my many Mafia failings is that I get really flustered when cases I believe should be self-evident (such as the case revolving around Bard's Day 2 End shenanigans - I stand by every single thing I ever said about that post and hope no one ever posts a plan like that again) don't take with anyone. (Mage did admittedly consider it momentarily but that was it.) It didn't help that the whole thing got thrown back in my face with charges of attitude problems and tunnel vision while no one explained what was wrong with the case itself. I don't get the whole tunnel vision accusation anyway, I'm not going to stop pursuing someone just because they put up any ol' defense unless the defense is convincing enough to make me think I might be wrong, and no one provided a defense of that post even remotely close to convincing.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 28, 2010, 06:28:07 AM »
Heh.  For the record I wasn't in on players / roles at all (aside from there being no votecounting roles so as to be able to votecount properly), and...  I was actually pretty horrible at figuring out who was what.  Hazel I thought was either Alex or Kilga, but when Kilga used the "SO" Alexism later, I took the bait.  I also assumed that Flay was Ciato at first, because, well.  Eventually figured out it was Hilda after "Alchemy Man" stepped in (okay, and also chatting with her on IRC).  Bardiche as Almaz was the only one I nailed, and I guess I had a vague Tom feel off the Tick.  (Didn't actually send in official guesses, so.)  Feel embarrassed I didn't get El Cideon for Smax, should have remembered that he ran an "obscure comic book characters you have never heard of" game of mafia.

On an RP note, nice job to everyone.  I found Excal's Kirk especially hilarious - definitely nailed a lot of the Kirk feel (An X, what used to be called a roleclaim!").  Taishyr's Hiro was also great, glad someone had the good taste to pick the proper Hiro.  (As for me, I was *completely shocked* that no Final Fantasy characters had been picked.  Figured that needed to be remedied after Yoshi approached me about the votecounting issue.)

Definitely agree that the setup was a bit town-slanted.  Silencer is an...  annoying power, but not actually tremendously powerful.  Especially with a town watcher in the game.  (Probably for the best it got killed, anyway, the role-play looked fun and Silencing is bad for activity.)  And also agree that while scum could have used another role, it ultimately wouldn't have mattered too much due to just too many people becoming basically confirmed town.

Good game, it was quite amusing to watch.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 28, 2010, 06:33:54 AM »
Given how scum has such a high win record I'd say more games could probably afford to be a bit more "town-biased". I agree that this game was probably too town-biased but don't think it's by as much as a lot of people think, the bigger reason town won was just the quick nailing of two scum combined with some good fortune with doc'ing. Honestly if that occurs and town still loses then town either has to seriously screw up or the game is distinctly pro-scum.

Very fun game overall otherwise, one of the best the DL has had IMO. Also, Snowfire, for the FF8 stuff? Die. :)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Bardiche

« Reply #620 on: February 28, 2010, 10:05:35 AM »
I must give mad(ly bitter) props to Hazel and Almaz for having what is, by far, the largest and most disturbing (as in it disturbed the game itself) spat I have ever seen. Probably in my life. That was quite an impressive argument. Or, at the very least, it seemed that large to me.

Was it?

One of my many Mafia failings is that I get really flustered when cases I believe should be self-evident (such as the case revolving around Bard's Day 2 End shenanigans - I stand by every single thing I ever said about that post and hope no one ever posts a plan like that again) don't take with anyone.

That's how I felt with Gordon. I stand by that his Day 2 End shenanigans were absolutely awful and that his Day 1 "you should all jump on Middleman" was equally awful but what can you do. :) I'll make note to hide thoughts from posts in the future to avoid this sort of unintended trap.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 28, 2010, 11:42:18 AM »
A bit of imbalance is a good thing from time to time, since it stops some setup meta based on what would be 'fair' or not. From what I recall Yosh telling me, though... 2 masons, doc, tracker, watcher, vs. scum with nothing, right? Yeesh.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 28, 2010, 12:08:49 PM »
Hey, scum had their roles, they just lost them in two days!

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
Re: VALIANT HERO Mafia! [World is Saved]
« Reply #623 on: February 28, 2010, 01:08:58 PM »
Yeah I played kinda lazy, being a self confirming townsman does that to you.
I'm not unhappy about my play though, I believe I contributed significantly to the D1 Prinny lynch (until I weighed in it was just Flay v Prinny), and I was the first on on CP (again D1).
After that my scumdar ran out of batteries, yes.

The D4 hammer was accidental, but there was only 13 minutes left until time anyway. I woke up early that morning and was half asleep, and thought it was still L-2 for some reason.
It happens to the best of us! >.>
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: VALIANT HERO Mafia! [World is Saved]
« Reply #624 on: February 28, 2010, 01:19:33 PM »
The roles... lacked presence. Rolecop's not bad, but silencer's nothing special- you need stuff like, I dunno- bus driver, roleblocker, etc- stuff that allows scum to screw with town beyond the kill if you're gonna load town up with roles like that.