Register

Author Topic: Fast-food rankings!  (Read 18387 times)

Bobbin Cranbud

• Denizen
    • View Profile
    • The Writing of Joshua Cole
Re: Fast-food rankings!
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2010, 04:29:59 AM »
A subject dear to my heart!

McDonalds
This is a tough one to rate.
On the one hand, their chicken stuff is excellent - usually.  Chicken McNuggets are one of the best non-desert guilty pleasure foods in the world, Chicken Selects are actually genuinely pretty good.  Admittedly, the quality varies, but it's usually quite high.  Their drinks are also superb; compared to other fast food pop, or even canned pop, they're mind-blowingly concentrated.  It's like drinking pure syrup, especially the Mr. Pibb.
On the other hand, most of their food is shit.  Their regular burgers are tiny, odd-tasting and unsatisfying.  Their larger burgers are all specialty types, which means a bunch of crap I won't eat.  Their fries are just awful, but that's nothing unusual for fast food.  Their milk shakes are kind of unexciting, but the strength of their pop (and coffee) makes up for this.
On the gripping hand, their breakfasts are top of the line.  Sausage biscuits (with or without egg) and McGriddles are both excellent (the latter is even fairly consistent!), and McCafe is surprisingly good.
Let's go with...
McDonalds also seems a little pricey for what you get, at least during the day.  (Sausage biscuits are nice and cheap, so the breakfast dodges the expensive moniker.)
McDonalds: 7/10

Burger King
Pretty much the exact opposite of McDonalds.  Most of their non-burger stuff is crap, but on a typical day their burgers are crisply grilled and flavorful.  Their dollar menu seems more robust than McDonald's to me - at least, the Whopper Jr. is a good deal.
Still, it's hard to get excited about a place that does basically one thing that's good when none of the rest - fries, chicken products, breakfast, drinks - is even tolerable.  Besides, I also hate sesame seeds; admittedly, I don't mind one-bunning a burger.
The way I eat there, a great place for dieting.
Burger King: 5/10

Wendys
Inconsistent.
Especially when it comes to fries, when they're good, they're actually GOOD (whereas most fast food fries at best aspire to "edible"), but when they're bad they're horrid.  And they're only good one time in five.  On the plus side, they have a neat menu - chili, for instance, makes this a destination more people are willing to go to.
Burgers are ok, nothing else is much good.
Wendy's: 5/10

Hardee's/Carl Jr.
The rating here is HEAVILY dependent on whether I'm paying or not. :)
Carl's is ruinously, ridiculously expensive for a fast food place, to the point I'm left wondering why I don't go to a sit down restaurant instead.
The flip side to that is, they're largely worth it.  The burgers are ok, the fries have a high ceiling (and a low bottom, but that's to be expected).  The fish, however, is surprisingly succulent - arguably as good as a dedicated fish joint, and I love good battered fish.  With that said, I've had some really BAD fish from Carl's, and bad fish is worse than most bad food just as good fish is better than most good food.
The tipping point for me is that their milk shakes are simply the best in the business; no other fast food place comes within spitting distance, and in fact I've never had a better shake home-made or at a sit down restaurant.  They are a princely drink, and you pay a princely sum for the pleasure of them.
Carl's: 8/10

Arby's
The good: When their sandwiches and fries are hot and fresh, they represent the best entree available at a non-fish, non-pizza fast food restaurant.
You can probably guess the bad: they rarely ARE hot and fresh.
Arby's also takes a hit for being as or more expensive than Carl's, without delivering a higher caliber meal on a (fairly) consistent basis.
Arby's: 5/10
Read my webnovel, Eye Opener, now available on RoyalRoad.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2010, 06:39:27 AM »
I'm going to update tomorrow night or Tuesday, I want to keep this fast moving. Vote now!
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2010, 07:19:33 AM »
McDonalds 6/10 - meh.

Burger King 6/10 - meh.

Wendys 8/10 - love that spicy chicken.  my preferred fast food sandwich forever.  only giving them 8 because, y'know, fast food.

Hardee's/Carl Jr. - are what, exactly?

Arby's 4/10 - mostly because I'm only ever there at pit stops on overnight busrides.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2010, 08:06:09 AM »
I do believe this picture is appropriate for the topic:

<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
Thank you, Tide, that was awesome.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 12:45:24 AM »
Updating.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 01:04:44 AM »
Results!

McDonalds: 4.88, 18 votes.
Burger King: 4.25, 16 votes.
Wendys: 5.41, 17 votes.
Hardee's/Carl Jr: 5.00, 8 votes.
Arby's: 4.35, 14 votes.

Full rankings:

1. Wendys: 5.41, 17 votes.
2. Hardee's/Carl Jr: 5.00, 8 votes.
3. McDonalds: 4.88, 18 votes.
4. Arby's: 4.35, 14 votes.
5. Burger King: 4.25, 16 votes.

----

Despite some negative feedback, Wendy's took the round. I blame it on the haters giving Wendys less negative(not 0) votes than the haters of the other places gave out. Anyway, round 2 for you freaks:

Taco Bell
A&W
Dairy Queen
Checkers/Rally's
Long John Silver's

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2010, 01:08:58 AM »
Taco Bell: 10/10: Guilty pleasure? Taco Bell. I just love them. The plain tacos are cheap and good filler, the more expensive items are tasty as hell in a junk food way.
A&W: 4/10: So-so, but I dig the cheese curds every once in a great while.
Dairy Queen: 5/10: Eh, ice cream. Good when I want bubbly soft ice cream, crap otherwise.
Checkers/Rally's: 9/10. Maybe it's because I only get them once in a blue moon, but they're always incredible. Great hamburgers, good fries and killer awesome milkshakes. Win.
Long John Silver's: 6/10. Good chicken but I don't like fish, so.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2010, 01:13:33 AM »
Taco Bell 5/10 okay but their meat is bland and they stopped having the Cheesy Gordita Crunch, which was the only thing I really liked.
A&W None around here
Dairy Queen 7/10 Good ice cream, their flamethrower burger is good for actual food, but they are pretty expensive at times
Checkers/Rally's who? 
Long John Silver's 7/10 Love their chicken, love hushpuppies, fish is tasty but gives me a blinding headache for some reason. Also expensive.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2010, 01:16:35 AM »
Taco Bell 4/10: I can stomach their food, but not a fan. I know some of my family can't stand them.
A&W 6/10 - They're alright. The rootbeer floats are decent enough, which gives them +1 point. Fairly average.
Dairy Queen 6/10 - Their chicken isn't bad, the ice cream is.. okay, everything else kinda sucks.
Checkers/Rally's - Never even heard of them.
Long John Silver's - Never eaten here before.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 01:17:59 AM »
Taco Bell: 7/10. Tasty, but always always always induces stomache distress. Cinnamon Twists are ^_^ though
A&W: 6/10. Nothing special, but they get a point for their floats being wonderful and their food generally not giving me problems.
Dairy Queen: 4/10. Despite liking thier ice cream, the food is bad enough to drop the score to negative. Also, have had sour/bad/spoiled/etc ice cream there one too many times.
Checkers/Rally's: Man, haven't been there in so long I couldn't rate it. I remember Rally's being good stuff though.
Long John Silver's: 0/10. Hey look it's a poison store.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 01:22:31 AM »
Taco Bell- 8/10.  Having to order everything sans sour cream is a hassle, but still a place I come back to a couple times a month.
A&W- I've been to one A&W ever.  I... don't think I ordered the right thing.  Still, ROOTBEER, so at least a 5/10.
Dairy Queen- I wish like hell I could find a Dairy Queen here.  The ice cream specials sound so goddamned good.
Checkers/Rally's- I used to eat there semi-regular like 15 years ago.  Don't feel qualified to judge them now.
Long John Silver's- 7/10.  The chicken is excellent, hush puppies are pretty alright, being able to tack on extra shrimp/chicken planks for a buck or two is damned convenient.  Still, something I kinda have to be in the mood for.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2010, 01:24:44 AM »
Taco Bell- 8/10. I actually really like their quesadillas/tacos.
A&W- 7/10. Tasty but expensive. Root beer ain't my thing.
Dairy Queen- 3/10. All three points come from their ice cream, because their food is just nasty.
Checkers/Rally's- Never seen one.
Long John Silver's- 10/10. Yessssssssssssss.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 01:42:10 AM »
Taco Bell 8/10- Demolition Man was easily the best product placement ever. I enjoy a gordita or chalupa every now and then, and Baja Blast Mountain Dew needs to not be TB exclusive. Otherwise more of a guilty pleasure than anything I frequent.
A&W 5/10- Only been to one so far. Average is average.
Dairy Queen - 6/10. Ice cream is good in a pinch. Dilly Bars are a nostalgic favorite. Regular food is servicable.
Checkers/Rally's - Haven't been to a Checkers yet. I want to though.
Long John Silver's - 6/10. Works for a fried food place, especially when one is paired with a Nathan's.

Taishyr

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2010, 01:44:02 AM »
Taco Bell - NA. Never... actually eaten at one, I think! Huh. How odd, there's a lot of them here, and even one on campus.
A&W - None around here.
Dairy Queen - 7/10. But I never get the non-ice cream stuff.
Checkers/Rally's - NA.
Long John Silver's - NA.

...wow.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2010, 01:51:55 AM »
Taco Bell - 0.  Horrible.  No reason to eat there whatsoever when you can get a better taco for the same price a bus stop away.  79 cent tacos lose their allure when $1 tacos are down the street and won't make you shit yourself later. EDIT: Also I can drink there.  But more seriously if you live in any of the states along the border there's no reason you should be eating at Taco Bell.  It's like going to Panda Express when you live in China.  Only with more diarrhea.  Have I mentioned that this place's food makes you shit yourself yet?  Pretty sure I haven't mentioned that this place makes you shit yourself.
A&W - The Rootbeer company?
Dairy Queen - 5.  Good ice cream.  I wasn't aware that people actually bought their other food.
Checkers/Rally's - Uh?
Long John Silver's - 0. blarghadiblargidty there's all that fried fish going down the toilet because I decided to eat fast food fish blarghhh
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:53:59 AM by Makkotah »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2010, 02:25:21 AM »
Taco Bell: ^?!) (That's a 6/10 for those of you that don't speak in sticky shift key): All I eat are the basic tacos but dammit do I like'em.
A&W: 3/10: Had once, don't really remember anything special.
Dairy Queen: 8/10 I FREAKING love Blizzards.  That's the 8 right there.  Nothing else matters.
Checkers/Rally's: 2/10 Their burgers always disintegrate within five minutes.  Not bad before they turn into liquid though.
Long John Silver's: 0/10 FISH

Bobbin Cranbud

• Denizen
    • View Profile
    • The Writing of Joshua Cole
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2010, 03:40:23 AM »
Taco Bell
Oh, very high!  I eat here a lot and the food is quite good.
The Pizza Hut Express food, I mean.  Love those breadsticks.  (Incidentally, is it a little-known law of physics that all pizza joints must have awesome breadsticks?)
It only seems fair to give the rating for that food to actual Pizza Hut, though, which just leaves the actual "Mexican" food at Taco Bell.  Now, first off, I don't like Mexican food (but do enjoy a good taco).  Second off, Taco Bell is a disgrace to a kind of food I already dislike.
So, yeah.
Taco Bell: 1/10

A&W
Root beer get!  Other than that, overly spiced, overly priced hamburgers and bland run-of-the-mill fries?  Not!Hebrew National hot dogs?  I don't recall them having anything I much like, and anyway the discerning customer can find better root beer elsewhere.
A&W: 3/10

Dairy Queen
Desert, whee!
Not as good as non-fast-food ice cream, but ice cream is ice cream and deserves props for that, if nothing else.  Sometimes I'm in the mood for a large chocolate cone dipped in chocolate, and Dairy Queen answers the call admirably.
I guess they serve food here, too?  But I wouldn't bother getting it.
Dairy Queen: 8/10

Checkers/Rally's
Don't know, don't have any near me.

Long John Silver's
Can I express my rating as a die roll?  1d6+4/10 or something?  Because fast food fish is always highly variable.
Nonetheless, I love battered fish in all its many forms, and while of old Long Johns delivered quality food only about half the time, it's been a couple of years since I got a bad batch.  When it's good, it's some of the best food you can get fast, and even when it's bad it's never so awful you can't slather malt vinegar on it and have a decent meal.
Long John Silver's: 8/10
Read my webnovel, Eye Opener, now available on RoyalRoad.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2010, 04:57:06 PM »
Whoops. Missed the original rankings. No-matter. It'd be more praise for Wendy's.

Taco Bell ~ 4/10.  Really, I wouldn't rate it THIS high even, but it is a place I'll eat at. It gets at least 2 points for saving my life with the Grande Meal.

A&W ~ 1/10 The one point is entirely for their delicious milk shakes. EVERY time I've eaten at A&W over the past 10 years, they have horribly burned my food, and the food of my friends. This includes a friend who ordered their FISH. A&W is the grossest of the gross.

Dairy Queen ~ 8/10 They'd get a 10, but I never actually have tried their food. Still, I go here more than once a week when it's open, because I cannot live without a regular intake of ice cream mixed with M&Ms.

Checkers/Rally's ~ Never eaten at one.

Long John Silver's ~ 10/10 I don't even eat fish. LJS has the best chicken in the world, and I have never seen a single place actually make chicken in the same way. It's tragic. I'd actually make this chicken MYSELF if I knew how.  Furthermore, they tend to give you these ridiculously good crumb things when you get your chicken, and it's a delicious guilty pleasure (if you're a pansy with SHAME) that's like 1000 times better than any chip or dry snack good.  Furthermore STILL, it has added breadsticks to its menu so you don't have to get those disgusting hush puppies anymore. YET FURTHERMORE I actually have eaten their (popcorn) shrimp, which, if you know my eating habits at all, this is a big damn deal. Honestly, I'd go to a LJS happily before many "traditional" restaurants.

Idun

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2010, 07:30:38 PM »
Taco Bell - 7/10. I don't really explore the menu, but I've never been dissatisfied for what I got plus the price. Stores vary, but fortunately the ones I go to are consistent with being less messy.
A&W - N/A. Wtf is this??

Dairy Queen - 0/10. UUUUUUUUUUUGH, I do not want to go into the weird tastes the food has. Blizzards are great, but not enough to even score it a point. I prefer Breuster's.

Checkers/Rally's - 5/10. When I want to feel fat, greasy and bloated, this is where I go. Every fry soaks grease into my mouth. A satisfying burp afterwards, but a misadventure when visiting the bathroom.

Long John Silver's - 0/10. F this S. Seriously, if I wanted to eat BREAD and less than a quarter of an inch of fish, I'd go here.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2010, 12:47:43 AM »

Round 1:

McDonalds-  3/10- Everything is greasy as hell and to be honest it forces me to do things in the restroom that I would love to never have to do.  I'd go with 1/10, but their fries are more delicious than just about any other fast food fries.  Dollar menu also blows.

Burger King- 4/10- Dollar menu is nonexistent from what I can remember, but those little mini burgers are pretty solid.  Overall the food doesn't make me as sick as McDonalds.

Wendys- 9/10- Awesome dollar menu.  Chicken Nuggets, Burgers, Cheese Burgers, Fries, Frosty.  This gives me loads of option and with 5 bucks you can get a pretty filling meal.  All tasty too!

Hardee's/Carl Jr. - 5/10- Some solid choices and definitely my choice over BK/McDonalds but not bad at all.

Arby's 8/10- In terms of taste Arbys is my favorite, but except when they have deals they are way too damn expensive.  If the roast beef were always 5 for 5 this would be a 10/10 easy.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2010, 10:16:38 AM »
Taco Bell 3/10 - Eh, guilty pleasure maybe sometimes but there's like one thing on the menu I'll eat.
A&W 9/10 - Man, if I still lived in Manistee I'd still be eating here all the time.  A shame that's the only place I know of that still has one of these.
Dairy Queen - 1/10 if we're just talking about the food and not the ice cream, since their ice cream stuff never really struck me as quite the same thing as fast food.
Checkers/Rally's - Never eaten at one.
Long John Silver's - I've only eaten at one, and that was in Guam and I hope the rest of them are not like that.  Going to abstain due to assuming they can't all be that bad when they aren't international.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »
Taco Bell - 8/10 - Well first of all, I haven't had enough stomach problems from 'em to drop their score for that. Second, I live in PA and have obviously never had a good taco. That all said the price/fillingness ratio is probably the best in the business if you want to eat cheap, and I love specialty burritos. Baja Blast is a whole point on its own.
A&W - Never had it.
Dairy Queen - 6/10 - Blizzards and Dilly Bars and good milkshake flavor variety. On the other hand, they have competent burgers and that's all they've got as far as real food.
Checkers/Rally's - Who what where when?
Long John Silver's - 6/10 - Five points for the chicken, one for the little packets of malt vinegar for the fries. The corn is soggy, the hush puppies bore me, and I'd rather get a fish sandwich from McDonald's or Sheetz than the damned place's specialty food.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2010, 08:39:33 PM »
Taco Bell: 5/10. It is okay. Is to Mexican food what McDonald's is to burgers. They taste fine, but I have much perferred options. Cheap, I guess?

A&W: N/A. Haven't had since I was a kid, so no memory.

Dairy Queen: N/A. Se A&W.

Checkers/Rally's: N/A. Don't even know what this is.

Long John Silver's: N/A. Never eaten here.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2010, 08:17:16 AM »
This closes tomorrow. Vote now!