Author Topic: A memes to an end(Meme Mafia: Game Over)  (Read 117647 times)

Halbarad

• Youkai of the Boundary
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: A memes to an end(Meme Mafia: Game Over)
« Reply #725 on: March 22, 2010, 01:31:31 AM »
Just to clarify the C-C-C-C issues from my end, I'd received (and experienced!) issues with the browser itself failing to render text at the end of the page due to the excessive image spam from the massive quotestring near the end of the day - this is why the quotes (and only the quotes) had the images removed. I'll agree that it was quite funny (and excellent strategy, scum-wise) to spam the thread and break up discussion that way, but if it comes to the point where the game becomes -literally- unplayable, it's excessive - and if you can't even read the thread, that counts.

Well played for scum, congrats.
- Have you ever contemplated suicide?
 - Frequently. But only for others.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 22, 2010, 01:34:24 AM »
Combo Breaker's last day play would have been unacceptable in any other mafia game, but this being the Meme Mafia made it a funny and flavor-fitting move, from this spectator's viewpoint.

EDIT: Spamspamspam is not a valid tactic to adopt into other mafia games, that's just being a dick. Just, yeah, flavor is perfect for it here.

This.  In a normal game I agree it would be anti-fun, but this was a game of memes INTERNET TROLLS use.  Trolling is just flavorful roleplay here.  I must admit, Sopko definitely threw himself into it with greater abandon than expected, but can't fault him too much.  Wall of derps FTW.

Tues Mar 9 2010 2:17pm [2:17pm] *SnowFire* May have been for the best anyway, woulda been tough for scum to recover from NK N1 + lynch D2.
Tues Mar 9 2010 2:17pm [2:17pm] *SnowFire* Although I will say there is a certain liberation from knowing you're getting lynched Day 3.  You can just troll town!
Tues Mar 9 2010 2:17pm [2:17pm] *SpectralSoppy* Like I'm posting Day 3
Tues Mar 9 2010 2:18pm [2:18pm] *SnowFire* You can at least post hilarious pictures of cats or something.
Tues Mar 9 2010 2:18pm [2:18pm] *SpectralSoppy* I think I'll just keep posting C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
Tues Mar 9 2010 2:19pm [2:19pm] *SnowFire* That works, too.

Yes. So blame Snowfire for really giving me the idea >.> <.< >.>

Anyway... so... troll-off, Haruhi vs Combo. Who's with me?

Li Syaoran

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 22, 2010, 01:42:44 AM »
All Your Base: Was surprised that AYB didn't...  well.  I won't spoil yet but I figured that once LYLO was announced he'd stir the pot a bit.  

I just about damn near lost it when 2G1C posted this:
Quote from: 2G1C
(there is -no- relevation, no determinant on any end that could change this outside of AYB suddenly spazzing out and admitting he's scum or something bizarre as hell)
Explanation: my role is not solely a Scum GF as I had told my buddies (except Kilga who I later clarified this to). Rather, I am a Scum GF/Delayed Jester Combo. I can win either as Scum, via the usual Scum win conditions, or I can win by myself as a Jester by first: A) Getting to LYLO, B) Getting myself lynched then. It is also possible for me to pull off a double win by winning as Jester, then having a buddy go on and win the game for Scum in the next LYLO.

My initial intent with this role was to pull off the double win. It certainly wouldn't have been hard to get lynched during D5 LYLO, all I really had to do was spaz out a bit and get 2G1C to suspect me instead, as both Astley and XBox 360 suspected me, for however questionable reasons ultimately, they did suspect me.

This plan basically fell apart after D3 when Demote managed to get a lucky scan on Touhou. I was basically expecting Touhou to get lynched very soon, and basically cut my losses and started playing exclusively towards a pure Scum win condition at this point.

(Incidentally, the fact that Touhou managed to do a fakeclaim, pull it off well, and survive to endgame deserves quite a bit of praise. I was seriously impressed by his play in this game and find it slightly aggravating that he could have still won the game if all he had done was sit back and twiddle his thumbs like everyone else in endgame except for 2G1C seemily did.)

I actually started to think about going for the double again yesterday, when 2G1C stated that he thought that Touhou was basically 100% cleared for him, but I decided against it as then Touhou would have to either NK someone or use the Jacket, not using the Jacket would have given him away as the killing power, not NKing someone would drag the game on yet one more day and basically guarantee a certain loss, not to mention both of us were starting to get a bit weary of this game and the amount of free time that I had to devote to this game had been steadily dwindling down into nothingness since about D2, with a momentary spike at D4 because it was the damn weekend.

That's not to say that we still couldn't do it, but the possibility was just vanishingly small and required far more effort than either of us could put in, not to mention that I'd feel bad making Touhou work even more after he managed to keep the Scum game together quite well in the face of the Soppy lynch followed by being tracked by Demote followed by ShikiShana's attack on him (which could have led to his lynch had ShikiShana played differently...my consolences to Rat though for whatever the IRL issues he had were, they had to have been pretty serious for his D4 play to play out like that).

Anyway, I had a lot of fun this game despite not being able to devote as much attention to it as I wanted to, great job Gatewalker on the setup, and good game to everyone. It was a wonderful time~

Oh, and Xanth, thank you for giving me the inspiration for this monstrosity:

As well as something I'm working on right now, EXTREME TWITTER, aka, interfacing Twitter to Advice Dog. Prinicpally going to feed it political wingnuts and paranoid conspiracy theorist nutjobs for maximal amounts of comedy once it's done :P
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 02:03:23 AM by All Your Base »

Helga Pataki

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 22, 2010, 01:45:24 AM »
AYB:

I blame latent psychic abilities as a result of my crippling migraines.

Taishyr

« Reply #729 on: March 22, 2010, 01:45:37 AM »
And yes, that is me. I did recover from the migraines around... Wednesday? But the week's been a crummy one for me. So.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 01:58:59 AM by Taitoro »

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 22, 2010, 01:55:59 AM »
What did everyone else think of the jacket? I'm trying to weigh it up in my head, and I'm falling towards it being too strong. Scum just had to keep on killing the person who had it (good catch on catching on to that while it was still with Commie).

Or, y'know, you can just not declare that you have the jacket.  Demote did not need to fullclaim.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 22, 2010, 02:17:03 AM »
What did everyone else think of the jacket? I'm trying to weigh it up in my head, and I'm falling towards it being too strong. Scum just had to keep on killing the person who had it (good catch on catching on to that while it was still with Commie).

Or, y'know, you can just not declare that you have the jacket.  Demote did not need to fullclaim.

Yeah. Demot claiming pretty much handed scum a gift.

We found out about the jacket Night 2, when I copblocked Soviet. We didn't know about the jacket until then, but we settled on copblocking Soviet since him claiming to get roleblocked would be a null at best compared to the rest of the candidates and we were curious about his role due to Day 1 shenanigans.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 22, 2010, 02:34:56 AM »
(side note: Russia's No Lynch + mass claim plan would have won the game for town, since we had basically no reasonable fakeclaims on our side)

Going back to address this...not necessarily.  Several people in Town had role restrictions that stopped them from fullclaiming.  If you claimed similar status, you'd be potentially alright.

(Which is to say, I assume Gate took precautions against mass roleclaim+nolynch, because yes: it is known to break role madness games).

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 22, 2010, 03:42:46 AM »

Damn it, I was right about Combo. I thought that's why scum NKed me too.
NKed night 1! I was happy about that. My role sucked anyway, I hate bodyguard. If I can draw a scum kill with it, so much the better.
I protected Advice Dog N1 because his posts were hilarious. My favourite meme player of the game, gw Xanth, props on entertainment (and being a voice of reason too).
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 22, 2010, 03:47:57 AM »
Personally found Sopko Breaker's wall of trolling utterly hilarious, but this is admittedly a spectator's perspective. Admirable commitment to scum douchebaggery there.

Only kinda scanned the topic every now and then. Had the most fun reading Soviet for flavor reasons, was sad when he died. Shouldn't be a surprise that that was Alex. He's good at that sort of thing.

I am terrible at guessing who people are but Tai was pretty obvious even from what little I read. Sorry, man! Even pop-culture references can't camouflage you.

Taishyr

« Reply #735 on: March 22, 2010, 03:58:42 AM »
Cid, you and Snow know me better than most the DL, I'm pretty sure you two don't count. I apparently was missed by almost everyone else so nyeeaaaaaaaah.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 22, 2010, 04:06:19 AM »
Damn it, I was right about Combo. I thought that's why scum NKed me too.

For the wrong reasons, really. Again, role speculation Day 1 is still stupid. Woulda said it if I was town too, probably in exactly the same way, which would have lead to the exact same argument more than likely. People were more right later on when I was commenting on O9K's posts reading town while supporting Soviet and such.

EDIT: We specifically targeted Dawg Night 1, thinking that Dog would be protected. Amusing it would have gone down that way anyway.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 04:18:17 AM by Hunter Sopko »

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 22, 2010, 06:19:18 AM »
That's why I just don't see the point of bodyguard; except in the specific circumstance where there is a cop claim, and even then it merely allows the cop one bonus investigation without slowing down scum at all, in the event that scum actually try to hit the cop. Still, it was role madness etc. so no harm done. Amusing game, but I stopped reading Walls of Text after I died naturally.
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 22, 2010, 06:37:01 AM »
KEKEKEKEKE.

I had first post, until I realized I was moron and failed at annony mafia faster  than anyone before.

Zerg Rushes. We're the fastest thing in the game.

Anyhow, I'll yield my play was fairly bad. I stand by my opinions to some degree, and honestly though Soviet was just being ballsy scum and getting away with it. The case/game stalled out at a point where I was low on energy, so I instead decided to pursue other cases people were following (hence my requesting abbreviated versions of arguments so I could track them and see if the logic followed to me). I really did think the case on C-C-C-Combo looked good, so I decided to go with it. The sudden swing back to Soviet made me feel uncomfortable. Then I died.

I debated claiming my power early or manipulating votes to try and use it, but overall, unless there was a good power role claimed, I didn't think it was worth it.

Soppy can attest that I was suspicious of Touhou (I can't remember what you said, but one of your points on Day 2 really sat poorly with me and I had just started to think about it) but I completely missed AYB.

I had no browser issues with Soppy's trollfest, and found it utterly hilarious.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 22, 2010, 06:45:11 AM »
That's why I just don't see the point of bodyguard; except in the specific circumstance where there is a cop claim, and even then it merely allows the cop one bonus investigation without slowing down scum at all, in the event that scum actually try to hit the cop.
Yeah, I'd rather see a variant that, say, doesn't save the person's life, but instead kills the attacker.  Or dies, but both saves the person's life and kills the attacker.  (Or I guess "all three die" works too--trading 1 scum for 1 town is still worthwhile).  As it stands, bodyguard is a highly nerfed doctor variant.

Although granted, in role madness, non-uber roles are fine; if everyone in town had a role on the power level of doc/cop that...would be absurd.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 22, 2010, 08:00:23 AM »
Roll here. My end D2 rant was because I was absolutely convinced of... I don't even know what. I've been low on sleep the past while, and busy, and didn't come in until after Day 1, at which point I was so far behind that trying to slug through everything was terrible, and... I just played like shit. But that shouldn't surprise anyone here. I suck at mafia, and for some reason, can NOT play like a Townie, or figure out who's scum. The paranoia just gets to me, I guess.

gg scum. I can't say I believed Touhou to be town by any means, but they were certainly my last target of the three.
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

Chiaki

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 22, 2010, 08:45:08 AM »
Mrf. Sorry, town. I consider this loss pretty much my fault. Without going into details, let's just say many things were demanding my attention and I didn't really feel like doing any of them. (combobreaker's wall of stuff made me not want to play, too, so as a strategy it was a win.)

Can't say it was all depression on other matters though. Going into day four, I knew I looked awful on day 2 due to not being on combo. I was pretty sure Touhou was scum on meta, which annoyed me because I knew nobody would accept it. Then he votes me for... not being on combo, thus meaning any response I have on him will be perceived as an omgus. I already knew he was pretty much unlynchable on his wordswordswords, too.

So I just went 'fuck it I'll post what I think, unabridged and unadorned'. And we all saw how that went.

For what it's worth, I think the meta case on him was mostly worth persuing. His claim looked much like other fakeclaims I've seen in the past.

• He claimed under pressure.
  • His claim was an investigative role that could easily not produce anything meaningful.
  • He then went on to... not produce anything meaningful! In fact he told blatant lies based on information town already knew.
  • I didn't mention this in game, but why would he track Cake, who looked for all the world like a vig at the time and thus would be super obvious as to what he's doing anyway? It's incongruous with Touhou's otherwise smart-seeming play.
  • The other two roles that could produce coplike results died before he did, despite him seeming like the towniest player of all of 'em based on words.
  • His role was an outright copy of someone else's weirder role in a ROLE MADNESS game.

Yes, sure, all this can actually happen, but as this stuff piles up it's really hard for me to think of someone in this circumstance as town and I would be willing to lynch them on that. I honestly don't know what I could've pushed on Touhou to actually get him lynched though, even on reflection. Pretty much the first thing I did after dying was go to gate, go 'was touhou scum', and headdesk when he said yes. I wish I'd been wrong, honestly, because at least then I wouldn't remain confused over when/when not to use role/meta tells.

Apologies to Kilga for not giving him a run for his money, anyway. I am an unworthy rival. After much training, however, I shall return. >.>

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 22, 2010, 08:46:59 AM »
Speaking of, though, if anyone has any good ideas on TouhouKilga's scumtells that weren't based on role, please tell me so I can lynch him in the future. (A PM is fine too.)
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Kiro

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 22, 2010, 10:02:35 AM »
Just wanted to say I enjoyed reading the game on the flavor side. Day 1 was beautiful. Russia's NoLynch analogy in Day 1 almost made me burst out in laughter while I was at the Singapore National Library. I got a few stares. Zerg and Advice Dog also were fun to read. Touhou's attention to detail was fun too; I pegged him as Kilga pretty early because of that. Of course, the Day 3 image spam was funny from a spectator's perspective.

I wasn't overly interested in the game itself (I'm the kind who likes to read a novel without trying to deduce anything along the way) so no real comments there. The two modkills were unfortunate though, sympathy for the mod in those situations.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 22, 2010, 11:49:50 AM »
But that shouldn't surprise anyone here. I suck at mafia, and for some reason, can NOT play like a Townie, or figure out who's scum. The paranoia just gets to me, I guess.

What's that, Flay? I couldn't hear you over the sound of your awesome.

And Rat, that argument you didn't post probably would have turned things around quite a bit. Or, at least, I'd think it would, seeing as there was also that discussion on the final day about "Why did you tell Touhou who Cake targeted?!"
That said, still no doubt that Kilga would've found a way through it. Dammit, Touhou! >.<

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 22, 2010, 12:11:04 PM »
Ok, fine. So I can play perfectly fine when I'm Flay. And backed into a corner.

I will say that when the topic streamlined a bit and stopped seeming for all the world like troll-central (aside from the initial CCCC-to-Demo thing there with the Silence poster. Definitely my favourite part of the entire game) I definitely had more fun. Was just very frustrating to come into the game missing, like, 6-8 pages of information that was difficult to read, have my predecessor have an impression on others that is different from my own, as well as ideas that were different than my own, and try to go "I am not scum" when most of the stuff held against me at the time was stuff that I don't know why it was done. (AKA: The lack of my subbing in being announced, while understandable, ended up with GREAT amounts of grief, on my end, and I don't feel that replacements should be handled how it was for me in the future. Hell, I didn't even know my own alignment until a few RL days past when I subbed in)

Still gotta congratulate Touhou for being on the bottom of the Suspicious Persons list. (Though, thinking on it, had we killed AYB, you would've been pretty much hosed, aside from a lot of convincing everyone that either scum set you up, or you didn't think it worthwhile to pass the jacket along. Which I don't think would've gone over well, either, since you being alive would've completely contradicted scum's night actions since they found out about the jacket. Killing 2g1c might've lead you there, since they made it their death wish that I be lynched, but...)
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

Taishyr

« Reply #746 on: March 22, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
Well, it was my death wish that you be lynched only if XBOX was scum.

If XBOX was town, I was going to leave a decently detailed explanation of why I thought Touhou/AYB was the remaining scumpair and trust in the masonpair/!cake to eliminate them with my lynch vote.

Of course, then Bel Air dropped, and leaving such a note would have been pointless. So I didn't.

(AYB/Touhou and Astley/XBOX were the obvious schisms, aside from a few zany potentials with XBOX. AYB just didn't make sense with non-Touhou, Astley didn't make sense with non-XBOX based on what was going on in-game.)

EDIT: And yeah, having the announce on your replacement would have made me about 100x with you day 2, as it was in many regards the tone shift I jumped on. But the tone shift is also something I don't articulate well as an explanation so I tried to back it up with what else I had been noticing, which in retrospect was probably just attributable to two-in-one play.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 12:41:11 PM by Taitoro »

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 22, 2010, 12:41:53 PM »
Was part of that the Box's buddying up and proclaiming my innocence?
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

Taishyr

« Reply #748 on: March 22, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
In part, yes; I wouldn't have been convinced by that normally except he was hellbent on lynching the other two options based on theorycruft while clearing you based on it.

The connection didn't seem reciprocated which was another reason why I questioned what was going on there, and part of why I didn't include it as part of my main case. There actually was me considering you/Touhou or you/AYB for a bit but then I thought it through and realized it didn't make sense based on the interactions that had taken place.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 22, 2010, 02:59:49 PM »
Trust me. I was just as, if not more confused by it than you were.
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...