Author Topic: A memes to an end(Meme Mafia: Game Over)  (Read 117739 times)

Tron Bonne

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: You know what I meme?(Meme Mafia: Day 2)
« Reply #275 on: March 08, 2010, 10:14:34 PM »
The timing for this is oddly appropriate. As a disclaimer, I'm doing this because:

a) I'm probably not going to be able to play this game anymore due to rather idyosincratic schedules, and to be honest, playing Mafia leaves me crazy wired - which, at this point, is less than desirable for my personal life.

b) Watching a lynch you know to be right possibly slip past your hands due to mudslinging and OMG WE'RE BEING LED BY THE NOSE!!!111 just plain sucks, and I highly suspect this will get to go on forever as town gets blasted into tiny pieces.

c) Due to a and b, asking for a replacement is probably going to be very sketchy and difficult for the player replacing me, and the fact I fell behind is likely to get the other player bitten in the ass for not being able to catch up and contribute. So, may as well go with a bang and see if town follows this up.

I am a Cassandra - I.E. a full cop, and as soon as the mod sees I claimed, I'm getting modkilled - and I'm not allowed to post anything after I claim either. As I said, I thought something was up with Crappy Fighting Game Mechanic/Advice Dog/Yo Dawg, and decided to cop C-C-C-C-Combo Breaker. Result being that COMBO BREAKER IS SCUM: rolecop and roleblocker rolled into one for his roles.

This is why I went out of the left field coming up with the argument to back up Advice Dog. And I'm glad this spun discussion and a smooth train, but I strongly dislike the sudden doubt and how some people have taken up the mantle to try and put Advice Dog into the dog pound over it. This isn't a lynch for information: this is a hunt for -scum-, and Combo Breaker has left the evidence plain and simple for everyone to see.

Now, what I'd be particularly wary about right now are either the people downplaying Combo Breaker's scum behavior and/or trying to spin Advice Dog, as it stands, into a villainous position. This means yes, you, Rickroll, I'd very much like to see your head on the chopping block right after Combo Breaker, for pushing yourself even further into scum alert territory. The case you made against him is highly suspect to me - but maybe I'm biased, since I knew from the beginning of day 2 Combo Breaker was scum, period. This very reason also made me wary of how Combo Breaker tried to retain his hold on Soviet Russia and smear XBOX 360, although both of them are perfectly viable lynches in a vacuum.

As for Advice Dog's chainsaw defense... mmmmmmmm. I can only think that, assuming Dog is town (which I -do- - sacrificing a scum this strongly honestly comes off as a really gutsy scum maneuver, especially when they're down one already and things may just get worse, particularly if Combo Breaker goes down today), the defense comes as trying to steer away the lynch from the wrong people. Now, this obviously doesn't really free Soviet Russia at all - he could be still scum, or he could be third party. But, when thinking of Combo Breaker's insistence on getting Soviet Russia killed by town, it makes sense - struggle of town vs. scum. And due to Rick Astley currently following a not entirely dissimilar lead, only using Soviet Russia to try and smear Advice Dog, who, like it or not, has been one of our most proficient posters with active content -and- who managed to hit scum... yeah. Looking at you.

Not sure I'm too keen on Slingshot Girls (2Girls1Cup) dismissing the case and focusing on people who annoy her rather than people who show straight scumvibes. OMGUS behavior is bad for town, and I do excuse the sickness playing into it. However, it does look suspicious, particularly when the day 1 performance was a bit on the poor side anyway.

So, this is it. There you have my piece. Good day and I sure hope you people lynch actual scum today.

Chad Hutchins

• Denizen
  • GO OSPREYS! Road 2 nationals: state playoff 5/1!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 08, 2010, 10:17:44 PM »
In Soviet Russia, roleclaims post you!

Um.  

The sheer level of "what" from Astley here, it ees just what.  People say case nonexistent, I say case on Astley self evident!  Lurk all day, do nothing productive, sling mud at me for no good reason, sling mud at roleclaims for no good reason, sling mud at Dog for agree with me and disagree with you, then suddenly geev up on life and post extra inflammatory stuff, say you are going to die, but not even bother to roleclaim self?  Ees just terrible!

"Russia terrible this game, inexcusably so."  How?  What?  How are loyal soviets supposed to defend this?  Soviets make one boo boo at start of game, try to get game out of jokevote phase with crazy proposal, but fail to explain and followup adequately.  This explained and apologized for already.  Beyond that?  Every lazy person piling on Soviets for multitude of flimsy reasons just because look like easy target.  Say things like Astley did there.  Or be like Combo Breaker, who vote me for "not answering questions and making baseless attacks," but as it turns out, Combo Breaker just not read posts and not notice answers to questions and clear base for attacks.  Whoops, say Combo Breaker... but he leave vote on Soviets anyway!

And now Astley attack Dog for defending motherland, with no case on motherland to begin with!  Soviets very frustrated with this.  Feel like half of players not bothering to read game, just thinking "well everyone voting Soviets so must be scummy, right?" and then find own flimsy reason to pile on and call day.  Bel Air and Demotivator doing it too now!  Case not been rehashed!  What IS case?  Tell me!  Give actual points!  Loyal comrades not able to defend from case that not exist!  

Anyhow, soviets agree that Combo Breaker train form easily.  Veeery wary of thees.  Much prefer to lynch Astley or Xbox or Meelhouse.  Ees much better alternative to own lynch, though, so in interests of national self defense...

##Unvote: Astley
##Vote: Breaker of Combo

Ninja by Meelhouse!
Whoooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Meelhouse claim kind of out of nowhere, but workers of motherland not going to complain!  Clearly day to send Combo Breaker to Siberia, queek!

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 08, 2010, 10:32:08 PM »
STOP POSTING, THE DAY IS OVER!
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 08, 2010, 10:35:15 PM »
Milhouse Is Not A Meme, Town Cassandra, has been modkilled for breaking restrictions of his role. He was warned in his initial PM that this would be a day ending modkill as well.

It is now Night 2, please send in your night actions.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Asuka Langley

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: You know what I meme?(Meme Mafia: Night 2)
« Reply #279 on: March 08, 2010, 10:43:55 PM »

Knew the modkill was going to end the day. Too slow, not that it would have mattered. I've used the above picture before, but it's oddly appropriate again given Milhouse's actions.

At least this damn well gets -2C dealt with. Guaranteed scum outside of really bastard modding, and I will be massively annoyed if he's still around come night 3.

Duck Roll v2 looks all the worse. The smooth lynch to -2C felt too smooth, but the push away from him was really bad. Suspect massively that he's scum and Commie's town. Boxed Air is also suspect for the similar move, complicated by having moved to -2C to begin with.

Need I respond in full to Duck Roll's rabid frothing at me? I can if people want, but it's all pretty bad. I particularly like how he's calling me low content and his example is the one goddamn section I specifically list as clogging up space that I didn't even want to post if not for CATS specifically asking me.

Getting this post out relatively quickly before settling into further analysis.

Asuka Langley

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: You know what I meme? (Meme Mafia: Night 2)
« Reply #280 on: March 08, 2010, 11:34:44 PM »

Strength of feeling on -2C + people I feel suspicious leading lynch away from -2C to Commie => strong feelings of townCommie. Pretty simple, and backed up now that my play on -2C is vindicated. I think I caught scum napping in -2C, and now Milhouse has caught scum in an unintended trap, by which I mean the sheer strength of Rick trying to redirect attention on the basis of town -2C (or what, changing your opinion to a Dogscum, Commiescum and -2Cscum team? Because what) rather than absolutely pinning -2C down, as much as that certainty helps.

Actually, Duck Roll's sudden list on me gets under my skin enough that I'll go through it now.

1. Uh no. Took well into day two before I felt I'd decoded him well enough that supporting him didn't feel massively uncomfortable. Unless you want to go back to the jester worries.
2. Uh no. Resent the claim I've been low content by any definition, and have already covered the bracketed section already.
3. Would defend this on its own terms if not for Milhouse already revealing that there is indeed a scum roleblocker. Combined roleblock/rolecop is not being used on fellow scum, and is going to be used. This pretty much outright clears 2g1c for me.
4. Not a point against me!
5. Yes? Of course it's possible for scum to play super active. That possibility by itself is not a point against me, or anyone else.
6. Not a point against me!
7. Could do with this being pointed out. Not really sure what it means. After the vig claim? Sure, it doesn't clear !cake outright and there are potential set ups where he could end up lynched. Really don't see it happening, though.
8. I don't think the Commie's scum. Even less and less after the push to get him lynched in -2C's place. I'm not greatly surprised if it's the case that scum are piling on him. And it certainly hasn't applied to everyone who's been on the Commie.

Oh, and the Hijack has been even more in support of the Commie than I have, from much earlier. How does that figure into your plan?

Cutting here to swap computers (to prepare the silly bonus content, of all things), but let me separate and say this clearly (mentioned above but bears singling out):

I very strongly believe that 2g1c is basically cleared. She's the only one to have claimed to have been roleblocked in a rolemadness game, and Milhouse has just uncovered a scum roleblocking power that will definitely have been used on town, if not for its intrinsic value in roleblocking then for the bonus gained in rolecopping. There's no way scum didn't use that last night, and there's no way that wasn't used on town. Don't um and ah over game theory unless you're going to try and claim that scum expected there to be a full cop in the game who would scan the relevant person night 1 and then reveal the information.

Asuka Langley

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 09, 2010, 12:21:40 AM »

Okay, the momentum of the day's end has left me trying to move too quickly here. I need to stop a bit to calm down and think through things properly.

Notably, I need to pull back on that solid endorsement of 2g1c. Hadn't thought through the possibilities of weird roles like combined roleblock/rolecop. In this case, if the blocker/copper hits vanilla, scum knows one of their own can safely claim to be roleblocked. This is a very reasonable thing for scum to pull. I'm still convinced the context leads to town2g1c, and who knows if there even are vanilla roles in the game (and if there are, if a rolecop would know that from scanning the name of the role). BUT it's a possibility I can't throw out, so no, 2g1c not cleared.

Asuka Langley

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 09, 2010, 01:16:59 AM »

My diversion for this evening is a minor meme from back in 2007 that I enjoyed a lot at the time and find deliciously appropriate given this ability of mine to speak during night phases. It concerns the following picture:

The picture speaks for itself: some kid's growing idea of what it means to be cool. 4chan did as 4chan does and took this dream and shat all over it, in place of society normally too polite to laugh at a crap drawing. On top of the QUALITY artwork (complete with outrageous hair style), lots of laughs were also had at the budding emo nature in it, and all of the childish ideas of what makes someone cool, in particular 'staying up all night'.

It was a good laugh in and of itself, but as popular as it was as the poster child for what was seen as hilariously wrong with any number of things, this led to a lot of fan art (either deliberately far better or far worse than the original) and the usual meme workout: shoving his face in anywhere and everywhere, including all of the other memes back then.

The whole experience was neatly summed up in a montage video. It is/was available on youtube, but has had the audio stripped from it. I've restored the pieces, and offer it to you through the medium of Rapidshare, weighing in at 13 megs: enjoy.

Spot the memes throughout, though I think Hijack is the only one of our number to feature in it. My own pick of the random references is seeing even Sonic Gokuverine getting in on the action at 0:56.

Asuka Langley

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 09, 2010, 02:02:13 PM »

Back to the serious stuff, now that I've had time to cool down and ponder. I've been wondering if it was in town's best interests for Milhouse to use up one of our mislynches like that, but the information is strong, and what's done is done regardless.

-2C absolutely must go. More like −273.15C, amirite.

Duck Roll v2 I still have pegged as second place, but I'm not so sure as I was. The outburst itself is rabid (and practically a /ragequit, which is just plain rude, but hey), but I think is worse for being a smokescreen to distract from the horrible feeling from himself and Boxed Air switching the lynch leader away from -2C back to the Commie, and also to distract away from the case I was already building on him.

His entire case on 2g1c is the one paragraph here, which is to say for a minor, defunct and incorrect point regarding !cake. This is OMGUS, and not even properly veiled. It's also interesting that this is the same post that he turns on Commie, having actually supported him quite strongly come the end of day one. The difference? Commie had voted for him in the meantime.

Which makes it all the funnier that he then attacked me as I pulled out stronger against him. Part of his claim was indirect serial OMGUS on behalf of Commie. Well gee, guess I can't compete with your direct serial OMGUS.

I'm willing to write off the bad game theory (let's ignore the roleblocking crap, but directing night actions, especially a bonus kill, is terrible) as neutral, and it's after this point that I start to falter. Pushing on to Commie one thing, but the night action he called was for the vig to kill the other train leader, which would see -2C and Commie dead one way or another (unless there was also a plan to push XBox 360 forward). Mitigating losses? But then I also don't know what he plans to do if Commie flips town, and if instead Duck Roll v2, -2C and Commie are all scum together (as a trap set up to try and get me, and maybe then Hijack lynched as well?) then calling for the vig to take out another member of the team before the next day starts seems horribly wrong. It's not like he'd even get credit for it.

So yeah, while I'm sure that his bluster is harmful to town, I'm not sure I see scum behind it. Not even flustered scum, which is how it initially struck me. I'm expecting a change in attitude regardless now that -2C has indeed turned out to be scum.

Then again, I refalter back to him being scummy, because he's had absolutely nothing to say about -2C or even XBox, despite them being the other big dishes of the day. No doubt giving -2C a chainsaw defence because I'm trying to get him lynched over Commie, amirite.

After that, eyes are drawn to Boxed Air and Poster, for the rather bigger shift from -2C to Commie. Not hard to theorise a bussing attempt turned back to risk the mislynch instead. Poster is in particularly bad position here, for getting on the train late, and then first back off, as part of this bigger mess of him bending in the wind from anything and everything. Boxed Air is bad in a different way: on earlier, but the logic for changing to Commie here is horrendous - lynching for information and the supposed information is wrong anyway. I don't, for instance, see how Commie flipping town would make -2C's actions look any worse in any way, and disagree that -2C flipping scum tells us nothing about Commie - it's scum setting up this huge obviously scummy delayed vote... onto a partner? You mean, bussing without getting in to take any of the cred?

Xbox 360 is still a mess, but suddenly of less immediate concern. I've managed to lose track of CATS again as well, which is vaguely concerning but his late vote for -2C after the swing back towards Commie is enough to abate that for now at least. After -2C is dealt with (everyone should definitely get all of their thoughts in before the lynch, but -2C has to be dead by the end of the day), I'm definitely looking to find scum in the Duck Roll v2, Boxed Air and the Poster.

Asuka Langley

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 09, 2010, 06:17:35 PM »

As dawn has yet to break, I guess I can take a look at -2C's actions and opinions, and what others have had to say about him. Just looking for connections, no point rehashing the points that make him scummy.

His vote for Commie comes at an awkward point: it ties o9k and Commie at seven votes apiece. I'd very much like to use this as further support of Commie's innocence, but I'll be cautious. It just seems so needlessly risky (if scumCommie), especially when it's still quite some time afterwards before the winds really start blowing in o9k's direction. There's so much random poking, prodding and dangling questions with the Commie, as well. Still can't see them as buddies.

...which led me to this post from the Poster. He does then jump on o9k, but at this point of time his vote is on Dawg, not Commie. lolwut. More on this later, because this scanning is turning up all sorts on Poster.

-2C then pulls out some hate on !cake here, alongside o9k, Dawg and Commie as his top suspects, later adding Duck Roll v2 and 2g1c. Two confirmed townies, the vig claim and Commie, huh. No, this particular point does not defend Commie by extension.

The cheerleading on the New Hotness case at the start of day two reads well for New Hotness. The whole slow vote from XBox to Commie doesn't say anything to me about XBox 360, given that it was a vote that was always intended to move. Smallest of positive tells from the post he removed the vote in, being as it leaves room for him to return if need be.

Doesn't really support anyone at any point, except as part of covering his own position.

After he realises he's caught, WIFOM becomes harder to deal with. Especially the end section here where he talks about what should happen if he's lynched. The list weirds me out because it contains CATS (despite not voting for him), and doesn't contain Poster, despite falling very snugly into the category. Pain pain pain.

Off again. Reverse connections to follow if there's a chance later. Only one I've seen thus far without actively is Poster very much sitting on -2C's side on the spat with Dawg. Really getting the impression that he wasn't the intended NK and that scum were going to set him up as a mislynch along with Commie. Poster continuing to slide down ever further as time passes.

Asuka Langley

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 09, 2010, 08:56:48 PM »
Quick message: I've just been offered to receive a copy of Killer Instinct.

I'm going to accept.

I haven't been told I'm dead yet, so if I do die there's at least good odds of it being related to that, which would strongly imply SK rather than mafia. Depends on whether the mafia have already submitted their kill or not.

Kind of expect it not to be the killing power, though watch me be wrong.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
I meme it this time!(Meme Mafia: Day 3)
« Reply #286 on: March 09, 2010, 09:10:16 PM »
Another morning, another dead meme. Or two, as the case may be.

As the remaining memes gathered, the mass of zerglings with thier endless kekekekekekekekeing were nowhere to be found. A quick search however revealed the entire lot of them at the bottom of a cliff. Dressed in lemming suits. Everyone decided it was really best not to ask.

Also, the freindly neighborhood Advice Dog was absent. Though no matter how much anyone looked, they just couldn't find him. Not even one last helpful poster.

Zerg Rush, Town Skindancer, has failed at bungee jumping!
Advice Dog, Town Insomniac, has mysteriously vanished!

It is now the beginning of day 3. With 11 memes remaining, it takes 6 to axe someone in the face.

As of 1PM PST/4PM EST(roughly 10 minutes ago), day 3 has 72 hours remaining!
<%Laggy> no not really.

Alice Margatroid

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: I meme it this time!(Meme Mafia: Day 3)
« Reply #287 on: March 09, 2010, 09:15:36 PM »
(Wrote this up during the night. I have to leave, so I don't have time to do re-reading right now based on the NKs, but I don't think they change much of anything off the top of my head.)

Man, I wish it didn't always fall to me to clean up everyone else's messes.

##Fantasy Seal Vote: C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

Begone from Gensokyo, foul youkai!

Now then. Other suspects, in approximate order of scumminess:

Bel Air - Absolutely terrible. Notable amounts of lurking, and while he doesn't say absolutely nothing when he posts like lolcat did, he doesn't say a whole lot either. More importantly, his opinions on Box and Breaker (and vote on Breaker) were "yeah what other people said" and that same post is otherwise devoid of meaningful stances. This smells terribly of an early bussing attempt - hop on a buddy while Russia is still comfortably in the vote lead - designed to get credit should Breaker eventually get lynched a couple of days later, a plan which is then jettisoned after the Breaker train picks up more speed and Demote keeps the easy Russia target relevant while pointing out that, despite Breaker now leading the votes, the two trains are somewhat close. Suddenly "I'm no longer sure on the Russian" becomes "okay I think the Russian's bad again" and Bel Air brings the trains to a tie on the grounds that a Russia lynch is more informative. I can almost literally hear the youkai panic in that switch.

Rick Astley - Case has already been made by Advice Dog and others. I don't really have much of anything to add here, though I will point out that his Bonus NK direction suggestion (bad enough already) was toward "whichever of our trains isn't lynched today", which is several additional levels of wrong for reasons related to why "if x is town lynch y" is bad (unless he was trying to suggest that both Breaker AND Russia are scum, but that idea is laughable). I have him below Bel Air, however, because the song and dance at the end of the day really leaves me scratching my head. I wonder if Advice Dog might be overblowing this a little bit because he feels slighted.

Demotivational Poster - Similar feelings of "failed bus panic" as what I see in Bel Air, but a little less so, mostly because there were no additional Breaker votes between his move to Breaker and his move back to Russia. Bel Air's flip-flop seems 100% fabricated, while Demote's has some pangs of potential sincerity. I still don't like the obvious gloss of 360's first posts, though. Was originaly below Xbox but Advice Dog's connection observations have bumped him up a little bit.

Xbox - Case has already been made by Yugi and others. Still a small bit of doubt about the possibility of misguided human, but in looking back it came from a post that's more game theory than actual opinion, which leaves open the possibility of Xbox being a lesser (newbie) youkai. The vote for Demote could also be easily chalked up to a lesser youkai unwilling to bus an elder in the lead, even without the poor reasoning (though that certainly doesn't help him). I don't see Breaker's delayed switch starting on Box as a notable indication of Box being youkai, but I also don't see it as an indication of Box being human either.

Shana also now pings my miko intuition a little bit with her "I agree that Breaker looks bad but I wish people would start paying attention to Russia again" post, but she's not on the same level as the above four, as I'd been getting pretty good vibes from her on the whole before that.

Lynching for information... I can see the logic, but I've struggled to choose between the two for a good part of today, and you've said about "potential flip ramifications down the line" - stating an opinion ties you to those, though, and a Town player still has to worry about mislynches, especially if it's themself being lynched.

Being held responsible for the opinions you state is exactly the reason you state them. If we didn't hold anyone to their opinions then the entire foundation for youkai hunting would crumble.

Chad Hutchins

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 09, 2010, 09:24:41 PM »
##Vote: Combo Breaker

Glorious socialist republic was roleblocked last night!

Да, that about it for now.  Read post before end of day to see Soviet thoughts, not much change with confirmations.  Imperialist islander Japanese bullet game hijack make very good case on Bel Air as well - Soviet mind probably muddled on issue due to annoyance with many past votes on self.

Bill Hellsnake

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 09, 2010, 09:51:42 PM »
Let's not be too hasty in voting for C-C-C-Combo Breaker here guys.  Yes, he's almost certainly scum.  But quick hammering is not a good thing.

Regardless, currently looking at Demotivational.  His little shuffle between the Comrad and -2C yesterday was, interesting.  Not to mention, it'll be interesting to see what 2g1c have to say, as well as !Cake.

Chad Hutchins

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 09, 2010, 09:52:53 PM »
Actually, brotherhood of workers should add one thing.  Soviet night action was attempted to be taken targeting Combo Breaker, but failed (probably due to roleblock from комбо выключатель himself?!) and so nothing has changed in status of Soviet cow and fur products.  Ees reason to claim this, Да, at least one other living player will know what I am talking about, and scum may already know too if speculation on combined rolecop/roleblock correct.

Margaret Houlihan

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 09, 2010, 10:23:45 PM »
I'm looking at you, Cake.

No, seriously. NKs don't change stuff, no, but nothing to say about Combo being guaranteed scum?

To begin with, it mostly clears Russia. That'd be a hell of a gambit for them to pull and, while it's possible, it's not gonna happen when there are far more viable targets. (But I hope you know that you've had me hitting my head on walls repeatedly. argh.)
Secondly, it practically confirms 2g1c to me, since we know there's a roleblocker in play in Combo. (Note that the same doesn't apply to Russia, for what I'd hope are obvious reasons.) I don't follow Advice Dog's logic of "They could have hit Vanilla" in what is role madness - there are some things they could have hit, but I'm willing to take the same approach to 2g1c as I am to Russia now and say that they're Town until others are borderline-confirmed.

That narrows us down to the following: AYB, Bel Air, Xbox, Shikiana, Astley, Cake and Touhou. Recap tiem~

Astley: No idea why he thought he was going to die, of all players, or why he felt like providing a bad case on Advice Dog before the day ended. Especially odd with Dog's flip, and uses the "So town, he's scum!" argument. Tried directing night actions, weak arguments and... what. Wow. Okay, guys. Go to Rick Astley's latest posts. Ctrl+F, and try all of "Combo", "C-" and "Breaker". The results are fun - he is mentioned in the case on Advice Dog and today's post ONLY. Flying straight to the top of the list here.
Bel Air: This post sucks. He doesn't see the case on Astley nor Astley's case on 2g1c, but doesn't say why for either. Says Russia looks better, only to flip back when Combo is in a bind. And... wow, wait, that's it for D2? Um. Okay then.
Xbox: Makes way too many stupid mistakes. Not necessarily scummy, but definitely doesn't look good. Weak cases, mostly based on looking for the most outlandish possibility (the "Scum roleblock themselves!" bad WIFOM and "They're very Townie, this makes them suspicious!") or "They've changed too much!", which is kinda odd.
Cake: Probably 3rd-party. Wouldn't mind lynching Cake tomorrow, though, considering Advice Dog was probably her victim, judging by the nature of the kill. Care to explain that one, if you have some reason for it?
AYB: I've been curiously suspicious of him for most of the game, but can't place why. His last post of the day, though? Epic. If all of his content was that good, he'd easily be the most confirmed player to me. Looking back, his posts are actually not bad at all, and I just wish he'd provide a little more often. Except for the WIFOM (@Zerg)
Shikiana: AYB the 2nd. Some of it is really good (the points on AYB here stand out as being well-reasoned), but such low profile. I've forgotten Shikiana's here so many times, and some of the posts (see previous link, first paragraph) seem to be padded out way too much. Overall town read, though, for now, and moreso than AYB.
Touhou: Touhou is Touhou is Touhou and I'm not even gonna dwell on this one. Probably the most Townie unconfirmed player alive.

In order from scum->town. Xbox would be second if not for the pure lurking of Bel Air, methinks - worse content, but active lurking is </3. That said, actively avoiding commenting on a lynch train that is now proven scum? ahahaha.

Princess Leia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 09, 2010, 10:43:28 PM »
##Vote: Combo Breaker . Didn't see the case yesterday, but the Milhouse thing is as close to cast-iron as it gets.

Xbox-sized bad timing from Rick, but while he's undeniably bad I'm not sure it's actually scummy - after all, I've made much the same arguments myself. (The Dog flipping town actually pushes him more in the direction of bad town in my book - such a hysterical rant was never going to cause a substantial shift in town opinion, wheras it might have made Astley look better had Dog later emerged as scum). Does indeed sound like a ragequit, and a hugely premature one at that; so much for never giving us up.

I really don't think the scum could afford to waste a combined rolecop/roleblocker, but the strategy Dog outlined applies equally well last night (and it's even outlined right there if they couldn't think of it themselves). In particular, I can see C-C-C-C targeting the Dog, then SK killing the Dog (should've held out for Mortal Kombat), clearing the way for a scum roleclaim. But on the whole this still makes Soviet (and by the same token 2g1c) look substantially better than they were.

Speaking of the girls, their vote on me comes at an iffy time (and acknowledging the dodginess of their vote record does nothing to excuse it), particularly since I don't think I was saying anything qualitatively different from what I'd said before - the game-theoretic case for scum roleblocking scum on D1 is no stranger than that for scum fakeclaiming. Just to be absolutely clear, of course using a combination roleblocker/rolecop on one of their own makes no sense at all - but we didn't know that was the power back during the posts I'm talking about. Promised post on me failing to materialise means absolutely nothing given the suddenness with which the day ended. Will wait to hear more.

So for now, putting C-C-C-C aside, Demotivator is who I'd be happiest going after. I go after him for shifting his vote around, and his response is to... shift it again? Comments on many things, but takes few solid positions - pretty wishy-washy on lynching for information. Muses on shifting vote again, and "pretty much out-scums anything else today." is hyperbole of the highest calibre. Telling people off for laziness and explanation of why directing night actions is bad are correct but empty.

Curious why the dog knew the modkill would end the day (I didn't, and spent a couple of minutes doing increasingly paranoid theorising about where the extra vote came from). But it doesn't really matter. Oh, and obviously Cake has some explaining to do.

Triple ninja, serves me right for the namesake-sized post. Oh well, if I analyse long enough I can spend forever writing responses.
Rick's back, and with surprisingly little to say. No comment on the dog actually flipping town? Yes, quick hammers are bad (though frankly, I suspect things will be so skewed today that I personally will learn very little). But we should all know that, and I'm happier with my vote on C-C-C-C than not, just because it leaves fewer ways for everything to go utterly wrong.
In soviet russia, cow tips you!
And finally the man himself. Scum hitting vanilla (or more correctly hitting someone with no night action) requires a bit of luck, yes, but they didn't have to decide whether to claim until afterwards, so it's not at all ridiculous as a scum ploy if they got the opportunity. Which means that the roleclaim makes 2g1c less likely to be scum, but by no means confirmed. Shiki is low-content, but wasn't by any means forgettable , to me at least (maybe it's the bright pink avatar). Will look at AyB later, posting this now before I get cut again.

COMBO BREAKER

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 09, 2010, 10:55:01 PM »

COMBO BREAKER

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 09, 2010, 10:58:02 PM »

COMBO BREAKER

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 09, 2010, 10:59:40 PM »

COMBO BREAKER

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 09, 2010, 11:00:56 PM »
HAMMER STOP TALKING!

Margaret Houlihan

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 09, 2010, 11:03:55 PM »

I figured this would be appropriate, and have little to add from Xbox's post, except for:

In particular, I can see C-C-C-C targeting the Dog, then SK killing the Dog (should've held out for Mortal Kombat), clearing the way for a scum roleclaim.
Role speculation? When we've had someone else claim to be roleblocked? I can't help thinking I'm misunderstanding what you're saying here.

Otherwise, the points in response to my post are either pointless (2g1c claim - from what I can tell, we're agreed on the "likely town, still option of scum") or opinion (shikiana).

2x Ninja: That is going to get really annoying really fast, isn't it?

Nathan Greaves

• Just wants a moment of your time
  • Denizen
  • It'll be off the record, I promise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 09, 2010, 11:05:08 PM »
Time out for a second. That wasn't supposed to happen.

Okay, time to clarify. My role is Town Landshark - at night I can offer a player something inconspicous and non-game related. If they accept, they die; if not, nothing happens.

Night 1, I offered lolcats a cheezburger. He accepted it, clearly, and died.
Last night, I offered Combo Breaker a copy of Killer Instinct. The intention was to entice them with something that went along with their character to sound like some sort of bastard-mod hidden power.

Clearly, since it got redirected to Advice Dog, scum has something akin to a bus driver on top of their roleblocker/cop. Obviously now the effects of my role are painfully public, so there's no harm being open about it. Obviously it's of no use now it's public, so no more kills for me I guess.

Anyway, given yesterday it shouldn't be hard to decide who to vote today.

##Vote: C-C-C-C-Combo Breaker

That's L-2, so we should stop now. Combo's outburst above looks more like an excuse to end conversation.

As for other cases to cover in later days, taking a reread of some of the big names today.

Bel-Air's jump from 'Xbox and Combo are bad, I don't know what I feel about Soviet' to 'Wait, actually Soviet really IS bad' coincides a little too closely with the Combo wagon actually picking up speed and Soviet falling behind, as Hijack put it. Add a distinct lack of original opinion and we have a pretty good lead here.

Rick Astley is...well. I still don't see the point about his D1 actions, but his evening up the Soviet/Combo wagons and this defeatist post which screams AtE and attacks a now-confirmed Town are definitely worth looking at.

Xbox...hm. While he pushed the 2g1c point pretty far, he jumped off the Soviet wagon very late on. Would scum risk that due to the threat of Combo getting lynched? Don't think it's worth it.

Those are the cases that come to mind right now. I don't have enough of a feel on anyone else to constitute a real case: Touhou I don't see much fault with, and the Demotivation/AYB/Shiki trio don't really register in my head. 2g1c is probably just about confirmed since roleblocking one of your own players D1 is pointless.

I'm wondering another thing - does this mean scum knows the roles of Soviet and 2g1c?

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 09, 2010, 11:07:33 PM »
Votecount

COMBO BREAKER (5): Touhou, Russia, XBOX, O R'LYEH, Cake

With 11 alive, it takes 6 to lynch.

COMBO BREAKER is at L-1!
<%Laggy> no not really.