imageRegister

Author Topic: A memes to an end(Meme Mafia: Game Over)  (Read 117696 times)

Princess Leia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: A memes to an end(Meme Mafia: Game Over)
« Reply #675 on: March 21, 2010, 10:54:20 PM »
Well, nice playing with everyone. In case anyone didn't notice, this was my first forum mafia game; more different from live-action than I expected. I can see I'm going to have to relearn my scumhunting skills. (And recalibrate how much I rely on logic; I'm used to playing with mathematicians).
I was surprised by how intense this felt; I probably won't play the next game unless there's a substantial break between them, I need a few days off. But I do intend to play here again.
My one regret would be not thinking through the implications of Shana's role (i.e. that given the extra vote requirement, Shana being a busdriver too was pretty unlikely) before making my early-morning almost-hammer, but I don't think I could've stemmed the tide even if I had. I'd resigned myself to the game being lost while I was in hospital, so to see that I was only an hour too late to potentially have kept it going (and could've done if I'd posted first thing when I got home) is irritating, but it happens; can't regret that sort of thing.
Not sure what was going on between myself and 2g1c; truth be told, even to the very end I was expecting them to flip some sort of uberscum. Guess I've got a lot to learn.
Congratulations to the winners, particularly Touhou, and I look forward to next time.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 21, 2010, 10:55:07 PM »
Fun game to watch up until about...the end of day 2.  Then day 3 was a bit of a non-day and most of the trails went cold.

Gate: I'd be curious to know what all the roles actually do.  Some of them seemed like fairly neat effects, but I can't get anything out of the role names.

Asuka Langley

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 21, 2010, 10:56:19 PM »
My one regret would be not thinking through the implications of Shana's role (i.e. that given the extra vote requirement, Shana being a busdriver too was pretty unlikely)

Damn it man, stop thinking about stupid role combinations as means to clear someone. No, that absolutely means nothing. Like nearly everything else you suggested. That paved to your mislynch so easily.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 21, 2010, 10:58:48 PM »
I'm not even very good at finding scum myself, but this whole game felt like a gimme after a while.

This. Lolcat and combo were really blatant, and the other two weren't hard to figure out.  Town in general outside of Milhouse day one and advice dog didn't have good games.

I completely lost interest in day 3 with the image spamming. That wasn't cute or good scum play, it made me not even want to read the game. The mod really should have stepped in and stopped it.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Alice Margatroid

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 21, 2010, 11:02:37 PM »

I think the game had a sufficient number of odd factors that Xanth's rant...well, I'm not sure I would say it isn't warranted (I felt like I had to work my ass off the entire time to keep myself alive and set up one of the masons as my buddy should I eventually get lynched (like I really should have been, tbh)), but town got crazy lucky with night actions this game, so the daytime play was regression to the luck norm if nothing else and as such I feel less bad about how things played out. And, well, bofh and I had the Day 2 trains to keep us going, which was pretty handy for us. (Yes, both of Breaker's buddies were on him, and the swing back to Russia was 100% town in origin.)

I also understand that Rat's total lack of a meaningful Day 4 case on me was a result of real-life issues. I extend my sympathies to him as a result.

I'm also glad we nabbed Roukan a win. MotK represent.

Asuka Langley

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 21, 2010, 11:04:16 PM »
Town getting lucky at night does not balance out by town having a stroke during the day.

Alice Margatroid

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 21, 2010, 11:09:15 PM »
Eh. Like I said, between putting so much effort into bullshitting my way through the rest of the game and the myriad of other factors (side note: Russia's No Lynch + mass claim plan would have won the game for town, since we had basically no reasonable fakeclaims on our side) I'm less than sympathetic to how things played out. 2G1C in particular there was nothing wrong with, it was just that Xbox and the mason pair looked really bad for in-game reasons related to actions before Day 3.

Also, and yes, this is somewhat pig-headed, but I don't like being told that town lost this game more than scum won it after the amount of effort I put into staying alive.

But I guess I'm biased.

Asuka Langley

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 21, 2010, 11:11:17 PM »
As I said, scum played badly, town one upped you by playing worse.

Li Syaoran

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 21, 2010, 11:11:56 PM »
No, I don't think it could have likely been done without at least one mislynch (and I believe only I had the player-meta to clear XBox 360), but by day 5 it felt so very, very clear (and the leather jacket being on Hijack meant that you could have set up day 6 to be really simple, because he wouldn't have been able to use it). Surely CATS's soft claim made it really, really obvious if you hadn't worked it out already?
FWIW, there was a decent chance that I'd be offed D6, but you yourself said that it's unlikely that it'd occur without one mislynch on D5, with the issue that thanks to BelAir being a derpsicle, D5 became LYLO.

Anyway, decent game. I played quite horribly, apologies to everyone involved, but perpetually-increasing amounts of schoolwork/projects/assignments and thus perpetually-dwindling amounts of time that I had to actually devote to this game led to a lot of unintentional lurking and a lot of posts that I was going to work on and then spent 20 hours doing a stat mech II assignment or something and by then yeah.

XBox 360 fully deserved the lynch, his play was horrible. What shouldn't have happened, though, was the D4 ShikiShana lynch, and the fact that it occurred largely due to apathy both on the end of ShikiShana (who had the right idea, just poor execution, as I had stated myself >_>) and the rest of Town, is nothing short of aggravating.

Alice Margatroid

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 21, 2010, 11:12:58 PM »
That's the thing. I don't know where I played badly outside of getting caught red-handed on Night 2, which was stupid town role luck. The Day 3 flailing, maybe, but what else was there?

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 21, 2010, 11:15:23 PM »
Wouldn't say it was stupid role luck at all. I figured either Cake or Dog would go, targeted Cake on the basis of them having a more useful role on the whole.

That said, I'd say one of the most stupid Town decisions in the game was accepting Killer Instinct, so... yeah. >_>

Roukanken

• Oh hey look I finally have an avatar
  • Denizen
  • About damn time, too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 21, 2010, 11:18:39 PM »
Okaaaaaay, I totally didn't deserve that. :V

Played like crap D1, to be honest - in fact, I asked the mod N1 if I was allowed to NK myself in a ragequit. Got tut-tutted, though, so I decided to just fight on and see if I could fluke with a hit in case I got lucky. If not, well, I managed to kill someone at least. Hitting lolcats was more or less a lucky shot. >_>

After that, I was mostly paranoid that scum would end up hitting me in which case I was pretty screwed regardless. As for hunting, I genuinely did believe that Touhou was Town, and for that I'm giving her credit. Base really managed to get away because so many Townies were just as bad - Bel-Air contributing next to nothing, Rick's last-minute rant on D2, Xbox being pretty horrible on every level...

That said, Shana and Xbox get credit for figuring out Touhou when everyone else was taken in. GJ.

And, uh, MotK represent...? (I have no idea who is who, sorry. >_>)

EDIT:
"You are now a Kappa Fanthing~. During the night, you can spin~ and change the target of someone's actions."
OH CRAP, YOU MENTIONED HINA BOTH TIMES YOUR ROLE CAME UP
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:27:23 PM by Roukanken »
<@Tanaka> You just have this aura in mafia that reminds me of a big eyed cute innocent puppy

Asuka Langley

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 21, 2010, 11:28:35 PM »
CATS: I meant at least one mislynch from day 3 onwards, not day 5. And I'd have had Boxed Air lynched if anything, so we wouldn't have 'lost' that.

Hijack: you were practically dead against the wall from all of the role play alone, and the jacket would have killed you. Sorry, but that's just about enough in itself, and had you utterly strangled. In terms of play, your tack changed considerably the minute that you started taking the flak, and your inability to think town out of the chaos at the start of day 3 dropped you massively in my opinion (by about mid-day 3 - my reaction at the start of day 3 was to clear too many people). It only became blazingly obvious right at the very end when you were like 'hey, if XBox proves himself then he's town, or definitely paired with Rick' and didn't, you know, stop. Not that I'll hold that particular point against you given that town had already totally imploded by then.

Yoshi: it was a coin toss. It wasn't automatic so it wasn't the scum kill. Seemed too stupid for it to be from !cake. Didn't expect it to be a killing power in any case, but anything seemed fine so long as I had it documented before accepting it. And oh, right, yeah, if that's the fluke that Hijack is talking about then lol.

!Cake: hilariously, you were fine the minute you hit me, because it castrated you so you were no longer a threat to scum (who were rightly terrified of the jacket), but not bad enough to undo the lolcats kill cred. You could have sat and done nothing for the rest of the game and probably still come close to winning. I assumed that was why you stopped caring in the slightest come like day 4 or thereabouts.

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 21, 2010, 11:30:42 PM »
I'm not even very good at finding scum myself, but this whole game felt like a gimme after a while.

This. Lolcat and combo were really blatant, and the other two weren't hard to figure out.  Town in general outside of Milhouse day one and advice dog didn't have good games.

I completely lost interest in day 3 with the image spamming. That wasn't cute or good scum play, it made me not even want to read the game. The mod really should have stepped in and stopped it.

I disagree.  While it was annoying as fuck, I would say it was good scum play.  What else is he going to do, being a sitting duck due to a supercop that had their role shown?  Nothing he says is going to be taken seriously at all, so his best bet is to make communication difficult and to serve as a distraction to the townies.  It doesn't hurt scum, since they can communicate outside the game topic.  

Alice Margatroid

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 21, 2010, 11:32:49 PM »
If most of what can be held against me is rolestuffs then I don't care, because that has zero bearing on play quality. (The jacket in particular I had plans for, so I don't hold that decision against myself.)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: March 21, 2010, 11:32:55 PM »
Making the topic physically difficult to load is well beyond the acceptable boundries of Mafia playing for me, and the image macro spamming did that.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:35:04 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Alice Margatroid

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 21, 2010, 11:35:29 PM »
EDIT:
"You are now a Kappa Fanthing~. During the night, you can spin~ and change the target of someone's actions."
OH CRAP, YOU MENTIONED HINA BOTH TIMES YOUR ROLE CAME UP
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

That was actually not intentional, but it's amusingly cute in retrospect.

Roukanken

• Oh hey look I finally have an avatar
  • Denizen
  • About damn time, too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 21, 2010, 11:36:39 PM »
!Cake: hilariously, you were fine the minute you hit me, because it castrated you so you were no longer a threat to scum (who were rightly terrified of the jacket), but not bad enough to undo the lolcats kill cred. You could have sat and done nothing for the rest of the game and probably still come close to winning. I assumed that was why you stopped caring in the slightest come like day 4 or thereabouts.
Honestly that was more a result of 'oh god words words words roles roles roles everyone looks terrible FFFFFFFFF-hey, easy case on Shana that no-one can hold against me! :D'
<@Tanaka> You just have this aura in mafia that reminds me of a big eyed cute innocent puppy

Asuka Langley

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: March 21, 2010, 11:37:06 PM »
Good for scum, yes.

Good for play, no.

I know my whining and raging right now is going to make this sound hypocritical to the extreme, but the first goal of mafia is to have fun, and being annoying as hell for days on end or however long it lasted is contradictory to this. Ignoring the actual physical factors like page load and crashing the forum that Halbarad complained about, which just meant it took it that much further across the line.

Hijack: sorry if I'm raining on your parade or something.

Oh so many ninjas.

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: March 21, 2010, 11:40:31 PM »
Making the topic physically difficult to load is well beyond the acceptable boundries of Mafia playing for me, and the image macro spamming did that.

And when that actually happened Gate stepped on it.  Unless you were having problems before the animations in which case I have no idea what your problem was, the static shots weren't really all that big.

Good for scum, yes.

Good for play, no.

I know my whining and raging right now is going to make this sound hypocritical to the extreme, but the first goal of mafia is to have fun, and being annoying as hell for days on end or however long it lasted is contradictory to this. Ignoring the actual physical factors like page load and crashing the forum that Halbarad complained about, which just meant it took it that much further across the line.

Hijack: sorry if I'm raining on your parade or something.

Oh so many ninjas.

So what, you think he should have just rolled over and played dead or something?  Frankly, all you have to do is turn off images in your browser temporarily and he's a total non-factor.  Add in that he did it all with the mod's blessing and you don't have a leg to stand on.  Hell, all you have to do is just scroll past his posts and he's just a minor annoyance at best.

Alice Margatroid

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 21, 2010, 11:42:05 PM »
I understand that you're frustrated, and rightfully so. I guess this is me being frustrated as well, because (like I've said a few times already) I felt like I had to work my ass off to make sure I stayed alive to the end, and the entirety of postgame (both here and on IRC) has been distaste with town for mucking things up (and rage at the Breaker for Day 3 but that's less relevant). I feel like all my efforts were wasted with the way people are talking like I could have sat there and done nothing and still won.

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #696 on: March 21, 2010, 11:43:11 PM »
I disagree.  While it was annoying as fuck, I would say it was good scum play.  What else is he going to do, being a sitting duck due to a supercop that had their role shown?  Nothing he says is going to be taken seriously at all, so his best bet is to make communication difficult and to serve as a distraction to the townies.  It doesn't hurt scum, since they can communicate outside the game topic.  

QFT

Now, in retrospect, a multi-post of text would have been preferable to the images, but the Post Enough To Hide Meaningful Dialogue is a valid scum tool once we're caught.  There is NO reason for scum to let town get any time to further discuss things and find another scum buddy once they've decided to lynch you.  It benefits town greatly to go 'Hey we've got scum, now let's re-start the day and see how much longer we can drag it out so we can find others'.  Time helps town and hurts scum.   In future games I certainly wouldn't multi-post images like this one, but constantly post so that it was hard to hold a decent discussion by town?  Yeah, I'd do that.  Loading problems certainly preclude an image spam, but a post spam with text when you've been positively identified and everyone agrees to lynch you is a valid tactic.  It encourages town to actually lynch scum instead of talking us to death.  Which is ALWAYS the way town goes.  The number of times town has lynched before deadline, even when they all agree someone is scum, is closer to nil than double digits.  
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 21, 2010, 11:44:22 PM »
Combo Breaker's last day play would have been unacceptable in any other mafia game, but this being the Meme Mafia made it a funny and flavor-fitting move, from this spectator's viewpoint.

EDIT: Spamspamspam is not a valid tactic to adopt into other mafia games, that's just being a dick. Just, yeah, flavor is perfect for it here.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

QuietRain

• Proven real at last
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #698 on: March 21, 2010, 11:45:26 PM »
And catnip to Touhou cause I think you did great.  I was certain you were dead about day 3 and the fact that you pulled it out and won us the day was great.
"Soul Meets Soul When Eyes Meet Eyes"

Asuka Langley

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 21, 2010, 11:46:21 PM »
Yes, standard scum play on being hit by a cop is to play stone cold dead.

And lol, make your mind up. First it's good scum play because it makes communication difficult. Now he's him not getting in the way. Joy!

So far as I see it, you think it's good that he can come in and just irritate town. I think it's bad game etiquette to do something for the sole purpose of annoying people for scum game. Pretty sure we can agree to disagree at that point.

Also, mods are known to be fallible, so the fact that Gate allowed it means that it has to be tolerated in that game, not that it was right that it happened. That's part of what after game discussions are for, after all.

The ninjas just keep getting faster.