Register

Author Topic: Tourney of Interest: Season 11, Week 3  (Read 3261 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Tourney of Interest: Season 11, Week 3
« on: March 16, 2010, 05:22:42 PM »
Reicher- iii v Rika- v
Jack- v v Chris- iiii
Yuri- iii v Lambda- ii
Taupy- iii v Orlandu- i

Fir- vi v Kratos- ii
Marta- ii v Shadow- i
Dorothy- i v Fei-iiii
Annie- iiii v Maya

Malak- i v Nergal- iiii
Ulrika- vi v Adell
Nera- v v Meru- ii
Mark- i v Flay- v

Micaiah- x v Blastoise- i
Sunset- v v Luceid- ii
Goofy- vii v Tony
T3- iiii  v Llew- i

Godlike

Garm (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World)
Guv (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King) vs Violetta (Grandia III)
Rika (Phantasy Star IV) vs Jack Russel (Radiata Stories)
Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) vs Taupy (Sands of Destruction)

Heavy

Zaalbar (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic) vs Wylfred (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume)
Jowy (Suikoden II) vs Tidus (Final Fantasy X)
Fir (Fire Emblem: The Sword of Seals) vs Marta Lauldi (Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World)
Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears) vs Annie Eilenberg (Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island)

Middle

Bob (Suikoden II) vs Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)
Bianca (Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride) vs Estellise Sidos Heurassein (Tales of Vesperia)
Nergal (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Ulrika Mulberry (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy)
Nera (Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis)

Light

Volug (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Mightyena (Pokémon)
Raspberyl (Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice) vs Gordin (Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon)
Micaiah (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Sunset (Live a Live)
Goofy (Kingdom Hearts Series) vs T3-M4 (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: Tourney of Interest: Season 11, Week 3
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »
Godlike

Garm (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World): There's that overkill MT.
Guv (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King) vs Violetta (Grandia III): Is Stream Killer melee? Match seems to hinge on that.

Heavy

Jowy (Suikoden II) vs Tidus (Final Fantasy X): OHKOs very easily, definitely isn't blitzed out before then.

Light

Volug (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Mightyena (Pokémon): Hmm. Volug probably wants to Halfshift here. He 5HKOs after Intimidate, while Mightyena 3HKOs him. But Mightyena triggers counters, so the 5HKO happens first when combined with Volug's greater initiative. Granted, Mightyena has Scary Face, but this... doesn't let him sneak a second double in before Volug's third turn. However, when combined with SAND ATTACK as the second action, we get... V-M-M-V-M-V-M-M. That's enough for Mightyena to win, provided one of Volug's four attacks miss, and one should. Good fight!

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 06:39:05 PM »
Godlike

Garm (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World)- Aaahahaha no.
Rika (Phantasy Star IV) vs Jack Russel (Radiata Stories)- Evasion.

Heavy

Middle

Bob (Suikoden II) vs Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)- Think Bob can OHKO in Werewolf form? I should stat topic him to be sure though.
Bianca (Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride) vs Estellise Sidos Heurassein (Tales of Vesperia)- Magic immunity shuts down Bianca hard.  Upgrade, Estelle.
Nera (Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis)- I always kneejerk against the wives.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 06:49:30 PM »
Zaalbar (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic) vs Wylfred (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) - Plume skill nonsense, most likely.

Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears) vs Annie Eilenberg (Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island) - Yamikei might not quiiiiite OHKO, but neither does Annie and Fei's faster.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 01:48:13 AM »
Godlike

Garm (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World)
Rika (Phantasy Star IV) vs Jack Russel (Radiata Stories))

Middle

Bianca (Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride) vs Estellise Sidos Heurassein (Tales of Vesperia)
Nergal (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Ulrika Mulberry (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) Puts up the elemental shield and Nergal now fails to do damage.

Light

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 02:13:58 AM »
Ulrika's elemental shield doesn't work on Light/Dark damage. This kinda fails to matter when she has an armor that makes her immune to Darkness, though.

Godlike

Garm (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) - Cleans Jenova Meido's house.
Guv (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King) vs Violetta (Grandia III) - uuuuuh

Heavy

Jowy (Suikoden II) vs Tidus (Final Fantasy X) - lol ohko.
Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears) vs Annie Eilenberg (Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island) - OHKOs, isn't OHKOed back even if he's slower. There it goes.

Middle

Bob (Suikoden II) vs Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) - I think Odie... doesn't get OHKOed and the free opening+counter are just too much.
Nergal (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Ulrika Mulberry (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) - lolgal meets Dark immunity, weeps like a little girl.
Nera (Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis) - Immunes sleep? Check. Avoids the 2HKO and can't be chipped through Last Stand? Check. Yeah, feels like his fight.

Light

Fails.

[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 03:10:13 AM »
Godlike

Guv (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King) vs Violetta (Grandia III) - Kneejerking that she can do this. Not sure.
Rika (Phantasy Star IV) vs Jack Russel (Radiata Stories) - Jack's a beast, but his attacks are most certainly evadable. That's game.

Heavy

Zaalbar (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic) vs Wylfred (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) - I allow Ceripha(sp?) and Lockswell's plumes. So paralyze(unless KotOR had an equip that could immune that?) does the trick.
Jowy (Suikoden II) vs Tidus (Final Fantasy X) - One sided
Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears) vs Annie Eilenberg (Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island) - One sided

Middle

Bob (Suikoden II) vs Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) - See Snow, really.
Nera (Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis) - And see Snow again.

Light

Volug (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Mightyena (Pokémon) - Intimidate does it's job.
Micaiah (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Sunset (Live a Live) - Kneejerk. Could be wrong, don't really care.
Goofy (Kingdom Hearts Series) vs T3-M4 (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic) - Not thinking about this. Just. Not.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 04:52:52 AM »
Heavy

Fir (Fire Emblem: The Sword of Seals) vs Marta Lauldi (Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World) - ...unless Auto-Life shenanigans can save Marta.

Light

"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 12:21:12 PM »
Volug (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Mightyena (Pokémon) - Yeah, I'll buy NEB's analysis.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 02:46:45 AM »
Godlike

Garm (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) - Lady
Guv (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King) vs Violetta (Grandia III) - Violetta
Rika (Phantasy Star IV) vs Jack Russel (Radiata Stories) - Rika
Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) vs Taupy (Sands of Destruction) - Yuri one-rounds first.

Heavy

Zaalbar (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic) vs Wylfred (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) - Wyl.
Jowy (Suikoden II) vs Tidus (Final Fantasy X) - Jowy.
Fir (Fire Emblem: The Sword of Seals) vs Marta Lauldi (Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World) - Fir.
Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears) vs Annie Eilenberg (Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island) - Can't vote.

Middle

Bob (Suikoden II) vs Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) - Odie. See Snow + Odie's advantageous matchup against wolves. AGAIN!
Bianca (Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride) vs Estellise Sidos Heurassein (Tales of Vesperia) - Estelle. Easily.
Nergal (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Ulrika Mulberry (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) - Can't vote.
Nera (Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis) - Can't vote.

Light

Can't vote. How did this happen?

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 06:36:49 AM »

Middle

Bianca (Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride) vs Estellise Sidos Heurassein (Tales of Vesperia) - More pink hair
Nergal (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Ulrika Mulberry (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) - Better turban
Nera (Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride) vs Flay Gunnar (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al Revis) - Aw man DQ5 clonewives so exciting

Light

Volug (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Mightyena (Pokémon) - Superior ingame use, you all know it to be true
Micaiah (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Sunset (Live a Live) - See if Micaiah had a cowboy hat she would be 1000x better
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 07:14:34 AM »
Quote from: Djinny
Light

Can't vote. How did this happen?

Simple, because you haven't listened to Elfboy/Meeple and played FE10 yet.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 07:34:44 AM »
Actually... I've played enough of FE10 that I feel confortable voting on it for board tourneys from the stat topics.  It's Pokemon-LaL-Dis3-KotOR that's causing problems.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 08:28:32 AM »
Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) vs Taupy (Sands of Destruction) - Yuri one-rounds first.

Wait.

What?

A) Taupy's faster.  131% speed and I don't see how any kind of Yuri speed respect would be more than that.

B) Even if Yuri got a turn, Taupy has 192% evasion, and Yuri only has evadable physicals.  Even if you average evasion, Taupy should be way over 100% because everyone else sucks at evade.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 09:20:52 AM »
Clearly Djinn is voting on the PS3 ToV form that has the 100x mult Mystic Arte gimmick or whatever requiring no contact with the enemy.  (Yuri shouldn't have beaten Lambda even)

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 09:45:43 AM »
Godlike

Guv (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King) vs Violetta (Grandia III)- Riiiight, most of Guv's monsters are probably Melee attackers, which Violetta can mostly just negate.
Rika (Phantasy Star IV) vs Jack Russel (Radiata Stories)

Heavy

Middle
Bob (Suikoden II) vs Odie (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)- Bob OHKO in Werewolf form Super? Bob doesn't have 90% PC Damage damage! (Before Odie laughs at him thanks to typing stuff, yeah)
Nergal (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Ulrika Mulberry (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy)
...into the nightfall.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 01:28:31 PM »

Wait.

What?

A) Taupy's faster.  131% speed and I don't see how any kind of Yuri speed respect would be more than that.

B) Even if Yuri got a turn, Taupy has 192% evasion, and Yuri only has evadable physicals.  Even if you average evasion, Taupy should be way over 100% because everyone else sucks at evade.

I was under the impression that Taupy would 2HKO? I was just kneejerking that Yuri OHKOs before Taupy can kill. Especially since I see Yuri as relatively tanky.

Not really sure how to take the evasion, though, so that's a fair point. If I take it as Taupy has a chance to dodge each of Yuri's swings, he manages to mess up Yuri's combo such that Yuri doesn't get the Overlimit-filling skill to activate, then Yuri's ridiculously long combo never goes off. If I view the combo as essentially one long attack once it hits, then Taupy evades it turn 1 (and turn 2, it seems).

Changing my vote.
Godlike:
Taupy(SoD) vs. Yuri Lowell(ToV)

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 03:41:14 PM »
Yuri's Mystic Arte is unevadable if you give him credit as being able to get it.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 04:50:30 PM »
Dhyer: Not sure what kind of leniency you allow on Call Team, but it's pretty easy to put together 2 powerful teams with magic users.  If you don't allow B class monsters the team becomes... weaker, but still exists. (Can't vote on G3 though so don't know how much of a difference this makes.)  Also, this topic owns my voting!

Heavy

Jowy (Suikoden II) vs Tidus (Final Fantasy X)- Yeah, Tidus can get off about 5 turns if he wants!  And then die.

Light

Raspberyl (Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice) vs Gordin (Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon)-  In D3 there are counters, but I'm pretty sure you don't counter range, but in non FE games without counters I usually let people counter range if they have obvious range attacks.  Either way, Rapsberyl has AOE spells and could easily avoid counters, she also has an argument for countering.  She has slightly below average durability, but Gordin isn't exactly a damage God and he has archer resist and is probably 3HKOing.  Raspberyl wins with counters easily and since she's going first and should 3HKO as well probably wins without counters too.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 07:33:34 PM »
Not really sure how to take the evasion, though, so that's a fair point. If I take it as Taupy has a chance to dodge each of Yuri's swings, he manages to mess up Yuri's combo such that Yuri doesn't get the Overlimit-filling skill to activate, then Yuri's ridiculously long combo never goes off. If I view the combo as essentially one long attack once it hits, then Taupy evades it turn 1 (and turn 2, it seems).

How does Yuri hit over 100% evasion ever?  And after Taupy's first turn it jumps to >400%.  How many attacks Yuri gets is irrelevant since none of them are going to hit.  Taupy spoils Yuri so freaking hard here.  Especially since he's not human!!!

Raspberyl (Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice) vs Gordin (Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon)-  In D3 there are counters, but I'm pretty sure you don't counter range, but in non FE games without counters I usually let people counter range if they have obvious range attacks.  Either way, Rapsberyl has AOE spells and could easily avoid counters, she also has an argument for countering.  She has slightly below average durability, but Gordin isn't exactly a damage God and he has archer resist and is probably 3HKOing.  Raspberyl wins with counters easily and since she's going first and should 3HKO as well probably wins without counters too.

Raspberyl can only counter with her basic physical, which... isn't going to do much damage.  I don't know Gordin so she may still win, but yeah, just saying.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 10:07:29 PM »
Yeah that's the problem Tal.  Typically I let mages/ranged users counters FE range.  Disgaea... has it's own forms of counters though and IIRC they are melee only anyway, which would give it an unfair disadvantage against FE since I let ranged from other games counter.  Not sure how to interpret that when putting them against a FE fighter since I haven't seen it yet.  In this case it doesn't matter since I think it's 3HKO each.  Rasp goes first so that's that, but if she was fighting someone not quite as fail then counters would become an issue!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 10:40:43 PM »
Dhyer: Not sure what kind of leniency you allow on Call Team, but it's pretty easy to put together 2 powerful teams with magic users.  If you don't allow B class monsters the team becomes... weaker, but still exists. (Can't vote on G3 though so don't know how much of a difference this makes.) 

The problem is monster magic in DQ8 is amazingly awful at damage, and they can still just pull off zomg awsum fyzikalz, wasting their turn on Violetta. That's just not going to work well.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 10:43:59 PM »
Godlike

Garm (Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume) vs Lady (Shadow Hearts: From the New World) - I have a lot more respect for Garm then most people and a lot less then most for lady. Garm's throwing out massive damage on its and Lady's turn so I think that makes up for the hp difference.
Rika (Phantasy Star IV) vs Jack Russel (Radiata Stories) - I'm not going to vote because I'm personally confused with the whole evade thing. Evade happening in PS4 was rarity for me. Don't see the evade hype.

Light

Volug (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) vs Mightyena (Pokémon) - Who goes first? Both are the same exact speed right? Well considering Mightyena easily wins if it goes first I'll go with it.
Raspberyl (Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice) vs Gordin (Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon) - Gordin actually has good damage and more magic defence then most. He 2HKOs and is countering Raspberyl's magic.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 10:48:03 PM »
Rika (Phantasy Star IV) vs Jack Russel (Radiata Stories) - I'm not going to vote because I'm personally confused with the whole evade thing. Evade happening in PS4 was rarity for me. Don't see the evade hype.

That's because just about every relevant PS4 boss ever has ITE physicals. Try using Saner on randoms lategame and see how often their physicals hit. It's pretty normal to not see evasion happening often otherwise, since buffing on PS4 random battles is pretty inefficient (a.k.a. how often are you going to use Saner/Deban/Shift/Barrier on them when you should be MT bumrushing them instead for better resource allotment and better odds of ending the battle without taking damage?), and PS4's base evasion rates are quite low.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 10:51:32 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 03:08:18 AM »
That explains it perfectly thanks. Good evade coupled with fulll healing is quite the nightmare for physical fighters.