Register

Author Topic: Rate the characters 2: RATE HARDER!  (Read 32875 times)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the characters 2: RATE HARDER!
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 12:11:15 AM »
Final Fantasy 6

Terra: 6/10. Would be better if I didn't have so much annoyance recruiting her later.
Locke: 5/10. Inoffensive and at times amusing.
Edgar: 9/10. Hah.
Sabin: 6/10. Amusing.
Shadow: 3/10. lol
Celes: 8/10.
Gau: 2/10.
Cyan: 2/10
Setzer: 4/10. Doesn't have much.
Mog: 8/10. Slam dancing moogle.
Strago: 4/10
Relm: 4/10.
Gogo DNR
Umaro DNR
Banon: 3/10

Gestahl: 7/10. He's good at his role.
Kefka: 5/10. There are parts of him I find infuriating and parts I find awesome. Balances out to a boring score.
Leo: 5/10. This, on the other hand, is just a boring score.

New game:

Mana Khemia 2

Raze: 7/10. Whipping boy of the universe. Or just Lily.
Lily: 9/10. Wins.
Whim: 8/10. Also wins.
Et: 5/10. No real opinion.
Puniyo: 6/10. An evil child.
Jiro: 7/10
Kichi: 7/10
Taro: 7/10
Yun: 2/10.
Ulrika: 6/10. Pretty funny.
Chloe: 8/10.
Goto: 0/10
Pepperoni: 6/10
Enna: 2/10. Shut the fuck up you emo brat
Flay: 9/10. Mwahahaha~ I will unleash this GIANT MONSTER ON THE SCHOOL. GOOD LUCK! Flay as the VP is Godlike.
Tony: 6/10. Not bad.
Zeppel: 4/10. Such a sniffling shit compared to MK1.
Marta: 3/10. Meh.
Reicher: 5/10. Crazy Pedo-Vayne
Sasalina: no rating
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 02:40:40 AM »
Final Fantasy 6

Terra - 8/10. 
Locke - 7/10.  I don't know why, but I just can't get too excited about Locke.  Giving him 7 because he's objectively good, but I just don't feel it.
Edgar - 8/10.  Tons of fun as a character.  His scenes with his brother are great, he's got a tunneling castle, and he's a shameless lout, to boot.
Sabin - 6/10.  All these points are for his scenes with his brother.  He's pretty dull otherwise.
Shadow - 8/10.  His method of recruitment, method by which you uncover his backstory, and the content of said backstory make him great fun all around.  Plus, "Memento ring can be equipped by Relm and Shadow?  Huh?  Oh.  Ooooooooh."
Celes - 8/10. 
Gau - 6/10.  I really enjoy Gau's backstory, and especially how happy he is to discover his father is alive, even though the fellow is hurtful and crazy.
Cyan - 8/10.  Boring, but major, major points for his dream, possibly the conceptually coolest optional dungeon ever.
Setzer - 6/10.  Just kinda there for the most part, which is a shame.  Points for instigating the opera sequence.
Mog - 6/10.  Also just kinda there, but since he's a moogle, I'll forgive him for it.
Strago - 5/10.  Could have been done better.
Relm - 6/10.  I find it really funny how the entire cast's hearts melt at the sight of her.  The scene with Umaro is priceless.
Gogo - 3/10.  Points for having a neat concept for a dungeon.
Umaro - 2/10.  Really just there.
Banon - 2/10.  Not at all as compelling as he should be based on his importance to the plot.

Gestahl - 2/10.  I don't think Gestahl does a single interesting thing the entire game. 
Kefka - 9/10.  This is how you do crazy.
Leo - 5/10.  Not very interesting, but he serves his role in the plot.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 05:36:12 PM »
I'm updating this tonight. Vote now or forever consign your opinions to the gaping maw of Xorntoro.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2010, 02:23:15 AM »
Updating! I'm locking the topic as I do so.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 02:35:29 AM »
The update!

Classic Game:

Final Fantasy 6

Terra: 6.35, 17 votes.
Locke: 6.62, 16 votes.
Edgar: 7.31, 16 votes.
Sabin: 5.56, 16 votes.
Shadow: 4.64, 17 votes.
Celes: 6.70, 17 votes.
Gau: 4.00, 18 votes.
Cyan: 4.29, 17 votes.
Setzer: 5.18, 16 votes.
Mog: 4.00, 18 votes.
Strago: 3.93, 16 votes.
Relm: 4.60, 15 votes.
Gogo: 2.00, 11 votes, 4 DNR.
Umaro: 2.45, 11 votes, 4 DNR.
Banon: 3.20, 15 votes, 2 DNR.
Gestahl: 4.12, 16 votes.
Kefka: 7.38, 18 votes.
Leo: 5.00, 17 votes.

New game:

Mana Khemia 2

Raze: 6.42, 7 votes.
Lily: 8.85, 7 votes.
Whim: 7.00, 7 votes.
Et: 6.00, 7 votes.
Puniyo: 7.00, 7 votes.
Jiro: 6.00, 5 votes, 1 DNR.
Kichi: 5.60, 4 votes, 1 DNR.
Taro: 5.80, 4 votes, 1 DNR.
Yun: 3.71, 7 votes.
Ulrika: 6.14, 7 votes.
Chloe: 7.16, 6 votes.
Goto: 1.00, 6 votes.
Pepperoni: 4.16, 6 votes.
Enna: 3.85, 7 votes.
Flay: 7.71, 7 votes.
Tony: 6.71m 7 votes.
Zeppel: 4.14, 7 votes.
Marta: 2.66, 6 votes.
Reicher: 5.33, 6 votes.
Sasalina: 4.80, 5 votes.

---

The top ten:

1.Lily: 8.85, 7 votes.
2.Flay: 7.71, 7 votes.
3.Kefka: 7.38, 18 votes.
4.Edgar: 7.31, 16 votes.
5.Chloe: 7.16, 6 votes.
6t.Whim: 7.00, 7 votes.
6t.Puniyo: 7.00, 7 votes.
8.Tony: 6.71m 7 votes.
9.Celes: 6.70, 17 votes.
10.Locke: 6.62, 16 votes.

The ten lowest:

1.Goto: 1.00, 6 votes.
2.Gogo: 2.00, 11 votes, 4 DNR.
3.Umaro: 2.45, 11 votes, 4 DNR.
4.Marta: 2.66, 6 votes.
5.Banon: 3.20, 15 votes, 2 DNR.
6.Yun: 3.71, 7 votes.
7.Enna: 3.85, 7 votes.
8.Strago: 3.93, 16 votes.
9t.Gau: 4.00, 18 votes.
9t.Mog: 4.00, 18 votes.

---

Okay, okay, use .5s. I'll deal.

No huge surprises round 1, so let's get moving onwards! Oh wait, I forgot one valid FF6 character, so he'll get a slot here.

Make up exam:

FF6:

Ultros

Classic game:

FFX:

Tidus
Yuna
Wakka
Lulu
Kimarhi
Auron
Rikku

Seymour
Sin/Jecht
Yunalesca
Mika
Braska
Kinoc

New game:

Mana Khemia:

Vayne
Jessica
Nicole
Flay
Pamela
Roxis
Anna
Muppy

Zeppel
Tony
Renee
Isolde
Sulphur

Voting closes in roughly a week.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 04:35:46 AM by Dunefar »

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 04:56:19 AM »
Make up exam:

FF6:

Ultros: 0/10. Stupid, annoying, unfunny gimmick. The fact that he constantly shows up grates on my nerves every time I play FF6. Fuck him.

Classic game:

FFX:

Tidus: 1/10. You know, I could stand Tidus for most of the game. He was an emo twit, but at least he had a good reason to be. His circumstances are intensely fucked up and he's dealing with a dystopic world and situation. Fair enough. Then, out of the blue, the boy's balls drop. He says it's his story? Oh fuck you, no no no no no no. It's not your story, fuck you for thinking it, you self absorbed piece of shit. That's your grand conclusion, an egotistical pile of wretched vanity?  Go guzzle a gallon of bleach while listening to Linkin Park while updating your Livejournal about your mean old Dad.

If that wasn't clear: FUCK YOU AND FUCK YOUR ENTITLED ASS, TIDUS.
Yuna 5/10. Eh. I used to vaguely dislike her, then vaguely like her. After time she's settled into a pleasant apathy.
Wakka: 2/10. He gets a point for interesting religious conflict, but he's ultimately boring and irritating. Ya?
Lulu: 4/10. Not offensive but little else. Loses a point for her lightning dodging minigame plus belt overload.
Kimarhi: 3/10. The best straight man in the world isn't funny when the comedy around him sucks. That sorta what Kimarhi has to deal with. He's not terrible by himself but he rarely has much to work with.
Auron: 9/10. An interesting character that isn't annoying? A good backstory? Some signs of maturity!? I liked that he was Unsent and admired the sense of fanatical duty that let him finish up his affairs. As a side note, since he has HP and stats, as do other Unsent you fight, does that mean sufficient will to resist the Farplane can grant functional immortality in Spira? I think Seymour might've said something about this but I forget.
Rikku: 2/10. Like, like I'm Rikku, y'know?

Seymour: 2/10. Annoying. I could bitch here and whine, but that's really what it comes down to. He's not a good villain, just a time wasting wanker.
Sin/Jecht: 9/10. I'm not a huge fan of Jecht, but Sin has a damn strong presence throughout the game. He really sells the living force of disaster, bravo to FFX for getting that right.
Yunalesca: 2/10. Plot device with a gimmick battle. Sure, why not?
Mika: Don't remember.
Braska: 5/10. Average.
Kinoc: Don't remember.

New game:

Mana Khemia:

Vayne: 6/10. I like Vayne, his quiet depression is well executed if boring. He's a wallflower and done in a believable enough way. In a way, I wanna congratulate MK for doing a somewhat untraditional hero in that regard.
Jessica: 7/10. Bite him, bite him, yeah! I like Jessica the same way you might like that sincere, sunny girl you share a class with. It's not deep, but she brightens your day.
Nicole: 3/10. Gimmick catgirl.
Flay: 2/10. I don't like Flay, he's the sort of character I find tiresome and overloud. Loud idiots bore me.
Pamela: 10/10. Scaaaaaaaaaaaaary. I really like Pamela and like that she isn't some overly saccarine girl, but instead a bit self centered. It works in the context of the game, though in a lot of others you'd want to strangle her.
Roxis: 7/10. A wanker but one who has well defined motivations. Bonus points for how his mana rips on him without mercy. He does become marginally less of a prick as the game goes on.
Anna: 3/10. Rawr, superpowers in cut scenes and a neat freak.  Has some decent scenes but nothing stands out.
Muppy: 1/10. Gimmick.

Zeppel: 5/10. There.
Tony: 4/10. There and gets his ass kicked a lot.
Renee: 6/10. Renee's over all this shit, but she goes along with it because she (probably) has a crush on Tony. I respect that, someone going along with a crappy thing for someone else's sake.
Isolde: 4/10. Meh. No strong opinion.
Sulphur: DNR. Kitty.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 05:23:49 AM »
Make up exam:

FF6:

Ultros - Oh hey it's a plotless purple octopus who jams up your opera.  Gets 5/10 for comedy.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 05:26:25 AM »
Ultros: 8.5/10. Hilarity. Never fails to bring a smile whenever he shows up.

FFX:

Tidus: 7.5/10. I like Tidus. I think he's a fairly believable, unromantic portrayal of someone thrown into a totally different, and rather scary world. (aside from him being a competent fighter anyway) He's a bit of an ass and I totally get why he annoys people, but overall he works, and his relationships with other characters (Yuna, Auron, and Wakka in particular) are well-done.
Yuna: 10/10. Yeah everyone saw this coming. She's dealt a bit of a shitty hand but handles it with such grace and determination, and the stuff later in the game is just kinda jaw-dropping. Probably a rare RPG character I outright admire. You can argue she's too perfect, but eh, I dunno, she's really shy and a bit dependent and fatalistic at first, but seeing the world and meeting Tidus makes her grow into something far more.
Wakka: 9/10. Badly needed for the game to work. The religious zealot being the game's overall most likable guy was intentionally jarring and highly unusual for a genre whose religious zealots are typically FFT/BoF2/Xenogears wackos or out to destroy the world. He develops and grows nicely, too.
Lulu: 5.5/10. Has a few catty lines that amuse me, but overall not too special.
Kimarhi: 4/10. Fine, but needed to actually do more, and his rivalry with Biran/Yenke sucked. His best scene is one he's not even on screen for! (Yuna's sphere)
Auron: 8/10. Man, I so often hate this archetype. But Auron is actually well-justified for what he does. He doesn't keep bullshit secrets unless necessary (dropping the Jecht/Sin bomb as early as he does was whoa), he's driven and has good backstory, and he's even funny.
Rikku: 5/10. I like her interaction with some characters (Wakka in particular) but she herself, meh.

Seymour: 6/10. I dunno. I like Seymour well enough, I think he succeds at being generally creepy, and I like how he's consigned to irrelevance by the end. But... needed more overall, relative to his ample screentime.
Sin/Jecht: 7.5/10. Not feeling uber levels of Jecht love today, but he's still pretty good. He's a pretty detestable person and subjectively I get seriously pissed off by the hypers of his who ignore this. But he IS damn well-developped and makes a great personal antagonist for Tidus.
Yunalesca: 4/10. Really like her role in the game's backstory which makes her an uber-bitch and her one scene is -cool-, although it's mostly not her. Still, yeah, needs more obviously for a real score.
Mika: 7/10. Crazy high priest. His final scene is just kinda haunting.
Braska: 5/10. Hard time caring.
Kinoc: 6/10. Douche.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 05:44:31 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2010, 05:39:38 AM »
FF6:

Ultros: 8/10. Pretty amusing.

Classic game:

FFX:

Tidus: 3.5/10. I dunno, I think at times he gets some fun character development, and then other times he fills me with seething rage.
Yuna: 6.5/10. Not bad. I find her a little dull sometimes, but she's good enough.
Wakka: 9/10. I like Wakka! I think he's a believable zealot who slowly comes to realize the problems with his zealotry and his religion.
Lulu: 4/10. Kinda boring, but not bad.
Kimarhi 1/10. Has no character.
Auron: 8/10. Pretty awesome; I do like a lot of what they do with him. They make him a successful mentor character and quite realistic.
Rikku: 8/10. Rikku's back! I just think she's full of life and intensely cheerful without being too annoying.

Seymour: 3/10. Ehhh.
Sin/Jecht: 8/10. Menacing presence on the world.
Yunalesca: 4.5/10. Kind of an interesting backstory. I like the plot point more than her herself though.
Mika: 5/10. Pretty neat.
Braska: 5/10.
Kinoc: 6/10. Makes you hate him kinda like (Lord) Yuna.

New game:

Mana Khemia:

Vayne: 4/10. A bore in a pretty silly cast. Super straight man, massive wuss. Points for the Flay ending, which amuses me highly.
Jessica: 4/10. She's okay, sort of boring.
Nicole: 2/10. Noooooooooooo!
Flay: 9.5/10. Awesomeness incarnate.
Pamela: 1.5/10. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Roxis: 7/10. Wanktastic and constantly mocked as he deserves.
Anna: 4/10.
Muppy: 7/10. Only has a few good scenes, but dammit I love those.

Zeppel: 7/10. Much cooler in this incarnation.
Tony: 8.5/10. So surly. So funny.
Renee: 9/10. At first you think she will be boring and then you realize she is not Antenora but the hilariously sarcastic sidekick.
Isolde: 2/10. uh
Sulphur: 6/10. Funny.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 01:21:50 AM by Ciato »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2010, 06:02:59 AM »
FF6:

Ultros- 6/10.  Don't tease the octopus.

FFX:

Tidus- 7/10.  Even upon replays, I always feel like Tidus deserves gravity defying, physics abusing kicks to the balls for his behavior in Luca.  But...
Aside from that there's just a lot right about his character arc.  He's... even at his most immature, what comes off as a sense of entitlement is really him being the last sane man.  Because he's not steep in a thousand years of religious brainwashing, he can look at the system and realize it's fucked beyond measure.  And then of course he matures and... blah, don't feel like going into it too much.  Already just sorta rambling.
Yuna- 6/10.  I like the dramatic scenes at the end but she puts up with more than she should and, at least sitting here now, it grates a little.
Wakka- 7/10.  I really, really hated Wakka the first time I played.  The whole religious-oriented bigotry presses a strong button for me.  On subsequent playthroughs, I really dug the big brother vibe, and felt like he was properly humbled over his earlier idiocy during the major reveals. 
Lulu- 5/10.  She sometimes feels like a bit of a null, someone who's 90% exposition and the remainder a bit character with a so-so story.  Kinda like her anyway though.
Kimarhi- 3/10.  A friend of mine used to joke that Kimarhi should have been a Mortal Kombat character, because the name was too perfect in its announcer's voice.  "Kimarhi wins.  Flawless victory.'  Sadly, this also serves to remind me that most Mortal Kombat characters are deeper and more interesting than Kimarhi.
Auron- 8/10.  Yeah. 
Rikku- 6/10.  Bubbly and fun but is more of a mirror than a character in her own right sometimes.

Seymour- 5/10.  Hm.  I dunno, he drives the midgame well enough, and has an adequate creepy priest vibe.  Not a lot else though.
Sin/Jecht-  8/10.  Works.
Yunalesca- 6/10.  She's pretty effective with her limited screen time, but I feel like maybe more could have been done to build up to her.
Mika- 3/10.  Meh, there.
Braska- 6/10.  The message in the bottle thing was pretty cool.  he's nothing great beyond that, but the presentation is worth an extra point.
Kinoc- 4/10.  Better at 'meh, there' than Mika.
Write-in Maechen- 8/10.  Quite apart from being a great plot device, I do like the character he brings to his stories.  We never learn anything about him or his history (... in FFX) and yet we all know him well.

New game:

Mana Khemia:

Vayne- 6/10.  Works.
Jessica- 6/10.  Gets too serious for Mana Khemia plot to function.  Likable before that.
Nicole- 5/10.  There.  At least the interaction with Muppy works though.
Flay- 8/10.  The Flay.
Pamela- 7/10.  Scary~
Roxis- 5/10.  Yaoi~
Anna- 7/10.  Toro~
Muppy- 4/10.  Yes, I'm aware I'm giving Nikki more credit for their interaction than him.  Just bored me.

Zeppel- 4/10.
Tony- 6/10.  Seeing him fail to be a super villain is smile-worthy.
Renee- 6/10.  Works.
Isolde- 5/10.  Game needed more on the whole her/Theofrastus bit.
Sulpher- 6/10.  Kitty~
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 06:33:34 AM »
FF6:

Ultros- 6/10.  Ultros makes me laugh and thus, does what he is supposed to do.

Classic game:

FFX:

Tidus- 2/10. Fuck. You. Your dad was not NEARLY as mean to you as I would have been, you little shit. On the other hand you were almost tolerable when you were busting the Aurochs' chops for not having any balls, which makes you better than...

Yuna- 0/10. LOOK AT HOW GOOD A PERSON I AM. I AM SUCH A GOOD PERSON AND THE GAME WANTS YOU TO KNOW. Also, an absolutely terrible voice actor. At no point did I ever want Yuna on my screen, which is probably half the reason I hate FFX so much.

Wakka- 7/10. Wakka's pretty okay. He develops well as a character, mostly, and he does do the natural denial thing.

Lulu- 3/10. Isn't her most significant character development outside the first couple hours a throwaway line at the beginning of a sidequest?

Kimarhi- 5/10. Has the good sense to stay out of the game's story.

Auron- 8/10. Best of the lot, even if he is pretty cliche sometimes. I found the looks back at the old him, with Braska and Jecht. to be the most interesting part of the game.

Rikku- 2/10. Pederasts need someone, too.

Seymour- 2/10. At the very end, they turn him in to someone with fucking mother issues again. Fail.

Sin/Jecht- 9/10. Jecht is the fucking man.

Yunalesca- 2/10. Plot device, obnoxious boss fight.

Mika- 3/10. He was kind of crazy and old, I guess.

Braska- 4/10. Milquetoast.

Kinoc- 1/10. Wasn't he some fat guy who was Auron's friend?

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 06:57:17 AM »
FFX:

Tidus: 5. I like the situation that Tidus is placed is far more than Tidus himself. I think it's structuring is fantastic, but as a character he's...okay.
Yuna: 4. Really doesn't do much for me. Bland.
Wakka: 9. Great and interesting story arc.
Lulu: 5. Doesn't really exist much, but gets 2 points for bitchery, and loses one because she just kind of sucked despite being a bitch.
Kimarhi: 3. He's there
Auron: 9
Rikku: 7. Fully realized character with a lot of decent quirks.

Seymour: 3. Dies, and then I keep wonder why the hell Yuna doesn't even try to send him when she has the opportunity (even if the opportunities are slim)
Sin/Jecht: 7. Works really well for what is was.
Yunalesca: 5

New game:

Mana Khemia:

Vayne: 4. He's...there.
Jessica: 8. Really like Jessica. Sunny sadist.
Nicole: 6. Probably making me give her the highest score in the topic...
Flay: 9. Wins
Pamela: 8. Irreverent selfish bitch.
Roxis: 2. STFU.
Anna: 2. Crazy fluctuation. Sometimes she's wildly and out there and crazy. This is good. Sometimes she's a horrible bore and a giant drag. -2 off for her ending, which basically paints her as something willing to cheat even when her cheating can lead to someone's else death. Really abhor her ending with fiery passion.
Muppy: 7. Amusing.

Zeppel: 3.
Tony: 3
Renee: 7
Isolde: 3. Don't be mysterious unless you have a really good reason.
Sulphur: 5
...into the nightfall.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2010, 08:10:47 AM »
Make up exam:

FF6:

Ultros 7/10 amusing enough

Classic game:

FFX:

Tidus 3/10 I need FOOOOD!
Yuna  4/10 boring doormat, terrible VA
Wakka 7/10 actually come to think of it he was a good 'zealot has crisis of faith' archetype, so I'll give him a couple points
Lulu 5/10 whatevs
Kimarhi 5/10 whatevs
Auron 8/10 cool dude
Rikku 6/10 she's alright i guess

Seymour 7/10 he is an asshole you like to beat up, but the mother complex is just weird
Sin/Jecht 8/10 Jecht is a pretty well done character
Yunalesca 5/10 barely there
Mika 5/10 barely there
Braska 5/10 barely there
Kinoc 5/10 barely there

New game:

Mana Khemia:

Vayne 5/10 Milquetoast
Jessica 6/10 amused me slightly. slightly.
Nicole 2/10 I don't need to explain this
Flay 9/10 Great character or greatest character? You decide
Pamela 1/10 hello I am a huge cunt this is supposed to make you like me for some reason. VA makes me wish I was deaf.
Roxis 5/10 eh
Anna 7/10 amusing enough
Muppy 8/10 even more amusing!

Zeppel 5/10 does nothing worthwhile
Tony 7/10 mostly because he plays off Flay
Renee 6/10 mostly because she plays off Tony
Isolde 5/10 Nothing worth mentioning
Sulphur 5/10 sure is a cat!
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2010, 08:24:16 AM »
Make up exam:

FF6:

Ultros - 9/10 - StupidIntelligently used, annoyinginteresting, unfunny gimmick. The fact that he constantly shows up grates on my nervesis a treat every time I play FF6. FuckPraise him.

Classic game:

FFX:

Tidus - 5/10 - Ko this is MY topic
Yuna
Wakka
Lulu
Kimarhi
Auron
Rikku - 8.5/10 - Ko if you were Rikku you'd be far, far, far superior

Seymour
Sin/Jecht
Yunalesca
Mika - (Ko*exp(Ko^Ko))/10
Braska - (d/dKo(Koln(Ko^2/(1+Ko)) + Ko!))/10
Kinoc - ((Ko^5 - 7Ko^4 + 34Ko^3 - 5.3Ko^2 - Ko)/(5Ko^3 - 65Ko^2 - 9Ko - 29))/10

New game:

Mana Khemia:

Vayne - 5.5/10 - Well I guess I've never seen a doormat before
Jessica - 5/10 - Marginally insane, used to be good but was surpassed rather quickly
Nicole - 4.5/10 - It's Goto all over again except the concept of the school slut makes more sense
Flay - 9.5/10 - Ko if all that is true then man you must hate yourself don't hate yourself be happy like sunshine and birds singing in the trees going la de da de la de la do do do
Pamela - 5/10 - Average comedy character that got massively overhyped due to Tallychu girl brigade
Roxis - 7/10 - Yaoi clause
Anna - 7/10 - Ko this is more your style
Muppy - 8.5/10 - Ko would make a good queen

Zeppel - 5/10
Tony - 7.5/10
Renee - 7.5/10
Isolde - 4/10
Sulphur - 7.5/10 - Ko why can't I use .25s
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 06:16:44 AM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2010, 09:03:41 AM »
FF6:
Ultros - 7/10. Nothing amazing, but a decently funny character.

FFX:
Tidus - 0/10. Fuck off, Tidus. I've never understood the argument that "Tidus acts like a real person would in that situation!" HOW?! I don't think I've ever, EVER met anyone that whiny and annoying. Tidus gets thrown 1000 years into the future, discovers that his hometown was destroyed 1000 years ago, which, y'know, considering it was being attacked at the time? Fairly logical to assume that it was destroyed specifically at the time he left! And what does he do? Forgets all about it right up until the Fayth talk to him on FUCKING GAGAZET. That's over halfway through the fucking game! Did I mention that he was whiny and annoying and I wanted to punch him? No, seriously, fuck off, Tidus.
Yuna - 1/10. The worst part here? If I were including X-2, she'd actually get a higher score. Gets walked over for literally the entire game - firstly by Yevon, and after that, she just does exactly what Tidus/the party tells her to do. And, like Rob said, the voice actor. *punts* At least she's not quite as bad as Tidus, in that her annoying traits are more generic and less specifically annoying.
Wakka - 7/10. Kinda generic, but I love the whole brother side of things, and I didn't find him annoyin', ya?
Lulu - 5/10. VERY generic. Nothing to love, nothing to hate. She is there to seem badass and gothic and actually do nothing to approach this other than wear black, a lot of make-up and tell things to die.
Kimahri - 0/10. "Kimahri useless. Kimahri suck." I've ranted at a lot of friends about how useless Kimahri is, how bloody annoying it is when they randomly throw him in as though he has a purpose, and the fact that he does fuck-all. This ended up with my sister and I going through the whole of FFX and thinking how the plot would change without Kimahri. The whole Biran/Yenke thing would be cut, and he wouldn't be there to get annoyed at Seymour on Gagazet, so those scenes... would do nothing to the final storyline. No, the full extent of it came down to "Yuna would fall down the stairs."
Auron - 8/10. what is this an intelligent character in my FFX cast? Auron tries to be overly badass and cool, but sort of pulls it off at times. Also actually has some backstory and serves a purpose, which is good by FFX standards.
Rikku - 7/10. I used to hate Rikku, like all of this stereotype. Now? I actually kinda like her, if only because she's got some actual character traits. She isn't just generic crap, with a load of smaller things like some minor backstory events and the whole fear of lightning, etc, etc.

Seymour - 2/10. LADY YUNA~ His 2 points are almost entirely for his voice. Oh, and killing anyone to get his own way.
Sin/Jecht - 9/10. Sin works scarily well as a threat, and I love Jecht's backstory stuff. It's weird, I'd give either of these a 7, but they compliment each other pretty well, so get a 9 overall.
Yunalesca - 1/10. Rargh I am religious crazy boob lady who is also undead and will eat you. Her one point is for providing me with a boss fight that took over 24 hours. >_>
Mika - 1/10. *punt*
Braska - DNR.
Kinoc - 2/10. He did stuff, right? I'm giving him a point for the backstory with Auron, just 'cause it kinda adds to him being a dick.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2010, 04:57:28 PM »
Tidus - 1/10 - I've ranted about him before.
Yuna - 5/10: I don't see admiring her at any stage of the game but she's not bad.
Wakka - 3/10: Interesting character, still terrible.
Lulu - 4/10: Inoffensive
Kimarhi - 1/10: Useless
Auron - 8/10: Reasonable, mature character stuck babysitting a bunch of shitheads.
Rikku - 6/10: I hate this archetype, but she managed to play well off of Yuna/Wakka so whatever.

Seymour - 1/10: Tidus + 20 years - Auron
Sin/Jecht - 1/10: I AM THE GREETEST, BIG BRAIN AM LEAVING NOW FOR NO RAISIN
Yunalesca - 1/10: Stop trying to make me give a shit about your shitty story FFX
Mika - 1/10: Evil priest is evil.
Braska - 3/10: Yuna + 20 years - Rikku.  Also Jecht Yaoi.
Kinoc - 1/10: Who?  Y'know, as terrible as they are, at least I remember Biran and Yenke.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2010, 06:19:28 PM »
FF6:

Ultros - 7/10. Was amusing.

Classic game:

FFX:

Tidus - 8/10. Yeah, I actually like Tidus.
Yuna - 5/10. There's a fine line between stoicaly putting up with the bad shit you've been handed and being a doormat. I'm never sure which side of that she falls on.
Wakka - 7/10. The deeply religion guy actually being the nice guy was a bit surprising. Especially as I played this back when I was still living in North Carolina! Still, he pulls it off well.
Lulu - 4/10. Jenna fangirls over her, but she's not my cup of tea.
Kimarhi - 3/10. Big silent guardian type has it's place. Would probably have been better in a game without...
Auron - 8/10. ...this guy. The Mentor role done very well, especially with the glimpses into his past to see the character development that turned him into what he was.
Rikku - 7/10. Yeah, Rikku isn't too much on her own, but her interactions with basically everyone else were gold.

Seymour - 7/10. Excellent all around villian.
Sin/Jecht - Abstain. I can't rate characters like Jecht with any pretense of objectivity. Sin was a cool idea, felt like a genuine world devouring threat.
Yunalesca  
Mika
Braska - 3/10. Easily the least interesting person in the flashback scenes.  
Kinoc

New game:

Mana Khemia:

Vayne - 7/10. Bland, but made for a decent PoV character. Interactions with Roxis and Flay get him the points here.
Jessica - 5/10. Also bland. Felt really overshadowed by the rest of her cast.
Nicole - 6/10. The point above Jess is purely for her interactions with Muppy.
Flay - 9/10. He's such a jackass sometimes, but always in a hilarious way. Mind you I'd probably hate this dude if I knew him in person, and I normally end up rating that low, but as a game character he manages to be funny.
Pamela - 8/10. MK is not a serious plot game. MK is a comedy character interactions game. Pamela is brilliant at those.
Roxis - 8/10. It's good to see him getting knocked down a peg for his ego without making him the cast's whipping boy. Makes a great straight man in the more comedic scenes.
Anna - 5/10. Eh...I liked her sometimes. But the whole "unstoppable juggernaut who will not listen to reason" thing annoys me far more.
Muppy - 4/10. Funny, but not in a way that generally appeals to me. Felt like his appearance is what caused the game to jump the shark.

Zeppel - 5/10. Existed. Not bad, but not memorable either.
Tony - 7/10. Wannabe supervillian was funny.
Renee - 7/10. And her genre awareness was just as good.
Isolde - 5/10. Eeeeeh, I liked her stuff fairly well, but she dragged MK plot back away from the comedy and into the serious. She loses points for that.
Sulphur - 6/10. It was always very obvious that he knew far more about what was going on then he was telling. It worked. Also, kitty~
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 08:50:44 PM by Gatewalker »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2010, 06:52:59 PM »
Tidus - 0/10. Fuck off, Tidus. I've never understood the argument that "Tidus acts like a real person would in that situation!" HOW?! I don't think I've ever, EVER met anyone that whiny and annoying. Tidus gets thrown 1000 years into the future, discovers that his hometown was destroyed 1000 years ago, which, y'know, considering it was being attacked at the time? Fairly logical to assume that it was destroyed specifically at the time he left! And what does he do? Forgets all about it right up until the Fayth talk to him on FUCKING GAGAZET. That's over halfway through the fucking game! Did I mention that he was whiny and annoying and I wanted to punch him? No, seriously, fuck off, Tidus.

He didn't FORGET about Zanarkand, he flat out states in Kilika "...yeah, I gotta move on, stop worrying about Zanarkand, just accept things as they are, cause I'm stuck here" since he just dealt with Sin again, and it was that moment that he realized he was stuck there.  You know, the proper way to deal with shitty situations like that?  What's he gonna do when Zanarkand is shoved right in his face anyway? Go "I'm gonna ignore it!"  its a pretty logical stance really; you're stuck one place, you gotta make the most of it.  Kilika is the moment where he finally decides to do so; this doesn't change the fact that there's still a lot of shit going on that he has to absorb, which makes things intense, hence the whining (there's a lot he just doesn't KNOW.)

You also love to trivialize everything.  Have you ever considered what is actually happening to Tidus.  He's a Celebrity in his own world, someone who was admired by everyone...then in a few quick moments, everything he knew is gone, and he's suddenly this heretic kid, who was lucky enough to stumble upon a few nice people (like Wakka.)  If you were actually in his shoes, you'd probably be a bit ticked off too.

He also wasn't so much at disbelief that "Zanarkand was destroyed!"  It was disbelief of "I'm 1000 years in the future? That's hard to swallow!"  Seriously, are you suggesting that you'd automatically believe you were 1000 years in the future cause you woke up in a foreign land?

I'm not saying you have to like Tidus, but trying to put things into perspective as to why people say he's realistic to some degree.  You basically hit upon...very minor little points that weren't even what's going on, and completely ignored what was going on related to it.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2010, 07:42:05 PM »
You also love to trivialize everything.  Have you ever considered what is actually happening to Tidus. 

No, because at that point people have already stopped caring about him. It's easy to trivialize things you don't care about at all and would rather just not exist.

ThePiggyman

• Denizen
  • The Lonely People (Are Getting Lonelier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2010, 07:54:02 PM »
Alright, I'll do this I guess.

Classic game:

FFX:

Tidus : 7/10 - Like Dhyer said, it's more the situation itself that Tidus finds himself in that's fascinating. However, I do think that curve itself is represented well by Tidus' character. It's evident that he changes, and despite his unsophisticated, bordering on childish behaviour, he stands as a pinnacle of reason among everyone else. He says what I was thinking as I played. Still, his overenthusiasm sometimes gets real bothersome.
Yuna : 6/10 - I like Yuna in a way, in that she stays happy and keeps a smile on even through hardest of times. And it must be rough to have all that responsability on her shoulders. All of Spira expects her to defeat Sin, and she knows she can't let them down. Still, I can't stand how she seems to refuse to believe that there might be another way for so long. And her reluctance to reveal things to those she trusts (like Jyscal's Sphere) really drove me over the edge.
Wakka : 9/10 - In a way, Wakka pretty much represents Spira's mindset throughout the game. Before Tidus existed, it was the common belief that only through repentance will Sin ever truly go away. As Wakka begins to go through that 'religious crisis' where nothing makes sense to him anymore, Spira begins to have doubts, too. When Yuna and co. try to destroy Sin, and believe he'll be gone for good, Spira rises and even sings the Hymn of the Faith in worldwide unison for them. Wakka as a character goes through some great changes that I very much enjoyed seeing, since, at first, he did somewhat bother me with his callous remarks towards anything that went against his beliefs.
Lulu : 5/10 - Lulu never really feels vital to the story. She's intelligent, and she contributes as one of Yuna's guardians, in a way, but I can't think of a whole lot of contributions in terms of what she brings to the story itself. As a character, she's.... okay? How her and Wakka hooked up is beyond me, since she seems a lot more willing to think outside the spectrum than he does.
Kimarhi : 5/10 - His devotion and protective nature over Yuna is inspiring enough to earn him an average score. The scene when he first speaks to Tidus, and him willing to take on Seymour all by himself were pretty good as well.
Auron : 8/10 - Everything's been said pretty well by others. He compliments the story well, and the snippets with Braska and Jecht only add to his character.
Rikku : 8/10 - An interesting character when you compare her to everyone else. An alternative thinker put into the image of a spunky girl. She's likeable enough, and, like Tidus, ends up sounding more reasonable than most everyone else. All she really wants is equality and an end to Sin. She's almost like a peace ambassador in the sense that she can see the light from both worlds.

Seymour : 7/10 - His ideals were actually terrifyingly villainous. Wanting to rid Spira of sorrow by bringing it to death? The guy is insane, and he had a pretty brilliant plan to unleash his insanity. Still, he died one too many times for my liking.
Sin/Jecht : 10/10 - Sin is the menace of the world, and it does a damn good job at being menacing. The utter failure of Operation Mi'ihen exemplifies it perfectly. Also, Jecht is a great character. Knowing he was Sin made every encounter Tidus had with him really... touching, in a way. Here, Tidus stands before the greatest monstrosity in Spira, knowing his father is in there, wanting all of this to end. It's almost bittersweet as Tidus seems to start growing closer and closer to his dad with every time he sees Sin.
Yunalesca : 3/10 - Ehhh. Stubborn as hell, refusing to believe there's any other way to destroy Sin, was pretty annoying. The fact that she considers herself all-powerful didn't bode well with me either.
Mika : 5/10 - All five points are for that one scene where he describes Spira as 'a spiral of death'. That was powerful.
Braska : 5/10 - Didn't have much presence, but any scene with him, Jecht and Auron viewed on the Spheres throughout their pilgrimage were interesting.
Kinoc : 2/10 - Felt completely unimportant. Backstory with Auron didn't impress either.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:57:51 PM by ThePiggyman »
Quote from: DjinnAndTonic
Quote from: OblivionKnight
if you believe in being a GOOD PERSON

If we believed in that, we wouldn't be forcing world-saving hero to fight eachother to the death for our amusement.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2010, 08:22:29 PM »
FF6:

Ultros - 8/10

Classic game:

FFX:

Tidus - 5/10
Yuna - 7/10
Wakka - 6/10
Lulu - 4/10
Kimarhi - 2/10
Auron - 6/10
Rikku - 3/10

Seymour - 5/10
Sin/Jecht - 5/10
Yunalesca - 4/10
Mika - 3/10
Braska - 4/10
Kinoc - Who?/10

New game:

Mana Khemia:

Vayne - 4/10
Jessica - 7/10
Nicole - 3/10
Flay - 4/10
Pamela - 9/10
Roxis - 5/10
Anna - 8/10
Muppy - 6/10

Zeppel - 6/10
Tony - 8/10
Renee - 8/10
Isolde - 5/10
Sulphur - 7/10

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2010, 09:09:17 PM »
He didn't FORGET about Zanarkand, he flat out states in Kilika "...yeah, I gotta move on, stop worrying about Zanarkand, just accept things as they are, cause I'm stuck here" since he just dealt with Sin again, and it was that moment that he realized he was stuck there.  You know, the proper way to deal with shitty situations like that?  What's he gonna do when Zanarkand is shoved right in his face anyway? Go "I'm gonna ignore it!"  its a pretty logical stance really; you're stuck one place, you gotta make the most of it.  Kilika is the moment where he finally decides to do so; this doesn't change the fact that there's still a lot of shit going on that he has to absorb, which makes things intense, hence the whining (there's a lot he just doesn't KNOW.)
Kilika is, what, a week after he arrives in modern Spira? That is way too quick a change to be a believable reaction.
And the logical response? Not a damn chance. The logical response isn't to go "Yeah, I'll put it behind me and NEVER EVEN MENTION IT AGAIN." The logical response would be to remember it but move on. The fact that Zanarkand isn't even mentioned again until Gagazet is ridiculous.

You also love to trivialize everything.  Have you ever considered what is actually happening to Tidus.  He's a Celebrity in his own world, someone who was admired by everyone...then in a few quick moments, everything he knew is gone, and he's suddenly this heretic kid, who was lucky enough to stumble upon a few nice people (like Wakka.)  If you were actually in his shoes, you'd probably be a bit ticked off too.
Doesn't this just support my entire fucking point? >_> Let's summarise:
 - Tidus comes from Zanarkand, where he's (presumably) lived his entire life with his friends/family.
 - He is also a celebrity here, with fame and fortune.
 - His hometown is suddenly attacked and he is pretty much dragged off to a weird portal thing.
 - He discovers his hometown was destroyed 1000 years in the past, presumably in the attack he saw.
 - Mere days later, this is all JUST IN THE PAST NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT AHAHAHAHAHA. Yeah, fuck that for a believable reaction.

He also wasn't so much at disbelief that "Zanarkand was destroyed!"  It was disbelief of "I'm 1000 years in the future? That's hard to swallow!"  Seriously, are you suggesting that you'd automatically believe you were 1000 years in the future cause you woke up in a foreign land?
No, I'd not. THAT'S THE WHOLE DAMN POINT. He gets over everything too quickly for it to be even remotely believable. (The fact that he seemingly doesn't care about witnessing the destruction of his home, friends and entire lifestyle is just another reason it's not believable.)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2010, 09:52:29 PM »
Meeple, are you asking for Tidus to be more angsty?  Because your definition of "more believable" really sounds like "he needed to be more emo about his situation."
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2010, 01:58:38 PM »
Mana Khemia:

Vayne: 7/10  Likeable enough main
Jessica 7/10  Pyro! Likeable female lead. Extra point for that importance.
Nicole : 4.5/10 - Kitty! Cute! Friendly! + Muppy scenes! However ... yeah. No, just no to some stuff.
Flay: 9/10 Mana Khemia~
Pamela: 6.5/10 - Interesting take on the Pamela in the Gust series. Adorable with the ribbons and the purple and the teddy but yeah I suppose she isn't a very nice person at times. CT baits aren't usually like that. Still she's a ghost so those scenes work for being a scary mean ghost especially when Ted starts to look evil too. Points for trying something different from the usual Pamela.
Roxis: 6/10 - Roxis can be an ass too! Still hilarious. Butt monkey~
Anna: 4/10 - See Dhyer. Haven't seen her ending but yeah. Also the "romance"/relationship stuff with Vayne - No, just no.
Muppy: 5/10 - Needs to be around more and earlier.

Sulpher: 8/10 - CAT!!! Real cats own most of the cast ;)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:35:23 AM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2010, 02:05:37 PM »
Not going to really get into an argument, but you are misrepresenting the time frames in the game Yoshi.  You do not travel the distance covered or develop that good a friendship with people in a week.  FF10 has a lot of implied compressed time for simplicity's sake (like you know, walking half way around the world?) and lots of time skips at the start of the game when you are travelling by boat.  The time from the start of the game to Mt Gagazet is much longer than a single week (For comparison check the scenes from Jecht Spheres also present a great deal of time passing between them as well).

Case in point, the Al Behd may be good with machines, but they sure as shit did not dig out, resurface, transport, fix up AND test fly an airship in a week.

The time isn't just glossed over for your party, the simple logistics for all of the events happening in the world cannot be taking place in the time frames you are saying is unrealistic for Tidus' character development (Seymour's rise and fall from power, any of the Blitzball tournament shit, the massing of forces to try and strike back at Sin). 

It may be unrealistic for him to do that in a week, but over a month long period (which is well below what I personally read the time frames as, I would put the upper estimate as much as 6 months)?  Yeah, it is fairly understandable for someone to put something aside and deal with it later when it is becoming more relevant (You know Mt Gagazet being just before they get to Zanarkand, the original reason he was really keen to tag along with the expedition, not to mention I am pretty sure it comes up in the sequence with Bahamut).

Tidus definitely can be annoying as all fuck and I don't expect anyone to really like him at all, but there is enough reasons to hate him without misrepresenting the time frames being discussed here.

Edit - Alternately, if you take the main game taking place in that short a time frame, the capital city of Spira is what 3 days away from Zanarkand?  A quick stroll through a forest, through the Calm lands, up a mountain and you are done.  Pilgrimages are all like hard and shit man.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 02:09:55 PM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.