Author Topic: Rate the characters 2: RATE HARDER!  (Read 32877 times)

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the characters 2: RATE HARDER!
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2010, 04:57:31 PM »
Hmm. I'll admit that I haven't played FFX in a while, so my memory on the times of things are pretty hazy. That said, I still don't see Tidus as even remotely believable as a character. Moreso than before, but that's like saying "Oh, now this whiny stupid traitorous brat of a character is less annoying, they're just a whiny stupid brat instead."

As it goes, I don't see the events from Baaj Temple to Kilika being much longer than two weeks, maybe three at most, and that's how long it takes him to put Zanarkand behind him temporarily. People don't get over losing a single person who's close to them within a month, let alone their entire life as they know it.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2010, 08:44:05 PM »
FF6:

Ultros- 2/10. Mostly annoying. Go away.

Classic game:

FFX:

Tidus- 7/10. Enjoyed his character work a good deal.
Yuna- 4/10. Her best points were near the end, which were promptly pissed on and destroyed by FFX-2. Fuck you, FFX-2.
Wakka- 8/10- Good mentor figure for Tidus at first.
Lulu- 7/10. Solid and provides someone for Wakka to bounce off of.
Kimarhi- 1/10. Fuck off.
Auron- 8/10. He is what he is.
Rikku- 4/10. I barely remember her existing.

Seymour- 3/10. Total loser, but at least has style at points.
Sin/Jecht- 8/10. I really like the ending with Tidus and Jecht.
Mika
Braska
Kinoc- Don't remember these three well enough to rate.

New game:

Mana Khemia:

Vayne- 7/10. His personality both fit the game and made complete sense within the main plot. It works.
Jessica- 4/10. Boring.
Nicole- 1/10. DIE
Flay- 6/10. Funny at points, but also fucking obnoxious in the first few chapters.
Pamela- 3/10. Mostly don't care.
Roxis- 7/10. What Ciato said.
Anna- 5/10. Amused me more than she should have.
Muppy- 7/10. Is Monkey in RPG form.

Zeppel- Don't care.
Tony- 5/10- Apathetic.
Renee- 7/10- Her motivations for going along with Tony are pretty obvious, and it makes for a good dynamic.
Isolde- 3/10. Blah, mystery stuff.
Sulphur- He existed past the opening chapters?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2010, 08:22:46 AM »
Mana Khemia:

Vayne: 7/10- His own doormat-ishness was entertaining in its own right and made him, oddly enough, stand out to me. Worked well with the whole of the cast.
Jessica: 6/10- Decent. Had her moments. Point for attempted seriousness and some legitimate funny.
Nicole: 7/10- Liked her well enough, didn't mind the relationship arcing, redeemed Muppy's existence to some regard. Good enough to score her two.
Flay: 9/10- Silly, random and entertaining without derailing the game like Muppy did. Cast best character.
Pamela: 6/10- Oddly... kinda blanking on what she did. Had an amusing moment or two, which is worth a point. My revise this score.
Roxis: 8/10- Two points for interactions with the Mana of Light. One for being generally fun.
Anna: 6/10- Inoffensive and generally amusing. This is instant!
Muppy: 3/10- Loses points for (to agree with Gate here, really) being the trigger for the game jumping the shark. Main game presence was pretty much next to nil and sidestory stuff just kinda... grated. While I could at least vaguely take the story seriously with Flay, Muppy went and broke that connection for me. Even in light-hearted/comedy stuff, I like some story and character stuff I can vaguely grab onto. While Flay kept me in story, Muppy took me out. Doesn't lose more points for his interactions with Nikki and his awesome theme.

Zeppel: 6/10- Just good enough to escape a 5.
Tony: 6/10- Entertaining and a fun foil to Flay.
Renee: 5/10- Not as engaging as Tony.
Isolde: 6/10- Surprisingly hatable villain for a light-hearted game. Good enough to score her a point.
Sulphur: 6/10- Good when he's there, but its not overly frequently.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2010, 02:20:51 PM »
As it goes, I don't see the events from Baaj Temple to Kilika being much longer than two weeks, maybe three at most, and that's how long it takes him to put Zanarkand behind him temporarily. People don't get over losing a single person who's close to them within a month, let alone their entire life as they know it.

You underestimate the reality in the Stalin quote relating to the death of one man being a tragedy and the death of millions just being a satistic.  Especially when he was specifically removed from the area, there is other things for him to focus on and nothing bringing up Zanarkand emotionally really.  It is like when you go on holiday, you sort of just forget about whatever is happening back at home.

None of this of course invalidates your issues with the character, he is still a tedious annoying dick a lot of the time.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2010, 04:08:19 PM »
FF6:

Ultros: 7/10.  Great comic relief character.

Classic game:

FFX:

Tidus: 7/10.  I liked him and found him decent.  I can understand people hating him, though people seem to miss a lot of what is going on.  That said, he's far from perfect.
Yuna: 7/10.  Decent and all that, but won't fanboy over her; also FFX-2 leaves a slight sour taste in my mouth, for all that it should have no impact on FF10 Yuna.
Wakka: 8/10. Likable, and well done character.  The whole "Gradual shift from racism to tolerance" is something rarely done; it wasn't just "AL BHED ARE PEOPLE TOO!" revelation but rather slowly learning to accept them.
Lulu: 4/10. Has a few decent lines, but otherwise is just kind of there as a Wakka foil, and not a very good one.
Kimarhi: 2/10. Is even more "just there" than Lulu.
Auron: 8.5/10.  About the best you can do with a mentor character.  Has the whole bad ass vibes, but at the same time doesn't feel like he's trying to prove superiority, and isn't afraid to be blunt about things (The Sin reveal that early was a surprise, let alone how direct he was about it.  No riddles, just "Sin is Jecht, Jecht is Sin".  He even justified why he said it so early too.)
Rikku: 6/10. She's worthless by herself, and generally an archtype I'm not fond of, but unlike most, she has good characters to bounce off of, and leads to good character interaction as a result, which salvages her from being truly horrible.  FFX-2 is an example of what happens to her if you remove those characters, meanwhile...

Seymour: 7/10.  Kind of liked what they were going for here, but he really needed to stop pretending he was dying.
Sin/Jecht: 7/10.  Points purely for Jecht, cause Sin is a plot device really.  That said, Jecht is just kind of that awesome guy with enough screen time to solidify he's awesome though I feel like there's a little more I wanted out of him.
Yunalesca: 4/10. One scene wonder, and while a good scene, its mostly the PCs that make the section worthwhile, so I feel she's at most a catalyst for the worth in this scene, not the actual strength behind it.  Contrast this to BoF3 Myria, whose a good part of why the scene works so well.
Mika: 3/10.  Generic old man dick who doesn't have remotely enough screen time for me to give a shit.
Braska: 5/10.  Of the Auron/Jecht/Braska Trio, he's certainly the worst, partially cause he has the least amount of impact.  What we see of him is likable enough, but there's not enough of him.
Kinoc: 6/10.  Decent scoundrel, not much else.

New game:

Mana Khemia:

Vayne: 7/10.  Part of the reason Character Quests work is cause Vayne is an effective "Straight Man" who gets dragged into things cause he's so reserved.  The end game stuff worked well enough though seemed a little rushed at the same time.
Jessica: 4/10.  FOund her utterly boring and apathetic.
Nicole: 2/10.  Stereotype I don't like, and I'm not a fan of cat-girls at all, especially ones as blatant as her.
Flay: 8/10.  He is the Tick.  'nough said.
Pamela: 2/10.  She was funny in Atelier Iris, but here? She comes off as a bitch and her ditziness feels so forced.  She's just not funny at all, when she's clearly meant to be a humor based character.   Seriously, how could they fuck this up so much?
Roxis: 6/10.  For a complete dick, he wasn't nearly as annoying as you'd expect, so yeah; extra point for Mana of Light related shenanigans.
Anna: 4/10.  Apathy; didn't really do much with her, frankly.
Muppy: 6.5/10.  At first, thought he was annoying, but then they started actually doing clever things with him, so he ended up passable enough.  Half a point for the Anti-Nikki related stuff.

Zeppel: 5/10.  Left little impact one way or another.
Tony: 7/10.  Evil Villain in training! Yeah this works.
Renee: 7/10. Incompetent Female Henchman in Training!  Had some funny lines making fun of Tony.
Isolde: 3/10.  She felt kind of there, and at times forced.  Honestly, Mana Khemia was good at the Not-Serious plot stuff, and she was 100% serious, and actually tried to make the game seem like it was plot driven when its clearly NOT.  Stuff with her just rubbed me the wrong way.
Sulphur: 5/10.  For a talking cat...he's so utterly average <_<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2010, 06:08:39 PM »
I'm going to update Sunday or maybe Monday, so get your votes in now.

Incidentally, if you have suggestions for new games to be ranked, feel free to PM them to me.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2010, 06:33:44 PM »
Make up exam:

Ultros- 6/10. He was funny, but not that funny.

Classic game:

Tidus- 5/10. One problem with him is the general jackassery. Calling the adventure his story is the most notable example. Another problem is his "I'll think of something" attitude which didn't work for 90% of the game, but suddenly everyone went along with it for the endgame. On the other hand, while I didn't find Tidus himself enjoyable, he did make a lot of other things work.
Yuna- 5/10. It's nice that they go for a strong willed girl as female lead. However, the sheer stupidity with going along with the Seymour marriage doesn't do her any credit. Other events, although minor compared to accepting Seymour proposal, helps setting her up as a silly girl. For example, she apologized for Tidus misbehavior.
Wakka- 8/10. Generally well done. When he said something stupid, I wanted to punch him, not the writer. He had meaningful interaction with everyone except Kimarhi (who doesn't count) and the writer did a god job with nature vs nurture. Still, he lacks the extra that necessary to move into the realm of awesome.
Lulu- 5/10. She's sometimes cool, but not that much really. Mostly she's just generic.
Kimarhi- 3/10. Didn't seem very useful to the plot. He had a few good scenes, but they are way to diluted by him being forgettable 90% or more of the time.
Auron- 9/10. Cool, stylish and interacts meaningfully with the plot. Has snippets of other things going for him as well. What's there not to like?
Rikku- 8/10. Very likable and has great interaction. I think she was well done with being a cheerful person in nature thrown into a situation which is anything but cheerful.

Seymour- 4/10. I did not like the fact that you know he's a villain by just looking at him. Why not make him look like Dark Force then? Even so, I found him somewhat interesting before he revealed himself. His "then pretend you didn't hear that" line is awesome. However, as soon as the cat was out of the box he only got annoying. All his doing something evil and then promptly having his ass kicked made him feel like a roadblock rather than a credible threat. His motive didn't sell me either.
Sin/Jecht- 7/10. I have a hard time rating them as one character. While they technically are the same, Sin has gone trough many incarnations and has been the same regardless of who currently is him and as such has a longer history than Jecht. Sin does a great of being a massive destructive force and generally being what's wrong with Spira. Jecht I found less interesting, I didn't care much about his interactions with Tidus.
Yunalesca- 2/10. Bland and gets one minus point for atrocious style. I think her lack of screentime worked to favor here.
Mika- 2/10. The idea of having someone believe he's doing what's necessary, but in reality what he's doing is horrible wrong is a good idea on paper. I didn't like the execution however. Him calling Kelk Ronso "hardly useful" is too much of a kick a puppy type of dickery and makes him look like someone who does evil deeds with glee. Also, despite being the highest religious figurehead, he came of as the least relevant.
Braska- 3/10. He was rather bland. Also, why did you steer your daughter towards death?
Kinoc- 3/10. His only real purpose is to add to Auron's character. A good purpose, but he has nothing going for himself.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2010, 10:09:28 PM »
FFX:  This game has characters that conflict me more than most.  I can hate/love the same person based on my mood.

Tidus - 6/10- I found his reactions and attitudes fairly believable, but I didn't always like how he got those feelings across.
Yuna - 8/10- Didn't see her as a huge doormat really.  I mean her mission in life was to fucking die, I think I'd be a pretty quiet person as well in that situation.  Her transition towards Tidus' beliefs was believable enough.
Wakka - 6/10- See... I hate people like Wakka in real life.  That made me hate Wakka.  But... the fact that he got his character across well enough for me to relate him to real life makes him a good character I think?  6 seems fair considering I did hate him, but someone like me should hate him...
Lulu - 5/10- Kinda just there.  Didn't do anything to make me hate her, but didn't do much to make me like her.  Decent mother figure to Yuna at least.
Kimarhi - 2/10- No personality really... but I can only give a 1 for someone who has a terrible personality.
Auron - 9/10- Liked his character quite a bit.  Others have mentioned his pretty cliche role, but he pulls it of well.  Also, not many old veterans are badass enough to die and still be the mentor.
Rikku - 6/10- Did her part as comic relief well and her interactions with Wakka were pretty good, but not amazing.

Seymour - 9/10- Dunno, I really liked Seymour.  His evilness was believable and his dreams were pretty awesome.  Annoyed how he just magically shows up inside Sin with new powers, but I won't hold that against his character.
Sin/Jecht - 9/10- Does the "giant evil entity that the world fears" better than other games I can think of.
Yunalesca - 1/10- Oh hai!  Do things the way we have been doing them for 800 years because nobody can do it any other way.  Kay?  Meh
Mika - 7/10- Did the evil pope thing well.
Braska - DNR/10- Don't care
Kinoc - 3/10- Not enough screen time to make an impact

Taishyr

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2010, 12:16:37 AM »
FF6:

Ultros: 7/10. Works.

Classic game:

FFX:

Tidus: 2.5/10. Yeeep. No.
Yuna: 7/10. Yeah, rather liked her, honestly.
Wakka: 7/10. See above.
Lulu: 7/10. Fan. Mainly because while she has minimal direct plot impact, she verbally smacks Tidus some. I don't like Tidus. This is a net gain for me.
Kimarhi: 1/10. See Yoshiken but I save 0s for characters that absolutely ruin their game by being even present. Kimahri just... kinda sucks time and energy and made a dungeon I found stupid necessary and invoked the Ronsos into the plot when they didn't need to be.
Auron: 3.5/10. I didn't like him. Why? Uh... Badass doesn't go so well with quiet for me, and doing the whole "I sit on information that might have been nice to tell my ward" was kinda stupid. He fueled some of Tidus wangst, so minus points, I guess.
Rikku: 6.5/10. Little by herself, but she reacts rather well with others which was cool to watch.

Seymour: 2/10. Oh hey obvious evil dude. Two points would be given for possibly decent concept, but then he just. kept. coming. back. augh. It makes sense as to why but it got dumb.
Sin/Jecht: 6/10. Effective in the role he was in, better than his son at everything. So there.
Yunalesca: 3/10. Had the grace to only have one (huge) boss fight. Otherwise, Seymour.
Mika - Wasn't she one of the recruitable goalies in blitzball?
Braska - 2/10. Bad parent.
Kinoc - Kinoc, kinoc. Who's there? I don't remember.

New game:

Mana Khemia:

Vayne: 6/10. Doormat. But an entertaining one.
Jessica: 4.5/10. Two-trick girl. Fortunately, those tricks are funny. EDIT: Oh, right, I forgot OHGODIDYING. How'd I do that? Bumping her down two.
Nicole: 4/10. Eeeeh. Didn't mind her normally, disliked her plot arc.
Flay: 8/10. Well-done absolute ham.
Pamela: 5/10. Hm. Kinda don't recall most of what she did in game, definitely don't recall her being all too out of line but don't remember much humor from her.
Roxis: 6/10. Eh.
Anna: 7/10. Annatoro. It does honestly apply. Forgets the rules of logic or existence, goes to do whatever needs doing.
Muppy: 3/10. ENTIRELY FOR HIS PLOT ARC AND ENDING. HIS PLOT IN THE MAIN GAME WAS BALLS AND POINTLESS. blah.

Zeppel: 3/10. Eh.
Tony: 7/10. Tony~
Renee: 8/10. I liked Renee more, honestly, of the duo. Tony was the gung-ho, sure, but Renee? Had a crush, was tailing around due to that, but really just did what she felt like. Had no real grudge against the main team, treated Tony like her oblivious chew toy~
Isolde: 4/10. Has style, but invoked SRS BSNS PLOT. So style doesn't get her far. Regardless, style.
Sulphur: 6/10. Talking cat, did well for being a plot device.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 12:37:01 AM by Taitoro »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2010, 12:26:03 AM »
Vayne: 5/10. I liked that there was actually a decent explanation for him being so good at everything. But that still wasn't a very good start. He's all right overall.
Jessica: 2/10. She was fine for a while, though not a favourite, I just hated her serious stuff. OH HEY GUYS I'M DYING now we will proceed to handle this in a poor fashion. On reflection she's the worst of the cast's females which says something.
Nicole: 3/10. Also not very good. Slightly more amusing than Jess though.
Flay: 9/10. TO THE FLAY CAVE. Is a superhero. Becomes a supervillain. Probably better in MK2, but still glorious here.
Pamela: 3/10. Yeah I can't say I found her funny.
Roxis: 7/10. Had the decency to get owned hard. How a borderline sociopath total loser gets treated by real people!
Anna: 4/10. Funny at points, but her CQs/ending were pretty terrible.
Muppy: 6/10. Pretty funny, especially the stuff with Nikki. And taking the school hostage holy crap how is he not expelled? And the ending.

Zeppel: 6/10. Funny in his own understated way, pretty capable overall.
Tony: 8/10. Tries so hard to be evil, but fails.
Renee: 8/10. Comes along for the ride to snark. You can't not love this.
Isolde: 4/10. SERIOUS MK PLOT? To be fair, serious MK plot actually isn't too bad, but there's still too much MYSTARY from her side.
Sulphur: 7/10. Plot twist with him is pretty excellent. Also liked his dry humour.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2010, 03:15:05 AM »
This'll stay open until Friday by request. Get your votes in by Thursday evening.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2010, 05:48:10 AM »
Make up exam:

FF6:

Ultros - 7 - Possibly colored by nostalgia, but he's pretty much my standard for 'recurring joke boss'. If you can't live up to Ultros, why are you there?

Classic game:

FFX:

Tidus - 9 - Yeah yeah, let's all laugh at Djinn and how Of Course he identifies with Tidus. Honestly, this character really did impress me with how easy he was to relate to. Perhaps the game was just good timing (I was the same age as Tidus when it came out), or perhaps he's actually well-written but people with a different background just don't -want- to relate to him? I don't know. *cue the 'zOMG I never noticed how they were both so whiny' jokes*
Yuna - 5 - For all that I like Tidus, Yuna's kinda bland. Perhaps because Garnet and Tifa felt so similar, she just seemed so forgetable and a non-factor, despite being the central MacGuffin. However, she works well with the rest of the cast, and there were a few good moments towards the end. About average.
Wakka - 8.5 - It's been said.
Lulu - 4 - I had such hopes for her.
Kimarhi - 2 - Both points for being a short Ronso.
Auron - 6 - Good, but not great.
Rikku - 6.5 - Ditto, but the archetype is harder to make good.

Seymour - 8 - I waffle back and forth on him.
Sin/Jecht - 10 - My favorite ambiance villain is worth a 8. Jecht himself is probably worth a 8. The way they end up working together bumps this to a perfect score.
Yunalesca - 5
Mika - 5
Braska - 4
Kinoc - 3.5

New game:

Mana Khemia: Still playing this, so scores don't include the entire game~

Vayne - 6 - Works well with Flay and Roxis. Worked well with Jess before she became boring.
Jessica - 6 - Really likeable pyro at the start. Then the serious CQs started and it kinda fell apart, but it not heinously boring at least.
Nicole - 9 - Finally, a promiscuous female character who feels believable. Seriously, you're all prudes. ;)
Flay - 9 - Is there anyone I have to justify this to?
Pamela - 7 - Bitchy characters are fun to watch. The saccharine sarcasm sells a lot of her persona. Could have worked better as an antagonist in some ways, though.
Roxis - 6 - Tsundere. If I wanted to read more deeply into MK, I'd talk about how awesome it was that they could make an openly gay character without feeling the need to dive into psyche and how messed up he is for being gay (Kanji...). However, despite how obvious it is, there's nothing that actually states he's gay.
Anna - 4 - Boring from the get-go. Needed a little more insanity to work in this cast.
Muppy - 3 - Jumping the Shark~

Zeppel - 3 - Non-factor.
Tony - 7 - Likeably funny and 'evil'.
Renee - 7 - Fills her niche of 'the sane one' better than Vayne.
Isolde - 5 - I can't say much about her yet, but from her few appearances so far and my spoilered knowledge that she's the 'main villain', it's just average.
Sulphur - 5 - Meh, talking cat. Barely there. Has a good line or two. Enough for average I guess.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 01:52:43 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2010, 12:12:09 AM »
FFX:

Tidus: 8/10 - All mains from FF7 onwards are hated even though they aren't actually that bad. Except Vaan of course as the hate is completely fair when it regards him.
Yuna: 6/10
Wakka: 9/10
Lulu: 4/10
Kimarhi: 4/10
Auron: 9/10 - Gave the information needed and held back the info that Yuna and co needed to find out themselfs. Him never pulling a "You never asked" helps.
Rikku: 6/10

Seymour: 8/10 - Unlike a lot of people I think the final fight with him in Sin makes him better as it shows just how deluded and unimportant Seymour is. While yeah he is more or less just a roadblock he is a good one and I'd take him over Generic Beast 139992#.
Sin/Jecht: 10/10 - Creatures like Sin usually come late in games meaning they all rate as massive pieces of crap but Sin is there right at the start and plays the role perfectly.
Yunalesca: 1/10 That outfit.......gaaah!
Mika: 6/10 - Unlike all the other popes who reply with some crap like "Feel my god's power!" when confronted he instead replys with "I'm getting out of here bitchs!" which is much better.
Braska: - 6/10 - There wasn't much but he was likeable.
Kinoc: 7/10 - Adds to Auron and also the only sane man of the villains as he can see Seymour for the crazy fruitcake he is.

New game:

Mana Khemia:

Vayne: 4/10 - ......
Jessica: 2/10 - ........
Nicole: 2/10 - ........
Flay: 9/10 - Hey a guy who actually is worth a damn. His VA being the guy who does the Dong is both odd and awesome at the same time as its such a villain's voice.
Pamela: 1/10 - Fuck off Pamela.
Roxis: 7/10 - Iffy here and there but otherwise fine.
Anna: 3/10
Muppy: 8/10 - Should have killed the whole school so the game had a good ending.

Zeppel: 2/10 - Did one important thing at the start and that was it. Should have been a generic considering how little he did.
Tony: 8/10 - His problem is he vanishes half way through but was otherwise decent, infact he and Renee were the only things keeping the plot going at all.
Renee: 8/10 - Why they didn't make her and Tony recurring enemies till endgame I'll never know. Yes there is the chance they'd go from fun to annoying but damn it would still be better then the main Mana Khemia plot.
Isolde: 1/10 - Whatever.
Sulphur 1/10 - Considering the last half a dozen games I've played all have had talking cats Sulphur is complete fail in comparison.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2010, 01:45:27 PM »
All mains from FF7 onwards are hated even though they aren't actually that bad. Except Vaan of course as the hate is completely fair when it regards him.

...Really? I thought Cloud was good in VII alone (although hated what they did in Advent Children), I liked Squall, and I thought Zidane was amazing. No, my problem isn't 7 onwards, it's X onwards, since that looks to be the point where they mostly stopped caring about characters and turned more towards PRETTY PRETTY GRAPHICS.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2010, 04:18:08 PM »
I've heard that line overused repeatedly, but this is the first time I've heard it claimed that the LOL WE ONLY CARE ABOUT GRAPHICS phase started with X and not 7. <_<

Maybe.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2010, 06:48:44 PM »
Ehh, 7-9 had good graphics, but they weren't the best of the best, and 9's style was just plain weird. X, on the other hand, had easily the best graphics around at the time, and they've just aimed for more realistic graphics with each game since. (Ignoring XI here, because the discussion was about main characters which, uh.. yeah, kinda speaks for itself there.)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2010, 07:01:02 PM »
Even if X's graphics are better relative to its time than 7's or 8's (possible, but hardly a clean sweep... notably, I'm pretty sure FF7 attracted more critical attention for its graphics than any game in the series since), it hardly means that any other facet of game design suffered for this. Which is why I put that argument in all caps mocking it.

Tidus, in particular, it's clear they put a fair bit of effort into writing, whether you like him or not. (Vaan it sounds like was kinda mailed in as a character by comparison, but I haven't played FF12 enough myself; still, this was less a conscious decision to be lazy about characters and more the result of him being shoehorned in to a role in which he wasn't originally envisioned).

Maybe.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2010, 12:58:44 AM »
There's certain types of characters that, when written poorly, are terrible. And when you write them accurately they are a different type of terrible.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2010, 05:28:16 PM »
...Really? I thought Cloud was good in VII alone (although hated what they did in Advent Children), I liked Squall, and I thought Zidane was amazing.

From my experiance on gamefaqs many people seem to judge a character by their first 1-3 hours of gametime because apparently Cloud and Squall are Emo (Hate using the term) for the whole game, Tidus does nothing but whine and Zidane I can't quite remember why but loads of people hate FF9 in general so its to be expected.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2010, 05:50:44 PM »
From my experiance on gamefaqs

Therein lies your problem, methinks.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2010, 06:07:57 PM »
I'm going to close this and start tallying a little early, since my schedule got shifted around at the last minute.

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2010, 06:12:21 PM »
I'm editing results in as I go, will finish this tonight or tomorrow.

Make up exam:

FF6:

Ultros: 6.28, 16 votes.

Classic game:

FFX:

Tidus: 4.97, 20 votes.
Yuna: 5.34, 19 votes.
Wakka: 7.18, 19 votes.
Lulu: 4.71, 19 votes.
Kimarhi: 2.63, 19 votes.
Auron: 7.84, 19 votes.
Rikku: 5.92, 20 votes.

Seymour: 4.78, 19 votes.
Sin/Jecht: 7.69, 18 votes.
Yunalesca: 3.28, 16 votes.
Mika: 4.00, 14 votes.
Braska: 4.33, 15 votes. (2 DNR)
Kinoc: 3.80, 13 votes.

New game:

Mana Khemia:

Vayne: 5.65, 16 votes.
Jessica: 5.21, 16 votes.
Nicole: 4.00, 16 votes.
Flay: 7.93, 16 votes.
Pamela: 5.18, 16 votes.
Roxis: 6.18, 16 votes.
Anna: 5.00, 16 votes.
Muppy: 5.43, 16 votes.

Zeppel: 4.64, 14 votes.
Tony: 6.60, 15 votes.
Renee: 7.10, 15 votes.
Isolde: 3.93, 15 votes.
Sulphur: 5.75, 14 votes. (1 DNR)

---

The Hall of Champions:

1.Lily: 8.85, 7 votes.
2.Flay: 7.93, 16 votes.
3.Auron: 7.84, 19 votes.
4.Flay: 7.71, 7 votes.
5.Sin/Jecht: 7.69, 18 votes.
6.Kefka: 7.38, 18 votes.
7.Edgar: 7.31, 16 votes.
8.Wakka: 7.18, 19 votes.
9.Chloe: 7.16, 6 votes.
10.Renee: 7.10, 15 votes.

LOSERS:

1.Goto: 1.00, 6 votes.
2.Gogo: 2.00, 11 votes, 4 DNR.
3.Umaro: 2.45, 11 votes, 4 DNR.
4.Kimarhi: 2.63, 19 votes.
5.Marta: 2.66, 6 votes.
6.Banon: 3.20, 15 votes, 2 DNR.
7.Yunalesca: 3.28, 16 votes.
8.Yun: 3.71, 7 votes.
9.Kinoc: 3.80, 13 votes.
10.Enna: 3.85, 7 votes.

Ranked games:

FF6, FF10, MK1, MK2.

Not a surprising round, though Tidus ran higher than I thought he would. More people liked him than I remembered. <_<

Classic game:

Crono Trigger

Crono
Marle
Lucca
Frog
Ayla
Robo
Magus

Ozzie
Flea
Slash
Azala
Schala
Queen Zeal
Lavos

New game:

Persona 4

Souji
Yosuke
Chie
Yukiko
Kanji
Rise
Teddie
Naoto

Mitsuo
Namatame
Adachi
Dojima
Nanako

(If you guys wanna do write ins for S-links feel free to try and see how those go. 1/3rd or better for inclusion into the final tally.)

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 06:32:55 PM by Dunefar »

Dunefar

• Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2010, 06:36:56 PM »
Crono Trigger

Crono: 8/10. I really like him despite being a silent main. Crono Trigger has style and so does Crono.
Marle: 5/10. Eh, no real feelings on her either way.
Lucca: 5/10. Eh, ditto.
Frog: 2/10. Distinct dislike and he's an idiot too! Apparently he's the only one who talks like a Ren Faire reject in his time. Telling.
Ayla: 6/10. Kicks the shit outta dinosaurs. Good enough for me.
Robo: 3/10. Not interesting.
Magus: 9/10. 15 year old+Magus=fan. He's a decent character as it is, and that's enough for nostalgia to turn him into a 9.

Ozzie: 3/10. Annoying.
Flea: 3/10. Annoying.
Slash: 3/10.
Azala 5/10.
Schala 6/10.
Queen Zeal 5/10.
Lavos 7/10.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2010, 06:46:14 PM »
Classic game:

Crono Trigger

Crono - Ugh.  Completely pointless silent main.  Go away.  1/10.
Marle - *shrug* Not really enamoured with CT's cast on the whole.  Had presence at least.  3/10.
Lucca - Eh.  3/10.
Frog - Completely bland.  2/10.
Ayla - *sigh* 2/10.
Robo - Meh.  3/10.
Magus - The bright spot in CT's cast.  6/10.

Ozzie - I'm usually more fond of comedic relief villains but Ozzie just annoyed me.  1/10.
Flea - Oh hey evil tranny.  1.5/10.
Slash - Bland.  1/10
Azala - RAR LIZARD SUPREMACY.  2/10
Schala - Abstain.
Queen Zeal - rar bitch.  2/10
Lavos - As a villain Lavos works wonderfully as a looming apocalyptic threat.  As a character?  Does not exist.  DNR.

Edit write-in: Dalton - More amusing than the fail trio but still annoyed me more than he did amuse me.  Gets half a point for fourth-wall breakage.  3.5/10
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 08:26:38 PM by Random Consonant »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2010, 04:28:56 PM »
Crono Trigger

Crono: 2/10. Gets above a 1 for that fistpump when his mother is lost in time.
Marle: 5/10. No real opinion.
Lucca: 6/10. SCIENCE!
Frog: 3/10. Yeah, only person in his era with that accent is pretty fail.
Ayla: 5/10. No real opinion.
Robo: 6/10. Somehow comes off as more human than most of the humans.
Magus: 8/10. Nostalgia? Yeah, perhaps. Still, he stuck out as unapologetically grey. His motives made sense, as did his cooperation with the party, but they never tried to gloss over or redeem what he'd done previously.

Ozzie: 5/10. Not the best comic villain, but I still liked him.
Flea: 3/10. Lacks presence, but hey, is a tranny.
Slash: 2/10. Just plain lacks presence.
Azala: 4/10. Last scene is decent, but that's about it. ALSO WHAT GENDER IS IT?
Schala: Abstain. Always liked Schala for no defensible reason at all, so my objective instinct to give her a bad score is at odds with that.
Queen Zeal: 6/10. Hey look, had presence. Even if it was just being a brainwashed crazy.
Lavos: 7/10. Nice looming cosmic threat.

EDIT: Dalton: 7/10. Now there's the game's effective comic villain. STOP THE MUSIC! hahaha. Also gets to be a fair bit more effectively villainous than most of his type, had a good plan after Zeal was destroyed.

Maybe.