Author Topic: Mascot Battle!  (Read 1386 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Mascot Battle!
« on: May 14, 2010, 04:34:39 AM »
Was bored, thought this might be entertaining. Mascots vying for which of them actually contributes the most to their individual game. I wasn't really being too serious with my choices here. Basically, if they weren't human and seemed like they were in the game to insert cuteness, they were fair game. Some of the PC-level ones were chosen to fill space.

Vote for who you found to be more useful in-game!

Mascots with some Respect:

Fubar (Suikoden3) vs. Cait Sith (FF7)
Koromaru (Persona3) vs. Valefor (FFX)
Blanca (SH2) vs. Volug (FE10)
Pikachu (PKMN) vs. Mog (FF6)

Mascots that still technically count as PCs:

Nils (FE7) vs. Roger S Huxley (SO3)
Prinny (Disgaeas) vs. Foomy (Lufia2)
Healie (DQ4) vs. Boco (FFT)
Magikarp (PKMN) vs. Guido (Grandia)

Mascots that don't even count as PCs (and Jogurt):

Hanpan (WA1) vs. Nall (Lunar1)
Interceptor (FF6) vs. Mieu (TotA)
Muncie (DQ8) vs. Mognet Moogles (FF9)
Jogurt (SF1) vs. Navi (Zelda:OoT)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:10:08 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Mascot Battle!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 05:01:08 AM »
Is it bad that I want to vote for Nall, despite liking his opponent better, just so I can use the line: "Hanpan is such a tool."?
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 05:11:22 AM »
The seriousness level of this competition is akin to OK's Villain tournament. If your goal is to make as many bad puns as possible, then clearly Nall deserves your vote.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 05:31:40 AM »

Fubar (Suikoden3) vs. Cait Sith (FF7)- Aside from my general policy of "always use Cloud+2 girls" in FFVII, Cait's never really a top 3 character, especially for someone inept with slots like myself.
Koromaru (Persona3) vs. Valefor (FFX)- Koro-chan defeated an enemy!  (More seriously, for various comments about Yuna's brokeness, I find that Aeons really pick up steam with Shiva.  Valefor is obviously good at a technical level but lacks that feel of being able to do things the full party can't.)
Blanca (SH2) vs. Volug (FE10)- Blanca's just not very good.  Volug is necessary for the "blarg we are slain" troop.
Pikachu (PKMN) vs. Mog (FF6)- I think I might vote for Pika if I'd gotten yellow forest early instead of 20 hours into the aftergame, but so it goes.

Nils (FE7) vs. Roger S Huxley (SO3)- A vote for Roger is a vote for CARTHRAT.  *nod*
Prinny (Disgaeas) vs. Foomy (Lufia2)- Meh, who cares if other helpers are better, Foomy's the easiest.

Munchie (DQ8) vs. Mognet Moogles (FF9)
Jogurt (SF1) vs. Navi (Zelda:OoT)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 05:34:15 AM »

Fubar (Suikoden3) vs. Cait Sith (FF7) - Riding gryphon > stuffed animal. Also, the name is hilarious. I cannot count how many times I used the line "and that one just got Fubar'd" when he killed something.
Koromaru (Persona3) vs. Valefor (FFX) - Giving this match the bird.
Blanca (SH2) vs. Volug (FE10) - Now if this were SF2 Blanka we'd have a match.
Pikachu (PKMN) vs. Mog (FF6) - Mog > everything.

Nils (FE7) vs. Roger S Huxley (SO3) - Not. Roger.
Prinny (Disgaeas) vs. Foomy (Lufia2) - He's town, dood! Just not as you know it~
Healie (DQ4) vs. Boco (FFT) - He wore a disguise to help us human guys, but he's not a man, he's a choco boo.
Magikarp (PKMN) vs. Guido (Grandia) - http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/377178

Hanpan (WA1) vs. Nall (Lunar1) - Except I've already made the joke now, so I can vote for Hanpan instead~
Interceptor (FF6) vs. Mieu (TotA) - Hmm. Only one I actually had to think about a bit.
Munchie (DQ8) vs. Mognet Moogles (FF9) - SPOILARS make Munchie more...creepy then awesome, to be frank.
Jogurt (SF1) vs. Navi (Zelda:OoT) - You can thankblame Dune for me thinking Navi is funny these days.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:41:37 AM by Gatewalker »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 06:18:45 AM »
Mascots with Some Respect:
Fubar (Suikoden3) vs. Cait Sith (FF7) - Just...so random.
Koromaru (Persona3) vs. Valefor (FFX) - He wore a little jacket. Nothing is cuter than a dog wearing a little dog-sized jacket.

Prinny (Disgaeas) vs. Foomy (Lufia2) - Welp. This division is boned, yessirreebob.
Healie (DQ4) vs. Boco (FFT) - Better fanart.

Munchie (DQ8) vs. Mognet Moogles (FF9) - Munchie is a cute little mouse with a mohawk. After-game stuff does not exist.
Jogurt (SF1) vs. Navi (Zelda:OoT) - Awww, look at his little helmet. He thinks he's people.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 08:44:48 AM »

Fubar (Suikoden3) vs. Cait Sith (FF7) - This is a close fight, but Fubar's name wins it.  Well, that, and Fubar isn't some corporate exec working a remote.
Koromaru (Persona3) vs. Valefor (FFX) - Devil Dogs > One Shot Bird things.
Pikachu (PKMN) vs. Mog (FF6) - Randomly tortures Ash Ketchum.

Nils (FE7) vs. Roger S Huxley (SO3) - At least the guy he got caught by is worthy of a name.
Prinny (Disgaeas) vs. Foomy (Lufia2) - Prinny Baseball
Healie (DQ4) vs. Boco (FFT) - Shows up more often.
Magikarp (PKMN) vs. Guido (Grandia) - Eventually stops being an annoying waste of space.

Hanpan (WA1) vs. Nall (Lunar1) - Better dialogue
Muncie (DQ8) vs. Mognet Moogles (FF9) - Even with the Spoilers, Munchie still takes it.
Jogurt (SF1) vs. Navi (Zelda:OoT) - I kept on waiting for the dungeon where you got the Flyswatter.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 10:13:56 AM »
No Jack frost? I guess he'd void the point of such a contest being so great and all so I understand.

Blanca (SH2) vs. Volug (FE10) - One is a cool wolf while the other is a dirty, half naked sub-human manslave.
Pikachu (PKMN) vs. Mog (FF6) - I care very little for Mog but I don't really use Pikachu however Pikachu has mad plot powers that allow it to somehow stand toe to toe with things that would normally crush it.

Prinny (Disgaeas) vs. Foomy (Lufia2) - No contest.
Magikarp (PKMN) vs. Guido (Grandia) - When Magikarp evolves it becomes one hell of a beefcake.

Muncie (DQ8) vs. Mognet Moogles (FF9) - The moogles are fun little critters while the other is a respectable old man, who cares deeply for his grandson and deserves massive amounts of respect for his hard work over the years considering how dull and difficult it must have been. If not for Muncie's divine guidence and cheese based abilities the party could never have defeated the near invincible dark god Rhapthorne. Lets not forget also that it was infact Muncie that stoped the curse Dhoulmagus sets on you but being humble allowed the D.Lord to take the credit. His mere presence caused even the mad Sir Leopold to run in terror around the world but he isn't just strong oh no. He is the wisest sage who has ever lived seeing through Marcello's act instantly and he also taught Guv many of his most potent skills such as Miracle Slash, Omniheal, Gigagash and finally Dragon Soul. Muncie was such a pillar of strength, wisdom, guidence and sheer greatness that I must vote for him over the Mognet Moogles.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 03:01:14 PM »
Fubar (Suikoden3) vs. Cait Sith (FF7)
Koromaru (Persona3) vs. Valefor (FFX)

Muncie (DQ8) vs. Mognet Moogles (FF9)
Jogurt (SF1) vs. Navi (Zelda:OoT) This is mainly because of all my friends who have "Hey, Listen" as their ringtone for when they get a text message.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 11:29:29 PM »

Fubar (Suikoden3) vs. Cait Sith (FF7): Gameplaywise, I typically bench Fubar at the first opportunity (animals aren't very good) while Cait is a fine PC. Plotwise, um yeah, I like Fubar, but no.
Blanca (SH2) vs. Volug (FE10): Obviously the far better PC, and doesn't have Blanca's personality.
Pikachu (PKMN) vs. Mog (FF6): Hmm, sure.

Nils (FE7) vs. Roger S Huxley (SO3): Roger is hilarious but that's not really to his credit, more the game's.
Prinny (Disgaeas) vs. Foomy (Lufia2): It's a bad sign when I see this match and think "Foomy is from Meeple Fantasy 6, not Lufia 2, Djinn you made a mista- oh wait".
Healie (DQ4) vs. Boco (FFT): Is a chocobo.
Magikarp (PKMN) vs. Guido (Grandia): Is Magikarp! Uses Splash attack!

Hanpan (WA1) vs. Nall (Lunar1): I don't remember Hanpan having much of a personality in either WA1 version, Nall I remember just fine in two different games.
Interceptor (FF6) vs. Mieu (TotA): The dog eats humans.
Muncie (DQ8) vs. Mognet Moogles (FF9): Munchie might have been cool if the game remembered he existed more than once every twenty hours. But that's DQ8 for you.
Jogurt (SF1) vs. Navi (Zelda:OoT): No comment.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Taishyr

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 11:53:50 PM »

Fubar (Suikoden3)
vs. Cait Sith (FF7) - Meh, I used Fubar more, but I'm weird. I liked keeping him/Hugo together.
Koromaru (Persona3) vs. Valefor (FFX) - Vague kneejerk. Not really that interested either way.
Pikachu (PKMN) vs. Mog (FF6) - The DL: where this is actually something resembling a match.

Hanpan (WA1) vs. Nall (Lunar1) - Better dialogue, IMO.
Muncie (DQ8) vs. Mognet Moogles (FF9) - What NEB said.
Jogurt (SF1) vs. Navi (Zelda:OoT) - ...........

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 12:49:05 AM »

Fubar (Suikoden3) vs. Cait Sith (FF7): FF7 PCs can only be so bad; Suiko Monsters that aren't Shiro, meanwhile, fail to impress.
Koromaru (Persona3) vs. Valefor (FFX): Can't vote.
Blanca (SH2) vs. Volug (FE10): Blanca is replacable, Volug is not, even before factoring how good he is overall.
Pikachu (PKMN) vs. Mog (FF6): Pikachu's claim to fame was basically the only reasonable Electric type...which is no long a big niche now that Magnemite doesn't suck, stuff like Electrike exists in other games, etc.  Flipside, Mog freaking rules the WoB, and remains solid in the WoR.

Nils (FE7) vs. Roger S Huxley (SO3): FE Bard/Dancer >>>> Roger.
Prinny (Disgaeas) vs. Foomy (Lufia2): Hey, Prinnies are better than nothing when you first get them! Meanwhile, Foomy didn't even register as existing when he existed.
Healie (DQ4) vs. Boco (FFT): One saves your ass against Ragnar, the other just kind of exists.
Magikarp (PKMN) vs. Guido (Grandia): Becomes Gyarados eventually, which beats Guido!  Also, Magikarp > Guido on principle.

Hanpan (WA1) vs. Nall (Lunar1): Resurrecting you after each fight > Tools!  Hanpan has one good scene...but Nall is from Lunar, which sort of offsets that...immensely.
Interceptor (FF6) vs. Mieu (TotA): I found Mieu the forced kind of cute; you know "Little high pitched talking mammal!" thing?  Rather than genuine cute.  Also pure puzzles.  Interceptor is an attack dog and pretty awesome because of it!
Muncie (DQ8) vs. Mognet Moogles (FF9): Munchie did stuff <.<?  Mognet Moogles get you a protect Ring eventually, and have various fun stuff throughout the game!
Jogurt (SF1) vs. Navi (Zelda:OoT): Oh sure, Tai, give us a match where Jogurt wins undeniably.  Fine, want a reason?  Navi made me want to turn Zelda: OoT off repeatedly; if that's not the opposite of contributing to a game, I don't know what is!
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Bardiche

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 03:42:14 AM »

Fubar (Suikoden3) vs. Cait Sith (FF7) - Unique in its cast VS generic when compared to everyone else.
Pikachu (PKMN) vs. Mog (FF6) - High speed Thunder Wave.

Nils (FE7) vs. Roger S Huxley (SO3) - These two are mascots?
Prinny (Disgaeas) vs. Foomy (Lufia2) - Not that into suicide bomber terrorists.
Magikarp (PKMN) vs. Guido (Grandia) - ...

Hanpan (WA1) vs. Nall (Lunar1) - Hanpan is such a to--*shot*
Interceptor (FF6) vs. Mieu (TotA) - Cuter.
Jogurt (SF1) vs. Navi (Zelda:OoT) - Hey! Listen! Hey! Hey! Listen! Listen! Hey! Listen!