Register

Author Topic: Phantom Brave Mafia - Game Topic (GAME OVER)  (Read 21335 times)

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Phantom Brave Mafia - Game Topic (GAME OVER)
« on: March 04, 2008, 09:12:04 AM »
It had been a year since Sulphur had been banished from Ivoire. People had slowly returned to their normal lives without a constant shadow of fear hanging above them.

Until one day, a different, more literal kind of darkness started to creep over Ivoire. Twisting people's shapes and voices, it made them unrecognizable to each other...worse yet, people started falling into a coma from which they would not awaken. Rumors of Sulphur's reawakening started to rise.

Those who were not locked in their houses out of fear decided to hold a meeting at Vapor Island. Would the truth behind this new phenomenon be found before it's too late?

---

Rule goodness.

- No editing your posts.
- No talking outside the thread unless your role specifically states that you may.
- No posting during game nights.
- No spectator posts. Period.
- Don't directly quote your role PM.
- PLAY TO WIN.

---

WINNER:

Lady Door - Summoned Sulphur (Marona, SCUM Godfather/Messenger)

Losers:

EvilTom - Hospitalized (Raphael, Vanilla TOWN, Day 1)
Corwin - Fallen into a coma (Castile, TOWN Cop, Night 1)
AndrewRogue - Mobbed (Walnut, TOWN Miller, Day 2)
Excal - Fallen into a coma (Cauldron, Vanilla TOWN, Night 2)
Otter - Spirited away (Ash, Vanilla TOWN, Day 3)
superaielman - Torn into pieces (Sienna, Vanilla TOWN, aftergame)

---

Deadlines for each day will be 48 hours long. In case majority vote (hammer) is not reached there will be NO LYNCH.

Ciato is co-modding the game.

Day 1 will end in 48 hours. With 7 alive, it takes 4 to lynch.

Have fun! (yes this is strictly enforced)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 06:14:39 PM by Tonfa »
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: Phantom Brave Mafia - Game Topic (DAY 1)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 09:24:43 AM »
Can't say I know much about the flavour here, but the only thing to do when you come across unfamiliar waters is to jump in and swim.  Gets you used to the cold much quicker too.

Anyways...  I don't really have much more than that to say at the moment, except for a quick encouragement for the rest of you to speak up, say something, and help us ferret out whoever it is that's doing all of this nefarious wrong-doing.

Corwin

• My Natsuki....
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 10:29:24 AM »
Ditto on the flavor, though the source seems fun enough to pick up somewhere down the line, if you go by wikipedia.

And Excal is horribly suspicious, with his stealing of the first post!

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 02:30:21 PM »
48 hours, with no-lynch enforced if we don't hit majority by then?  We should not fail to choose quickly, then.

Cor's calling Excal suspicious for posting first?  But surely somebody has to post first or the scum will win by default in this setup!  Therefore posting first is pro-town behavior!  Therefore Cor is trying to confuse us so he must be scum, amirite.

Corwin

• My Natsuki....
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 02:49:06 PM »
Not for posting, but for beating me to it, surely a highly suspicious act in itself. Yet Otter's reading comprehension strikes again in a sinister manner, perhaps a ploy of his to pretend to misread another person's posts to generate undue suspicion over them!

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 04:12:44 PM »
First it's claiming that posting first is suspicious, and now it's being able to delve into your hidden meanings?  How odd that with each post you manage to find new and exciting pro-town behaviours to denounce!  clearly this is already called for!

##Vote: Corwin

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 04:15:32 PM »
Can't say I know much about the flavour here, but the only thing to do when you come across unfamiliar waters is to jump in and swim.  Gets you used to the cold much quicker too.

Anyways...  I don't really have much more than that to say at the moment, except for a quick encouragement for the rest of you to speak up, say something, and help us ferret out whoever it is that's doing all of this nefarious wrong-doing.

Sulphur's a demon that can possess people. He fills the victims with evil energy and they gain power but go off the deep end.  The flavor fits nicely with a basic mafia setup.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 04:22:42 PM »
Goooood morning, then.

While the post jumping and all of that is indeed mighty suspicious, I think it's also worth noting that we're more than 1/4 of the way through the first 1/2 of Day 1 and only 5/7 of us have posted! Mighty suspicious indeed!

It's also too early for coherent fractions.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Corwin

• My Natsuki....
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 06:14:27 PM »
Since when is not paying attention such a pro-town quality, pray tell? Whatever. I think I'll wait till morning until everyone's checked in before placing my exciting day 1 vote.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 07:28:32 PM »
Checking in. A bit busy right this sec (need to beat Shadow of the Colossus again for class) but will check back in right quick.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 10:07:22 PM »
Exciting and Dynamic Votecount!

Corwin (1): Excal

35 hours and a few minutes left before deadline. With 7 alive, 4 votes are required to lynch.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 10:09:45 PM »
Hokay. Slow day is slow, and past 12 hours in (my fractions, which are correct this time, mean that's a bit over 1/4 of the way through Day 1) and we're still missing someone.

Otter! Where aaaaare yooooou?

##VOTE Otter

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 10:10:50 PM »
Okay, so "missing" is entirely relative.

I mean "hasn't posted in the last 1/2 of the first 1/4 of Day 1."

I also think I'm done with the fractions because they're really starting to confuse me. Obviously.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 10:12:11 PM »
..Uh? Otter posted near the top. EvilTom's the only one who hasn't posted yet.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 10:17:18 PM »
Yeah. I was being sneaky-sneaky and typing as the professor was speaking and my brain got the better of me and made me remember that Otter was the last to confirm his PM rather than that EvilTom hadn't posted yet. That, and fractions. Note that the lecture I'm in (in which we're now watching a movie) is for an English class. That should say everything it needs to about my math abilities, as if my last few posts haven't.

Oh!

But look on the bright side!

I MADE A MISTAKE!

Maybe people will talk now.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 10:36:53 PM »
I sure as hell hope so, the game doesn't have too long. I want to hold off on voting however- it only takes a few votes to get a train started and we're still early, even in a short game.

*Kicks Tom.
-------------------

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 02:08:50 AM »
And?  A train can tell you something and tends to spark discussion.  Just holding your vote close and never doing anything with it, on the other hand, is something which rarely helps town.  So, I'm getting a bit worried of all those folk who seem to think it is a clever and exciting idea to wait until everyone has posted to start voting.

That said, Dread Thomas, the longer you wait, the less chance you'll get to convince us that you are one with the masses, and not partaking of that nefarious dark power we're all trying to squelch out.  So, please, speak.  We want to hear your words.

Finally, Lady Door, I am glad that you decided to drop the fractions.  They were needlessly confusing, and doing such things, though fun, tends to lead to muddled arguments, which is again not in our collective interests.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 02:11:34 AM »
Starting a train for no reason this early in a small game is however idiotic, which is the point I was trying to make. It's not like we have a huge margin for error here.
-------------------

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 02:29:17 AM »
Starting a train for no reason is idiotic regardless of when it happens.  Not placing a vote for fear of starting a train isn't terribly helpful either.  Especially when you don't even give any suggestion of where that vote would go.  We need to vote, we need to form trains.  Doing it early isn't an issue so long as an early hammer doesn't needlessly cut off active discussion.  In fact, so long as a hammer isn't slapped up too early (and with the new board features that's not terribly likely to happen accidentally) early trains help us because it sparks serious debate with someone riding on the outcome.  Heck, let's look at the two scenarios of early hammer.  Town doesn't want it, as it leads to a bad decision on stifled debate.  So, it's in scum's favour.  Which means that only a bad scum would do it, as that person is guaranteed to have to do a fine song and dance to avoid a lynch when the scum can afford to be patient and not get that black mark.  After all, if they really want that person dead, they've got a whole night to do it in.

So, honestly, while I can understand your point, it's not helping town to hold back.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 02:53:27 AM »
When did I say I was afraid to place a vote? I don't see a reason to place a jokevote now, and a serious vote I'd rather hold off on until at least everyone weighs in. My vote's currently leaning towards a pressure vote on Tom, but hell if I'm going to do that until he posts. Town's going to have to play a very good game to win this time. Corwin and EvilTom are both in different timezones from the rest of the US and that's two of the games's players regardless of alignment.

-------------------

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 04:15:14 AM »
The fractions confused me, too. They were mostly there for my own entertainment, so once it got past the twiddling thumbs stage (and I thoroughly lost track of what I was actually fractioning) it needed to go.

Really wondering about Tom. I hatehatehate LaL for no-shows, but it's getting closer and closer to the 24-hour mark with nary a word. A bye is not a good precedent to set.

As far as super's hesitance to vote and Excal's hintings that it's bad play... well... see Ciato in WaDF. The hesitation is bad if all of town does it, is certainly something that's going to draw suspicion if one person does it, but doesn't inherently say "scum" to me. Now, mind, that's Day 1. I think it's silly to hold off on voting for fear of starting/pushing trains when it takes 4 votes to lynch and it's Day 1 with 4 people who thus far have NO votes. S'all good as long as super realizes it draws attention to himself.

Excal's argument about starting trains is kind of ... eh. I get the point -- town discussion = yay!, train = defend yourself = things for town to discuss = yay!, scum is better served by hiding/biding -> if you do it, you're acting scummy = boo -- but it has waaaaaaaay too much room for manipulation. All WIFOMy, in fact, since it's out there now as a binary of bad for town/scum play. That said, I agree with the premise. It's essentially the "this r srs bizness" discussion.

Corwin

• My Natsuki....
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 06:22:12 AM »
Question to LD~

From your votepost and the follow up post, you make it seem like you were trying to vote for that someone who is still missing. That is clearly Tom, not Otter, as you later realize. However, your vote remains on Otter. Can you please explain your choice?

<-->

##Vote: EvilTom for having the chance to check in and not, y'know, doing it. Or having any pressure votes at all to compel him.

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2008, 06:51:44 AM »
Quick question to Super.

Quote from: super
My vote's currently leaning towards a pressure vote on Tom, but hell if I'm going to do that until he posts.

Uh, explain this one?  When I returned just now and caught up real quick, I was all set to put a pressure vote on Tom until I saw that Rat did it right at the end of my page.  I'm not going to right now because the call-out vote has been placed, but my question is, why are you insisting that you won't vote for him until after he posts?  That sorta implies that he can, you know, not post and you won't vote for him.  Are you opposed to using votes as pressure on people to force them to start talking or die?  Personally, if he doesn't say anything whatsoever through day 1, I'm not sure what business we have not voting for him.  There's a reason we use votes to pressure people into talking; if everyone decides not to add votes until he's actually shown up, well, suddenly he's got no motive to appear and can just write it off later (lyingly) as a big real-life thing that prevented him from getting to a computer.  We don't want to reward scum for lurking, here.

That said, he's been called out, and I'll be switching my vote to him towards the end of the day if he keeps his silence act up but for now I'm going to pressure Andrew, who's only supplied us with one line of excuse so far.  Nothing personal obviously, I just recognize that as being next-to-nothing in terms of game presence and I am pressuring Andrew to give more than that.

##VOTE: Andrew

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 07:20:52 AM »
Yup, Corwin. Easy answer is that it was not a pressure vote aimed at one person in particular so much as a vote on the table to prod for more activity from everyone, or at least it turned into something as general as that as soon as I realized I'd tagged Otter-who-had-posted instead of Tom-who-had-not and thought about how easy a mistake that was since neither had much presence (not that I could blame them). It's irrelevant now, though, so:

##UNVOTE Otter

Tom's the obvious target given that we're quickly approaching 24 hours without a peep from him, but as Otter has pointed out there's Andrew with a "presence" that isn't much better. What to do, what to do...?

Wait, I think. I'm in no rush to push for trains when the votes are there in favor of encouraging activity. It's true that nothing coaxes activity out like a death threat, but it's also true that there's no reason to bull-rush into a lynch so very early in when we have everything to gain by more talking. So.

Talk! Particularly looking at you, Tom and Andrew. Don't set the stage for LaL arguments.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 08:09:12 AM »
*Kicks Tom.
Ow that hurt!
Yeah, I missed the first 24 hours, sorry. Doesn't look like I missed much though. I mean,
Checking in. A bit busy right this sec (need to beat Shadow of the Colossus again for class) but will check back in right quick.
Isn't an exactly an epic post. Now that I've posted more than "BBL", I've already posted more content than others. That wasn't hard o.o
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.