imageRegister

Author Topic: Phantom Brave Mafia - Game Topic (GAME OVER)  (Read 21343 times)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Re: Phantom Brave Mafia - Game Topic (DAY 1)
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
I, on the other hand, shall add pressure to Tom at this point.

##Vote: Tom

We've got very little to go off at this point. There are very few things of note, but going down the list...

1. Tom not having posted.
2. Lady Door's posting mistakes.
3. Otter's posting mistake (Rat isn't in this game and all, that would be Corwin's vote...).
4. The short set of argumentation around Excal/Lady Door/Super.

While Otter's slip, especially after he comes out to vote me for non-presence, is a bit worrying. I feel similar concerns about Lady Door, but, at the same time, she also has some presence.

With all that in mind... Tom feels like the best choice at the moment, with Otter coming in a close second.

Post Tom ;_;

Ninja'd Edit: ...rather, post something relevant, man. While I realize that posting, in and of itself, can be good, it is not so good to come in, vaguely waggle a finger at another lurker and then retreat once more. I at least look like I read the topic here. You seem to be just dropping by to try and get rid of pressure.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2008, 08:22:41 AM »
I was all set to put a pressure vote on Tom until I saw that Rat did it right at the end of my page
Huh? I did a double-take and checked to see if he was playing or not. Rat? What? Huh? Did you mean Corwin? Is that just a slip-up or a typo or something, I'm confused.

why are you insisting that you won't vote for him until after he posts?  That sorta implies that he can, you know, not post and you won't vote for him.
I fully agree with Otter here; your stance doesn't make much sense in that regard. Why were you too afraid to place the vote before I'd posted? Doesn't voting for me *after* I've posted defeat the purpose?

I'd tagged Otter-who-had-posted instead of Tom-who-had-not and [...] It's irrelevant now, though
Is it irrelevant? I'm not so sure. It's something to keep an eye on at any rate.

Wait, I think. I'm in no rush to push for trains when the votes are there in favor of encouraging activity. It's true that nothing coaxes activity out like a death threat, but it's also true that there's no reason to bull-rush into a lynch so very early in when we have everything to gain by more talking. So.
What you said just there... wasn't a whole lot. I see town-rotism... and a big circle? It seems like you're saying 'we can do this, but we shouldn't do it, and I'm not going to do it'.

You've told me and Andrew to talk. Which is fair enough. I've talked, and we can 'wait' on Andrew, but we can't just wait around all day and lynch him if he doesn't say anything. Just telling the two of us to talk is a start, but not absolutely helpful.

Hmm.
Ninja'd by Andrew, typical. Lol, we NINJAD EACH OTHER!
I'm gunna post this then read his.
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2008, 08:25:48 AM »
Ninja'd Edit: ...rather, post something relevant, man. While I realize that posting, in and of itself, can be good, it is not so good to come in, vaguely waggle a finger at another lurker and then retreat once more. I at least look like I read the topic here. You seem to be just dropping by to try and get rid of pressure.
No, sorry. I was just typing up a bigger post in the meantime, and I dropped that first one. Just bad timing.
Still, you could be nicer about it!

I agree with you 100% on points #2 and #3 though, you'll notice I independantly made the same observations. That gives some merit to them. I'd be prepared to go with LD, followed by Otter at this stage.

..then again, I'm currently leading on votes thanks to you. But you hadn't seen my 'big' post yet which I was still typing up. So I'll forgive you for now.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2008, 08:30:27 AM »
Sorry if I came across as irritable. I'm a little more curt than normal, as I've been sick the last week+, had a lot of work and didn't sleep well. So! It wasn't intended as being rude/mean. It was just a little more curtness than I tend to deliver.

With Tom temporarily dealt with, real post and all (I recommend a "Typing a bigger reply, just checking in" notice if you do that in the future)...

##Unvote: Tom
##Vote: Otter

I'd like to hear about that confusion.

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2008, 08:36:31 AM »
What is there to say?  I meant Corwin.  Rat isn't even playing in this game.

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2008, 08:47:27 AM »
Quote from: Andrew
While Otter's slip, especially after he comes out to vote me for non-presence, is a bit worrying

It's especially bad because I called you out for non-presence?  Are you seriously calling OMGUS on that?  I called you out on non-presence with that vote because you weren't present.  If you're against calling out clearly absent people with votes, well, say so, but it looks to me like the pressure worked fine, because you're talking now.

##UNVOTE: Andrew

Tom seems to be here now, which is A Good Thing, but I'm not really happy with his explanation.

Quote from: Tom
Yeah, I missed the first 24 hours, sorry. Doesn't look like I missed much though.

That's it?  No "Sorry, I hadn't realized the topic was up," or anything like that?  You just decided to skip the first half of the day?  It doesn't bode well that you're saying "Eh, I didn't miss much," either, because if you're actually a townie then it should be your goal to start things.  Viewing the game reactively like this ("I didn't miss much," rather than "I wasn't around to help start things off") smacks of bad town play (or, well, scum play) to me, because as I've stated over and over, town needs to forge ahead and act of its own volition to win.  Sitting back and letting things come as they will is the same thing as forfeiting for us, while on the scum side it's a great strategy if you can get away with it ("Hey, let's lie back, post just enough to avoid getting scanned as a heavy lurker without getting too deeply involved, and watch as arguing townies lynch each other!").

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »
It's especially bad because I called you out for non-presence?  Are you seriously calling OMGUS on that?  I called you out on non-presence with that vote because you weren't present.  If you're against calling out clearly absent people with votes, well, say so, but it looks to me like the pressure worked fine, because you're talking now.

I believe my tiredness is making me a bit inclined to poor phrasing.

Rather, your slip looks particularly bad to me because you yourself had a similar presence (one post, earlier in the day, nada content-wise). You then explode out of the gate to (I will admit, legitimately) vote for me on my own lack of presence. However, you do little to address your own personal absence, and, in fact, compound the whole issue by not only confusing who made a vote, but confusing it with someone who wasn't even in the game.

In shorter terms, it looks like you basically hopped on, picked a lurker who didn't have a vote and struck out, which is what bothers me. It shows that you scanned the topic, at least, but gestures towards you not having really... well... looked at any of it closely. Just enough to know myself, Tom and you were lurking, and that Tom already had a vote.

EvilTom

• Dread Thomas
  • Denizen
  • G'day mate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2008, 09:08:27 AM »
Um, yeah, I wasn't around. The game hadn't started when I first checked it, then I was asleep for the first part of the 24 hours and then I had a 10 hour day at uni. Do all these reasons make you feel better? Personally I don't see the point in excuses. I wasn't here for the first part, and I accepted that, I accepted the vote I received for it, I apologised and hoped we could move on.

Otter, you seem intent to distract things from yourself, and... well.. you've made some big attacks on myself and Andrew. Rather angry attacks. To me it looks like you're just striking at at both of us, hoping it will somehow catch on and start a train to save yourself.

What makes even less sense, is the way you attack Andrew, and then *unvote* him. Obviously you're trying to curry favour with him, so he'll remove your... one vote? Why are you so super-jumpy? You have one vote on you, and you're freaking out. It's bizarre.

I was planning on voting LD as my preference over you, but that has now changed, your appearance and actions are rather scummy and I'm glad we have something to go on, with time running out.

##Vote: Otter

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2008, 09:49:53 AM »
Curry favor with Andrew?  You're mistaken, and I suggest you check over my posts again.  I voted for Andrew because he wasn't here, and when the pressure vote for presence had served its purpose, I removed it.  Andrew's here now.  If you're going to say I look scummy, you need to do better than "You removed the pressure vote when the reason for it disappeared!  SCUM."

Quote from: Tom
Otter, you seem intent to distract things from yourself, and... well.. you've made some big attacks on myself and Andrew. Rather angry attacks. To me it looks like you're just striking at at both of us, hoping it will somehow catch on and start a train to save yourself.

If you think I'm making "angry attacks," well, I disagree.  You're making your position as a reactionary player in this game pretty clear by your attitude towards day 1, and that's a scumtell to me because townies can't afford to be reactionary in Mafia.  My vote on Andrew wasn't personal at all, it simply made no sense to let Andrew fly by without posting anything and not receive pressure for it, and the rest of the town seemed to be ignoring him.

Oh, and what exactly makes you think I have to save myself with distraction tactics?  I haven't been in danger.  Andrew threw one vote at me while asking for an explanation regarding the fact that I misspoke, which I provided immediately.  Unless he's dissatisfied with my explanation, he has no reason to keep that there, although he appears to have disappeared after laying the vote down.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 11:35:34 AM »
Exciting and Dynamic Votecount!

Corwin (1): Excal
EvilTom (1): Corwin
Otter (2): AndrewRogue, EvilTom

A little over 21 and a half hours remain in Day 1. With 7 alive, 4 votes are needed to lynch.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Corwin

• My Natsuki....
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008, 01:05:34 PM »
Let's see. Don't like Tom's original explanation for not posting, though his latter post works well enough for that. Don't like his reasoning behind his Otter vote, either. The whole currying favor thing seems weird to me, while to him it's obvious. Go figure.

Quick question to Super.

Quote from: super
My vote's currently leaning towards a pressure vote on Tom, but hell if I'm going to do that until he posts.

Uh, explain this one?

This deserves a mention. And by mention I mean I second the request for an explanation. Town needing a good game and every mistake being more painful than usual is one thing, but holding back on one's vote for that reason is counter-productive. If we only end up lynching someone in a last-minute train, the voting record would be nigh-useless day 2 for us.

I'm currently keeping my vote on Tom because his attack on Otter doesn't look so hot, and in the absence of a solid candidate at this point (and Tom not being in danger of a lynch at this point) I don't have a better target. Therefore, it seems suspect to me to not use one's vote even as means of pressuring others.

Question the second to LD! Why weren't you using your votes as a means of pressure on either of the two people you defined as lurkers in your last post? You talk about not wishing to default to LAL, but using the pressure votes to get people to talk is actually the opposite of doing that, and the chances of starting a train this early on are ridiculously low. Therefore, why the unvote, a stern word to Andrew and Tom, and no followup voting?

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 02:42:58 PM »
Since when is not paying attention such a pro-town quality, pray tell? Whatever. I think I'll wait till morning until everyone's checked in before placing my exciting day 1 vote.

Corwin, I actually have  a couple of questions about this post of yours here.  First there's your claim that you want to wait until everyone's posted before you lay down any votes.  Granted, my concern over this is mitigated a great deal by the fact that you made this post early and right before you went to bed, but it's still a somewhat interesting stance, do you ot agree?

The second is the reference to not paying attention.  So far as I can tell, there was no true indication of a lack of attention thus far in the game when you made that comment.

Corwin

• My Natsuki....
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 03:08:19 PM »
To Excal, re: not voting early on day 1: Part of this comes from not taking it well myself when I'm accused of lurking when I am, in fact, sleeping. Therefore, it didn't feel right to vote Tom before I went to bed because he realistically would only be up in several hours. At the beginning of day 1, there is always the possibility of people simply not knowing the game had started, especially if they're not in the US or #dl regulars.

The second is the reference to not paying attention.  So far as I can tell, there was no true indication of a lack of attention thus far in the game when you made that comment.

I would beg to differ, except part of that was pretty much the regular day 1 game opening. I don't intend to be anal and get technical about how you and Otter didn't read my first couple of posts properly, thus resulting in a mischaracterization of them, since I wasn't exactly imparting any precious pearls of wisdom in them. On a relevant note (and the reason for me quoting you here) is that there has been more of this later on, wouldn't you agree? That's how the way you word things makes you sound (the 'when you made that comment' part). An obvious example would be Otter calling me Rat. Do you see other examples?

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2008, 05:00:28 PM »
Otter: I wasn't willing to put a pressure vote on him at that stage of the game. He does have the excuse of being in a different time zone and starting someone off in the hole like that for possibly innocent timezone reasons really sucks. I had the same thing happen to me in FFT Mafia, and it badly puts a player on the defensive.Now if it had been another day? Yeah, I'd say string him up. But we were still relatively early into day one at that point. I never said that I'd be unwilling to vote or put pressure on, just not quite at that point of this game.

Rereading the topic now and going to respond to the Otter/Tom/Andrew stuff when I'm done with that.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008, 05:14:02 PM »
Tom and Andrew:

Which mistakes are you talking about? Please cite if you're going to make general statements like that which haven't really popped up before. It's not a stretch to see at least part of what you're referring to, but specificity is helpful. I mean this in general, too, not just for me. Making some off-handed observation can become a mischaracterization later ("oh yeah, Lady Door HAS been making mistakes since the very beginning! scum!") and setting the stage for that is pretty scummy behavior. Legitimate complaint, good. Vague mention of complaint, not good. Tom I only see citing my explanation for keeping my vote on Otter and the subsequent removal of vote, while he says he agrees 100% with Andrew's point mentioning my mistakes. (For the record, it was indeed irrelevant when I posted that because 1) Otter had posted; 2) both you and Andrew, the other people I would've prodded for activity, had a pressure vote. More on this below.)

Re: Tom's confusion over my decision to wait (which is also Corwin's question the second, conveniently):

Three things at play here. 1) That was my last post for the evening. 2) Tom and Andrew both had a vote. 3) I had no real reason to differentiate them.

1) I didn't intend for it to be my last post for the evening, but I was feeling pretty tired at that point. I didn't intend to drop a vote I wasn't sure I'd be able to do anything about for 8+ hours, especially since there's an apparent explosion of activity in those hours. "Train" doesn't take much -- my vote on either Tom or Andrew would put them at -2 from lynch, and there were more than 2 people that were capable of pushing that along while I wasn't around to do anything about it. Then I would have lynched someone for lurking when they quite possibly had ended up coming back and having a fully involved argument that would've swayed my argument somewhere else. Or whatever. Point is, possibilities were uncomfortably high in favor of something bad happening when it need not.

2) I considered 1 vote enough to pressure both of them at the time. We hadn't yet hit 24 hours, and my reasoning was pretty much as Corwin says in the post above me: there are plenty of legitimate reasons why he might not have showed up in the first half of Day 1, including missing the topic, bad schedule coincidence, etc. They're certainly not things I'm going to forgive lightly in the future -- "oh, lawl, sorry guys, forgot this game existed" doesn't fly -- but they were no reason to act against my hesitations from point #1.

3) Andrew v. Tom is honestly exactly the same as where I was in Otter v. Tom. Who I voted for didn't really matter. The point was to pick one of them and call out both. I had no reason to differentiate between the two -- Tom hadn't checked in at all, and Andrew had checked in but only barely; which is worse? which is most likely to be rectified with a vote? -- and thus choosing one of them over the other (especially when I wasn't going to be around to defend that choice) would have been a study in arbitrary action. Arbitrary action which could end poorly. It's kind of hard to defend myself when the train gets analyzed the day after he gets lynched by saying I had no real reason for voting him.

Observations of other things:

i) Tom seems pretty high strung. Post 1, squeaking in less than 1 hour before it had been an official 24 since the beginning of the game, is somewhat iffy, a la Otter's observation. There is just something about his tone that's rubbing me the wrong way, too. It's particularly pronounced in this post:

No, sorry. I was just typing up a bigger post in the meantime, and I dropped that first one. Just bad timing.
Still, you could be nicer about it!

I agree with you 100% on points #2 and #3 though, you'll notice I independantly made the same observations. That gives some merit to them. I'd be prepared to go with LD, followed by Otter at this stage.

..then again, I'm currently leading on votes thanks to you. But you hadn't seen my 'big' post yet which I was still typing up. So I'll forgive you for now.

Magnanimity feels wrong to me a lot, but I think that's because it's often used sarcastically. In this post, he seems to be telling Andrew he'd OMGUS but for this forgiveness. He's also careful to point out he independently made the same observations as Andrew during a cross-post. Nevermind the fact that these observations are concrete things that required absolutely no logical deduction (other than "hey, Rat isn't in this game, that can't be right"). The interesting thing for me here is that, on the surface, this looks as innocent as "we both independently made the same argument, hmmmmmm, that could mean something" but I could easily see as "hey, people, ignore the fact that Andrew and I are agreeing in favor of this point we're making against these other people!" This is especially reinforced when Andrew's response to that post is to remove his vote on Tom and move it to one of those two people they agreed on. Yes, it makes sense concretely. In sequence, however, it looks a little different.

... this is getting more and more wall-of-text-y, so I'm going to break this here and continue in another post. Hi, super.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008, 05:23:12 PM »
Mmm. The Otter stuff's a bit damning. Tom's attacks seem pretty inaccurate- Otter himself went over the mistake, but it's worth repeating again. He clearly wasn't toadying Andrew at all and put forth a pretty good vote on him.

Otter is coming off fairly strongly as town so far. He's defended himself fairly well and has provided a fair bit of new content by pressuring Andrew. I'd actually like to see Andrew explain why he kept his vote on Otter as well.

Edit: Smacked by LadyDoor. Gimme a sec to read.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2008, 05:30:25 PM »
Continued from previous!

ii) I find it funny that Andrew calls out Otter for pot calling the kettle black, which is then pot calling the kettle black.  I also completely don't understand his insistence on a fuller explanation from Otter as to why he said Rat instead of Corwin. What is he going to say? "Oh, Rat has been coaching me on how to be better scum, and I had just been talking to him, so I got the two confused!" I just can't take any significance from him having said Rat -- who isn't in the game -- instead of Corwin. You had to have seen Otter's earlier reply, Andrew, so why are you still asking for an explanation?

iii) I don't see the anger Tom says Otter is showing. I don't see that Otter needs to save himself with only one vote on him. In fact, in the very same post, you say there is no need for him to be super-jumpy about one vote. You can't have it both ways. He doesn't need to "save himself" if he's not in any danger. If you agree that he isn't in any danger, what is it that you see as him attempting to save himself?

In fact, if we're going to go THAT route, it looks far more likely that you're trying to do the exact same thing you're accusing Otter of. Especially since your post previous ends with you 'jokingly' going "curse ye, Andrew, for putting me closest to the lynch."

The language in this post is also supremely bizarre. "Obviously you're trying to curry favor with him..." Say what now? "Obviously"? "Curry favor"? Because he removed his pressure vote when it was responded to? I can see the confusion, since Otter does seem to be upset with Andrew in the short amount of text that occurs before he removes his vote, but he also says "...it looks to me like the pressure worked fine, because you're talking now" right before he does so.

I see Otter had the same response, and Tom hasn't been back since. Very well. Consider it a second call for an explanation -- I'd vote to put weight behind this, but -1 to lynch isn't where I want to be just yet.

iv) super: the question is more than "why didn't you pressure vote?" This post made by Otter on page 1 is the full question. That is, they're worried about the second part of your explanation. You're not going to pressure vote, fine, but why would you "pressure vote" after he says something? ... it's not a pressure vote, then.

Edit: Hi again, super. Sorry you had to be in the middle of this spam.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2008, 05:36:31 PM »
Eh. I say "that's why they're worried" when I guess what I really mean Otter. I thought Corwin expressed similar sentiments, having quoted Otter quoting the same chunk, but it does seem like he's just asking for the part super did indeed respond to. Maybe it's some weird self-insertion thing I did in my brain, since my calling it up again does indeed accurately state that I, too, am interested in the answer.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2008, 06:07:57 PM »
If I didn't respond fully to the question about why I didn't place my vote earlier, tell me.

It's an interesting place now. If I think Otter's town (and I do).. mm. Feels like either Andrew or Tom have to be scum. But while both definitely are not coming off well, I'm going to place my vote else ewhere.

##Vote: Excal

While his postcount's fine, he's been light on the content and using arguments that make me uneasy- see the one from page 1, and his nitpicky argument with Corwin didn't do anybody any favors.
-------------------

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2008, 06:17:22 PM »
It's not about why you didn't, it's about why you weren't going to.

What you had said was "My vote's currently leaning towards a pressure vote on Tom, but hell if I'm going to do that until he posts." The part in italics and bold is the part which remains unaddressed.

How is it a pressure vote if you wait until he posts to put it there? What if he had never posted? Once he's posted, isn't there a fair chance that he'll have added content and therefore not be deserving of a "pressure vote"? Why would you say you are likely to pressure vote Tom after he appears and posts if you have no idea what he's going to post or if he will at all? Etc.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2008, 06:22:51 PM »
You're not going to pressure vote, fine, but why would you "pressure vote" after he says something? ... it's not a pressure vote, then.

It puts pressure on him. My apologies if my terminology isn't exact here. I was leaning most towards putting a pressure vote on Eviltom at that time as I didn't want start him off in the topic that far in the hole votewise unless I absoltely had to. Townies tend to panic and get defensive in that situation. (Which he appears to be doing). He could also just be an annoyed Scum trying to get away with lurking, but at that stage of the game I had no serious proof one way or the other.

We have.. about 15 hours left.

Edit: Gimme a sec, ninjaed again.
-------------------

Corwin

• My Natsuki....
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2008, 07:27:05 PM »
LD: Actually, I meant both parts, so you were right the first time.

Super: It puts pressure on him... to what purpose? What is that pressure supposed to achieve? Normally, a pressure vote is used to make people talk, or in some rare cases to keep lurkers from dispeappering and have them talkative. Tom, however, is anything but a lurker and you generally don't need to prod him with a vote to get him to talk and talk. So I'm still unclear on what the pressure would be designed to achieve.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2008, 07:48:55 PM »
To post and respond to the rapidly pile of mounting criticism. I explained this and why I didn't use my vote at that point of the game already.

I don't think I've played Mafia with Tom before actually. May be wrong on that, can't remember if he was involved in NR Mafia. Doesn't matter, it doesn't change the need for me to see him speak out at that point which is why he was the person I was most likely to vote for at that point.
-------------------

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2008, 08:11:10 PM »
Okay, well, it's good to see my reading comprehension hasn't completely left me then. Thanks, Corwin, for clearing that up for me.

super: There's a nuance to the question you keep missing. Yes, Tom was absent. No one would fault you with wanting to vote him for lurking. Some people would fault you for not wanting to drop a vote, but you explained why you didn't want to -- sure, okay, moving on. What I want to know is why you said you would drop a vote on him to pressure him, but only after he had posted.

It seems like some weird conflation of the idea that you don't want to vote for people who haven't checked in and you want to vote for lurkers, but... it still confuses me because the moment they check in, they get a reset on the lurker button. True enough, they can post contentlessly, and that's something to look at, but it's quite different from a vote to pressure them to talk at all. You seemed to say that you wanted to vote for Tom for not being there, but you weren't going to vote until he showed up and didn't post anything of importance/posted something worthy of a vote. Not "I'll hold my vote in case" that happens, but basically that you were waiting until it happened -- like it was foregone that it would. Which is weird, to say the least.

Am I wrong?

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2008, 08:16:26 PM »
Corwin, I haven't noticed anything specific besides Otter.  The second point was less because I had found anything, and more to specifically fix the date of my comment.  That said, my suspicions of you are mostly allayed at this point, so it's high time I do this.

##Unvote: Corwin

Anyways, moving on.  Tom...  looks to be trying his best, and while he's making some mistakes, it's looking more like overreaction than anything overtly scummy to me so far.  Same with Lady Door and her screeds, which generally look to be trying to help out by tossing lots of her thoughts into the open for us to sift through.

Anyways, this brings me to Andy, Super, and Otter.  Otter made a fairly large mistake in his mention of Rat, for all that there's not much else I find too suspicious about him just yet.  That said, it is a major indication of not having paid as much attention as he should have been, especially in what was a decently long argument.

Super looks bad mostly because he's made a bad argument.  That said, between the fact that he's already voted for me and the fact that arguments between us have a nasty habit of becoming more heated than they ought, and the fact that I like the job Lady Door's doing hunting that down, I'm just going to sit back and watch this develop for now.

Then there is Andrew.  Aside from jumping on Otter for that mistake, and holding his position, all he's done so far is reiterate what's been said by others.  This is especially curious because a large part of his argument against Otter is based on Otter...  trying to find scum?  By his noting someone hasn't been talking much and pointing that out?  I cannot help but feel that the argument being made here is not only poor, but is encouraging people to ignore behaviour that does not help town, and that, in and of itself, is questionable.  As such...

##Vote: Andrew