Register

Author Topic: What makes a well-designed Lunatic?  (Read 3678 times)

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
What makes a well-designed Lunatic?
« on: June 24, 2010, 12:32:30 PM »
This is a design question that's been on the back of my mind for a while.  And...also an area where I claim no expertise (I haven't seen any GDC talks or gamasutra articles focusing on the subject...other than one-liner mentions of the audience).

What I am looking for is things like "Touhou is good because when you die it's your fault, not the game screwing you, and you know what you should have done differently."

Another one I've heard is avoiding "that's not hard, that's just tedious."  (like the level 99 in first FF7 reactor guy, for the most extreme example).

But after that we get questions to which I don't know the answer.  For instance, is "both hard AND tedious" bad design?  (For an example of what I mean, watch a "let's play" of Ginormo Sword).  Or is this merely an audience difference?

Is there an optimal length?  Even Touhou here ranges from less than a minute spell practices to hour long no-shoot runs.  (And for a more turn based example you have things like HUGE x Blind Mamono sweeper which is a good hour of "don't make a single mistake").

What role does probability play in all of this?  My kneejerk is that randomness is bad because of the first point mentioned above (not losing should be within the player's control), but at the same time statistics are interesting to optimize (watch a good Fire Emblem player on a challenge run--the best-case probability calculations are fun to watch).  And obviously it's a bit different in the case of random Touhou bullet spreads, since you can react to the random before it gets to you (and it serves an important role of preventing memorization).

Thoughts?

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
Re: What makes a well-designed Lunatic?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 09:49:46 PM »
Might say more later, but just want to put this out there quickly.

There's (at least) two different kinds of tedium.  Grinding in RPGs is tedious.  Playing Touhou Lunatic/Extra over and over to clear is tedious.  But they are not the same.  RPG grinding is doing the same thing over and over and you don't actually learn anything: your progress is completely controlled by how much EXP it gives you.  Playing Touhou Lunatic/Extra is doing the same thing over and over, but you ARE learning how to do it better, and your progress isn't controlled by the game as much, it's controlled by how well you adapt to the game.  In essence, it's an increase in skill and/or knowledge that you're gaining, which is completely lacking in RPG grinding.  I would argue the former is terrible design, but the latter is okay design, even if I don't really like having to put THAT much effort into it.

Randomness is okay depending on how much.  If you don't have randomness at all, then you can clear anything just by memorizing it.  However, something being so random that your skill doesn't change how often you win much is also bad.  So something in the middle, but it varies by game as well.

Said more than I expected and thoughts are kind of jumbled but whatever.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 10:44:03 PM »
It depends on where the difficulty comes from.

DMC games (that aren't 2) and Bayonetta stand out as games that generally handle their difficulty well.  It comes purely from combat, and you learn patterns and the game has a few "fail safes" like Items and what not in case things are too hard, so you can cheese out.  At the same time, the game penalizes you by giving you less rewards for sucking too much, dying too much.  So there's an incentive to actually go back and try and do it better.  Also, the games tend to be nice about deaths in the sense that dying = full healing, start outside the room you died, try again (DMC1 screwed this up with Yellow Orbs, thank god they've removed that dumb mechanic in later games.)

(Granted, DMD Modes sound like they're just masochist sessions, but that may have been the point.)

On the otherhand, I get no joy from Quick Time Even related deaths; the fact that Bayonetta also had these I found irksome.  The game kicks your ass enough in combat (in reasonable ways), such that when you're finally getting a good run on a level, dying on a QTE is just an insulting kick in the balls which screws your end level ranking up entirely.

Platforming related deaths as well in games that should be more combat oriented are a pain in the ass too.  Gets annoying constantly going through that game over screen, having to start the entire sequence over again, and its just not fun half the time; I play action games to beat the shit out of mooks, and hopefully not get my ass handed to me at the same time; if I want platforming, I'll play Megaman or Mario or something.
This is one of God of Wars nuisances if you ask me; its platforming is generic, but non-trivial, and really slows the game down.  Bayonetta, using that again as an example (it just happens to be appropriate) has platform related segments, but its merely "Take a little bit of damage" and its quick and efficient to start over; you can't ever actually drop below 0 health here too, but frankly, that's a penalty in and of itself.

Honestly, games should fully heal you when you die on principle; this is something the 8 Bit Megaman and Castlevanias got right, so there's no excuse for modern games to not do it.  Otherwise, it leads to perma-fuck moments where you have a checkpoint right outside of a boss, no way to heal up beforehand, which is tedious.  I bring this up cause some games don't really do this, which artificially inflates the difficulty, since while you'll still eventually learn how to dodge all moves, you get less margin for error each attempt.  God of War, again, is an example of something that screwed this up; I think on your FIRST death, it brought you back with a little more health than you started, but still, that's not enough.  God of War offers no penalties for dying or exceptional feats, true, but that's no excuse to not just heal you up for a boss fight so you can have adequate preparation.

So yeah, being hard can be good, but it depends where the difficulty comes from.  Difficulty based off genuine gameplay merits like "Enemy hits hard, LEARN HOW TO AVOID!" is fine.  Difficulty spawned from bullshit like "Press X to Not Die...oh wait, we didn't give you enough time to notice this was a QTE, START OVER!" is not fun.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 11:21:57 PM »
Oooh, difficulty in games as a general discussion.

Lessee...first off, I don't know what's "good" or "bad" for that. I do know what, by watching people, is psychologically fulfilling, though, in general. Which might be the same thing? I don't know, people are atypical. Let's look at this, then.

For instance, is "both hard AND tedious" bad design?

Yes and no. It depends on the tedium. People don't mind losing a game, especially if they don't lose very much, although it's objectively always an addition of time. Why? Well, there's a risk/reward to it. You are playing the game, there is a real risk(time loss) to dying.

It's kinda like how there's risks to a lot of sports that give people a kind of...added thrill, on top of your difficulty.

Now, where this line is drawn person by person-how much time, how much risk they like-varies, plain and simple. There are people that freeclimb buildings, which is really quite dangerous, and surely has more of a thrill as such. But most people don't want decent chances to die, a chance of a broken limb is often more than enough thrill for them.

However, unforseeable tedium, actually just wasting time, either to gain enough stats or items or whatever, is mostly only fulfilling if there's another way around it and you're taking that option as a last ditch. You've still won, which is better than losing, but it's cost you a lot of time.

Now, granted, I've seen a very good analysis on how people also just find pride in achievements of large amounts of time(like being proud of your MMO character). I've...never quite gotten that out of grinding-I actually grind because I am easily amused and because I want to see more abilities, more options, more *stuff* accessable, rather than just to smash enemies. But I can surely see the draw.

Also, there's tedium in the sense of things being long, and hence giving you less time to screw up. This is boring, but legitimate, challenge. Is it enjoyable challenge? I...well, too short and a boss fight in a game can easily be worthless. Too long and you're wasting time. A person has a point where they've already proven they've got the dodges down, more or less, and you're just trying to make them screw up.

Is there an optimal length?

One single optimal amount of time lost per failure at a challenge?

Valid question. The answer is...no, but because it matters how many times you're likely to lose trying something as well as how long it takes to lose. And of course, it matters how much information you're willing to garner from other people on the challenge.

But for the amount of time lost as a general function? It varies by the person, again, some people have a very low tolerance for it. I think about 30-40 hours lost with nothing to show for it is about the upper limit. A person might, say, restart a game they lost their near-endgame save for right off the bat, but they are going to be royally pissed and it will hurt the game to them. Ditto if challenge does it.

Now, if you've got a smaller outcome based system, such as how DMC3 lets you just do single missions at a time, that's different. You'll likely have some stuff to show for 30-40 hours of deaths there if you're, say, trying to S rank all DMD  missions. Maybe everything won't be S, but some of it will be if you're able to handle DMD at all. That's psychologically much more fulfilling(and shows why people will go and cap every single card in a Touhou game for instance, despite this being hands down the most time consuming non-challenge-run thing you can do.).

What role does probability play in all of this?

A good but psychologically unsatisfying one, in general, but that's because it's rather hard to do well, put in short.

Generally speaking, randomization-within reason-makes either strategy or reaction time skills take precedence over raw knowledge. That is to say, if you know a boss' pattern in FF6, and it's fixed, you can win at X level every time with Y strategy. No originality or skill required, just add GFAQs, as it were.

Randomized patterns require you to react to certain situations, and while a strategy can be wrote out concerning every possible variant of a randomized pattern, people rarely do it, and only really when required due to a challenge being so hard.

So it's obviously really valuable annnnnd people are fine with it so long as randomization is a fairly major part of the game. Touhou is a good example here again, it relies on randomization in EoSD's case rather heavily, for instance. Randomized bullets don't bother people too much. However, there are limits. People don't mind randomized patterns of bullets.

But they do mind moving boss, upon moving, taking it into it's head to move to the upper right corner of the screen and stay there. Which causes you to struggle to hurt it at all and forces you to judge if you want to stay in your position and dodge until the boss decides to move-if ever-or if you want to try to go after it, which is usually quite dangerous to do sideways through a pattern. There's also patterns I've heard simply called luck garbage(and called a few that myself) thanks to the fact that no matter how skilled you are, they can throw up a wall sometimes, which you couldn't have foreseen.

Randomization is basically like this in general. No one really minds randomized damage spreads, but criticals are a wall you can't foresee, except in a general sense, and struggle to deal with(Except by extreme measures, much like you can just bomb attacks that turn into walls of shots. Lacking an extreme measure is bad design. FE, for instance, really lets you just go out of your way to avoid criticals, or use people that fail at being one-shotted by them.). No one really minds enemies changing up their patterns, but sometimes they'll just make a goal unachiveable or unreasonably hard to achieve and it's quite irritating.

You really need good limits on the ranges of randomization in order to make it work.

cheese out

I cannot emphasize enough how good of an idea it is to have game mechanisms that allow you to do this. Difficulty should be on a nice sliding scale, and optimally it should show(ranking type mechanisms are good! They make you feel sucky for using cheese! Although it can be taken too far, Megaman Zero games added in a major game feature and then had using it at all splatter your rankings for all time, permanently. They actually stuck with this for two games. I don't get it.).

If you want to make grinding a requirement for your easier way through, or whatnot, go for it, people pay their time for their easier game.

Quick Time Even related deaths

Good example of a completely patterned event with little or no randomization. You just screwed up execution of mashing a displayed button. So yes, it's not very fulfilling, as you not only know what you have to do, the only real issue is if the game catches you off guard. Too simple for what it is.

...it's also a much worse execution of a rythym game, but that's neither here nor there.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 12:12:08 AM »
Not sure how Quicktime Events got into this discussion, but the main issue with them is that most games they're in the player takes several hits to kill normally, but then fails in one hit if you miss the QTE.  QTE's would be a lot less jarring if you only lost 10% of your health by screwing up.  Alternatively, QTE's would be a lot less jarring in say, Mario where all sorts of things can kill you in one hit. 

Though even in such cases, as a general rule I'm not a fan of genre mixing in lunatic-level difficulty games.  For example...I like platformers; I like SHUMPs.  Doesn't mean I want Touhou to insert 10-second platforming sections at unexpected intervals.  Lunatic usually involves heavy practicing of the game mechanics, and so switching focus is kinda jarring in Lunatic.  (Genre switching is fine in non-lunatic; I enjoy party/variety games just fine, I just don't play them on maxed out difficulty).

(More when I have time later).

SageAcrin

• Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 12:29:02 AM »
You pretty much have it. Your average rythym game encourages perfectionism but does not require it to clear a song, and adding in random weird genre sub-sets to games is an iffy decision at best. It can be done well, but you need to remember that your audience needs it to be short, entertaining and probably less challenging than usual for the difficulty you're shooting for(the last because the person didn't buy your game to play a different genre and hence simply may not be good at it.).

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Halbarad

• Youkai of the Boundary
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 01:27:17 AM »
On tedium:

Tedium by itself is not bad design - in either RPG or skill-based flavors. MMOs make a business out of tedium, after all, and given that WoW and others have been quite successful over the years it's clear that this is not a bad formula in itself. To me, the real question is striking the proper balance between tedium and difficulty. Ideally, you want the reward to merit the tedium in the first place, while on the other side you want the tedious task itself to be difficult -enough- to hopefully keep the player engaged while they're doing it. I would say that this is actually one of the major barriers in higher shmup difficulties; the payoff that the player receives as they grind through Lunatic isn't enough (either in a tangible sense or in a real sense - skill isn't guaranteed to go up, after all) to justify the endless repetition. Speaking from personal experience, it can get -really- old to hit the same wall in grinding shmups over and over, especially when you factor in things like session burnout, where your ability to play starts to tank after you've been playing the game for a while regardless of other factors.

The question I'd have more is whether it's possible to have difficulty without tedium - if anything is truly hard, it's going to require effort to overcome it. Is it actually possible to make a player expend this effort in a way that can't be defined as tedious?

On optimal length:

Short answer? No, there is no optimal length of difficulty, at least to appeal to a broad playerbase. Even for an individual player, their capacity to deal with difficult tasks (which as stated ties into tedium) is going to vary wildly depending on what it is they're playing or doing, and how much it appeals to them. As a personal example, take Reimu's Last Word from Imperishable Night (Touhou 8 for those not familiar) - Fantasy Heaven. It's a single spellcard which requires about a minute to clear when performed correctly, yet most players will never clear the card in anything less than 200-300 attempts (personally it required over 400). This is an example of a short duration which is probably still too much for most players to handle.  On the flip side of this, you can take something like a typical stage in Demon's Souls. With a few exceptions, clearing a stage in DS is going to be at minimum a 15-20 minute time investment - and even with familiarity you can easily get killed and be forced to restart from the beginning, unless playing in an extremely cautious (and much slower) manner. If not familiar with the stage, you can easily double, triple, or more that time investment as you factor in deaths from learning the stage and the strategies for dealing with it. Yet I'd consider the difficulty and length factor to weigh far more in favor of DS in this case than Touhou, simply because there's far less tedium involved in the process.

On probability:

I largely agree with Sage here, so I won't rehash his points. Random chance should not make or break the difficulty of the game, although it certainly should have its place in contributing to it and forcing strategy rather than memorization.

On difficulty avoidance:

I have a somewhat mixed mindset on this. I'm certainly not against having a difficulty scale in games, but I'm also not -against- games that lack them. This one comes down more to personal philosophy; I rather like Demon's Souls in this regard - while it doesn't have any form of sliding difficulty, there are certainly techniques and methods that can be used to drastically reduce the difficulty of the game. I do like DS's presentation in this though - these methods are certainly not handed to you on a silver platter or even presented as an option when you start the game; you have to either learn that they're there through personal experimentation or go out to a FAQ or wiki in order to learn what they are. I would love to see more games that forced players to stretch their skills and abilities from the get-go, rather than easing them into it gently.
- Have you ever contemplated suicide?
 - Frequently. But only for others.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 01:41:47 AM »
First thing I would say is that it HAS to be either an optional difficulty mode or a fanmade game/hack. The percentage of the game-playing audience who actually likes and can handle Lunatic-level difficulty is incredibly small, and trying to target an entire commercial game to them would be financial suicide. Spend too much time on Gamefaqs and it's easy to forget that most RPG players consider Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem 7 difficult games, not easy ones. And in fact they are difficult games from the perspective of a newcomer, especially compared to the average RPG/videogame in general. There is something of a vocal minority of hardcore players that are obsessed with cranking up the difficulty as high as possible, and there is definately an echo chamber effect on hardcore-centric forums where like-minded people convince each other that their opinion on both the level of difficulty and whether this is good/bad is a fact, not an opinion.

I'd also suggest that a lot of the design issues about what makes a 'good' Kaizo game is heavily subjective - how long a game is, for instance. Fanmade mods/romhacks in theory have an advantage here in that specific narrow groups can self-design mods for their own personal tastes and not have to worry about moderating any design aspect for a different audience (even a different group of hardcore challenge-obsessed). They also have the advantage of focusing all their time on balancing the entire game to their own tastes, rather than making it a side-project to a lower difficulty level aimed at a more mainstream audience which will probably get far more time devoted to it since that's where the game will make its money. This works out pretty well so long as these mod makers don't forget that they're creating for themselves and start pushing their mods on other people and/or insulting others for not sharing the same tastes.

Re: Probability, I'd suggest that the one hard rule is to avoid is a situation where nothing a player can do - no amount of skill, or perfect knowledge of the game - can avoid a game over if the RNG rolls against you. Having bad luck create setbacks is one thing, ending the game purely by chance is another. Subjectively you'd generally also want to avoid creating a situation where too much knowledge/skill is required to not die purely to luck, but where to draw the line depends on where exactly you're aiming to place the difficulty level at.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 02:27:23 AM »
Quicktime events I brought up mostly cause its a case of artificially inflating difficulty which isn't actually hard, just gives you that much extra time to screw up, especially when the thing is randomized (GoW randomizes all its QTE's, for example), and sometimes its easy to just go "Wait, crap, I wanted to press X there!" when a Square prompt comes up.  Its not really skill so much as just trying to give you something to do when you watch a cutscene.

Though, I guess I should say "Succeed QTE to do more damage or avoid big damage" isn't so bad.  God Hand really liked the former, such that if you were good at button mashing, you'd do more damage with some of your attacks and that was your reward; there were a few counters that used the former style, but they were generally forgiving (you had more than enough time to see the enemy jump behind you and try to grab you while the "Move analog!" prompt was there.)

Its basically just really insulting, as was noted, to beat a tough boss, finally learn his patterns, etc. only to die on a QTE RIGHT AFTER, and have to redo that entire fight all over again.  Again, this is something I just can't stand about God of War cause it absolutely loves this; just about all the bosses have to be QTE'd from what I remember (obviously more a GoW2 thing, since GoW1 has like 3 bosses total), the final in particular has a complicated one where one screw up = you die, start over (well, maybe it was "start midway into the battle" but you still had to go through half the fight).  Its such an insulting Below the Belt way to die that isn't skill related.
Bayonetta had just about all its Bosses QTE'd as well, but that was just "Spam X for More Bonus Points!"  I don't think you can actually FAIL the QTE, just you can "not succeed", as in "Not get the Max Bonus"; if you initiate the sequence, I think you're insured a victory.  I've never bothered trying cause Button Mashing QTE's are hard to fail <_<

My general point is...QTEs just aren't very fun, at least the "Press X to not Die" and they don't add real difficulty, just tedium and memorization, that stalls you from continuing the game.  A tough boss fight is fine, as is dying repeatedly.  A tough boss fight should not be followed by another easy way to screw up cause you miss pressed a button or something.
What's especially obnoxious is when QTEs are sudden and unexpected.  You can be watching a cutscene, then *BAM* a button prompt appears, and you don't react fast enough cause you totally didn't expect it.

Its not fun, nor is it actually hard, its more just a sucker punch to the balls.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 02:29:53 AM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 06:08:05 AM »
hinode: Well yes, naturally you're right about audiences (...err except commercially released examples such as N+ do exist).  Mostly I was asking "If you ARE designing to this audience, what's important design-wise?"

And note that design-lessons from this discussion may still be useful even when designing for "the masses".  For instance, if playtesting shows that some of your audience takes 10+ resets to beat a boss, then many of the same principles may apply.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 06:11:22 AM by metroid composite »

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 07:20:44 AM »
Splitting this up the same way as Hal. Also, I adopt the form of a speedrunner here (since those are the challenges I do), so perspectives might be different, but I feel, still applicable.

On tedium:

I don't mind tedium? The most important part is usually the pre-planning (as is with most other difficult challenges) because all the work there is theory and you can't guarantee things working until you put it into practice. The actual practice itself is definitely tedium, especially running it through until you get something as close to perfect as you would expect. It's not so much the tediousness of making something doable that gets to me because tedium by itself isn't really a factor. Heck, I also grind combos in fighting games just so I can do the motions needed on reaction. I think it really comes down to what Tal said: If all you're doing is repetition where you are not learning anything or gaining anything, that's bad design because this means the wall can be scaled by just repeated slamming your head into the wall. That's not difficulty. On the other hand, if despite having to do it many times, you are learning things from it (botched runs, better reflexes, etc.) then the tediusness is passable since the player at least feels like they are benefitting from the repeated action (and likely won't get bored or frustrated as quickly).

Optimal Length:

One thing I always believe in, even if everybody else denies, is that there is always a period or level of "optimum play" for players in anygame. Even in RPGs, where you're making decisions, although it might not necessarily be through real time. For me (and from what I read, most other people), optimum play is usually non-sustainable for long periods, because the human brain and hands just simply can't be expected to consistently make the best decisions and then executing them perfectly, especially if it is on the fly. In speedruns to me, optimal length difficulty is usually around 4-5 minutes. Maybe 10 minutes at most. It keeps you focused, and resetting and redoing that part over isn't something you dread. This remains true in a majority of the WA4 segments for example. Anymore than that, I find, makes the challenge a serious pain in the rear to complete. The more difficult the task (such as speedrunning to me), the better it is if the length of that segment is short. As a note, no segment or even segment portion should ever be really long because resetting from there becomes the bad type of tedium as discussed above.

On Probability:

This is tricky. On one hand, I prefer if I have full control over the difficult task. Because making a mistake there, I know its because I did something wrong and not because the law of averages decided to kick me in the face. When its the later, it's really discouraging for the player since they have absolutely no control. Then we get into the problem where you get the bad kind of tedium because then all you're doing is repeating the same strategy over and over until you get what you need (ala P3 speedrun and getting the damn Rash Guard with Elec Resist less than 45 minutes into the game).

On the other hand? Probability keeps challenges interesting and certainly provides more options for the player to select from. I will take a page straight for the ACF speedrun here, because it illustrates what I feel on Probability. There's a boss called Demon Prophet in the game. For those that haven't played it, his big gimmick is that every turn, he selects one character who can get damage through. Everyone else will deal no damage. Because there's no cue to know who can get damage through, you basically have a 33% chance to attack him. Not horrible odds for a speedrunner, but because he high 3HKOs and has counters to boot if he attacks, you end up dying pretty quickly and redoing the segment again isn't fun because this IS pretty much a 13 minute+ segment. So there's two ways to go about it. One guaranteed way kills him in around 5 minutes of time, but is pretty much ensured a victory everytime. The other way kills him in around 50 seconds (or faster), but only has a 33% chance (or lower) of succeeding.

So, the speedrunner as a result is given a choice. If they want to avoid all doubt and just end the segment (especially because its long), the guaranteed method adds 5 minutes, removes frustration but there's a hefty penalty in the time alloted (which if you are going for a personal record, could be very significant). The other method is much riskier, and you could be at the segment for hours on end but its so much faster and obviously the better choice if you need to trim seconds off the clock.  Controllable probability choices like that, I don't mind and are pretty cool. The player basically has a choice on the amount of luck they personally feel they want to gamble with, instead of the game forcefeeding it to you. This is also why, echoing Sage here, that FE crits, despite being a pain in the ass, are well implemented. If you take that 1% chance that you will eat a crit and Boyd kicks the bucket, well, you have no one else to blame but you if it happens. Especially if there are other characters who could've done that task for him.

Difficulty Avoidance:

Largely a good thing and very important. Not everyone enjoys the same level of challenge and having a failsafe is good as a general selling tool for the game and in general. It's even better if the difficulty can be adjusted as you are playing the game so you are not forced to restart because of a mistake you made early on and now you're struggling to defeat a boss. For the record, Tales games (Abyss/Vesperia at least), give you this option. If you want a bigger challenge, you can do Hard mode. But if it seems like the game is kicking your ass, and you really don't want to deal with it? Feel free to switch to normal mode at any time. Alternatively? FFT is also decent at making about this too since they give you Orlandu at what is probably the most difficult stretch of the game. And casual players who only play the game once (like my sis), really appreciate these.

On the other hand, if you forget to do something and it ends up having a huge impact on you because you didn't do it and there's no way to avoid it? It sucks, and it sucks hard. Best example here is speedrunning ACF and forgetting Migrant Seals. You simply cannot avoid all encounters and ambushes if you start leaving these behind. As a result, you always make multiple saves so you can back up if you make a huge mistake. It's not really difficulty avoidance, but its the best you're going to get! Not having difficulty avoidance in general, is usually not a good thing, because people will and do give up on games when they feel like its just frustrating. And while grinding IS an option, it relates back to tedium. And not many people like grinding because it's just so boring.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

SageAcrin

• Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 07:33:52 AM »
Well, the speedrunner perspective on tedium is an artificially set up ranking system, essentially.

That is to say, you don't get an S rank, you instead get a faster clear. Basically you theorycraft based on what you already know and more or less get consistent boosts in speed(until you hit a point where nothing but random experimentation can really give you any more of an edge. Like how high end Cave Story Hell runs shoot through cracks in walls. I mean, how would you know that without getting lucky enough to have it happen randomly? It sure doesn't *look* possible at a glance.).

So naturally it's not as frustrating, because you usually succeed at getting better at the game(and after completing a game, the only real goals are entertaining reruns for various reasons or improving at the game in some way.).

As to your take on time, that is an interesting point. I've noticed that there's a limit to optimal play time too, that is, the amount of time you can really play your absolute best.

My limit tops out at around an hour, I think, but I have to get outright pissed off to trigger that(at myself or at the game), by and large. 30 minutes is pretty standard for me on a remotely decent day, and it hasn't escaped me that this might be a big part of why I'm good at shmups. For strategy games it varies wildly, I've had several hour good runs there but that's rare as hell.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 12:59:32 PM »
Yeah, Tide's description of length is more or less what I meant.

For non-twitch strategy/puzzle games, it's more "how many moves can you expect a player to make without making a mistake?"  For instance, in Minesweeper variants my max is probably somewhere between 500 and 5000 decisions (and even then, I think I prefer 50 harder decisions over 500 semi-hard decisions).

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 01:33:38 PM »
Fun question. Woo.

I actually think this is one of the major things that World of Warcraft did very right in recent memory.

Generally speaking, pre-Wrath of the Lich King, high end content in the game was largely inaccessible to the vast majority of the playerbase. And I mean VAST majority of the playerbase. I think the top end raid instance (The Sunwell) was cleared by... 1%? 2% of the population, with this only increasing a bit on the lower end stuff. So, a lot of players games "ended" pretty early due to a number of constraints that kept them out of the guilds that could DO the top end stuff.

Wrath of the Lich King showed a huge shift in the design paradigm by taking the "Heroic" mode and applying it more unilaterally to the game. Whereas previously heroic modes had simply been more difficult versions of the five man instances that featured better gear and the like (something to keep the level 70s busy!), Wrath applied this mode of thinking to the raid instances as well, generally lowering the difficulty of most raids by a fairly substantial amount, and then adding "Hard" modes to specific bosses or giving the dungeon itself a "Heroic" mode that .

What exactly did these entail? Well, generally speaking, for starters, the numbers are much tighter, requiring much tighter execution and well geared characters. The boss hits that much harder, its debuff ticks for that much more, its HP have increased by so much, etc. So, at the most basic level, they already force the players to play a better game to successfully down the boss.

In addition, the Heroic Mode tends to add a new dynamic to the fight. Most WoW bosses are already built on specific gimmicks, so these new twists usually either complicate matters significantly (adding new hazards or the like) or tend to make the existing gimmick that much more vital/dangerous.

Honestly, I feel its a really solid model and like talking about it, because it is a hard mode that basically requires you to excel at all aspects of the game, which I think is critical. Hard modes should not be just random, obnoxious challenge, but rather things that push all your game related skills to their limits.

Or something. Its 5:30 am. I'm kinda rambling at this point.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 08:08:40 PM »
On tedium...

If it happens at all, you've failed as a world designer. You should always have enough content (a long enough distance to the next boss, a large enough maze, a vast enough quantity of detours for the player to go down, ect) that if the player finds themself in a dungeon, and they sweep the whole thing top to bottom, they will be adequately prepared for the next boss, assuming they are not sabotaging themselves in some fashion. If the players went around, explored the whole dungeon, and didn't run from enemies, and they are not of sufficient level to take on the boss, you need to make a bigger dungeon, tone down the boss, or increase XP gain. Tuning your gameplay is what sets good games apart from Dragon Quest.

To refer to WoW, as someone made an example of it re: tedium, it is a very good example of what I am talking about. In all the time I've spent levelling, I have had to go out and grind exactly one time, and it was due to a bug in Wrath Beta that disabled one quest that one of the biggest and most important quest chains in the whole continent depended on to start. Sure, a lot of the quests are just "kill ten dudes," but you are never going out and killing ten dudes just because. It's always "here's a quest for killing ten dudes, come back and get a shirt." In a single-player game, this is the kind of function dungeon side-paths with something cool at the end serve. It doesn't have to be a big deal (most WoW quests award only money or money and gear you replace in five levels anyway), but it does provide the player with a goal to work toward and it provides a pacing mechanic for your levelling experience.  You know you are prepared to go to Lakeshire once you have completed every quest at Sentinel Hill.

If your boss is going to be crazy hard, he should have challenging mechanics and be at the end of a very huge dungeon, not require you to walk in a fucking circle for a thousand hours.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 12:38:25 AM »
On general game design, I agree with most of what people have been saying here, pretty obvious stuff.  The topic title, though, is "What makes a well-designed Lunatic?" and I haven't seen many stabs at that yet besides hinode's so... here we go.  

1.  Lunatic difficulty should not appeal to everyone - or even be realistically completable by most players.

Trying to aim difficulty at a wide audience is futile.  Trying to make your "Lunatic" difficulty something that everyone can complete is equally futile.  You cannot please everyone.  For reference I am crazy, I play Touhou Lunatics and Cave shooters for fun, did an FFT SSCC, and consider La Mulana a masterpiece of design... but I have no real interest in playing, say, Demon's Souls, because from what I can tell it looks too easy to really be fun for me.  A similar point came up again in chat a while back, debating Imperishable Night's spellcard practice and how it enabled too many people to grind and clear IN Lunatic.  

People who aren't the Lunatic difficulty target audience tend to react with incredulity and calls of elitism and superiority complexes - well, guilty as charged, I guess.  The appeal of doing something in a game or genre you like that relatively very few other people can do is incredibly appealing for the type of player most likely to engage in "Lunatic" challenges to begin with.  If everyone can succeed at the main challenge at hand through simple grinding/time investment, or "cheese" strategies, that removes a significant portion of the appeal to players like myself.  (I guess I'm disagreeing with Sage here on things like Vanish/Doom existing, to me it DOES still remove some of the incentive to beat the boss in question "legit".)  This chain of logic will alienate some players who prefer total completionism to be available to all, but, well, so be it - one uber-difficult mode that almost nobody can complete historically does not significantly diminish overall interest in or enjoyment of a game by completionist players, whereas the lack of such recognized challenge definitely does diminish interest in buying or playing the game at all for hardk0r3 elitist snobs.  Literally no one beat Doom and Doom 2 on Nightmare difficulty for years after the release of those games, but the inclusion of that mode sure didn't hurt the games, and the players who did care for it wound up birthing the speedrunning community that went on to Quake and pretty much every game ever afterwards.

For another example, I would never play WoW.  Any interest I once might have had in it was actually snuffed out by exactly the changes Andrew praises a few posts up.  From my "elitist snob" perspective, the top instance being completed by 1% of players is actually way too high of a percentage considering how many people play the game.  If everyone can do everything, my brain says, then what distinguishes challenge in the game at all?  What do you have to shoot for?  If any random pubbie can waltz into the game, level to 80 and beat up Arthas in a month or two of having their hand held, why bother?  It's not special or deserving of any level of hype - or additional money.  Or money at all.  

But I have considered, on occasion, paying a bit of money to get into EVE Online, a notoriously difficult MMO with an even more lopsided content/player ratio.  A good 70% of the game's space and "content" as it were, everything beyond the modest NPC-ruled central bubble, is only experienced by... maybe 5-10% of the players?  Not sure these days but certainly no higher than 25% at the absolute most.  But the ones that do get out into the wide world get to do and experience astonishing things, up to and including being able to purchase real timecards with in-game currency and not even have to keep paying real money to play... if you're good enough.  That's pretty appealing, to the lunatic/elitist snob/whatever you want to call it mindset.  If I had the time and inclination to play any MMO, EVE would definitely be where my money would go.

2.  Lunatic challenges must be blatantly impressive and significantly different from "normal" gameplay.

I think this is a must, not a should.  Doom on Nightmare, Touhou on Lunatic, Samus standing in Lower Norfair in the power suit, a lone level 50 Ramza with no secondary facing Altima.  Obvious, immediately apparent differences from normal gameplay, carrying a sense of shock and a rush of wonder, to the point where even on the four hundredth attempt a dedicated player still gets a little buzz from looking at the screen and hearing their instincts built from normal gameplay screaming "What are you thinking, you shouldn't be doing this!!!"  Gurren Lagann quotes go here and stuff.  Hyper challenge modes that aren't impressive, like say Doom 3 Nightmare, are nowhere near as well received on any account.  

Edit - corollary to this is that a significant and complete-ish normal gameplay experience must first exist for lunatic challenges to build upon.  You can't just make a "lunatic level" game from scratch.  Even La Mulana has Guidance Gate.  Games that aspire to lunatic difficulty from the start tend to almost invariably violate the following...

3.  Lunatic challenges should evoke evolution of player ingenuity rather than a set intelligently designed "right" answer.

This is self explanatory, but a bit fuzzier depending on the sort of game in question.  In La Mulana, the puzzles all have specific right answers, but the actual challenge comes in the player trying to figure out what the right answers are.  While there are hints to the solution of every puzzle in the game, there's a lot of variance involved in the actual thought processes people can use to deduce the solutions.  Talk to five different players and they'll have figured some things out in five different ways.  In shooters you have both the split second adaptation of dodging individual bullets, and a higher level adaptation of figuring out ways to look at and approach troublesome patterns; some things can be learned from replays, but there's always some room for individual style.  Except in really strict memorization shooters, which unsurprisingly don't get the same draw/appeal.  

S'all I've got for now.

Edit - oh yeah!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 12:56:57 AM by Sir Alex »

SageAcrin

• Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 01:11:19 AM »
Trying to aim difficulty at a wide audience is futile.

And not even desirable. Some level of difficulty choice can be nice within that, but in general...you don't want that to be your only difficulty and you want to aim it at people that can appreciate highly challenging difficulty.

Now, there's a wide range at the top. There's a pretty damn substantial difference between PCB Lunatic and UFO Lunatic, and yet another between those two and any Cave shmup second loop or Dangun Feveron's very horrible existance, etc. I'm inclined to think that people that can appreciate the latter can appreciate the former for the most part.

Dual Spoiler was the easiest thing ZUN's put out in a while, but I don't recall a significant outcry, because his latest stuff was all really hard. (Except from the people that couldn't beat Normal in the recent games. To them, DS is basically unplayable.)

That's not to say that even higher difficulties in Lunatic shouldn't exist, but I wonder if they shouldn't have yet another, even higher, difficulty option, in a perfect world.

If everyone can succeed at the main challenge at hand through simple grinding/time investment, or "cheese" strategies, that removes a significant portion of the appeal to players like myself.  (I guess I'm disagreeing with Sage here on things like Vanish/Doom existing, to me it DOES still remove some of the incentive to beat the boss in question "legit".)

Optimally, a good cheese is obvious, well known, cannot be hidden in any way when you go to talk about the game, and in general makes you looked down at by people that bothered to complete it legitimately.

Vanish/Doom isn't optimal...because the game is so easy that if someone goes to ask you "How did you beat bla bla boss?" the answer "Ehhh I hit him a while and healed." is valid. So it doesn't show up. On a harder version, the glaring "I didn't even try." would show up in any discussion.

Still, it's not optimal even then. Optimal cheese is something like MarisaB MoF to me. It's harmless, because it displays it's self proudly as essentially a lower difficulty mode.

Basically good cheese is so glaringly boring that it takes the fun out of it and so easy that it lets people have their fun but not their accomplishment. I don't say it's required or anything, but I find it harmless in general.

Lunatic challenges must be blatantly impressive and significantly different from "normal" gameplay.

Ahhh, yes, style. Yes, that helps a damn lot. That isn't to say that I don't appreciate a game just having a very hard mode, I do disagree that it's required, but anything lower is lazy. For a really good one, yes.

A good example is comparing Star Ocean 2 Universe to say DMC3 Very Hard(it isn't really DMD. It's probably not Very Hard but let's not get into that. Also they're different genres, so a general comparison is stupid.).

They both require a lot of intelligent strategy and some reaction skill and etc. etc., but when I go to think of which of the two stands out?

Definitely DMC3. Why? Enemies don't just get better, they get more impressive and require more strategy to defeat them. Archers start attacking while backing up, leaving you at horrible infight risk, instead of just lol chase him around and he can't shoot. Bosses all develop new attacks and use the older ones faster. New enemy locations show up. Everything, everything ever, is improved about them, not just their stats.

When you get to DMD and things start Devil Triggering(Which the game is polite enough to give you exactly one example of enemies doing in the main game, just enough to make you fear the hell out of it.), it looks absurd and impossible. It is, psychologically, a great effect, though the gameplay aspect is a little iffy on DTing(needed more damage and less durability, I wouldn't mind good DTed enemies one-shotting me, but never mind that.).

3.  Lunatic challenges should evoke evolution of player ingenuity rather than a set intelligently designed "right" answer.

Ehhhh.

Despite most strongly agreeing with you, I'm not sure if this is psychologically true. However...it's because of a kind of...I can think of no other way to put it but pitiful... effect involved.

You see, in general, people who really just want the challenge are doing it, at most, for praise as one of their main driving factors. They also enjoy doing it, they enjoy the thrill, they enjoy that rush of actually getting things right.

But there are exceptions. People for whom the pride of completion outweighs anything else about the accomplishment. For these people...obviously they want it to be accomplishable above all, for them.

These are the people that run Touhou at 20-30FPS, and then brag about it. (Albiet, not just those people. There are people with scruples enough not to cheat on purpose and/or to know their computer is giving them a large edge...) And sadly there's more than you'd think of these people.

The more memorization and simple, linear thought is required, the more only one strategy works, the less human initiative is involved, the better these rather obsessive types do and the better they feel about themselves and their accomplishments. The amount of time is irrelevant and immaterial. Just getting it done, so they can stand on it.

This is depressing, but it is a valid subset of people, and damn if I know if it's right to not cater to them from a commercial standpoint. I sure as hell wouldn't make a game like that, though. It strikes me as both boringly restrictive and cheaping out on your difficulty. On multiple levels.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 01:15:35 AM by SageAcrin »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 01:22:37 AM »
While it is a valid subset of people, look at the examples you used to categorize them - they have no problems with outright cheating to accomplish their goals.  The Action Replay companies are the ones who cater to those people, game developers per se have no real need to.  As for players like that who don't cheat (which I think is a rather different subset...),  Nippon Ichi games come to mind?  Drop two hundred hours on your file until you've got big enough numbers to kill Baal and whatnot.  It's a valid niche, but I can't see it as even relevant to other sorts of difficulty discussions.

SageAcrin

• Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 01:23:43 AM »
The Action Replay companies are the ones who cater to those people, game developers per se have no real need to.

And they do so on a better sliding scale than the original coders ever could reasonably do.

Yeah, fair enough.

Drop two hundred hours on your file until you've got big enough numbers to kill Baal and whatnot.

And this is why I used cheese tricks on Baal.

Granted I admit that proudly every time it comes up and am essentially amused at thinking of Disgaea as an accomplishment game anyways. I think subjectively I just lack respect for it as one. I don't mind grinding, but I did grinding for triple transmigrated Angels that were lower level than normal rather than L150 characters to smash the final boss with. The latter is way better, but the former I get amused by.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 01:26:17 AM by SageAcrin »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 02:52:47 PM »
A note on tedium: the key is to make repetitive tasks fun.  Polish makes a huge difference between repetitive things that are fun and things that are not.  Wizardry 7 would be completely intolerable if you couldn't save anywhere or forfeit combat once it becomes apparent you're going to lose.  FF9 would be a lot better if attack animations didn't take so long (something the designers of FFX improved on admirably).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:55:28 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 04:50:20 PM »
Ok, new question: How do people feel about healing in Lunatic modes?

My gut reaction is that it's dangerous if unchecked.  Heal locks or chain-revive locks can stall out a fight forever (whether on the enemy or the PC side).  One of the cannonical rules of any game design is that you let people know when they're screwed and can't win anymore, which can sometimes be pretty obscured by healing/reviving.  Or, on the enemy side, I've seen challenge fights where it's clear that the player was going to win, but also clear that it would take 20 more turns.  And...in games not designed for challenge runs, healing bosses have sometimes just been an impossible brick wall.  Conversely, if the party can out heal the boss indefinitely (while doing damage) through any setup, then all other mechanics become irrelevant.

The first obvious solution to this would be to tone down healing, but there's design dangers here, too.  Vagrant Story and its slow regeneration jump to mind--I definitely have memories of standing in a doorway for 5 minutes.

A nerfed healing system that I suspect works fine for Lunatic style games is...basically just spellcharges (if you can only heal 1 time in a fight, then this doesn't risk stalemates; certainly I can think of a few bosses where, say, 3 healings per fight worked fine in challenge runs).  Or in Mathematical terms, more of a zero-sum system.

Thoughts?  Am I dismissing certain healing mechanics too easily merely because they're easier to screw up in a lunatic environment?  Is there a healing-ability system I haven't listed here?

SageAcrin

• Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 06:59:22 PM »
Healing isn't really a problem, to be perfectly honest. It just makes things more difficult.

If a team can heal limitlessly? Well, obviously you need damage that either can overcome their healing or lower their numbers or kill healers or whatever, there's a lot of dials to turn for balance here.

Assume the most extreme case, though. Limitless full healing, big(six person, let's say, that's the biggest out of SRPGs) party and revival and status healing and the works. So you...make it so that everyone in the game has large spreads on durability on both ends, so that some bosses one-shot physically, some one-shot magically and some have both but in worse form, and make it MT. Toss in debilitating status. Throw in some interesting buffs that limit offense, maybe give the bosses healing of their own so that some bosses become a question of if you can overcome them rather than them overcoming you.

(One of the odder SRW design decisions, for a few of it's games, but one that works surprisingly okay, just don't over use it.)

Now, it does limit you a bit for what you can do. Simplest way around that is to not make the healing truly limitless. Which is good, since almost no one does that, and the rare games that do limit the healing's quality. (FF6 has quite likely been the closest you get to infinite MT fullheals, although I may be forgetting something.)

Now, there is a question of making sure you have a very, very fast paced battle system if you're going to rely on it, though. That is true. If there's a lot of fluffy animations that take a few minutes per turn or so...well yeah that'll get old if a boss lasts thirty turns, to say the least.

As to healing bosses as a design issue...it varies, you need to make sure that a boss' healing is either limited or meant to be a very large threat. Used casually and randomly it's a horribly irritating way to up challenge by making things a slot machine, and used well it is worthy of note that it gives a boss a ton of raw power and that you really need to check the boss in some other ways or make other bosses better or whatever to compensate.

My way of using healing on bosses in Eviltype usually consisted of "Heal+buff doubleturn, so that the player can't just Dispel and completely waste the boss' time.". (Due to FF6 being the way it is, getting any given spell isn't too hard if you make it a priority, so that was a real problem. That, and FF6 buffs kinda, you know. suck, in and of themselves, often.) Not enough healing to sink a full turn of damage by and large, but enough so that the boss clearly came out ahead.

I'm not going to say that there's not an optimal level of healing for a high challenge mode, but I would genuinely have to tinker for a very long time to find it-never occured to me to try my hand at design on that level even as theorycraft. If I had to guess, it would be with multiple tiered healing-high cost, high healing spells, lower cost lower healing spells, etc, but with substantial resource gaps. Think Dragon Quest healing spells except somewhat larger of gaps in cost between lowest and highest.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 08:15:16 PM »
On whether or not there are healing mechanics that work poorly in this setting....

On the minimal healing end, I've already mentioned Vagrant Story, which encourages behavior that is neither fun nor challenging (standing in a doorway for 5 minutes).  I'd argue this is a poor design even in combat (I know there's games where I spent 5 minutes running from a boss to regen health).

On the maximal healing end, you have games like BoF5, where if your party wasn't wiped and you still have items, then everyone gets fully healed.  Not that you can't do challenge in such a system, but it focuses player strategy around a smaller number of questions (like "will I get wiped" and in the case of BoF5 "will I run out of resources").

Now, BoF5 makes a big deal out of resources, but, say, VP Covenant of the Plume does not.  Since revival in that game gives you an immediate turn, even the bonus dungeon figts you're unlikely to lose unless your entire party gets wiped.  (I still adore CotP for making me think deeply even when I'm winning, but it really seems like there's not many ways to put the player in danger of losing, which strikes me as limiting for Lunatic enemy fight designs).

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2010, 08:53:02 PM »
On the minimal healing end, I've already mentioned Vagrant Story, which encourages behavior that is neither fun nor challenging (standing in a doorway for 5 minutes).

Chaincasting Heal to heal after fights is much more effective. MP pool is both 1/5 the size and regens at double the speed of HP.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 10:49:21 PM »
For another example, I would never play WoW.  Any interest I once might have had in it was actually snuffed out by exactly the changes Andrew praises a few posts up.  From my "elitist snob" perspective, the top instance being completed by 1% of players is actually way too high of a percentage considering how many people play the game.  If everyone can do everything, my brain says, then what distinguishes challenge in the game at all?  What do you have to shoot for?  If any random pubbie can waltz into the game, level to 80 and beat up Arthas in a month or two of having their hand held, why bother?  It's not special or deserving of any level of hype - or additional money.  Or money at all.  

Well, for one, it's actual content. Hell and Nightmare aren't entirely new campaigns that are new levels and shit, they're just the same maps with the numbers turned up and less items. DooM WOULD have been hurt if Hell and Nightmare were the only settings in the game and nobody beat them at all for years.