Author Topic: DLC5: House/Area Information(including Hotels)  (Read 4328 times)

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
DLC5: House/Area Information(including Hotels)
« on: July 25, 2010, 01:14:14 AM »
Alrighty, we got a chance to get out and see the con-house itself today, as well as the area around it. So here's what we're looking at.

The House
-Six Bedrooms with 1 double bed each. Two sofas in the living room. So unless folks are willing to share beds, that's 8 people worth of actual sleeping space, and everyone else staying there can find some floor space. Hardwood floors in most rooms instead of carpeting, but there are rugs at least. We have 3 sleeping bags we'll bring for people to borrow. Might not be a bad idea for some folks to bring their own, though. Landlord also stated no issues with people sleeping on the floor here and there, even in rooms not meant to be bedrooms. Really laid back dude. So yeah, we can probably fit 16-20 in here without problems.

-One TV already there in the living room. We can bring our TV and hook it up in the large upstairs bedroom as well. It's an old house with old wiring though, so the circuit breaker may trip every now and again if too many electronics are going at once.

-Folding tables and chairs that can be moved around and setup as needed for board/card game purposes. As well as the space to set them up.

-Kinda small kitchen, with a very small, very old gas stove. I may have to abandon the idea of cooking anything that can feed everyone, sadly.

-Address for the house is: 6506 Eureka Ave. El Cerrito, CA.

Nearby Hotels
For those of you who can't stay in the house, there are a couple of nearby hotels. Of course, of the three in fairly easy walking distance, the closer ones are the worse ones. That's how this shit works, you know. Anyway, here's the info I got from them.

-Super 8 Hotel. $81+tax/night for a 2 Bed room. 10% discount if you have AAA apparently. This is the furthest one out from the con-house but also looks the nicest of the three. If you want to call to make reservations or ask any questions of your own, address is 6009 Potrero Ave, El Cerrito, CA 94530. Phone is: 510-232-0900

-Terrace Inn and Suites. $65+tax/night for a 2 bed room. Closer then the Super 8, but looked a little run down. Still, if you want to fit 4 people in a room to split some costs, hard to beat ~$17/night per person. As above, here's the information. Address: 10869 San Pablo Ave. El Cerrito, CA, 94530. Phone: 510-235-8335. Website: www.terraceinn-suites.com

-Budget Inn. $65+tax/night for a 2 bed room. Closest one to the con-house, but...to be honest, I would never stay there. Frankly looked shady and there was a sign that said all the rooms were smoking rooms, so who knows what it might smell like. There's a Thai restaraunt there, though. Once again, contact info. Address: 10621 San Pablo Ave. El Cerrito, CA, 94530. Phone: 510-526-9020

Those of you capable of doing math will surely note that staying at a hotel(if split 4 ways) is cheaper then staying at the con-house. We obviously really encourage everyone who can pay it to stay at the con-house since, well, we really would like to keep the cost per share down and not end up swallowing huge chunks of it ourself(at least any more then we already planned to).

One last housing option is to stay at our place. So long as someone who can drive is there, Jenna has no problems loaning someone the car and letting them do the trip there and back. No more then 4 people can do this though, but we won't ask any more then paying for the gas and toll on the way back. However, it is a 45 minute drive(accounting for medium traffic) each way. So I really wouldn't reccomend this option unless you're flat broke. Even I'm going to be trying to split a hotel room or squeeze in at the con house out there. The commute's just not worth it.

Things In The Area
Try damn near everything. I'll list off the high points here.

-BART Station roughly half a mile from the con-house. Which apparently has a straight line from the SFO BART, may be an option to get from the airport to the house instead of relying on pickups and driving there from our place.

-Huge freaking shopping center right next to the BART station. It's got a GameStop, a large selection of food(fast and otherwise), and two grocery stores. Even Starbucks and Jamba Juice for random drink cravings. Oh and a bar if you're into that. Also apparently has a farmer's market on saturdays if anyone's interested in checking that out(they have more then just produce. I've found some great lunches at the one we have here before).

-Tons of food options that are not in the shopping center. A burger diner(that's really good, if slow service) that's open 24/7, a couple of pizza places, and more various asian places then I could keep track of.

-Sadly, the beach is not walking distance for anyone besides maybe Tai. Driving distance, sure. We don't have good directions there, but if people want to make a trip out of it, we can get directions. Also no bowling alley that we noticed nearby. We'll do an online search of the area between now and then and see if we can find one, though.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 01:17:49 AM by Gatewalker »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
Re: DLC5: House/Area Information(including Hotels)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 01:28:29 AM »
A couple things:

1) I have some pictures of the beach (Point Isabel) and of the area around the big shopping center/BART that I'll be happy to post a little later tonight, once I go through them.

2) Andrew can get a room (just one) at his hotel at the employee rate of $35/night for whatever days are needed. The downside is that it's not exactly close to a BART station *or* to the con-house. It's cheap, though, and for those of you who have to find a place for Thursday night, it's convenient to the freeway so it won't be a problem for Andrew and I to pick people up when we drive there on Friday.

I go to the beach several times a week with my dog, so if anyone wants to know more about it, I can certainly tell you! For starters, though: it's rocky, not sandy; and it's mainly covered by a dog park, which essentially just means there are a ton of dogs around at most relevant times of the day.

Pics later.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 01:31:36 AM »
The beach is about two miles away from the con house, from the looks of it.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 03:35:05 AM »
Would the hotels not mind about 4 people staying in a 2-bedroom room?
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 03:50:45 AM »
Just wanna comment on how one of the things about the House last time was the lack of conveniences near-bye, like Food and what not.  This seems to not be the case here however, so looks good to me or something!

(I'm pretty laidback for sleeping arrangements, though bringing a sleeping bag may be a chore.)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 03:55:14 AM »

Considering the beds are sized for 2 people per bed(even if they likely won't be used taht way), I'd have to say no, they won't mind at all.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 03:57:09 AM »

As long as you're somewhat discreet at check in (that is, don't ALL of you show up at the desk), it's generally "don't ask, don't tell" so long as there aren't any noise complaints and you're not trying to shove 10 people in there or something.

Anecdata: Andy and I went and stayed in a 2 double bed hotel, reserved as "for 2." We had 3 friends in there with us, and even requested a rollaway bed (remember: 2 double beds for 2 people). No one batted an eye (or, more importantly, charged us extra).

Just wanna comment on how one of the things about the House last time was the lack of conveniences near-bye, like Food and what not.  This seems to not be the case here however, so looks good to me or something!

(I'm pretty laidback for sleeping arrangements, though bringing a sleeping bag may be a chore.)

Local foodstuffs is not an issue here. The shopping center that's ~.4 miles from the house includes a major grocery store, a slew of fast food places, a GameStop, a Barnes and Noble, a craft store, a PetCo, and nearby, as Gate says, there are bars and things. You're going to have access to just about everything you want from this place.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 04:25:57 AM »
Arright, then. Who wants to stay at super 8? I'll be arriving on the 11th which is probably a bit ahead of most, but if anyone else wants to check in then that would be grand. Otherwise, let me know if you want to split the costs for the duration of the con?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 04:32:35 AM »
Will chip in for it, probably be at the house though, but the option there is ++ Good.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 04:36:08 AM »
Speaking of, how much is the house, anyway?

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 05:30:30 AM »
Food was pretty nearby to the last house!

I'll be getting a hotel room the first night. Assuming the house is still near Gate and Jenna's place, get a hotel room around there and hang out with on Thursday. If not, planning!
...into the nightfall.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 06:11:05 AM »
Yeah. The supermarket was in walking distance, plus that awesome fish and chips place.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 06:23:15 AM »
House is 45 minutes from Gate/Jenna's place, and they quoted $70/person for the whole stay to cover the cost of the house.

--
Point Isabel

This is the "beach" that's closest to the house. It's a dog park, but it also has a greenway around the side that you can walk. Access to the beach pretty much requires going into the dog park part, though you can walk up toward the freeway along the water without being in the park.

This is a view of the inlet that leads back to a marsh. That's a picnic table, yes. You access it by going about .5 mile down behind where I took the picture, crossing a bridge, and doubling back. The view to the left from that table (which you can't see because it's foggy) is of San Francisco. Right across is North Bay.

I have no idea what the story is with this. When the tide's low, it STILL doesn't go anywhere. But there's a good example of the "beach."

This is looking back toward the parking lot at the park. To the left is a big hilly, grassy field. There are many of these, but only 2-3 of them are bright green. The rest is dead grass. To the right is the Pacific Ocean. The view in the distance is the San Francisco skyline.

El Cerrito

These were all taken around El Cerrito Plaza, the big shopping center, which is also adjacent to the BART. According to what Gate says, this is about .4 miles from the house (though I think the street photo was taken within 1 block of it).

The BART station, as seen from the driveway exit of the El Cerrito Plaza shopping center.

There's a greenway that runs the length of the BART. It's nice and, well, green. Thin strip of nature in the middle of everything else. Lots of people walk/bike it.

This is a picture of a road. I swear it's Liberty, but I can't remember and I didn't write it down. Anyway, typical El Ceritto road: hilly, with trees and houses.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 06:53:41 AM »
More on Gate's notes:

1) The listing on vrbo mentioned a grill. Did you happen to notice it? I was looking forward to some grilling... and that might also address the "feeding the horde" issues with the tiny stove.

2) Andrew and I have a futon cushion thingy that we may be able to bring. It's a little smaller than a twin sized mattress.

3) I HIGHLY recommend that people flying into SFO (after Friday afternoon/when we are actually allowed in the house, obviously) take the BART. It will be much, much, much easier. The terminals connect directly to the BART, and the BART gets to El Cerrito with minimal transferring. I'm more than happy to help anyone who is considering this plan out how to get there. If you're flying into OAK, it's still a lot easier than having someone come pick you up, but it's a little more annoying since you have to make it from the terminal to the AirBART ($3) to the BART. Again, happy to help anyone who wants to do this plan their connections.

4) Getting to the beach/park by car is very, very easy. I'm going to kill someone if I have to stay in a house with 20 people the entire weekend, so I know I (and my little Civic) will be making at least one trip there at some point. Park's open 5am to 10pm every day. If you don't feel like running all the way down to the beach, there are some parks and the greenway nearby, too.

5) There's a bowling alley -- Albany Bowl -- about a block down from El Cerrito Plaza. I hear mixed things, but hey, it's bowling! I hear the Thai place in it is good eats.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 03:09:06 PM »
I arrive on the evening of the 12th, so need a hotel room that night.  (I will also need to sleep somewhere on the 16th night: do we still have the house then?

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 04:37:26 PM »
Ashley: He did say there was a grill, but I didn't physically see it. He talked about it though, so I'm sure it's there. Grilling is the one form of cooking I can't do though, so if that's going to happen it'll be someone else cooking. I could make some sides or something though, sure.

Met: No, House is for 3 nights. 13th, 14th, 15th. We're in at noon on the 13th and out by noon on the 16th.
<%Laggy> no not really.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 05:55:51 PM »
Who wants to team up for some grilling?
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 07:10:13 PM »
I'd be fine with that.  It's pretty similar to what I do and all.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 10:16:10 PM »
I'm fine with grilling too. Any idea what kind of grill it is? Charcoal, Torkoal, Gas, Nuclear, Meeple?

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 10:16:39 PM »
Alright, since it doesn't seem like anyone's going to need to stay at our place(last I checked anyway), Jenna will want to loan the car to someone so we have it for use during the con(as she will not be spending too much time up at the con area).

Catch is, I can't drive, so it'll need to be someone else. We have insurance that covers drivers who aren't her, so no worries there.

The car's a 2005(I think) Prius, with a GPS system in it and everything.  

So, any volunteers?
<%Laggy> no not really.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 10:19:14 PM »
I'm fine with grilling too. Any idea what kind of grill it is? Charcoal, Torkoal, Gas, Nuclear, Meeple?

I believe the vrbo ad said it was gas.

Alright, since it doesn't seem like anyone's going to need to stay at our place(last I checked anyway), Jenna will want to loan the car to someone so we have it for use during the con(as she will not be spending too much time up at the con area).

Catch is, I can't drive, so it'll need to be someone else. We have insurance that covers drivers who aren't her, so no worries there.

The car's a 2005(I think) Prius, with a GPS system in it and everything.  

So, any volunteers?

You mean no one's staying there during the con, right? Aren't there people staying with you on Thursday? In any case, Andrew and I can coordinate this for you if it turns out no one else can make it work.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:30:24 PM by Lady Door »

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 10:36:11 PM »
That's what I meant, yes.
<%Laggy> no not really.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 01:04:34 AM »
Does it have to be someone with a California Driver's License?

I still have my Florida license, and I would love to drive on the right side of the road again!

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 10:44:23 PM »
I'm good to drive as well.  Completely missed the topic.  The Prius is automatic?  I can do manual as well, so it's not a huge issue.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2010, 05:18:07 PM »
In regards to the grilling - is that something the landlord would provide (cooking fuel)?  I would assume it's ok to use it, but would we need to get our own propane and propane accessories?</HankHill> 

On a more important note: what to do?  The very basics of picnic food (hot dog, hamburger, chips, potato/macaroni/whatever salad, etc.)?  Obviously we'd have to buy any supplies while there, since I don't think coolers are something to bring along on an airplane >_>  Cost should be relatively cheap if everyone gets involved with it.